InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity ❯ Reprieve ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
~~Chapter 8~~
~Reprieve~

-==========-


The back of the shop was dusty, carrying a musty sort of smell that wasn't entirely unpleasant.  It was kind of an old smell, as though the place had seen a lot of years—a lot of life that had wandered in and out of the doors.  The man led InuYasha down the short hallway to the small office and hurried over to a rickety old bookcase, pushed a few volumes back and forth, obviously looking for one in particular.

"Ah, here it is," he finally said, straightening up slowly and extending it to InuYasha.

InuYasha blinked and glanced at the old book in the man's hands.  It had no writing on the cover, and the binding was so dilapidated that it was starting to come away at the seams.  Still, it was just a book, wasn't it?  He took it and turned it over a few times, scowling at the worn edges, the leather cover that was starting to crack.  "What's this?"

"It's a collection," the man said.  "All the legends of the Shikon no Tama.  All of them; all of them, and all right there."

Why did the allusion that there was more than one tale bother InuYasha so much?  He snorted inwardly without bothering to analyze that question.  "What do you mean, all of 'em?" InuYasha grumbled, ear flicking in irritation though the old man couldn't see it.  "There's only one story—only one way it happened."

If the old man heard the hostility in InuYasha's voice, he gave no indication.  In fact, his grin widened.  "Yes, yes, but you should read them.  Read them all, you see?  You take that book," he said.  "You consider them, then you tell me which one you think is closest to the truth."

InuYasha stared at the old man for a long moment, but slowly nodded.  There was something compelling about the guy, wasn't there?  Something calming about him . . . "What if none of them are right?" he asked as the old guy led the way out of the office once more.

He laughed, apparently delighted that he'd found someone willing to listen to his chatter.  "Do you know what the difference is between a myth and a legend?"

"No," InuYasha admitted in a quiet grumble.

"A myth is just a tale, you see.  A legend?  No matter how minor, there is always a basis in fact."

Snorting decisively, InuYasha stared at the old book thoughtfully.  "You believe in youkai?"

Again, the man laughed.  "Believe; don't believe . . . just because you haven't seen something with your own eyes does not prove that it cannot exist."

"InuYasha-sama, there you are!"

InuYasha's chin snapped up just in time to intercept the panicked expression on Rin's face as she hurried into the shop toward him.  "Everything's okay, right?"

"It's fine," InuYasha mumbled.  "Thanks, jiijii."

Rin looked like she was ready to upbraid him for his perceived lack of manners in calling the shopkeeper 'old man'.  The man reacted before she could, though, as he broke into another bout of laughter.  "I look forward to talking to you again," he assured InuYasha, "after you've read the book."

InuYasha nodded as Rin bowed in apology to the old man, and he sighed inwardly as she fairly dragged him out of the store again.  "We were worried when you disappeared," she remarked, a hint of censure in her tone.

"Keh!  Kagura's youkai, if you forgot.  She coulda found me easy enough," he pointed out.

Rin sighed but shot him a weak smile.  "Papa didn't want you to be arrested again."

That was enough to make InuYasha grimace, though whether it was because of the mention of the incident with the police or because he knew damn well who 'papa' was, he wasn't sure.  Suddenly, he blinked and looked around.  "Where'd Kagura go, anyway?" he asked.

Rin glanced around then smiled, but the smile was pretty thin, fairly transparent.  "She had some things she had to go take care of at the school," she said.  "But we've got to get your picture taken for a few documents; it shouldn't be too big of a deal."

"What's that mean?" he demanded rather grudgingly.

"You've seen pictures, right?  We need to get some of those of you; that's all."

InuYasha snorted.  Okay, he had seen some of those since he'd been on this side of the well.  He'd seen some from time to time before.  There had been a few times when Kagome had brought 'pictures' from her time for Sango and Miroku to see, and those books she always had her nose jammed into had some in them, too.  Even then, InuYasha had never actually posed for a picture, and for some reason, he wasn't entirely sure that he liked the sound of this 'picture taking' business.

