InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Something to Protect - Echoes ❯ Giving In ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter nine
~*~*Giving In*~*~

There was a wild animal loose in her room.

Kagome knew the groggy assessment didn't make much sense as she was sure that she had fallen asleep safe within her own time and not in a haphazardly made camp 500 years before. But the irritating sounds interrupting her slumber seemed to be insisting otherwise.

Was that growling?

The groan she released was long and heartfelt, but did nothing to stop the noises and otherworldly snarling that persisted and even seemed to grow in volume. The monstrous sounds barely drowned out the shrill never ending screech that accompanied it.

You've got to be kidding me. "Go. . . away," she mumbled desperately.

Two years ago Kagome would have been shrieking at the top of her lungs to have awakened to a similar scene, but the noise sounded more annoyed than ferocious and that dwindled the choices considerably. Either an irritated woodland creature had managed to scurry from its forest home, scale the vertical wall that was the shrine, and haul itself into her room, or Inuyasha was about to get the osuwari of his life.

Knowing my life, either is entirely possible.

Pulling a fluffy pink pillow over her face, Kagome struggled to stay securely within the fragile realm between sleep and awake.

"Oi! Wench!" No such luck. "What the hell is that thing? Make it stop!"

The irritated girl slid the pillow to the side with a sigh tempted to do just that. But she didn't think Inuyasha would find a pillow jammed into his mouth very amusing. Though the thought alone was enough to make it worth it.

She cracked open a sleepy eyelid, attempting to identify what had evoked the hanyou's wrath. The offending object, still emitting its loud beeping, turned out to be the alarm on her nightstand. It was attempting to indicate that it was seven o'clock, a mere three hours after she'd fallen asleep, and time for her to rise for school. If she'd actually had any plans to attend.

Her waning gaze strayed to Inuyasha who looked as though he'd rather be faced with one hundred Narakus than be subjected to the high-pitched noise any longer. His furry white ears were lowered as far as they could possibly go and the threatening growl was still seeping out between his clenched teeth.

The downfalls of keen inu-youkai hearing. At least now I know what to do if I ever really need him to leave me alone.

“Kagome, make it stop or I will.” Inuyasha threatened, inching closer to the noise, his irritation growing by the second.

Any other day Kagome might've glared at the young man before rolling over and taking care of the matter herself, but the warm blanket over her aching limbs was just too comforting to ignore. Against her better judgment Kagome slid the pillow back into place over her drooping eyelids. "Fine," she muttered, hoping she hadn't made a terrible mistake.

The resulting attack nearly toppled her entire nightstand.

Hopes. Dashed.

She grit her teeth in mounting frustration as the sounds of claws on metal echoed throughout the small room.

Well Kagome what did you expect? Great now I'm criticizing myself,
she thought sarcastically as the screech miraculously continued.

After deciding that shredding the alarm clock obviously was not going to work, a noise that sounded distinctly like a smaller object being slammed against a significantly larger one filled her ears. Growling a few words she'd learned from the hanyou but would never admit to, she relented and gave Inuyasha her full attention.

"Tough little bastard," Inuyasha admitted, reaching back in preparation to crush the sturdy clock against the wall for the third time.

"Don't you dare!" Kagome threatened, dizzily shifting herself upright in an attempt to achieve maximum intimidation. "Mama will kill me if you put a hole in her wall."

"But you said. . ." the boy started then released an unearthly sound that could be classified as something between a yelp and a howl as the volume of the noise escalated suddenly.

Kagome winced as she remembered that she had set the clock to get louder when ignored for more than five minutes. Utter exhaustion usually had her ignoring the thing for the first few minutes, until the sound escalated to a volume that was so annoying that even she couldn't manage to sleep through it. Forgot about that.

This new turn of events did nothing to soothe the angered hanyou, whose ears were drooping so low that they almost blended into the locks of his hair.

"Inuyasha, wait!"

She was too late.

He pounced on the thing rolling around the room in an astonishingly quick blur of silver and red. Kagome silently thanked Kami that the impulsive boy didn't have Tetsusaiga strapped to his waist as she struggled to release herself from her mountain of blankets.

The miko attempted to capture him as he rolled past, careful of the tearing teeth and swiping claws.

"If you'd just let me. . ." her fingers reached and missed again as he continued his "battle" with the formidable appliance. Oh for the love of Kami!

