InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Of Blood and Brothers ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 31 - Of Blood and Brothers 
 
      They had chosen a large open field near the village for the battle and everyone had gathered at the tree line to watch as was required. Even the children were to watch, which also pissed Kagome off. The idea of watching didn't bother the boys but Rin had been sheltered as much as possible from battle and bloodshed since she had been with Sesshoumaru, so she clung close to Sango who held her hand. All had been informed that no outside interference was allowed. No one was to try to stop the fight. No one was to yell things to or at the fighters. They were to watch quietly.  
 
      Kagome, who had mokomoko draped across her shoulders at the demon lord's request, walked to the center of the field with Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. It was so long that it reached the ground on both sides, brushing her feet with the ends. He had claimed to not want to leave it on the ground with his haori, obi and swords, but she had a feeling it was something more. He could have given it to Rin or any of his sons but instead it had found its resting place on her. She remembered for a moment the flight to his palace when it had wrapped around her waist, moving on its own. So far the thing hadn't moved but she had a sneaking suspicion it could. She had been too angry still to ask more about it, instead she just allowed him to put the thing on her. Just having it there seemed to calm her a bit. Something about the odd warmth of the thing and the softness of the fur was relaxing and made her feel safe and secure.  
 
      She looked over the two, both in only hakamas with the sun glistening off tan skin and perfectly sculpted muscles. The Tetsusaiga was still hanging at Inuyasha's side, as had been agreed on. She looked from one to the other as they took their places a few yards apart in the central area of the field. Kagome sent each a glare before walking a short distance away. She could not watch from a distance as the alpha female but instead had to be much closer. She was far enough away to not be caught in the middle but still close enough to watch every blow, hear every word, and see every drop of blood, which she wasn't looking forward to.  
 
      They stood facing each other awaiting the agreed upon signal from Kagome. All the others had already wished them both luck, an action which Kagome thought was pointless. Why offer each of them luck in a fight against each other? When Kagome reached her desired distance (well, not desired, but more like required) she turned back and looked at them both once more, taking a moment to study their glistening torsos which she knew were soon the be covered in cuts, bruises, and blood. She glanced for a moment at the tiny Kazue sitting at her feet. She lifted both of her arms as everyone, especially the competitors, watched. When her arms lowered again the battle had officially begun. 
 
      Neither moved. Instead each was staring intently at the other. The silence and stillness lasted a whole minute before Sesshoumaru decided to end it. “This Sesshoumaru will give you one last chance to submit and be spared the beating you are sure to receive, half-breed.” 
 
      Inuyasha snarled before rushing at Sesshoumaru. Everyone was startled as the taiyoukai seemed to disappear into thin air, causing Inuyasha to stumble when his attack had nothing to connect with. Whirling around, he found that his brother now stood where he had started from, essentially trading places.  
 
      “Pathetic. How do you expect to injure this Sesshoumaru if you cannot catch me?” Sesshoumaru knew just what he was doing. The angrier he made Inuyasha the less he thought and the more wild and unplanned his attacks were which tended to leave him open to attacks from his opponent.  
 
      It worked as Inuyasha leapt at him once again while screaming, “Shut the fuck up and fight asshole!” This time Sesshoumaru stayed perfectly still until the last second, which made the hanyou believe his attack was going to connect. When the demon lord moved to the side just enough to avoid Inuyasha's claws, the hanyou continued past him leaving his back open. In a move too fast to see Inuyasha now had four long, deep sizzling gashes running vertically the length of his back.   
 
      “First blood, brother,” Sesshoumaru said in an extraordinarily derogatory tone. Inuyasha twisted just in time to catch his own claws in Sesshoumaru's unprotected left side. He could not prevent the attack in time, as he was missing the arm on that side. 
 
      “Second blood, then, you bastard!” While Inuyasha was busy running his mouth Sesshoumaru closed in again and punched him directly in the chin, sending him flying up and away ending in a slide on his bleeding back through the grass.  
 
      Sesshoumaru was immediately on top of him, his right knee planted in the center of the downed half-demon's chest and his claws wrapped firmly around his throat. “Submit,” he snarled.  
 
