InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity ❯ Purity ( Chapter 54 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
~~Chapter 54~~
~Purity~

"Sit down and wait, InuYasha. Prowling around like the half-breed you are isn't going to help the miko, and it's just frustrating me more and more."

InuYasha glared at Sesshoumaru. "Drop dead, bastard. What the fuck is taking so long?"

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Toga repeated happily, sitting in the chair beside his father. He was looking at a picture book but had obviously been paying a little too much attention to the adults.

Sesshoumaru shot InuYasha an irritated glare. "Thank you, Inu-baka. Do you have any idea how long it took to get Kagura out of her snit over the Kongousouha—not to mention the drunken display in the back yard later?" He turned to his son. "Toga, that isn't a nice word, and InuYasha is a baka for saying it around you."

InuYasha didn't rise to the bait. He wanted to be with Kagome. He wanted to hold her and tell her that it would be all right. She'd looked a little frightened and in a lot of pain when he'd rushed her into the hospital earlier. He'd gone in with Kagome in the beginning. When her first true pain had come, though, and she'd screamed, InuYasha had pinned the youkai doctor against the wall while issuing dire threats under his breath. They had to bring Sesshoumaru in to remove him from the room, and he hadn't been allowed back in since.

At least Kagome wasn't alone. Kagura, Rin, and Mrs. Higurashi were all in there with her. Surely they'd come tell him if something was wrong, wouldn't they?

He flopped into the seat next to Souta. "InuYasha? Do you think nee-chan's okay? They've been in there for forever . . ."

InuYasha turned his head slowly to stab Souta with the darkest glower he could manage before he shot out of his chair and started pacing again. `Come on, Kagome . . . You're okay, right?'

"She'll be fine. She's always been stronger than you," Shippou remarked. He was lounging in a chair without a care in the world, judging by his demeanor.

"Shut up, Shippou, or I swear, I'll—"

"Uh-hum."

The room fell completely quiet. InuYasha stopped mid-stride to stare at Rin. She caught his worried expression and smiled as a tear spilled over to run down her cheek. "What . . . is it?" he heard himself ask in a tone that didn't seem to sound like him at all.

Rin sniffled and waved her hand. "Oh, I always cry when I'm happy! I didn't mean to worry you! Kagome's fine, and . . . you are a father, but—"

That was all InuYasha waited to hear. Rin barely had time to flatten herself against the doorway as InuYasha bolted past. Shippou stood up and wandered over to his wife. He hadn't missed the `but'. "'But' what, Rin?"

She turned to stare at her husband as tears filled her eyes again. Her smile trembled precariously, and she drew a deep breath before speaking. "He's just in for a big surprise; that's all . . ."


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


InuY asha stepped into the delivery room and growled low. Kagura and Mrs. Higurashi were both blocking his view, and he could only see Kagome's legs outlined under the blankets.

"Congratulations, Izayoi-san. Kami-sama has smiled upon you!" one of the nurses said as she patted his arm. The doctor saw InuYasha and tried his best to stay out of his way. InuYasha didn't spare him a second glance as he slowly stepped toward the bed.

Kagura caught him out of the corner of her eye, and she touched Mrs. Higurashi's shoulder gently. Kagome's mother turned and smiled through a veil of tears before kissing her daughter's cheek. With quietly uttered well wishes, the women left.

"You're okay, right?" he asked, desperately needing to hear it from her lips that she was fine despite the smile on her face. Hair disheveled, skin pale, dark smudges under her eyes . . . yet her smile was radiant and she reached for his hand.

"I'm fine. Oh! There they are!"

InuYasha turned to see who had come into the room and did a double take. Two nurses, each holding a squirming bundle of blue blankets came in. They placed one in each of Kagome's arms before leaving as quietly as they had come.

InuYasha's mouth hung wide open as he stared, mute.

"Do you want to meet your sons, InuYasha?" Kagome asked quietly.

