InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Strength of Bond ❯ First Battle ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Before you all come and hunt me down… I got a job this summer out of the state. Access to the internet? I have no idea, but it will probably be minimum. Time for writing? quite a bit though. Computer? Yes. So I'll have to leave you with this nice rounded chapter of action and cuteness all rolled into one. I have no idea when I'll have another chance to update, so please don't get mad. I will try to find a way to update for you all, but I can make no promises. Have a great summer, and I'll be around in August, with hopefully many more finished chapters.
 
Warnings: Violence and a little bit of gore. Be prepared for some unpleasant scenes.
 
Chapter 21
 
They slipped and slid down the top of the stairwell. The whole building tipped back and forth, as if the very foundation of the structure had been destroyed. Kagome gripped onto Inuyasha's arm, her eyes focused on the stairs. She had just enough time to slip on her brown loafer shoes before the barefoot hanyou dragged her out of the apartment. The sound of breaking glass was the only warning she had before every single window in the stairwell shattered and fell down upon them. Inuyasha pulled her into him and shielded her from the falling glass. She heard him curse, but did not have a chance to say anything before he pulled her down the stairs again.
 
Soon the stairs were filled with people from the various other floors of the building. Several seemed to think they should take the elevator and stood like bumbling idiots waiting for the metal contraption to arrive. Just as the doors for it opened, there was a loud snapping noise, as the building rocked again. Kagome screamed at the people to get away from the elevator. It was too late. She watched in horror as the elevator and a few of it's occupants fell from it's opening and down the shaft. The screams echoed from the occupants followed soon by crumbling metal and deafening silence.
 
Inuyasha turned her into his arms and whispered soothing words to her. He had a difficult time breathing in this place. Dust, smoke, fear, blood, and death were just a few of the senses that assaulted him. “Come on, Kagome. We can't stay here.” He pulled her down the stairs, this time his arms wrapped around her to shield her from the running fools of humans and youkai down the only path from the building.
 
“What's going on?!” someone shrieked just as another crash shook the apartment complex. Screams followed as they attempted to grab some sort of hold to keep from falling down the stairs and breaking their necks. Most were lucky, some were not so smiled upon by kami.
 
Inuyasha held Kagome to him waiting for the building to cease its rocking. He was not going to die here and neither was his mate. He lifted her slightly and jumped down several steps at a time. This one-by-one-step deal wasn't going to work anymore. He landed upon the second floor when a scraping sound made him pause. He pushed her down onto the ground just as the wall and parts of the ceiling, crumbled above and behind them. He heard her scream, and he grunted in slight pain at the impact of various pieces and blocks of cement that crashed into his back. “Everything's okay, koishii.”
 
She seemed appeased by his words, and leaned further into him as they waited for the pieces of the wall and ceiling to stop falling. She noted that her bonded's hair was a slate gray from the dust and smudges of building material appeared on his once clean face. His white dog ears were flattened against his head and appeared unharmed. His face was pained, but she knew that was from the falling debris. “I know, Anata. I'm fine.”
 
He grimaced. He wasn't fine at all, so how could she be? Her raven black hair was gray and she looked like she had aged sixty years overnight. Her old school clothes were dusty and dirty with several rips here and there from the building shards. There was also a cut on her forehead that bled ever so slightly and made him even more frightened than before. When had she gotten hurt? She didn't seem to notice it, but he could bring that to the fact that they were in a completely chaotic zone. He also noted that her eyes were slate gray, and her blue aura was fluctuating.
 
The building silenced and paused. Quickly, he pulled them back to their feet and raced down the stairs again, hoping to get out before anything else happened. They emerged moments later out onto the sidewalk outside the building. It was cold even with the numerous small fires that had sprung sporadically along the other buildings. Screams, explosions, and various other sounds filled the night air. It was a war zone out here. Across the way from them stood the largest centipede he'd ever seen. “What the hell is that?”
 
It appeared to him that the creature was in the process of searching for something. It was also completely oblivious to the rest of the world as it's large body moved without direction. Speaking of body parts not paying attention, he noticed a large section headed straight for them at a speed that would make cheetahs green with envy. “Get DOWN!” he yelled, as he pushed himself and Kagome down onto the ground. The wind seemed to whip above him with the speed of the body. He pulled them back to their feet and glanced behind him.
 
