InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ The Search Continues and Who Trusts the Wolf ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.

Chapter 11 - The Search Continues and Who Trusts the Wolf? 
 
      They had finally arrived at the village well past dark. They had traveled all day, wasting no time, hoping and praying that Kagome had simply been delayed and that she was now waiting for them, safe with Kaede. When they arrived however, Kaede told them that she had not seen the girl, making their worries increase. Where was she then? They all silently hoped that she was at home in her time. Inuyasha would wait until morning to go check, as it was too late to find anyone awake there.  
 
      Kaede had been shocked at the state of Shippo. His eyes were dull, his clothes disheveled, his hair a mess. He looked as if he had lost a lot of weight. When they arrived, Shippo had walked in slowly and curled up on the futon Kagome usually inhabited when they stayed the night. He breathed deeply, finding just a hint of her scent before he drifted off into a restless sleep. Sango and Miroku found sleep quickly despite their worry. Their exhaustion got the better of them. The night was filled with the whispers of Kaede and Inuyasha. She was not saddened but rather relieved to learn of her sister's `death'. Now the clay golem with her sister's face could no longer commit evil deeds and sully her sister's memory. She had been just as horrified as Inuyasha had been when he told her of the vision of Kikyo and Naraku with Sesshoumaru's pups, though she had not seemed surprised as they all had been that Sesshoumaru had pups at all.  Inuyasha was suspicious just as Miroku had been at the calm of the old woman. She should have been worried about Kagome but she didn't seem very concerned. He would have questioned her further but it was nearly dawn and he had someplace to be.  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Kagura had arrived and immediately told Naraku of her discovery. He had been quite pleased. If he could find the miko before her friends did then he would once again hold something that the inu hanyou who frustrated him beyond all means cared for. Even though Kikyo had failed to mate him, which Naraku had actually found rather funny as it had upset her so, he still could use it against Kagome. If he was able to capture her, she wouldn't know if he spoke the truth or not and Kanna wouldn't even have to manufacture images to show her in the mirror. Parts of what really had occurred were damning enough. He immediately called for Kanna, ordering her to show him Kagome in the mirror. Once again though, the mirror swirled and swirled but would not clear.  
 
      “I cannot locate her, Master. Wherever she is, it is shielded or hidden from my sight somehow.” Kanna spoke in her monotone voice, sounding for all intents and purposes dead. Naraku was once again furious. What good would it do him to know she was missing if he couldn't find her either?! He sent his Saimyosho out, ordering them to search everywhere for the girl as well as to keep an eye on her friends— from a distance of course, in case they were to find some clue as to her location. He also sent Kagura out on a mission of her own. Why wait to torment Inuyasha when he could do so now? 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      When the sun rose, Inuyasha was out of the hut like a shot and through the well. When he arrived in the future he took a deep breath, hoping to find her scent but it was missing. He leapt to her window and let himself in. She never locked her window anymore, knowing it was his preferred point of entry. The scent of her was everywhere in her room, but it was old. She had not been there for some time. He opened her door and went down the steps to the kitchen where he knew he would find her mother.  
 
      When she turned around, she had been quite surprised to find the half-demon she loved as a son standing in the doorway, looking quite down. 
 
      “Inuyasha dear, is there something the matter? Did Kagome come home with you?” Inuyasha felt his guilt grow as he watched her eyes widen with realization. He had failed to protect Kagome and now her mother might never see her again and it would be entirely his fault. She clutched at her heart, her worry obvious. 
 
      “I'm not sure.” He hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to proceed. “When did Kagome leave here?” 
 
      “She left a week ago, last Friday, why? Kami Inuyasha, where is she?” The elder Higurashi woman appeared to be nearing hysterics. His answer was not what she had expected. Why would he ask when she left? Surely he would know! 
 
      Inuyasha took in a deep breath and let it out slowly before continuing. “I'm sorry ma'am, but she never arrived. Miroku and Sango waited for her by the well at sunset just like we always do. She never came. We haven't seen her since she left the last time.” 
 
      “Did you say sunset?” Inuyasha slowly nodded his head. “She didn't leave at sunset. She left just a little bit after school. She had mentioned something about `showing him I'm not always late' or something like that and seemed to be in a rush. Where could she be? What has happened to my baby, Inuyasha?” Tears were now streaming down her face. He didn't know how to deal with a crying woman, never had, but he had to do something so he pulled her into his arms.  
 
