InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Kagome Gets a Clue, Inuyasha Learns a Lesson ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 34 - Kagome Gets a Clue, Inuyasha Learns a Lesson
 
Author's note: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARRYELLE!!!!
 
 
“Oh, thank goodness my Lord! This Jaken was so worried for you, alone with the miko! And then these idiots forced me to remain here with Rin and the kit or I would have rushed to your aide Mi'Lord!”
 
Sesshoumaru looked down at the fully prostrated toad while trying his best to not imaging him naked. He didn't think he could handle that again. Holding back a shudder at the very thought he spoke. “And what exactly, Jaken, did you worry the miko would do to this Sesshoumaru?” His face held a smirk then. Not only had he succeeded and Jaken was in fact wearing all his clothing but he was already making a fool of himself and they had just returned. The toad just didn't get it. He could not see past his illusions of the demon lord to see the actual demon himself. While he could think of several things he wouldn't mind the miko doing to him, he was certain that none of them were quite what Jaken was so worked up about.
 
“Mi'Lord, could this humble Jaken speak to you in private?” His head lifted and huge yellow eyes scanned the camp, glaring at everyone but his young Lords. He didn't dare. “It is very important, Lord Sesshoumaru.”
 
The demon lord looked to the miko who merely shrugged at him. `Why not humor him and see what he wants? It can't hurt.' Sesshoumaru nodded at her before his gaze returned to the still kneeling demon, if you can even call him that.
 
“Fine. We will speak in private.” He walked away, leaving Jaken to jump up and race after him. His little legs could barely keep up with the slow but long strides of the inu taiyoukai. When they had reached an area a fair distance away from the camp he stopped. Jaken nearly ran into the backs of his legs before realizing he had stopped walking. “What is it Jaken? What is so important that we had to speak alone?”
 
“My Lord! I am certain the miko is up to something!”
 
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes. “Up to something?” he repeated.
 
“Yes my Lord. This Jaken noticed it as soon as she had arrived at the palace. I believe that she may have placed a spell on you.” The little kappa nearly soiled his robes at the snarl his Lord released. Perhaps alone was not the best choice.
 
“You believe the miko has placed…a spell…on this Sesshoumaru?” He fought the urge to kick the annoying little servant across the entire island of Japan. “And why do you believe such foolishness?”
 
“Lord…Sesshoumaru?” Jaken was suddenly realizing the stupidity of his words. If she had placed a spell then his Lord would not know and could possibly be forced to injure his person in response to his words. And if she hadn't, which he had never even considered, then he would be questioning his Lord's strength and power to suggest such a thing.
 
“Answer Jaken. I will not repeat myself.”
 
“Well, you see… this lowly Jaken has noticed odd behavior from My Lord since she arrived. My Lord, you would never have slept beside a human by choice! And to join the hanyou's pack? Unimaginable!” Jaken had forgotten his fear now that he found the opportunity to vent his worries. Once he opened his mouth his thoughts spilled out without further thought to their implications. “The Lord Sesshoumaru I know would have killed the miko for daring to defile the pure blood of his pups with her mark! And he would never allow her to touch him, let alone treat wounds!”
 
“Is that so? Jaken, I will only say this once. The miko has not placed a spell upon this Sesshoumaru. You will cease your disrespect of Kagome this instant. She is the alpha female and you will treat her as such. Believe it or not Jaken, but this Sesshoumaru is planning on asking the miko to be his mate, so you would do well to get accustomed to her presence.”
 
Jaken gasped loudly at this. “But My Lord?”
 
Sesshoumaru stopped his words by raising his hand. “The miko will be your Lady. Lady of the Western Lands, mate to this Sesshoumaru. She is to be respected. You will treat her as you do me or you will pay the consequences. I do not want to hear this foolishness again.”
 
Jaken looked near tears. “Yes, Mi'Lord,” he whispered. How was this possible? How had this happened? His Great Lord Sesshoumaru and a human miko? How had it come to this?
 
