InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.

Temple of the Dog - Chapter 2

The young woman looked expectantly from the young deity to the young priest, waiting for someone to tell the story. Her curiosity had been more than piqued, and seeing that she had somehow managed to unseal the deity after fifty years when nobody could, made it personal.

Inuyasha snorted. "Go ahead, priest. Tell us what you know about the story and I'll tell you where you are wrong."

Miroku cleared his throat, not sure exactly where to begin.

"Well, I have only been the priest for the temple since my father died. You would have known my grandfather, who was the first priest here."

"Judging by the way you keep eyeing this young woman, can I assume you inherited your grandfather's womanizing ways?" Inuyasha growled when he noticed Miroku inching towards the young woman.

The young priest looked surprised, and then glanced at the young woman, who had moved away from him. Darn it, he thought. Now why would his god find it necessary to bring that up at this moment. Of course, now that she had been forewarned, it seemed unlikely that he would find any success with her.

Miroku laughed nervously. "Well, I do appreciate a beautiful and graceful woman, but don't know if that would make one a womanizer."

"Maybe not, but I can remember the temple priest - your grandfather - having difficulty keeping his hands off the young women who came to the temple."

Miroku quickly folded his hands and placed them on his lap. "I haven't laid a hand on her."

Inuyasha looked away, but not before the young woman noticed the smile that played on his face.

"I do have a name, you know."

Both men looked at the young woman, who seemed insulted that they hadn't bothered to inquire into her name. The three looked at each other for a moment, nobody speaking.

"Well?" Inuyasha snorted.

"Might we inquire as to your name?" Miroku asked, trying his best to act the part of a gentleman. Perhaps she wouldn't take Inuyasha's earlier comment seriously if he behaved himself. However, one glace at the shapely young woman sitting near him made his hand itch. This was not going to be easy.

"Kagome. My name is Kagome."

"Now, can we continue?" The silver-haired deity seemed impatient, and it was obvious to Kagome that he had something on his mind. His reaction to the news of the temple priestess being dead hadn't gone unnoticed by her. Despite the fact that he had said he would kill the woman himself, his reaction to the news of her death was more one of surprise and sadness, no matter how he had tried to mask it.

Miroku continued.

The temple had been founded by several men of power and wealth when they had discovered Inuyasha. Of course, a human with animal features could only mean one thing in this land. He had obviously been a god. Perhaps a lesser one, and one that had not come forward before. But, a god nonetheless.

The best stone crafters had been hired from the big cities in the north and work on the temple had begun. It was completed in record time and a young priest had been recruited from another temple, where he had acted only as an assistant to the head priest. The move would have been a major step up for the man, and of course, he hadn't declined.

The temple had been built near a small village at the base of the hills that led to a small range of mountains. It was not very close to the Nile, but a small river that ran from the mountains to the Nile came near the temple, allowing for fresh water and a means of transportation. The location had seemed perfect. The people of the village were amazed by their deity, who unlike the gods of most temples, was actually living in the temple. How many people could say they knew a god. It didn't take long for the villagers to start following their new god and bringing him offerings.

The best craftsmen of the village had made furniture for the temple. The village's closeness to the hills gave them access to wood that might not have been found closer to the Nile. They provided beautifully crafted chairs and beds, among other things. The styles were simple, but the workmanship superb. Both Inuyasha and his priest would live in comfort.

Also, the village was a source of excellent fruits and vegetables, being so close to the river. Those who farmed could irrigate their fields from the clear, fresh water that flowed from the hills. The altar was never empty of these fresh offerings, or of freshly made bread, cheese, and other items. The village could provide the temple with virtually anything it would ever need.

Except for a priestess. The one thing the local village could not provide was a priestess, so a search began for one. The temple had been established and its deity and priest living comfortably at it when the search uncovered the perfect priestess. She would be more than just a regular priestess as she had shown evidence of having special powers. The benefactors of the temple sent word of their discovery and made arrangements for a family in the village to take in the priestess's younger sister, as the two sisters were orphans.

The temple had been built with two smaller rooms in back of the main one. The larger of the two had been set aside for Inuyasha. The second had been used by the priest. However, when the priestess had arrived, she was given the room and the priest had been moved with his cot to the main temple room.

"And, of course, the priest, your grandfather, made a big argument that he should be allowed to stay in his room. However, he also felt that the priestess should stay there with him," Inuyasha interjected during Miroku's telling of the story.