      “I don't know where she is, but I will find her. I promise you that. She is strong. Wherever she is, I am sure she is fine.” He rubbed her back gently and eventually her tears slowed. He released her and she gave him a watery smile. 
 
      “Thank you, Inuyasha. I know you will find her. I trust you.” He felt a jolt in his heart at her words. If he had been at the village instead of off looking for Kikyo, he would never have missed Kagome's arrival. Whatever had happened to her was his fault, of that he was sure. He looked up to see the woman with her head now in the pantry. “If she never got to you then you must be in need of supplies. Let me get some things together for you before you go.” She never ceased to amaze him. The Higurashi women were strong. He watched as she gathered items into a pile of the table. There were a few stack of ramen, along with other ninja snacks. A fully stocked first aid kit joined the pile, along with a box of matches, a cooking pot, a few bottles of water, a box of pocky for Shippo, and more.  
 
      “Would it be alright if I take something from her room for the runt? He's really upset without her and I thought that if I bring something with her scent on it, then maybe he will feel a little better.” It was unlike him, he knew, to think of others, but this whole situation was his fault so he felt obligated to try. 
 
      “Sure, dear.” Hiromi failed to look up from her task of arranging all the items into a spare backpack. He raced up the steps and returned to her room, letting his nose lead him, trying to find something her scent clung heavily to. He eventually decided on her pillow. It still smelled strongly of her and it was also soft, so maybe Shippo would find it comforting. Once he was gone, the small smile on Hiromi's face spread. Finally it had started. The wide grin was quickly hidden when she heard Inuyasha's feet coming back down the stairs. When he returned to the kitchen, she handed him the bag and gave him a small smile followed by a tight hug. “I know you will find her. I think I would have a feeling if something bad had happened to her. You will find her safe and well, I just know it.” She watched as he exited the house and entered the well house before leaping back in time. “Good luck, Kagome,” she whispered to herself, before she returned to her tasks, trying to keep her mind occupied, at least until Souta left for school. 
 
      Inuyasha wasn't so sure that Kagome was fine and her mother's words echoed through his mind sounding an awful lot like those of Kaede. He didn't understand how either of them could be so certain that Kagome was safe. If she had come through the well early but not made it to the village then someone or something must have intercepted her. Upon deciding this he scented the area carefully, checking for any scent of Kagome or her blood. He did not find any trace of her on his return walk to the hut. The scent of her blood would have remained even now if she had been seriously injured, and he knew she wouldn't go down without a fight. It just didn't make any sense. He knew she was much stronger than he had ever given her credit for and once again his guilt nearly drowned him. Where could she be? Who would she have gone with without a struggle? He decided that they should check with Kouga and his pack first. Maybe some of his pack had been injured. Maybe he had come to her for help. Maybe he kidnapped her. It was always possible. 
 
      When he arrived he relayed the information and his suspicions before handing the pillow to Shippo. The kit buried his face in it and breathed deeply before setting it down, climbing on and curling up, falling instantly into a calm sleep for the first time since Kagome had been gone. Sango was relieved at this. Maybe Shippo would be okay now until they could find their friend. They decided to leave the kit behind, leaving a message for him with Kaede that he was to wait there in case Kagome returned. They knew he wouldn't be happy but it would be better this way. He was in no shape for traveling anyway. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Just as the group of travelers was leaving Inuyasha's Forest, Sesshoumaru was exiting his study, intent on investigating the ruckus in the dining hall. He could hear Jaken squawking, Rin squealing, and several servants talking and rushing about. When he reached the door he was greeted with a relieving sight. There sitting at the table were four of his sons, the two oldest and the two youngest.  
 
      “It is good to see you awake. I take it you are feeling well?” They all looked up as he began to speak, the servants freezing in place, arms loaded down with trays of food. At his nod they all resumed their tasks. 
 
      As usual Yoshikazu, his eldest, was their spokesman. “Yes father, we are all well. Hisoka, Hitoshi, and Akihiro have remained with the miko. We did not wish to leave her alone.” The others nodded their agreement before all four dug into their food as if they were starving. He supposed that they probably were.  
 
      “She has not awakened then?” Though he tried to hide it, Sesshoumaru knew that his disappointment was still heard clearly in his voice. 
 
      Yoshikazu finished chewing and swallowed before replying. “No father, she has not. When we have finished eating, we will return to her and then the others can eat.” 
 
      “I can send a servant to watch over her.” 
 
