InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Was it Something I Said? ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 24 - Was it Something I Said? 
 
 
      The others were only slightly worried as they watched Kagome lead the feral demon lord away. Inuyasha, however, had been focused on Kouga who, after a little bit of encouragement, quickly left the area. He was no longer in the condition to fight, at least not the two inu brothers together. Sango and Miroku, though, were now sure Sesshoumaru shared some kind of connection with Kagome and had most likely marked her as pack, and it was unlikely that he would hurt her. They did not say this aloud, though. No, Inuyasha was not ready for that knowledge.  
 
      Inuyasha was too pissed off at the wolf to even realize that Kagome was now alone with his brother's beast. He had leapt away immediately after the wolf had left, finding a good tree to fume in alone. He was always upset by incidents with the wolf and he always ended up confused. He knew he hated when the wolf claimed Kagome but he wasn't quite sure why it bothered him so much. He sat in his tree trying to figure it out. He noticed after a bit that he had been thinking of Kagome as his. Not `his shard detector' but his Kagome, his miko. This confused him even more and he was then stuck trying to figure out just what Kagome was to him. He was in his own world, oblivious to everything happening around him. 
 
      After a few minutes of waiting and wondering, Sango and Miroku had decided that they would not be coming back too quickly and had returned to the village, this time followed by the seven pups, Kazue, and Shippo. They all sat around the fire pit outside the elder miko's hut and awaited Kagome's return. Kazue sat with Shippo who pet her while deep in thought. He wondered just what was happening with his Mama and Lord Sesshoumaru. He trusted the demon lord now, but it still unnerved him for her to be alone with his beast. Sango was in her own world as well, trying to get her mind around the events that had just occurred. Miroku had tried to start a conversation and asked the pups some questions but they had refused to answer, and once Yoshi gave him a glare he stopped. That one reminded him way too much of Sesshoumaru himself!  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Naraku really regretted breaking that mirror. If he had the power to rewind time he most definitely would have used it. Now he had to wait until his Saimyosho returned to report any findings, though it didn't really matter anymore being as the miko was now safely back with the half-breed, the slayer, and the monk. He barely even acknowledged their presence as another small swarm of hell bees approached. Once he got the message though, his depression had faded into the background as his anger at himself transferred immediately to Sesshoumaru. Somehow he had managed to save his pups! How the fuck could this have happened? Kikyo failed him, again! She had sworn that no one but a pure miko would have been able to save them and that he would never be able to find one. Apparently either she had been wrong or she had been wrong. Of course, there was also always the possibility that she had intentionally lied to him but right now how it happened didn't matter as much as that the saimyosho had spotted the taiyoukai in his true form being followed by seven smaller white inu running through the forest.  
 
      Naraku slumped down in his throne-like chair. He must be losing his touch! Usually his plans worked at least partly, causing some of the intended pain and suffering. Even if he had failed, so far, to kill off Inuyasha and his group, he had at the very least hurt them with each plot. He needed time to think. He would come up with something, something good, but until then he would lay low, using his little spies to keep an eye on his enemies while he planned. He would get them and while doing so he would get the rest of the jewel! He had really needed to find Kagome and capture her now that Kikyo was dead, which was a new reason for Naraku to be furious with Lord Sesshoumaru. Now only the reincarnated miko could find the jewel shards he so desperately craved. But he couldn't rush. No, he had to take his time and figure out the perfect way to get the girl and cause the most pain to everyone else in the process, hopefully leading to the much desired end to their annoying and worthless lives. And the time he spent thinking and plotting would not be wasted. No, the girl and her group would continue to search for the shards, finding them for him until he was ready to collect his hard-earned prizes: one miko and as many shards as she had managed to get her pretty little hands on. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Kagome wasn't sure what to do or what was going on. THE Lord Sesshoumaru, killing perfection, aristocratic assassin, was holding her tightly to his body with arm around her waist and his chin resting gently on her shoulder. It was very similar to the incident in his study while she was looking at the map, when she thought that she had felt him lick her ear. She had later decided that she had imagined that nice little tidbit but now she wasn't so sure. She could hear and feel when every so often he buried his nose in her hair and deeply inhaled her scent. What in the world was going on? Why was he holding her, sniffing her? And why was she letting him? She blushed as she felt him nuzzle her gently; his nose and chin rubbing her shoulder and the side of her neck below her ear. Without thinking, she tilted her head giving him more access.  
 
      Sesshoumaru couldn't have been more pleased. Okay, so maybe he could have been more pleased but for now everything was a perfect as could be. Even better than he had expected, really. She was allowing him to hold her to his body and when she tilted her head she had, in traditional inu body language, submitted to him while allowing his further exploration of the creamy and delicious skin of her delicate neck. He found himself nipping and kissing, every now and then running his tongue along her sweet tasting flesh. As he breathed her in again he noticed the spicy spike in her scent. He nearly groaned in response. Not only was she allowing his touch. She was aroused by it. 
 
