InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Grey ❯ A Momentary Weakness ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
eyes glared in resentment at the scene before him. Never in his life had he yielded and he would not now. This illogical line of thinking would end, and he would extract his revenge! Waves of pain coursed down his side but agony failed to register upon the stoic youkai's face. Traitorous eyes returned to the unavoidable display. The pain was bearable now. She'd witnessed the moment he'd given into its hold. An infinitesimal cringe had flickered over his face, but was only discernable by someone who’d been watching for it. Someone who’d memorized his every feature. Anticipated his every breath. Someone like the foolish creature that was still attempting to peer at him through the inadequate concealment of the bushes. The insignificant humans with their terrified faces and irritating screams. Worthless. Surrendering to barely suppressed rage, his vision flooded crimson, and he released a growl that would have sent a taijiya running. His eyes narrowed in amusement when the inevitable scream did not materialize. The shy hazel eyes peeking out at him intrigued him, and her gentle smile unnerved him slightly. Didn’t she realize that he could kill her? Pain blurred his vision. Didn't she realize. . . Ignoring the irritating pulse at his side, he concentrated on the stench that was overpowering his sensitive senses. The potent aroma of fresh blood coupled with the nauseating scent of slobbering wolves was too much to take. The smell woke him. His eyes darting to the darkening sky. Dusk? He'd fallen asleep? Impossible! And what the hell was that god-awful smell?! Abused nostrils located the pile of cooked fish next to his blood soaked sleeve. What the hell was he supposed to do with that? She was here. Those eyes again. Her little kimono slightly bloody this time. He could already see the bruises appearing on her delicate skin. Attacked, yet her eyes were miraculously the same. No anger clouded the innocence that lurked there. She’d brought him grain! Did he resemble a pet?! He intended to dismiss her but his mouth rebelled. Don't speak! Why encourage it? Her silence astounded him. A quiet human. A novel concept. With one last glance at her impossibly pure gaze he felt his own eyes close. The eyes haunted him. Those eyes filled with. . . An emotion he could not fathom. Something he didn't understand. Eyes now dark as the depths of hell, peering up from the girl's horrified face. Stained little kimono ripped from her small frame. So fragile. Why hadn’t she fled for safety? Why run to him? Had she thought he would protect her? Not likely. He gazed into her wide eyed stare and shook his head. Self preservation hadn't been her motive. The little fool had thought to protect him. This little human with eyes like a double-edged sword had witnessed his first moment of weakness. Growling low in resignation, Sesshoumaru unsheathed a pulsing Tenseiga from its scabbard. He vowed that Kami was about to witness his last.