      It looked for a moment as if Inuyasha was actually considering it which caused Sesshoumaru to unconsciously loosen the hold he had on his brother's throat. Not the best idea, as Inuyasha reached up and clawed with both hands from the upper thigh to the knee that was holding him down while twisting his entire body. He managed to escape the hold and moved to leap away, but before he had moved a foot, three new lines burned across his back, horizontally this time, caused by Sesshoumaru's youki whip.  
 
      At the searing pain Inuyasha turned to attack again and received several lashes across his chest. As he leapt back to avoid the whip again he yelled out, “Kagome, behind you!” Sesshoumaru had been facing away from Kagome and immediately, instinctively turned to move and protect her. As his sight reached her though, she was still standing alone and completely safe. He, however, was not; as Inuyasha had closed in and was yelling “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer” as his youki powered claw attack came right for him. Sesshoumaru managed to dodge the worst of it but still ended up with some nice deep gouges down his chest.  
 
      Kagome was watching them still as a statue, just her eyes following their movements. She watched as blood ran down Inuyasha's back in rivers and as Sesshoumaru's right pant leg turned from white to crimson. On and on they fought while she saw cut after cut, punch after punch, and heard taunt after taunt. The taunts were what were pissing her off the most. They were saying the most awful things to each other and Inuyasha had even used her as a distraction to get a hit in on Sesshoumaru. In her opinion that wasn't fighting fair, but it wasn't in the rules so she couldn't do anything about it. The clearing was filled with yells of Iron Reaver Soul Stealer and Blades of Blood. Sesshoumaru didn't find it necessary to call out his own attacks, merely sending poison blades across the open space without a word, the green blades clashing with the red blades sent by his younger brother.  
 
      She had started to cry without even noticing. She was too busy looking at them to notice that mokomoko wrapped around her as if feeling her distress, holding her gently. They were both covered head to toe in blood. Their hair was matted with blood, grass, and dirt. They sported cuts everywhere and it was hard to tell who was really winning. Inuyasha, though, appeared to be tiring faster than his brother and eventually he found himself pinned again, only this time his Sesshoumaru had a knee on either side of his chest and an arm pinned under each. The grip on his throat was unforgiving and no matter how much he struggled he could not get loose. He could feel the darkness closing in as the blood loss was catching up with the rapidly increasing need for oxygen.  
 
      Sesshoumaru had won. It was certain. But he did not want to win by making his brother pass out. No, he wanted his willing submission. He wanted to hear it. The hanyou needed to be forced to admit it aloud or he would never truly give up his alpha status in his own mind. He loosened his hand just enough to allow Inuyasha to pull in a gasping breath. “You know you will never win now. You have a choice.” His voice was low, and while all the demons around could hear, the humans, even Kagome who was much closer, could not. “You can either continue to struggle until you black out or you can willingly submit to me as your alpha.” Inuyasha tried to growl but it came out as an odd strangled sound instead. “Remember, little brother, your words to Kagome? You told her you would submit if you knew you could not win. Did you lie to her? Again? There is no way for you to escape now. You are too weak. You will not get up from here unless I let you and I will not let you until I hear you say it.” 
 
      Kagome was concerned. Inuyasha was still struggling but Sesshoumaru had him pinned. There was no way out. She could see that. But she couldn't hear what was being said. After a few moments that seemed to drag on forever Kagome began a slow approach.  
 
      Inuyasha did not want to do it. He didn't want to submit to his bastard of a brother. He would rather let the asshole strangle him within an inch of his life then say those words. But his brother reminded him of his words to Kagome. He knew she would be more upset than she surely already was if he was unconscious. Her words floated through his head, how worried she was whenever he was unconscious. How she feared he wouldn't wake up. No, he couldn't do that to her if he could prevent it. His rational mind had decided but his stubborn pride was forcing him to continue to struggle. His struggle ended, though, as she came into his field of vision. She looked worried and afraid. And she had tears streaming down her face. She was crying, whether for him or his brother he didn't know, but he didn't want to her cry anymore. He fell still beneath his brother.  
 
