InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Something to Protect - Echoes ❯ Reflections ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
Chapter 5
*~*~Reflections~*~*
 
 
 
The gleaming blade didn't slice cleanly through the warrior's neck. It made this horrible sucking sound as it lodged itself beneath his skin and deeply into the tissue. A look of horrified understanding registered on the old taijiya's face moments before the sickle was viciously yanked from his dying form.
 
Sango stumbled backwards blindly, a look of complete disbelief clouding her features. A strangled gasp escaped her lips as his eyes fluttered shut in silent acceptance. Father?
 
The seemingly endless flow of blood caused her eyes to burn with unshed tears. Her hands clenched into fists at her sides with rage. Urging her to draw the short sword at her back.
 
Every fiber of her being screamed retribution. Vengeance for her father's gruesome death, and satisfaction for the other countless taijiya that littered the ground around her. Fury compelled her to meet her younger brother's vacant stare.
 
Eyes colder than any demon she'd ever faced stared back into her own.
 
Sango shook her head in silent denial.
 
Soulless.
 
She knew what she must do. But how could she?
 
She hesitated, searching for a flicker of the boy she once knew. The child who used to pick her wild flowers behind the training fields. There was nothing.
 
Nothing except the deadly weapon flying towards her.
 
In that instant she understood her father's unwillingness to fight back against him. That moment of hesitation would cost her everything. The excruciating pain entered her consciousness as darkness slowly claimed her.
 
Kohaku!
 
"No!" Sango's eyes snapped open in shock as she bolted upright on the soft grass. Her eyes, glassy with tears she refused to let fall, glanced around warily at her surroundings. Hand tightening on the strap of Hiraikotsu, Sango let her eyes close with a half-hearted sigh of relief.
 
It had been a dream. A vivid memory assaulting her while she slept.
 
A dejected sigh left her lips as she fought off the familiar waves of utter sorrow. The loneliness was all-consuming. Most mornings she found herself wondering if all of this was even worth it.
 
This never ending quest to gain back something she was afraid was already lost forever.
 
Her father had always told her to be strong, but she doubted if the sweet man had imagined that one day his little girl would be left completely alone. A flickering image of his smiling face caused her to grit her teeth in mounting frustration.
 
I can't stand this! Memories of her family once evoked a small smile on her face. But no longer. The only thing they brought now was pain.
 
Maybe it would have been better if I had never had a family to begin with?
 
That shocking thought had her bringing shaking hands to her lips as if afraid she would voice the heinous idea. To never have known her parents love or to have been the apple of her father's eye? To never have Kohaku look upon her with adoration or fill her mother with pride. What has Naraku done to me?!
 
A look of determination flooded the taijiya's eyes.
 
Naraku was the master of manipulation. She knew he got some twisted pleasure out of the fact that she was in agony every moment. That her very existence was a tortured one.
 
She'd allowed him and her thirst for revenge to distract her to the point where she'd almost forgotten what was most important.
 
Her family's legacy.
 
The village of the Demon Slayers had been one of the most powerful before it had been ripped apart by that vile creature. That legacy needed to be passed on.
 
It could not die with her. It would not die with her!
 
Houshi-sama seemed convinced that given the chance he could re-populate her entire village within a matter of hours. As effective as that technique may or may not be Sango knew that she was not ready for the responsibility of children.
 
Though a small bundle of joy to fill the hole in her heart was a tempting prospect, she could not risk something so precious with Naraku still alive. No, there has to be another way.
 
The familiar youkai presence caught her attention even before she heard Kirara's distressed mew coming from within the bushes.
 
Sango was on her feet in an instant. Slinging Hiraikotsu over her shoulder, she took off at a dead run towards the noise. The neko youkai, sensing her approach, turned and headed back in the direction of the village.
 
Youki flaring in a flash of blazing fire, Kirara took on her true form without breaking a single stride. Comprehending Kirara's urgency, Sango leapt onto her companion's back, clinging to her fur as she took to the sky.
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
The disturbed taijiya had almost given up understanding the reason behind Kirara's upset until they neared the village limits. Another familiar youki caused her to bring Kirara to a quick halt. Inuyasha?
 
He was coming straight at her. Fast!
 
Kirara's soft paws had barely lighted on the ground when the irate hanyou crashed through the trees at a breakneck speed. The panicked look in his golden orbs had Sango scrambling wildly off the cat's back. What was that he was carrying?
 
The red haori was bundled around something in his arms. Sango's gaze followed the hem of the fabric and spotted the black hair spilling pitifully out of the other side.
 
