InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 2: Defiance ❯ Sierra's Birthday ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 19~~
~Sierra's Birthday~
 
~*~
 
 
Toga glanced at his watch without trying to seem obvious that he was checking the time.
 
“Something wrong?”
 
Wincing since he'd been caught, Toga shook his head and shrugged. “I've got plans. I was hoping we could wrap this up.”
 
Kari's smile was tepid. “Sure,” she agreed. “Your girlfriend, right?”
 
“It's her birthday.”
 
“You'd better not be late for that,” Kari mused as she tapped a stack of papers against the table to straighten them before stuffing them back into the file. “Anyway, I think I can handle the rest of this alone.”
 
“Are you sure?” Toga asked, more out of perfunctory courtesy than because he really wanted to help.
 
Kari made a face. “I'm sure. I didn't ask for your help, to start with, remember?”
 
Toga pushed his glasses up as he stood. “Ouch. See what happens when I try to be a gentleman?”
 
Rolling her eyes, she straightened the sleeves of her tailored suit and shrugged offhandedly. “Get lost, Inutaisho. Pretty boys like you are always more concerned with your next big date when you should be focusing on your job.”
 
Toga grabbed his jacket off the back of the chair and tilted his head, pinning Kari with a completely nonplussed expression. “I focus on my job well enough. I've also blown off more than enough dates to take care of `business'. Now, if you don't mind, I've got a promise to keep.”
 
He hurried out of the conference room they'd been using to go over Kari's contracts before she could take another stab at his ego. Brushing off her acidic words was a little more difficult. He wasn't sure why the woman was always so cold and acerbic. She never offered any personal information, and he never bothered to ask. As it was, he was anxious for her mergers to go through so he could stop playing babysitter for her. Her mordant personality was a little more than he could tolerate. Had it not been for his mother's constant insistence that he always show the utmost respect to women, he'd have put her in her place long ago.
 
Noticing the group of people gathered around the elevator, Toga sighed. `Stairs,' he thought as he veered toward the doorway that opened into the stairwell. `Damn . . . I'm going to be late . . .'
 
Tearing down the flights of steps as quickly as he could go, Toga reached the bottom quicker than he would have had he taken the elevator to start with and without the upset to his equilibrium that always accompanied a trip in one of those. By the time he reached his SUV, he'd made up for about ten minutes. `There's something to be said for youkai speed.'
 
It took more time to get into his vehicle and maneuver out of the garage, another ten minutes to actually make it onto the road. Traffic seemed to be backed up, and he sighed.
 
His cell phone trilled. Toga fumbled with the earpiece, checked to make sure the volume control was on the lowest setting, and answered. “Hello?”
 
“Toga? Thank God.”
 
He frowned at the obvious worry and blatant relief in Sierra's voice. “Sierra? What's wrong?”
 
She sighed. “It's all over the news. There's been a pretty big accident near your work. I was afraid you were in it.”
 
Grimacing since that would account for the lag in traffic but would also ensure that he didn't reach Sierra's any time soon. “No . . . but I think I'm behind it. I'm sorry.”
 
She laughed. “Don't be. As long as you're fine, I can wait.”
 
He frowned. “But the reservations I made can't be held, and it doesn't look like I'll be moving anytime soon.”
 
“That's fine . . . I've got stuff here. I could make a nice dinner for us. You don't have to take me anywhere.”
 
For some reason, that she was being so accommodating only made him feel more like a heel even though he realized well enough that it wasn't his fault—at least it wasn't this time. “All right,” he agreed. “If I don't make it in time, I'll take you out another night.”
 
“Okay.” He smiled when he heard the pup whimpering in the background. “Oh, I've got to go. The puppy wants out,” Sierra apologized.
 
“I'll see you soon, then,” he told her. “And you'd better name that pup before she starts thinking she doesn't have a name at all.”
 
She laughed, and the melancholy that had settled around him like a shroud seemed to dissipate. “All right! You can help me with that.”
 
Toga chuckled and clicked off the phone.
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
“A book?”
 
“Oh, you think I'm cheap now?”
 
“Another necklace?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“A third world country?”
 
Toga laughed and tugged on Sierra's hand. “Come on.”
 
“I still think dessert was enough,” she informed him as he led her toward the sofa to sit down. “You're not being very fair.”
 
He shot her a droll sort of look and raised his eyebrows. “I'm not giving you your present until after you name that pup.”
 
She heaved a sigh designed to let him know what she thought of his secrets. “But you didn't like the first one I came up with!” she protested.
 
