InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Gifts from the Future, Grudge from the Past ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 29 - Gifts from the Future, Grudge from the Past
 
 
It was definitely an interesting night. All through dinner the brothers stared at her as if challenging her to name one or the other. They both knew it couldn't be Kouga so it had to be one of them. But which one? Eventually Inuyasha gave up and Sesshoumaru decided to worry about it later. She had, after all, looked in on him after she left the last time so chances were good she had been checking in on him before as well. They had decided to camp a bit away from the villagers who were wary of the large demon presence at the edge of their little village. They had gotten used to Inuyasha, Shippo, and Kirara, but Lord Sesshoumaru and his entourage were just too much for their comfort and peace of mind.
 
The now much larger group set up a couple of clearings away from the well, just in case of spies. Kagome definitely did not want Naraku to find out about the well. That could end in disaster. Sesshoumaru and the pups had retrieved their belongings from the clearing by the well, bringing them to their new location. They made a fire in the center of the clearing and while Sango and Miroku stayed near the flames for warmth Kagome had no need. She lay out her sleeping bag fully open and then lay down in the middle on her side with Rin and Shippo both in her arms. Or rather, Rin in her arms and Shippo in Rin's with Kagome's hand resting on him. Kagome pulled out a thin extra blanket to cover them. The pups then all shifted forms and curled around the trio, keeping them warm and safe, as well as keeping the boys very happy. Kazue slept behind her head on the pillow. Kirara was asleep beside Sango as usual, and Inuyasha took up his usual position in a tree above where Kagome slept, glaring down at the now nine demons all touching her, marring her perfect scent. Sesshoumaru sat at the base of the same tree very close to where the large group was laid out. He wished more than anything that he could curl up behind Kagome, holding her close to him with his nose buried in her midnight locks as he had before, but it was not yet to be. So he settled for being close enough to be wrapped completely in her scent and aura. Sleep found most everyone very quickly, as they had had a very exciting day. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha, however, stayed awake watching over those who slept peacefully.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
How could he do this to his most loyal servant? What was the matter with his Lord? He had been acting differently ever since his pups had been cursed. It had to be that miko wench. She had to have done something to him. Why else would his Lord have marked her as he had? Why else would he choose to merge packs with his most hated and disgraceful half-brother?
 
And the young Lords as well. She had done something to them for certain. They now bore the mark of a human miko! His Lord should have been furious for her marring their perfect demon lineage but instead he rewarded her with gifts! The young Lords seemed to hold a strange obsession with the miko now. He had caught them several times talking of her in whispers as if they were planning something.
 
Jaken didn't know what to do! He was positive the disgusting human wench had somehow put a spell on his lord. It was the only explanation! But how was he going to prove it? Just the mention of his confusion at their current situation had caused him to be sent away with Ah Un. At least he wasn't being forced to watch over the human child. The two-headed dragon, though, had insisted on going quite a distance away from their camp to graze, much further than he would have preferred. If the miko were to return while he was gone, who knows what else she might do to his Great Lord Sesshoumaru?
 
He knew he had to find a way to convince his Lord that he was not thinking properly, that something odd was going on. He would have to watch things closely. That is, he would have to watch things closely if this dumb beast ever decided he had eaten his full and they could return. Until then all he could do was worry. Worry and whine in the way he always did.
 
Ah Un wished he could have gone alone but he had understood his Lord's orders. Jaken had been sent with him not to help him search for food but to allow the taiyoukai a moment's peace without his constant muttering and complaining. He had purposely chosen a field as far away as he could manage and was taking his sweet time. The longer he was gone the happier his lord would be. He understood and he didn't see how the toad was quite so stupid as to not. It was so obvious! He had seen many times how his Lord would look at the miko when he thought no one was looking. Being a beast of burden, others generally tended to forget he was present at all, so he had the privilege of witnessing many things no other had while he carried Rin. Rin, now there was a sweet little girl. She often brought him special treats and always thanked him for carrying her. And this woman his lord had eyes for, this Kagome, reminded him greatly of little Rin in so many ways. Yes, he was sure that things were going to be changing greatly, and he didn't mind a bit. He was looking forward to it. Now if only he could get Jaken to shut up!
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
It had been several hours since the last fell into slumber when Inuyasha dropped down from the tree, landing at his brother's side. Sesshoumaru had been running the prophecy through his mind over and over, especially the Sakimitama part. He was still bothered by the possibility that she was destined for someone else. He had just been wondering if he should attempt to talk to the old miko when his brother appeared. “We need to talk,” was all he said at first. Sesshoumaru merely glanced at him and nodded. “There is more going on here than you all said today, isn't there?”
 
