InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.

Temple of the Dog - Chapter 13

The companions worked their way around the unconscious bodies of the temple guards that were scattered throughout the pharaoh's chamber and the hallway beyond. Dead youkai remains were mixed with the motionless humans.

"Where are we going to go?" Sango asked as they passed the guards she and Miroku had fought with when she first entered the palace. Several of the guards had started to move as consciousness returned to them.

"I suggest we get out of the palace first. Then we can talk about where to go from there," Miroku mumbled as he motioned to the waking guards.

Inuyasha grunted and took Kagome's hand. He quickly guided her around the carnage and to the palace's entrance. The others quickly followed.

Sango paused at the palace entrance as the others quickly descended the stairs to the street below.

"Sango, " Miroku hissed as he motioned her to follow.

The youkai exterminator shook her head. "I have to find Kohaku. The pharaoh was holding him until I did my job." She looked up at the large statues of Naraku that stood on each side of the palace's main entrance. "I failed. I only hope he's okay."

"Your brother's fine. We got him out of here before all the fighting started," Inuyasha commented as he tugged on Kagome's hand and pulled her to where he stood.

Kagome pointed up the street. "We can go to the temple. My grandfather won't be there this late, but I know the other priests. They'll help."

Miroku nodded and held his hand out to Sango. "We'll bring your brother to you. Just go to the temple with Kagome."

Inuyasha looked at Miroku, who was still obviously showing symptoms of the scorpion poison he had taken in during the battle. "I'll go. The rest of you go to the temple and wait there for me."

Miroku gave Inuyasha a glare. "I'm fully capable of going with you…"

"I'm counting on you to keep the women safe." Inuyasha glanced at Kagome.

The priest nodded. "I'll get them safely to the temple. Just be careful. The guards in the streets won't know what's happened. If they catch you, there could be trouble."

Inuyasha nodded and turned to Kagome. "Are you sure you'll be all right? There are still soldiers out that haven't heard the news. Remember, they were instructed to find you."

The priestess nodded. "I'll be careful. The temple isn't far, and I'll have Miroku and Sango with me. Just go and get her brother. We'll wait at the temple for you."

Sango slowly walked down the palace stairs and stopped in front of Inuyasha. "You'll bring Kohaku to me, right? Please, I have to know that he's all right."

The deity looked her in the eyes and nodded silently.

"Well, I'd better get out of here, " Inuyasha grumbled. He turned to Kagome and quickly took her into his arms. "You just get to the temple and wait there for me. I'll be right back."

Kagome nodded and gave her deity a quick kiss before pulling away and motioning to the others to follow her. The three quickly disappeared down the street.

Inuyasha glanced around quickly before sprinting off in the direction of Shippou's room. He reached the door in moments and tried to lift the latch to open it. The door was locked.

"Shippou, open up," he whispered as he rapped his knuckles lightly against the aged wood.

He could hear movement in the room beyond the door. The sound of creaking wood was followed by the door opening, revealing a small, reddish-haired figure. The room itself was dark, except for the glow of a single candle on the table in its center.

"Move," Inuyasha commanded as he pushed past Shippou and entered the room. "You don't want the guards to find us, now, do you?"
Shippou shook his head and quickly closed the door behind them.

"I brought him here, just like you told me to," the kitsune quipped. He was obviously feeling proud of his accomplishment as he motioned to where Kohaku sat on the edge of the bed.

"Good," Inuyasha grunted. "Now we have to get him to the temple."

"Temple? What temple? There are temples all around this city," the kitsune announced.

"The temple where Kagome's grandfather is a priest," Inuyasha snapped impatiently. "The others have gone on ahead, but I'm still worried. I want to get there and make sure Kagome's all right."

Kohaku stood up and moved to join the others. "What about my sister? Is Sango all right?"

Inuyasha nodded silently. He was obviously agitated. "Let's just get the hell out of here."

Shippou went to the door and quickly moved the latch. "Someone blow out the candle," he instructed before he pushed the door open and stepped into the alley beyond.

The others followed and they quickly made their way back to the temple, making sure to stay out of sight as much as possible. While the guards that were in the pharaoh's chambers had heard the truth, they were sure to run into those who hadn't if they weren't careful. They had several near run-ins with soldiers, but Inuyasha managed to direct the two boys into the shadows before they were discovered.

It took only a few minutes for them to reach the temple. Kagome stood just inside the entrance, a worried expression on her face. She smiled when she saw Inuyasha approaching.

