InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Something to Protect - Echoes ❯ Eye of the Beholder ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Seven

Eye of the Beholder

A warm breeze floated quietly over the sprawling field, carrying the delicate scent of cherry blossoms and rich earth to Shiori's sensitive nose. The girl's eyes closed in momentary bliss as the warm wind wrapped around her like a soft embrace. As if caressing her youki, dulling the heartache and trauma of hurtful days gone by.

She was snapped abruptly from her reverie as a second sensation crept slowly over her. Danger? The foreboding feeling refused to dissipate as the wind picked up speed, whipping her silver strands into a small frenzy. Shiori stopped in her tracks, lavender eyes gazing warily at the youkai she had begun to approach.

The differences between Inuyasha and the youkai in the clearing, who still remained oblivious to her presence, practically shouted at her. They shared the same glorious silver mane and had similar facial features, but that was where the similarities came to an end. The familiar honey colored eyes which had initially drawn her from her hiding place now caused her breath to catch in her throat.

The passionate flaming amber orbs of the hanyou were nowhere to be found. They had been replaced with an impregnable shield of flawless ice. Perfect, dark, and unbelievably cold. I haven't seen a flicker of emotion since he's been standing there.

Her body shook almost violently with the realization of the mistake she had almost made. He will not help me. Painful memories assaulted her as she recalled the urgent words of her mother.

"Do not fear the villagers. They are nothing. Cowards that fear you and what they do not understand. But beware of the youkai! The narrow-minded emotionless monsters like your grandfather. They fear your existence as well, but unfortunately they do not fear you."

Shiori remembered these words with growing apprehension as she stumbled backwards on trembling legs. Her fear rekindled, she fought the urge to flee blindly in the other direction. Her petrified gaze was completely focused on the dangerous youkai in front of her and she didn't notice the girl until she'd practically crashed into her.

Purple eyes widened even further as she stared at the small girl with the bundles of flowers clutched between her fingers. Shiori froze, shaking uncontrollably, her body weary from constant fear. Analyzing the potential threat, she warily watched the startled human.

Innocent hazel eyes wandered over her slowly. Taking in her long white hair, oddly colored eyes, and burnished copper skin.

She would scream now.

They always screamed.

Shifting her weight nervously, Shiori prepared her keen hearing for the brittle noise.

Surprise was evident on her tired face when the girl rose silently from the ground, dusting the small brown smudges from her sunny kimono. "You should not do that," the girl mumbled quietly.

Shiori's eyes narrowed slightly in confusion and surprise at the soft comment. Why doesn't she scream? Why is she so calm? She reflected on this quietly. The girl seemed surprised yet her voice remained soft. Almost lyrical. "I should not do what?" she finally answered, curious to see where the conversation would take her.

"Bother Sesshoumaru-sama when he's thinking," she answered simply, threading a fragrant flower into her hair as she talked.

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" Shiori asked her confusion growing.

The girl in front of her stopped moving completely, taking another long look at the hanyou before her, as if the concept of a creature being unfamiliar with her Lord was unthinkable. Coming to the conclusion that her new friend must not have heard her she merely repeated herself quietly. "Sesshoumaru-sama."

Shiori followed the girl's adoring gaze to the dangerous looking youkai. Unable to prevent the fear from overwhelming her Shiori continued her hasty retreat towards the woods. Ignoring the bright eyed girl's look of confusion she tried to decide her best avenue of escape.

The small hand on her ragged kimono halted her futile retreat. After a halfhearted attempt to pull away Shiori sighed in defeat. The concerned look the girl was shooting her did nothing to quell her doubts. Her fear was a tangible thing. It coursed through her like a drug, attempting to devour her where she stood.

Her trembling legs betrayed her, and she fell in an undignified heap at the girl's feet. Shiori warily watched the cheerful girl kneel and bring her eyes level with her own. Exhaustion finally caught up with the hanyou and she blinked reflexively as her vision blurred dangerously. She flinched in surprise as the girl prevented her aching body from sinking completely onto the ground with a steadying hand. What the. . . She's touching me!

Shiori barely had time to register that astounding fact as another one bombarded her sensitive senses. This girl smells like the youkai! That S. .Sesshoumaru! Unable to believe such a ludicrous suggestion she took another agonizing breath. There was no doubt about it! She smelled like the terrifying youkai in the field! But how was that possible?