The Taiyoukai hid his surprise. He had never expected his brother to be so observant. But then he had also never expected him to figure everything out so quickly either. “I do not know what you speak of.”
 
“Yeah, right. I know that there is more to this. You marked her! A human miko! There is definitely something more.” His tone dared his brother to lie to him.
 
Sesshoumaru turned and stared into eyes just as golden as his own. “This Sesshoumaru marked her as pack as a form of protection, which was the same reason why I gave her Kazue. I had not decided to travel with your group at the time and it was a way to guarantee that most demons would not attack her. My mark upon her is like a suit of armor. Not many would be stupid enough to attack a member of the pack of the Lord of the Western Lands. I owe the miko the equivalent of seven life debts. Do you understand the concept, hanyou?”
 
Inuyasha glared at his older brother. He knew he was lying. He just couldn't tell what about. “I understand perfectly. But I also understand that pack doesn't mean very much to you.” Sesshoumaru growled low, but Inuyasha continued. “Did you think I could forget that you threw me and my mother, your pack, out of our home? Well, guess what?!? I didn't!!!
 
“Keep your voice down, Inuyasha. I know that you still hold a grudge, just as I know that you will accept no explanation from me. I cannot force you to understand. But know this, brother, the miko is pack, officially and permanently. I did not have much difficulty in deciding to do so, as I had already considered her pack, just as I did the slayer, monk, fire cat, and kit. They are all my pack because they are your pack. And whether you believe so or not, you have always been and will always be a part of this Sesshoumaru's pack.”
 
“You're a fucking liar,” Inuyasha growled.
 
“This Sesshoumaru had no need to lie. But since you refuse to believe me at this time, perhaps you should just accept the fact that our packs are now joined. We are now one pack. You know what that means, don't you, little brother?” There was a challenge in his voice now, and Inuyasha recognized it immediately.
 
“I know exactly what that means, big brother. Shall we solve this now?” Inuyasha was ready for a fight that instant.
 
“No, we shall not. We shall solve this the right way, with the pack as witnesses, during daylight. The miko will need to be informed first and the rules will be laid out and followed. You know as well as I that both of us must remain, not only because of the scroll, but because the miko would never forgive the one who survives if the other does not. We will do this the proper way. Do you understand?”
 
“Bring it on,” was all Inuyasha said before he leapt back into his tree. He would try to get a little rest. He had a big fight ahead of him and he didn't want to lose.
 
Sesshoumaru merely smirked as his brother disappeared into the branches above him. Inuyasha was sure to give him quite a fight but he was certain he would win. And then things would be falling in to place nicely. Once this was settled, even if his brother did entertain ideas of mating the miko he would not be able to do so. Not unless the demon Lord first made it known that he did not have any interest in a claim himself, which was definitely not going to happen. Then the hanyou wouldn't be able to stand in the way of him courting her. Only the wolf would be a possible challenger and he could deal with the wolf. No, once this was over and done with he could start finding a way to ask her for permission to court her officially. He planned on doing this the traditional way, step by step.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
There was an odd tension in the camp that morning. It was like there was something in the air, something heavy and oppressing. It was making Kagome incredibly uncomfortable and everyone could sense it. Breakfast was silent as if everyone was afraid to speak just in case their words would let loose whatever was waiting. The silence had a kind of power, so that even when Sango slapped Miroku for once again grabbing her ass there was no accompanying yell of `Hentai!' as was the normal pattern. Kagome cleaned up the area after breakfast, the children all helping without being asked. They followed her to the stream to wash the dishes. When they arrived Kagome turned and looked at each of them before deciding on Yoshikazu.
 
“Yoshi, do you know what is going on?” she asked him softly, gently, but there was still an authority to her voice, a kind of `tell me now' demand.
 
The eldest and heir to the western lands looked at the woman he wished was his mother for a moment before looking away and muttering, “I don't know.”
 
