InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.

Temple of the Dog - Chapter 11

Torches on the wall cast irregular light in the hall as the small boy walked along it, carrying a plate of food. He glanced nervously from side to side as he made his way to the last chamber. One of the pharaoh's guard stood outside. He nodded to the boy and opened the heavy wooden door, allowing the boy entry before closing it behind him.

The boy looked around the dimly lit chamber, letting his eyes refocus. He spotted the chamber's resident and quickly moved towards him.

"I have food for you," he said. He appeared nervous and kept looking over his shoulder at the door. He could only hope that the guard wasn't listening.

The other boy lay still, his eyes the only indication that he had heard the first boy. He looked warily at him for a moment before slowly sitting up.

The first boy quickly approached him, his red hair looking nearly black in the dark chamber. He held the plate out, waiting for the second boy to take it.

"My name is Shippou, " he offered, trying to put the other boy at ease.

The second boy reached out a hand for the offered food. His dark hair and outfit made him almost blend into the dark room.

"You're a youkai," he stated. He started to eat.

Shippou looked worriedly over his shoulder. "Shhhh. If the guard hears you I could be in big trouble. " He paused and moved quietly to the door where he listened for a moment before returning to the second boy.

"How did you know?"

The dark-haired boy swallowed what he had been chewing on. "I'm trained to recognize youkai, even when they can do illusions."

Shippou nodded. "You aren't going to tell them, are you?"

The dark-haired boy shook his head. "I won't give you away." He took another large mouthful of the food and chewed silently for a moment.

"My name is Kohaku," he offered between bites.

Shippou just nodded, afraid to speak too much with the guard standing so close to the door. He had managed to maintain his special illusion enough to make everyone in the palace think he was a normal, human boy. Well, that is, everyone he had been in contact with. He knew the guards who were assigned to the dungeon and several of the young girls who worked in the kitchens. Mostly he stayed out of sight, afraid of someone seeing through his illusion.

"You're a youkai exterminator," Shippou said.

Kohaku wore a black, form-fitting outfit. His mandarin collar was trimmed in green. His shoulder and elbow armor had been taken from him, but Shippou could guess that they had been green, also.

He nodded silently, taking another bite of food.

"You're a long way from home, aren't you?" Shippou was determined to find out what was going on. He hadn't been at the palace long, but knew enough to wish he was anyplace else. Mostly he longed for his home.

"My sister and I were hired to do a job."

"How did you end up in the dungeon?" Shippou sat next to Kohaku, glad to have found someone he could talk to.

"They want to be sure my sister does the job. They're holding me until it's done."

"Your sister? A girl exterminator?" Shippou's surprise made Kohaku smile slightly.

"She's one of the best. No, she is the best." Kohaku put his empty plate on the floor. He leaned towards his red-haired companion. "I'm worried that something happened to her. I need to get out of here. Do you think you can help me?"

Shippou looked thoughtful for a moment. "I'm not sure what I can do, but I'll try. I only have one condition."

Kohaku closed his eyes and shook his head. "What's your condition?" he said dryly, expecting to be asked for gold.

"You have to take me with you when you go back…home." Shippou's voice quavered. His time in this strange land, working at the pharaoh's palace, had taken its toll on his nerves. He longed for his home, even though he knew he had no one to go home to.

"Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why?' Don't you miss your home? I'm tired of all the sand. I want to see trees and grass. I want to see the mountains." Shippou sat, looking at his hands as a single tear trailed down his face. For just a moment his illusion wavered and Kohaku could see the vague image of a fox youkai.

Kohaku glanced at the door before turning to Shippou. "Sure, I'll help you, but you have to help me get out of here. Even if Sango does what they brought us here to do, I have a feeling they don't plan on letting me go. Naraku doesn't seem to be a very trustworthy person." His voice had taken on a tone of contempt when he spoke of the pharaoh.

Shippou motioned for him to be quiet, pointing to the door where they could hear the guard moving the lock.

"Aren't you done feeding that brat yet?" the guard grumbled as he pulled the door open.

Shippou quickly grabbed the empty plate from the floor and hurried to the door. He turned to nod at Kohaku just as the door was closed.

