InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Prayer of Saint Frances ( Chapter 26 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Twenty six
Prayer of Saint Frances: Where There is Darkness
 
Naraku leaned back in the chair with his boots on the desk watching the wall of TV screens. This was more fun than he'd ever imagined.
 
Kanna sat in the broom closet behind the chair. He hadn't put her there but when she tried to hide in the closet he kicked the door behind her and locked it. Oh well less work for me.
 
Kagura looked panicked but he could do more to heighten her fear. Before tonight was over he planned to savor her horror as he would a rib eye steak. She raised her chin and met his gaze through the camera lens.
 
Ah, our girl is smart. She knows I'm watching. She can feel my eyes on her.
 
Reluctantly he picked up the remote and turned half the TV screens to the outside cameras. The sidewalks around the building were full of people but they appeared to all be human. There was no sign of the Inu Yokai. Kagura is living up to her half of the bargain but for how long? Sesshomaru will search for her.
 
Until last night he hadn't realized Sesshomaru and Kagura were together. If he'd known this sooner then he would've played the game differently. But no matter, things are still turning out in my favor.
 
He watched Kagura on half the screens digging behind a counter. She turned to face the camera and was holding up a large sheet of white paper.
Is she holding up a sign? He leaned closer to the wall of screens and read:
 
NARAKU! ARE U AFRIAD OF ME?
 
His blood boiled in his veins. Where the hell does she get off trying to set the rules in my game?
Why would I be afraid of her? She's just a stupid woman. What gall she has. She's like a little poodle who thinks she's the size of a German Shepard.
Kagura stared down the camera lens and shook her fist. She's calling me out. Guess it's showdown time here at the OK Corral. Who knows…maybe there will be enough left of her to leave behind for that mutt bastard of hers.
 
