InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Expected and Especially Unexpected ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.
 
 
Chapter 2 - Expected and Especially Unexpected
 
 
After a quick rest just to catch her breath, a very quick shower, well, quick for Kagome anyway, and a few minutes spent gathering all her supplies into her monstrous yellow backpack, she was ready to go. She would still be arriving hours early despite the repeated delays, hoping to surprise Inuyasha and prove to him that she wasn't always late. While running down the stairs and out the door she called out a quick good-bye to her family, not bothering to wait for a reply.
 
She had almost made it to the well house when she heard her Grandfather call out her name. For a moment, she contemplated pretending not to hear but just couldn't do it. She heaved a sigh and turned around. “Kagome dear, there you are. I was wondering if you could help an old man for just a few minutes. I need some boxes of trinkets brought up to the gift shop from the shed.”
 
“Sure gramps.” Kagome dropped her bag outside the well house and followed after her grandfather, shoulders slumped in defeat. If this continued she would end up being late anyway! When they reached the shed she stood and watched as he looked through boxes.
 
“Kagome, did I ever tell you the story of the youkai princess, Misaki?” He didn't bother to wait for an answer, instead just launching into his tale. “Well, there was once a beautiful youkai princess whose father was a powerful lord. She had hair of the finest silk, eyes that shone like stars in the darkest skies, and she was quite shapely as well.” Her grandfather shot her a quick grin but found she wasn't looking. “Kagome? Kagome are you listening?” His granddaughter nodded her head as she accepted the box being handed to her and set it near the door. He returned to his task of searching the boxes and continued on with the story. “Well now, she came of age during a time of war and great strife…”
 
Kagome was in her own little world. `I wonder if I packed enough ramen. I can't wait to give Shippo the new crayons and coloring books I got him! He's gonna love them! Hopefully he won't leave them out to get eaten by a stupid demon this time. Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi seemed so sad that I couldn't come. I wish I had more time to spend with them.'
 
“…as his mate.” Grandfather handed Kagome another box, frowning when he noticed the girl seemed to be off in her own world. Why did he even bother? Really, she should be listening intently! This was very important! “Her father accepted…”
 
`A girl's night really does sound like fun. That's it. I'm going to find time whether Inuyasha likes it or not! At least they weren't around when I ran into Hojo. I can't believe he's still asking me out after two years of me turning him down! He's either incredibly persistent or incredibly dense. I wish there was some way to get him to move on. I don't think I will ever be interested in him. He's just…just too…I don't know, too goody-goody I guess. Not my kind of guy.'
 
“…ceremony and signing of the alliance between the two lands.” He located another box and handed it to his granddaughter. Kagome glanced at him, telltale blankness in her eyes. She hated it when her grandfather went on and on with his ancient stories. It's not like they meant anything to her or anything! Nevertheless, her grandfather persisted as he grabbed a few boxes himself and motioned for her to follow with the others. As they walked he talked. “The night before the ceremony Misaki had a dream.”
 
`No, my kind of guy is strong and tough, definitely not Hojo. Hojo is sweet but wimpy compared to Inuyasha. Oh my Kami! Did I just compare Inuyasha to Hojo? Yeah, like Inuyasha would be my dream guy! No matter how much I love the guy he is certainly lacking in some very important areas like, oh I don't know… manners! My guy would be polite. He wouldn't yell and scream at me or call me wench and any other creative names. He would be more mature, that's for sure. Oh, and most importantly? He wouldn't be obsessed with a reanimated corpse! That's pretty much all she is! I wish he could just move on. I guess I need to since he never will.'
 
“…would tip the scales in the final battle.” They had reached the shop now and they both set down their boxes and started to put up the merchandise. “When the princess woke she found that she no longer…”
 
While she put away the items she continued to allow her mind to wander, completely ignoring the story being told. `I'm gonna be alone forever! How can I meet a guy? I'm here for a few days every few weeks. No time to date, especially no way to keep a boyfriend. And there, besides the fact that Inuyasha acts like a dog protecting his favorite chew toy when anyone shows any interest in me, like with Kouga, what would be the point? I can't stay there. Why start something I can't finish? Once this is all over I'll probably have to come home, not that my life isn't already royally screwed here. Why can't I stay there? Maybe I could stay there, if the well lets me. I like it there. And I couldn't stand to leave Shippo.' Kagome finished emptying her boxes and shelving the trinkets.
 
“…the item in a sealed box and…” Kagome cut him off. “All done, Gramps. Sorry, can't stay! I have to get back before Inuyasha throws a fit! Love ya!”
 
Before he had time to protest she was gone. “Darn girl! No patience and no respect for her elders.”
 
Just then his daughter, Kagome's mother, Hiromi entered the shop, having witnessed Kagome's quick exit. “So father, did you tell her the story?”
 
