InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Waiting ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha still isn't mine (sighs heavily)
 
 
Chapter 12: Waiting (some lime in this chapter)
 
 
As the door clicked shut behind them, Kagome wrapped herself around InuYasha and kissed him, “Thank you, InuYasha. Thank you for going through the ceremony for me here.”
 
“Keh. I knew it was important to you and your mother,” was his reply. InuYasha continued, “Besides, it wasn't so bad - I got to wear clothes I was comfortable in and drink sake.”
 
Kagome giggled - most modern grooms would not have been comfortable in the formal wedding kimono.
 
She reached up and kissed him again, “You were very handsome. I think the other ladies were quite envious of me.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha just grinned.
 
“I love you, InuYasha.”
 
Overwhelmed with the emotions he had been feeling, InuYasha responded softly, “I love you, too, Kagome.”
 
Somehow it wasn't as hard to say when he was human since the cat had already been let out of the bag.
 
Not able to stand it any longer, he reached down and pulled her into a kiss. His passion flowed through him as she responded and they lost themselves in each other. In a matter of minutes, their clothes were in a pile on the floor.
 
InuYasha looked at the girl before him, his mate and now his wife, “I can't believe you're mine. I never thought I would have a mate, much less someone as beautiful as you.”
 
Kagome answered by pulling his mouth to hers. Locked in each other's arms, embraced in a kiss that was immeasurable, they fell on the bed. They spent the night exploring each other all over again until they finally drifted off to sleep.
 
InuYasha woke the next morning as he felt power surge through him as he returned to his hanyou form. Kagome awoke with him as she felt the energy sweep through her body as well.
 
Knowing they probably wouldn't have much quality time together once they returned to the feudal era, Kagome reached up and stroked the mark on her neck. InuYasha responded by rubbing his mark with his thumb before he flipped over on her stomach and took her from behind. They were both panting when they fell back onto the bed after screaming each other's names as they climaxed together.
 
With the realization that the others were waiting for their return that morning, they finally pulled themselves out of bed and into the shower before they dressed. They still took their time - the shower had just stimulated them further as the warm water cascaded over their marks. Not to mention they had all that extra energy again since the moonless night was over.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
InuYasha was dressed in his firerat again and Kagome had pulled on jeans and a t-shirt. She had packed mostly jeans and sweats to take back with her to wear along with a couple of pairs of shorts in case it was warm. Not knowing when or if she would get to come back, she took a little of everything to be prepared. In addition to her usual backpack, she had put extra clothes and supplies (especially Ramen) in a duffle bag to take with them.
 
When they finally had everything together, they said their goodbyes. This time it was somewhat tearful because of the uncertainty of the future. Mama hugged them both, as did Souta. Grandpa hugged Kagome and then shook InuYasha's hand and told him to take care of his only granddaughter. Mama and Kagome were both in tears as Kagome and InuYasha picked up the bags and jumped into the well.
 
They had barely made it out of the well when Sesshomaru came into view. They waited where they were for him, waiting to see what news he had to bring.
 
Things had remained quiet in their absence. Koga had returned to his den to round up any others of his pack who wanted revenge against Naraku. He planned to be back at least three days before the full moon. Once Sesshomaru had relayed everything that he felt InuYasha needed to know, he announced that he was going home to check on the others, and inform Kanti of what was happening. He wanted Kanti to be prepared in case any youkai got any ideas of attacking his castle while Sesshomaru was away battling Naraku. Kagome asked Sesshomaru to take a package of pocky to Shippou, with orders he was to share it with Rin. She wanted Shippou to know that Kagome had not forgotten him. Sesshomaru agreed.
 
Jaken must have been following his lord. He was not happy near this village of lowly humans.
 
“Jaken.”
 
He stepped out of his hiding place behind a tree, “Yes, My Lord!”
 
“Stay here with Ah-Uhn. I will be back in one week. Do not give the humans or my brother any trouble.”
 
“Yes, My Lord,” Jaken hung his head and sighed as Sesshomaru turned into a ball of light and disappeared to the west.
 
Kagome and InuYasha picked up their bags and started their trek down the familiar path to the village.
 
They arrived at Kaede's hut finding Miroku with the familiar red handprint embedded on his face. Apparently Sango wasn't going to allow him to grope her just because she had agreed to marry him.
 
Sango stood up and hugged Kagome after she had dropped the bags she was carrying.
 
“Kagome! How was it? How was the wedding?” Sango asked.
 