She realized the girl was trying to talk to her and attempted to focus her hazy vision on the odd creature before her. It was a losing battle, and she felt herself slipping into the void that had been struggling to claim her for the past two days. But not before hearing the smiling girl's name.

Rin.

And as Shiori sank into the enveloping darkness she realized what had frightened her most about the girl. "Humans were cowards that fear what they did not understand."

If that were so. .. . why did Rin not fear her?

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

You are not ready.

The voice was little more than a whisper and Kagome could not deduce its origin. The complete darkness hampered her vision as the girl spun helplessly within its midst.

Grasping frantically for the quiver on her back she gasped in surprise as her hands encountered nothing. Confusion slowly melted into fear as the inky blackness seemed to grow infinitesimally darker. Kagome eyes struggled in vain to seek out a source of light. Even a sliver. There was nothing. Not even a shadow.

Raising her hands to rub her shivering arms she blinked in surprise at the raised hair that covered her skin. Fear. She stamped it down instinctively while weighing her dwindling options. She could stand there as if nothing was wrong. Ignoring the voice that she had clearly heard a moment before. She could yell out for Inuyasha, hoping he would reach her before that thing in the dark did. Or she could do what her panicked mind was screaming at her not to do. She could talk to "it".

Whatever the heck "it" was.


Quickly gathering her courage Kagome yelled into emptiness around her. "Hello?"

Okay, not the most intimidating statement, but it works.


When she received no response she considered calling out again, but the familiar presence behind her distracted her momentarily. Shippou-chan?

She advanced carefully forward attempting not to step on the small kitsune should he be right in front of her. Reaching out blindly her confusion was etched on her features as her hands again closed upon nothing.

Kagome covered her ears in horror as a tortured scream split the silence. The bitter agony that laced every note caused her whole body to tremble.

Oh Kami, what is that?!


The scream was never ending and no matter how she tried the sound somehow seeped between her fingertips. It permeated everything around her, momentarily distracting the miko from her search for the elusive fox demon. Tears slipped from beneath her eyelids as the horrific sound pulled at her heart. The sound finally tapered off into choking sobs and whispered apologies. Kagome removed shaking hands from her ears her eyes filling with renewed horror. Miroku-sama?

"Miroku?" she whispered in denial. "Miroku, is that you?"

The monk in question did not respond as his tearful pleas continued. "Miroku, where are you?" She could not tell where the noises were coming from. The entire room seemed to be made to confuse her. Sound bounced around and appeared to be coming from everywhere at once. Sango's delicate sobs could be heard moments before Kagome spun around in rising panic.

Where's Shippou?


Her fear had caused her to miss an obvious problem. Shippou's youki, as small as it was, was waning. Diminishing slowly with every passing moment.

"Shippou-chan!"

Her only response was her own voice echoing back in her ears. What's going on? Why won't he answer? Is he able to?

His normally cheerful youki pulsed around her like a dying heartbeat. It almost seemed to cling to her aura as if sure that Kagome could save him. She reached out helplessly, using everything Kaede had taught her to try and sense his exact location. Kagome gasped in denial as she felt his youki slip away soundlessly.

"No." The word left her lips in a breathless whisper. His youki's gone! Faded into the endless oblivion.

Denial was replaced with wrath as Kagome released a broken cry that eerily mirrored Miroku's. She could sense none of her friends anywhere.

"Give him back," she stammered quietly. When the kitsune did not appear she felt something break inside of her. "I know you're here," she warned, "I can sense you! Give him back. Give them all back! Now!" She growled in a voice that barely resembled her own.

"I cannot." A voice declared quietly.

Kagome jumped in response surprised that she'd received an answer. "What do you mean, you cannot give them back? You took them away," she spat.

"I did not," the voice corrected, "and it is not in my power to return them to you."

"What do you. . ." Kagome started.

"But it is in yours," the voice interrupted.

"Mine?" Kagome asked incredibly. "How is it in my power to find what I can't see?" She asked her frustration growing. "I don't have time for this!" Kagome shouted.

"You do not have time for those you love most?"