Rin must have correctly interpreted the reluctance on his features, though, because her smile broadened and she tugged gently on his sleeve, leading him toward a store with the words 'Quick Photo' over the doorway.  "Hello," she greeted when the girl behind the counter called out to her.  "He needs a series of passport photos, please."

He didn't miss the momentary pause as the girl slowly stood up.  Sparing a minute to look him up and down, she took her time while he blanked his features and waited for her to speak.  She seemed surprised, as though she found his clothing to be odd—not surprising since that's exactly the reasoning he'd been given for the shopping trip, anyway.  "Right over here," she said in an overly friendly tone.  She led the way over to a low stool situated in front of a stark white sheet of fabric.  InuYasha drew back sharply when the girl flipped on a few lamps that were entirely too bright before she gestured at the stool.

Pinning Rin with a narrow glare, he stomped over and plopped down on the stool.  He'd get back at her for this later, he figured, never mind that it wasn't actually her idea to subject him to this kind of thing, in the first place.

He really didn't like the looks of the little black device that the girl stepped behind.  Sparing a moment to click a bunch of buttons on a separate monitor that made the apparatus raise and lower accordingly, she seemed to be adjusting the dubious thing.  The monitor on the machine she was fussing with at the moment looked a lot like the computer he'd seen Toga playing a game on earlier . . .

"Okay," the girl finally said, her overly bright smile back in place again as she stepped away from the monitor but glanced back at it again.  "Umm, could you lift your chin just a little?"

InuYasha snorted and raised his head slightly.

The girl frowned at the monitor.  "A little more, please?"

He couldn't help the little growl that slipped from him.  The girl didn't hear it, but Rin did.  "Come on," she prompted.  "It's just a camera.  It's not like they can suck your soul out with it or anything."

Unfortunately, that statement, whether she was joking or not, brought back the memories of Kanna and her accursed mirror which did have the ability to do exactly that, and he shot to his feet in one fluid motion.  "Fat fucking chance," he gritted out from between clenched teeth.

Rin hurriedly caught his arm before he could stomp out of the studio, and though she didn't laugh outright, he could see the amusement illuminating her gaze, anyway.  "I was kidding; I swear!" she said in an entirely placating sort of way.

"Forget it!" he snarled, cracking his knuckles as he glowered at the harmless looking device.  Harmless looking or not, he knew damn well that things like that could easily be used to trick someone.  "I'm outta here!"

For a moment, she looked like she might argue with him.  Then she sighed.  "Sorry," she called out to the girl who looked entirely perplexed before she followed InuYasha out of the shop.  "We'll do it later," she told him as she fell into step beside him.  She had to move pretty quickly to do it, though.

"Like never," he shot back stubbornly.

Rin didn't answer that, likely figuring that it was a lost cause.  "It really isn't a big deal," she pointed out in a carefully neutral tone just before she heaved a longsuffering sigh.  "We really do need to work on your people skills, though . . ."

"My 'people skills' are just fine," he growled without breaking his stride.  Somewhere in the distance, a child shrieked, and he winced.  "Can we get the hell out of here now?"

"Yeah, okay," she allowed with a sigh.  "We could catch a bus or—"

"Or walk," he cut in abruptly.  He wasn't sure what the bus was, exactly, but he had a feeling that it was akin to the car that he'd been subjected to a few times already, and he couldn't say that he liked the experience all that much.  In fact, there was a good chance that Sesshoumaru was plenty pissed off since he'd left claw marks in the armrest each and every time he'd been forced into one of those damned contraptions.  It was unnatural, wasn't it?  Something that big, that cumbersome, really shouldn't be able to move like it did . . .

Rin didn't look like she was too pleased with the idea of walking, but she didn't argue with him, either, which, in his estimation, was good enough.  Besides, he'd done so much sitting around since he'd come through that well that he was itching to do something, anyway.