He sat gingerly on the edge of the bed, slowly reaching out to push the blanket down, away from the nearest pup's face. "Two?" he asked incredulously, finally finding his voice. "Sons?" They were identical, those pups. The same shining silvery white hair, the same tiny pup ears . . . The ears were still flattened down, hidden by the copious amount of fine hair. They'd perk up in a week or two . . .

She grinned. "We both win, then, don't we?" InuYasha blinked, confused. Kagome giggled. "The names, InuYasha. We can both use the name we liked."

He made a face. It was an argument they'd had for the last nine months, what to name their child. He supposed she was right. He reached over and carefully lifted one of the babies out of Kagome's arm. He rubbed his knuckle against the tiny hand sticking out of the blanket. The baby's fist opened; the hand wrapping around InuYasha's finger. His vision blurred as he noticed the wee claws on each of the pup's fingertips. He blinked furiously. "Your mother wants to name you Kichiro," he said, his voice rough, uneven.

Kagome sighed softly. "And that would make you Ryomaru," she cooed to the other bundle.

InuYasha lifted his gaze. Kagome's eyes were awash with unshed tears, but they were tears of happiness. He opened his mouth to speak, to tell her how much she meant to him, how much he loved her. Somehow, words didn't seem right. He scooted forward and kissed her gently.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


"Inu Yasha, can you get that?" Kagome called from the bedroom as the doorbell rang.

He scooped up Ryomaru and headed for the front door. Kichiro squealed in protest. InuYasha grinned. His sons really hated having baths . . .

Sesshoumaru entered the house and took Ryomaru out of InuYasha's arms. Kagura shook her head as her children swarmed InuYasha's legs.

"Yasha-jiji!" Toga exclaimed. "When Ryo and Kichiro get bigger, can I play with them?"

InuYasha grinned. "I don't see why not."

"Ryomaru. A good, strong name," Sesshoumaru remarked.

Kagome came around the corner with Kichiro snuggled in her arms. Kagura reached out for the baby, and Kagome let her take him.

"Fine sons, InuYasha. You finally did something right, though I doubt you had much at all to do with it. I've little reservations that it was purely the miko's influence at work."

"Jealous, Sesshoumaru? I had two sons at once and you were only able to produce one?"

"InuYasha!" Kagome chastised, her cheeks pinking as she rolled her eyes.

"Baka," Sesshoumaru remarked blandly, ignoring InuYasha's not-so-subtle jibe.

InuYasha snorted as Kagome lifted Aiko into her arms. In the six weeks since the pups were born, he had to admit, Kagome's figure seemed unaffected by the occasion . . . other than some marked swelling in certain areas . . .

The doorbell rang again. Kagome led Kagura and Sesshoumaru into the living room while InuYasha opened the door to admit Shippou, Rin, and Kagome's family.

Mrs. Higurashi gave InuYasha a hug and kissed his cheek as everyone else made a beeline for the babies. "And how's the proud father holding up?"

"It's not so bad," he allowed with a small smile. "I could do without the diapering business, but not bad."

She smiled and headed off to locate Kagome and the boys. InuYasha followed slowly, pausing in the doorway just to watch. Shippou was making faces at Kichiro in an effort to make the baby laugh. Kichiro little face screwed up just before he opened his mouth to howl.

"Look what you did!" Rin chided as she took the upset baby from her husband.

Kagura leaned in to whisper something to Sesshoumaru. He nodded then bent down to whisper something back. Kagura flushed but smiled.

Souta and Kagome's grandfather stared over Mrs. Higurashi's shoulder at Ryomaru. Souta tweaked Ryo's ear.

Kagome slid up beside InuYasha, her arms snaking around his waist. She kissed his cheek, and he kissed her forehead. "I don't think we're going to get to hold them the rest of the day," he remarked.

Kagome sighed. "They are loved."

"So are you."

