InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Strength of Bond ❯ School ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Gomen ne! I knew I would be busy this semester, which is why I gave you all 3 full chapters before I disappeared for awhile. Trust me on the fact that I was hoping that I would have time to write, and I do… writing essays and a whole lot more that is unrelated to fanfiction. Gomen gomen. For all my fans I hope you enjoy this chapter… gives a bit more information about miko, the council, and of course the Shikon no Tama.
 
Warning: None.
 
Chapter 17
 
Kagome shifted uneasily under the piercing eye of her teacher. Her brown loafer shoes scuffed against the tile floor, and her eyes focused at anything other than the hunched over woman with one eye. Was she going to be lectured for being late this morning? Would she get a detention because of her tardiness? Could she kill Inuyasha for putting her in this position?
 
Kaede, wearing an outfit of a shrine priestess, smiled wryly at the nervous girl. “I am most surprised to see that particular hanyou with a mate such as you. When I had first met him, I was sure he would choose my cousin's daughter, Kikyou. I see that at least he has some brains left in that thick skull of his.”
 
Her mouth dropped open in surprise. She knew Inuyasha from more than six years ago, but how was that possible if said hanyou disliked people in general? Not only that, she was related to Kikyou? Could this woman really related to that bi… eh… woman? She was too stunned to even admit a chuckle at the insult to her mate.
 
“No matter. Before I introduce you to the class a few ground rules, Kagome-san. Number one: Make sure you attend class on time in the future. I know that more than just the principle brought you late to my classroom.” The predicted blush fluttered over the girl's cheeks as she continued, “Number two: Do not allow your mate to siphon energy off before class days ever again. Today you are lucky that we will not be doing anything much with your powers, otherwise serious consequences would arise. In the future, just don't come to class. Inuyasha is a rather determined sort which he no doubt got from his father's side. Third, you are the only soul bond in this homeroom class. As such, many of the things I teach will have to be modified for your particular abilities. Furthermore, every Saturday after class, until I deem necessary, will be dedicated to instructing you and your bonded. Lastly, do make sure that you do not, under no circumstances, reveal that necklace you are wearing in this school.”
 
Kagome's mouth gaped open even further. She looked like a fish for several long moments as she tried to digest all the information she had just been bombarded with. Her cheeks bled crimson at the obvious truths that the old miko had hit upon. Would she get into too much trouble if she just maimed her bonded? Death seemed too easy a fate at that moment for the insufferable hanyou. She blinked as the woman continued, destroying her thoughts on how to torture her mate.
 
“There are good and evil miko, and trust me when I say that the Council ignores this idea. There are not enough instructors for miko and houshi, and thus it is always a big possibility that you may end up with a dark miko. It is for the best that, until the Council deems it necessary to reveal the jewel, you should keep it hidden for your own safety as well as my class. Now let me introduce you to your classmates.”
 
The elderly teacher opened the door into the classroom, and motioned her to follow into the room. Rows upon rows of pillows were aligned upon the floor with small girls each perched on their own. There were a total of twenty young girls each wearing an assortment of seeraa fuku from various different schools around the Tokyo metropolis. She wondered why this was, but her thoughts were disrupted by Kaede addressing the students.
 
“Class, I would like to introduce you to Taishou, Kagome. Taishou-san is our final student to join our class. I'm sure most of you may remember her from the Ceremony a week and a half ago. She is the only soul bond formed this year. Taishou-san have a seat on the pillow behind Kaiko-san. Kaiko-san raise your hand please.”
 
A small timid girl raised her hand from the floor, and Kagome was ushered slowly to her seat. She sat down gracefully, well as gracefully as one could do in a school uniform with an extremely short skirt. Once she was seated comfortably, with her legs together and off to the side, she glanced around the room. The class, as a whole, were all young girls, the eldest no more than thirteen and the youngest ten. She was the oldest person in the class. Was she in the right class?
 
“Now for the past week we have been talking specifically on the intricacies of a blood bond. This will be on your first test,” Kaede spoke to the class.
 
A murmur of whispers filtered through the room at the mention of a test. For herself, Kagome was rather a bit pale and more than a little in shock. She hadn't even been here for those classes and she already had a test? Life was just not fair to her, was it?
 
“Your first test will be Monday. That is six days away ladies, and before Taishou-san becomes faint- this particular part of the test is only for blood bonded students in this class. That being said, I will tell you basically what this test will entitle. On test day, you will all be tested by paper which is then followed by a power analysis. You cannot prepare for that, so do not become all worried about it.”
 