Kohaku sat in the darkness. He didn't know how much help the fox youkai could give him, but any help was better than none at all. He stood up and walked the perimeter of the room, searching in vain for anything that would help him escape. The walls were solid and except for the hard, wooden cot he slept on, there was nothing else in the room. He silently prayed that Shippou would come through. Without the red-haired boy's help he might never get out of there.

The day was uneventful, but as time passed they began to see more people traveling the same road.

"We must be getting close to the city of the pharaoh," Miroku commented as his eyes followed two young women who walked in the opposite direction. He was rewarded with Sango's boomerang against his head.

"What was that for?" he asked innocently.

"You know what, " she said as she glared at him.

Miroku smiled his most charming smile at her. "I was just wondering how you would look in one of those dresses."

"Liar. You were thinking about how that girl would look out of that dress."

"Sango, I'm crushed that you would think such a thing about me. After all we shared last night." He leaned towards her and whispered something that caused her to blush.

"I think you have finally met your match, priest," Inuyasha interjected from behind them. He and Kagome had taken their usual place to the back of the party while Miroku and Sango walked ahead. Kirara walked near Sango, keeping her eyes and ears open to anything out of the ordinary.

The number of other travelers continued to increase as the day wore on. They found a well-appointed inn in a rather busy town for their noon-time meal. A number of people looked in wonder at Inuyasha, but he ignored their glances.

"Inuyasha, they are in awe of you. None of these people have ever seen a living deity. You should be a little more pleasant to them," Kagome scolded quietly. She had begun to feel a bit uncomfortable with the attention, but it was more because she didn't want word of her return to reach Naraku. The thought of what would happen if the pharaoh found her was more than she wanted to think about.

Each member of the party reacted differently as they neared their destination. Kagome became very quiet, her usual cheerful manner subdued by the dark thoughts that refused to leave her head. Miroku attempted to joke with Sango and the others, only to give up and walk silently next to Sango. Sango's thoughts had turned to her brother. She was beginning to get worried that her failed mission would bring the pharaoh's wrath down on Kohaku. Then there was Inuyasha, who became more agitated with each step. He still had no idea how they would go about saving Kohaku. He was also starting to worry that Kagome would be in danger if she returned to the city.

"Take off your robes," Inuyasha demanded of Kagome as the city came within sight.

"What?" She was shocked at his demand, refusing to obey him.

"You have your dress. You'll blend in better without wearing the priestess robes," he explained.

Kagome looked at her clothing and nodded quietly. She quickly undid the tie that held the filmy robes in place and slipped them off. Inuyasha grabbed them and wadded them into a bundle before forcing them into Kagome's pack on Kirara.

Miroku looked at his own attire. Not only was it obvious he was a priest, but his choice of colors was not standard. "I'm afraid we are all going to stand out, Inuyasha. Even dressed normally, Kagome will be noticed if for no other reason than she is traveling with us."

Sango motioned the others to a halt and quickly unloaded Kirara. The cat youkai quickly resumed her small cat form and jumped onto Sango's shoulder. Even in that tiny form she would attract attention. But, at least she wouldn't scare people.

Inuyasha moved to walk with Miroku as they neared the main part of the city. "Have you been here before?"

Miroku nodded. He glanced around to get his bearings before pointing to their left. "If I remember correctly there is an inn that way that might suit our purpose. They are used to visitors who, well, would rather not attract unwanted attention."

Inuyasha snarled at him. "It better be appropriate for Kagome or you'll answer to me, priest."

Miroku simply smiled. "There are both private and public rooms. I'm sure we can get a couple of the private rooms. We won't be disturbed there." Unless we want to be, he finished to himself before glancing at Sango and feeling guilty at the thought. It was funny, but his old desires were quickly dimming in light of the beautiful young woman who walked ahead of him. He found himself mesmerized by her backside and took a few quick steps to catch up with her.

"Do it and you die, priest," she hissed at him before turning to Kagome and smiling shyly. Letting Miroku grope her in private was one thing, but she definitely didn't want his hand on her backside with half the city watching.

Miroku leaned in to whisper to her. "I'll save it for when we're alone."

Sango blushed again and pushed him away from her. "Pervert!"

Miroku laughed.