Kagome watched as Inuyasha attempted to destroy it for what had to be the tenth time, but every time he grew close enough to do so the noise seemed to overwhelm him and he ended up batting the thing away from him.

Kagome was quickly losing what was left of her patience when Inuyasha managed to "corner" it against the wall beneath the window.

"Inuyasha, I can just. . ." The girl's eyes widened at the expression that crossed the boy's face. I know that look. In fact she was way too familiar with it. It was his "I found a very expedient yet completely illogical solution" look; A solution that was always guaranteed to be half-baked and completely destructive. She'd bet a shard of the Shikon jewel that he'd been sporting it when he'd used Wind Scar on that field of crops in the village.

She lunged across the room for him, attempting to stop whatever he had in mind. "Wait! It has an off. . ."

Too late.

Again.


He had the window open and was already pitching the expensive clock into space as she reached him.

". . . switch." She finished, cringing visibly as she heard the noise fade away to be concluded with a resounding crash.

Kagome resisted the urge to peer out the window and look at her shattered alarm. Instead she turned murderous eyes to the hanyou who had the nerve to look proud of his accomplishment.

His injured ears twitched like little radars, making sure that the sound was truly gone. Satisfied at its destruction they perked back up to their normal position.

Until they encountered the stormy blue eyes that were attempting to glare a hole straight through him. They seemed to almost pause half-mast as he fought the battle between fear and irritation.

"What?!" Inuyasha asked, annoyed that the girl seemed to have an issue with his preferred method of solving problems.

She closed her eyes in silent concentration. Just count to one hundred. Breathe and count. That's what all the therapists say. She seriously doubted that modern day therapists had encountered anything like Inuyasha but she thought it was worth a try. She inhaled rhythmically ignoring the look he was sending her.

Kagome resisted the urge to capture one of the swiveling appendages, instead she settled on shoving impulsive boy out of her way before crawling between her still warm blankets with an indulgent huff. Sleep was much more distant than it had been minutes ago, but she was determined to regain it or break something herself.

And it wouldn't be an alarm clock.


With one last glance at Inuyasha she let her lids slide shut willing him to remain silent for his own good.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Kagome attempted and failed to ignore the impatient tone of voice. Apparently the hanyou doesn’t know the meaning of self-preservation.

She knew from experience that ignoring him wouldn't work. In fact it seemed to be an excellent way to goad him into being more persistent.

"What does it look like I'm doing?” She asked simply, burrowing deeper within her cocoon a second time, attempting to annoy the surly hanyou with a confused look on his face.

"Being useless?” He guessed, arching a black eyebrow at her dark look.

"Useless?” She defended. "I don't see how I'm going to be of much use completely exhausted."

"You're barely useful anyways."

Kagome grit her teeth in growing anger. "So then you shouldn't care that I'm going tosleep.” She argued, smiling at the disgruntled look that crossed his face.

Far be it for Inuyasha to actually admit that he needs me.

"Keh! How can anyone sleep after that damn wake-up?” He asked jabbing an accusing finger towards the window where the remains of the alarm clock lay. She watched lazily as he inserted his other clawed finger into his ear as though dislodging the echoes of the annoying sound.

"Pretty easily actually," the sleepy girl assured him before rolling over to demonstrate.

"You can't be serious."

“Watch me."

Inuyasha rolled his amber eyes, sinking to his haunches in frustration. "Smartass," he mumbled smirking a bit at the small smile the girl was obviously trying to hide at his comment.

"Smart being the operative word, dog-boy," Kagome rebutted, swallowing the yawn that kept threatening to emerge.

Blessed silence followed her statement. For about three seconds.

"Kagome, we can't just sit here all day."

The girl in question opened her eyes in surprise. Inuyasha was leaning against her bed, his face mere inches from her own as he studied her quietly. Smothering a small sigh, Kagome attempted not to notice the signature pout that always caused her stomach to flutter oddly.

"Why can't we?” She asked genuinely curious to hear the answer he would give.

Inuyasha seemed to mull this question over, eyebrows knitting as he considered the novel idea. "Because…um…we can't."

His response sounded more like a question and Kagome's eyes widened as she took in his confused expression. The hanyou had always awoke them all at dawn for training or travel ever since she'd know him. But she had never actually thought about why until now.

