InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 3: Forever ❯ Separation ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter9~~
~Separation~
 
`It's so quiet.'
 
Nezumi sipped the mug of tea as she stared out over the cityscape as the ribbons of foggy oranges and pinks of dawn streaked the sky. The breeze rippled through her hair, and she brushed aside the unsettling feeling of being lonely. It had been two days since she'd sent Ryomaru away. Part of her had wished that he had argued with her a little more. Part of her was glad he'd finally listened. What had surprised her most was the unsettling feeling of emptiness that washed over her as he closed the door. She hadn't really counted on that, had she?
 
Kagome had slipped into her room so quietly that it took Nezumi a moment to realize that she was there. Staring at her with such a concerned look on her face, Kagome had tried to smile but couldn't manage it.
 
You're not happy with my son, are you?
 
Nezumi hooked a lock of hair behind her ear and shrugged. “More like he isn't happy with me,” she muttered, willing her cheeks not to redden as her skin warmed painfully.
 
Are you sure?
 
She shrugged again. “Yeah, I'm sure.”
 
Kagome sat down on the bed beside her and leaned forward to look at Nezumi's face. “Deirdre, can I ask you something? You can tell me the truth. Do you think you could be happy with Ryomaru?
 
Nezumi made a face. “You mean, if I can believe that what he's said is true?
 
It is true . . . I know, it's hard to think of things that way, isn't it? But . . . wasn't there some reason you let him . . . ? I've known you a long time. You can't tell me you'd just casually sleep with a guy. I know you better than that.”
 
I . . . It wasn't supposed to be like this,” she whispered, wondering just why she was admitting anything at all to Ryomaru's mother. “It was . . . it was stupid.”
 
Maybe not stupid,” Kagome chided gently, pushing Nezumi's hair behind her ear. “I've watched you two grow up. I remember the first time he brought you home. He's always been so protective of you. Did you know that?
 
Nezumi shook her head, staring at her hands with a thoughtful frown. “He's my friend.”
 
When I met InuYasha, he was still very hurt. He'd been betrayed by his first love, or so he had thought. It took a long time, but we became friends first. He was my best friend. He still is.”
 
I don't think it's the same,” Nezumi said with a simplistic shrug. “I trust him . . . I just don't know if I . . . trust him. How do you trust someone who comes home with another girl's phone number written in makeup?
 
Kagome made a face. “Maybe she didn't have paper? Maybe he was just humoring her?
 
It was across his chest.”
 
Come again?
 
Nezumi sighed. “She wrote it in lip-liner across his chest.”
 
When did this . . . happen?
 
Last night.”
 
Oh . . .”
 
Shaking her head, Nezumi smashed her palms together and tucked her hands between her knees. “I can't think when he's here . . . I can't . . . I can't believe him. I just can't.”
 
Kagome nodded slowly as she draped her arm around Nezumi's shoulders. “How old were you when your mother died?
 
Seven.”
 
She never got to explain things to you, did she?
 
Things like what?
 
Just things . . . Things my mother taught me. It's okay to be confused. It's okay to cry. It's even okay to doubt your own feelings, but it's not okay to ignore what you feel in your heart. Everything's been harder for you, because you didn't have your mother. I'm sure she would have taught you all this if she could have.”
 
Nezumi shrugged. “She doesn't really have anything to do with Ryo, does she?
 
Maybe. There are some things that only a mother can explain.”
 
I don't think it's like that.”
 
Kagome clucked her tongue. “Are you sure? You're a beautiful girl, you know.” She frowned and sighed as she gave Nezumi's shoulders another quick squeeze. Maybe you really don't know, and Ryomaru hasn't done a good job of explaining things to you, either, has he?
 
I can't believe what he's said . . .”
 
Why? Because you would have to believe that it was all your fault?” Nezumi's head snapped to the side to stare at Kagome, and she couldn't hide the guilt in her expression before she quickly looked away. Kagome laughed softly and squeezed Nezumi's shoulders. “Strange thing about youkai and hanyous: claiming a mate is serious business. It isn't something that they just do. Maybe instead of blaming yourself, you should consider the idea that there might be a little more to it than either of you have thought of.”
 