"Well, I guess we could cut through the park.  That would take a lot less time," she ventured, more to herself than to InuYasha.

Letting out a deep breath since he figured he'd won that round, he drew up short when a very familiar scent assailed him, chin lifting, ears twitching as he tried to pinpoint her location . . . "Kagome . . ."

It took him a few minutes to locate her.  Standing near a shelf inside a nearby store, there she was, idly lifting different things off that shelf, turning them over in her hands in a preoccupied sort of way, but her aura . . .

She seemed entirely confused?  Upset . . .? Uncomfortable . . .? Maybe all those things, but . . .

Without a second thought, maybe it was entirely instinctual, he started forward, started toward her, only to stop abruptly when Rin grasped his arm to stop him.  "InuYasha-sama?  What are you . . .?" Rin trailed off, glancing at him long enough to ascertain what had caught his attention this time before scanning the area for herself.  "It won't be long, huh?"

"What?"

She giggled softly.  "That's why you're doing all this stuff, right?  Because you want to be with her."

Swallowing hard, gritting his teeth as he fought against the overwhelming desire to go to her, he didn't take his eyes off her, either.

"She's worth it, though, right?  Getting used to this time and everything?  It's worth it for her?"

InuYasha shot Rin a startled glance.  Somehow it surprised him that she'd say that, but it was true, wasn't it?  All the things that he'd dealt with thus far . . . it was for Kagome, and Kagome was definitely worth it.

Rin smiled and shook her head slightly.  "Come on," she said, grasping his arm and tugging to get him moving once more.

He was more than a little reluctant to follow her, but he did, turning his head, craning his neck to keep Kagome in view for as long as he could.  The conflicted emotions in her aura still lingered, and he grimaced as Rin started tugging him around the corner toward the exit.  He'd get back to her, wouldn't he?  And when he did, nothing in the world would ever separate them again if he could help it . . . Still, it felt like such a huge obstacle.  As much as he hated to admit it, there was still a hell of a lot of things that he needed to learn, and Kagome . . . She still needed to remember him . . .

'Kagome . . .'


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


"You look like you're a million miles away, Kagome-chan," Yuka remarked as the two of them stepped off the bus and onto the sidewalk in front of one of the largest shopping centers in Tokyo.  "Are you okay?"

Shaking her head, Kagome forced a smile and shrugged.  "I'm fine," she assured her friend.  "Just worried about the exams . . ."

Yuka laughed and led the way into the shopping center.  "You always worry about tests too much," she pointed out, "but you always do well."

Kagome wasn't inclined to agree, especially when she'd just gotten a big, fat zero on the last one, and she sighed.  "So what are we shopping for?  A new dress?" she asked, hoping that it was enough to change the topic since discussing her test results was not something that she wanted to do.

Yuka shrugged and bit her lip, her cheeks flushing prettily.  "No, I just wanted to get some new lip gloss and stuff . . . Besides, I really wanted to talk to you."

"You sound serious," Kagome remarked, unsure why Yuka's tone brought about such a sense of reluctance in her.  Stepping onto the escalator that lead to the second floor and Yuka's favorite cosmetics store, Kagome wasn't entirely sure that she wanted to know what was bugging her friend.

Yuka smiled and bobbed her shoulders in a pathetic attempt to gain a measure of nonchalance.  "I just wondered," she began slowly, carefully, measuring her words, "you and Houjou-kun . . . is there something wrong?"

"H-Houjou-kun?" Kagome echoed dumbly.  "Of course there's nothing wrong . . ."

Yuka didn't look like she believed Kagome, at least, not completely.  "Are you sure?  I mean, you haven't met him for lunch in a few days, and you haven't walked to school with him, either . . ."

"Everything's fine," she insisted with a nervous laugh.  "I've just wanted to, uh, study in the library before classes."

Yuka sighed and smiled dreamily as they stepped into the small shop.  "You two are so perfect together," she said, missing the strained tone of Kagome's voice entirely.  "Do you think you'll marry him after we graduate?"