“Yoshi, I know you have to know something. Look at me.” She knelt down in front of him and held his chin, forcing him to look into her eyes.
 
“I…I can't say, Kagome. Father will tell you soon, but until then, I'm not even sure. I have an idea, but it's just a guess. I don't want to worry you with something if I'm wrong. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.” He looked down as she released his chin, afraid to see a look of disappointment on her face.
 
“So you don't know for sure?”
 
“No,” he whispered. He was surprised when she reached forward and pulled him into a hug.
 
“It's okay. I'm not mad at you. I just want to know what's going on. I have this bad feeling, like something is going to happen. Don't worry about it, though. I'll just go ask your father.” Yoshi hugged the miko back tightly, enjoying the first real hug of his life not counting the quick good-bye she had given them all. Sure, Rin had hugged them, but their father was not a hugger, and the servants and nurses didn't dare. He slowly, reluctantly pulled away so she could get up. Once she was standing she put a hand on his head, causing him to look up towards her face. “Thanks, Yoshi. Really.”
 
They finished washing the dishes then, the curse of silence broken. They chatted and laughed during their walk back but silence reigned supreme as they watched Kagome walk with purpose to stand directly in front of Sesshoumaru.
 
She had to look up to see his face, to watch his eyes. Once she had eye contact, rather than speak aloud, she spoke to him through their connection. `Sesshoumaru, I want you to tell me what is going on. I know something is wrong. I can feel it.'
 
Sesshoumaru gazed down at the miko who looked as if she was attempting to stare him into submission. `It is not yet time, Kagome. You will be told soon. Besides, if I told you like this they would all become suspicious. You did not want them to know about this, did you?'
 
She suddenly realized that yes; she did want to keep this a secret. Glancing around, Kagome knew that she had succeeded in making them all suspicious. Everyone, including Jaken and both Ah and Un who had returned before dawn, was staring at them, curious as to why they had been just standing in front of each other and not speaking. Well, Ah Un was curious. Jaken was suspicious. Deciding to distract at least one person she turned to Inuyasha. “Hey, Inuyasha? I forgot yesterday, with all the talking and all, but I wanted to ask you if you would go through the well and grab the stuff I left there. I bought extra supplies and some surprises too, and its all in three big bags, well, sheets, but whatever. Could ya do that for me? They're kinda heavy.”
 
“Keh, sure, whatever. As long as there's ramen. Figures a weak human like you would…” He stopped halfway through his thought, turning to look at her. “Sorry, Kagome, I didn't mean…”
 
“It's okay Inuyasha, I know. Habit. I appreciate you stopping yourself. It shows me that you really are sorry and that you really do care about my feelings. And yes, there is a huge amount of ramen. Thanks. Just bring them here, alright?”
 
With a swift nod the hanyou then moved to where Miroku was sitting and pretending to meditate. He gave the monk a kick to get his attention and once he had it he said “Keep an eye on Kagome for me, will ya monk? I don't trust leaving him alone with her.”
 
“Inuyasha!” His ears flattened to his head at her tone which practically screamed his most feared three letter word.
 
“Alright, alright. I'm goin' already.” They all watched as he stomped away.
 
Once he was sure his brother was out of hearing range Sesshoumaru turned to Kagome. “You did not mention that the hanyou can also use the well.” He didn't have to continue. His lifted eyebrow said everything else.
 
“Didn't think it mattered, really. He's the only one it works for besides me. Kaede thinks it has something to do with the necklace. Something about the spell forming a connection between us.”
 
His lifted brow did not lower at her words. “Perhaps this Sesshoumaru should try. We do share a connection as well.” Silently he continued, `If we can share our thoughts then surely we are more connected than the subjugation beads would bond the hanyou to you.'
 
“I don't know, Sesshoumaru. You could try, but it's never worked for anyone but Inuyasha. Why would you want to go to my time anyway? Trust me, you would not enjoy it. Inuyasha says he can barely stand it and he has weaker senses than you do. The air is polluted and smells bad, it's loud and crowded. He is always complaining about it. It would be worse for you.”
 
“Perhaps, but this Sesshoumaru can endure far more than the hanyou can.” He had just finished speaking when Inuyasha dropped from the trees with a bag slung over his shoulder.
 