      “NO!” all four boys cried out before realizing that they had just yelled at their father. They all lowered their heads respectfully in apology.  
 
      Shinji continued on for them. “Please, father. We wish to repay her kindness. We would like to look after her while she recovers. It seems that because we each hold a part of her, our proximity aids in her healing. When we are near her we can feel her growing stronger through our link.” 
 
      “Very well. If I am needed I will be in my study. I wish to be alerted immediately if she so much as stirs.” 
 
      “Yes father,” all four replied as one. 
 
      Sesshoumaru turned and headed back to his office, a grin on his face. So, his pups had become attached to her. This could work in his favor. After all, the miko seemed a sucker for children. Maybe this was a way for him to remain close or at least a reason to visit that his brother could not complain about, for he was certain the miko would not allow it. If his sons felt a need to see her regularly, she would make sure that it happened. No matter her opinion of him, she would not hold it against a child. This would give him a chance. Yes, things were looking up already. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      After Inuyasha had left her and she had seen Souta off to school, Hiromi exited the house and made her way to a storage shed on the shrine grounds. She unlocked the door and entered slowly, closing the door behind her. She looked around her for a moment, taking in all of the priceless antiques and irreplaceable relics that were stored on the shelves along with boxes filled with the charms sold at the shrine gift shop. Using a stool, she pulled a small round box out from its hiding place on the top shelf at the far end behind many other boxes. When she had hidden it, she made sure to put it in a place that neither Kagome nor Souta would stumble upon it if sent to retrieve something. She stepped down from the stool and carefully opened the lid and lifted out its delicate contents. In her hands was what appeared to be half of a crystal ball mounted on a round silver plate. The item was stunning. The silver base was wider than the diameter of the crystal and was etched with a pattern of moon phases along the outer edge. Cut into the edges were two handles, so that the relic could be held without danger of dropping it.  The full moon cycle was repeated twice, once on either side of the handles. The new moon started the cycle above the left handle. The waxing moon followed. The full moon rested in the 12 o'clock position, and the waning cycle continued on clockwise, ending at the top of the right handle. On the opposite side, the pattern was mirrored.  
 
      She concentrated on Kagome and then looked into the center of the ball. There was a soft pink swirl of light before a picture appeared. She could see her daughter, seeming asleep in a large lavish bed covered with silk and surrounded by white fur. Yes, Kagome was indeed fine. She was safe and well. She then noticed her daughter's arm and a smile broke out on her face. Finally, after nearly two years, things seemed to be moving along. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Yoshi, Shin, Yuudai, and Isamu had finished their meal and immediately returned to the room which held the sleeping miko to take over guard duty for their brothers. They spoke for a moment, Yoshi telling them what their father had said. They all shared a conspiratorial smile. Their father definitely had an interest in the miko. The triplets then went down to eat as the two sets of twins shifted form and curled around the girl once again. Her scent was already stronger than it had been when they left not an hour earlier. She was sure to wake soon. Then, they hoped, the fun could begin. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Kagome's human friends were flying high over the trees atop Kirara as Inuyasha leapt from treetop to treetop, heading towards Kouga's caves. Kirara suddenly changed directions, barely dodging the blades that flew at them in an attempt to knock them from the sky. Looking around they spotted her. Kagura sat atop her feather, floating not far from them with her fan in hand. Inuyasha jumped to the ground and yelled at her. “Kagura, damn you, if you want a fight then come down here and fight! Otherwise, get the fuck out of our way. We have better things to do with our time.” Sango nudged Kirara, who landed beside the fuming hanyou.  
 
      “Oh, but don't I know it.” Kagura's smile was rather unsettling but they didn't have much time to ponder it before they heard the dark laughter of Naraku coming from the edge of the clearing.  
 
      “It seems you have lost something rather important to you, haven't you Inuyasha?” Naraku laughed some more while Inuyasha growled deeply and pulled his sword, which transformed into a giant fang, ready to tear Naraku to shreds. “Actually, you have lost two things, one killed by your own brother, and the other, well; I wouldn't worry about her anymore. I will be sure to find her for you. Although, I can't promise to return her to you in the same condition I find her in.” His laughter seemed to surround them as the sky became dark, covered in a cloud of demons.  
 