Kagome didn't even dignify that with a response and finally did what she had been aching to do since the beginning. "Inuyasha!!" she screamed desperately, expecting the hanyou to appear at any moment.

The sigh seemed to echo around Kagome, and her eyes narrowed at her enemy's apparent exasperation. "What have you done?" Kagome demanded.

"I've done nothing," the voice claimed sincerely, "as have you."

"This is supposed to be my fault?" Kagome snapped.

"No, it is not your fault," the voice intoned sadly, "though you will blame yourself."

Kagome barely had time to absorb this confusing comment before she felt her eyes began to shut of their own volition. The warm sensation that slowly floated over her felt familiar in a way she couldn't identify. Unwanted images passed before her straining gaze.

A flash of blue so dark it almost seemed black. The sun reflecting off of metal. A blade? A sword! Eyes the color of the sea in a storm that stared longingly into her own. And laughter that sounded of bells surrounded her, shrouded in mist so she could not detect its origin. But somehow the sound alone drained away her anger, as though nothing else in the world mattered. Nothing else in the world. . . Nothing. . .

The fog of sleep did not lift slowly. Her dream fell away instantaneously as though she had stepped over the edge of a cliff and had suddenly fallen back into reality. Kagome's sweat soaked locks clung to her heaving frame as she desperately attempted to slow her breathing. The girl struggled to pry her trembling fingers from her chest, where she clutched the precious Shikon shards to her pounding heart.

Bracing her weight onto her shaking elbows Kagome shifted onto her side and her eyes widened in relief at the ball of warm tawny fur snuggling close to her side. She stroked Shippou's soft head lightly, careful not to wake the rambunctious kit.

Falling back on the futon Kagome ran a shaky hand through her slightly disheveled hair as she finally regained a semblance of control over her body. But her newfound control did nothing to stop her mind from racing.

Normally she could barely recall her dreams in the morning hours, but this was definitely not the case. Every image, smell, and sound bombarded her as though it had really happened but moments ago. She could almost hear her own voice screaming the small kitsune's name, a ghost of a sound echoing off the walls of the sturdy hut.

Her blinking gray eyes scanned the room taking in the familiar sight of a dozing Miroku and Sango and a lightly purring Kirara. She immediately noted the absence of one disgruntled hanyou, and her gaze flickered to the shadows to confirm he was not lurking there, pouting over their latest fight.

Probably sulking in a tree somewhere.

The comforting scene usually lulled her back to sleep quickly, but Kagome could not ignore the staggering wave of homesickness that washed over her. The choked sob caught her by surprise and she covered her mouth in an effort to muffle the sound. What's wrong with me?

The question lingered in her mind as her eyes burned with unshed tears. Suddenly she missed the cozy shrine 500 years away, and she could no longer repress the urge she'd been feeling for the past few days. I want to go home.

The traitorous thought could not be suppressed when she had acknowledged it. She could no longer mask her sadness with a wide smile and a sarcastic joke. Her vow to become a miko was not forgotten, but she refused to deny herself the small reprieve. Training with Kaede would require a huge amount of spiritual control and she would not be able to concentrate if she was preoccupied with wishing she were somewhere else, she justified.

Kagome wiped her tear stained face with determined fingers and rolled away from the comfort of the warm futon. Removing Inuyasha's haori, Kagome spotted her huge yellow knapsack haphazardly tossed in the far corner. Moving silently around her sleeping friends she snagged the strap and hefted the massive bag over her shoulder.

The miko grit her teeth to hold in a curse as her body reminded her of her recent injuries. Kami this thing is huge! Kagome rolled her eyes relieved that at least Inuyasha was not present to rub in the fact that he'd warned her about "packing the entire 21st century" into her bag.

Dropping the heavy sack back onto the floor with a groan Kagome rummaged through the pack of necessities searching for something suitable to wear. Her hands closed around the traditional Shinto priestess garb Kaede had given her long ago. She hesitated rubbing the fabric between her fingers gently. Kagome thoughtfully considered the wisdom in wearing the one thing that was guaranteed to put Inuyasha in a horrible mood.

He'll already be angry enough when he realizes I'm gone.

But her usual uniform was out of the question as it had been destroyed between the coils of an irritating snake youkai. She shuddered at the memory, and pulled on the slightly uncomfortable outfit.