“Is it really that bad, Jaken?” Sesshoumaru looked down at the kappa that had followed him loyally for years. Though the little creature could be annoying, was annoying most of the time really, he was useful and had served him well. He didn't want to have to kill him, but if he kept insulting Kagome he would have to.
 
Jaken looked at him in shock. Did his lord just ask him a question as if he actually cared about the answer? Sesshoumaru was looking back down at him, waiting for a response.
 
“No, Mi'lord. I…I suppose not. But how, how did this happen?” He spoke low, suddenly afraid he was out of line, as if he hadn't been for the last few minutes already.
 
“This Sesshoumaru's beast chose long ago and I agree. Only recently have I accepted it and begun to listen to him, as well as remember the words of my mother. Jaken, I know this seems odd to you but this Sesshoumaru has loved the miko for some time now and I would appreciate your help and support. My sons, Rin, and the kit all approve and plan on assisting me. You have been with me for a long time now. I would hate to have to kill you.” Jaken had been looking at him with his eyes nearly falling out but as he said his last words the Lord let a smirk appear on his face and the toad fell over in shock, fainting. Sesshoumaru only chuckled and sat down to wait.
 
~
 
After the demon lord left the area Sango came over to sit beside Kagome who was once again digging through the enormous bags of supplies. “Kagome?”
 
“Yeah, Sango? What's up?”
 
“Is something going on with you and Sesshoumaru?” she whispered while glancing around the camp hoping no one had heard.
 
“Sango! Shhh! Demon ears!”
 
“Sorry, I just haven't gotten to talk to you for a long time now and weird stuff keeps happening.”
 
“Tell me about it! First he actually asks me for help and it just gets weirder from there. You wanna take a walk?” Sango nodded and they rose and walked off in the opposite direction than Sesshoumaru and Jaken had gone in. Kazue and Kirara followed a little ways behind them, side by side. Kagome glanced back before giggling.
 
“What's so funny, Kagome?”
 
“It's just…cats and dogs! I guess they're wrong when they say cats and dogs don't get along. Look!” She pointed behind her and Sango looked before smiling.
 
“Yeah, I guess you're right. It looks like Kirara made a friend. Now spill! Tell me everything.”
 
“Hang on a second.” Kagome extended her senses and said a “sit” just for good measure. When no crash or cursing was heard and she was sure they were alone she began. “You remember how I said we could share thoughts while I was unconscious. We shared dreams too. Two actually. The first one, I was sure I was going to die and made him promise to take messages to all of you. He nearly begged me to fight and hold on. Then the next dream, he kissed me!”
 
Sango gasped. “He what?”
 
“I know! And then I woke up and I was in a big fancy bed with all the boys in their dog forms lying in front of me and an arm wrapped around me.”
 
“No! And it was him?”
 
“Yeah, he had been sleeping holding me. Buried his nose in my hair and everything. Then he basically flirted with me the whole time I was there! And he's so different, Sango. He isn't anything like I thought! He's sweet and funny and playful! And quick too. He has a comeback for everything! When I was in his study looking at a map he leaned into me and licked my ear! Can you believe it?” She looked and Sango who merely shook her head. “And then after the fight with Kouga his blood beast let me treat his arm and then I held him and actually touched his cheek and ear. His skin is soft!”
 
“You did what? Oh, my Kami, Kagome! He could have killed you!”
 
“I don't know how, but I knew he wouldn't hurt me. No, he actually purred! And when his beast calmed and he regained control he wanted me to continue! He wanted me to pet him!” They both broke down into giggles. “And then at the spring he was flirting with me again. And then of course Kagura shows up while my head is between his legs.”
 
“Kagome!”
 