“It was beautiful. We had a simple ceremony under the Sacred Tree.” She grinned as she looked at InuYasha, “InuYasha was very handsome in the formal wedding kimono. I think all my friends from school were jealous, and they don't even know about these great ears.”
 
She reached up and stroked InuYasha's ear. He just closed his eyes and leaned into her hand until he remembered the monk was sitting there, too. InuYasha snapped to and changed the subject, “Where's the old hag?”
 
For once, Miroku just grinned and answered the question, “Kaede's out checking on her herb garden. She wants to make sure she has plenty of the herbs that will probably be needed after the battle.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“InuYasha?” It was Kagome that spoke this time.
 
“Keh?”
 
“I'm going to go find Kaede. I want to talk to her about some things,” Kagome replied.
 
“Keh - I'll go with you.”
 
“I want to talk to her alone,” Kagome responded.
 
“Alone?” InuYasha almost sounded hurt.
 
“Yes, but you can walk with me, I would just like to speak to her alone. OK?”
 
“Keh.”
 
They found Kaede in the herb garden as Miroku had said. InuYasha left Kagome with the promise she would call him when she was ready to go back.
 
“Kaede?” Kagome walked toward the elder miko.
 
“Yes?” Kaede replied.
 
“Can I talk to you for a few minutes?”
 
“Certainly, my child. What ails you?”
 
“I know that you and Miroku are able to put up a barrier. Is that something I could learn to do in the next two weeks? I need to learn to focus my power. I have so much extra energy now that I need somewhere for it to go,” Kagome responded.
 
“It is true, your aura has doubled in power. Learning to channel it would be beneficial to you,” Kaede said thoughtfully.
 
“Will you help me? I at least want to try,” Kagome was practically pleading.
 
“It won't be easy, but I'll help you. Miroku may be of some help as well, if he can keep his hand to himself,” Kaede actually laughed when she said that.
 
“Can we start right away?” Kagome asked.
 
“All right, but at least lets have lunch first - you'll need your strength,” Kaede said as she started walking back to her hut.
 
Kagome rubbed her mark to call InuYasha. He was panting when he ran up, “You could have just yelled, you know!” He had a smirk on his face.
 
As they followed Kaede, Kagome told InuYasha of her plans. For once, he actually agreed with her. Anything to make them stronger against Naraku was a good idea, plus he couldn't wait until Kikyou saw what the real result of their mating was.
 
Kagome went to work with Kaede and Miroku that afternoon. She had so much power and energy that once she started to learn how to focus, she started to gain control almost immediately. They were both amazed at the progress she was making. However, it wasn't just to learn to use her powers, Kagome wanted to end the battle with Naraku once and for all. He had committed so many foul sins against them all that he didn't deserve to live another day.
 
Everything was peaceful in the village for the following few days. A number of lesser youkai had made the mistake of arriving at the area too soon, and were all quickly dispatched by InuYasha or one of the others. They actually came in handy for training. Kagome was gaining enough control now that she could reach out and purify the demons that came too close. She didn't even have to actually touch them to turn them to a pile of dust. She had been practicing her archery and her aim was becoming deadly. Kagome also had been successful in erecting a barrier around her and the others several times, and was becoming more consistent.
 
InuYasha was proud, and yet a little disappointed. With other methods of focusing her extra energy, she didn't seem to need him as much to help burn it off. Still, she would go with him to sweep the forest every evening for intruders, and didn't disappoint him when he stroked her mark. The only thing was that she couldn't focus well enough to create a barrier to conceal them when he was making love to her, so he usually carried her up into the Sacred Tree to one of his favorite branches. They would scream each other's names to the night sky before they collapsed in each other's arms, only to have to eventually come down and return to the others.
 
As the number of youkai in the area increased, the number of humans decreased. Everyone in the village had been warned of the coming battle. Even though they were going to try to keep the fighting away from the village, there were no guarantees. Most of the villagers packed up some of their belongings and enough food for a few weeks, and headed east to the next village. They had been told a messenger would be sent to them when it was safe to return.
 
InuYasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, and Kirara had started regular patrols through the forest during the day. Every few hours they would rotate between InuYasha and Kagome, then and Miroku, Sango, and Kirara. They usually started and ended down by the river so they could also check on Jaken and Ah-Uhn while there. So far Jaken had followed Sesshomaru's orders and had not caused any trouble. He had stayed clear of all the others and remained near the river with Ah-Uhn. They made sure that Ah-Uhn looked healthy and well fed. He seemed to be thriving on the rich grass near the river and basking in the sun during the day.
 
