InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Something to Protect - Echoes ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

*~*~Prologue~*~*
 
 
 
Miroku's legs finally gave out as he reached the banks of the raging river. He tried to take a step towards the waves, but his body had succumbed to sheer exhaustion. Unable to take even one more step he crumbled weakly to the ground. I have to do this! His body obviously had other ides as it remained motionless. Kneeling on the earth, the monk's lungs strained as he valiantly tried to draw a proper breath.
 
He didn't notice the crimson drop of blood that fell from his tear stained cheek and merged with the wet sand. Though that might be the least of his worries. At the moment the inescapable that consumed his entire being held his full attention.
 
A void, darker than anything he'd ever created, threatened to engulf him. Vision blurring, he futilely fought against it. He needed to stay conscious. He needed to feel something.
 
Anything.
 
Pain would do for now.
 
He felt an eerily numbing sensation spreading throughout his body. Shock was what Kagome-sama had called it. He'd experienced it before after a particularly viscous fight with a water youkai. Nothing could compare to what he felt now.
 
Miroku shook his head violently, trying to dispel the images that continued to assault him, and return feeling to his limbs. He grit his teeth in frustration as both refused to dissipate. His fingers dug into the wet ground at his feet, as he squeezed his eyes shut, willing the memories to fade. Ironically they grew more vivid, as the sounds and smells of the last hour embedded themselves forever into his memory.
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
Denial had been his initial reaction. "Impossible", he'd mumbled to himself, even as the familiar acrid smell wafted to his nose.
 
Dried earth and sulfur.
 
Miroku felt his hands clench into fists in apprehension. The monk felt paralyzed, his feet rooted unnaturally to the windblown earth. Miroku attempted to drag his eyes from the taijiya sprawled on the ground in front of him, his staff gripped protectively between her fingers. The mere sight of her broke his heart. He could not bring himself to meet her gaze and instead chose to raise his eyes to his surroundings.
 
His first mistake.
 
Mysteriously tear filled eyes widened as he surveyed the damage. The small Musashi village had been leveled. A feeling of foreboding crept over him as he stared at what remained of the huts. Straw roofs scattered beyond repair, tatami mat doors ripped away, stables mysteriously empty. . .
 
This could be the result of the youkai attack Miroku rationalized weakly in his mind. Though even as he thought the words a million reasons why that could not be bombarded him. His stricken eyes met those of the trembling villagers and the audible gasp and their cries of fear made him turn his head away in disbelief. He almost wished he hadn't as he tried and failed to ignore the glare of Jaken, Sesshoumaru's little shadow.
 
A few feet away Inuyasha was clutching Kagome to him tightly. A rare expression of their unspoken feelings. The girl's face conveyed her horror as she clung weakly to Inuyasha's fire rat haori. She seemed to be relying on the boy's hand on her back to stand, as her knees had given out moments before. Her vibrant gray eyes were now a stormy color, as she released one heartwrenching sob that seared his soul before quieting. The tears now streaming silently down her cheeks. The hanyou couldn't meet his gaze as he buried his face in the young miko's hair.
 
Miroku felt Sango's stare, though she hadn't moved from the spot on the ground before him. Her's were still the eyes he could not look into. He had few fears, but he was deathly afraid of the fear and revulsion he knew he would find there.
 
"Miroku", she whispered softly.
 
His eyes jerked to hers of their own volition. She'd called him Miroku he realized with wonder. With Sango it was always a reserved "Houshi-sama" or when he'd pissed her off with his wandering hand or eyes, "Hentai" or "Pervert". Or whatever she could think of at the moment. But never "Miroku". Never.
 
He was almost relieved to find no fear in her gaze. But what he did find caused him to cringe and back away. Shame clouded his features as he stared into her glassy eyes. Sango rose swiftly from the ground, with the grace and ease of a trained warrior. She took a tentative step forward, letting her hand lightly grasp his wrist. His gaze immediately locked onto where she touched him.
 
His eyes widened in horrific understanding as he watched her fingers touch the reddish-colored beads that now encircled his wrist.
 
Miroku snatched his hand away as if she'd burned him. This was the last thing he'd ever thought he'd do when his shy taijiya finally got around to touching him. But his fragile excuse of denial had just been annihilated. The mental barrier shielding his mind from the truth crumbled around him, and his world along with it.
 
He remembered the terror, the screams, but most of all the complete helplessness.
 
He'd never felt desperation like what he'd just experienced.
 
And then he remembered Sango flying towards him, Hiraikotsu forgotten on the ground. Her hair whipping loose of its high ponytail, the rosary clutched between her fingers, the same desperation in her eyes.
 
The feelings boiled over and he felt the sting of tears in his eyes. "Gomen. . .", he mumbled, then shook his head at his inadequate apology. He couldn't stand the look in her eyes any longer, so he turned and fled into the forest. He heard her scream his name behind him, but he didn't dare stop.
 
"I'm so sorry", he whispered, as he raced away from her voice.
 
Away from her tears.
 
Away from the pity in her eyes.
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
Miroku felt disgust at himself rising within him. He had never moved that fast in his entire life. And although he could normally outrun the swift moving beauty, she had caught him this time. Caught his slowly disssapating soul. Her expression haunted him even now, though he was utterly alone. He'd used the last of his strength to make it to the river before they could catch him, with the sole purpose of pitching himself into the churning water, but now he hesitated.
 
The woman's eyes that compelled him to want to end his suffering, were the same eyes that kept him from moving towards the water's edge.
 
In the end Miroku's broken body made the decision for him. The spots of darkness before his vision grew, and he felt himself collapse completely onto the sand, as sweet oblivion finally claimed him.
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
Author's note
 
Just changed added a little bit to it. Wanted to convey Miroku's desperation just a little more. Hope I nailed it. Lemme know what you guys think.
 
 * * * Blanket Disclaimer: Inuyasha's mine? Keh! I wish! I'm just borrowing 'em * * *
 
 
What the heck do these words mean:
 
Taijiya- Demon Exterminator
Hentai- Pervert
Gomen- Sorry
Houshi- Monk
Hiraikostu- Sango's weapon