Her horrified scream was involuntary as she stumbled towards him, Hiraikotsu clattering to the ground in her haste. "Kagome!"
 
Almost afraid of what she would find, Sango hesitated. No, not Kagome.
 
She ignored Inuyasha's possessive growl as she practically ripped the haori away from her limp body to inspect her. The girl was the closest thing Sango'd ever had to a sister. She couldn't be. . . .!
 
The slight rise and fall of her chest caused Sango to release a sob of relief. She was alive!
 
How dare he scare her like that! How dare he. . . Sango's concerned gaze looked onto the girl's haphazardly torn shirt. Her irrational mind couldn't stop the semi-accusing glare she shot at Inuyasha. How had he let this happen? He was never that far from the girl. Granted they had been arguing all day . . . A horrible thought snuck unbidden into her mind. He hadn't? He wouldn't. . .
 
The hanyou's eyes narrowed as he absorbed her silent assessment. Not even willing to dignify that horrible question with an answer Inuyasha tightened his hold on the miko and sent Sango an exaggerated "Keh!"
 
A look of shame washed over the taijiya's features. How could I think something like that? She struggled to slow her panicked breathing. Of course he wouldn't!
 
Sango couldn't believe how frightened she'd just become. Her mind had been unwilling to lose anyone else, and her fragile world had practically tilted.
 
It was still tilting, she realized with shock as the light-headedness made itself known.
 
Before she could react strong arms encircled her waist and steadied her shaking frame. "Breathe Sango," a reassuring voice whispered in her ear.
 
"Houshi-sama," she mumbled in thanks. Taking his advice and letting a deep breath fill her lungs, she felt the dizziness slowly fade away. Her world righted itself within his hold.
 
Glancing at his arms that were still clinging possessively to her, Sango decided to give the monk a reprieve in this instance. Well, he did save me from the possible pain and humiliation of fainting at Inuyasha's feet.
 
Kagome's injuries seemed to glare at the sympathetic taijiya. The ugly welts on her neck looked as if she had almost been strangled to death! What had happened to the poor girl?
 
"Now might be a good time to explain how Kagome-sama came to be injured," Miroku hinted.
 
"Damn snake youkai. . ." Inuyasha started, and began to relate the details of the incident to them. Sango watched Inuyasha's face with interest as his voice rose with every word he spoke. Maybe I'm not the only one who needs a deep breath?
 
Sango cringed in concern as he related Kagome's rather humiliating experience. She'd been lucky to survive. Her eyes took in the sleeping miko, reassuring herself that she would be alright. Kagome's strong. She'll be fine.
 
"Then the bastard t-touched her!" Inuyasha stammered angrily. Sango flinched at the venom in his tone, eyes shooting to his face in confusion.
 
She blinked in astonishment, stumbling backwards more firmly into Miroku's embrace.
 
The monk's startled eyes shot to her face in complete shock. Sango always shied away from any physical attention. But he was not one to look down upon a gift.
 
He was so focused on his taijiya's apparent change of heart that he remained oblivious to her fear.
 
The crimson red that had filled Inuyasha's eyes momentarily as he recounted the incident had amazed her.
 
Does he even realize what just happened? Sango wondered as her worry grew. He had not paused in his rant, but he was gripping Tetsusaiga beneath his haori she realized as she watched his clawed hand tighten. He knew.
 
The red had faded as quickly as it appeared. Maybe it had just been an emotional response?Was that even possible? Glancing at Miroku to see if he'd noticed, she gritted her teeth in growing annoyance. His gaze was completely focused on poor Kagome's exposed chest.
 
Inuyasha seemed to notice his attention as well. "Son of a . . !" he growled, yanking his haori back over the sleeping miko, and taking a threatening step in Miroku's direction.
 
"You misunderstand my intentions," Miroku stammered, reluctantly releasing his hold on Sango with a sigh. "I wish no disrespect!"
 
He found himself pinned beneath their skeptical gazes. His shoulders lifted in a small shrug. "Although one must admit that our Kagome-sama does have lovely. . ."
 
Sango's quick slap ended that train of thought.
 
"Get to the point monk!" Inuyasha growled, pulling the haori tighter, still not convinced that Kagome was sufficiently shielded from his prying eyes.
 
Inuyasha did not appreciate the knowing look the lecher had sent his way. As if Miroku somehow knew that he'd sneaked a peek.
 
There was no way he could know. Was there?
 