"Hmmm.. If you don't mind, " Miroku shot Inuyasha an annoyed look. Why did his deity seem so intent on spoiling any chance he had of becoming friendly with their beautiful visitor?

Inuyasha waved at the priest to continue. He shifted himself so that he lay on his right side, his head propped by his right hand. From this position he had a unique view of Kagome. He found himself glancing at the expanse of leg that was exposed when she sat with her legs crossed on the bench above him. He chided himself when he realized he was staring at her, reminding himself that he was definitely not interested in anything like that. Especially after what had happened.

Once they had all become comfortable again, Miroku continued.

The priestess Kikyou arrived and began her duties as temple priestess. She spent her free time in the village, visiting her younger sister, Kaede, and making friends with the children of the village. She seemed to have a way with the younger villagers, and many of the children started coming to the temple to see her. The children would bring the offerings from their parents and leave them on the large altar and then bring their own special offerings to the priestess. She never lacked for fresh cut wild flowers or uniquely shaped rocks the children found. Of course, she accepted the gifts graciously and kept them on a low table next to the cot in her room.

Life at the temple continued this way for a while, until one day a villager came to the temple and asked for Kikyou. A stranger had stumbled into the village, seriously injured and in need of medical treatment. Kikyou had training for this, so she was called out. She had tended to the injured stranger, only to find that he was a wanted thief who had been severely burned when authorities had tried to burn him out of his hiding place. He had jumped to safety, only to have damaged his legs - it was a miracle that he had managed to make it to the village as his legs had become so crippled that he could no longer walk.

Kikyou began the task of caring for the man, despite objections from Inuyasha and the temple priest. Even the elders of the village began to suggest that authorities should be contacted and that the man should be turned over to them.

But, Kikyou had refused, arguing that the man would never have a fair chance in the condition he was in. Her duties at the temple had suffered as the thief's condition worsened. The priestess had spent longer and longer amounts of time tending to the injured man, until she had all but moved into the run down stone building he had been placed in.

Then one day, something happened. The thief's condition became critical, and he had died. Immediately following his death, Kikyou had come back to the temple and attacked Inuyasha, screaming that he had betrayed her before her arrow had pierced him and sealed him to the pillar he had been standing by. Kikyou herself had collapsed from critical injuries and died only a few feet from the deity she had served.

How she had been injured remained a mystery, but as she had betrayed her deity, her own burial was without honors. She had been mummified, as was the custom of the land, but the only piece of jewelry that had been placed on her mummy was a necklace with Inuyasha's name in a cartouche. It was meant to serve as a reminder to her in the afterlife that she had betrayed and killed her deity.

The mummy had been placed in a small, virtually unmarked tomb just behind the main temple. Except for her sarcophagus and canopic jars, there was nothing in the tomb. No offerings or items for her to use in the afterlife. Her punishment for what she had done would come in the next world. The outside of the tomb had only her name and the dates of her birth and death. Once again, fitting for someone who had betrayed their deity. Her tomb was sealed and all but forgotten.

After Inuyasha had been sealed and Kikyou's remains placed in her tomb, there wasn't much for the priest to do but to continue to honor his deity and hope that someday a way could be found to bring him back. The temple was cared for, worshippers were welcomed, and offerings were accepted. Life went on for the priest, who eventually died and was replaced by his own son. Eventually the second priest, too, had died, and the position had been passed to Miroku, who was the grandson of the original priest.

"And, that's where we are now. Have I missed anything? Certainly my lord would be able to add something to the story." Miroku nodded his head in Inuyasha's direction before shooting a glace to Kagome as she shifted on the stone bench, more of her leg being revealed as the fabric of her skirt fell aside.

"You fail to mention where the tombs of your grandfather and father are. Surely they would have been buried with honors after serving their god." Inuyasha looked questioningly at Miroku.

The young priest looked sadly at his right hand.

"Unfortunately, there was no tomb for either my grandfather or father. Because of the family curse, they did not live long enough for their bodies to die of old age, but were claimed instead by the curse."

"Curse?" Inuyasha asked. "I don't remember my priest having any type of curse."

"Actually, it happened at about the same time as the priestess betraying you. My grandfather spoke only briefly of it to my father, perhaps trying to spare him the pain. However, when my grandfather died, the curse appeared with my father. And, when my father died, I also inherited it." He held up his right hand, which was covered in purple cloth matching the outer covering of his robes. Around the cloth was wound a rosary made of blue beads. "This covering and the beads are the only way I can seal it."