“I tried but you know how she is! She thinks my stories are silly and refuses to listen to them. I was just getting to the important part too! Well, just you wait! She'll be back begging me to tell her the story again!”
 
Hiromi merely nodded her agreement. “Come on now father. Let's go have some tea. You and I both know Kagome will listen when the time is right.”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagome had run for her life, or at least to end the torturous boredom of her grandfather's stories and escape her confusing thoughts. Why worry about something that you couldn't control? She might not have a choice. The well could close and seal her on one side or the other, taking the whole thing out of her hands. Once the jewel was whole who knows what would happen. Now she was in the well house, looking down at the object of her thoughts and into the dark recesses of her portal through time. The view always creeped her out a little. It was just so dark and if something was down there waiting she would never know. She sucked it up, stepped onto the ledge, and hopped into the darkness.
 
She felt the magic flow around her as a blue light seemed to cradle her body, carrying her safely back to the past. She likened the feeling to slowly sinking to the bottom in the deep end of the pool. When the familiar magic receded Kagome found herself standing on the dirt bottom of the well. She looked up and saw a soft, clear blue sky with a few puffy, pure white clouds floating by. She took a moment to appreciate the sight before grabbing hold of the long, thick vines that lined the well walls and served as her ladder to extract herself from the depths when she was without the convenience of a half-demon to lift her out.
 
It took some struggling, but then it always did when her pack was fully loaded. For a moment she regretted coming early, if only because Inuyasha wasn't there to help her with her heavy bag. After all, it was only fair. At least half the space was filled with ramen just for his ungrateful ass. Kagome grinned at that thought. She loved watching him gorge himself on the instant noodles. It was one of the few times when he looked truly happy so she really didn't mind bringing them, even if he never said thank you.
 
Once she managed to get out of the well she sat on the edge for a minute to catch her breath before struggling to stand and continue on her trip to the village. She was about halfway there when she froze, feeling a powerful demonic aura approaching. She didn't sense any shards which was almost a relief except that the aura was so strong she was sure that the demon wouldn't need the help of the shards to kill her if it wanted to. Subconsciously she wrapped her hand around the small bottle of jewel shards which contained a whole whopping three. Suddenly she realized that she had left her bow and arrows in Kaede's hut, having put them down to gather her things to return home after her fight with Inuyasha. She was too far from the village to make it to safety but also too far from the well to make a run for it to escape. She cursed her own stupidity quietly as she reached out with her powers to sense more about the approaching aura. It felt familiar but before she had time to realize who it was the demon revealed himself to her.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
He really didn't want to be doing this. He hated needing assistance from anyone. He never should need the help of others, but this circumstance was extraordinarily humbling being as he not only needed help but he needed the help of a human woman, a miko no less. No demon should ever need the help of a miko and they would never seek it anyway knowing that all miko would rather kill any demon than look at it. But this miko was different, he knew. This miko cared for demons and humans alike and even somehow tolerated his hanyou brother. Yes, the Great Lord Sesshoumaru was in need of the help of his brother's wench, a girl who he had tried and failed to kill multiple times.
 
The enigma of the odd miko did not escape him. He had been curious about her ever since she pulled his father's sword when neither he nor the hanyou could. Then she went on to survive his poison when she should have melted into a puddle of fresh steaming miko soup. It had frustrated him enough to allow himself to be distracted, thus costing him his left arm. He wanted to believe his half-brother got lucky but the truth was he got careless. As if that wasn't bad enough, he had to live with the constant reminder of his carelessness represented by his empty sleeve.
 
No, he really wished he wasn't here, wished that he could be anywhere else, but it was unavoidable. He needed help only this miko could or would give. He had heard of and even witnessed her amazing powers of forgiveness and he only hoped she would overlook his past attempts on her life to help him. The lives of those the most important to him depended on it.
 
He was traveling quickly towards the village he knew the group stayed at when resting from their journey and he hoped beyond hope that they were there. He was desperate, as impossible as that sounded. He had to find the girl and fast. He didn't have the luxury of time to search all of Japan to find them. Suddenly his nose caught scent of her. He sniffed deeply, drawing the enticing scent deep into himself, savoring it for a moment before he realized what he was doing. He could tell that she was alone. Maybe this wouldn't be so difficult. He couldn't imagine having to ask for her assistance in the presence of the half-breed. As always, the simpleton would jump at the chance to start a fight with him and would be sure to keep him from her at all costs. The hanyou was incredibly protective of the girl.
 
He drew in her scent again and turned slightly to head towards her location instead of the village. Her scent was that of strawberries in fresh cream, a treat he shared with his mother often before her death, one of his few memories of her. Buried within that sweet comforting scent was the smell of power and purity. Her scent had always enticed him, drawn his attention no matter how hard he fought it. He found himself following his brother's group unconsciously just to smell her. He would confront the half-breed just to lay eyes her. And now here he was, despite all his attempts at avoiding her, landing directly in her path.
 