Kagura stared directly at the little red light on the camera. The whole floor was still silent but she knew Naraku had seen her sign. She knew it the same way she knew when it was going to rain. She felt it in the marrow of her bones.
Okay so presumably he is on the move. This means he's not in front of the cameras. So if I wanted to get the jump on him than now would be the time to prepare for that.
She searched the long aisles for the very least, some place to hide. Kagura settled behind a large shelf of dried seahorses and seashells. She still had no real weapon or plan but it seemed smarter to hide while she tried to think.
It was the loudest silence she'd ever known. The air conditioner kicked on and she near lost control of her bladder. No other sounds.
He is playing with me! I know he saw that sign… Damnit!
She leaned her head back against the wall and let the cool air from the a/c vent overhead wash over her face. Maybe I can find that security room he's in. He might not expect me to take the offensive. Unless of course he is still watching me on that camera.
Outraged burst behind her eyes and Kagura fell to her hands and knees. She crept around the shelf and pulled a jaw breaker from her pocket. She narrowed her eyes focusing in on the camera then pitched the hard ball of candy at the camera. It made a direct hit and cracked the camera case. The camera wobbled and fell to the floor.
Score one for the banker! All those years pitching at the ridiculous company soft ball have paid off.
Kagura stood and jogged over to the jaw breaker jaw. I'm taking these with me. She emptied her pockets into the jar and tucked it under her arm.
Kagura proceeded into the next room and in one pitch broke that camera as well. She went carefully room to crowded room taking out every camera she found. If this doesn't get his attention than I don't know what will.
She'd destroyed eight or nine cameras when she came back to the circular iron stair case. Kagura took off her shoes and padded silently up the steps to the loft. Apparently beads weren't as valuable as back scratchers because there was only one camera to break. On a whim she slipped up to the observation deck and dropped a quarter into the telescope. It was too dark to see much but the streets were still crowded. Sesshou, please hurry.
Kagura sat back on her heels and tried to think of the logical place to hide a security office in a multi leveled maze gift shop.
She was ready to climb down when she heard a foot step. It was a tiny nose almost non existent but she knew what she'd heard. Kagura sat palms down on the dirty floor and leaned her head over the edge of the deck peering down. Her pony tail fell forward over her forehead.
A large shadow moved past the wishing fountain many floors below her. She leaned further over the edge and caught a glimpse of a black converse sneaker. Kanna!
Kagura repressed the urge to jump down the stair well and instead counted to fifty in her head.
One Mississippi,
Two Mississippi...
Forty nine Mississippi…
After a minute or more had passed she stood and began to slowly descend the stairs. The upper floors were still quiet. She didn't pause to disable the cameras because she didn't want risk of added noise.
Kagura reached the basement and shuffled through the crowded aisles on her knees. She came to the huge glass hermit crab enclosure and saw Naraku standing right in front her. He leaned forward towards her with his hands on his knees.
“Boo!”
Kagura pulled a jawbreaker from her pocket and bounced it off his forehead. It hit so hard she imagined she heard his skull crack.
He cried out, “Fucking hell!”
“Where's Kanna?” demanded Kagura.
Naraku spat, “She's around. Not that you'll be seeing her.”
Kagura pulled out her last jawbreaker and began tossing it in her right hand. “That was the wrong answer.”
Naraku surprised her by jumping up and catching onto the beam of the low hanging ceiling with both hands. He swung forward and brought both feet hard on her chest knocking her to the ground.
All the air in Kagura's long was squeezed out as she hit the ground hard and winded. Naraku dropped down onto the linoleum floor.
Kagura gasped as he bent over her and pulled her to her feet by the collar of her jacket. He pushed his mouth down on hers and Kagura felt the bile in her stomach rise to her throat. She brought her foot down hard on his. He dropped her and she fell back against a shelf of ceramic plates. The plates flew off the shelf and shattered against the floor. Kagura picked up a broken plate and pointed the sharpest edge at Naraku.
He pulled out a gun and raised the barrel level with her head. He froze at the sound of a slamming door. Kagura's breath stopped. Kanna! Naraku turned and fled in the direction of the door. She followed him up the stairs and into complete darkness.
Where did he go? She was in a room of posters, tapestries and lamps. It was a windowless room and she was forced to find the exit with her hands.
Kagura left the room and was standing in a hall. A large stuffed sword fish hung above her head. A jackolope sat in the coroner. It's beady glass eyes reflected the security lights giving off an eerie glow.
She head up the narrow steps to the shark counter where fossilized megalodon teeth and shark tooth necklaces were sold.
Kagura saw a shadow move against the wall. The huge gaping bleached jaws of a great white shark hung over her head. Where the FUCK is Sesshomaru? Her hand shook with a healthy combination of fear and fury.
She knelt down beside the glass counter and peered through the case. A shrunken head looked back at her, it's lips brutally sewn shut. Kagura gasped and almost fell back. Then she remembered where she was. It's probably just a rubber gag, just like everything else in this place. Just another nasty joke…
She tilted her chin down trying to see if someone was behind the glass case but the glare from the security lights was in her eyes. Foot steps echoed from the floor above her. She heard the tiniest squeak of a rubber soled shoe on the freshly polished floor.
Bingo. He's upstairs, not here.
She slowly rose to her feet and on the other side of the glass counter was Naraku. His back was to the wall, his arm wound tightly around Kanna's neck. His other hand held the gun. His eyes met Kagura's and he pressed the black barrel into Kanna's neck.
Kanna whimpered around her dirty gag and he struck the side her face with the hard gun barrel. Warm blood streamed down her cheek. “Shhh… one word, one move from either of you, that's all it'll take for me to paint the walls of this place with her brains.”
 
Kanna began gasping for air, her heart beat so loud she was certain Naraku could hear it.
He whispered to Kagura, “Throw down your weapon and come here. Nod if you understand.”
Kagura nodded and took a step forward.
Naraku's eye's widened with rage, “Bitch! Drop your God damned weapon!”
Kagura raised her hands. “I've no weapon.”
He couldn't believe that she'd pursued him without a weapon but she took another step and his stomach settled. He motioned her on with the hand holding the gun.
Kagura's voice was barely audible and tears streamed down her face. “Why?”
Naraku gritted his teeth wishing she'd walk faster and get behind his side of the counter. “He's taken everything I ever had including you. I want him to pay.”
“This is all about Sesshomaru?” She was confused.
“He even ruined you.”
Kagura closed her eyes and swallowed. “You never had me.”
Naraku tightened his arm around Kanna's neck and she cried softly. Kagura's fear surged into a white rage. He answered. “That doesn't matter now because you are coming with me.”
To hell I am. “Are you nuts? You can't make it out of here with us.” She held his gaze and felt his anger burn into her being.
 