Wrapping herself in the unfamiliar garb, she slightly expected to feel a sense of peace after her declaration to dedicate her life to becoming a priestess. The only emotion she encountered was lingering nervousness and a slight twinge of guilt at what she knew would be Inuyasha's reaction when he saw her. He won't see me for a while anyway, she justified, deciding to leave her troublesome knapsack for the time being.

A small distraught whimper reached her ears and Kagome turned to find a frightened kitsune squirming restlessly in her blankets. Padding across the floor quietly she gently enfolded him within her arms, cradling his shaking form against her bosom, blanketing him in her scent.

Recalling her earlier nightmare Kagome brought the child even closer, smiling softly as he whispered her name in the small whine that she secretly adored, ceasing his erratic movements.

Careful not to wake the others she deposited Shippou near Kirara's side, and watched as his russet colored tail disappeared beneath Kirara's soft fur.

Taking one last look at the sleeping kit, she lifted the tatami mat. . . and let out a long suffering sigh at the soft mew that echoed behind her.

If I don't leave now I won't make it to the well before Inuyasha catches me.

She turned quickly acknowledging Kirara's concerned gaze and mouthed the one word guaranteed to insure her escape.

"Tuna?" she offered desperately hands clenching the wooden frame impatiently.

Kagome's breath expelled in relief as the neko youkai's eyes closed in silent acceptance. Finally!

Freedom so close she could already taste her mother's cooking she smiled widely and stepped into the cool night.

"Where the hell do you think you're going wench?"

The clawed hand that fisted in the front of her kimono forced an outraged squeak from her lips. Robed legs swinging wildly Kagome inwardly groaned as she was hauled roughly up the side of the structure, and directly into the arms of an incensed hanyou.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

She'd been running away!

The unbelievable thought brought a growl to his throat which Inuyasha forcefully suppressed to a low rumble. His grip tightened on her shoulders as he awaited an answer to his grumbled question.

The silence hung in the air, thick and stifling. His amber eyes watched as the girl fingered the jewel shards at her neck and had to resist the urge to wrap his fingers around it. Kami, she was stubborn!

Kagome's eyes flickered away guiltily and would not meet his probing gaze.

"Answer me!" he demanded gruffly realizing his order had registered when her gaze grew hard in indignation. His sensitive hearing honed in on the miko's rapid heartbeat and labored breathing. Was she frightened?

"Home!" she declared, blue eyes flashing in defiance, practically daring the boy to contradict her.

Apparently not, he thought wryly.

Home? The single word ignited an anger that was completely unexpected. She was leaving? Abandoning us?

"The hell you are!" he snapped yanking her forward to make sure she understood. "You're not going anywhere!"

His traitorous heart pounded furiously against his ribs at her words. I did this. I told her she wasn't needed. His eyes narrowed on the determined girl. But when had Kagome ever done a damn thing he'd told her to do? Even now she pulled against his hold, though he had no clue how the girl planned to escape from the rooftop once she gained her freedom.

Inuyasha finally took in her struggling form, anger draining suddenly as his body reacted to her squirming movements against him. What the hell? Her wiggling antics had started a chain reaction within him that was as surprising as it was potent.

"Stop it!" He growled more so for his own benefit than the miko attempting to free herself from his clutches. The command only strengthened her struggles as Kagome bucked against his loosening hold.

All the blood within him seemed to rush to his startled face, and he released the contrary girl in growing embarrassment. Kagome's mouth released a surprised squeal as her footing slipped dangerously and she teetered precariously close to the roof's edge.

Grabbing her flailing hand in his clawed one he yanked her to safety with an annoyed sigh. His charcoal colored brows rose in surprise as her shaking hands snaked tightly around his waist in an unforgiving grip. When will the wench make up her mind? A moment ago she'd looked as if she'd enjoy nothing more than shoving me from the rooftop.

The small puffs of air caused by her labored breathing felt strange against his skin, and Inuyasha chose to remain perfectly still not sure if the girl was frightened or furious.

"If we weren't 20 feet up in the air you'd be tasting dirt right now," she confided allowing her fingertips to pointedly graze the necklace at his throat.

Furious then.

"Oi! Wench you're the one who wanted me to let you go!"