Toga shook his head. “I didn't mind it. She didn't like it.”
 
Sierra rolled her eyes. “What's wrong with Honey?”
 
Toga wrinkled his nose. “Too cutesy.” When Sierra's gaze narrowed, Toga pointed at the pup, who was lying on the floor with her nose in her paws.
 
“Okay . . . Daisy?”
 
Toga stared at the pup. She raised her head and then lowered it again. “Nope.”
 
“Duchess?”
 
“Uh uh.”
 
“Princess?”
 
“Nuhh.”
 
“Sugarbear?”
 
Toga did a double take. “She's not a bear.”
 
Sierra heaved another sigh. “I have no idea, then. You can talk to her, right? Ask her.”
 
Toga shook his head slowly but turned to stare at the pup, uttering a low growl that didn't sound menacing but did sound like a demand. The puppy stared back at him, whining softly. Toga returned his growl before the puppy whimpered then wagged her tail happily.
 
“Well?”
 
Toga shot her a sheepish grin. “Well . . . she said she wanted a name that meant something to my family, so I suggested one that means something to Uncle Yasha and Aunt Gome.”
 
“And what name is that?”
 
Toga shrugged. “Kirara.”
 
“Kirara . . . the cat youkai? But—”
 
Toga winced. “It was that or koishii, and I just didn't think that would be right.”
 
“What's that? Koishii?”
 
Toga let out his breath as his cheeks reddened slightly. “It means `beloved' or `cherished'.”
 
Sierra stared at him for a few seconds before bursting out in laughter. “Kirara it is,” she giggled. “Does my puppy have a crush on you?”
 
Toga's blush darkened. “I think it's time for your present,” he announced in an effort to distract her.
 
A knock on the door interrupted them. Sierra hopped up and ran over to answer it. Toga dug the small present out of his jacket pocket and set it on the coffee table while he waited for Sierra to come back.
 
Staring at the manila envelope in her hands with a marked frown, she sat back down on the sofa.
 
“What's that?”
 
She shook her head as she turned it over, staring at the return address on the courier service label. “I have no idea. It just says, `RK'.” A sudden darkness clouded her features, and she pushed the envelope at Toga. “You open it.”
 
Toga hesitantly took it. “Are you sure?”
 
She nodded. “I have this weird feeling . . . I don't think I want to know what that is.”
 
Toga opened the envelope slowly and drew out the papers inside. Casting her a quick glance, he read the letter out loud.
 
.
 
`My darling daughter,
 
`I asked your father to locate you to see if you would come. I would love to meet you. I wish to see what sort of person you've grown to be. There are some things that I must tell you, and I hope this makes it to you on time. Consider it a birthday present, and know that you've always been in my heart. My husband tells me that your name is Sierra. That's a lovely name. I wanted to name you Coral, according to family lore. There are so many things I want to tell you. I hope you use this, and I pray you come to me soon.
 
`All my love forever,
 
`Your Mother.'”
 
.
 
Toga finished reading and set the letter aside before handing Sierra the plane ticket.
 
Holding the slip of cardboard paper very carefully in her hands, she looked like she thought it was going to bite her. Her face was pale, her eyes wide and staring. Her upset came at her in overwhelming waves, and she dropped the slip of paper as she raised her questioning gaze to meet his. “What do I do?”
 
Toga shook his head. As much as he'd love to help her, he really couldn't make this sort of decision for her. He did the only thing he could think of as he pulled her close and held her. “I don't know, Sierra. That's up to you. What do you want to do?”
 
She let her forehead fall against his shoulder and snuggled closer to him. “I don't know,” she whispered. “I just . . . don't know.”
 
“You know . . . you're not supposed to be so sad on your birthday,” he informed her, trying to cajole her out of her upset.
 
His gentle teasing seemed to have the opposite effect as she choked back a quiet sob.
 
“Sierra . . . don't . . .” he begged, trying to soothe her as she dissolved in tears.
 
She shook her head, her hand balling into a tight fist. “I'm s-sorry,” she stuttered between sobbing breaths. “I feel so st-stupid!”
 
Squeezing his eyes closed, Toga sighed and tightened his arms around her. “You're anything but stupid . . .” `Damn them! How dare they do this to her on her birthday! What kind of parents would do that?' He opened his eyes as an angry veil dropped over his golden gaze. `The same kind that would abandon their child, I suppose . . . Bastards . . .'
 
She leaned away, swiping furiously at her tears. “I don't know what I want . . . I mean, I do . . . I don't want to see them; not now, not ever.”
 