Inuyasha pretended not to notice Sango's penetrating stare. Great! That's all I need! That girl was as lethal as Kagome when she was riled up. All he needed was Sango finding out that he'd ogled her best friend while she'd been unconscious.
 
Inuyasha winced at the thought. It sounds so horrible when you think about it that way. Pushing away those unwelcome thoughts he turned his glare on Miroku who had yet to explain himself.
 
"Inuyasha," Miroku started gently as if afraid the hanyou would fly into a rage, "I'm sure you've noticed, but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you, the Shikon shards are definitely missing!"
 
Sango let out a startled gasp. She'd been so overcome with worry that she hadn't thought to ask about the fate of the shards. Oh Kami, they're missing! If they were taken by a low level demon, Naraku could have the shards in a matter of hours!
 
Letting out a sigh of frustration, Inuyasha nodded his agreement. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it." Miroku read the panicked look on Sango's face and dismissed it with a shake of his head.
 
If no one else is worried then I shouldn't be, Sango reassured herself, fighting the urge to demand that Inuyasha tell her how he allowed the shards to be taken.
 
Sango reconsidered a moment later as Kagome moaned quietly in her sleep. The poor girl has to be exhausted. First fighting against that demon and now this. She deserves a break. We have to leave.
 
They had lied to Kagome earlier. Demons had been attacking this village nonstop since Inuyasha had carried the unconscious girl into its midst. The could sense the power of the jewel fragments. And with Naraku quiet and not assimilating every low level demon in the vicinity into his grotesque body they all seemed to come out of hiding.
 
Sango's mind was made up. They could all use a little rest, and they would never get it there.
 
"I'm taking her home!" Sango declared firmly, motioning Kirara forward.
 
Eyes narrowing in confusion Inuyasha's grip tightened on the girl. "What are you babbling about? You can't take her through the well!"
 
Miroku nodded in agreement. "And I doubt she would want her family to see her in such a state."
 
Sango rolled her eyes at the intelligence of the men around her. Even Kirara released an irritated mew. Sango climbed upon the neko's back quickly. "Not her home, you bakas, mine!"
 
When Inuyasha looked as if he would protest, Miroku shook his head quickly. It was then Inuyasha noticed the wistful look on Sango's usually grief-stricken face.
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
It was happening again.
 
Fifty years of repressed pain struggled for release inside the old woman.
 
Kaede had quietly watched Inuyasha and the others as they discussed what to do with the young miko, and had heard the story Inuyasha had related to them. More importantly she'd heard how he'd related it. Primal growls punctuating his speech as the hanyou grew increasingly angry. His attempts to combat his increasingly powerful youkai side.
 
She'd noticed the way he'd held Kagome, seen the way he touched her. The way, lately, his eyes focused on everything but her as if he was trying to forcefully drive the girl from his thoughts.
 
Kaede shook her head knowingly. Rubbing the rosary beads in her pocket nervously the old woman released a dismal sigh.
 
It was happening again, and there would be no escape for the hanyou this time.
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
Mmmm! What was that smell? Kagome rolled wearily onto her side for the second time that day.
 
She knew better than to try and stand immediately. She'd learned her lesson this morning. Was it only this morning? It seems so long ago.
 
Struggling to keep her vision in focus, she took another sniff of the tantalizing aroma tempting her nose. Ramen! Kagome let out a pleased sigh.
 
Inuyasha? She located the hanyou sitting quietly beside the fire. His chest rose and fell evenly, Tetsusaiga clutched protectively to his chest. Like a teddy bear.
 
Somehow she didn't think Inuyasha would appreciate that little comparison.
 
Kagome felt a small laugh bubble up within her, but it disappeared quickly as a crushing pain swept through her restricted chest. Restricted? Kagome eased apart the huge garment that almost engulfed her. She had been bandaged from belly button to breasts.
 
A warm flush spread through her. Had Inuyasha. . . Her gaze shot back to the seemingly innocent young man. Probably not.
 
Eyes narrowing in confusion as she scanned the room she realized that she was no longer in the village. Sitting up abruptly Kagome ignored the dizzying sensation that swept through her. Where are we? The place looks familiar.
 
"Inuyasha," she whispered, surprised at the hoarse quality of her own voice. I sound like a frog! Her hands fluttered to her neck in confusion. She regretted it almost immediately. Pain shot through the tender tissue all the way to her collar bone. Stupid snake!
 
Kagome swallowed down the pained squeak that threatened to escape. "Inuyasha!" The hanyou's ears twitched a bit, but otherwise, he didn't move a muscle. Kagome let out an exasperated sigh as she realized that if she wanted to eat then she was on her own.
 