The young girls in the class groaned, and nonetheless, exchanged worried glances with each other. What would they test them on? Would they have to know spells? Would they do something similar to a physical or maybe a psychiatric test? Many other such questions ran through the students and her own mind. Did Kaede just say that she would be tested too?
 
“Today's classes will be based on the soul bond in light of our new student. You do not need to take notes, except for Taishou-san as these will be on your test on Monday. Most of this week will be devoted to meditation, lectures, and activities to help myself gather an idea of where your miko power strength may lie. After your test, you will receive your uniforms, which are based upon the type of strength for your powers. There are six classes: Hoken'i, Semete, Bouei, Gishikiyou, Rinshoushinrishi, and Fuhenteki Miko.”
 
Murmurs filled the room at the various titles that they could end up being. Kagome for her part was quite unsure why their uniforms would be based upon the different classes. Was it for better identification of the students with the faculty? Or was there another reason? At least, now she knew why all the girls wore different uniforms.
 
“The traditional apple-red neck tie, white blouse, and school crest will remain for all students. Hoken'i Miko will wear a version of the seeraa fuku with a dark forest green skirt and sailor collar. They specialize in healing wounds and physical injuries for all species. Semete Miko will wear blood red instead of green and they specialize in battle magic, fighting, and purification. Bouei Miko wear dark brown and are best at barriers and protection. Gishikiyou Miko wear purple and are best at shrine dances and ceremonial performances. Rinshoushinrishi Miko wear midnight blue and are best at consoling, telepathy, and empathy. Finally the Fuhenteki Miko wear black and typically have strengths in multiple fields that they cannot be classed under just one heading.”
 
Fuhenteki? Universal? Thinking back, she recalled that her mother excelled most at the two forms of healing, mental and physical. Would that have made her a Fuhenteki Miko when she had attended school? And how would they test to see how you would be good at one form of magic and not another? Was it really fair to make such limitations on the students by preventing them from choosing what they wanted to do? Once again, she found she disliked the Council and their methods. What was so wrong with deciding your own fate?
 
Kaede moved to a large pillow on the floor and took a seat. She scanned over the class a moment to let them absorb the information before she began again. “Therefore, your actual lessons will not begin until after you are placed into your field of strength. You will then begin basic lessons and then tested for grade level in late March, when the normal school year begins. We shall, however, remain as your primary class and homeroom. Any questions and problems should be addressed to myself. School clubs will be required as in a normal school, but those will begin after the next school year begins.”
 
Clubs? What kind of clubs would a school like this have? Botany? Tea Ceremonies? She hadn't seen a practice field for sports, so did that mean they wouldn't have to have physical recreation? She, herself, had been in the folk song club and Archery. She sang… okay, but she was really in that club because her friends had dragged her off to it. Besides, they didn't have to preform for anyone, so it was fine to be an adequate singer. As for Archery, she was really good at that, but not good enough to have won any awards or recognition. But what would she do here? She didn't really have any skills to work with and she doubted they had an archery facility.
 
Kaede cleared her throat and finished with, “Now we shall begin with meditation and exercises. After lunch we will discuss Soul Bonding. We will then conclude with another meditation and another set of exercises.”
 
Music popped out of no where, startling Kagome. Where was it coming from? Soft gentle words were spoken by the instructor, and she finally focused upon the task at hand. She would just have to face her worries at another time. Thankfully this she could do without a problem. She had been forced to mediate, since she was a child thanks to her jii-chan. Soon, the class fell into a deep meditation, the sound of the music drowning out the calming breaths of the inhabitants of the classroom.
 
~~~-~~~
 
The girls broke for lunch. Kagome sat there in embarrassment. She had completely forgotten to bring a lunch and/or money. Her mother had typically done that for her, but now she lived with Inuyasha. It had completely spaced her mind that she had to now provide herself with meals. Would she be able to afford making her lunches or buying them from the vending machines? Where would she get the money to pay for them? There had been no discussion on income, and now she had to wonder if she would starve to death.
 
The door to the classroom slammed open, and she jumped at the loud, harsh sound. All of the girls also jumped at the sound. She turned her gaze to the door, her mouth dropping similarly to the rest of the class as they gaped at the man… uh, hanyou, that stood in the doorway. Her face pinked as her bonded stalked into the room, an obentou clasped in one hand and a milk tea in the other. The girls' followed him by eye to the startled teenager. He dropped the said items in her lap, paused a moment, leaned over and pecked her on the cheek with his lips, and then stalked from the room.
 
The door slammed closed, and silence descended upon the room. Twenty pairs of eyes focused on the flustered girl, who seemed to be a bit out of it. Moments later, the room exploded into sound as all the girls made their way to Kagome. Soon the poor girl was surrounded by the entire class, each one asking questions about the man. She hesitantly answered what she could and would deem appropriate to reply to. An instant class popularity as these girls made her their new hero.
 