“You weren't kidding, Kagome. What'd you do? Buy the whole store? I can only bring one at a time because only one will fit!”
 
“I bought extra supplies. I forgot to tell you all but I'm going to stay here for a week and study and then I'm going back for a week to take all my final exams. Then school is over for summer break. I can stay a lot longer now between trips home. And when it is time for school to start again, Mama is going to sign me up for classes at home so I won't have to come back for tests every week or two. It's this cool thing they call correspondence courses. They send me the books and lessons and I can take the tests on the computer at home whenever I want.” She noticed everyone looking at her oddly. “It's the computer thing, right?” She watched the collective nod. “Ok, lets see, it's a very advanced way of sharing information instantly with others from anywhere as long as they have a computer with the internet too. The internet is like a big web that connects everything and where tons of information is available. It's really cool. I don't really know how to explain it any better though.”
 
“So after a week here to study and then a week at your home for those `test' thingies, then you won't have to go back for a while?” Inuyasha decided to cut through all the extra crap to get right down to the important stuff. Kagome nodded. “It's about fuckin' time! I always thought you were wasting your damn time!”
 
“Just go get the other bags, Inuyasha, please?” With a `keh' and some grumbling under his breath he took off again.
 
“As I was saying, this Sesshoumaru would like to see your time and your home. I would like to meet your family, as they are now pack as well.” If it was at all possible for him to make it through then it was his duty to ask the permission of her family, although he could wait and ask her father when they eventually found him. But then she hadn't seen him for years so it would probably be best to ask her mother or her grandfather. Hopefully they wouldn't be against a demon courting her. Most human families from his time, if not all, would forbid it, but her family is probably just as different as she is when it comes to human/demon relations. Hopefully.
 
“I really doubt it's gonna work but your welcome to try. It's not like your going to get hurt when you hit the bottom or anything. I can tell you about it though and about my family.” The way he looked at her said `It's not the same thing and you know it.' He was obviously determined to make it through the well. To tell the truth, the idea of Sesshoumaru visiting with her didn't seem as bad as it would have a few weeks ago. She trusted him now and she was sure he would behave. No killing or attacking things, you know, the basics of being a good houseguest, at least at Kagome's house. No one spoke as Inuyasha returned with the second bag and leapt away again.
 
Kagome decided she was done with the conversation so she went to the bags and knelt down, untying the corners of one of the sheet bundles. Opening it up she found some of what she was looking for. “Here, Miroku. I got some more books for you.” She held them up.
 
“Thank you very much Lady Kagome. I do enjoy reading about the philosophies of your time.” He took the books gently from her hold. “Thank you for thinking of me.”
 
Kagome didn't bother to look up as she was still searching through things. “Of course I thought of you, silly! Sango, I got a bunch of the bath stuff you like.”
 
Sango came over to take the offered bottles. “Thanks Kagome! I love this stuff. Did you…”
 
Kagome knew what Sango was asking. “Yeah, I got those too. No worries. Oh, Shippo, come here honey. All of you come over here. I got coloring books, drawing pads, and crayons for all of you. Shippo will show you how to use them.” She handed the pile of books to Shinji and the drawing pads to Hitoshi. Isamu, Yuudai, and Rin gathered up the boxes of crayons. After a chorus of thank you they all followed Shippo to one side of the clearing where he immediately began showing off his knowledge of exciting things from Kagome's time by demonstrating the amazing crayon! Of course they were all surprised and awed and in minutes they were all drawing or coloring. “That is about the best money I could spend right there. Keeps them busy and quiet when you need it.”
 
Sesshoumaru stood beside her looking down at the piles of items he could not identify. “You purchased extra of those `crayons and coloring books' for my pups and Rin?”
 
“Of course I did. I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away too long.” She shot him a grin and he, for a moment, fought the smile that wanted to rise to meet hers before he allowed it. Her smile widened at the sight of his. “I also got extra candy and pocky, Shippo's favorite, just for all of them. And…I even got…” She paused as she dug around, “something special…just for…you!” She finished as she found the wooden box and the ink refill packs. She held out the box which he just looked at. “Take it! I bought it for you! Open it and tell me if you like it. I really had no idea what to get you, so I took a guess.”
 