She squeezed him then let her arms drop before taking his hand and leading him back toward the front door.

"Where are we going?" he asked as she pulled the door closed behind herself.

"I asked Mama to watch the boys, just for a little while."

He grinned. "So where are you taking me?"

"Wherever you want to go. I just wanted to spend some time with you."

The idea of leaving his pups wasn't a great one, as far as he was concerned. But Kagome looked so hopeful . . . Maybe, if only for a little while. Kneeling down on the ground, he looked back over his shoulder. "Well, what are you waiting for?" She giggled as she climbed onto his back. "Hold on."

She snuggled against him then laughed softly as he pushed off the ground.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Kago me touched the hole in Goshinboku's trunk, the scar left behind from InuYasha's forced suspension. InuYasha rested his hands on her hips, his cheek resting against her temple. "Regrets?"

"What do you mean?"

"You could have left me here. It would have been less trouble."

Her hand dropped away from the tree, and she turned to frown up at him. "Why would you even think that?"

He sank down on the grass. "I was just thinking about where I'd be if you hadn't come along. I'd probably still be pinned here, standing in your back yard." He chuckled then sighed. "You freed me. You stayed with me."

She knelt down beside him. "I belonged with you. I still do."

Leaning his head back against the tree, InuYasha smiled. "We'll see if you're still saying that when the pups are driving you crazy."

Kagome reached out, smoothing InuYasha's bangs off of his face. He caught her hand and kissed her knuckles. She smiled and asked, "Do you ever wish you'd stayed in the past? You were comfortable there."

He shrugged. He hadn't thought about that in a long time. "There, here . . . doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is where you are."

She grinned and scooted closer to him so she could lay her head on his shoulder. "I don't think I ever dreamed things would work out this way."

"Is that bad?"

"No! I just didn't dare to believe that this could happen . . . that I could touch the moon . . . with you."

"You said before that you thought that the hanyou and the miko found each other again, didn't you? So what's so hard to believe?"

She looked away as tears filled her eyes. He lifted her chin and wiped them away as she smiled. "You crossed time for me, InuYasha. You helped me remember myself."

"Yeah," he agreed with a sheepish grin, "that was totally selfish. I wanted you to remember me."

"I just wanted you to be happy."

He stared at her, willed the miko to read the hanyou's mind. It was all there, everything he'd ever meant to say, everything he'd never find the words to express. Slowly, she smiled. `I'm happier than I deserve to be . . . because I'm with you.'

"I'm so glad you came after me." She hugged him tight, kissed his cheek. Content just to be with him, next to him . . . She always had been easy to please.

He knew what she meant. The breeze stirred her hair. Her scent had changed with the birth of the pups. No less Kagome, no less appealing to him, yet it held a certain maturity. `I've grown up, too,' he realized suddenly. Kagome had changed over time. So had he. Many of his changes had been sparked by her. Kagome's one act of ultimate purification had been the rock that caused the landslide. She was a force of nature, and he . . . he loved her for it.

Had he ever thought that he'd have so much? Surrounded by happiness, Kagome had brought him joy, peace, a level of contentment that he'd never known before. The path to the life he now had never was a sure thing. But he'd followed after Kagome, and she, with her gentle laughter, her brilliant smile, her heart that spoke to him, had changed him. The tears she'd shed for him so long ago had given him the courage to reach for her unspoken promises.

He stood up and reached for her hand. They didn't need words. They never really had. "I think I hear your sons," she remarked with a grin as she climbed onto his back.

He smiled in reply, ears twitching to listen for the pups. The only thing he heard was the beat of Kagome's heart so close to his own. She'd given him the most precious gifts in his life.

She had given him purity.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

< i>A/N:

KICHIRO (lucky son) / RYOMARU (Excellence) In case you're wondering, yes, the -maru is added onto Ryo's name as a show of honor for Sesshoumaru.


FINAL VERSION.

Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Purity): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.

~Sue~