Nezumi didn't answer. It would alleviate the guilt, wouldn't it? Make it convenient for her . . . but convenient wouldn't make it true. She doubted anything really would.
 
She stood up and took Nezumi's arm, pulling her to her feet. “Come on. I'll tell Ryomaru that he should leave you alone for now, give you some time and space. Would that help?
 
Nezumi managed a weak smile. “No . . . I'll tell him,” she said as she drew a deep breath and headed for the door.
 
`And the rest, as they say, is history,' Nezumi thought sadly as she lifted the mug to her lips again.
 
If they hadn't been friends for so long, if she didn't know everything about him, would things be any different now? `I know him . . . everything about him . . . everything he's done, all the women he's bragged about . . . That night wasn't supposed to mean anything to him, right? That night . . . it was just meant to be mine . . .'
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
I . . . I don't think you should stay here anymore . . . and your mother agrees.”
 
Ryomaru winced inwardly and stared at the cup of ramen in front of him without really seeing it. Tepid now and not really worth eating, he'd been turning the Styrofoam cup around in his hands for almost an hour.
 
He'd come up with and discarded at least a thousand reasons why he needed to go see Nezumi. They all seemed stupid and shallow, and not one of them seemed at all plausible. `Feh! She'd slam the door in my face, and really, can I blame her? Damn, I've really fucked up . . .'
 
And his mother . . .
 
He snorted. Irritated enough that he refused to go home, he had opted instead to stay with Grandma Higurashi. While she hadn't asked questions, he could tell that she wanted to. `Nez is my mate, damn it! I shouldn't be here! I should be there, with her! Mother . . . Mother should know that, too . . .'
 
So why did she take Nezumi's side? Why was anyone taking sides? He'd fix it. He was trying. He'd done nothing but try since the morning after it all happened, hadn't he?
 
But maybe . . .
 
`Maybe I'm not trying the right things . . .'
 
“If your head hangs any lower, your chin will drag on the table.”
 
Ryomaru blinked and forced a wan smile as he glanced at his grandmother. “Feh. I'm fine.”
 
She didn't look like she believed him. She started to say something when the sound of the front door drew her attention. Ryomaru sat up straighter, tightening his grip on the cup as the familiar scent of his mother announced her arrival seconds before her voice rang through the quiet shrine house.
 
“Hi, Mama,” Kagome greeted as she breezed into the kitchen, hurrying past him to hug Grandma Higurashi before she came back to wrap her arms around Ryomaru's shoulders and kiss his cheek. “I've missed you, Ryomaru. Are you ever coming over to visit? You're always welcome at home, you know.”
 
Ryomaru shrugged. “I know.”
 
Kagome sighed and let go before pouring herself a cup of tea and slipping into the chair across from him.
 
“What's going on?” Grandma finally asked, glancing from daughter to grandson and back again.
 
He kept his gaze locked on the cup. Kagome stared at him for a moment then sighed again. “Ryomaru . . . Nezumi needs some time to deal with all of this,” she said softly, ignoring her mother's question as she leaned forward and held her hands out toward her son. “It's a lot to digest in such a short time.”
 
Ryomaru stubbornly refused to answer as his hands tightened just a little more.
 
“Have you tried talking to her?” Grandma asked as she stared at the cup.
 
“I don't think that's a good idea,” Kagome hurried to say. “I mean, she's really confused . . . give her a few more days at least . . . maybe a week.”
 
`A week?' Ryomaru fumed, now glaring at the cup like it had offended him in the worst way. `Fucking---'
 
“Deirdre is such a lovely girl,” Grandma commented as she turned her attention to Kagome. “A little misguided, but you really can't fault her for that. Poor thing lost her mother so early on . . .”
 
`Poor thing? Kami, Nez would freak if she heard that.'
 
“I know . . . I just want to hug her,” Kagome admitted with a shake of her head.
 
`Hug her, huh? Good luck with that. She won't let me kiss her. She sure as hell won't let you hug her.'
 
“It wouldn't be so bad if things had happened in the right order,” Kagome went on. “She had no idea that . . . She didn't know.”
 