Most of the people had been smart enough to duck. Two unfortunate souls had not listened as the razor armor sides of the centipede's body had come upon them. Their headless bodies crumbled to the ground, blood spilling out upon the cement. He turned his head to swallow the bile that had suddenly formed in the back of his mouth. Sure he was used to seeing things similar to this, but that never made it any better to stomach than the first time.
 
“Where are the hunters?” shrieked various other voices.
 
He snarled and turned to glare at the frozen people on the street and sidewalk. “What the hell are you still standing there for?! Get your ketsu out of here!”
 
The creature suddenly paused and seemed to turn around toward them. A female-like figure was on top of the long insect body. It had six humanoid arms, razor sharp teeth, a tongue like a snake, and the ugliest face and hair combo to ever grace the face of the earth. Not to mention that the youkai was also naked, and with the exception for the mile long centipede section, that did not work for the `womanly figure' of the human-like section. “You have it, don't you?! Give it to me!” the creature screeched in a high feminine voice. The youkai raced toward them, it's forked tongue slipping between parted lips.
 
Inuyasha lifted Kagome into his arms and leapt away. “Hah!”
 
The oni's body crashed where they had once been. The hideous face turned and snarled at them, as it gave chase. “Give me the Shikon no Tama!”
 
“Feh. As if a weak thing like you could get it, let alone use it,” he bantered back. He landed for a mere moment on top of a car before he jumped again into the air. The wailing and eventually destruction of the car alarm signaled the destruction of the vehicle. Of course, the owner of the car screaming at the loss of it also stated the annihilation of said vehicle. He landed again, this time on top of a two story building.
 
“Stop jumping around and fight, Hanyou?” The creature screeched and plowed it's lower body at the building. The pair barely jumped away as the entire building collapsed. Suddenly it swung it's body again, catching the pair in mid-air. It laughed a shrill, unpleasant sound, it's body squeezing around them. It drew them upward to it's upper body. “How can a hanyou like you, hurt me? You are only half the power as one such as me!” it hissed at them, it's long forked tongue slipping out to lap upon Kagome's face.
 
Inuyasha glared at the thing for daring to touch his mate, while Kagome looked a little green around the lips. Did that thing just kiss her? She felt ill, and a little breathless but that was mostly due to the centipede's body that was attempting to suffocate them. She glanced down. Her arms were raised above the wrapped youkai body, it's razor sharp ends pointed upward at her arms. She was thankful for that, as she was positive that if the youkai had wrapped them with the edges inward, her and her bonded would be sushi. Still, the long gold insect legs were rather painful as the dug into their bodies in the most inconvenient of places.
 
“Give me the jewel, miko,” the woman-like thing stated, it's hideous face and upper body hovered near Kagome.
 
“In your dreams, Konoama,” she snarled, and put her hands upon the creature. A bright blue light shot from her body and into the other. The centipede screeched and it's body loosened. Kagome and Inuyasha fell through the hold. They landed on the floor like a feather thanks to the hanyou's great sense of balance and landing. “You sure you aren't a neko, Inuyasha?”
 
He glanced down at her and glared. “Now is not the time.”
 
Several human-like arms were scattered around them. “Did I do that?” she whispered.
 
“Kuso! Doesn't this thing ever stop!” He jumped away from the spot as the youkai body smashed where they had once been. “This is really getting old!”
 
“Look out!” Kagome screamed as the body came back. Her hands rose again and a blue barrier formed around the pair. The body slammed into it and a bright flash accompanied that the disintegration of part of the centipede's body. An awful wail sounded and she covered her ears in pain. Every window within twenty meters shattered.
 
Inuyasha's ears were flattened but his focus was not on the youkai but on the girl in his arms. Where had she learned to do that? Was she really a natural miko or was it something else? He shook his head to clear his thoughts. Right now was not the time to be thinking about this. His eyes flashed and he took off at a run to get away from the flailing body of the injured monster in the road. People ran and screamed for help more instantly than before. He placed her down at the edge of the crowd and out of harms way. “Stay here and out of the way!” he snapped at her, before he placed a hard, but short kiss to her lips. He raced away. “Oi, Busu Oni! Your fight's with me!” And he attacked.
 