Maybe it was for the better that he remained asleep. Her puny attempts would probably only irritate him into another rant. She was definitely not in the mood for another lecture. No matter how truthful it may turn out to be.
 
She fought to keep her balance in the dark hut as she stumbled to her feet. So far, so good. Wincing as she took another step, Kagome almost reconsidered this expedition. Her ankles seemed to be in much worse condition than they'd been in that morning.
 
"Damnit, Inuyasha," she whispered, convinced he would end this charade and help her before she completely humiliated herself. As much as she didn't want him to yell at her, she feared falling on her face even more. What's wrong with him? He always sleeps so lightly!
 
Kagome silently congratulated herself as she made it to the cooking fire. After pouring herself a small cup of the steaming meal, she then proceeded to make her way back to the small pallet in the corner. That wasn't so hard!
 
Her legs didn't seem to agree as the pressure on her ankles proved to be too much.
 
The scalding hot soup slipped from her grasp splashing all over her. She only had a moment to thank Kami that she'd been wearing Inuyasha's haori before she began to crumble to the rough dirt packed floor.
 
Strong hands around her middle quickly halted her descent. Her agonized shriek startled her poor savior as he realized he was grasping her painfully bruised ribs!
 
Releasing her was instinctual, granted not the most thought-out solution.
 
"Damnit, wench!" The frightened girl was clutching Inuyasha's hakama, scrambling for a handhold. “Watch those hands!”
 
Unprepared for her weight Inuyasha lost his battle with gravity and sent them both sprawling.
 
The silence seemed to last forever as Kagome struggled to piece together the last few moments.
 
Inuyasha let out an indulgent sigh. "Can I ask you a question?"
 
Kagome didn't have the strength to answer but nodded weakly.
 
"How the hell do you survive in your time?"
 
"Baka."
 
Rolling her eyes at his annoying question, mainly because he'd had the nerve to sound genuinely perplexed, she used what was left of her strength to shove the irritating hanyou off of her and onto the sopping wet futon.
 
"Damnit, Kagome!" Inuyasha growled as the liquid soaked into his shirt.
 
She pinned him with a glare as he shoved himself to his feet. He looked as if he was considering leaving her exactly where she was.
 
Kagome let out a small sigh of relief as he hauled her to her unstable feet. Unrolling a second futon, Inuyasha motioned for her to lay down as he yanked his soaked shirt off with a loud grumble. It landed on the floor with a wet smack that made the girl wince.
 
She almost felt bad for splattering him until she glance at him. Almost. Kagome struggled to keep her eyes from widening as she successfully flopped onto the dry bedding. She'd only witnessed Inuyasha shirtless a few times since she'd know him, and most of those times he'd been covered in blood.
 
She'd forgotten how. . .um. . firm he was. His lean build drew her gaze like a slew of muscles never would. The hidden strength packed within his frame admittedly enticed her a bit. Ok more than a bit.
 
Stop staring! her conscious ordered.
 
I'm not!
 
You are.
 
"What'cha staring at, wench?" Inuyasha asked in confusion, glancing up from the pot where he was currently scooping out the rest of the ramen.
 
"Huh?" Kagome blurted, fumbling for an excuse as the blood rushed to her cheeks. "I'm just hungry."
 
"Well you should go ahead and get started," he said, nodding towards the noodle splattered futon.
 
"Inuyasha, be serious!" she implored.
 
"I am," he said firmly, "you had yours!"
 
Greedy little. . . "It's my ramen!" Kagome justified.
 
"I cooked it!"
 
"That doesn't make it yours!"
 
"Fine!" he said with a smirk. "So come over here and get it."
 
"Baka."
 
This conversation was exhausting her, she realized in annoyance. "Fine, Inuyasha!" she declared, wrapping his warm and miraculously dry haori more firmly around her shoulders. I gotta get me some of this cloth.
 
Sleep was sounding like a better and better idea by the moment she thought to herself as she tried to soothe her wounded feelings. She gave in to the urge and let her tired eyes flutter shut.
 
Baka . . . . Inuyasha . . . .
 
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
 
Author's Note
Not much changed here but a enough detail to warrant a repost.
 
I'm still trying to get the hang of posting my fanfiction. I hope you guys are enjoying what I've written so far. Thanks for all the great feedback!
 
 
* * * Blanket Disclaimer: Inuyasha's mine? Keh! I wish! I'm just borrowing 'em * * *
 
 What the heck do these words mean:
 
Bouzo- derogatory name for monk
Hakama- Inuyasha's pants