Several rather dirty, drunk men were leaving the inn when they approached it. The men eyed Kagome and Sango and then nodded their approval as they walked towards the woman. Inuyasha and Miroku quickly stepped between them. Inuyasha growled menacingly at the men while Miroku tried to explain in a more rational voice that the ladies were spoken for.

The men nodded in accent and turned to leave, but they kept their eyes on the two young women until they were out of sight.

"Perverts," Miroku muttered.

Sango fought back the giggle that threatened to erupt from her. "Well, I guess it takes one to know one," she said dryly.

Inuyasha gave them a warning glare as the innkeeper approached their group. The man was better dressed than most of the patrons, but it was obvious his clothing was far from new and in desperate need of washing.

Miroku motioned for the group to stop and he went to speak with the innkeeper alone. He reached inside the pouch he carried and took out several gold coins, which he handed to the man. They were quickly led to the back part of the inn, away from the other guests. There were two rooms, each on one side of the dark, narrow hallway.

"I hope these will be suitable," the man said as he opened one of the doors.

The room was small and rather shabbily furnished. It was relatively clean compared to the inn's entrance, but not to Inuyasha's liking. The thought of Kagome staying in such squalor didn't set well with him.

Miroku shook his head at Inuyasha and waited for the innkeeper to leave before speaking.

"I know the rooms are less than desirable, but I'm sure the woman can make do for tonight. It's not like we'll be staying here longer."

Kagome slipped her hand into Inuyasha's and squeezed it gently. "It's okay. As Miroku said, it is just for one night, after all."

The deity grunted before taking her hand and pulling her into the room. He quickly closed the door on the others.

"Guess that means we get the other room." Miroku's voice was suggestive as he opened the second door and motioned for Sango to enter. He found himself unable to keep his hand from her backside as she walked past him, meriting a slap that left the familiar red hand-print on his face.

He closed the door and watched as Sango found a secure place for her boomerang. She straightened her kimono and overskirt before walking to Miroku and placing her hands firmly on his backside.

"Women," he laughed as he took her in his arms and kissed her.

"You seem to be in good spirits." Her tone was serious as she put her head on his shoulder and slipped her arms around his waist.

"Sorry. I usually joke when I'm nervous, " he responded as he pulled her to him. He couldn't blame her for her mood. After all, it was her brother's life that was at stake here. Sango had the most to lose.

He pulled her gently towards the bed and sat down, still holding her. Sango relaxed slightly in his arms, her mind still on her brother. Miroku cradled her in his arms, stroking her hair and repeating softly that everything would be all right.

He only hoped he was right.

Inuyasha pushed the door closed behind them and took Kagome into his arms. She gasped for breath as he crushed her to him.

"Sorry." He loosened his hold, but didn't release her. So much was at stake here. He was practically out of his mind with worry, but tried to hide it from her.

"We'll find Sango's brother. I'm sure of that," she whispered as she read his thoughts.

He held her closely, burying his face in her soft hair as he gently stroked her back.

"You are going to stay here, " he commanded.

"You can't expect me to stay here while you and Miroku go to the palace." There was a touch of fear in her voice.

"I'll ask Sango to stay with you. You'll be safer here than at the palace."

Kagome shook her head. "I want to go with you, Inuyasha."

"I need you to listen to what I say and follow my command this time." He lifted her face and kissed her long and hard. "We don't know exactly what we're going to face at the palace, and Miroku and I can move more quickly if it's just the two of us."

Kagome started to object, but Inuyasha cut her short by taking her lips with his. He held her to him as he kissed her.

She took a deep breath when he released her. "Okay, I'll stay, but only under protest. Besides, you're right. I'd only be in the way. I'm just a weak human."

"Don't talk like that," he snapped at her. "You are anything but weak, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being human."

"When are you and Miroku going?"

Inuyasha glanced at the door. He knew they would have to leave soon, but he wasn't looking forward to what had to be done. He would much rather stay here with his beautiful priestess.

"Soon." He kissed her again as he lifted her into his arms. "I'll be back just as quickly as I can. You make sure you don't leave…" The look he gave her told her in no uncertain terms that he expected her to do as he said.