InuYasha and Kagome were meeting the other three to exchange notes between patrols when InuYasha and Kagome both stiffened. They could feel a youkai with great power heading toward them, and it wasn't Sesshomaru. Kirara transformed as Miroku and Sango turned to approach the demon coming out of the trees and into the clearing. Without warning, it charged InuYasha.
 
“What the fuck!” InuYasha exclaimed.
 
“I've come to avenge my pack!” The youkai screamed.
 
“What the fuck did I do?” yelled InuYasha as he dodged the attacks. He knew something wasn't right - he could smell blood, and it was Inu-youkai blood.
 
Kagome was getting ready to purify the demon when it was close enough, but InuYasha yelled, “Don't - something's not right!”
 
“WHAT DID I DO?” InuYasha demanded, still side stepping his assailant.
 
“YOU CAME TO OUR HOME AND MURDERED MY PACK! YOU SAID TO REMEMBER YOUR NAME, INUYASHA!”
 
“Naraku!” The others all exclaimed together. They were pretty sure exactly what happened.
 
“You took a worthless human as your mate, and now you are trying to kill the few remaining Inu-youkai!”
 
Kagome had had enough. It was time to put a stop to this, “InuYasha, I won't kill her, but I am going to stop her before she hurts herself any further or any of us.”
 
Kagome stepped forward with her arm out, palm forward so that her hand was perpendicular to the ground and simply said, “Stop.”
 
InuYasha's foe fell to the ground, unconscious.
 
When she wasn't screaming and attacking, she was beautiful. Instead of mane of silver like InuYasha and Sesshomaru, hers was steel blue, trailing almost to her knees. She wore a beautiful silk kimono that was a deep blue with purple woven throughout it. She had a silver-blue star on her forehead where Sesshomaru had the crescent moon on his.
 
InuYasha spoke, “She's injured. I can smell her blood. This has to have been another of Naraku's traps. It's too much like what happened with Sango and Koga. We need to get her cleaned up and find out what happened.”
 
“Jaken!” InuYasha called the toad.
 
“What!” Well, at least Jaken didn't call him half-breed or worthless.
 
“What do you know about healing a full youkai?” Kagome addressed him this time.
 
InuYasha added, “I know you were nearby, you had to have witnessed this.”
 
Jaken stepped forward. If her injuries are not serious, then she will heal. You do not have any of the proper herbs here to help a full…” Jaken paused and stepped forward, “Inu-youkai?”
 
Jaken looked stunned, “Where did she come from?”
 
InuYasha responded, “That's what we are going to find out. Let's take her back.”
 
“Ah-Uhn.” The yelling had wakened Ah-Uhn from his nap and he had watched the entire incident with interest. He stood up and plodded over to InuYasha.
 
“I would carry her, but if she wakes up in my arms she might panic. We'll set her on Ah-Uhn - he's difficult to fall off of. Sango, you ride behind her and steady her. She might panic if she smells Kagome too close as well, and I'm not letting the monk near her.”
 
InuYasha picked up the unconscious girl and set her on Ah-Uhn's broad back, and then set Sango up behind her. Ah-Uhn didn't even need his bridle. He followed the group willingly back to the village to Kaede's hut.
 
InuYasha and Miroku went outside while Kagome and Sango checked over and located the girl's wounds. They had been serious, but were healing. She had suffered a great deal of blood loss - Sango could emphasize with her. They cleaned and bandaged her wounds, and made sure there were no sharp objects within her reach. When the all clear was given, InuYasha and Miroku came back in, accompanied by Sesshomaru.
 
“Sesshomaru! You're back! How were things at home?” Kagome questioned.
 
Sesshomaru didn't answer - he was busy starring at the Inu-youkai female on the mat, “Where did she come from?”
 
InuYasha answered him, “We don't know. She came out of the forest screaming that I had wiped out her pack and she was here to avenge them. She was hurt and I didn't want to fight with her, so Kagome stopped her.”
 
Sesshomaru actually looked surprised for a second before he turned to Kagome, “What does he mean?”
 
Kagome grinned, “I've been practicing.”
 
Miroku jumped in, “You really don't want a demonstration in here.”
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
As they kept watch over the unconscious Inu, Sesshomaru informed them of the things he'd found out. Several other higher-ranking demons sent word to Sesshomaru that Naraku had sent them invitations to the battle. Naraku would probably not be pleased when he discovered that they were coming, but not to help him. At one time or another most of them had been helped by the InuTaisho. Plus they had seen some of Naraku's deviousness and devastation for themselves, and wanted no part of him. Or more literally, did not want to become part of him.
 
“Sesshomaru, how is Shippou doing? Has he worked any with Kanti?” Kagome asked what she had intended to ask earlier.
 
