InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Discovering the Obvious ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 27 - Discovering the Obvious
 
 
His brother had been sitting in a tree glaring at him for hours as he sat next to the well with his back leaned up against the side. He found ignoring him surprisingly easy as he watched Rin and his sons run around the clearing playing something they called tag. Shippo had shown up a while ago and immediately joined in their fun. He had been especially surprised at the game they had played earlier. It was the first one Kagome had taught them while playing in the gardens. He had seen the game from his study window but he had not heard the words. He had been unable to hold back the smile as they sang the little song over and over again. The joy in their voices as they sang the name of the woman they all loved, that he loved, was just too much to deny. Thankfully, however, his back was to his brother so Inuyasha didn't get to see the uncharacteristic smile.
 
He had decided that they would wait for her by the well. He knew Inuyasha was suspicious already, just by his actions. He was concerned that his brother may overreact if he were to discover their secret while alone with Kagome so he fully intended on being there when she returned. Of course, there was also the fact that he needed to apologize to her for his actions the day before. He hadn't seen the monk or the slayer since this morning. They had returned to the village after their discussion of an alliance. It was fairly promising that they were open to the idea. He figured Kagome wouldn't protest and that Inuyasha's opinion would be overruled. Although, that would probably only serve to increase the rift between them, but sacrifices had to be made. He was sure now that he could not live without feeling her aura and savoring her scent. It would end up killing him if he had to.
 
Jaken had been complaining for some time about being so close to a human village, as well as grumbling about the very idea of joining packs with the half-breed. Sesshoumaru had eventually sent him away, ordering him to take Ah-Un to find a suitable place to graze. The two-headed dragon could take care of himself but it was the only thing he could think of to get rid of the annoying toad, and for once he didn't feel like knocking him unconscious. But to assure himself that he wasn't going soft he had made the little kappa unload the large flying beast first, even though most of the bags were as big as he is and probably heavier. It had been an entertaining show and served to distract the taiyoukai from his growing ache for his miko. He needed to be sure that she really would forgive him. Despite the comforting words of the kit and his sons, he was still worried.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagura had been flying without direction for quite some time now. After Naraku had absorbed Kanna she had fled under the guise of doing some spying. She hadn't known what to do. What could she do? Kanna was gone, leaving just Kohaku and herself to do Naraku's dirty work. The saimyosho had trailed her for a while before they spread over the land to keep an eye on things. She had landed then and cried, actually cried. She had always held some hope that someone, anyone, would kill her master and set her free. Now she had watched Kanna be pulled into nothingness just as Kanna had watched her be `born' if you can even call it that. Her hope was quickly floating away on the breeze.
 
She had asked Sesshoumaru in the past to free her, but he had refused. He said it did not involve him, but now it did! Maybe now that Naraku had made a direct attack on his pack he would be interesting in killing the pathetic half-demon that held her heart in his hands. She finally had a direction to go in. She would head west and once again request the assistance of the powerful demon lord. She knew he would have no trouble killing Naraku. No, Naraku was afraid of Sesshoumaru. She knew that no matter how hard he had attempted to hide it that he feared the Lord Sesshoumaru, and for good reason. He knew he was no match for the taiyoukai. Her hope suddenly returned full force. Sesshoumaru would kill Naraku and she would be free to be the wind as she was intended.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Staring at his elder brother's back wasn't doing anything but making him more confused. He had watched as once again Shippo approached the group by the well with no fear as if they were old friends. He was going over the clues in his mind again and again. Suddenly, he realized he had another question with no answer. How in the hell did Sesshoumaru give him those visions? The first one, okay maybe, but the second? It had been all from Kagome's perspective, all Kagome's memories. How did his brother have access to her memories, her feelings, and her pain? To do so they require a serious connection. He had never heard of transferring memories to another, let alone the receiver then passing them on to a third person. So, somehow Sesshoumaru had formed some connection with Kagome. That did explain how he had sensed it when she went through the well. He had marked her. That had to be what the pups had been talking about, except it sounded like they each had felt the connection end, which would mean they all marked her, and Shippo too! The runt had walked right up to his brother's group like he knew them all. When had this all happened? And why didn't she mention it? What had she been doing with his brother? He knew he was close to figuring it out, but he was not quite there yet. He was angry and confused and hurt, too, that she had lied to him.
 