"My home isn't far. Perhaps…"

He cut her off. "No, I want you to stay here. Your home would be the first place they'd look for you. Remember what that priest said. Pharaoh's guards are still looking for you."

Kagome nodded, "I'll stay here. But, you have to promise me that you'll be careful." She kissed him tenderly. "And, that you'll be back soon. I'll be waiting here for you."

"With a reason like that, you can bet I'll be back just as soon as I can."

He held her silently for several minutes. She snuggled against him, her arms lifting to wrap themselves around his neck. One hand slid along his silvery-white hair, coming to rest on the ear that was closest to her. She gently stroked it while she buried her face between his neck and shoulder.

"You start that up and I might never get out of here," he warned. A sound suspiciously like a low purr rumbled through his chest.

"It's just a taste of what will be waiting for you," she promised.

He kissed her long and deeply before carefully setting her down.

"Miroku and I had better get going. I'll be back." He gave her one last, quick kiss before he went to the door. He didn't look back, knowing that seeing her would only weaken his purpose.

"Please, be careful," she whispered as the door closed behind him.

A soft knock at the door interrupted Miroku and Sango. They still sat on the bed, wrapped in each other's arms. Miroku slipped away from her to go to the door.

"It's me, " Inuyasha growled softly.

Miroku opened the door and let the deity enter. He glanced into the hallway. "Where is Kagome?"

"She's staying here. The palace is no place for her right now."

The priest nodded.

Sango stood up. "Someone should stay with her."

Inuyasha nodded. "That's what I was going to talk to you about."

She turned and walked to her boomerang, lifting it effortlessly before going quickly to the door.

"You better not look at any women while you're away from me," she warned Miroku before giving him a quick kiss and leaving the room.

"You really have met your match," Inuyasha stated, the humor of his remark lost in his serious tone.

Miroku looked into the hallway, watching as Sango entered the other room. He could hear a noise at the closed door. He smiled slightly as he envisioned her placing her weapon across the closed door. What better way to prevent unwanted visitors?

The two men quickly left the inn and made their way down back streets and alleyways to the palace.

It loomed large in front of them, lit in the darkness by firepits spaced every few feet. They could see a large number of the pharaoh's guard standing along the top of the walls while others patrolled on ground level. It was not going to be easy to get inside.

Naraku looked up at the small girl who entered the throne room. She was dressed completely in white, including the small mirror she carried. Even her hair was void of color, matching her attire perfectly.

"You found something, Kanna?" The pharaoh leaned forward in anticipation

"I have found her, " she said in a low, monotone voice as she held out the mirror for Naraku to see.

He quickly came down the stairs that led to his throne and looked closely at the mirror.

"Excellent," he noted as he caught a glimpse of Kagome in the mirror. From the looks of her surroundings, she was in a run-down establishment of some type. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out exactly where.

"Bring me the head of my guards," he ordered.

A dark-haired woman moved out of the shadows where she had been sitting. She wore a red and white striped kimono over a second, blue one. Her hair was in a high ponytail, accented by with several white feathers. In her hand was a white fan decorated with red swirls.

"As you wish, Naraku," she drawled before bowing slightly and leaving the room.

The pharaoh watched her leave. He looked at Kanna. "You are to keep an eye on Kagura. I don't trust the way she's been acting lately."

"Yes, my lord," the pale girl replied in her monotone voice.

So, Kagome had been found. Soon he would have her at the palace and everything would be as planned. He glanced up as another young woman entered the chamber.

"You're finally here. The next time I send for you, I expect you to come right away, Kikyou," he scowled at the priestess.

"I am not your servant," she hissed. Her long, black hair framed her pale face. Her eyes reflected her contempt of the pharaoh.

"It isn't wise to anger me, I assure you. I had you brought back from the dead. I could just as easily return you there." He walked slowly back to the throne, sitting down and folding his hands slowly across his lap.

"I never asked to be resurrected!" Kikyou's voice was shrill with her anger. She moved away from him and sat on a stone bench not far from the door.

"No, you didn't, did you," the pharaoh mused as he let his thoughts wander to the other young woman he sought.

He sat silently until Kagura returned with one of his personal guard.