He felt her fingers clench his haori in an attempt to calm herself before inhaling deeply. She was mumbling again. Something about how he never did anything she wanted anyway, before her heartfelt stormy blue eyes captured his attention. The muffled sniffle was completely unexpected and Inuyasha eyes widened in legitimate fear as he realized the exasperating girl was on the verge of crying.

The girl's moods change faster than I can draw Tetsusaiga!

Nostrils flaring in rebellion the hanyou attempted to ignore the smell of salt in the air that always signaled when Kagome was moments from her limit. Had the earlier comment really done so much? The proof was in his arms. The miko trembled from a torrent of emotions ranging from depression to fury, subjecting him to whichever had overtaken her at the moment.

The lingering rays of moonlight played havoc with the hanyou's senses as they danced across the miko's gentle features. Was Kagome miserable? Do I make her miserable? Inuyasha attempted to tell himself that that wasn't the case. That Kagome was just having one of her outbursts. The ones humans tended to have that he could never understand.

Home huh? He thought. Inuyasha shoved aside the pesky emotions that had begun to emerge without his permission. But she promised, his desperate mind interrupted.

He winced at the Shippou-like whine his mind resembled. Refusing to use guilt to persuade the miko to stay he folded his arms in his trademark "I could care less" position across his chest.

"I'll always remain by your side, Inuyasha."

The words had taken on a mocking tone, taunting him at his own gullibility. He had never trusted another soul until he had met the irritating young woman before him. The fact that she too had failed him was difficult for his mind to grasp.

Promises meant nothing.

He'd learned that fact long ago, but somehow in the last few years that learned truth had been lost within the camaraderie that had formed in the small group.

He had allowed himself to forget.

He had allowed himself to feel. . .

Inuyasha could feel Kagome's anger waning, as it had a tendency to do when she detected an emotion besides stubborn anger on his face. He would not deal with this. He could not decide this for her. Though earlier in a bout of illogical panic he'd tried to do just that.

Allowing his brooding gaze to drift over her shoulder and into the darkness, he resisted the long ingrained urge to put his feelings before anyone else's. Coming to the conclusion that this was for the best Inuyasha embraced the emptiness that was threatening to overcome him.

"What do you want?" He winced at the desperation that laced his tone, hoping that the sensitive girl would not detect it caught up in her own myriad of emotions.

Her voice was hoarse from her earlier tears as she futilely searched his face, attempting to draw the gaze that he refused to let light upon her. "I want to go home," she admitted quietly, thoroughly shattering the hope that he had allowed to bloom within him.

He wished to ask her a slew of questions. Each vibrated through his mind, seeking escape, but was restrained by the hanyou's stubborn will. All except one. One lone question was threatening his ability to see clearly. One was on the tip of his non-responsive tongue. What would he. . . they do without her?

But that was not an issue. It was no longer the miko's problem.

"Fine," he grunted accepting the inevitable, yanking the girl roughly forward and depositing her on his back. Surprise etched itself on her face at his swift acceptance, but the brief glimpse of the look on his face ceased her response.

Taking a deep breath to clear his senses he unconsciously memorized the unique scent of Kagome, as he refused to acknowledge his stinging eyes. the hanyou pulled Kagome's legs tightly around him, startling her with his closeness. But he ignored her gasp as he would not have to worry about the consequences of such an action anyway.

Inuyasha felt the girl relax against his back, as she gently lifted his hair out of the way before twining her arms securely around his neck. Resting her dark head on his shoulder she attempted to meet his amber gaze. His golden orbs met her blue ones as he leapt from the rooftop with an audible flutter.

The sleeves of kimono and haori caught the night breeze and flared around them. Her fearless eyes remained glued to his face, and he had the unexplainable urge to touch her slightly parted lips with his own.

He was seconds away from surrender, his clawed feet lighting gently on the ground when she spoke.

"Come back with me."

He stumbled noticeably, his knees buckling beneath the weight of her whispered question. "W. . .What?" he muttered, mouth dry in disbelief. She wanted him to come with her? To her time? Was she crazy?!

The ramifications shouted at him as a brisk wind blew past and the girl on his back shivered. the movement sent bolts of unexpected heat coursing through him. Am I crazy? He couldn't believe he was actually considering it!