Toga waited for her to finish, sensing the unspoken `but' in her words.
 
Tucking her legs under her as she glared at her hands and sniffled, Sierra took the kerchief Toga pulled from his jacket and smoothed it neatly. Folding it then snapping it open only to refold it all over again and again, Sierra seemed to be gathering her thoughts before she dared to put them into words. “I think . . . I think I have to see them. I think I deserve to have some answers.”
 
“Answers to what?”
 
She shrugged. “Why they gave me up . . . why they want to mess around in my life. . . Why they think they have the right to do that now that it's convenient for them . . .”
 
He didn't know what to say about that. In the end, he didn't say anything as he gently placed his hand over hers.
 
Struggling to give voice to whatever thoughts plagued her mind, she looked so miserable, so entirely alone, that Toga had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from growling in anger. “Will you . . . will you come with me?”
 
Toga managed a small grin. “You know I will.”
 
Some of the tenseness in her seemed to drain away with his reassurance as she stared at him, her expression cautious yet hopeful, mingled emotions that rose from her heart. “You'll protect me.”
 
He nodded as she leaned toward him once more, content to relax against him, satisfied to accept whatever support he was willing to give her. “I'll protect you, Sierra, forever.”
 
“Forever,” she repeated, tangling his hair around her fingers. “Toga . . . what does that mean to you?”
 
He tipped her chin up with his fingers, made her look him in the eye. “It means that I won't let anything hurt you, if I can help it, ever.”
 
She frowned and opened her mouth to question him further. He pressed a fingertip against her lips and smiled. “Let's worry about you and this meeting first, all right? After that . . . I'll tell you what forever really means to me.”
 
“All right,” she agreed. “Do you think . . . ?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
She sighed. “Never mind. It was . . .”
 
“Remember when you said I shouldn't keep secrets from you?”
 
She nodded.
 
“Then it goes both ways. Now tell me.”
 
Her cheeks pinked as she avoided looking at him. “I just . . . I wondered . . . will you stay? Tonight? I . . . I don't want to be alone.”
 
Toga smiled. “I won't leave you alone. All you had to do was ask.”
 
She smiled shyly at first then a little brighter. “Thank you.” Suddenly, she giggled softly, her smile genuine though the shadows that lingered in her eyes remained. “Now . . . about that present . . . ?”
 
He chuckled and grabbed the small package off the table. “This, you mean?”
 
She reached for it as he pulled it out of her reach. “Toga!”
 
His laughter escalated as he gave in and let her have the gold-foil wrapped box.
 
Ripping off the paper, Sierra opened the small box to stare at the pillbox-sized porcelain and gold music box. She dropped the white cardboard on the floor as she gazed at the intricately carved and painted piece. Toga stuck his finger underneath and flipped the latch that popped open the lid as the soft chime started to play.
 
Sonata for Piano Number Fourteen,” Toga supplied as Sierra gently touched the lid. “Beethoven.”
 
“The Moonlight Sonata,” Sierra whispered. “Toga . . .”
 
He shrugged, trying for an air of nonchalance. “I'd hoped that you'd like it.”
 
She shook her head and hugged him tightly. “I love it.”
 
“I'll have to buy you gifts more often,” he joked as she clung to him.
 
She laughed and pulled away long enough to set the opened music box on the table before wrapping her arms around him once more. “I don't want gifts, Toga. I just love being with you.”
 
He stilled for a moment. “You . . . do?”
 
“Yeah, I do,” she said as she cuddled against him again.
 
A sense of well-being tempered by the sadness of her aura lingered around him, and he sighed, pulling her just a little closer, willing her to understand that he was exactly where he wanted to be. “I love being with you, too.”
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~* ~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Kyonarai ------ angelica incarnate ------ DarklessVasion ------ Iggy Lovechild
==========
FFnet
Drake Clawfang ------ myeerah ------ Ryguy5387 ------ Flames101 ------ zanaka ------ Fairia13 ------ Jasmine Fields ------ grand admiral chelli ------ Proforce ------ lil-epad ------ SilverStarWing ------ Aspendragon ------ Un4given Miko
==========
AFFnet ------ AScom
moon_girl ------ Sess_2005 (hmm.. Toga's mad at Daddy but… he does have respect for him… ) ------ fruitcake ------ akdreamer ------ Sess_2005 (Sure… but Toga's not trying to hide… just wants to keep humans from finding out too much… )
==========
Final Thought from Sierra:
I don't think this is going to go well . . .
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Defiance): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~