How he ever just spent a day without the threat of Naraku or some other danger looming over his head? She was beginning to think that answer was a resounding no.

"You already agreed to stay here,” She reminded him subtly.

"You tryin' to make me regret it?"

"I'm just saying that we're staying here anyway, so there's no reason to go running off at the break of dawn." Kagome stated.

"What about your school thing?" Inuyasha asked hesitantly.

Kagome smiled at the small grimace that crossed his face as he said the word “school”.
No love lost there.


"Well I don't think that Mama would let me go to school looking like this," Kagome explained motioning to the bruises circling her neck. "I doubt even Jii-chan will be able to come up with a disease that makes you look as though you've almost been strangled."

Kagome winced at the brief flash of guilt that crossed his features before he attempted to make a decision. "So your big plan is to do nothing all day?"

"Oh no, I'm sure we'll do something," she qualified, "just nothing important." Kagome couldn't control her laughter any longer at the lost lookthat seemed permanently glued to his features. She could tell he was quickly becoming irritated at her and she managed to suppress it to a small giggle. The concept of simply doing nothing almost seemed to be too much for him.

"Besides we could both use the rest," she allowed, hoping he would see the potential benefits of her plan.

She couldn't stand his obvious confusion any longer and reached her hand from beneath the blanket to give his ears a comforting pat. Inuyasha's golden eyes widened in surprise, but he didn't jerk away from her touch.

"By “both” you really mean “you”," he smugly stated, attempting to fight the blush creeping over his skin as her patting turned into a lazy rub.

Kagome smiled as his soft ears continued to flick nervously beneath her fingers and wondered how long he would allow it to continue. Seeking to distract him, she smiled warmly at him and was rewarded by his wary look.

"I don't like that look."

Kagome gasped in mock offense. "You don't like it when I smile?"

Inuyasha rolled his eyes at her antics. "No, I just don't like that look. I always see it before you make me do something dumb."

"I never ask you to do anything dumb," Kagome defended.

"Keh! Yeah, what about when you made me lug all that crap back for Shippou?"

"It was his birthday!" Kagome qualified "besides it wasn’t that much stuff."

Inuyasha shot her a disbelieving look. "Damn near broke my back!" The hanyou winced at the memory. Kagome had accidentally discovered that youkai didn't celebrate birthdays and to rectify the great injustice done to her kit she had attempted to make up for all the ones he'd missed. The kitsune had received enough crayons, toys, and pocky to last him a lifetime. Well, a human lifetime anyway.

"That doesn't count. You didn't really mind," she said, her smile widening. "Admit it, you like Shippou."

"I tolerate the runt," Inuyasha growled refusing to meet her knowing gaze. "You gave me the same damn look when you told me I couldn't rip the shards out of that mangy wolf's legs."

"You know he'll give them to us when we ask."

"If Naraku hasn't killed him first."

Kagome rolled her eyes as she listened to his wistful tone of voice. "Kouga's too smart to let Naraku get his shards," she defended.

"That's debatable."

Kagome smiled as Inuyasha reluctantly let the topic go. Or so she thought. "There was that time you smiled at me and insisted that I cart you 100 miles only to forget the damn keys."

Her smiling eyes shifted to a glare at his words. "Inuyasha. . ." she warned.

"Now what was it you called me when that damn smile didn't work?"

Kagome’s gentle fingers flexed threateningly upon his head. Inuyasha winced but his infuriating smirk remained in place. "Careful wench," he mumbled.

Her grip loosened reflexively despite her anger, and her fingers slid unconsciously into his silver strands. "You act as though I manipulate you every time I smile." She was marveling at its softness and didn't feel Inuyasha's involuntary shiver as she sifted his hair between her fingers.

"No," he contradicted, "but you try."

Kagome could have sworn her heart missed a beat at Inuyasha’s openly teasing smirk and mysteriously husky voice. The small distance between them felt like mere inches as she attempted not to lose herself in the appraising look he was giving her.

What were we talking about again?


"So how do we do it?" The miko's eyes widened in astonishment as his words registered.

"D-Do it?" She repeated, her body suddenly acutely aware of him in such close proximity. His amazingly soft hair draped over her arm, and the blended scent of forest and fresh air that was purely Inuyasha. A lethargic heat flowed through her as her traitorous eyes refused to look way.

"Yeah it's not like I've ever done this before," Inuyasha reminded her.