"Ah, I need your help. It seems that you are familiar with some of the, well, highly frequented places in the city. I'm hoping you might recognize this place."

Kanna held the mirror up for the guard to see. He looked confused at first, and then noticed the image where the reflection should be. He could see a young woman. She looked worried. Behind here there were tattered wall hangings and several burning torches on the wall.

"Yes, I know it," the guard said. He looked at the pharaoh questioningly.

"You are to take your best men there. I suggest you don't return without the girl."

The guard took another look into the mirror. He studied the girl in the image, uncertain why she was so important to the pharaoh, but unwilling to question an order.

"Yes, sir. I won't fail you." He bowed as he snapped his heels together.

"Ah, and Kagura," Naraku spoke as she turned to leave. "You are to go with them. I have a feeling they might need some of your special assistance."

Kagura nodded, bowing low with her fan in front of her. "As you wish, my lord." Her voice oozed with sarcasm. He would deal with her later, after she had helped recover the girl.

Kagura, Kanna, and the guard left the room. Naraku sat back and smiled to himself.

"You aren't the only woman with special powers," he offered, looking at Kikyou.

She glared at him but said nothing.

He simply smiled back.

Inuyasha and Miroku glanced around them before ducking behind a pillar.

"Okay, since you think you're so smart, tell me what we should do," Inuyasha whispered.

Miroku shook his head. "I never said I knew what to do. I am a little familiar with the palace, but we first have to get inside without getting caught. I figured you would find a way."

Inuyasha sighed. They would have to figure out something soon or risk getting caught by the guards.

A movement near the palace wall caught his attention. It looked very much like a small boy with very red hair. He sniffed the air and opened his eyes wide in surprise.

"Where are you going?" Miroku hissed as Inuyasha bounded towards the boy. He quickly grabbed him and returned to the pillar where the priest still hid. The boy dangled from Inuyasha's grasp, obviously afraid. He looked up at Inuyasha, only to be raised to eye level with the deity.

"You're a youkai," Inuyasha stated simply.

The boy's eyes flew open. "What? How do you know?" He glanced up and down at the deity, his eyes coming to rest on Inuyasha's ears. "You're a hanyou?"

Inuyasha nodded and sat the boy on the ground next to them. Miroku stared in amazement as the almost normal-looked boy suddenly transformed into a fox youkai. He stood on two legs and his hands and head seemed almost human, but his feet were little paws and behind him was a rather large, fluffy tail.

"You look like you came from the palace." Inuyasha stated, rather than asked.

Shippou nodded. "You're that deity. The pharaoh ordered that you be killed."

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "How do you know about that?"

"I talked to a boy in the dungeon. He said that his sister was sent to kill you."

"Sango?" Miroku asked.

"I think that's her name. How do you know?" Shippou looked worriedly at the two men, suddenly worried that he had said too much and to the wrong people.

"Where is her brother? Can you help us find him?" Inuyasha demanded as he pulled Shippou around to face him.

"You want to help him?" The little fox youkai was amazed. He had been wracking his brains out, trying to find some way to help Kohaku get out of the dungeon, only to have the answer fall right into his hands. He thought for a moment and suddenly looked at the two men suspiciously. "Or, maybe you want to hurt him. If his sister was supposed to kill you, but you're here, then obviously she failed. Maybe you just want to take revenge on her brother."

Miroku shook his head in warning at Inuyasha. Now was the time for diplomacy, and the priest was well versed in its use.
"Sango is fine. We stopped her and then found out why she attacked Inuyasha. It isn't her fault and we promised to help her save her brother."

"Besides, Miroku has taken Sango as his woman, " the deity remarked somberly.

Miroku reacted in surprise. He hadn't actually thought about it that way. Hearing it put into words like that made him feel good, though. Yes, Sango was his woman.

Shippou looked at the priest, noting the suddenly thoughtful look on the man's face.

"If you know Sango, then where is she?" the fox youkai demanded.

"She's with Kagome, " Miroku offered, realizing that they would have to explain who Kagome was. He paused. "She's the temple priestess. And, Inuyasha's woman."

Shippou nodded and then motioned the two men to follow him. They crossed the street to an alleyway between two buildings. The fox youkai led them down the walkway to the back of one of the buildings where he opened a door and disappeared. Miroku and Inuyasha followed, not knowing what to expect.