Deciding he needed help he raced to the village, forgetting all about his vigil by the well in his rush to find the monk. Maybe he knew. After all, Miroku had kept her secret about the pain she had been suffering all this time. Maybe he was keeping a secret for her now too.
 
Looking up from his place leaning against the inner wall of the hut Miroku spoke to both Sango and Kaede who were also present. “Inuyasha is coming, and he is coming fast. I think he may have figured it out.”
 
Inuyasha was already at the door. “Figured what out, exactly, monk? And don't you fucking lie to me. Apparently Kagome has been lying to me about more than just one thing. I know you keep her secrets, damn it. You never told me about the pain she was in because of Kikyo having part of her soul!” Inuyasha was fuming but he was trying his best to stay calm. It was possible that they hadn't been clued in either so just screaming probably wouldn't get him anywhere.
 
“What pain Miroku? Kagome was in pain and you never told me? She never told me? Why?” Sango was near tears. Her sister had been in pain and hid it from her?
 
“Calm down, Sango, dear. Kagome asked me not to tell and I agreed. I did my best to help her through it. How, though, did you find out Inuyasha? Did she tell you?”
 
“No, but how I found out is why I know something is going on. I didn't tell you guys before because I was too disgusted with myself to admit it, but you already know the truth of it anyway. After Sesshoumaru killed Kikyo he sent me another vision. It was full of all the times Kagome was attacked by Kikyo, every time she was in danger because I left her, every horrible thing I have ever said to her, and all the pain. I saw you, monk, trying to teach her to meditate to lessen the pain. I just realized now that Sesshoumaru would have had to have some kind of close bond with Kagome to do that because everything was from her point of view. Some of it was shit only she would know. And his damn pups mentioned something about a mark yesterday and Shippo too. Plus it explains how he knew she had gone through the well. For some reason, at some time, Sesshoumaru, Shippo, and his damn pups all marked Kagome as pack. I thought I felt something odd but I was too worried about figuring out how to apologize to her to realize what it was. Now, tell me what you know.”
 
“Ye are more observant than this old woman had expected,” Kaede said with a small smile.
 
“Yeah, yeah, now talk Monk!”
 
“Alright, alright. Now you must understand, everything we know is guesses too. She hasn't spoken with any of us about any secrets. I knew immediately that something had changed with Kagome when she returned but when she noticed me looking at her she sent me her begging eyes and I kept my mouth shut. There is definitely demon energy around her that had not been there before. During the first incident at the well, after you were knocked out, I noticed something interesting. You know the pink teardrop on Kazue's face, under her left eye?”
 
“Yeah, what of it?”
 
“I noticed that all seven pups also have the mark. Then Shippo turned and looked at me and he has it too, but I am sure it had not been there earlier that morning. I had never seen it before. Shippo approached Lord Sesshoumaru and asked if `he felt it too'. When I went to ask Shippo what he meant, your brother told me not to question him, that just as we kept Kagome's secret about the well, they had a secret too and they would not betray confidences. We spoke to Kaede about it that night while you were still out.”
 
“Yes, the mark present on young Shippo and your brother's sons was given by Kagome. Not only that, but she has also transferred some small amount of her power into each, though I know not how or why. I do suspect, however, that they are now protected from holy powers.”
 
“But when in the hell would the wench have done it? And why? Why would she be with my brother at all? He's tried to kill her.”
 
“We figured that she must have been with Sesshoumaru when we thought she was missing. You know you would have flipped out, so that's probably why she lied about it.” Sango shot him a warning glance. “You had better not yell at her about this. We should give her the chance to explain when she is ready.”
 
“Yes, Inuyasha. I am sure she kept this hidden from us because of you. I just realized something. In the vision you had of Kikyo and Naraku, didn't you tell us that Kikyo said that only a pure miko could save them, and that your brother would never find one willing to help him?”
 
“Yeah.” Inuyasha's voice was soft again, still fighting with his conflicted feelings over Kikyo's most recent death.
 
“Well, perhaps he knew this and sought out Kagome to heal them. She is a pure miko and you know as well as I do that if she can help someone she will, no matter who it is. He obviously found someone to heal them, since they are all here and healthy.” Miroku's words landed spot on, as everyone nodded their agreement.
 
“Okay, fine. But why would the bastard mark Kagome? He hates humans!”
 