“No! No! I was stitching the big gouges that Inuyasha left on both sides of his thighs. He really sunk his claws in deep. Of course, she thought that too, and then Inuyasha and the boys burst in and he thinks the same thing too! It was so embarrassing! And what's worse, I'm going to have to check tomorrow and probably take out the stitches. And they go all the way up.” Kagome watched as Sango turned red. “I don't know what is up with him, really. I mean, why in the world would he flirt with me?”
~
 
Kouga had finally finished explaining the situation to Ginta and Hakaku. It had taken him a while to get them to stop laughing when he first told them his suspicion of Sesshoumaru wanting his Kagome. When they had finally run out of breath he told them why he suspected it and eventually they began to agree that perhaps Lord Sesshoumaru did hold some interest in their pack sister, as unlikely as it sounded. Hakaku secretly hoped Sesshoumaru really did like the miko. Perhaps then Kouga would give up his useless obsession with her and move on. No matter how many times Kagome tried to tell him she wasn't interested he never got it. Kouga was his friend, of course, but sometimes he couldn't believe how dense the wolf prince was.
 
When Kouga then asked them to help him come up with some way to stay close and protect his claim both wolves were hesitant. The Western Lord was powerful and vicious. He would not hesitate to kill Kouga if he interfered. But Kouga was their alpha so they couldn't very well tell him it wasn't a good idea. After some thinking Ginta finally spoke. “We could always travel with her group. Inuyasha might not like it but Kagome would surely let us.”
 
“We could say that we want to be there when they fight Naraku. And offer help in collecting the shards. That might convince the hanyou. He is always talking about the jewel,” Hakaku added.
 
Kouga thought it over for a moment. “That's a perfect idea. We'll take some of the pack to help in the fighting and to protect Kagome. I'll have to leave someone in charge. I assume you two would want to come with me?”
 
“It would be nice to spend some time with sister,” Hakaku said and Ginta nodded his agreement.
 
“Then it's settled. We'll get everything set up for the pack while were gone and then we will travel with my Kagome until either Naraku is defeated or she agrees to come back to the den with us and be my mate.”
 
The two wolf demons looked at each other, both shaking their heads. Kouga would never learn.
 
~
 
When Jaken finally began to stir Sesshoumaru rose. “Come along, Jaken. We will return to camp. But first this Sesshoumaru wishes to test something.”
 
Jaken jumped to his feet. “Mi'Lord? You didn't leave me?”
 
The demon lord let out a sigh. “No, Jaken, I did not leave you. Am I right to believe that the issue is settled permanently?”
 
“Yes, Mi'Lord. Of course, Mi'Lord. This lowly Jaken will treat the miko Kagome with respect as she is as deserving of it as yourself.”
 
“Good. Now let's go. We have wasted enough time.” Sesshoumaru turned and walked away, Jaken following close behind.
 
He knew not to speak. His lord appeared to be deep in thought. He was surprised, though, when they stopped in the clearing that held the well they had camped near. He looked at Sesshoumaru in confusion but was shocked when the taiyoukai walked straight to the well and jumped in. “My Lord! My Lord, are you alright?” The little toad looked over the edge, being careful not to fall in himself.
 
Sesshoumaru simply stood at the bottom of the well looking up. When he heard Jaken's calls he was sure nothing had happened. Well, something had happened, but not what he had intended. The well refused to work for him despite his connection with Kagome. She had been right. When he landed, though, pain had shot through his right leg and he could already feel the warmth of his blood seeping into the carefully placed bandages. He had reopened his wounds, probably tearing the stitches she had worked so diligently on for him. She was definitely going to be upset if she found out but he couldn't think of a way to avoid it. She had already told him she would check them tomorrow so he could not hide them from her. Hearing Jaken getting more and more upset he leapt back out of the well, landing beside his faithful retainer.
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru! You are safe! This Jaken was worried! Why did you jump into a well?”
 
Sesshoumaru merely looked at the toad. He didn't intend on answering his question. “We will return to camp now.” He then turned and walked away, doing his best to ignore the now searing pain in his leg. He had most definitely caused more damage.
 
~
 
Sango looked over at Kagome. Sometimes her friend was just too naïve for her own good. “I don't know, Kagome. Maybe he likes you?”
 
“No, it can't be that. He doesn't like humans, remember?”
 
“Well I guess you haven't seen that way he looks at you then, or you wouldn't think that. He must not hate humans too much since he insisted on joining our group. And the mark, too. Marking you was no small deal. It's forever and he chose to do it anyway. And do you know why he put it there?”
 