His lips spread in a tight smile. “I only need to make it outta here with you. Kanna's expendable.”
Her hands formed fists but Kagura stayed where she was silently chanting in her head. Damn it I am the wind, I am the wind. He cannot touch me, I am the wind.
Naraku waved the butt of his gun in her direction. “This baby is fitted with a silencer. Once this is finished just imagine the things I have planned to do to you.”
Kagura's stomach clenched and turned. Sesshomaru was right. I had no business coming here. But then who is to say he would've found Naraku? Perhaps this is fate.
She tossed back. “Maybe, but it's not over yet.”
He held out his hand. “Come here and find out.”
“No, you are going to kill her anyway so why should I make it easier for you.”
Naraku grabbed Kanna's thin t-shirt by the collar and ripped her shirt down the front. Kanna screeched but his hand clapped over her gagged lips further muffling her voice. Her white bra peeked through the ripped material.
“I guess that's true but there so are many different ways for this girl to die.” He ran his hand up Kanna's shaking belly.
Kagura's hand moved before she realized what was happening. She picked up a stuffed piranha mounted on a heavy wooden base and threw it. Naraku caught it on the side of his head with an audible thunk.
Naraku fell back with the force of the blow. Kanna burst free from his grasp but he grabbed her by her arm and threw her back against the wall. He reached out with his foot searching for something.
Kagura look around then understood. The gun, he must've dropped it!
She fell to her knees franticly searching for it blindly in the dark with her hands. While she looked she mentally ticked off the reasons she was going to win. He's crazy and I'm not, at least I wasn't but that may have changed by now. He's taken a good blow to the head but he is a hanyou so who knows what kind of beating he can take. He has to keep a hold of Kanna so he only has one hand free and is searching with his feet and trying to kick the gun back to himself.
Kagura's finger brushed the underside of the display cabinet but no gun. Damn it! She pushed forward and came in contact with Naraku's shoe. He felt her touch his foot, reared back and kicked her across the face, pushing her across the floor.
The pain was blinding but as she skidded back something hard struck her ribcage. The gun! It's gotta be the gun.
Kagura reached out and felt her fingers wrap around the gun barrel. The metal was still warm from Naraku's hand. The gun seemed so innocent just a heavy inanimate object. How can it be so dangerous and powerful? That's it. It's all about the power and now I have it.
Kagura swallowed and stood with the gun dangling in her right hand. Naraku saw her movement and panicked. He spotted the gun and began an inane giggle. His laughter grated on Kagura's raw nerves and made her arms itch. She ignored the impulse to scratch mentally brushing off the sensation as she righted the gun and pointed it at Naraku.
“Bitch you don't have the guts.” He pulled Kanna against his chest and walked his fingers up her bare belly brushing the lacy edge of her simple bra.
Oh yeah, just keep it coming you bastard. Kagura was no stranger to guns and her finger tightened on the trigger. “Freeze!”
Naraku's thick fingers strayed up and over the cup of the bra. Kanna whined and fought her gag.
Kagura was shocked. Until this moment she never realized she had the power to kill another living person. But here it was. She was one trigger finger away from killing him.
Can I live with what this will do to me, and Kanna? How will this moment change our lives? There's no going back. Her hand shook and Naraku licked his lips and began to pull the bra down. His breath was coming in ragged gasps.
Kagura prayed. A soft voice spoke in her right ear. Sesshou
“You don't have to do this. I can jump the counter and tear him to pieces before that finger touches her flesh.”
Kagura cried silently. “No…I think this is how it has to end...”
His breath was warm in her ear. “Are you sure? Killing someone even as deserving as him, changes you…”