      She had given up on thinking and was just enjoying the sensations he was evoking in her body. It was nice, really nice. Each touch of his lips caused tingles to spread through her entire body. The warmth of his tongue made her skin feel like it was on fire. She could stay right here forever. She felt needed, desired as she never had before. Inuyasha had never made her feel like this. He had never held her close in such an intimate way. He had never made her feel so safe. Each touch spoke to her soul and she felt an inner peace, a feeling of completion she had never known before. She, for that brief moment, felt complete, whole, and perfect.  
 
      Though he was enjoying their private time he knew that the longer they stayed the greater the chance of interruption. He was surprised as it was that his brother had not arrived already to drag her away from him. Why had Inuyasha allowed her to lead him away alone when he knew full well that his beast was in control? Why had he not just killed the wolf before? He now knew incidents like this one had been going on for some time and had been relieved to hear her say she had no interest in the wolf. But there could be other problems.  Did his brother wish as well to have Kagome as his mate, now that the other miko was dead? Would he challenge for courting rights? Did Inuyasha suspect something was going on between him and Kagome? There were too many questions and he decided that he would need to have a chat with his younger sibling. Besides, he already needed to speak with him about a possible alliance so that he could stay as close to Kagome as possible and find a way to ask her to allow him to court her. He found that he was actually afraid to ask her, the fear of her rejection chilling him to the core in a way he had never before experienced. No, he would have to wait a while no matter how responsive to his touch she seemed to be. He knew that just because her body responded to him did not mean her mind was ready to accept him in such a way, no matter how much he wished for it. 
 
      Letting out a quiet sigh followed by one final deep pull of her scent, he traced the curve of her neck with his nose and whispered softly in her ear, “Kagome, we need to return to your friends before they come to take you back by force.” 
 
      It took Kagome a few seconds to realize he had spoken and even longer for her brain to process what he said, but he didn't seem to mind as he used the time to kiss a trail from her ear down her neck to where the collar of her shirt cut off his access to her now tingling skin. Finally his words registered clearly and she stiffened, suddenly realizing where she was and with who and what her friends might think if they were to stumble upon them. A blush spread across her milky skin. Feeling her tense, he reluctantly removed his arm from around her waist and allowed her to scoot away and rise.  
 
      Once on her feet she stared towards the tree line. As soon as she moved away everything changed. She felt lost now. The feelings she had been experiencing were gone, as if they had never been. She felt a definite emptiness, as if she was missing something. The peace was gone, turmoil and confusion left behind. The insecurities that had been ingrained in her for two years returned like a tidal wave. She didn't know what to do, what to say. She pushed down all the odd sensations and the confusion, doing her best to act as normal as possible. Words tumbled around for a minute before she finally managed to speak.  “Yeah, we better get back before Inuyasha decides to jump to conclusions and tries to kill you.”  
 
      He chuckled behind her. “He is welcome to try.” His words were soft and held no threat and she turned to look into his eyes, ending up caught there for a moment. “Come; let's get you back to the village. Everyone returned there and is waiting, except for the wolf prince who actually made a wise decision in fleeing the area, and Inuyasha who is alone a ways off from the group. It seems your friends have welcomed my sons as well.” 
 
      Shaking the sensation that had attacked once again as their eyes met away, she forced out a response. “Really? Maybe Shippo invited them. I hope they are all getting along.” She paused for a moment before deciding to ask one of the many questions that had been bothering her. “Sesshoumaru? What were you all doing near the well?” 
 
      He looked at her for a moment trying to decide how to explain before he looped his arm through hers and began to lead her away from the stream and back to the old miko's hut at the edge of the village where he could sense everyone was waiting. “The mark. Apparently when you went through the well to where ever it takes you,” he paused, looking over at her and seeing worry in her eyes. “which I imagine you will tell me when you are ready. When you went through the connection made by the mark was cut. Such a thing should only happen when the one marked dies. When my pups and I felt the mark cut off we were concerned but also confused as we had no warning feelings of fear or pain, so we did not know how it would be possible for you to have been killed. We came to investigate and Kazue explained somewhat what had occurred before she too felt her mark cut off. Inuyasha refused to explain, of course, and while the monk tried to appease me by offering some information, he refused to tell your secret, which I understood.” 
 
      “Oh. So you all thought I was dead?” 
 
      “Yes, and it is a fairly painful experience, especially for the young, when a mark cuts off as such. They were quite worried for you…” He caught her eye once more. “…and so was I.” 
 