“I don't know. I asked where and he told me. Why? Does it matter?”
 
“It's just…it's not a normal place is all. Maybe he wanted to put his mark near your heart?”
 
“You really think so?”
 
“Kagome, some of the looks he gives you, I'm surprised you haven't burst into flames from the heat! Oh, and what was going on earlier when he was explaining the battle? Why did he stop talking like that? And what was Inuyasha growling at?”
 
It was Kagome's turn to blush. “Well, you see…he had his hand over my mouth, right. And I wanted him to let go, so I licked him.” Sango shot her a look. “And he made the funniest face, so I did it again. And then when he was picking on Inuyasha I did it again, only more. And apparently…he liked it. A lot.”
 
“You mean?” Sango was blushing again. “Yeah, and I guess Inuyasha sensed it. When he growled he startled me which seemed to break Sesshoumaru out of his little trance and that's when I noticed. I blocked it so you guys couldn't see. It was so funny!”
 
“Yeah, I think it's pretty clear then. He likes you. If his beast allowed you to touch him like that, that means his beast approves of you. In lots of demons it is the blood beast who chooses the mate. I think maybe his beast picked you.”
 
“He did say that his beast has a soft spot for me.” Kagome paused for a minute. “And that he did too.” The last was a whisper as she finally added it all up. “Oh My Kami! He likes me? Oh, Inuyasha is gonna flip!”
 
“And that explains why he attacked Kouga too. The beast saw Kouga as a competitor, someone who might challenge his claim.”
 
“Claim?” Kagome was confused, not knowing much about demon traditions and nothing about demon mating.
 
“Kouga claims you as his woman. If Sesshoumaru wants you too, then either you reject one and choose the other or they fight. A courting challenge. I bet he's trying to figure out how to ask you.”
 
“Ask me?”
 
“If he can court you. He seems like the formal type. I bet he would follow all the steps. He is a Lord after all. Oh, Kagome! If you mate him you would be Lady of the West!”
 
“Oh, Kami. And his pups wanted to call me their Mother. And Shippo is suddenly getting along with them all. When we were at the palace there was a definite tension between them. They're all in on it, aren't they?”
 
“Probably.” Sango watched as Kagome sat down on the forest floor. “What's wrong, Kagome? Do you not like him?”
 
“I don't know. I…I don't really know him. It's just too weird. To think that the same demon who tried to melt me wants to mate me? I'm going to have to think about this.”
 
~
 
“Inuyasha, it seems that you are upset about something. Did Sango and I miss something at the spring?”
 
“Keh! Leave it alone Monk!”
 
“So something did happen. Come on, spill. You know right now Kagome is telling Sango, and my dear Sango will surely tell me so you might as well save her the trouble.”
 
Inuyasha growled. “She was alone with him naked!”
 
Miroku's eyes got wider. “Kagome was naked?”
 
“No, you damn pervert. Sesshoumaru was naked, sitting on the edge of the spring with one leg up on the side and Kagome was in the water between his damn legs!”
 
The lecherous grin that had already been present on the monk's face grew wider. “Was she now? And what, exactly, was she doing there? Spare me no detail!”
 
“I don't fucking know. (groooowwwwlll) Her and that bastard sent me away. I didn't want to leave her alone with him but I didn't have a fucking choice. And then I rush in to save the wench and see her there! She said she was stitching his wounds but I don't know if I believe her. She looked awfully embarrassed, guilty even, like she'd been caught.”
 
“Inuyasha, I do not believe that Kagome would do such a thing. Perhaps she was merely embarrassed because of what it may have looked like?” Miroku, no matter how dirty his mind, could not imagine Kagome in such a compromising position. And he had really tried hard too!
 
“I suppose, but damnit, I know he's up to something! He's been sniffing around her since she showed up and I don't like it!”
 