Kagura raised her left hand wrapping it around the gun to steady her aim. She nodded and sensed Sesshomaru understood.
Naraku's finger plunged into Kanna's bra and Kagura screeched. “Get you hands off her you son of a bitch!”
He looked up just as she squeezed the trigger. God please don't let me hit Kanna too… She was a good shot in normal conditions but the girl was so close and the room was dark.
The bullet slammed into his upper shoulder farthest from Kanna and he fell back shattering the glass counter with his head. For a moment the air was filled with smoke, glass and blood. The force of the shot threw Kagura back but Sesshomaru was expecting the recoil and braced her against his chest keeping her on her feet.
Kanna fell forward then scrambled away on her hands and knees. Kagura reached down and pulled her to her feet embracing her tightly.
Kagura wept, “Oh God, oh baby…I thought I'd lost you.”
Kanna pressed her face into Kagura's shoulder. “I'm so sorry…”
“Baby it's okay… I love you so much.” She hugged Kanna and was thankful beyond words.
They stood holding each other then Kagura looked up and saw Sesshomaru approaching the groaning body of Naraku. He's still alive? Sesshomaru glanced up taking note of the boot print shaped bruise forming on Kagura's face.
“You should leave now with Kanna.”
Kagura held Kanna's hand. She heard the echo of a footstep and saw Starch standing in the doorway. “Baby go to that man and here, put this on.” She pulled off her windbreaker and passed it to Kanna. Kanna looked at her with unspoken questions but Kagura pointed her chin towards Starch. “Go.”
Kanna nodded, donned the jacket and ran to Starch who led her away. Kagura turned to Sesshomaru.
“Are you sure you want to stay?” His hand hovered over the gasping Naraku.
Kagura took a deep breath. “Yes.” I want to know who you really are and what you are capable of. She was filled with a primeval urge to see it through to the end.
Sesshomaru shrugged and opened his mouth flashing his fangs. His claws lengthened and glowed faintly as he held his hands over Naraku's chest. Naraku's eyes opened.
“Sesshomaru…we were almost brothers”
Sesshomaru's face was expressionless. “Yes,” he replied with a grave finality. “We were.”
He put his hands on Naraku's chest and with bone cracking force pushed his ribcage apart and tore into his living flesh. Naraku screamed and the sound was so horrible it would stay with Kagura for years. Sesshomaru's hands plunged into the great gaping hole that was Naraku's chest and he pulled out a bloody beating heart.
Sesshomaru held the organ over Naraku's face and watched as his still working eyes blink in surprise at the sight of his own palpitating heart. His own blood spattered across his twisted face.
Sesshomaru's words were cool, cutting marble in the presence of brimstone. “With this action I bind you to me. Your plague on this earth has ended.”
Naraku gasped and reached out, grasping for nothing. His unseeing eyes blinked and he fell limp across Sesshomaru's arm.
He pulled an elaborately carved sliver box from his jacket and laid it open on the tile floor. Sesshomaru gently placed the heart in the box then sealed the intricate clasp. A tiny man with a short chin, large derby hat and greenish complexion appeared beside Sesshomaru.
“Lord, shall I take this to the car?”
Sesshomaru closed his eyes. The stench of Naraku's blood was overwhelming. “Yes Jaken that would be appropriate. Where is the nearest washroom?”
The green man in the trench coat replied, “Very well, as you wish. And I do believe there is a restroom behind the Elvis merchandise on the third floor.”
“Thank you.” Sesshomaru opened his eyes and Kagura saw they were glowing in the dim light. He stood letting Naraku's cooling body fall to the floor as if he were a discarded bag of trash.
Kagura was sickened but comforted. Until this moment she never realized it was possible to experience nausea and grim satisfaction simultaneously. That's one way to keep him from harming others.
 
