InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shippo and the Magic Wand ❯ Interlude - Kikyo ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-
Shippo and the Magic Wand
By Alesyira
-
Canon Universe, Continuation
-
Summary: A sacred spring in the middle of a ruined temple holds the key to Kikyo's happiness.
-
Rating: G
-
Author's Note: Interlude, third-person POV. This is a new addition, written to fill in some facts that are missing from the main part of the story. Rather than posting drabbles on the side, I just figured I could insert a few new sections. ;)
-
 
-
-
Interlude - Kikyo
-
-
 
 
Some time ago...
 
A single brown bird twittered cheerfully on a blossoming branch overhanging a rarely tread pathway. The crunch of sandals against smooth pebbles disturbed its song, and it gazed curiously down upon the young woman that passed beneath its perch. The ruins were overgrown with vines, and the carefully hewn columns of red-veined stone had cracked in some places. She passed between two of the tallest, reaching out to trail her fingers along the cool surface with a measure of reverence. Her soul ached with the burning anger of vengeance, but in these rare moments of peace, she could almost hear the soothing song of inner balance.
 
 
She stood in the entryway to a once-great temple lined with weeds and shattered stonework. The temple appeared to have been ravaged by war long ago, torn asunder in various parts and left to the destruction offered by the passage of time. The atmosphere seemed grey and subdued, and life seemed almost frozen in time, with only the mutters of long-forgotten ghosts to fill its empty halls.
 
 
The stale air shivered in the chilled wake of those wandering spirits, but the energy that had accumulated over time left random blossoms of warmth in the air. These were sensations that Kikyo could not feel or appreciate, but the fragmented pieces of her stolen soul cried out to those that wandered the crumbling halls, asking for something it could not have - peace.
 
 
The circular arrangement of stone columns seemed to center upon a single depressed portion of the ruins. Her footsteps echoed dully as she stepped carefully down the broken stairs and over shattered, unrecognizable statues. The burbling of water met her ears within a few moments, and she felt compelled to stop before her destination came into sight. 'This is what I have traveled so far to find...'
 
 
Awe overwhelmed her as she approached the fountain. Rumored to be mystical in nature and capable of granting any wish -at a price- it was one of the most sought-after locations in all the southern isles. Most never found it, and the few that may have stumbled upon the ancient ruins were never seen again.
 
 
She carefully approached the motionless center of the depression and stared down into the bottomless depths of the dried fountain. It burbled noisily with unseen water as though tempting passers-by to approach and take a sip.
 
 
She knelt upon the smooth stones and bowed, draping her hands into the empty darkness. "Honored spirits, heed my call." Her voice was cool and indifferent, but the ghost of nervous anxiety floated through her mind as a reminder of the humanity she'd left behind with her death.
 
 
"Consumer of stolen souls, what is it that you desire?" Dozens of voices echoed throughout the ruins, from the depths of the dried fount, to the countless columns in various states of ruin.
 
 
She closed her eyes and tried to remember the exact wording of her request. Her wish had been carefully thought out, for the price in exchange was whispered to be very steep, and one misspoken word could prove fatal to someone undeserving...
 
 
The spirits spoke again before her choice had been uttered aloud. "Your wish has pleased us, great priestess."
 
 
Her eyes flew open, and she might have gasped in surprise --had she reason to breathe. "The price?" she whispered, already feeling spiritual warmth flooding her limbs. She could not wish for life, for her time to live had long passed, nor could she ask for a soul that rightfully belonged to another--
 
 
"In ten summers' time, you shall return to this place and your spirit will be bound to our temple. Your compassion, strength, and skills are needed here." Kikyo nodded once in understanding and acceptance, and her eyes closed once again as she awaited the gift of the sacred spring.
 
 
Her exhalation was warm with renewed strength, and she felt a strange tickle of sensation sweep across her false skin as several formless beings slipped around her shoulders and waist. She watched in slight curiosity as they settled against her robes and dissolved into an evaporating mist.
 
 
The change was immediately apparent as she felt the cool breeze lift her hair and the warmth of the afternoon sun on her face. The unnatural burn of her anger and hate began to fade as though doused with the trickling water now visible within the ancient fountain. It tickled her outstretched fingertips with possibilities and purpose, and she rose on steady feet to cast her gaze upon the dozens of spirits standing around her on the shining stairs. The ruins now appeared as perfect and whole as it had before the wars, ethereal and shining and flawless in its design.
 
 
"Great priestess, for your careful consideration of the lives your wish might have affected, we have bestowed upon you this gift. We await your return, sister," the spirits spoke in unison as clarity and peace filled her clay body with warm light.
 
 
Magic rippled through her body and tingled all the way down through the tips of her toes. It was a strange experience, for she knew she still possessed a body of dirt and bones, but through the spirits' blessing, she'd received a closer connection with the sensations that made her feel human. Her sight and hearing still seemed as sharp as they had before, but now her world seemed brighter and full. In comparison to this moment of almost pure sensation, her un-life had slid by in muted colors and bland sound.
 
 
The sun reached its zenith in the sky as Kikyo finally left the sparkling temple. The spirits had connected with her body and soul, and she was now a part of the magic surrounding the ancient grounds. A small girl in a white tunic waved slowly from her seat upon a pristine gold wall, and Kikyo returned the wave with a slow smile as she relished the simple joy of inner tranquility.
 
 
She waited a moment for the Shinidamachuu to appear and lift her into the sky. As she glided slowly along the humid summer breeze, she turned her face toward the sky to enjoy the warmth of the sun that splashed against her skin until it dipped below the horizon.
 
-
-
Author's Notes - Not much to be said! If this chapter confused you, please send me a note/email/review with questions or concerns. (alesyira-at-gmail-dot-com) I may end up making a few alterations to clear things up if I overlooked anything major!