      “You fucking bastard!” Inuyasha yelled before running towards where Naraku could be seen in the shadows. The swarm of demons overhead descended on them and the battle was on. As Inuyasha approached where Naraku stood, tentacles extended from his body, flying out in an attempt to impale the inu hanyou. Inuyasha cut them off in one powerful sweep of the Tetsusaiga before sending the Windscar at him. He was not in the mood to play around and he didn't plan on wasting time. Meanwhile Sango and Kirara had taken to the sky once again, Sango wielding Hiraikotsu killing demons in powerful sweeps while Kirara ripped from the sky any who got too close. Miroku was on the ground swinging his staff and throwing sutras, purifying demons all around.  
 
      It seemed that Naraku had only cared to get his message across as he did nothing to avoid the Windscar and made no attempt to raise a barrier. As was expected, all that remained was a broken wooden puppet with a strand of black hair wrapped around it. Inuyasha turned away and searched the sky for Kagura, but it seemed that she had disappeared. “Sango, Miroku, get out of the way!” When they heard his yell, Kirara landed behind Inuyasha after grabbing Miroku quickly by his robes on the way. Once his friends were out of the way, Inuyasha finished the rest of the demons off in one swipe.  
 
      “Why thank you, Kirara,” Miroku said kindly as the giant cat carefully lowered him to his feet. Sango slid down and Inuyasha turned to face them. “It seems to me that Naraku only intended to taunt. It didn't seem like he planned much of a fight.” 
 
      “No, that was too easy. But how did he know Kagome was missing?” Sango asked while pushing her hair back out of her face. Miroku's eyes were riveted to her heaving chest as she attempted to catch her breath.  
 
      “I don't know how the bastard found out but now that he knows we have to find her before he does. I won't let him hurt Kagome!” Inuyasha was trying his best to hold down his anger. He had really needed a fight to work off some anger and worry and that little battle was only enough to piss him off. He growled suddenly and the others looked at him in question. Before they had a chance to ask what was wrong now a tornado of dust appeared in the distance and they no longer needed an answer. The twister dissipated in front of them, revealing a smug looking Kouga. 
 
      “Hey dog breath. Where's my woman? Did she finally decide she can't stand the smell of you?” 
 
      “So she's not with you?” Sango asked. Kouga looked surprised at her question. 
 
      “What do you mean by that? Of course she's not with me! Where is she you fucking mutt?” Kouga yelled. 
 
      Inuyasha growled lowly, but it was Miroku who spoke. “Kouga, hello. Maybe you could help us. Kagome has gone missing and we are searching for her but we do not know where to begin. Perhaps with your assistance we could cover more ground.” 
 
      Kouga's eyes narrowed as he listened to the monk speak. “You LOST her?” Kouga was now in Inuyasha's face, his words coming out mixed with vicious snarls. “I knew you were worthless, but damn it, how could you LOSE HER? She counts on you to PROTECT her, you stupid half-breed mutt.” Inuyasha continued his low rumble but did not respond, and for once, did not attack. He deserved every insult Kouga could throw at him. Kagome did depend on him and he let her down once again.  
 
      Sango and Miroku pushed themselves between the two and finally, after much talking and pleading, managed to get Kouga to sit down so they could explain. They told Kouga the whole story and by the time they were finished they were joined by a panting Ginta and Hakaku, as well as a small pack of wolves. Kouga agreed to help search and they spoke for a while longer, deciding how to split up and who would look where before they separated.  
 
      Kouga had agreed to search his lands in the East, but failed to tell them that he did not plan on returning Kagome if, no, when he found her. She wasn't safe with the idiot hanyou and he loved her too much to let her get hurt. Once they were alone, Kouga gave his men their orders. One wolf was to return to the caves and tell everyone the situation and have them search everywhere for the scent of their pack sister, separating into groups to search all of Japan. Ginta would lead a group in the North. Hakaku and his group would search the South. Kouga decided to cover the East himself. None, however, would be sent to the West unless she had not been found elsewhere. Kouga, while on okay political terms with Lord Sesshoumaru, knew better than to send his men into his lands without permission if he ever wanted to see them again. They were to begin their search immediately once they had received their orders. When he had finished relaying his demands, he took off with a gust of wind and the remaining wolves spread out, sniffing constantly for their pack sister.  
 
      While running, Kouga thought of his beautiful Kagome and how wonderful it would be to finally take her as his mate. His thoughts ran wild and he nearly stumbled several times as he imagined especially distracting things. He would make her his and then the mutt would no longer be an issue. He would save her from whoever had taken her and she would be so grateful she would beg for him to mate her right then and there. He had to slow for a few moments as he pictured just how grateful she would be. Yes, she would be his mate and that was that.