`How could she know? You and the old man insisted I not tell anyone what I am!'
 
“Well, InuYasha and you have been adamant that the children not tell anyone of their heritage,” Grandma reasoned.
 
`Thank you, Grandma. I love you.'
 
“Still . . . Ryomaru should have known better.”
 
The Styrofoam cup exploded as Ryomaru's grasp tightened too much. Ramen shot out of the cup and oozed down over his hands. Both women jumped, and Grandma hurried to retrieve a towel. Kagome sighed and slowly shook her head.
 
“I'm right here, Mother,” he growled as he finally lifted his glower off the cup and stared Kagome in the eye. “I'm not a damn pup anymore. Stop trying to fix everything.”
 
Kagome's eyebrows drew together as she gazed at him with obvious concern. “I'm not trying to fix anything, Ryo. You want me to talk to you like you're not a pup anymore? Then tell me why Deirdre would rather believe that you're lying to her than to think that you really are her mate.”
 
He took the towel Grandma offered him and wiped his hands as she scooped the noodles off the table into the trashcan. “Because she's stubborn.”
 
Kagome took her time in answering; waiting until after Grandma had wiped off the table and sat down once more. “She's your best friend, right? You know her better than anyone?”
 
“Feh! Of course I do!”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
He jerked his head once in reply.
 
“I'm not telling you to give up,” Kagome said, her voice soothing, comforting, reminding him of scraped knees and Mama-kisses that somehow made the hurt go away. Funny how the Mama-kisses had lost their magical properties over the years. Odd how things changed. “Just be careful. She's tough, but she's still a woman, and in many ways, she's still the same little girl you brought home years ago.”
 
Ryomaru stared at his mother for a long moment before standing up so quickly that his chair skidded backward and fell over. He didn't look back as he strode to the front door and slammed it behind him.
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
“Ryomaru? Will you come down from there?”
 
Peeking down through the branches of Goshinboku, Ryomaru stared at his grandmother for a moment before straightening his back proudly and staring off over the forest again.
 
“You remind me of your father. He used to sit up there just like that . . . especially when he was thinking about your mother.”
 
Ryomaru shook his head slowly. For a long moment, he could feel her gaze on him. He heard her sigh before she turned and started back toward the house.
 
“How can you see someone every day of your life and not really see her?” he asked loudly enough for her to hear him.
 
Grandma stopped and wandered back toward the base of the tree. “Sometimes we don't see what we're not looking for.”
 
Dropping out of the tree with a grunt as he landed in front of her, Ryomaru straightened up and crossed his arms over his chest. “I'm going over there.”
 
Grandma Higurashi's raven eyebrows rose, and she nodded. “I'm surprised you waited this long,” she admitted. “Just behave yourself.”
 
Ryomaru winced despite himself. “Yes, Grandmother.”
 
She caught his forearm as he started to stride away. “Ryo, it might be to your benefit if you don't show up empty-handed.”
 
He shook his head. “What do you mean?”
 
She smiled and cupped his cheek with a gentle hand. “A peace offering can work wonders.”
 
Rubbing a hand over his face, Ryomaru nodded slowly before he hugged Grandma Higurashi and strode toward the stairs that led to the street. `A peace offering, huh? What sort of peace offering? Flowers won't work . . . She'd laugh in my face, or worse . . . So what do I do?'
 
A slow grin lit his gaze, filtered over his face as he stepped onto the street in front of the shrine. `All right, Nez . . . Game on.'
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
Nezumi made a face as she stared in disgust at the frozen dinner. With a sigh, she jerked open the freezer and tossed the box back inside. `I could go out to get something,' she thought with a grimace as she closed the door. Sure, she could do that. She just didn't want to.
 
Crossing her arms over her chest as she turned away from the refrigerator, her gaze fell on the phone. As if her subconscious was goading her, she stepped toward the apparatus, reaching for the receiver before she jerked her hand back. `I made him leave, remember? He's probably out chasing girls . . . or something . . .'
 
She missed him.
 
`I don't miss him! That's ridiculous! He's annoying as hell: stubborn, pouting, overbearing . . .'
 