      Feeling Inuyasha finally stop struggling he spoke again. “Are you ready to submit now brother? There is no shame in doing so. You have fought well and caused as much injury to me as I have caused to you. You will make an excellent beta to this Sesshoumaru.” 
 
      Inuyasha's eyes widened. Beta? He was sure his brother intended to humiliate him by making him the pack omega. He could handle beta. He would have been beta if their pack had never separated to begin with. He moved his head as much as was possible in an attempt at a nod. Sesshoumaru loosened the hold on his throat to allow him to speak. Kagome was standing right beside them now, still crying silently. “I, Inuyasha, second son of the Great Inu no Taisho submit to you, Sesshoumaru, first son of the same as my alpha and leader.” His voice was soft and rough from the near strangling and exhaustion. When he had finished speaking Sesshoumaru released his throat completely, leaned down and placed a soft kiss to his brother's forehead.  
 
      “This Sesshoumaru accepts your submission and names you as my beta, second in command.” He then rolled to the side, lying on his back beside his brother, panting in his own pain and exhaustion.  
 
      Kagome stood above them, still taking in what had just occurred. The fight was over. It had been decided. She turned then to face the rest of the pack, lifting her voice so that it could be heard by all. “The battle has ended. Inuyasha has submitted and accepted Sesshoumaru as pack alpha. Sesshoumaru has named Inuyasha his beta and second in command.” She then looked back at the two, wiping her tears from her face. Her voice was lower now, but all with demon senses could hear. “I hope you both are happy. You can take care of own wounds. I will not treat them and I will not heal them. As far as I am concerned, you can both go to hell!” With that said she turned on her heel and walked away with Kazue hot on her heels. She left behind a stunned alpha and beta, seven shocked young inus, one not so shocked kitsune and a fire cat too. Miroku, Sango, and Rin looked on, confused, as they had not heard her words but only saw her walk away. Within moments, everyone surrounded the two who still lay side by side on the ground. 
 
      “Shit,” was all Inuyasha could manage to say. Jaken was squawking over the condition of his great lord, and Rin looked close to tears. Ah Un and Kirara in her battle form approached and Miroku and Sango helped Inuyasha onto Kirara's back as Sesshoumaru forced himself to his feet to mount Ah Un. They all returned to their camp hoping to find Kagome there. She wasn't. Both brothers needed their wounds treated but they needed them cleaned first, so they were taken to the hot springs where the pups and Miroku helped them both to undress and enter the spring. Once they were settled into the water and sitting comfortably they ordered everyone else away and sat in silence, soaking the dirt and dried blood from their sore and exhausted forms.  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      He hadn't been anywhere in the west, so Kagura finally decided she would go check with the hanyou's group. Inuyasha might know something. Even thought the brothers didn't get along they still ran into each other often enough that he might have some idea. Now she needed to figure out how she would get a chance to talk before the idiot attacked her. Maybe she would be lucky enough to find the miko alone. Then maybe she would get a chance to talk. The girl wasn't as quick to attack as the short-tempered inu hanyou. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Back at the camp there was a small crowd talking over what had happened. Shinji had his arms around Rin as they explained to her that both Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha would be just fine. That neither had any serious wounds and they would heal themselves in no time. Once she seemed calmer they all began to discuss the battle. While Yoshi had declared his surprise at Kagome's words and departure, Hitoshi seemed to understand. He knew she cared about both of them and that she would return, and probably sooner rather than later. They had experienced her feelings during the fight, after all, and she had been more frightened and worried than angry. No, he was sure that when she said what she did before she left she was trying her best not to break down. He figured that it was easier to be angry than deal with the rush of feelings she had experienced, and they had felt through the marks, as she stood looking down at the two covered in dirt and blood, brothers who had done that to each other and forced her to watch.  
 
      Akihiro agreed immediately with his brother's appraisal of the situation. Even now they could feel her and she wasn't angry at all. She was upset, very very upset. After shooting a glance at Miroku and Sango who were sitting near the fire sharing their own opinions on the battle, and then to Jaken who was pacing and muttering to himself, they decided. They stood silently and crept away in search of their miko. She needed someone to lean on and cry and they all were more than happy to be there for her. It didn't take them long at all to locate her. She was sitting on a large rock deep in the forest, the same one, actually, as when Inuyasha had found her at earlier. She had her face in her hands and she was crying, her shoulders shaking with the power of her sobs.  
 