 
She followed Sesshomaru up the narrow stairs and behind the large display of Elvis novelties. She waited while he washed his hands in hot water for what seemed an eternity. Kagura watched as an electric blue alarm clock struck midnight and broke into a chorus of Jail House Rock. It stood beside a hot pink pair of Love Me Tender his and hers matching thong underwear.
How absurd to watch a man die and then five minutes later I'm standing beside all of this? The world is truly a crazy place.
Kagura leaned back with her head against the wall. The past three days came crashing down on her shoulders. She slumped and slid down the wall and sat on the cold, dirty floor. Her mind kept replaying the image of Sesshomaru pressing the lid down on the silver box. Maybe I should've listened and left. But she had to see. She wouldn't have been able to live without knowing.
Kagura wrapped her arms around her legs and pressed her forehead against her knees. Can I ever be okay with this? Her gut clenched. Naraku deserved what happened. I will never question that. But can I love a man who has the ability to flip that switch and literally pull someone's beating heart from his chest?
Everything he told me was true. I'm not of his world. Humans mixing with yokai might not be a good idea. Look what he is capable of. He warned me so many times. But he saved me, had he not been here I would've killed Naraku myself but Sesshou took that burden from me.
God what has this done to Kanna? Her mind conjured the image of Naraku's filthy hand on her little sister's white bra. She slammed her fist down on to the shelf beside her and sent dozens of bobble head Elvis dolls flying in every direction.
The darkest revelation was that she craved the sight of Naraku's blood with a lust she'd never known. It felt good to see him sputter at the sight of his own entrails and she was sickened by her own satisfaction. Kagura's stomach heaved and she tried to remember the last thing she ate. Maybe there isn't anything in there to throw up. Or maybe there is…
She fell to her knees on all fours and heaved. Her stomach clenched with a ferocity unknown to her and she gasped and coughed but nothing came up but spittle and air. She fell back against the wall and rubbed the sweat off her face with the tail of her shirt.
Kagura blinked then broke down into chocking sobs. Damn it, this makes what? The third or fourth time I've cried in as many months. I've never cried this often until I met you, Sesshou. Freaking hell I am gonna pull myself together! She commanded her tears to stop and eventually they slowed. She continued to dab at her face with her shirt.
Now what do I do? Kanna can't go back to USC no matter how smart she is. I need to be able to keep an eye on her. I can't stay in Charleston. Sesshomaru is an expert in evisceration and I think I love him. Where does that leave me?
A pair of crisp, white, blood spattered dress pants stepped into her field of vision. Sesshomaru knelt down before her his hand between his knees. “Am I winning?” he asked in a smooth cool voice.
Kagura's bloodshot eyes met his. “Winning what?”
He put his freshly scrubbed hand on her knee. “The argument you are waging against me in your head.”
The corner of Kagura's lip pulled up in a half smile. “How can I be mad at you when you've done everything I asked of you?”
He smiled softly, “That was my line.”
Sesshomaru took her hand and helped Kagura to her feet. “So where are we off to now? The police station?”
He pulled off his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders. “Yes they need a statement but that is being handled by Jaken. We're going to get a room.”
Kagura raised a brow trying to lighten the moment. “You mean you don't have a beach house.”
Sesshomaru frowned. “Yea Gads woman, this is the strip. No one stays here. I've a condo in Garden City but it's being renovated. The Yachtsman will do for us tonight.”
They climbed down the stairs through the open doors and onto the street. Kanna spotted Kagura and bolted to her.
They embraced and Kagura examined the ruined shirt. “We're gonna have this thing burned.”
Kanna nodded. “Where…is he now?”
Kagura gave Sesshomaru a questioning look. He stepped in. “He has been dealt with. You will never see him again.”
“Thank you.” Kanna whispered. She got her first look at the first man she'd ever seen Kagura trust.
 
Notes:
Thank you BrickWall847 for Beta reading chapters 26 &27!
I dedicate the bloody death of Naraku to you because you've been looking forward to it for so long now. LOL!
 
The fat lady ain't sung yet, this thing has two more chapters left!

Daniel Cleaver: [Daniel Cleaver and Mark Darcy have just had a fistfight over Bridget] You know what, mate? If you are so obsessed with Bridget Jones, why don't you just marry her?
Mark Darcy: [turns away and starts to walk]
Daniel Cleaver: [pause] Cause then she'd definitely shag me.
[
Mark dives again into the fountain]
 
Daniel Cleaver: [after fighting and falling into a fountain together] What are you gonna do now? Drown me in sixteen inches of water?
Mark Darcy: [slight pause] Yes, certainly.
[fight resumes] Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason 2004.
 
Thursday 21st of August Thailand's women's prison
Good things about being in Jail
Not spending any money.
Thighs have really gone down and probably lost at least seven pounds without even trying.
Will be good for hair to leave it without washing such as have never been able to do before as hair too mad looking to go outside.
…… Bridge Jones The Edge of Reason, Helen Fielding 1999.