InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Some people need a push ❯ Battle Plans ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Battle Plans
 
Stopped for Camp, Japan
Feudal Era, Tuesday, Day 12
 
When Kagome entered the cave sobbing, everyone pounced on her. Miroku, against his nature, kept at a distance, and spoke comforting words to her over Sango's shoulder. Sango was holding her tightly, where Kagome was crying her heart out.
 
“He lied to me! He said he loved me... He lied to me!” Kagome repeated this numerous times, until she ran out of tears to cry.
 
“Come on. What you need is rest.”
 
“What she needs is chocolate ice cream. And Shippo.”
 
“What?”
 
“Just trust me, Sango. C'mon, Kagome.”
 
Jan used one of the chocolate bars Kagome had in her pack to make a large carton of chocolate ice cream, and grabbed Shippo's tail on the way to the back. “We're gonna be in your room, Sesshy.”
 
It was a testament to how bad off Kagome was when she didn't even look up to see who was being referred to as Sesshy, and even more when he replied.
 
When they got Kagome to the small room, Jan set a spoon in one hand and the tub of ice cream in the other. Shippo crawled up into her lap and sat there, looking lost.
 
“Kagome?” Shippo ventured after a minute. When she didn't respond, he looked at the other two, and then hugged her. “Talk? Please? Don't be mad at me, please?”
 
“I'm not mad at you, Shippo. I'm mad at him.” Kagome spat the last word out. Opening the ice cream, she dug her spoon in, and began to eat it. “You guys should get some spoons, too.”
 
Sango and Jan looked at each other. “I'll get you guys the spoons, but I need to talk to Sesshy about our plan. Kagome, I wasn't gonna mention this so early, but I want to see if your miko energies are compatible with my spells. I think it might be a good distraction.” Jan ducked out of the room, and returned a few minutes later with the promised utensils. “I'll try it tomorrow.”
 
Kagome and Sango thanked her, asked if she was sure about not staying, and then shrugged as she said she had to. They began to eat as she left the room, Kagome taking huge spoonfuls, Sango taking mincing bites, trying to get Kagome to talk.
 
“I'm gonna kill Silver for this!” Jan said to an empty chamber.
 
 
Walking Towards Camp, Japan
Feudal Era, Tuesday, Day 12
 
Inuyasha walked slowly along the path towards camp. He knew that was where Kagome went. Her scent, spiked with anger and misery, was strong on the path. He reflected on the last words she said to him. “I hate you!” Does she really, he wondered to himself.
 
Why wouldn't she believe him? Why would she think that, after last night, he would lie to her? A million questions raced through his head, and he realized it. `I never told her about the marking.'
 
It was the logical thing. Kikyo knew about it, Kagome didn't. Kikyo told her that he would have marked her if he loved her. That was true, but only to a certain extent. He had been in love with Kagome for a while, but he hadn't marked her yet. That was because dog demons marked mates when they mated for the first time. Kikyo either didn't know that, or didn't care. Either way, she screwed up Inuyasha's life, and now he'd be lucky if Kagome ever talked to him again.
 
“Why did she have to show up then? A few more minutes, and I would have marked Kagome!” He punched the tree that he had been walking past, and it fell down, and knocked the three behind it down, as well. “If I ever see her again, I'll...” He walked over to the next nearest tree, and punched it. This time, five trees fell down.
 
“Inuyasha, killing the forest isn't going to help with your problem.” The cool voice came from behind him, and Inuyasha whirled around, grinning maliciously. He was going to welcome the chance to fight out his anger.
 
“What're you doing here, Sesshomaru?” he asked, not really caring.
 
“Jan sent me. She said that the powers of the Tensaiga would keep me from being killed by you, and you needed a... what did she call it... an outlet for your anger. I, personally, would have preferred you destroyed the forest, but she has problems with that, for some reason.”
 
Inuyasha stared at him for a moment, then slumped. “The only outlet for my anger that I want right now is Kikyo. I'd love to tear her to pieces right now.”
 
“My, my. Violent thought, isn't it, Inuyasha?” purred the miko herself, from behind him.
 
“I warned you, Kikyo. Now, you're dead!” Inuyasha lunged at Kikyo, and promptly passed through her incorporeal figure.
 
“I'm already dead, Inuyasha. Remember? I don't think that you will be able to kill me any more than I am already.”
 
“Won't stop me from trying!”
 
“Inuyasha, stop. She isn't solid, you can't do anything about it. When we get back to camp, ask Jan about a spell to get rid of pesky spirits.”
 
“Oh, I doubt you'll be able to get rid of me, demon.” Kikyo looked at Sesshomaru, then turned back to Inuyasha. “You seem to be attracting even more demons to your cause, love. I think you may be able to finish my jewel this time. Then you can join me.”
 
“Stop goading my brother, Kikyo. Nothing is gained from this, and it distracts from our goal of defeating Naraku. If you truly want the Jewel whole, you should leave Inuyasha in peace.”
 
“Brother? I thought that you two try to kill each other whenever you cross paths.”
 
“We are fighting together for the time being, because neither of us can defeat Naraku alone. It is none of your business why we are not fighting. Leave, Kikyo. Inuyasha, Jan wishes to speak with you, so if you are calm enough, we should return to camp.”
 