Kagome's hand was upon her mouth in shock and surprise. This was the first time he had ever done such a public display of affection to her. She wasn't sure whether or not she should jump for joy or be terrified stiff. She watched in awe as her bonded's claws seemed to gleam in the night, sharp as knives.
 
“Sankon Tetsusou!” Gold energy slashes flew from his claws, and sliced deeply into the centipede. His body followed and cut the huge creature into tiny chunks.
 
Her jaw dropped completely. All along he could have killed that thing in one hit, and yet he had jumped around being reckless? Oh, when he came over here, was she going to give him an ear full.
 
“Keh. That was easy,” He stated and turned away from the carcass. Various sizes of green and gold chunks fell all over the area where the centipede had once been. The crowd of people began to clap and shout their thanks to their savior. He ignored them, heading for the only person important to him. He didn't have to travel far before said person raced out to him and jumped into his arms. He held her close for several long moments, unaware of the mass destruction and chaos around them.
 
The sounds of sirens caused him to reluctantly place the girl back on her feet. He stepped back and dusted himself off, his eye upon her as she did the same. The cut upon her forehead had stopped bleeding now. His more animal instincts kicked in at the sight, and he leaned forward and licked it clean, savoring the taste of her blood upon his tongue. “So sweet,” he murmured.
 
Her cheeks flushed at the attention. Her previous anger gone. She was lost, when his head dipped back down to her neck to breath her scent in deeply. She stifled the need to laugh as his breath drew goose bumps along her arms and raised the hair on the back of her neck. When he growled, she froze.
 
“I smell more of your blood,” he whispered. His nose then sought out what may have caused it.
 
“Ano… Inuyasha, can you do that later?” Her voice wavered as she watched the crowd of people nearby watch them.
 
“You're hurt and I want to know where,” he snapped.
 
She huffed. “Well I'm fine and I'm not dying. Leave it be until we are not in the middle of the street in Tokyo.”
 
He growled, but yielded and pulled his head away from her. “Fine, but that's only because the blood scent is too light to be anything serious.”
 
Her eyes softened and she rubbed an ear to apologize. She was about to say more when a small voice cut her off. She turned her head to see a small boy, no more than four or five, wandering around the scene calling for his parents. She would have gone to help him anyway, but it was his bushy red-orange tail that made her act that much faster. She moved to him, leaving a confused hanyou in her wake.
 
“Okaasan?! Otousan?! Doko desu ka?!”
 
“Daijoubu?”
 
The small boy glanced up at the kneeling girl before him. Her kind blue eyes were soft and staring at him as if she was really worried about him. He sniffled, his green eyes grew big, and soon tears began to flow. “I can't find them!”
 
“Find who?” Kagome asked gently.
 
“Okaasan and otousan.”
 
“Ah. Well, would you like me to help you find them? I'm Kagome.”
 
Hopeful emerald eyes seemed to glow in the night. He smiled tentatively and responded, “Hai. I am Shippou. Will you really help?”
 
“Of course we will.” She motioned to her bonded behind her. “Won't we, Anata?” She didn't wait for the response and tentatively extended her hand. Too late, she realized that Inuyasha was growling at her. She turned to ask him what he was doing, when the small hand of the boy clasped her own. When nothing happened, it was Inuyasha that looked confused, but she brushed it off without a second thought.
 
Inuyasha was waiting for some sort of backlash from the soul bond spell, but when nothing happened he was completely lost. Didn't the bond prevent males from touching her without his consent? Maybe he should ask his brother more about that. Still, the child was young and he did pose no threat to him and his mate. Did that mean only select instances would cause the bond to react? Or did it have something to do with the fact that his mate was a miko? He shook his head in annoyance. Right now was not the time to be having this debate.
 
Kagome then lifted the small boy into her arms. “We can't let the people see your kawaii tail, now can we?” she said, as if to justify her carrying the small boy. She rose from the ground with the boy in her arms, and turned back to her bonded. “Inuyasha? Do you think you can find Shippou's parents in this chaos?”
 