~~~-~~~
 
Kaede stood in front of the chalk board, the pillows had been changed to school desks after lunch. Now the students were taking notes, spacing out, or passing notes with their cell phones. “Starting tomorrow, we will begin to harness your powers. I do hope you all practiced your meditations. You must realize that your powers, though strong enough to be blood bound, are not powerful enough to use without training and hard work. Your mind, body, and spirit have to be in control in order to become a successful miko. I will also remind you, that should you not be able to do something, do not fret. Most miko will tend to specialize in a few areas, but not in others. Fushi-san and Chiki-san please put away your keitai. It may be acceptable in your old school to not pay attention, but not in my classroom.” Said girls, groaned and turned off their cell phones and put them back into their book bags.
 
“Now lets begin by talking about the soul bond. A soul bond is the most powerful bonding for miko and houshi. This bonding was discovered by the founder of the Magera Council, Midoriko. Midoriko was a warrior miko, born in an upper class feudal family in the twelfth century. Her mate was a hanyou, a rarity in that time. In fact, hanyou were hunted by humans and youkai so extensively that most never survived past childhood. Fushinjin was a feline hanyou and was one of the few that survived to adulthood. Midoriko is recorded to have tamed the wildness of his nature and healed the much abused heart and soul of the hanyou. Together, they established the Council of Magera so that all people would be equal and that the fight between the species would finally cease.”
 
“Fighting?” asked one girl.
 
“Youkai and humans did not get along. In fact, the two species had made it their priority to eliminate the other. These battles were costly to both sides and bathed the lands in blood. It was Midoriko's hope to bridge the hate gap and bring peace to the people. Not only that, but she wished to help save hanyou from extermination by both species. Sadly, Midoriko and Fushinjin, would not see the fruits of their labor. Seven years after the establishment of the council, which originally had only five members: one youkai, one miko, one hanyou, one houshi, and one human. There was a youkai challenge to the authority of the council. In a battle of man and demon, Midoriko and Fushinjin sacrificed their lives to save the rest. Four souls were thus entrapped inside a large jewel called the Shikon no Tama. These four souls were Midoriko, Fushinjin, the Youkai known as Aku, and a human warlord Jashin. After the battle and the sacrifices made for peace, the most powerful and eldest youkai lord, The Inu no Taishou, reformed the Council ten years later. Ever since, the council has not been disrupted, but that doesn't mean that things were as they are now.”
 
Inu no Taishou? Inuyasha's family? Was he related to the man who reformed the council? Then she remembered back to the time when she was introduced to Inuyasha's brother, Sesshoumaru. The incident with Naraku and Kikyou where he had announced himself as the new Inu no Taishou. She swallowed hard. She was married into the most powerful youkai family! What did that make Inuyasha? What did that make her? Would this pose an even greater problem with the people? After all, Inuyasha is not only hanyou, but he's from a youkai family. With his family in possession of the Shikon no Tama, would war break out over her? She shook her head. That wouldn't happen, would it?
 
“It would take two hundred years for miko and houshi to stop killing any and all youkai and hanyou upon encounter. It would take nearly seven hundred years before youkai and humans would co-exist without trying to kill each other at every turn. It would take eight hundred years it to become illegal to kill hanyou by the youkai laws. It will take many more years, however, for hanyou to be fully accepted by all in the community. I hope to impress upon you that hanyou and youkai are not evil. Humans are not all good, and the same principle can be defined to other species. All of you have already seen a hanyou today, as Taishou-san is mated to one. Therefore, I must ask that you keep racist and racial remarks to yourself if you have a problem with hanyou. It will not be accepted in this or any other class.”
 
The students exchanged glances with one another. Most of them really had no opinion one way or the other about hanyou or youkai as they were raised in a human dominated framework life. The introduction to youkai and hanyou really only sparked curiosity toward their own bonded. Luckily, no person in the class seemed to have any problems with hanyou based on that they were too young or not informed about the racial slurs between the species. “Now to explain what a soul bond is,” Kaede continued. “Taishou-san please come to the front of the class.”
 
Kagome stood from her seat and slowly made her way to the front of the class.
 
“Lower your shirt collar to show where your mark is.”
 