Kagome very nearly tripped over her feet that had seemingly grown about four sizes larger in the span of a moment.  "M-Marry?" she echoed roughly, catching herself on a sturdy shelf before she fell flat on her face.

"Sure!  I mean, I know Houjou-kun wants to go to the university, and I'm sure you do, too, but you could still go and get married, too."

"We . . . We haven't discussed anything like that," Kagome blurted, feeling her cheeks burning at the very idea of marrying Houjou.  Maybe she should've listened to the voice in her head that told her that she should go straight home and study, after all . . .

"You're so pretty, and he's really handsome . . . You two would have the cutest babies, ever," Yuka went on, still oblivious to Kagome's very real distress.

In fact, she felt like she might start hyperventilating.  If she didn't get Yuka off the current subject soon, she might just panic and end up doing something really stupid—like crying.

"Oh, what do you think of this color?" Yuka asked suddenly, spinning around to stick a tube of shimmering peach lip gloss under Kagome's nose.

Kagome blinked, opening and closing her mouth a few times, unable to wrap her head around the sudden and welcome change in topic.  "Nice," she murmured, breathing an inward sigh of relief.  Then she frowned.  She was being a coward, and she knew it.  Since her birthday last week, she'd felt it, hadn't she?  She didn't want to be with Houjou, not at all, but for some reason, she couldn't help but feel a little afraid of actually telling him any such thing.  Well, not afraid, exactly . . . She supposed that she was more upset by the prospect of hurting him than she was otherwise.  Thing was, it wasn't really fair to him, was it?  To keep him hanging on while she knew deep down that he just wasn't the right one for her . . .?

Biting her lip, Kagome grimaced at the sudden and vicious feeling of being alone.  Entirely silly, given that she was standing right next to one of her best friends, and yet . . . Yet the feeling wouldn't let go, either.  As though she knew somewhere deep down that her friends couldn't really help her make her choice, she rubbed her forehead, tugged on the straps of the backpack slung over her shoulder . . .

'Kagome . . .'

Stifling a gasp, Kagome's chin snapped up.  She hadn't heard a voice, no.  It was more of a whisper in her mind—a sound she recognized; one that lent her a sense of strength, even if she didn't really understand why.  The barest hint of a smile surfaced, and she rubbed her arms, nodding at the makeup that Yuka was busy showing her.

'His . . . His voice . . .' she thought idly, and while she might not know who 'he' was, somehow Kagome knew that she really wasn't completely alone.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


"Rin said you guys saw Kagome-chan at the store."

Perched on the windowsill, staring balefully out at the falling evening, InuYasha grunted but didn't bother to turn around or even acknowledge his visitor otherwise.

"It's weird to see you in those clothes," Shippou remarked, apparently not taking the hint that InuYasha really wasn't in the mood to chat, all things considered.  He heard the kitsune step closer though he didn't look to verify it.  He was just too agitated to make small talk, anyway.  "You look pretty normal."

"What?  You figured I'd look like some kind of freak or something?" InuYasha growled.  "Go the fuck away, Shippou."

Shippou sighed and wandered over to stand beside the window, digging his hands into his pockets as he gazed over InuYasha's head that the serenity of the evening skies.  "I always thought that it'd be great when we finally caught up to you," he said quietly, thoughtfully.  "It was really lonely after you followed Kagome-chan.  Lonely and quiet . . ."

"Yeah, well, you're getting your pay-back now, right?"

"That's not really what this is, you know," Shippou pointed out patiently.  "I'm as surprised at all of this as you are.  We want you to find your place here; that's all.  We're just trying to help."

That finally got InuYasha's attention.  Slowly turning his head to glower at the kitsune, he made no bones about hiding the incredulous expression on his face.  "Is that what you call this shit?  You're all helping me?  Never mind that Sesshoumaru has never, ever tried to help anyone in his life, and he ain't about to start now.  You guys just piss me the fuck off!  Keh!"