“What was in the box you sent, and how much were they supposed to eat?” was the Demon Lord's reply.
 
“Pocky - it's a treat. Shippou knows he's not supposed to have more than a couple at a time,” Kagome responded.
 
“He and Rin ate the entire box in one sitting. They ran the castle all night long. Shippou managed to set some of the tapestries on fire trying to impress Rin with his foxfire. The staff was not pleased.” That was an understatement - it was a good thing they were small children.
 
“Oh,” Was Kagome's reply - she couldn't imagine Shippou and Rin with that much sugar in them. She wasn't sure she wanted to.
 
“What about Kanti - has he been able to work with him any?” Kagome asked.
 
“He has. Kanti is working with him to better control his foxfire, especially after the incident the other evening. Shippou is also gaining more control over his illusions, he even was able to transform without the tail,” was Sesshomaru's response.
 
Kagome giggled at that. No matter how good Shippou's illusions were, he almost always still had his bushy tail.
 
Their “guest” finally awoke the next morning. Panicked at first, she was restrained by Sesshomaru. Her eyes opened wide as she saw InuYasha and Kagome enter the room. She started struggling again, but Sesshomaru held her in place.
 
“You…you…you're Lord Sesshomaru of the Western Lands,” she stammered, panic in her voice.
 
“Why have you attacked my brother!” He demanded.
 
“Your brother!? He came to our home in the mountains and killed all of my pack but me! He swore to kill all remaining Inu-Youkai!” She screamed at him.
 
InuYasha stepped forward, “How did I slay them?”
 
The female demon wailed, “You took your sword and slaughtered them! You left me alive and told me to remember your name!”
 
InuYasha stepped back as he drew Tetsusaiga, transforming it as he held it out, “It this what destroyed your pack?”
 
Her eyes grew wide again, “No…That's…that's…” her voice trailed off.
 
This is the fang of my father. This is my sword,” InuYasha declared.
 
“That's a fang of the great InuTaisho,” she said.
 
That is the fang of our father,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“I…I…I don't understand,” She said softly as she stopped struggling.
 
Kagome stepped forward and asked, “What is your name?”
 
“Sajjanneba,” she responded, and then continued, “Are you the human that InuYasha took as his mate?”
 
“Yes, I am. My name is Kagome,” She replied, and gestured towards the others, “This is Sango, Miroku, the firecat over there is Kirara, and of course you've met InuYasha and seem to know of Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“But, I don't understand. You're a miko,” Sajjanneba sounded puzzled.
 
“And not a helpless one. InuYasha, please come here,” Kagome requested as she looked at the now calmer Inu-Youkai.
 
“Sajjanneba, does he smell like your attacker?” Kagome asked.
 
“N...N…No. He reeked with a poisonous miasma that surrounded him. What's going on?” Sajjanneba questioned.
 
By now Sesshomaru had turned her loose and they helped her to sit up. They explained as much as they could to her about Naraku, how he was a shape-shifter, and how he loved to tear people's hearts and lives apart. Sango joined in and explained how he had done practically the same thing to get her to attack InuYasha, and then to the wolf prince Koga.
 
“You mean he killed the last remaining members of our pack just to get me to come after you?” she questioned InuYasha.
 
“Keh. It wasn't the first time, we're hoping to make it his last,” InuYasha declared.
 
Kagome continued for him, “We've been told he is coming to attack the night of the full moon. We hope to destroy him once and for all.”
 
“I will help you. For what he is done, I will stay,” Sajjanneba then continued, “Thank you for not killing me, and for helping me. I can smell the scent of the miko and demon slayer on me. You must have treated my wounds. But I still don't understand - a miko, a monk and demon slayer working with demons and a hanyou?”
 
“We were all brought together by Naraku. In one way or another, he has caused harm to us all,” Miroku answered.
 
“Please explain something else. The miko - shouldn't she have lost her powers when she mated with the hanyou? Instead, you have more power than any miko I've ever come across. And the hanyou's aura rivals that of any full demon I've ever felt. It doesn't make sense,” Sajjanneba was starting to get a headache from all this.
 
At some point Kaede had silently entered her hut, and startled nearly everyone when she spoke, “A miko's powers don't necessarily come from being pure in body. In Kagome's case, her power comes from the purity of her heart. Her love for InuYasha the others only added to it, but her mating with InuYasha has increased it beyond what anyone ever expected or can understand. Kagome and InuYasha's auras, their souls, have also bonded with each other. The stronger their love, the more powerful they will be.”
 