She blushed, but lowered the edge of her shirt to expose the kanji upon her shoulder. The girls in the class gasped and stood up to take a closer look at the silvery, ever changing color of the Kanji for Inuyasha's name.
 
“The mark on her neck is strictly species specific. Taishou-san is bonded to an inu-hanyou, which I'm sure many of you observed at the lunch hour. Canine and feline mark their mates at the neck. A symbol or a name may be formed there. Bird youkai mark under the wing or arm. Reptilian and amphibian mark on the inner thigh. Insects mark at the elbow or joint structure of an arm. The other mammalian species mark on the hip or on the back. Lastly, fish youkai mark on the palm of the hand or a fin. This mate marking can be by scent, abrasion to the skin such as a bite or wound, and touch. Once marked by a youkai or hanyou, a female and male mate will never be marked by another.”
 
The class seemed to nod in understanding, while Kaede continued on, “That's fine, Taishou-san. Please turn around and lift up the back of your shirt for the class.”
 
Confused and embarrassed, Kagome turned and placed her back to the class. She gently lifted up the bottom of her shirt in back, to expose the creamy soft color of her lower back. Kaede then moved forward and gently pressed a finger at the small of the girl's back. A red glow appeared and a small tattoo appeared on her back.
 
“The symbol here on Taishou-san's back is the actual soul bond mark. It is unique to each pairing and both members have it on their backs. Sometimes the mark is visible after initial bonding, but often times it is not visible. The soul bond mark's purpose is to remove other potential and jealous mates from ever hurting or claiming a bonded. If one such tries, the power of the mark will kill the perpetrator. Soul bonding is a five day cross-over period. After the completion of the bond the mark between the species will appear. The soul bond mark over time, on the other hand, will begin to show and grow darker and more permanent upon the skin the longer one is bonded. Taishou-san and her bonded have probably not even had the opportunity to see the mark, as their bond is still so new. But the longer the bond and the stronger the emotional and spiritual connection becomes between the bonded, the mark will become more prominent. Think of it as your own personal tattoo, without all the pain of a needle.”
 
The girls in the class giggled. “Thank you Taishou-san, you may return to your seat.”
 
Kagome quickly rushed to her seat, her cheeks a flaring red. At least she wasn't being teased. Now if her school friends new about her being… uh married… to anyone they would have a fit. Wonder what they are doing now without her? Probably trying to counsel each other and debating on what illness her grandfather has created for her. Since she was a child, whenever she was absent from school, her grandfather took it upon himself to make up illnesses, even when she usually only just had a simple cold. Wonder how the family is doing without her around?
 
“Now enough of this, let's begin some simple exercises in finding your spiritual energy or Ki. If you get proficient enough I may even get around to telling you how to cast an illusion spell.”
 
One of the girl's raised her hand. “What for?”
 