The light flutter of her fingers tucking his wayward silver locks behind his shoulder surprised him. Wench is getting way too comfortable with my hair, he mused with a smirk, but did not jerk away.

"Why the big decision?" Kagome asked, eyes widened with confusion.

Was she kidding? Though she'd spoken in a normal tone of voice Kagome's words sounded softer to his ears.

"We could come back in the morning," she allowed, though she had secretly yearned for a longer stay.

Come back in the morning. . .

The words did not sink in at first, and Inuyasha had not noticed that his breathing had escalated to an ironic dog-like pant until Kagome poked him not so delicately in the ribs.

The morning . . . .

She wanted to return in the morning. She didn't mean to leave! Not permanently anyway.

The knowledge flowed through him like the power of a Shikon jewel shard. Charging every part of him with the glorious realization, until a surprised laugh bubbled from his lips.

"Inuyasha?"

"I'll take you home, Kagome," he announced, allowing his hand to tentatively tilt her head towards his. He didn't stop until the petal soft skin of her cheek touched his in a rare display of affection.

Inuyasha suppressed his willingness to do more as the urge to share his embarrassing relief threatened to come forth. He was astonished when his paranoid mind whispered that he could express himself. Just this once.

And so he did.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

"Fool!" Naraku declared, his intense gaze riveted on the all to familiar scene unfolding in front of him. He saw more than just the pathetic dog hanyou and his ally reflected in the fogged glass, but a potential repeat of the dismal fate that had occurred years before.

A self-satisfying smirk broke his features as the images faded from the mirror's surface. Meeting Kanna's blank gaze he briefly questioned his incarnation about her previous mission. "Is this all you captured that is of significance?"

Her pale face did not react to his question and the long silence became answer enough for him. She's always thorough. "Did the detestable creature sense you?" Naraku had been slightly worried that the hanyou's irritating ability to smell anything within in a few miles radius would become a problem.

"He sensed my presence, but was not able to locate me," the whispered monotone reassured him, as the image of the disgruntled demon caused his smile to widen.

The resulting plan did not form slowly in his mind, though its implication would be complex. I must go about this slowly. Any signs of impatience would ruin the elaborate scheme. First things first. Any interference must be kept to a minimum. Which meant no loose ends. And there was one particularly irrational loose end currently fleeing from him upon the winds of Musashi.

Determined eyes considered the fragile beating heart contained in a small ceramic jar in the dark corner. The shadows crept slowly over his clearly indecisive face. He had never made an impulsive decision in his life, and would not begin now.

The wind witch had never returned after her latest betrayal, though he knew she was conscious of the fact that he could end her miserable life whenever he chose, no matter how fast she flew. So why did she not return and accept her fate? Stubborn bitch!

Naraku considered his least loyal incarnation for a long moment. He'd neglected to consider the woman's numerous other traits. Beautiful, conniving, and downright deadly when threatened. He was hesitant to let these rare qualities go to waste.

Kagura had not returned because she had weighed her options and decided that dying alone in flight from him was much better than the alternative. Returning to him and whatever memorable death he had planned. It was her only act of freedom. And he refused to let her have it.

She would serve until the very end. Unknowingly of course. It amused him to know how easily he could manipulate those around him. The woman wished to choose her own death. A quick squeeze of her traitorous youkai heart.

Naraku had something slightly more brutal in mind. Something Kagura would rebel against until her dying breath. A vision of torture so terrifying that the woman would bargain away what was left of her soul to stop it. Or at least reveal the wealth of secrets he was sure she kept, and he refused to allow her to take to the grave.

"Hakudoushi," Naraku summoned, smiling knowingly as the boy appeared before him, youki pulsing excitedly at the bloodshed to come.

"Have fun," he whispered, laughing aloud as the youkai disappeared with a blinding flash in his haste to track down his "entertainment".



~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Au thor's Notes

Sorry for the huge pause in writing. Life was. . . well kicking my ass to be honest. If you want the specifics check out my past journals on my deviant art account. If not then just enjoy the ride, cause I’m back (finally). With more than enough time to devote to writing now!

* * * Blanket Disclaimer: Inuyasha's mine? Keh! I wish! I'm just borrowing `em. * * *