      She was speechless for a moment, her once fading blush flaring up again. “Oh, well, I'm sorry I worried you. I didn't even think about what would happen with the marks when I went home. If I had I would have tried to warn you somehow.” They both slipped into their own thoughts then and continued to walk in silence until they were in sight of the now large group sitting around the outdoor fire pit. Kagome slipped her arm out of his and sped up a bit. She was met halfway by seven young demon boys who were very happy to see her again. 
 
      “Kagome! We were so worried!” Yuudai started.  
 
      “Yeah, when the mark cut we thought you were dead!” Isamu continued on for his brother.  
 
      Kagome looked down at them and noticed Hisoka looked close to tears. He appeared to have been the most frightened by the experience. She immediately bent down and swept him up in her arms and gave him a tight hug before pulling the two youngest in as well. “I'm fine guys, really. I just went home to see my family. I didn't know it was going to do that. Come on. Let's go sit with the others.” She then stood and continued to walk with them the rest of the way to the others. 
 
      “But, Kagome…that doesn't make any sense. The mark should not have been severed no matter where you traveled to. Where exactly is your home?” Kagome smiled at the ever inquisitive Akihiro before sitting down.  
 
      “That, my dear, is a secret. So, what have you all been up to?” Akihiro blushed at her pet name. No one had ever called him anything but his name before, and hearing her call him such an endearment made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 
 
      “Well, after you left with father Shippo invited us to wait for you here.” Hitoshi had a devilish smirk on his face. “What were you two doing for so long, anyway?” 
 
      “Hitoshi! Don't ask such things!” Yoshi scolded. “I'm sorry, Kagome.” 
 
      “It's okay, really. Although you should be careful Hitoshi or you could end up just like my friend the hentai monk. He ends up getting smacked an awful lot. You wouldn't like it, I promise.” She gave him a playful smile as Miroku chuckled softly. “I was just fixing up your father's arm is all. I had to wait a bit before I could heal it.” Kagome finally looked up past the pups to Sango and Miroku who appeared to be listening intently to everything being said. She shot them a grin before reaching towards Shippo who immediately took the hint and leapt into her lap.  
 
      She listened for a while as the boys all chatted about games, powers, and more. Shippo was excited to have someone new to show his tricks to as everyone else had seen them too many times already. Inuyasha had still not come back and she stretched out her senses to find him. He was a ways away but probably within hearing range, so she couldn't talk openly with Sesshoumaru, who she noticed had not fully approached but was standing a bit away, or Miroku and Sango who she knew wanted some kind of answers. No matter how much she wished to tell them she didn't want Inuyasha to start another fight. She knew they had heard what the pups had said and noticed their familiarity with her. They had to have questions and suspicions. Thankfully, though, they appeared to be willing to wait. She looked around at all the faces when she finally noticed Kaede, who standing in the doorway to her hut. The sight of the elder miko jogged her memory. “Oh, shit! I need to go back. Some very interesting things have been brought to my attention at home and I left all my stuff there. I was in such a hurry to keep Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha from killing Kouga that I didn't even grab my bag.” 
 
      “But how did you know that they were going to fight if you were…” Sango paused for a moment while trying to figure out how to word it. “…if you were…at your home?” That was the best she could do. 
 
      “Oh, it's a long, long story and I promise I will tell you all about it when I come back but I need to go home again. I'll be back in a few days, okay?” Kagome said her good-byes and started to walk to the well. She was nearly there when she was stopped in her tracks by Sesshoumaru. 
 
      He had been listening from off to the side for a while now and the secret of her origins was bothering him more and more. If the mark could not reach her there then how was he to protect her? How would he know if she was safe? Something could happen to her there and he would never know! When she said that she was returning and started to walk away he followed her. Then he did the only thing he could think of. He reached out and grabbed a hold of her arm. “No,” was all he said. 
 
      Kagome turned slowly to look at the demon lord holding her arm. “Excuse me?” she said softly.  
 
      “I said no. This Sesshoumaru cannot allow you to go to a place that is unknown to myself, where not even the marks can reach, unprotected.”  
 
      Kagome was silent for a minute, causing Sesshoumaru to think that she agreed. He was rather surprised, then, when she spoke. “Did you just say that you can't `allow' me to go home?” She felt her anger growing, pushing away all remaining confusion, as her powers rose inside her. “I'm pretty sure that you do not OWN me!” She looked down at the hand still holding tight to her arm and allowed her power to flow over her skin, singeing his hand slightly and causing him to pull it back. 
 
      He was rather surprised by her response. He was only trying to protect her, after all, and she nearly purified his hand! “Miko, this Sesshoumaru does not appreciate your tone.” Before he could stop it his arrogant self had taken over. He could not allow a woman to speak to him as such. Habits are hard to break, you know. Really, he should have thought things through just a bit more, but then he had never been present for any one of the thousands of times Inuyasha had tried to keep Kagome from going home so he didn't know he was treading on very, very thin ice.  
 