Inuyasha sat up and peered at Miroku's hand. "Doesn't look like much of a curse to me." He lay back down, turning his back to Kagome and the young priest. His actions were more because of the length of Kagome's thigh that had become visible from his vantage point than anything else. Why he was reacting to this woman he had no idea, but there was something about her that he couldn't get out of his mind.

Idiot, he thought to himself. The last thing he needed was to get mixed up with another woman. He had spent most of his life alone before coming to the temple, and he could live the rest of it alone.

Kagome looked at Miroku's hand. "It's an air void, isn't it?"

The young priest reacted in surprise. "Yes, but how did you know?"

Kagome blushed slightly. "Well, my grandfather has spoken of them. I don't remember too many of his legends or stories, but for some reason I remember when he told me about these. He knew a priest who was cursed with one many years ago. My grandfather gave him a rosary to seal the air void, at least temporarily. I can remember him talking about the color of the blue beads being like a flower that grew in our garden. These are the same color."

"Who is your grandfather?"

"He's not a great priest or anything, but he has been an assistant to the priests at the great temple of Osiris near the pharaoh's palace."

Miroku's eyes opened in surprise. "My grandfather was given the rosary by one of the priest's young assistants from that very temple. Could it be possible that it was your grandfather?"

"Possibly," Kagome noted. She glanced at Inuyasha and noted that he appeared bored. There was something about his manner, though, that made her feel that it was something other than boredom that had him acting this way. Of course, it must be difficult for him to be awakened after all this time. And, this after being betrayed by his own priestess. She couldn't help but feel that there was more to the story, and that the silver-haired deity lying on the floor with his back to her would be the only one who could fill in the gaps. She didn't see that happening.

"Thank you for retelling the legend. Now that I hear it, I can remember Grandfather talking about it. It was because of him that I traveled this way. I didn't know where else to go, but felt that perhaps I could find a safe place in this village." Kagome stopped, realizing that Inuyasha had turned to look directly at her while she spoke.

"Exactly why did you come here? This is hardly the kind of place a girl of your type would travel to alone." Inuyasha spoke to her harshly, although it had not been his intent. Oh, well, he thought. The sooner she left, the sooner he could relax. Her presence was making him feel strange.

Miroku interrupted. "Perhaps her story can wait until morning. It has been a long and eventful day. I still have to figure out how to report your awakening, and to whom I should report it. I can't recall ever hearing of a deity waking up, but then again, I don't recall hearing of any other deity being sealed as you were.

"Besides, my lord, it seems to me that we have in front of us the perfect solution to our priestess problem."

Inuyasha snarled, "Priestess problem? We don't have any priestess problem."

"Well, we don't have a priestess, and now that your lord is awake, it seems that we are in need of one. And, seeing that Kagome here was able to release you from…"

"I don't need a priestess. I don't WANT a priestess!" Inuyasha stood up and stormed in the direction of his chambers, only to push aside the mat that covered the door a minute later. "Priest, perhaps you would care to remove your belongings from my chamber."

Miroku blushed. He hadn't thought about the fact that he had taken up residence in Inuyasha's room. He quickly went into his old chambers and removed his few personal belonging, constantly apologizing as he did. He tried to explain why he had been using the room, but Inuyasha wasn't listening. He had sprawled onto his bed and lay on his back, his hands behind his head, looking at the ceiling. The young priest could see that this was not the time to disturb the young deity, so he quickly left the room.

Once back in the main chamber he realized that he would have to work quickly to find adequate supplies from the spare chamber, which had become filled with offerings that had not yet been sold. He took a lit torch from one of the wall brackets and pushed aside the mat that acted as the door to the room.

Kagome sat quietly, waiting on the priest. She could hear the sound of furniture and boxes being moved in the room, plus the occasional curse from Miroku as he stubbed his toe or dropped something on his foot. Eventually he returned, pulling first one and then two wooden cots from the room. He disappeared again, reappearing in another few minutes with several decorative screens. He proceeded to move one cot to the corner near Inuyasha's chamber. The second he moved to the opposite corner, close to the spare chamber. The room would have to be emptied so that their new priestess would have her own place, but first he would have to convince his deity that she was, indeed, the perfect candidate for the position. From Inuyasha's reaction, it would take some doing.

Miroku then moved the screens to form a makeshift wall around the cot that was outside of Inuyasha's chamber. He was sure Kagome would feel more comfortable with even these temporary walls, although he himself would have preferred to have been able to see her while she slept.

Kagome stood up and approached the young priest while he struggled with the screens. "Can I do something to help?"