“Why does it bother you so much, Inuyasha? You have made it perfectly clear time and again that you are not interested in Kagome that way. Would it be so bad if your brother was? Surely he would be a better choice than Kouga. I personally cannot think of another so well suited to keep her safe and happy. He would definitely be able to provide for her and I do not believe that he would hurt her. He is an honorable demon after all.”
 
“Did Sango finally break your brain or something? He's fucking dangerous. And I don't care what he says. Pack means nothing to him. Honor is a joke to that asshole. He would drop her in a second if something better showed up or if things got tough. And why would he want her anyway? No, there has to be something he wants, and it's not her. The bastard has probably decided he wants the fucking jewel!” Inuyasha had once again allowed his mouth to get him into trouble. Sesshoumaru had approached while he had been ranting to Miroku, completely oblivious to his surroundings. The monk, though, had spotted the demon lord now standing directly behind his hanyou friend. Apparently it showed on his face as Inuyasha turned slowly, finding his brother looking at him with a dangerous gleam in his eyes.
 
Sesshoumaru had heard everything since Inuyasha declared that he had been `sniffing around' the miko, and he was not at all pleased. “Pack, brother, and honor both mean a great deal to this Sesshoumaru, and I have no need or use for the jewel you covet so. There are obviously some things you have yet to learn. Paying attention to your surroundings is definitely one of them.”
 
Inuyasha stood and faced his elder brother. “Keh. Fuck off!”
 
“But I have yet to finish, Inuyasha. And you will listen. Another thing you would do well to learn is that your friend the monk is a much better judge of character than yourself. This Sesshoumaru would never `drop' the miko. And do you think so little of her that she would not be worthy of my attentions? She is a beautiful woman and powerful as well. But since you do not have an interest in her then you will keep your comments to yourself about my own. I do, in fact, desire the miko and I intend to ask for her permission to court her. If you cannot control your mouth, perhaps you should leave until you can.”
 
“You can't make me leave! You promised, you bastard! Or does your word mean nothing too?” Inuyasha quickly found himself on the receiving end of a vicious punch to the left side of his face. He was pretty sure he felt something break and as he tried to open his mouth his suspicion was confirmed. It wasn't going to happen. Something was definitely broken, and it hurt like a bitch too!
 
“I did not order you to leave, merely gave you the option so that you would have time to learn to keep your mouth shut. But perhaps a broken jaw will be more effective. You do seem to understand actions much better than words.” He watched as Inuyasha leapt into a tree while holding the side of his face in his hand. He would heal in a day or two, but the lesson would remain much longer. “Monk?” Miroku looked up at him from his seated position. “Where are the women?”
 
Miroku hesitated for a moment before speaking. “The…they went…for a walk. Girl talk, I believe. Both Kirara and Kazue accompanied them and I expect they should return shortly.” He paused while trying to get up the nerve to ask his question. “Lord Sesshoumaru…do you really intend to court Kagome?”
 
He looked down at the monk. “Yes, I do. And you would do well to not mention it to her or the slayer.”
 
“Y…yes. Of course!” Miroku knew better than to cross the demon lord. If he had been on the receiving end of that punch he would be unconscious and unable to eat for weeks. Not his idea of fun. He rather liked eating and being able to talk as well.
 
~
 
“Kagome... I just thought of something. When you said you don't really know him. But you do, too. You've known him for almost two years. Think about it. He could be considered known but unknown.”
 
Kagome's eyes got wider. “You don't think…?”
 
“I most certainly think. And if he has had feelings for you all this time but never acted on it `til recently he would have accepted his place!”
 
“Oh, no. You might be right. Sango, you can't tell anyone this, okay? I don't care what Miroku does to you. No telling. I'm going to have to talk to Kaede.”
 
“You know, Miroku could probably help you, with the prophecy I mean. He could help you figure out if it fits.”
 
“Shit!”
 
“What? What's wrong?”
 
“I just remembered something my grandfather said. He wouldn't tell me who Sakimitama was but he said to keep an open mind…and that…first impressions aren't everything. I think you're right Sango. I wonder if he figured it out too.”
 
“So what are you going to do?”
 