They found themselves in a small room. There was a single table and chair and a small wood cot. Otherwise the room was empty.

Shippou went to the table and held out his hand. "Fox fire," he said, sending a pulse of blue light at the candle that stood in the middle of the table. A small flame appeared, quickly building to spread light to that part of the room.

The fox demon went to the cot and reached beneath it, pulling out some papyrus and a writing quill. He placed them on the table and looked expectantly at the two men.

"Now, how exactly do you plan on rescuing Kohaku?"

Inuyasha growled under his breath as Miroku shrugged. "We really don't know. I don't remember there being this many guards at the palace before. I guess we thought it would be relatively easy to get in."

Shippou nodded. "The palace guards have been increased recently. There probably weren't that many when you were there. I'm not sure why, but the pharaoh seems to be a bit paranoid lately." He sat on the ground and brought one of his legs up to scratch himself behind his ear. "There are rumors that he had a sorceress come to the palace, but nobody saw her leave. There's also the strange priestess. Nobody seems to know who she is or where she's from."

Miroku moved to sit in the chair. "You said you were at the dungeons. Can you help us get to them?"

"Sure," Shippou announced as he jumped up on Miroku's lap and pulled the papyrus to him. "I figured you might want me to draw you a map. I'm pretty good at drawing, you know."

Inuyasha watched quietly over the priest's shoulder as the fox youkai mapped out the lower level of the palace for them. He took time to explain what he was drawing. By the time he was done, both Miroku and Inuyasha knew they could find their way to Kohaku.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Shippou rolled up the map and went to the door, waiting on the others. They followed him silently. Even with a map and Shippou as a guide, this was not going to be easy.

Sango checked out the bed, deciding that it was far too dirty to be slept in. She quickly stripped off the blanket and went to her pack, pulling out the one she had used on their trip. It only took her a moment to position it on the bed. She glanced at Kagome, "You should get some rest."

Kagome shook her head. "I'm not tired. I want to wait up for Inuyasha."

The youkai exterminator nodded. "Well, I'm going to try to get some rest. The bed is plenty big. If you get tired, you can share it with me." She lay down. Kirara jumped up beside her and curled herself into a ball of fur.

The priestess couldn't shake the feeling of foreboding that had been with her since they arrived at the inn. Surely Inuyasha and Miroku would be careful. She refused to think about what would happen if they were caught.

Kagome paced the floor for a while, glancing every so often at Sango. The young woman had fallen into a fitful sleep. Apparently her dreams were being invaded by the very thoughts Kagome was trying to shake.

Their room was situated at the back of the inn. The only entrance to it was the one that was now blocked by Sango's boomerang. Two walls faced the outside, but there were no windows. There was no reason for her to worry, but the feeling of dread continued to increase until she felt like she wanted to scream.

Her attention was drawn by a noise. It seemed to be coming from the back wall.

Suddenly the wall collapsed and a number of the pharaoh's guards rushed in. Sango jumped from the bed and grabbed at her boomerang, only to be forced back by a barrage of something she couldn't identify. She called out to Kagome, only to be thrown back into the room. Her last memory was of Kagome being grabbed by several of the guards. Then there was blackness.

Inuyasha and Miroku followed Shippou into the darkness of the alleyway. They quickly worked their way back to the main street which was well lit from the fires and torches set to illuminate the pharaoh's palace. Oversized statues of Naraku lined the front of the palace while members of his personal guard stood guard. It seemed their number had increased while they were in Shippou's room.

Miroku looked worried. "I don't see how we are going to get past all those guards."

Shippou motioned to them to follow him. He had taken on the illusion of being a human boy again as he skirted the palace wall and headed to an area to the side where there were no guards.

"Follow me," he ordered as he pressed on some of the stones. To their surprise, the stones moved, opening up a small passage through the wall. Shippou started to crawl through. "It might be a little tight but you guys should be able to make it through." He quickly disappeared from sight.