      “Well, that's just too fucking bad! You are not going to tell me what I can and can't do anymore that I will let Inuyasha do it. Keep it up and you might just find yourself sporting a pretty strand of beads just like his! Now, I am going home. Do not try to stop me. Do not follow me to the well. Oh, and one more thing, do NOT bother to speak to me when I return. It might just be better if you weren't here at all when I get back!” She once again turned and began to walk away. 
 
      He could feel her anger and indignation through the mark and Sesshoumaru was stunned into silence. He knew she had fire, but damn! Despite himself he found that he was extremely aroused by her display as well as the burning tingle that he had felt when her powers ghosted over his hand. Her anger and power turned him on unlike he had ever expected or experienced before and he was glad no one was around to see as he turned to watch her as she stalked off, which wasn't really too bad of view even if she was walking away from him He watched her now tiny skirt sway with her hips, just barely covering the secrets hidden underneath. Oh, but to be a blade of grass beneath her, just for a few moments, so he could discover those secrets. What did she wear under there? The rest of her clothing was odd so he guessed that what he couldn't see was probably just as new to him. Once she was out of sight he turned a bit and walked off back towards the stream. He needed to sit in some cold water because if anyone caught sight or scent of his arousal he was sure he would never hear the end of it.  
 
      The boys had all felt Kagome's anger flare through the marks before the connection was cut completely. They all grimaced at the sensation but reminded themselves that she was alive and safe and would return, which seemed to help. Shippo had a pretty good idea of what was going on and why Kagome had been angry, having watched Sesshoumaru follow her away, and he decided to share. “Hey, guys, come on with me and let's go play.” Once they were far away from the hanyou he started. “I think that maybe your father made the mistake of trying to keep her here. He had a funny look when he followed her. Kagome really hates that. Don't worry too much. She'll have forgiven him by the time she got through the well anyway. Definitely before she comes back.” The others agreed that trying to stop her from leaving was definitely something their father would do. He did like to be in control of everything and he had no control over anything where she was going, wherever that was. They chatted some more and Shippo had a great time sharing some of his favorite stories of times when Inuyasha had managed to upset the miko just as much if not worse, along his rough measurements of just how deep the resulting hole was.  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      The demon lord could not decide how to feel. He was torn between angry with himself for somehow screwing up, confused as hell at what had happened at all, and aroused beyond belief by her fury and power. He hadn't bothered to undress but instead had merely sat in the middle of the ice cold stream fully clothed in an effort to calm the raging erection he had been left with. While sitting there willing his body to calm and his blood to cool he tried to figure out what had just happened.  
 
      `You want to know what happened, do you?' His beast was definitely not happy with him at the moment. `You made her angry! You made her so angry that she told us to leave! How, exactly, do you plan on courting the girl if she doesn't want you in her presence?' His beast was growling and snarling at him.  
 
      `Calm yourself. This Sesshoumaru had no idea the miko would react as such.' 
 
      `You should know better! Our intended is a strong woman and she will not be controlled. You could have at least asked instead of ordering!' 
 
      Sesshoumaru thought for a while at this. `Perhaps you are correct, though this Sesshoumaru is not comfortable with her going to a place that I know nothing of and where we cannot follow.' 
 
      `Neither is THIS Sesshoumaru, but at least I know better than to try to give her orders. She is not a subordinate bitch. That's part of why we like her, remember? Honestly, when I left her our head was in her lap for Kami's sakes. How did you go from the most perfect place on earth to her hating us in less than fifteen minutes?' 
 
      Sesshoumaru knew his beast was right, which was really getting rather old. He was used to being right all the time and completely ignoring the beast and now it seemed like the beast was right about everything lately! But what could he do about it now? She was angry, really angry, and as sexy as it was; it was not good for his cause. He sat for a while longer in the stream before he stood, clothes dripping. He looked around and extended his senses making sure no one was near to see, before he shook himself dry like the inu he is. It was faster and he didn't feel like dripping forever. Once he was sufficiently dry he sniffed the air searching for his sons and located them in a field a ways off.  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      They had been playing tag for a while now once they had all had a good laugh at their uncle's expense. Their running and laughing stopped though when their father appeared in the middle of the field they were circling. He summoned them over and once they had arrived he spoke. “We will be returning to the palace now.” 
 
      “But, father…” Yoshi couldn't even get a full thought in before he was motioned to be silent.  
 
      “The miko is not here and I have many scrolls that need to be read and responded to. Kit, you should return to your group.” That was all he said before he turned and began to walk away. The children looked back and forth between them before the pups turned to follow, all with their shoulders slumped.  
 
      Shippo watched them disappear and felt a little tug at his heart. Why was Sesshoumaru leaving? They had made plans to bring his Mama and the demon lord together and none of them involved him leaving. What had gone on between his Mama and Sesshoumaru?