      No one was quite sure how to approach and it was Rin who finally moved in close. “Kagome? Rin is worried. We are all worried. Are you okay?” Kagome looked up then and saw them all surrounding her. She opened her arms and pulled Rin in close. Mokomoko unwrapped from Kagome a little and wrapped around Rin's waist as well. Rin wasn't surprised. She had known for a long time that her lord's furry thing could move.  
 
      “I…I just couldn't…I couldn't…they just looked so…” They all moved in closer, Yoshi running his hands through her hair while Shinji and Hitoshi both rubbed her back. Kazue leapt onto her shoulder, sitting slightly on the white fur still covering her. Yuudai and Isamu sat one next to each of her legs, wrapping their arms around her calves and resting their heads on the sides of her knees. Shippo crawled into her lap next to Rin who was still in her embrace. Hisoka rubbed her right arm and Akihiro spoke.  
 
      “We all understand, Kagome. It was hard for you to watch and seeing them injured and filthy was too much for you. I'm sure they understand too.” 
 
      It would have been quite a sight to any outsiders. Kagome sat with a long length of white fur wrapped around her and a little girl and a small kitsune in her arms. She had a little demon boy wrapped around each leg, and three standing on one side of her and two more on the other, along with a tiny one on her shoulder. Only one was not touching her, as the others rubbed her back, arm, and hair, each in their own attempt to calm her and make her feel better. Her sadness hurt them all. 
 
      Kagome sniffled and her crying slowed. “But they needed me. They needed me then and I left them. How could they forgive me for that?” 
 
      “Trust me, Kagome. They understand. They both knew you would be angry but there was no other way to solve the problem.” 
 
      She looked up then. “Are they alright? Are the others taking care of them?” She reached out her left arm and took Akihiro's hand, completing the image as she was now connected to each of them.  
 
      “They wished to go to the hot springs to clean their wounds. We helped them in but then they sent us away.” 
 
      “You mean they're alone? And injured? In the hot spring? How do they expect to clean their wounds? They're absolutely covered in them and I don't think either of them is strong enough right now do it themselves, let alone help each other. No, I'm going to go help them.” Taking the hint everyone released their holds on her, mokomoko releasing its hold on Rin but still holding snugly to Kagome, and allowed her to stand. “Take me back to camp so I can get my things please?” They led her silently through the trees, knowing she still needed to think and just happy she was no longer sending out feelings of despair. Akihiro never released her hand, and instead Hisoka had taken hold of the other.  
 
      When they reached the camp Sango and Miroku moved to talk to her but she simply lifted a hand and Yoshi and Shin moved to lead the two back to their seats at the fire. Kagome gathered her old bathing suit, as her new one was still in her time, along with her antibacterial soap, shampoo and conditioner, a few towels, a wash cloth, and a fully stocked first aid kit with extra bandages. A lot of extra bandages. Miroku and Sango looked on, having been told what she intended to do. Jaken started to protest, having heard as well, but his noise was cut off in his throat with the glare he got from his lord's eldest son. Young Lord Yoshikazu, in his opinion, was quickly becoming just as intimidating as his father.  
 
      Kagome moved behind a bush and changed quickly, throwing an oversized t-shirt on over the faded red two-piece before replacing the fur and returning and picking up the smaller bag she had filled with her supplies. The boys looked at each other, deciding without words that Shippo and Akihiro would take her to the spring. Everyone else settled down for the wait, deciding to play with the amazing `crayon' things their Kagome had brought for them.  
 
      No one spoke during the short walk and when they had reached the edge of the brush that surrounded the hot spring Akihiro and Shippo left her with Kazue. She hesitated for a minute before stepping down the short path to the edge of the warm water. When she reached the edge she put down her bag on a convenient rock ledge, unwrapped mokomoko, and slipped into the water between two very startled brothers.