I can't be
hearing him right. A blush crept slowly over her skin as the hanyou waited expectantly. I-I. . . but I haven't . ." Kagome started, surprised that she was even capable of speech.

Inuyasha cut her off with an exasperated roll of his eyes. "This was your idea, wench."

My idea?!


"If you want me to do it right, then you're going to have to show me how."

Show him?!


Kagome wondered if she had inherited her mother's tendency to repeat everything in the form of a question when shocked. Inuyasha didn't seem to notice her unease even when the rhythmic motion of her fingers ceased.

"You don't have to look that damn shocked," he grumbled, dislodging her hand with a practiced shake of his head. "We can always go back to my plan."

When she still didn't respond, his self-conscious nature fought its way to the surface.

"Hauling your ass out of bed is still an option. . . Damnit! K-Kagome, why the hell are you looking at me like that?"

Inuyasha, it seemed, had finally sensed her nervousness. Kagome’s mind hurried to catch up.

He wants to “do it”?

Her breath expelled from her lips in a halfhearted sigh as realization struck her. . . . finally.

He’s giving into my idea to rest!

Why the heck did I think he meant. . . something else God! First, Inuyasha's horrible vocabulary and now Miroku's hentai thoughts! If I start hitting people over the head with my bow like a certain taijiya I'm going to start to worry.


She knew he was staring at her as though she wascrazy, but she couldn't help pausing and thanking Kami she hadn't said something infinitely stupid. Like yes…or no. Kagome groaned inwardly. What's wrong with me?

"Sorry," she stammered, "just amazed you’re actually agreeing with me."

"Well cherish it woman cause it ain't happening often."

Kagome smirked at the comment, his familiar gruffness alleviating some of her embarrassment. "Have you ever even taken a break?" She asked skeptically.

Inuyasha folded his arms into the loose sleeves of his haori in rebellion. "Not like I could while watching you pathetic humans."

"Yeah, I know," she said sarcastically, "we'd be completely lost without you."

"Damn straight."

"Well I guess the first part of taking a break is getting some rest," Kagome explained.

"Don't feel like it," Inuyasha quipped.

"Well try."

"Why?"

"Because you don't know how to rest and I do."

Inuyasha watched warily as Kagome tossed one of her pillows onto the floor in front of him. "What am I supposed to do with this?” He asked skeptically as he toed it.

"Sleep on it," Kagome said simply.

"But what's it for?"

"It makes it more comfortable." She watched as he inspected the pillow in question, poking it with a sharpened claw, a bewildered look on his face. Kagome rolled her eyes, patience at an end.

"Inuyasha do you really want my help?"

The irritated look he shot her only strengthened her resolve.

"Keh! I guess so. . ."

"Osuwari."

Inuyasha released a startled yelp as his unsuspecting body jerked to the ground. Kagome ignored his emphatic growls that were thankfully muffled by the pillow. Reaching to the foot of her bed Kagome snagged her spare blanket and draped it over the squirming hanyou.

Inuyasha went suspiciously still at the gesture. Kagome watched warily as the struggling boy’s breathing slowed then miraculously evened out.

Is he angry?


Minutes passed in silence and no one was more surprised than Kagome when the soft rumbling of contented sleep penetrated the room.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

She was being watched.

Sango was sure she hadn’t imagined the feeling this time.

The taijiya paused briefly to block outthe downward sweep of Miroku's staff before returning her attention to the all-too-familiar sensation. Where is it coming from? She saw no signs of anyone else, but in a world filled with predators, youkai, and a plethora of other creatures, she knew that that observation meant nothing.

Her inattention would cost her.

Sango released a startled shriek as Miroku's staff caught the sensitive spot behind her knees.

What the. . ?


She found herself sprawled in front of the monk wondering how she had allowed herself to be distracted to the point of defeat. Blowing her bangs out of her deep brown eyes Sango shot Miroku an indignant look at the obvious satisfaction he was trying and failing to hide.

Leave it to Miroku to take advantage of the situation.


The feeling was probably well deserved as she had been training relentlessly ever since her return to her ancestral village. Having Miroku as her sparring partner had seemed a given as they had awoke to find Kagome and Inuyasha strangely absent. The impulsive hanyou has probably dragged the poor girl off somewhere.