“Well, we can't have youkai and hanyou running around without an illusion spell to conceal their less than human appearance. It would make the populous nervous not to mention panicked if they knew demons were real. We wouldn't want such a thing to happen, now would we? Besides, it's rather disconcerting to see someone slithering down the street for magical and non-magical beings alike.”
 
~~~-~~~
 
“I hate school,” Kagome grumbled as she exited her classroom to bump into her bonded.
 
Inuyasha glanced down at the forlorn girl who had immediately wrapped her arms around his waist upon crash. He wasn't sure if he should make fun of her or comfort her. He opened his mouth to make a comment, when Kaede stepped out the door.
 
“Kagome-san, Inuyasha. I moment please.” She motioned the pair back into the classroom.
 
With a sigh, Inuyasha shuffled him and his mate into the room. The desks and chairs had been moved to the far side of the room and three large pillows were in the middle of the floor. What did the old hag want to talk about now? He brought Kagome lunch, so she didn't starve. He hadn't really insulted the wind-bag more than he usually did. Not to mention he could always blame the principal for holding them up and making the girl late to class.
 
“Have a seat.” Kaede took her place upon the pillow facing the other two, her expression stern and unyielding.
 
“What do you have to talk to us about, babaa?” Inuyasha grumbled as he lowered Kagome onto one pillow and himself onto another. He had a feeling he wasn't going to like this meeting.
 
“You are a soul bonded pair.”
 
“So?”
 
“It means that we will need to conduct classes outside of school for awhile. You see the techniques we teach are geared toward blood bonded pairs as soul bonds are rather rare. Some years there aren't even any soul bonds. Therefore, as her instructor it is my duty to help her and yourself build your power and strengthen your bond.”
 
Kagome looked up. “So my utterly, pathetic attempt at the exercises this afternoon were do to the different bond?”
 
“Yes and no. The things I taught about spiritual awareness and how to draw it out is true for all bonds.”
 
Her shoulders sagged slightly.
 
“The concepts and the idea behind them and how they apply to you, however, were wrong. I felt that it was rather inappropriate to further embarrass you and my class of your… unique situation. A soul bond is a very serious matter, but as young girls go… a bad idea to talk about to a great extent. Therefore, in this classroom I will speak strictly of the regulations I am to teach. On your own time, however, you and I will meet outside of class where I can teach you what you really need to know. For instance, what your connection is to Midoriko and the Shikon no Tama.”
 
“How do you know about that, babaa?!” snarled Inuyasha. He was right, he hated this conversation.
 
“I am the head historian for the Magera Council and before this position I was once the High Miko. Next to the Holy Child, I am the only person who can answer questions concerning it and you. I will therefore, schedule a session each week to help the pair of you explore this unique addition to your bond.” She rose from the ground and continued, “I believe Saturday afternoon at your home will be best. Now about your session today, Kagome-san…”
 
The girl winced as if the memory of the afternoon was far too painful to recall.
 
“That was not completely your fault.”
 
The girl's eyes widened. “What do you mean it wasn't entirely my fault?”
 
“Unlike a blood bond, where small quantities of power is siphoned off, a soul bond tends to take varying quantities, typically in large portions. The fault, therefore, lies mostly in Inuyasha.”
 
“Nani?! I was doing what I was supposed to do! What the hell are you talking about, Babaa?!” He had jumped to his feet to glare down at the small woman. Anger radiated out from his aura in threatening waves.
 
“It's not like you can control how much to extract from the girl, hanyou. Not yet, at least. Thus, you will also attend these sessions on Saturdays with your mate, so that you can better control how much energy you can take. Lastly, you will not siphon off energy on or before a class day, until you can control the quantity of energy you extract.”
 
“You can't tell me when or how much I do THAT with my mate, babaa!” he roared, his eyes flickering between gold and red. “She is mine to do-”
 
“Osuwari!” The area around the hanyou's neck, beneath his red shirt and black leather jacket, glowed, and a cursing hanyou continued to rage face down into the floor. Kagome's cheeks were scarlet as she bowed and apologized profusely to her teacher.
 
“You may continue to keep… your habits, Kagome-san, just remind the pup to not to siphon your energy off before class. If it happens again… do not, I repeat, do not come to class. I will not have my student in danger in my classroom nor in danger of others outside your home.”
 
She turned and pulled a paper from her desk. “This is for Inuyasha to take to his office of supervisors stating that until further notice he is relieved of work on Saturdays. He will remain with you all day, including coming to school with you.”
 
“But won't that cause a problem in the class. He is a hanyou, after all, not to mention a boy.”
 
“It will, but I have special exercises I will have you conduct. Besides, the girls always need a person to practice on.”
 
“I am not coming!” came the retort of the now upright hanyou.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome started sweetly, “if you don't come then you can sleep on the couch.”
 
“Oi! You can't do that!”
 
Kagome turned and bowed to Kaede. “He says that a lot, don't mind him. I will see you tomorrow Kaede-sensei, and I will be on time. Sayonara.”
 
“Oi! I'm talking here bitch!”
 
“Osuwari.”
------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
 
Translation and Pronunciation Guide:
 
Seeraa fuku- (she-rah foo-coo) Female sailor collar school uniform.
 
Kaiko- (ky-koh) Silkworm.
 
Hoken'i- (hoh-ken-e) Medical doctor.
 
Semete- (she-meh-teh) Offense, method of attack.
 
Bouei- (boo-eh-e) Defense.
 
Gishikiyou- (ge-she-key-yoh) Ceremonial, ceremony, rites.
 
Rinshoushinrishi- (Reen-show-shen-ree-she) Clinical psychologist.
 
Fuhenteki- (foo-hen-the-key) Universal, general.
 
Jii-chan- (gee-chah-n) Slang for grandfather.
 
Obentou- (oh-beh-n-toh) A lunch box
 
Fushi- (foo-she) Satire, sarcasm
 
Chiki- (che-key) Childish.
 
Keitai- (keh-e-tie) Slang for Cell Phone.
 
Aku- (ah-coo) Evil, wickedness.
 
Jashin- (jah-she-n) Wicked heart.
 
Sensei-(she-n-say) Teacher.
 
Sayonara- (sah-yoh-nah-rah) Goodbye.