`. . . Thoughtful when he wants to be, the first to defend you, dependable, and you know, there's something to be said about his ears, too . . .'
 
`Oh, shut up! You're not helping . . .'
 
`Puh-leez, Nezumi . . . I'm you, remember?'
 
She snorted.
 
The knock on the door drew her out of her reverie, and she gasped as her heart missed a beat. `Quit that! It isn't him . . . Ryo has a key; he doesn't knock.'
 
She sighed as she opened the door, stopping short as she blinked in shock at the hanyou. “Ryo?”
 
“Uh . . . hi.”
 
“Were you in the neighborhood?”
 
He shook his head. “Nope. I came over to give you these.”
 
She frowned as he dug into his jacket pocket and produced two tickets for something. Her gaze narrowed as he bit his bottom lip and slowly held them out to her. He seemed . . . nervous? Ryomaru? Why?
 
Hesitantly, she took the tickets and after a last long look at him, she lowered her gaze. `Tokyo Classic Car Exhibit . . . ?' She shook her head. “Ryo?”
 
“I couldn't think of a damn thing you'd like better than that. I know, it's not till next weekend, and I'm sorry, but . . . You . . . want to come with me? Now, I mean?”
 
“Where to?”
 
He shrugged carelessly and grinned. “Just . . . come on.” His smile faded as a hint of uncertainty entered his expression. Nezumi stared in mild surprise. She'd never seen Ryo behave quite like this before. “Unless you've got plans.”
 
She frowned at the undisguised hostility in his tone. “You gonna feed me?”
 
Ryomaru's grin returned as he started to reach for her hand. “That was the plan.”
 
She stared at his outstretched palm, at the claws that curved up over his fingertips. Golden eyes shining with a hopeful light as he wiggled his fingers and twitched his ears, Ryomaru plucked the tickets out of her hand and tossed them onto the table. Nezumi laughed despite herself and shook her head in disbelief. She'd forgotten just how charming Ryomaru really could be.
 
“Let me get a jacket,” she mumbled as she turned to run back to her room.
 
Ryomaru caught her arm and pulled her back. He shrugged off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders.
 
“Don't you need this?”
 
He shrugged as he took her hand. “Nope. I'm hanyou, remember?”
 
“You said when you bought it that you weren't loaning it out.”
 
He shot her a sidelong glance as she turned the deadbolt lock and pulled the door closed behind her. “I did, didn't I?”
 
Stuffing her keys into her pocket, she shrugged. “You want it back?”
 
“Nah,” he drawled as he started down the hallway. “Looks better on you, anyway.”
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~ *~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Nymphminxgoddess ::: JaskoLefey ::: Suze ::: Deirdre ::: Iggy Lovechild ::: serendith ::: rowan_lynn ::: tinkerbell ::: Zatanna ::: peachykeen ::: notzathros ::: foamyfan15010 ::: fruitcake ::: bloomz-baby ::: adamile ::: Inuyashin ::: Firetrixs ::: me (no …) ::: DarklessVasion
==========
FFnet
MissMusicality ::: Drake Clawfang ::: SilverStarWing ::: Rinicat ::: Flames101 ::: My Own Self ::: Ryguy5387 ::: Nel ::: Luke//Shaehl ::: WiccanMethuselah ::: btrains126 ::: Kalara ::: ILOVEINUS589 ::: PlaidDragon25 ::: agent-doo ::: AnthyRose ::: GetitCJC ::: kawaii-shippo-lover
eave
 
==========
AFFnet
Rawben ::: Fairia13 ::: Meres ::: Eve Nightingale ::: OROsan7706 ::: inugrl15 ::: bradhadair ::: Yasha 101 ::: rain ::: obsesed_wit_fluffy ::: CheshireAngel ::: Dark Slayer ::: Breezy99 ::: littleolmee ::: Jaxomruth ::: Tenacious D ::: cablefast ::: deep serenity ::: jragoneyes ::: Psycho Koneko (they look pretty much the same since neither is aging like normal) ::: Rachel ::: Sess_2005
==========
Final Thought from Nezumi:
Where is he taking me?
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Forever): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~