Said hanyou grunted and leaned forward to take a whiff of the boy's scent. “He's a kitsune youkai. As far as I can tell, his kin owns our apartment building, Miss Kawarichokki.”
 
“That's my kousobo,” Shippou piped up from the girl's arms. “She's even outlived my ojiisan, and he died a long time ago.”
 
“Well if she's the owner, we shouldn't have too much of a problem getting someone to find his parents, if we can't tonight.” At the glare directed to him by his mate, he sighed and caved. He really wanted to go and get some rest after that adrenaline rush, which had been proceeded by the forever and a day sob fest. Today just wasn't his day. “Fine, come on. If they were smart, they should have returned to the apartment area to check the outside damages and await for investigators to get here. We'll go look over by the building and hopefully, if they are there, they haven't been monopolized by media, police, or the Magera clean up crews.”
 
The group made its way back to the delapitated building, proceeding cautiously due to the running and moving people of all walks of life. A containment field was already being set up by several high classed miko and houshi, while several Mageran officials dressed like police men, were rounding up all eye witnesses to the account. Memory modifications were going under for all non-Magera persons in the area and a cause was outlined for the respective reporters for the humans. Apparently, the youkai attack had been shifted into a yakuza terrorist attack and unknown at this time who is responsible. Another several miko, houshi, and illusionist youkai were scattered about putting spelled necklaces on all youkai and hanyou that were in the area. Inuyasha and Shippou had been tagged the instant they had reached the complex of where their apartments stood.
 
Then they stared at the building in slight shock. The building was slightly lopsided, leaning heavily on it's right side. Parts of the outer walls were completely destroyed, and the structure was anything but stable. The first floor was also caved in, to the point that anyone who hadn't made it out by now, probably wasn't going to unless by some miracle they were on a higher floor that didn't collapse. What made it all the worse, was that this building actually looked in better condition than several others. Some of the buildings had caught fire, while others were completely leveled flat. This was going to keep the Council busy for at least a few months, perhaps several years, to keep it covered from the human population.
 
“This looks bad,” Kagome murmured.
 
Inuyasha nodded his head.
 
“I don't see them,” whimpered the small kit. His body was trembling as he stared in horror at his home. “Do you think they are still in there?”
 
Inuyasha pulled her and the boy into his chest, his arms wrapping securely around the pair. “I'm sure they are just fine. They are probably just lost somewhere in the crowd or detained by the stupid people running like chickens without their heads. We'll just fine someone to give your name to and by tomorrow or the next we'll have your parents found.”
 
Shippou lifted his teary-eyed gaze to the hanyou. “Really?”
 
Inuyasha glanced down, his eyes a warm honey color. “Aa.”
 
“Demo…” Kagome started, but she was waved off from comment by a meaningful gaze from her bonded. He obviously was trying very hard to keep the boy positive. Whatever the hanyou seemed to know, she honestly didn't want to be party to right now. “He's right, Shippou-chan. Tomorrow morning all of this will have seemed like one really bad dream.”
 
“Inuyasha-sama!” The group froze and then turned around. An elderly looking man stood a few feet away from them. His body was very round and very short with a bug-like appearance. If anything, one would say he looked kind of looked like an oversized flea.
 
“Myouga-jijii,” Inuyasha stated, eyes wide in wonder. “Aren't you a little big? Have you been drinking again?”
 
“Iie, Inuyasha-sama. This humble servant has not been feasting on the victims of this horrible night. You have so little faith in me, your most loyal follower.” What appeared to be big juicy tears appeared on the figure of the man.
 
“Myouga-jijii, you're my only follower and you still haven't answered my first question. Or are you still too much of a coward to tell me the truth?”
 
“Iie, Inuyasha-sama. I have an illusion spell placed upon me to amplify my size. That way there is less chance of myself being squashed by running feet.” The old man's imaged wavered ever so slightly. His large buggy eyes fixed upon the girl and the small kit. “Ah, a pleasure to finally meet you Kagome-sama. My name is Kamu, Myouga and I am Inuyasha-sama's retainer. I was not told you had already produced a child. I shall have to procure gifts and toys. He looks rather old as well. I thought you had just recently mated, my lord…”
 
“Urasai, Myouga-jijii. The gaki is not mine. We were trying to find his parents. Besides, he's a kitsune. You should know just by the smell of his blood, since you are a Nomi youkai.”
 