“Perhaps. But if she is indeed responsible for saving the lives of his young, maybe his feelings towards her have changed. Your brother has a strong sense of honor and she did a great thing for him that no one else would have done. Maybe he did it in an attempt at repayment. Maybe that's really why he wants to join us. Since he marked her as pack he would feel the need to protect her and he can't do that if he isn't with her.”
 
“Not only that, Miroku, but the pups seemed pretty attached to her too. If they share a connection as well then they all would feel a strong pull to be near Kagome. I know you don't like the idea, Inuyasha, but if we are correct then you can be sure he will not harm her. She would only be safer with all of them with us.”
 
“Damnit, that girl has some explaining to do when she gets back. If that's what happened, then fine. I'll find a way to fucking deal with it. It was stupid of her to go with him, but she wouldn't have cared if it meant saving seven children. Her heart is just too fuckin' big for her own damn good.”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
While they unloaded the car Kagome spoke once again. “Hey, Mama? I have a question and I don't know if you will know or not, but I figured I would ask anyway.” Her mother simply nodded for her to continue. “When I was gone, I healed Sesshoumaru's pups. Kikyo had cursed them, along with Naraku, and they were being purified slowly, being turned human. Then they would have died from Naraku's poison miasma. Anyway, I healed them and then I passed out and Sesshoumaru gave me some of his youki to keep me alive until he killed Kikyo.” Once again Kagome only got a nod. “It made some kind of connection between us. I was unconscious but I could talk to him in his head while he was searching for her. I shared my memories with him about my travels and my friends, including the vision I got when I first went into the room with the pups. Somehow, he was able to transfer this vision to Inuyasha so he would understand why he was killing Kikyo. Once I had my whole soul and was getting better he removed his youki and the connection ended. I want to know if there is a way to do something like that again. We want to send Inuyasha a vision about the time after his father died so he will understand why he and his mother had to leave. We're hoping that if he understands, since you know he won't listen…”
 
“You want to help them be brothers again?”
 
“Yeah, basically. It's harder on each of them than the other knows. Plus it would make things a lot easier.”
 
“Well, dear, first of all, Lord Sesshoumaru did not remove all of his youki from you. You held on to a little bit. The connection is still there, it's just weaker. With the addition of the connection made by the mark, you may be able to share memories and thoughts with each other once again.”
 
“Huh, he never mentioned that. I can't even feel it. Shouldn't my miko powers purify it out of me?”
 
“Apparently your powers do not feel threatened by his youki. It appears to have settled in and become a permanent part of you. I'm surprised Inuyasha didn't notice the familiarity. If you still can't communicate like before after giving it a try, then you could try taking in a bit more of his youki. And you are right, it probably is the only way to make Inuyasha understand. It did seem to work before, didn't it? With the second vision he received?”
 
Kagome stopped in her tracks to stare at her mother. “How did you know about that? I never said anything…”
 
“I know, dear. But don't forget, I can check in on you and your friends.”
 
“You're sneaky, you know that?”
 
“Yes, dear. Now, do you want me to wash all of your new things for you?” They had finally finished carrying bag after bag into the house, and every available surface in the living room was covered in their purchases.
 
“That'd be great, Mama. I'm gonna get all the food and other supplies together and take them out to the well house. Then I can just take a few trips back and forth to bring it all.” Kagome then proceeded to sit in the middle of the mess of bags and began sorting, opening packages of band-aids and combining them all into a zipper bag. She continued on, using all the little tricks to save space that she had discovered over her many trips to the feudal era. Zipper bags were the best and she used them for everything. Clean clothes went in the sealed bags to keep them clean and dry, even in a rain storm. School books, too, were sealed away. She learned that after falling into a river once and having to dry out wet books. If you've ever dropped a book in the bathtub then you know just what fun that can be. The ink stayed, but the books were now nearly twice their size. Explaining that to her teachers had not been fun. She ended up having to pay for replacements. Never again!
 