Shippou broke into a wide grin at that, and he made no apologies, either, which figured.  "Never thought I'd see the day when you two were actually living under the same roof, I'll confess," he remarked as his smile widened.  "If Miroku and Sango saw this, I think they'd both die of shock."

Erupting in a menacing growl, InuYasha didn't trust himself to speak as he cracked his knuckles.

"Anyway, before you go and do something we'll both regret," Shippou hurried on to say, "Sesshoumaru wants me to give you some tests to see what all we'll need to tutor you on so you can get a job."

"And why the fuck do I need a job?" InuYasha bit out.

"Because if you don't have a job, you'll have to rely on Sesshoumaru for money, and while he has more than enough of that for it to never be a real problem, I just don't think you'd appreciate being beholden to him any more than you already are."

Grinding his teeth together, InuYasha didn't answer, mostly because as much as he hated to admit it, Shippou was right.  Sure, he could have stayed in the forest behind the shrine where Kagome lived, but that really wouldn't have solved any of his immediate problems, and he might well be stubborn, but he wasn't entirely stupid, either.  It would have been different if Kagome remembered him, but . . .

But she didn't, and since she didn't, he couldn't do anything in a more direct and straightforward way, could he?  As much as he'd love to tell them all to go straight to hell, a part of him was just uncertain enough to allow that they might well be right, that jogging Kagome's memory in a more direct way could hurt her, and as much as he might wish it were otherwise, he simply couldn't—couldn't—take that kind of a chance, not with her.

That didn't mean that he liked the current arrangement or that he was even remotely okay with it, either.  He wasn't; not by a long shot.

"It was different for us," Shippou went on, the light tone of voice that he normally used quietly falling away, only to be replaced by a more thoughtful tone, a more introspective sort of lilt.  "Since we lived through it all, we had more time to adjust to the changes, and a lot of them . . . Well, it wasn't like we woke up one morning in another time and place or anything.  Most things are a lot easier now than they used to be, but there are a few things that just aren't . . ." Trailing off with a slow shake of his head, the smile that had faded returned as he chuckled softly.  "I'm not too worried, though," he went on.  "You're always up for a challenge, right?"

InuYasha wasn't sure what to make of the impromptu pep talk.  Scowling as the unsettling scents of the city assailed him when the breeze shifted, he wrinkled his nose.  Shippou seemed to understand that InuYasha wasn't really in the mood to talk, though, and to his relief, the kitsune turned and shuffled out of the room once more.

Seeing Kagome in the store had been a shock to his system, no doubt about it.  He hadn't gotten a good look at her since the night he'd gone to the shrine to check on her.  Too afraid that she'd see him, that she'd recognize him, he'd forced himself to stay atop the roof of the shrine, told himself that just being near her was enough, and to an extent, it was.  It was better than nothing, in any case, and for the time being, it was really all he could hope for.

But seeing her in the store?

He'd almost been at the end of his very last nerve when he'd sensed her near.  Turning his head, eyes widening in disbelief, he'd instinctively altered his course to intercept her.  Too bad Rin had stopped him.  He'd understood what she was telling him, sure.  That didn't make it any easier.  He might not have known what Kagome was talking about with her friend, but it hadn't mattered in the end.  She was too vulnerable, had too much sadness in her aura, and he . . . he'd just wanted to make her smile again, even if she never knew . . .

Tugging on the neckline of the tee-shirt that he'd yanked on earlier, InuYasha frowned into the night.

Okay, he could put up with all these things if he had to, if they would ultimately bring him closer to Kagome.  Even if he had to make nice with his half-brother for the duration, he could do that, too, couldn't he?  As long as Kagome was there—as long as being with her was possible . . .

"Kagome . . ." he murmured, his ears drooping slightly.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, her voice, her laughter called to him.  "InuYasha," those memories whispered to him.

It was enough to make him smile.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A/ N:
-==========-

Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Purity): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.

~Sue~