“Umu,” Myouga squeaked out. “Inuyasha-sama, there is a reason why I have sought you out. The elders of the MHCRS and MSS are looking for you.”
 
Inuyasha groaned. “Great, just great.”
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama has also delivered a car to pick you up and transport you and your mate to his home.”
 
“Myouga,” Inuyasha began in a serious tone, “I need you to find the kitsune family that was living in my complex.”
 
“Umu, Inuyasha-sama…”
 
“Now! And don't you dare show your bloodsucking body until you find them!” he snarled at the demon before he turned and grabbed Kagome by the arm. “We're going to my brother's. Tell those baka bosu of mine they can talk to me tomorrow!”
 
He dragged the startled girl and kit away from the nomi youkai and strode purposefully toward the direction of the forming crowd. He slipped them out between rolls of police scene tape, personnel, reporters, and the general crowd. No one noticed them leave.
 
~~~-~~~
 
“You brought a whelp,” stated Sesshoumaru. He watched as Kagome, Shippou, and Inuyasha paused in the forum of the main entrance. His aristocratic nose wrinkled lightly at the smell emanating from the group. “You will come to the study when you have bathed. There will be someone to watch the kit in the playroom while we talk.” He glided out of the room.
 
Several servants appeared and Kagome was separated from Inuyasha, the small kit going with her. Together, she and a servant gave Shippou a bath, much to his distaste and the numerous female giggles. While a couple of servants dressed the boy, Kagome was given a quick bath, and was soon wrapped in a simple blue sleeping yukata and outer robe. Kagome then walked with Shippou to the play room where Rin was currently watching a movie while coloring in a book. An older woman sat knitting at the other side of the room. The woman made to rise, but she waved her back into her seat.
 
Rin turned and sprung to her feet just now noticing another presence in the room. “Kagome-oba-chan!” She rushed over and hugged the young woman. “Where's Inu-oto-san?”
 
She smiled down at the girl. “He's with his brother, Rin-chan. I have someone for you to meet. His name is Shippou. Can you make him feel welcome while I go talk with Sesshoumaru-sama and Inuyasha?”
 
“Hai! Rin-chan will.”
 
Shippou sniffled and pulled on the cloth of her yukata. “Will you come back?”
 
Kagome smiled and knelt down to his eye level. “Of course I'll be back. Soon as possible. We will then have a nice big slumber party. How does that sound?”
 
“Really?” Rin asked.
 
“Hai.”
 
“Yeah! Come on Shippou-chan. We can watch some my movie, and if Riku-san allows, maybe some pocky too.” She grasped the boy's hand and dragged him away, the hope for sugar allowing his feet to lift a little.
 
Kagome smiled and left the room, guided back to the study.
 
~~~-~~~
 
“-the bond only pushes back hostile threats,” Sesshoumaru spoke softly, his back to the room where his half-brother stalked back and forth. “The kitsune is nothing more than a pup. He's completely harmless and wished no ill intentions to her.”
 
“So you are saying that someone can just swipe her away, as long as they are not intending to harm her?!”
 
“Somewhat. If you also perceive the creature as a threat to the bond, it will react as well.”
 
“Well that's just perfect.” He snarled.
 
Kagome entered the room then, deafening silence filling it. She was immediately intercepted by her mate, his arms securing her to him as he finally decided to sink into a chair.
 
When they were settled, Sesshoumaru turned to look at them. “This incident is going to cause problems. At the moment twelve are dead, thirty-six injured, seven in critical condition, and twenty plus missing, and the numbers are rising.” Silence again filled the room before the stoic, yet extremely tired youkai finally sat down in his chair behind his desk. “But, the number of causalities would have risen if you had not stepped in to fight the youkai. You've proven yourself a competent protector of the miko, brother. Nevertheless, you did fight while on probation, which had been issued no more than six hours ago.”
 