Everyone was silent when Kaede finished speaking - it was a lot to consider even though they had seen the results for themselves.
 
InuYasha tapped Kagome on the shoulder, “It's our turn to patrol.” He took Kagome's hand and led her out.
 
Miroku shouted after them, “Don't forget to stop and bond in the forest! You don't want to lose any power!”
 
Sango knocked him out cold with her Hiraikotsu. InuYasha just grinned as he led Kagome away.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Three days later Koga turned back up with the remaining members of his pack. Ginta and Hakkaku as well as some of the other wolves and wolf demons of his pack were with him, panting and out of breath from trying to keep up with Koga.
 
Sesshomaru and Sajjanneba had joined the patrolling duties. The numbers of strange youkai in the area was rapidly increasing with the full moon approaching in just a few nights. It helped to have Sesshomaru there. He could discern between those who came to help and those who were there for Naraku. So far, only lower demons itching for more power had come on Naraku's behalf, and most of them had already been dispatched with. A few of the brighter ones had turned tail and run when they felt the power that was waiting for them.
 
Two days before the night of the full moon Kikyou reappeared. It pissed InuYasha off to no end because she and those soul-catchers of hers liked to hang around the Sacred Tree, where he liked to take Kagome. InuYasha and Kagome resolved the situation by deciding that since they were going to defeat Naraku and save the village, one of the villagers probably wouldn't mind if they borrowed their temporarily abandoned hut. They didn't make any attempt to keep the noise down. Kikyou was fuming. On top of that, since Kagome and InuYasha were making a point of staying away from her, she was still assuming that the powerful aura she felt was that of Sesshomaru, which now had Sajjanneba's added to it.
 
Koga had newfound respect for InuYasha - he figured Kagome would have killed him by now. How did the mutt face do it?
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
The day before the day of the full moon, Kagome approached Sesshomaru. He and Sajjanneba were coming back from their patrol of the area.
 
“Sesshomaru, may I speak with you alone?” Kagome inquired.
 
Sajjanneba nodded in acknowledgment and continued on back to the hut.
 
“Sesshomaru, may I ask a favor of you?”
 
Sesshomaru looked at her questionably, “What is it.”
 
“We don't know what the effects of the battle will be, not just whether we will win or lose, but what might happen with the sacred jewel. It is possible that the jewel might be purified and as a result the well could be sealed.”
 
Sesshomaru understood the implications and nodded.
 
“May I see your journal? I don't wish to read it, just write something down for you,” Kagome's eyes were pleading. She knew he wrote in it when he thought no one was watching.
 
Sesshomaru handed it to her. Kagome pulled a pen she'd brought just in case out of her pocket and turned to the last page and begin to write. When she finished, she handed it back.
 
“I know you will probably live a very long time. These are the names of my family members, along with the name and address of the shrine, and the date of the battle tomorrow compared to my time. If anything happens to me in the battle, or if the well becomes sealed and I can't return home, will you please find my family and tell them what happened to me? I can't bear the thought of them not knowing, even if we survive and InuYasha and I live a long and happy life together. I want them to know how we lived, how we died.”
 
Sesshomaru just nodded as he put the journal back in its hiding place.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
All was very quite the evening before the battle. Everyone knew the following night was going to be exhausting and tried to get as much rest a possible. Sesshomaru along with a handful of the other powerful demons that had come to aid them volunteered to continue the patrols through the night and the next day. Apparently those that had come had some amount of respect for InuYasha and his friends, even though he was a hanyou and they were human. News of their escapades had reached many ears - the group obviously was not weak. They also could feel the power that radiated from both InuYasha and Kagome. They had heard of many of their feats as well, and that was before they had become mates. They had witnessed Kagome reduce the lower demons that attacked her to dust without laying a hand on them. They wouldn't want to get in her way.
 
Before they turned in for the evening, Koga approached Kagome.
 
“Kagome - I need to give something to you,” he said as he walked up to her.
 
Koga dropped to the ground and removed the sacred jewel shards from his legs. “I need to make sure my legs have healed before tomorrow and I have had time to adjust,” he said as he handed them to her.
 
“Thank you, Koga,” Kagome replied as she pulled out the bottle that contained her other shards.
 
Kagome removed the bottle from around her neck and emptied it into her hand that held the two shards Koga had relinquished. She then closed her eyes as she clenched her hands together. A light flashed from between her fingers, and when she opened her hands, the shards had fused into one piece. She dropped the shard back into its bottle, and then replaced it around her neck.
 
Kagome kissed Koga on the cheek, told him thank you again, and went to retire for the night with InuYasha.