He had detected the scent of her fear, a change in her scent that he had to admit he disliked even if he didn't know or refused to admit why, as he had approached but as she saw him the scent of her fear receded and she visibly relaxed. `Apparently this girl is under the impression that there are others more worthy of fear than this Sesshoumaru.' He ached to teach her the folly of her assumptions, mostly out of habit as well as a bit of self-denial, but he needed her so he couldn't kill her for her insolence just yet.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Shippo sighed again loudly. He was impatient. He wanted his Mama to be back now. Miroku and Sango had repeatedly assured him that Kagome would return soon as promised but he couldn't help missing her. It was just so hard to sleep without her. Her scent soothed him, her proximity made him feel safe. Once again the kit contemplated just how lucky he was to have met Kagome. He still regretted tricking her to steal her shards and getting her mixed up with the Thunder Brothers but if he hadn't then he wouldn't have the second chance at a family that he had now. He thought about just how special his new Mama really was. Humans would never take in an orphaned demon. Other demons wouldn't even take in an orphan, even if they were the same kind. Mikos would kill even defenseless demons on sight. And yet here he was, loved and cared for by an amazing miko from the future. He didn't think he could get any luckier if he tried.
 
Still though, he held a tiny bit of fear that he kept hidden from everyone. What would happen when the jewel was restored and the battle was over and done with? Would she leave him? It was mostly due to this fear that he had yet to ask if he could call her Mama. Oh, he called her his Mama in his mind every chance he got but he was too afraid to ask her, partly for fear of what she might say and partly because of the jealous hanyou that got angry enough at the kit just for finding his scent on the girl. How would he react if she were to become his mother officially? That was his true dream, for her to adopt him formally so that all youkai would know that he was hers and she was his. He smiled for a moment, imagining how it would be if she did adopt him, how they would be a real family, making one very happy kit and making Kagome an even bigger oddity of a miko, mother to a youkai.
 
Another Miko who didn't quite fit the mold was busying herself with herbs she had collected earlier, tying bunches to dry and adding others to jars. While reaching for another jar a little further back on the shelf her fingers brushed silk. She smiled for a moment, thinking of the silk wrapped package that had been sitting on her shelf for nearly forty years, left with her by a demon, a gift for someone who had not yet come. Soon it would be time. The package, although dusty, was still perfect in the same condition it had been in when given over to her for safe keeping. Kaede was sure the time close. She was drawn from her thoughts when she felt the moment Kagome came through the well, able to feel her aura of purity, her great untapped powers just under the surface. Kaede felt when the familiar demon aura, cloaked enough that none of her companions could detect it but not enough to escape her senses, approached the time-traveling girl. A small smile grew slowly across her face. Yes, the time would be coming soon.
 
Sango was sitting by the fire in the hut polishing her giant boomerang when she heard the kit sigh once again. She knew just how he felt. She missed Kagome as well. Every time she went home, even though it was only for a few days, she feared that her friend that she loved as a sister would not return. She knew better really but the fear was still there. She was the last of her family and her entire village besides her brother Kohaku who was basically the walking dead, a zombie controlled by Naraku.
 
She would never in her wildest dreams have pictured herself where she was now with a new, albeit odd family. Kagome was a sister to her, Shippo then like a nephew. She knew the kit secretly thought of Kagome as his mother just as she knew Kagome considered herself a mother-figure to the kit as well. Inuyasha, despite his attitude, was a beloved brother, and then there was the monk. The lecherous monk who couldn't keep his hands to himself, who flirted with every girl he laid eyes on and asked them all to bear his child, and who drove her absolutely crazy at times; the man she loved more than anything. She accepted his flaws and even found some of them slightly charming, but there was always fear when it came to Miroku. The wind tunnel in his hand could suck him in at any time, ending his life without warning. She didn't know what she would do without him and hoped she would never have to find out.
 
Miroku sat meditating off to one side of the hut. Every now and then he would peek open an eye to sneak a look at his beloved Sango. Each time he laid eyes on her his determination to defeat Naraku grew. He didn't want to ever have to leave her and as long as he held the curse of the wind tunnel he would fear hurting his dearest demon slayer with his demise. He no longer fought for himself but for his dream for it all to end so that they could finally marry and start working on all the children he wanted. A lecherous smirk crept onto his face as he imagined how he would get each and every child with his Sango. He peeked at her again and saw her turn towards him, immediately wiping the smirk from his face and pretending to concentrate once again. It was just so hard to focus on anything but her when she was near. He didn't want to waste a second that could be used to take in her beauty.
 