“I won't let them take him,” Kagome murmured, her eyes fixed on the floor, her arms curling around her bonded's own.
 
Both males had heard her clearly, surprised expressions- well for Sesshoumaru slightly widened eyes- on their faces. “Do not worry yourself, miko. The council would never separate you without significant backlash happening. The problem will be the public and the power hungry humans and youkai.”
 
“Power hungry?” Her eyes were wide at that phrase.
 
“The Shikon no Tama amplifies a youkai's power. For a weak creature, like this evening, the jewel would make them very powerful,” Inuyasha stated.
 
“The people at the school said the same thing, and used you and Sesshoumaru as examples.”
 
Again the brothers exchanged annoyed glances, both vowing different revenges against the people at the school. “Feh, what do they know. They are just stupid, weak, pathetic teachers that are bitter because they can't be anything else.”
 
“Besides that, we are descendants of the greatest demons to ever live. The Inu no Taishou family does not get weaker, only stronger… even if they are only half the blood,” Sesshoumaru stated.
 
She relaxed into her mate's arms. “I know and I trust my family. It is their words that bothered me, not what they want me to believe. I was just remembering what they had said to me.”
 
The door slammed open before either demon could make a reply. “Kagome?!”
 
Surprised, Kagome only had moments before her and her bonded were crushed into her mother's teary embrace. “You're all right. Thank kami.”
 
“Counselor Higurashi, I believe my brother and your daughter should be retiring for the night. It is late. This Sesshoumaru will have a room prepared for you and your father this night. Your son, no doubt will wish to participate in the slumber party your daughter has so artfully planned.”
 
Reluctantly her mother let go, and made a soft nod. The bonded were then ushered out of the room and back to the play room. Where a pillow fight and fort building followed upon entering the playroom. Exhausted the five- Shippou, Souta, Rin, Inuyasha, and Kagome- curled up inside one of the larger forts made of pillows and sheets, feathers falling everywhere from broken pillows. Sesshoumaru paused by the door looking at the tangled pile of bodies. He locked, briefly, his gaze with the bleary eyed hanyou and an unspoken agreement passed between them. The light was then turned off, and the hanyou curled more completely around his mate and his make-shift family.
------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
 
Translation and Pronunciation Guide:
 
Kami- (kah-me) God.
Koishii- (coy-she) Lover, sweetheart.
Anata- (Ah-nah-tah) Dear.
Ketsu- (Keh-sue) Ass.
Oni- (Oh-knee) Monster, ghost.
Konoama- (koh-noh-ah-ma) Bitch.
Neko- (neh-koh) Cat.
Kuso- (coo-soh) Shit.
Oi- (oy) Hey.
Busu- (boo-sue) Ugly.
Sankon Tetsusou- (Sahn-con the-sue-soh)Soul Scattering Iron Claw. Inuyasha's first attack.
Ano- (ah-noh) Umm, uh.
Okaasan- (oh-kah-sah-n) Mother.
Otousan- (Oh-toe-sah-n) Father.
Doko desu ka?- (doh-koh dehs kah) Where are you?
Daijoubu- (Die-joh-boo) Are you okay?
Hai- (hi) Yes.
Shippou- (ship-poh) Tail.
Kawaii- (kah-wah-ee) Cute.
Kitsune- (ke-sue-neh) Fox.
Kousobo- (coo-soh-boh) Great grandmother.
Ojiisan- (oh-gee-sah-n) Grandfather.
Yakuza- (yah-coo-zah) Mafia.
Aa- (ah-ah) Yes.
Myouga- (me-oh-gah) Divine Grace.
-Jijii- (gee-gee) Impolite form of old man.
Iie- (ee-eh) No.
Kamu- (kah-mu) Bite.
Urasai- (you-rah-sigh) Shut up.
Gaki- (gah-key) Brat.
Nomi- (noh-me) Flea.
Umu- (ooh-mew) Umm, uh. Myouga's catch phrase.
Baka- (bah-kah) Moron.
Bosu- (boh-sue) bosses.
Yukata- (you-kah-tah) Cotton robe similar to Kimono but with shorter sleeves. Does not always have an obi.
Riku- (ree-coo) Land, shore.