"Quickly, come inside," she instructed as she waved her hand in the direction of the inner temple.

The others quickly left the street and made their way to the back of the temple. Several priests were sitting at a long, stone table. They looked up when they heard their guests enter the room and quickly stood to greet them.

"It is an honor having you at our temple, my lord," one said to Inuyasha. The others added their own greetings and bowed to the visiting deity.

The first priest spoke again. "It's only a shame that it should come with such unfortunate circumstances. We have already been told by both Kagome and several of the pharaoh's personal guard about the events at the palace. To think that we believed in our leader. It's a dark day, indeed, for our people."

Kagome motioned to her friends to take seats at the table. She looked surprised when she saw Shippou, who no longer wore the illusion of a human, but instead appeared in his usual form. Pointed ears jutted through his reddish-brown hair and his feet appeared to be more canine than human. Puffed out from behind him was a rather large, fluffy tail.

"You're not human?" Kagome asked, her confusion obvious.

Shippou realized that his illusion had faded in the excitement. "I'm a youkai. A kitsune to be exact," he announced proudly.

Kagome surprised him by quickly going to him and gathering him up in her arms. "You're adorable!"

Inuyasha grunted. He reached out to Kagome and pulled her onto his lap as he sat on one of the stone chairs. Shippou remained comfortably in her arms.

"Inuyasha," the priestess murmured, blushing when she noticed the stares of the temple priests.

The head priest smiled. "I see our Kagome has finally found her calling. I'm glad to see that she has found a deity befitting her abilities as a priestess."

Kagome blushed and nodded silently.

"Perhaps we can convince her to dance for us," another priest commented. He was a small, slightly rotund man who eyed Kagome as he spoke.

"No!" Inuyasha snapped. "Kagome only dances for me."

The head priest gave his underling a harsh glance. "Of course. I'm sure no insult was intended. It's just that we have had the pleasure of Kagome dancing at the temple before and thought perhaps she would like to join with our temple dancers in paying homage to your presence at our temple."

Inuyasha shook his head. "There won't be any need for that. We won't be here long. After everything that's happened, I'm hoping to return to my temple as soon as possible."

The head priest nodded again. "Of course. You will let us know if there is anything we can do for you. We'll be happy to help you gather whatever supplies you need to take back with you."

Kagome whispered to her deity. "I'd like to see my family before we leave."

Inuyasha smiled at his priestess. "You'll have time to see your family. But, it is important that I return to the temple."

Miroku spoke from the other side of the room. "Perhaps you could go ahead and Kagome could return with me. I'll be sure to get the supplies we need and bring them when I'm done."

The deity nodded thoughtfully. "That sounds all right. As long as you make sure that Kagome remains safe." He paused and looked first at Kagome and then back at his priest. "Safe from you, too."

"I would never dream of…" Miroku paused when he saw the look of anger on Sango's face. "Besides, I have my hands full with my own woman."

The youkai exterminator blushed when the others turned to look at her. She hissed at Miroku. "I don't remember agreeing to be your woman."

Miroku looked puzzled. "Then what about the other night, on the sand?"

Sango quickly lifted the bone boomerang, which had been resting against the edge of the large table.

Miroku feigned surprise. "I only speak the truth, after all."

Kagome quickly brought the attention back to her and Inuyasha. "I'll return with Inuyasha," she said softly. "My place is with my deity, after all."

Inuyasha looked at her. "Kagome, you don't have to return with me. Your family is important to you."

The priestess lay her head on his shoulder. "You're important to me. I'm not going to leave you. Nothing's going to change my mind."

Inuyasha grunted. "Well, perhaps we can stay for one day. I can't stay any longer. But, one day probably wouldn't hurt. We can leave first thing the day after tomorrow."

Kagome nodded against his shoulder. It was late and it was obvious that most of their group was becoming sleepy. Shippou had already dozed off in Kagome's arms.

The head priest stood up. "The hour is late. Our guests are tired and we need to provide beds for those who would stay at the temple tonight."

Several priests stood up and left to make arrangements for the unexpected guests.

Inuyasha stood, lifting Kagome and the sleeping kitsune in his arms. "If someone could direct me to Kagome's home…"

The head priest motioned to one of his subordinates. The young priest nodded and walked to the living deity. "I'd be happy to lead you there. It's only a short distance."

Inuyasha looked at Miroku. "I'll take Kagome to her house. We'll meet back here in the morning to make arrangements."

Miroku nodded and turned to talk to two of the priests about their sleeping arrangements.