Inuyasha quickly dropped to the ground and crawled through, followed by Miroku. Once they were inside, Shippou pushed the stones back into place. He smiled proudly at the two men and the turned and half-ran down the hallway. He led them through the palace, shifting to different hallways whenever they came upon someone. They remained unseen as they came to a set of stairs leading down. Torches burned along the staircase but offered little real light.

The three made their way soundlessly to the dungeon, coming to a stop at the foot of the stairs. A long hallway ran to their left. Shippou signaled them to wait and then walked slowly to the end of the hall, trying his best to appear casual as he approached the guard.

"What do you want?" the man demanded. "The prisoner has already eaten."

Shippou looked down at his feet, trying to look as innocent as possible. "When I came here earlier to bring him food I had something with me. I think I dropped it in the room. Would you mind if I went in and looked?"

"What was it you think you dropped in there, " the guard asked.

"Um… It was a writing quill," Shippou lied as he smiled at the guard.

"Don't make me laugh, " the guard grunted. "There is no way a boy like you can write."

"I don't use it for writing. It use it for drawing. I like to draw," the fox youkai said.

The guard looked irritated, but opened the door to let Shippou in. "Hurry up. I could get in a lot of trouble doing this."

The guard failed to notice the two men who came up behind him. Just as he turned around he felt something hit him on the back of the head.

The man fell to the floor, unconscious.

"Well, that was easy enough, " Miroku observed.

"And it's going to get a lot harder from this point on," Inuyasha snarled as he grabbed the guards arms and pulled him into the cell.

Shippou had already explained to Kohaku what they were attempting to do. The two boys ran to the hallway and watched silently as Inuyasha dragged the guard into the cell that had housed Kohaku and closed the door. He moved the locking bar into place, making sure not to make any noise.

Kohaku looked at Inuyasha and Miroku. "Thank you. I don't know how I'll ever be able to repay you. I 'm wondering, though, if you know where my sister is?"

Miroku nodded. "She's waiting for us with Kagome. We'll take you to her just as soon as we get out of this place."

A noise coming from the end of the hall startled them. Shippou ran to a dark staircase and led them back to the main level. They came out in a small hallway off main hall and quickly moved to the end, peeking around the corner of the wall. There was some kind of commotion going on, involving several guards and a young woman carrying a rather large boomerang.

"Sango," Miroku whispered. What the hell was she doing there? She was supposed to be at the inn, keeping watch on Kagome.

Inuyasha realized the implication of the youkai exterminator's presence. He quickly ran into the hall and helped finish off the last of the guards. Sango stood staring at him, a look of anguish on her face.

"They took Kagome," she gasped as she swung her boomerang onto her back.

Inuyasha grabbed her by the shoulders. "Who took Kagome? Where is she?" His voice caught in his throat as her words sank in. Kagome was gone. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she had been taken by the pharaoh's guards. Why else would Sango have stormed into the palace? She had been left to protect Kagome and was determined to do whatever it took to get her friend back.

Kohaku ran up to Sango, throwing his arms around her. "Sango!"

Sango looked at her brother in disbelief for a moment before putting one arm around him in a big hug.

Inuyasha snarled, "We don't have time for family reunions. We have to find Kagome."

Miroku looked at the two boys. "Shippou, maybe you can sneak Kohaku out of the palace and wait for us. We'll meet you at your room."

Shippou nodded and then grabbed Kohaku's arm. "Come on. They don't need us in their way."

The boys scurried off, Shippou's knowledge of the palace guiding them to safety.

Inuyasha turned to Sango. "You said you had been to the pharaoh's public chamber. Can you lead us there?"

Sango quickly nodded and headed down the hallway. She didn't pause when she came to a flight of stairs leading up, but took them two at a time. Miroku and Inuyasha were right behind her. Several palace guards challenged them, only to be knocked senseless by the three intruders. Nothing was going to stand in the way of them finding Kagome.

"I'll kill that Naraku," Inuyasha snarled under his breath as another set of guards tried to stop them.

"Keep going," Miroku yelled as he knocked a guard senseless. "We'll handle this. You go and find Kagome."

Inuyasha nodded and slammed a guard against the wall as he raced by. He ran down the hallway, coming to an abrupt stop in front of what had to be the entrance to Naraku's public chamber. The deity knocked the two guards into each other and rushed through the door.