Miroku had to practically bite his tongue to stop the inappropriate remark that came into his mind.
"No, I'm fine. I'll have your bed ready in another minute."

After placing the last screen, Miroku went one last time into the spare chamber where he opened a wooden chest and took out several bolts of fine fabric. He had been saving these for his own robes, but felt that they would be perfect for the young woman who had graced the temple with her presence. Of course, the fabric was fine and draped beautifully, which would accent her perfect shape even more. He would have to instruct the seamstress in the village as to the style of robes to make for the priestess. It wouldn't do to cover her too completely. After all, she was a beautiful woman and that beauty should be seen and appreciated.

He also found several robes that were already made. Of course, these were not as fine, but would do until he could have her formal priestess robes commissioned.

Plus, he would have to first convince his stubborn deity that her presence was necessary. Somehow he knew this would be a difficult job.

Miroku returned from the room, bringing the torch with him and placing it back into its holder on the wall.

"Here, they aren't the finest, but they are well made and will serve you until we can have some things made for you." The young priest handed the items of clothing to Kagome.

"Thank you. There is no need to have anything made for me, though."

Miroku smiled his sexiest smile at the young woman. "Leave that to me. I'm an expert at handling stubborn deities. I'll convince Inuyasha that you would make the perfect priestess."

"Don't count on it." Inuyasha's voice shouted from his chambers. One thing the young priest would have to learn is that his deity had exceptional hearing. That, and his sense of smell and taste were much more than a mere human's. Yes, his priest would be in for a few surprises.

Inuyasha glanced out of his room, taking in Kagome's form as she accepted the remaining clothing from the priest. The sooner this one was gone, the better. However, he found himself unable to drop the mat. There was something about her, this Kagome, that was getting under his skin. And, he had to admit to himself, the feeling wasn't unpleasant.

No, he thought to himself. Not again. Never again. He would spend his life alone. He had trusted once before, only to be betrayed. He was not going to open himself up to this again. He could handle having the perverted priest around, but he could tell he would have a problem if this Kagome stayed.

"You'll have to excuse the manners of our deity. He has been sealed to that pillar for fifty years, and it seems that he has forgotten how to treat a beautiful woman."

"I'd watch your back if I were you, around that letch." Inuyasha's disembodied voice rang from his room.

Miroku cringed. This day was getting worse by the minute. The sky had become dark and the temple was already locked up for the night. Perhaps it was time to cut his losses and go to bed. Unfortunately, he would have to do so alone, and would continue to do so as long as his own deity insisted on ruining his chances with this beautiful woman.

"On that note, I shall bid you goodnight. You know where I'm sleeping. Please don't hesitate if you should need anything during the night."

"I'd sleep with one eye open, if I were you." Again, Inuyasha's voice came from his room.

Kagome couldn't help but smile, being sure to hide it from Miroku by covering her mouth, pretending to yawn.

"I'm very tired myself, and doubt that I will be in need of anything but sleep tonight. Thank you for your kindness." She bowed slightly to the young priest before walking to the partitioned area that was to serve as her quarters for the night. She quickly changed into one of the robes for sleeping, finding her thoughts going to the silver-haired deity who had been sealed to the pillar. He had looked so peaceful, standing so unmoving with the arrow coming from his chest. However, she hadn't been able to ignore the fact that he was extremely handsome. Those ears, of course, were irresistible. And, dressed only in the flowing white skirt-type attire that was common for both pharaohs and deities, with a collar made of gold inlaid with semiprecious stones, he was an image she couldn't shake as she lay on the hard wooden cot, propping her head on the headrest. While the bed was more comfortable than anywhere she had slept since leaving the pharaoh's city, and she was exhausted, she found herself unable to sleep.

Exhaustion finally caught up with Kagome, though, and she drifted into a restless sleep. Her dreams were frightening, reliving the events that had led her to arrive at Inuyasha's temple. She mumbled in her sleep, tossing and turning as the image of her pursuer followed her even into sleep.

Miroku was equally unable to sleep, given the events of the day. Between the visit from the pharaoh himself, the reawakening of his sleeping deity, and the presence of perhaps the most beautiful woman he had even seen, he was restless. He found himself waking throughout the night. Several times he left his cot and checked the torches or did some other trivial duty. Anything to busy his hands while he tried to empty his mind. Finally, he felt he could stay awake no longer and lay one last time on his cot. Then, before he had drifted off to sleep, he noticed the mat that served as Inuyasha's door move aside and the silver-haired deity step into the main chamber. He silently moved towards the screens that hid Kagome from view, poking his head through an opening between the screens and watching the sleeping woman for several moments before returning to his room. When he had reached his door he heard a low chuckle coming from the other side of the room.