"I can walk," Kagome mumbled sleepily as Inuyasha carried her to the temple's entrance.

"I have you. We'll be at your home in just a moment."

Inuyasha followed the young priest into the street. Despite the late hour, the streets were crowded with people moving in the direction of the pharaoh's palace. Their confusion was obvious as bits and pieces of the story of the fall of their leader reached them.

One of the pharaoh's personal guards saw Inuyasha and quickly moved to his side. "It's best if you keep off the streets until the chaos dies down."

Inuyasha shook his head. "I need to get to Kagome's home."

The guard nodded and spoke to the young priest who had been assigned to lead Inuyasha. The guard then motioned and lead the small procession down an alleyway, taking them away from the noisy crowd.

They reached Kagome's house without incident. The guard took a stand outside the door. "I'll stay here and make sure you aren't disturbed. There are still members of the general troops you haven't heard the news. I saw what happened first-hand. I know it was our pharaoh who betrayed us. You did nothing wrong."

The young priest knocked on the wooden door. It only took a moment for someone to ask who was calling at the late hour.

"Mama, it's me," Kagome answered as Inuyasha gently set her on her feet. She still clutched the sleeping kitsune to her as she leaned against Inuyasha.

The sound of a wooden bar being lifted was followed by the opening of the door. A woman stood in the doorway. From her appearance it was obvious that she was Kagome's mother. She looked on in surprise as Kagome stepped into the house, followed closely by Inuyasha.

The young priest bowed to Inuyasha. "I'm going to talk to the guard before returning to the temple. I'll come by in the morning to escort you back to the temple."

Kagome's mother quickly closed the door and put the locking bar back into place.

"Kagome, we have been so worried about you. When we heard the pharaoh was looking for you, we could only assume the worst."

"I'm fine, Mama." Kagome turned and handed Shippou to Inuyasha. The deity bulked and grunted, but finally took the sleeping kitsune from his priestess. Kagome then turned to her mother and gave the woman a hug.

"I don't understand," the woman started. "There are rumors, and then you show up in the company of one of the pharaoh's own personal guard. And then there's…" She paused and stared at Inuyasha and Shippou.

"Mama, this is Inuyasha. I've taken my place as priestess at his temple."

Her mother nodded. "So, at least some of the rumors are true. I had heard that the living deity had been awakened. I never dreamed it was my own daughter who did it."

Kagome smiled at Inuyasha. "The little guy he's holding is Shippou. He's a youkai."

"A kitsune," Shippou mumbled sleepily. Inuyasha's hold on him was uncomfortable and he had awakened. He now jumped out of Inuyasha's arms and ran to Kagome.

"I don't know what to say," her mother continued. "A living deity in our home. We're hardly equipped for a visit by someone of your position."

Inuyasha shifted uncomfortably. "I don't need anything. I just came with Kagome. She wanted to see her family."

Mama turned and studied the silver-haired hanyou. "I just have one question. Are they real?" She had moved forward and reached up, rubbing his ears between her fingertips.

"Mama!" Kagome stammered as she saw her mother playing with Inuyasha's ears. "Yes, they're real!"

Her mother pulled back her hands. "Sorry. I just couldn't help myself. I've never met a living deity before."

Inuyasha grumbled and glanced at Kagome. The priestess only giggled, remembering how she had done the same thing the first time she saw Inuyasha. Of course, he had still been sealed at the time and didn't know about it.

"Mama, we're going to stay for a couple of nights, if that's all right with you."

Mama stammered. "Kagome, are you sure? We're simple people. We're hardly set up for accommodating a deity."

Kagome hugged her mother. "You worry too much. Inuyasha likes things simple. We'll be fine."

A noise from an adjoining room caught their attention.

"What's all the commotion about?" An elderly man came into the room. He ran his hands through his gray hair and rubbed at his eyes. "Can't an old man get any sleep around here?"

"Grandfather." Kagome moved to the old man and threw her arms around his neck, giving him a hug.

"Kagome! By the gods, I never expected to see you here!" The old man pushed the priestess to arm's length and looked her over. Her priestess robes were gone, and the simple shift she wore under them was torn and dirty from the events of the day. "I guess I should have known better than believe in the rumors. The stories say you finally found your calling as priestess."

Kagome looked at her clothing. With everything that had happened, she hadn't noticed just how rag-tag she now looked.

"Kagome is a priestess. She is the priestess of my temple," Inuyasha said with a touch of annoyance in his voice.