“Nothing. I'm not going to do anything. I mean, I don't really know how I feel about him, and what if we're wrong and I said or did something? No, I'm just gonna wait and see.”
 
“Alright. But I still think I'm right.” Kirara mewed her agreement and Kazue let out a little woof.
 
Kagome looked at Kazue for a moment. `What do you know, Kazue?'
 
`Nothing, my lady. Nothing more than you do for sure.'
 
`But what do you think?'
 
`I think your friend is very observant.'
 
“Kagome?” Kagome jumped and looked back to Sango.
 
“What?”
 
“Are you okay? You were just staring at Kazue and she was staring back. It was odd. Come to think of it, you've done it before. With Sesshoumaru too.”
 
Kagome rushed to change the subject. “Come on Sango, we should head back. It's getting dark and I'm sure Inuyasha is starving by now.” Sango gave her a suspicious look but let it go and they walked back to the camp in silence.
 
When they arrived Kagome smiled at Miroku and the children. Sesshoumaru noticed, though, that she avoided making eye contact with him. He could feel that she was nervous and confused, but about what? What was bothering her so?
 
She plucked some ramen out of the bundles and started a pot of water to boil over the fire. “Inuyasha? Are you hungry?” She called out to him, knowing he was in the trees above her head. He didn't answer. “Inuyasha, come down here, please?” Still no response. “Come on, don't make me say it! You're already injured enough as it is!” That got him and he leapt down from his perch, landing in front of her. She took one look at him and gasped. The whole left side of his face was swollen and purple. “What happened to you?!?! Oh, my kami, come here. Let me get a cold pack for you.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him along, not giving him a choice. Once she found the instant cold packs she had packed she broke the little pack inside and kneaded it until it was ready. Grabbing a washcloth she wrapped it and held it gently to the side of his face. He grimaced as it touched him. “What happened, Inuyasha? Who did this to you?”
 
Everyone in the clearing had been silent, everyone but Sango knowing exactly what had happened to the hanyou. Sesshoumaru had not expected her to get so upset, but then he knew she cared about his brother. Perhaps he shouldn't have hit him so hard. Inuyasha looked into Kagome's eyes, begging her to understand that he couldn't open his mouth to answer her. Instead he turned and glared at his elder brother.
 
“Sesshoumaru? Did you do this to him?” Her voice was disbelieving and he didn't know quite how to answer her. If he simply said yes he doubted she would allow him to explain, but then how exactly could he explain anyway without telling her of his intent. She watched as he hesitated. “You did, didn't you?” She turned away, no longer in the mood to look at him. All feelings of nervousness and confusion had moved to anger. “Sango, can you finish the ramen for me?” Sango nodded and Kagome led Inuyasha to where her sleeping bag was laid out. She sat and he followed before she encouraged him to lay his head in her lap so she could keep the cold pack in place.
 
Sesshoumaru started to move towards her but the way she looked at him stopped him in his tracks. `I don't even want to know. I don't care what your reason is. This is just too much. You broke his jaw!' He backed away and sat across the clearing, watching her intently as she cared for his brother. Inuyasha had a smug look on his face, or at least as smug as he could muster with a busted jaw. Even if he did end up hurt, he had hurt his brother worse. Kagome was damn good at holding a grudge.
 
 
 
Author's Notes
 
Jean - I don't know. Even if Miroku had seen Kagura, she's tricked them before, so I'm not sure they would believe her even with him seeing her aura. Naraku is rather good at faking things afterall.
 
Syoze - Sesshoumaru would never had allowed Kagome and Kagura to fight. He's way too protective for that, as you will discover soon enough.
 
Ladydot - I liked the song, thanks!
 
Ethereal Siren - Glad you enjoyed the near drowning. I hope you managed to eat your burrito when you were done reading. Can't waste a burrito. Sacrilege I tell you.
 
Thanks to everyone else who reviewed!
 
Check out the image Calix of Heaven did for me. It's of Kagome's mother's gazing crystal, and I think she did an awesome job. Mediaminer readers can find it linked to the story!
 
And Arryelle, for your birthday you get an extra special present! A double chapter day!