Once everything was as consolidated as possible and sealed for protection, she grabbed a couple of old sheets. She laid the first one out and piled things in the center before pulling up the corners and tying them to make a nice big bag. She then repeated the task twice more. She was very proud of herself, having consolidated it all into just three giant bags besides her big yellow one. All that would be left were her new clothes. She carried the giant sacks one by one to the well house and set them off to the side. Her backpack came along too, packed with a couple of outfits that she figured could hang on for a few more days. She would get her new stuff when she came back for exam week. Once she was ready she said her good-byes and had almost jumped into the well before her mother called out for her from the house. She turned around and went back finding that she had, in fact, forgotten something important. Her mother stood there holding in her hands the scroll and the sealed box. Thanking her Mama profusely, she gave one final hug, slipped the two items into her back pack, and this time actually made it to the past.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
The pups, kit, and Rin had tired some time ago and were now resting in the shade a short distance away. His brother had left in a hurry for some reason and Jaken had yet to return with Ah-Un. So this left Sesshoumaru pretty much alone when his senses were suddenly assaulted on three fronts at once. He felt the powerful magic rise behind him in the well at the same time as her scent hit him full force and the mark became active once again. She had come back to him so quickly and he was relieved. He stood and looked down at her, reaching out his hand and Kagome took hold of it before he lifted her effortlessly out of the well. She shot a huge smile at him and some of his worry washed away.
 
“Hi Sesshoumaru! I'm so glad you're here. When did you come back?” She was really happy to see him too, even if she still didn't understand why. Apparently she had somehow become attached to them all as well.
 
“We arrived this morning. How did you know that this Sesshoumaru had left in the first place?” He raised a perfect silver brow at her as he asked.
 
“That is a bit of a long story, or at least a part of it. I'll tell you all about it later, but I want to tell everyone together so I don't have to do it over and over again. So, Inuyasha hasn't flipped out? I figured he would be here trying to keep you away from me or fighting with you or something.”
 
“He was here for quite a while, but returned to the village in a hurry. I do not know why. I must warn you, he is upset. This morning I offered an alliance and joining of our packs so that we could all work together in the fight against Naraku. He, obviously, was not pleased.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Obviously. Aren't you a smarty pants. You figured out a way for the boys and Rin to stay with me after all.”
 
“Yes, I agree. It was quite a brilliant idea, though I can assure you it had nothing to do with this Sesshoumaru's pants.”
 
Kagome looked at him for a minute before bursting out laughing. “Nothing to do with your pants! That's great!” She looked up at his face and registered the confusion present. “It's just a saying. `Smarty pants' is just a silly phrase.”
 
He waited until she had regained control of herself before responding. “You do say the strangest things at times. Why is that?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Nope, not yet. So Inuyasha's all worked up about it, then?”
 
“Yes, definitely. He was even more angered though by the fact that the monk and the slayer approved of the idea and wanted to wait for you before deciding.”
 
“Ah, I see. Yeah, that would certainly piss him off. Come on, let's get those sleepy heads up and head to the village. I have big news to share.”
 
“Kagome?” His tone stopped her in her tracks and she turned back to look at him again. “This Sesshoumaru would like to apologize for yesterday. I should not have tried to stop you from returning to your home. I did not mean it to sound like an order.” He looked like he was going to continue but she waved her hand and cut him off.
 
“It's okay, Sesshoumaru. It's not a big deal. I'm sorry I yelled at you. I kinda overreacted. When I got home I realized, with some help from my mother of course, that you were just worried about me, right?” He nodded. “I guess I'm just so used to fighting with Inuyasha every time I want to go home that I reacted to you like I would have him. I didn't mean it, and I'm glad you came back. Now let's go get this alliance mess settled.”
 
Nodding his agreement Sesshoumaru moved to wake the large group of sleeping children before taking her pack from where it was slung over her shoulder and starting the short walk to the village. They were still a ways off but he could hear the monk, the slayer, and his brother talking. He slowed to listen before stopping completely. He then whispered to her what he had heard. She needed to be ready when they arrived. They were standing just on the other side of the curtain when they all heard Inuyasha speak.
 
“Damnit, that girl has some explaining to do when she gets back. If that's what happened, then fine. I'll find a way to fucking deal with it. It was stupid of her to go with him, but she wouldn't have cared if it meant saving seven children. Her heart is just too fuckin' big for her own damn good.”
 
Kagome took in a deep breath before pushing through the curtain. “I know, Inuyasha. I knew you would be upset and I'm sorry I had to lie to you all.” All but Kaede looked up at her, shocked. They had managed to miss not only her presence but the presence of eight inu and one kitsune demon as well, all because they were too wrapped up in their conversation. “There's too many of us to all come in here, so could you guys come outside? I'll explain everything, and then tell you my big news as well.”
 
Inuyasha grumbled but rose and brushed past her out the doorway. Miroku helped Kaede to rise, and then all followed Kagome outside, where they then sat around the outdoor fire pit ready to hear her tale.