The unfortunate monk would be covered in bruises by days end if she kept up the mind blowing pace she had begun. Becoming lost in her training seemed to be the easiest way to conquer the sadness eating away at her.

So her fall from grace had produced a small smirk on her friend’s features. She knew it was her own fault, but her warrior's spirit was clamoring to make it disappear. Preferably with a well-placed punch or roundhouse.

Tossing her high ponytail back over her shoulder where it belonged,Sango attempted to rise from the ground with as much dignity as possible. His helping hand went ignored and Miroku ran it through his hair with a slightly abashed grin. The self-sufficient girl dusted off her training gear only to wince as her bruised tailbone made itself known.

"Have I injured you, Sango?" A flicker of guilt crossed Miroku’s face and against better judgment he reached shaking fingers to rub the tender area on her lower back.

Oh my God! What is he doing?
Shock warred with pleasure and in the end Sango watched the monk closely, convinced that his attention was at least partially a ploy to get him a step closer to his goal.

To her surprise he seemed to be legitimately concerned. His ministrations were soft, gentle, and a bit distracting. Which was why Sango didn't hear his whispered words.

"W-What did you say?" She stammered uncomfortably, her skin seeming to heat even beneath the fabric of her uniform.

"I apologize," he repeated softly, his words at odds with the knowing look in his violet eyes. "Sometimes I forget."

The girl stood transfixed momentarily as the unusually husky sound of his voice left her strangely breathless. Combined with the feelings his hand wasevoking, Sango found it a little difficult to concentrate.

Okay more than a little difficult, she acknowledged reluctantly.


"You forget what?” She asked quietly.

"That although you are one of the greatest fighters I have ever known, you very certainly possess the body of a woman."

Sango was tempted to ask just what he meant by that comment, but his tone made her pause. Do I even want to know what he meant? She thought ruefully, her mind lingering on the way his rubbing had changed to almost acaress as he spoke.

Sango fought the strange urge to take a step closer to him. Should I discourage him? I mean. . . I should discourage him! . . . right? She had done so often enough over the past years that it had become second nature.

The taijiya had always ignored the tiny voice in her mind that attempted to convince her to do otherwise. But lately it was stronger than normal. Whispering for her to act before it was too late. Before he was taken from her as well.

The look in his amethyst colored orbs was causing the warmth that usually rose to her cheeks at his words to seep lower, deeper, and she shuddered at the sensation. Miroku seemed to sense the change within her and he drew her closer still.

"H-Houshi-sama. . ." she murmured softly, in hopes that her senses would return. His fingers were gripping the small of her back in a way that was completely inappropriate, but sent the most thrilling waves of heat pulsing through her.

"Yes, Sango?" the monk questioned huskily, his breath brushing gently over her slightly parted lips.

She gasped at the feeling, tongue darting out to lick her lips nervously. Her mind was suspiciously blank as she struggled to remember why she had said his name in the first place. His touch confused her. Which was probably the main reason she had avoided it in the past. She needed to remain focused. And the irrational way he made her feel. . . well, focused was the last thing he made her feel.

"Why are you doing this?" Sango didn't realize she was going to ask the question until it had already left her lips. The smile Miroku flashed her, she was sure had melted many a girl's heart.

"Doing what?” He asked, smiling at the disgruntled look that crossed her face.

Sango sighed loudly pulling subtly against his embrace. Miroku, anticipating her need for space, loosened his grip but did not released her.

"Making me feel this way," she finished quietly.

Concern filled his gaze at the unfamiliar look of defeat in the slayer's eyes. "I make you feel what way?" Miroku asked, all traces of seduction replaced by vulnerability.

The woman opened her mouth to respond only to be interrupted by a flash of familiar red haori. "Oi! Lech! Get your hands off her!" Sango winced at the interruption, stumbling clumsily out of the comfortable embrace.

Inuyasha landed nimbly beside them, completely ignoring Miroku’s look of innocence. "Leave you alone with her for one night and you forget all about the last time she kicked your ass." The boy rolled his eyes in disgust before heading into the hut they had vacated the night before.

The sounds of determined rummaging and frustrated hanyou quickly followed, the noises growing louder as he obviously couldn’t find what he was looking for.

Sango fought the blush that was quickly overtaking her. How much had Inuyasha seen? If he realized that I had been one caress away from giving into Miroku's advances, I'll never hear the end of it!