"By the gods! Then the rumors were true? My own granddaughter, priestess to the only living deity!"

The old man placed himself before Inuyasha and bowed deeply.

"Feh!" the deity grunted.

"I am at your service, my lord. I humble myself before you. You only need command me…"

Inuyasha was feeling uncomfortable. "You don't have to do that. I'm here with Kagome. I don't expect any special treatment."

Kagome's mother laughed softly. "Perhaps we can continue this conversation in the morning. It's very late and I'm sure everyone could use a good night's sleep."

The young priestess nodded and turned to Inuyasha. "My room's this way."

"You plan on him sleeping in your room?"

Inuyasha looked at the grandfather. "She shares my room at the temple. I don't see a problem with it."

The old man looked on in shock. "You share a room? So, you are more than just a priestess to him?"

Kagome's mother turned to her daughter. "Kagome, you never said he was your husband."

Inuyasha stopped and looked back at Kagome's family. "Wait a minute. We haven't had a ceremony or anything. It's just…" He paused, unable to find words to express himself.

"Ceremony?" Kagome's mother looked confused. "What type of ceremony are you talking about?"

"A wedding ceremony, of course. It's not like we're actually married or anything," Inuyasha grumbled.

"She shares your room. She shares your bed, too, I assume. That makes her your wife. There's no need for a ceremony," the grandfather said sternly.

"Perhaps the ways of the deities require a ceremony?" Mama asked.

Inuyasha looked at Kagome. She closed her eyes and looked away. "Then it is only because of my duties as your priestess."

The hanyou shook his head. "You know that's not true. It's just that, well, where I'm from a man and woman have a ceremony when they marry. I never thought about us being married."

Kagome nodded silently and turned to leave the room. "I'm going to bed."

Shippou started to follow her, but Kagome's mother caught his sleeve. "Perhaps you should sleep somewhere else. I think my daughter and her deity need to talk privately."

The kitsune glared at Inuyasha and allowed himself to be led through another doorway.

"Kagome," the hanyou started. The hurt in Kagome's voice spoke more than words. He followed her to her room, pulling her to him when they were both inside.

"Please, don't," the priestess started. The tears that had gathered on the way to her room began to fall, leaving wet trails down her cheeks. Her shoulders began to shake with her crying.

"You know I love you, Kagome. I just never thought about things in those terms. I thought I would have to get your family's permission first. Where I'm from we do things differently."

Kagome tried unsuccessfully to pull away from him. He caught her around the waist and pulled her closer to him. Before she could protest he had captured her lips with his.

"Inuyasha," she sobbed against him.

"Does that mean you really will be my wife?" He held her close, feeling her body shaking against him. "I'm a hanyou, Kagome. Where I'm from nobody would want me. Both the youkai and humans look down on hanyou."

"I love you, Inuyasha. I didn't share your bed because it was my duty. I shared it because of how I feel about you."

"Then, be my wife. According to the customs of your land, you already are, I guess. Besides, nothing would make me happier."

Kagome looked up at him. "Do you really mean that?"

"I've never lied to you. I never will."

Inuyasha glanced around the room. It was small and sparsely furnished. There was a single wooden cot and a low table. Several soft cushions were piled in the open area of the floor.

"You need rest," he mumbled as he released her. He gathered the cushions in the darkened room and piled them against an open area of wall. "Come on, let's get some sleep."

Kagome followed him to the cushions, allowing herself to be pulled into his lap as he lowered himself to the floor. The cushions formed a soft nest for them as they made themselves comfortable in each others' arms.

Inuyasha turned her face to his and kissed her gently. "Goodnight, wife."

Kagome snuggled against him, only to be surprised when a small, warm ball of fur jumped into her lap.

"Shippou?"

"I want to sleep here," the kitsune announced.

Inuyasha grumbled.

"Inuyasha," Kagome chided. "We are going to sleep after all. What's the harm?"

"Just don't get used to it, runt," he muttered at Shippou. "When we're back at the temple, you won't be sharing a bed with us."

"Whatever, " the kitsune said cheerfully as he made himself comfortable against Kagome.

Both the priestess and kitsune were asleep almost immediately. Inuyasha held Kagome close as she slept, enjoying her warmth and softness against him. He remained awake for a while, thinking about the events of the day. He glanced out the small window high on the bedroom wall. A small crescent of mood was framed by the opening. Another two nights. He would have to be sure he was back at the temple before the sun set in two more days. He fell asleep worrying about the upcoming new moon.