"So, I'm not the only pervert here."

"I'm hardly a pervert. I know of your family's reputation, which you obviously have followed, and just wanted to be sure our visitor was all right. It wouldn't do for a deity to have his priest attack a woman worshiper, would it?" Inuyasha scowled at the priest, angry at himself for failing to notice the young man was awake.

"Whatever you say, my lord," the young priest countered, although his tone of voice suggested that he was still laughing at Inuyasha.

"I suggest you not speak of this," Inuyasha warned, his hands clenching and unclenching at his sides. He was confused enough about his inability to get Kagome off his mind. He didn't need his own priest speaking out of turn. He half expected Miroku to use the situation to his advantage, but the young priest simply said goodnight and turned his back on his deity.

Of course, Miroku would not forget this night, and would recall the events in the future, if they worked to his advantage. He was, if nothing else, resourceful.

Inuyasha returned to his chambers, but not before casting one last glance in the direction of the wooden screens that hid Kagome from sight. There was something different about the young woman, and he would spend the remainder of the night mulling over her in his mind. He dropped the mat and tossed himself onto the soft bed. I don't remember having a bed like this, he thought to himself as he lay on its softness. He found himself feeling guilty that he had the luxury of a comfortable bed when the young woman in the next room lay on a hard cot. Well, it would only be for the one night and then she would be gone. He tried his best to convince himself of this as he spent the remainder of the night staring at the ceiling of his chambers.

The early morning light found its way through the slits in the walls and under the large, wooden doors. Inuyasha was the first to awaken. He normally didn't sleep much, as his body didn't require more than a couple of hours a night. He washed quickly at the basin of water in his room and glanced around at the other items in the room. This was definitely not how he had left the room. The furnishings were sparse, but obviously well made and stylish. It seemed the young priest had made use of the time his deity had been sealed.

He pushed past the mat that served as his door and surveyed the room beyond. Several torches remained lit, as did the small fire that burned in a pit near the larger altar. He didn't remember the smaller altar being there but then realized that it must have been put there after he was sealed, seeing that it was right near the pillar he had been sealed to.

Inuyasha found himself drawn to that pillar, his fingers exploring the hole that had been left by Kikyou's arrow after it had completely pierced him. He heard the sound of Kagome moving as she woke up and put her clothes on, but chose to remain focused on the pillar until she was standing beside him.

"There is more to the story than Miroku told last night, isn't there?" Her soft brown eyes focused on Inuyasha. Her voice was soft and full of emotion.

"Bah! What more would there be. You saw for yourself how I was sealed. The priest says that I was that way for fifty years." He turned to face her, avoiding looking directly at her. It was easier when he didn't look directly at her.

"You cared about her."

Inuyasha opened his mouth to object, but found the words caught in his throat. She would know he was lying, of that he was certain.

"A god cares about all his followers," he countered, hoping to move from the subject of the dead priestess.

"That's not what I mean. There was something more between you and Kikyou. This must really hurt." Kagome's voice was deep with emotion. It was as though she could feel his pain.

"Feh! What more could there be? She was the temple priestess. She turned on me. That's all there is to it." He turned away and picked up a piece of fruit from the altar, studying it for a moment before taking a large bite. Juice dripped down his chin and he quickly wiped it away. Why was it so hard to deny.

Because there is truth in her words, he thought to himself. Kikyou's betrayal hurt more because he had cared about her. After being alone most of his life, he had found someone he felt he could trust. Someone who could keep him from being alone. He had always hated being alone. Yet, now, after all that had happened, he found himself wanting to be alone. He simply wanted everyone to leave him alone.

"Help yourself to whatever food you want. I'm sure you still have a long way to travel." Inuyasha turned and walked back to his chambers, leaving a puzzled Kagome watching him retreat.

She realized that she must have hit a nerve with him and wanted to follow him. However, she also realized that he would probably only become angry if she did. She picked several pieces of fruit and broke off some of the cheese that they had eaten the night before. After she finished eating, she straightened the altar, removing anything that appeared to be spoiling and placing it in a small pile to be discarded when the doors of the temple were opened.

Kagome wasn't sure what she should do. She found herself tidying up the temple, simply to keep herself occupied while she waited. What she was waiting for, she wasn't sure. Inuyasha had made it clear that he expected her to leave. Miroku, on the other hand, seemed to think she should become the new temple priestess.