She peeked from beneath her bangs at the monk at her side and was surprised to see his teasing smirk mysteriously absent. His gaze was completely focused on her as if he were struggling to understand something that was just barely out of his reach. Sango turned away from his unnerving stare.

"Inuyasha? Where's Kagome-chan?"

"Where the hell did she put that thing?!" Inuyasha grumbled, effectively ignoring his startled companions.

A surprised “eep” caused the noises inside to cease momentarily.

Guess Shippou's awake.
Sango thought wryly.

"Move it runt, you're in the way." That declaration heralded the return of the crashing noises as the sleepy kit attempted to remove himself from Inuyasha's path.

"You're so mean! I didn't even do anything." From what Sango could hear it didn't sound as though the hanyou had even acknowledged the statement.

Miroku shot her a knowing look. "Maybe we should stop him before he destroys everything?"

Sango shrugged lightly. "You're welcome to try."

"Um. . .Inuyasha," Miroku started, "I believe Sango asked you what you did to Kagome-sama." Sango winced at his particular phrasing.

Another suspicious thump followed that declaration. "Aaaah! My pocky!" Shippou shrieked his drowsy tone fading away as he struggled to save his precious snack from near destruction.

"Why the hell do you guys always think I did something to her?" Inuyasha snapped overturning the miko's sleeping bag in his search.

"Well. . ." Miroku hedged, glancing at Sango for help. She sent him a look that clearly meant he was on his own.

"Well what, bouzu?" Inuyasha challenged at the monk's apparent silence.

Miroku remained wisely quite, but Shippou seemed happy to oblige. "It's because you make her cry and then she runs back home to get away from you.”

Sango's hand flew to her mouth to stifle the snicker threatening to escape. She didn't know if the menacing growl that had begun was aimed at the kitsune or the object he obviously couldn't find. Miroku seemed to believe it to be the former.

"Don't be crossed with Shippou, Inuyasha.” He lectured. "We just woke to find you both missing and assumed the worst."

"Well you’re wrong," Inuyasha clarified. "I didn't do a damn thing."

"Would you mind me asking where Kagome-sama has run off to then?"

Inuyasha looked abashed at the question and was glad that the monk was outside the hut and couldn't see him. Shippou on the other hand was one snicker away from getting booted out the door.

"She went home."

"Oh," Miroku commented casually as if not to incur the hanyou’s wrath, "but I thought you said you didn't do anything."

"I didn't!"

"But she went home?"

"Yeah"

"But you didn't do anything?"

"Damnit that's what I said."

"Yes but," Miroku started, but was cut off by Inuyasha's halfhearted explanation.

"Weak woman missed her family, so she went home."

They seemed to absorb this announcement slowly. Miroku nodded in agreement with the miko's feelings. "That's understandable. She hasn't been home in weeks."

Inuyasha frowned at the comment.

Sango was the first to send Miroku a disheartened look. The monk didn't even pretend not to see the worry in her eyes as he knew exactly what she was thinking. Inuyasha was definitely not happy. Which meant that the time they had to look forward to with him would probably be less than pleasant. But they wisely kept this little revelation to themselves.

Shippou apparently had yet to learn his lesson or was so distressed over Kagome's absence that he didn't care what he said. "Does that mean we're stuck with you?” He complained, irritation plainly evident.

"That's it, brat!"

Sango winced as she heard him lurch for the escaping fox demon. "Aaaah Kagomeeeee!" Shippou cried, more from reflex than anything else. A distinctive thump reached their ears before an indignant kitsune was forcefully ejected out the door to land in front of his two friends.

Shippou sent the hut a withering glare before shoving the last of his pocky into his mouth with a pitiful sniffle.

"Where the hell is Kagomes bag?!" Inuyasha literally growled, peeking his head from behind the tatami mat door.

"Her bag?" Miroku repeated curiously.

"Yes bouzu, her bag. You know,the freakishly large yellow monstrosity she lugs around." The monk laughed softly at his description.

"Is that what you're in there looking for?" Sango asked with a growing smile.

"No I thought I'd just rip apart the hut for fun," Inuyasha retorted with a roll of his eyes

"It's in the corner, baka," Shippou declared, pout still glued securely to his small face. Inuyasha disappeared back inside momentarily before emerging with his prize strapped securely to his back.

"Why do you need Kagome's bag?" Shippou accused.