Inuyasha was nowhere to be found. They hadn't seen him since shortly after Kagome had left. They were all afraid he had returned to Kikyo as they had all heard of her most recent attempt while Kagome gathered her things. He was an important part of their group and they didn't want to lose him but nothing seemed to get through to him about his dead love. He wouldn't truly be safe until she was returned to her grave but she seemed to evade death expertly this time around. Even Kaede had tried to convince the hanyou that the creature with her sister's face was not in fact her sister but a poor imitation filled with nothing but hate. She had asked that Inuyasha return her to a peaceful rest but he'd lashed out, accusing her of abandoning her own blood. He would never be able to kill Kikyo. Instead, Kikyo would end up killing him and he was stupid enough to let her.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
When she realized who it was Kagome immediately calmed but she remained on guard. She had never truly feared Sesshoumaru even though he had tried to kill her a few times. After the first time she always had the feeling his attempts on her life were half-hearted anyway. She looked into his eyes, searching for why he was there, her confusion apparent.
 
He watched as she eyed him. He knew she wanted to know what it was he was there for but it was fun to make her worry for a moment or two. `Did this Sesshoumaru just think that interaction with the miko was fun? I must be losing it because of the stress.'
 
They stood, silently examining each others' eyes for another full minute before Kagome forced her eyes from his. It was a very hard thing to do. His eyes were hypnotizing, like staring into a deep pool of melted gold that was constantly swirling and shifting.
 
“Hello Sesshoumaru. Is there something you need?” Kagome questioned, purposely leaving the honorific off of his name. She just couldn't bring herself to call him Lord Sesshoumaru or Sesshoumaru-sama. She kept her eyes averted, afraid she'd once again fall under the spell of the golden pools.
 
“Hn. Miko, I have come to collect you. I have need of your services.” He was unhappy at her disrespect but now was not the time to educate the girl.
 
Kagome's head snapped up, their eyes meeting once again. “Ser..services? Huh?” She seemed to have lost the ability to form thoughts, let alone full sentences.
 
“Yes miko. I find myself in an unusual situation in which I must request that you accompany me to my residence.”
 
“Huh?” she mumbled once again.
 
“Miko, this Sesshoumaru despises repeating himself. Pay attention so that I do not have to. My pups have been placed under a curse, apparently perpetrated by a dark miko, probably one serving Naraku. My healers have determined that only a pure miko can break the curse and save them, although they assured me that I would not find one willing to assist a demon, let alone willing to save the lives of demons. Because of the kit you care for, as well as your loyalty to the half-breed, I came to the conclusion that you do not follow the same beliefs as all other miko and may be willing to assist me.”
 
Finally Kagome seemed to snap out of her stupor and was able to respond in a full and clear thought. “You need my help because your pups have been cursed? Let me get this straight. You are here asking me to help you? No demands, no threats, just asking?”
 
“Miko, you frustrate this Sesshoumaru to no end. I am indeed asking for your assistance. Without you my pups are guaranteed death. As much as I despise the situation, I have no other choice.”
 
“When did you have pups anyway? I didn't even know you had a mate. No, wait, never mind. That isn't important right now. I really don't know how much I can do for them. I'm not fully trained, barely trained is more like it, but I will do my best to help, with a few conditions though.” Kagome watched him carefully as she spoke. Really, she didn't know how much she could do being as she didn't have the training, experience, control, or amount of power most miko would have but he was right about one thing. No other miko would choose to save the life of a demon, a fact which saddened her.
 
“State your conditions.” Sesshoumaru was relieved that she agreed to help, even though he would never show it. He was not so worried about her abilities. He could feel the power coursing through her and knew that for miko using their powers, although somewhat dependent on training, was also highly instinctive and instinct was something he as a dog demon trusted implicitly. He also had a large library of texts of miko, both dark and pure so if research was needed it could easily be done. Now he only had to worry on her conditions. What would this human ask of him in exchange for something as priceless as the lives of his pups?
 
Kagome only requested a few things. One: he would not cause her harm if she was unable to help. When stating this she once again mentioned her lack of training but also promised to do everything she could. Two: if she was able to help them, the use of her power may make her weak and she requested his protection until she regained her full strength. Three: that he would return her safely to the village upon her recovery. And four: that he would answer all her questions. She justified this final request by saying that any small detail may assist her in helping the pups, which was true, but it was also true that she was very curious about this demon she had encountered many times but had little knowledge of. He had always been a bit of a mystery to her, one she had thought about several times and now she might have a chance to solve it, or at least shed a little light on the inner workings of the taiyoukai.
 
When she finished stating her requests she was surprised when he agreed without question. `I guess he really must be desperate to save them. I never figured he would give in without any difficulty.' She had expected haggling, if just because of the obvious stubbornness of the demon lord before her.
 
Upon hearing her response he was surprised. He had expected her to demand a great amount of his wealth or maybe his word on the safety of his half-brother. Humans were known to be greedy, that he knew for sure. What she requested instead was unexpected. Once again he had greatly underestimated the miko.