Of course, her grandfather would be proud of her if she did take on the position of priestess. He had spent her entire life lecturing her on the honor of being a priestess. Apparently he felt she would make a good one, and even had hinted that he felt she had special abilities that few priestesses had. Images of the previous night went through her head. She had been the one to touch the arrow and release Inuyasha. Perhaps her grandfather had been right. And, perhaps it was more than just luck that had brought her to this particular temple. However, the deity himself had made it clear he didn't want her here.

"He's probably not going to come out for quite a while." Miroku's voice broke through her thoughts, startling Kagome. She realized that she must have been staring at the doorway to Inuyasha's chambers while she was deep in thought.

"I was just thinking."

Thinking about the silver-haired deity in the next room, no doubt thought Miroku. He would have to find a way to get this young woman to think about him instead.

"Have you given any thought to staying on as priestess to the temple?" Miroku was hopeful that she would stay. Somehow the thought of dealing with the arrogant deity of the temple on a daily basis by himself did not appeal to him. That, and the thought of having Kagome's beauty to look at would almost make Inuyasha's attitude tolerable.

Kagome shook her head.

"Inuyasha has made it clear that I'm not wanted here. I'll be leaving as soon as you open the temple doors."

"Well, then, perhaps I should keep the doors closed. Surely even one as stubborn and arrogant as our deity will come to see the need for a priestess. And, you have already proven yourself. Not only do you seem to possess an unusual power, but you have stood up to Inuyasha and lived to see the light of a new day." The young priest remained hopeful that he could convince Kagome to stay, even if Inuyasha was trying to convince her otherwise.

"So you think I'm stubborn and arrogant?" Inuyasha stormed from his chambers, marching up to the young priest and challenging him.

"I only speak the truth, my lord. Surely you will come to see how necessary it is for the temple to have a priestess. And, the fates have brought us Kagome. If nothing else, you should remember that it was her touch that broke the seal of Kikyou's arrow."

Inuyasha turned from the priest, angry at having lost the argument with him before it had even really begun. Miroku was right. Kagome's actions of the day before proved that she would make a good priestess. Turning her away would make him look just as stubborn and arrogant as the young priest had described him.

"Stay or don't stay. It doesn't matter to me. However, priest, the woman will be your responsibility. I wish only to be left alone." He turned and glared at Kagome.

"I would like to stay, my lord." Kagome found herself unable to look Inuyasha in the eyes. He was a magnificent sight, standing before her as he was. He had removed the golden collar to sleep and had not yet put it back on. His lean, muscular body quivered less than an arm's reach from her and she found herself reacting to him in a way she had never done before.

"So be it," Inuyasha said before turning and re-entering his chambers.

"Welcome to the temple, Priestess Kagome. " .Miroku's joy at the addition of Kagome was evident in his smile. However, Kagome remained turned away from him, her eyes focused on the doorway Inuyasha had disappeared through only moments before.

Miroku sighed. Surely with time the young priestess would learn to appreciate his own attributes. Until, then, it would be up to him to supervise her in her duties. This was one responsibility he was looking forward to.

"I have already taken the liberty of picking some cloth from the storeroom. It will be necessary for you to come with me to the seamstress so that she can fit you for your robes." Miroku made a mental note to talk to the seamstress about Kagome's attire. He would make sure that the priestess was dressed in a way that was flattering to her perfect body. After all, if he was to work closely with her, it surely wouldn't hurt to make sure that she was dressed well.

Miroku quickly ate from the altar and opened one of the large wooden doors, leading Kagome into the growing sunlight. He closed the door behind him, knowing that any villagers who might come to the temple would not enter it when the doors were closed, even if they weren't locked. The young priest carried several bolts of fine cloth with him, humming quietly under his breath as he watched the new priestess walk beside him. Yes, this was one duty that he was going to actually like.

They continued to the village. Miroku chattered about everything from the weather to her duties. Kagome remained quiet, her mind still back at the temple. No matter how hard she tried, she simply could not shake Inuyasha's image from her mind.

Inuyasha had come out of his chambers as Miroku and Kagome left. He now stood at the doors to the temple, watching the retreating figures of the temple priest and priestess. He found himself smiling as he watched Kagome walking into the distance, and then chided himself. After all, he wanted to be left alone. Or, at least that was what he kept telling himself. He had enough of the hurt and betrayal that came from opening oneself up to others. However, no matter how hard he tried, he found himself unable to keep his thoughts from his new priestess and spent the rest of the morning pacing the floor, impatient for her return.