Inuyasha sent Shippou a glare of his own before replying. "The woman can't survive without this damn bag, no matter what century she's in."

Sango took in his defensive tone and deduced that the young man just didn't have the patience for running errands that didn't end with him being able to use Tetsusaiga.

"So when will she be returning?" Miroku asked a little too eagerly.

Sango sent him a pointed look at his eagerness, not sure if the monk did not wish to be left alone with Inuyasha or had simply had enough of her endless training.

Luckily the hanyou didn't pick up on it, his thoughts clearly elsewhere. "I'm staying too," he stated glancing away quickly.

They were clearly surprised at his announcement. "But you hate Kagome's time," Shippou wondered aloud.

The reminder seemed to irritate Inuyasha. Watching as he shifted the weight of his bag silently, Sango realized with a bit of shock that the boy was nervous. Is he fidgeting? She watched with eyebrows raised as he refused to meet their gaze.

Miroku seemed to notice as well, sending her a small smirk as he silently weighed the consequences of commenting on Inuyasha's discomfort. Discomfort most likely in the form of a joke completely at the hanyou's expense.

Sango saved them both with a small shake of her head. Kagome won't be here to save him and I really don't think Inuyasha will find me the least bit intimidating in the mood he's in.

Crisis averted,her thoughts soon turned to her own worries. She didn't know how to feel about this new development. I hadn't planned to stay here this long. Her eyes strayed to the grave site that dotted the perimeter of the village. Coming back here had seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Why are you staying?” She asked, attempting to divert her mind from her unpleasant thoughts.

The group listened intently as Inuyasha explained the series of robberies Kagome's family had endured. Sango’s heart went out to the girl. She knew exactly what it felt like to have her home violated.

"So you're staying until you catch the thief?" Shippou asked, the disappointment poorly masked in his voice.

Inuyasha shrugged, the large bag shifting yet again to his annoyance. "I dunno. Depends on how long it takes I guess."

"And what about Naraku?" Miroku asked. “Should we follow any leads we get on him?"

The hanyou looked torn by the question. His body literally wanting to be in two places at once. In the end he uttered a small sigh of defeat. "No. Don't do anything until we get back." The boy sent the monk an indulgent smirk. “Kagome would kill me if you guys got yourselves killed while we were gone."

Sango was slightly confused by his amusing statement. "Why would it be your fault if something happened? Does Kagome not wish to stay in her time?"

Inuyasha began heading down the trail that would take him back to the Bone Eater's well. "Doesn't matter," he threw over his shoulder, "somehow it'd be my fault anyway."

The girl rolled her eyes at his insane logic.

"I'm not eating dirt cause you guys can't stay put," he threatened mildly, giving the rosary around his neck a pointed jerk.

Shippou stuck out his tongue at the young man's retreating back, assured that what Inuyasha couldn’t see couldn’t hurt him.

Inuyasha stopped moving abruptly, his senses on high alert. Shippou, afraid that he was the cause of the hanyou’s sudden halt, stumbled back to put a little more distance between himself and the hanyou.

"What is it?" Sango asked, recognizing his particular stance, even with the massive knapsack on his back. She clutched Hiraikotsu to herself reflexively, as though just gripping the weapon could ward off any incoming doom.

"Is it Naraku?" Miroku asked, staff clinking rhythmically as he walked to stand next to his rigid companion.

"No," Inuyasha clarified "not Naraku."

"Then what is it, baka?" Shippou asked trembling slightly, his fear growing at the unnerving way Inuyasha remained absolutely motionless. Something seemed to almost be attacking his sensitve senses, freezing him cold in his tracks.

"Blood," he revealed quietly, finally regaining his ability to speak, "Human blood. And not just a little of it." The entire group gazed dejectedly at the horizon as the youki of not one, but many youkai floated towards them on the traveling wind.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~** ~**~
Author's NotesHope you guys like the update! Thanks for all you’re great reviews. I’m not sure how authors can respond to them, since I don’t know anyone’s email. Maybe I’ll start posting them in my author’s notes if you guys don’t mind. Chapter 10 will delve a little deeper into the characters minds, and then comes the action! Don’t forget to check out my deviantart page. www.angelswrath.deviantart.com * * Blanket Disclaimer: Inuyasha's mine? Keh! I wish! I'm just borrowing `em.**