Sesshoumaru was still in shock. She not only bought gifts for his young, but for him as well. Kagome actually thought enough of him to purchase something special just for him? His heart was beating just a little faster as he accepted the box from her and opened it. It didn't matter what was inside. Just the fact that she wanted to give him something was enough. Once the box was opened he looked at the contents in confusion that he didn't want her to see. He didn't want her to know that he had no idea what the three things in the box were. He was suddenly drowning in insecurity. Kagome knew things that he did not, had things he didn't understand. It was something he had never experienced before. He was used to being well informed about everything and yet in this situation he had no way of learning, except for her.
 
Kagome looked up at his face for a moment before giggling. “I didn't figure you would know what they are. They're pens. Writing tools, like a quill and ink, only the ink is inside the pen and comes out when you move the tip along the paper. Shippo, bring me a drawing pad for a second,” she called out. Once Shippo arrived, followed, of course, by eight other curious children, she picked one of the pens up out of the box, uncapped it, and proceeded to demonstrate how to write with it.
 
“Wow! It's like magic!” Yuudai whispered, in awe of the wonder and glory of the pen.
 
“Not really, honey. It's just a newer design. This is an old style, too. When I'm doing my school work you can see the kind I use. So, what do you think Sesshoumaru?” She turned to look at him and froze. The way he was looking at her…it was like she was a goddess or something. Like she had just given a poor man a full five course meal, or something equally amazing and wonderful. Shaking off the feeling she spoke. “It's just a pen. No biggie. Hello? Sesshoumaru?” She snapped her fingers near his ear making him jump, bringing his focus back to her. “So, you like it?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru thanks you very much. It is an amazing gift.”
 
Right at that moment Inuyasha returned with the third and final bag. “What gift?” He looked at Kagome who was still holding the pen and paper. “What, a pen? Big deal! Ohhhhh, I get it. You had no idea what it was did you? She had to explain it! Ha! Well, that's just awesome! Fuckin' perfect! Damn, Kagome, I wish you had a camera with you! I want to remember this moment forever. I know all kinds of things that the Great Lord Sesshoumaru knows nothing about! Oh, like the camera for example. It's this really cool little box that flashes a bright light and makes a perfect instant portrait. And that's just one example! How does that feel, huh? How does it feel to know your worthless half-breed brother knows more about something than you do? More than you ever will!” The hanyou was really enjoying gloating as he could see his brother was uncomfortable with his lack of knowledge, just like he expected.
 
“Inuyasha, leave him alone! You didn't have the faintest idea what a pen was either when you first saw one! And I don't know how many things you broke because they surprised you. You were horrified of the camera the first time I used it! You thought it was going to steal your soul or something! And how many alarm clocks of mine have you smashed with your damn sword, hmmm? Yeah, that's what I thought. So just shut up and sit!”
 
The pups and Sesshoumaru looked on with wonder, the pups at the power of the subjugation spell and Sesshoumaru because she had defended him against his brother. He had never expected she would be on his side against the hanyou, not after they had been together for so long. He was snapped out of his musings by her sweet voice. “Ignore him. There are tons of things he still doesn't understand. So, do you think you can use them? I thought they might be easier than the whole quill and ink mess. The only downside to these is they eventually run out of ink, but I got you a bunch of refills too and I'll show you how to put them in when you need them.”
 
“It is a most thoughtful gift. I do an absurd amount of writing and you are right, bottles of ink can be a mess.” He glanced at the children who were suddenly looking everywhere but at them. “Especially with young ones in the palace.” They had, in fact, spilled several bottles of ink and ruined several irreplaceable rugs.
 
Kagome looked at him and then the children who were trying to be very nonchalant before laughing softly. “I imagine so.”
 
“Thank you. I very much appreciate that you thought of me.” She recapped the pen in her hand before giving it to him. He replaced it in the box and slid the box into the sleeve of his haori for safe keeping.
 
“Damn it Kagome! What the fuck was that for?” Inuyasha was finally up, and he was pissed off.
 
“It was because you were being an asshole! That's why! There is no reason for it. You and your brother need to get along and you can't do that if you're picking fights!”
 
“Speaking of fights, brother…” Inuyasha started. Sesshoumaru looked from Kagome to him and back. She was not going to like this.