“Oh, dear, are you following a human, too? Or is Jan some other demon? Either way, it is amusing, that you are following orders. Aren't you one of the Great Lords?”
 
“I am not following orders. I wish to return to the camp to keep Jan from killing my servant. He is a valuable fighter, and we should not lose him. This Sesshomaru will ignore you now, spirit. Inuyasha, bickering with that thing will not get you Kagome back any quicker. If she learns that you delayed on your way back to converse with her, you may never regain her heart.”
 
With that, the demon turned and began to walk away from them. Grumbling, Inuyasha followed him, passing through Kikyo's incorporeal form as if she wasn't there.
 
“Bitch,” he muttered.
 
 
Stopped for Camp, Japan
Feudal Era, Tuesday, Day 12
 
“How could you be stupid enough to just stand there, talking to her, as if you were at a tea party?! She's your ex, the ex that gives Kagome self esteem problems! The least you could have done would have been stick up for her with more than the copy statements! You could have told Kikyo that you did love Kagome, you could have told Kikyo that you were about to mark her, for gods' sakes, you could have even told her that Kagome doesn't smell anything like her, and that would have made Kagome happy! Instead, you say she's your girlfriend! How much more of a stupid, idiotic, insensitive jackass could you be?!”
 
Jan was ticked. Obviously. She was yelling at Inuyasha. She had been for about twenty minutes. As soon as he walked into the camp, she started yelling at him. By now, they had a rather large audience, and only one person was looking at him with sympathy, and that person was the most unlikely to feel anything akin to understanding.
 
“Kechara, I think that my brother is aware of how stupidly he acted. You do not need to grind it in any further.”
 
“She's right, Sesshomaru.” Inuyasha's quiet voice stilled Jan's retort. “I royally screwed up. Let her yell.”
 
Every one stared at him. He was sitting on one of the chairs Jan had conjured, shoulders slumped, with his head in his hands.
 
“Okay, since you apparently know why I'm yelling at you, why don't you tell me why you didn't tell her about the marking?” Jan said, in a kinder voice than before. “I think she would have noticed you biting her neck.”
 
“I hadn't asked her to be my mate yet. I wanted to do it the way people in her time do, with a ring.” His ears drooped, and he looked very much the distressed puppy.
 
“You... idiot. If you were planning on asking her to marry you like that, why didn't you ask for a ring?”
 
“I wasn't planning on asking her tonight. I was barely even hoping she would love me.”
 
“Idiot. I told you she did. Why didn't you listen to me?”
 
“You're not her. How could you know how she feels? You've only recently joined us, and she's never told any one that.”
 
“I'm an empath, Idiot. That's your new name, by the way.”
 
“I don't care.” He stood up and walked out of the caves, and Sesshomaru made to follow.
 
Jan placed a hand on his arm. “He doesn't want company right now. It wouldn't help him, and he needs to be alone. When I grabbed his arm to sit him down earlier, I slipped a mile-radius spirit-shield around him. Kikyo won't bother him, now, so no one needs to keep an eye on him. The worst that could happen is he'll run away, and he won't do that when Kagome's about to go into battle against Naraku. I'm gonna go look up a solidifying exorcism spell.”
 
“A what?” Miroku asked.
 
“A spell that turns a spirit into solid form, so that it can be destroyed. Kikyo would be able to return, if we just exorcise her. I think I'll ask Kagome what she could do if Kikyo were alive, and hittable.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because I need to figure out will have first dibs on beating Kikyo up. I don't think Kagome is violent enough to do that, but she needs something other than ice cream and tissues to help her get over this.”
 
“What she needs is Inuyasha to come back and beg for forgiveness.” Miroku corrected.
 
Everyone stared at him, and he elaborated.
 
“If he does something so out of character that she can't doubt that he's sincere, she'll take him back.”
 
“Would Silver do that? If it meant getting Kagome back?”
 
“I don't know. With that rosary, he wouldn't be able to get close enough to say her name,” contributed Sango.
 
“Good lord, we're screwed. Okay, we're moving camp early tomorrow. Sango, you're in charge of keeping Kagome busy enough while we're packing up the necessaries so that she doesn't go all melancholy. After we get moving, I'll take over with testing her for magic compatibility. Sesshy, you're in charge of keeping Silver from going depressed, keeping him away from Kagome, and scouting. I would suggest taking him scouting with you, and keeping him busy. Miroku, if he comes back tonight, I would suggest you try to convince him to your idea. Amelia, Maria, tonight, you're in charge of Kagome. Shippo, how is she?”
 
Everyone looked at the little kitsune. “She's trying to pretend she's asleep, so she won't have to come out and look at Inuyasha. She knows he was here; she heard you yelling.”
 
“Okay. I don't have any super-important jobs for you or Rin, so you guys can help me with dinner. After that, you can take her hers, and act as the comfort person.”
 
“Why do I do that?” he asked.
 
“You're basically her baby, Shippo. She's like your mom. Her maternal instincts kick in whenever you're around, and that comforts her, in a round about way. Don't mention Inuyasha, though, at all to her.”
 
The little fox nodded. “That makes sense.”
 
“Okay, battle positions, everyone.” Everyone scattered, and Jan felt a huge weight drop onto her shoulders. “Just what I need,” she muttered. “Everyone wanting me to make their problems go away.”