InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.
 
Please note - for some reason, chapters of fanfics I uploaded to Mediaminer lose their formatting on upload, despite the fact that I am using the same word processing program I always do and saving the file the same way. If the formatting is not correct, it is due to the upload and not in the original file. I work from an older MacIntosh and there is an incompatibility between the programming used by MM.org and my computer. I have attempted to correct the problem by playing with the formatting. However, I won't know until upload if what I have done will work correctly.
 
You can find some amazing fanart to go with the story at totd.deviantart.com. Be sure to check out the contest for a t-shirt design from the story at my page - urd-chan.deviantart.com.
 
 
 
Temple of the Dog - Chapter 19
 
By Urd-chan
 
 
Kagura leaned against a pillar, glancing from her balcony to that of the new pharaoh's. She could see no sign of movement, but was sure that Sesshoumaru was aware she was watching him. The wind user opened her fan and swept it lightly across the space in front of her. Her movement created a soft breeze, blowing her hair and gown around her. The early morning air was still otherwise, promising another scorching day.
The heat in this place is unbearable, she thought to herself as she moved back into her quarters. She longed to soar through the desert sky, feeling the air rush across her. Sitting all day in a dark, airless palace was hardly something a wind user found appealing.
Kagura turned when she heard a soft, muffled noise outside her door. Unlike the guards, who she could hear from a distance down the corridor outside her room, this sound was almost unnoticeable. She moved silently towards her door and listened as the soft padding of bare feet retreated down the narrow passageway. When her visitor had moved out of earshot, the wind user opened the heavy wooden door. A quick glance each way told her that she was alone, and she shook her head. Now, what was that all about? she thought as she grasped the smooth wood of the door and pulled. Something caught her attention and she paused, smiling slightly when she saw the single lotus flower on the floor. So, her visitor had brought her a present. Kagura reached down and scooped up the flower before retreating into her room, puzzled that anyone would have left the fragrant blossom for her.
She had barely closed the door when a new sound caught her attention. So, the guards were back. She could only assume that she would be invited to another audience with the pharaoh. Kagura picked up the polished bronze mirror and studied her reflection. Her dark hair hung loose, cascading over her shoulders. She had already dressed in anticipation of another meeting with the mysterious new pharaoh, wearing a one-shouldered gown that left her right arm bare. On impulse, she picked up the lotus flower from where she had dropped it on her bed and tucked it behind one ear. She took a final glance in her mirror before placing it back on the low table.
The room reverberated from the sound of a fist striking her door.
“The pharaoh requests your presence in his audience chamber,” a gruff voice rattled. It was the same soldier who had come to get her the previous day.
Requests? Kagura thought to herself with a smile. It's not like Sesshoumaru would take lightly to any disobedience. However, there was no reason to rush. She would make sure that the handsome youkai who sat on the throne knew that she was not to be taken lightly.
“I'll be out momentarily,” the wind user said. Her voice was edged with a touch of sarcasm as she moved to the edge of her bed and sat down. Yes, she would make the guards outside her door wait for her, just as she was making the pharaoh wait. She had been ordered around enough by Naraku and was not about to let the silver-haired youkai who had taken his place do the same.
“The pharaoh is waiting,” the gruff voice snarled from outside her door.
“A lady needs time to prepare for a meeting with her leader,” Kagura said with a sly grin. She could picture the look of frustration on the ruddy-faced human who shifted nervously outside her chambers. She was starting to enjoy toying with the man and laughed softly when she heard him mumble to one of his subordinates.
Another knock sounded on her door. “The pharaoh does not like to be kept waiting,” the guard grunted.
The wind user rose slowly to her feet and walked leisurely to the doorway. She slowly lifted the locking bar and pushed open the heavy door, giving the waiting guards a glance before moving into the corridor. Kagura moved ahead of the men, leading them to the audience chamber.
 
“It's about time,” Jaken hissed as Kagura walked casually into the dim room. A number of torches burned in scones along the walls, their light centering on the raised dais that held an ornate throne.
Sesshoumaru lounged in the chair, appearing at first not to notice the arrival of the wind user. Kagura paused at the foot of the stairs leading to his perch, crossing her arms and looking bored.
Jaken signaled to the guards to close the heavy doors before he returned to his place near the wind user.
“Sesshoumaru is not one you should keep waiting,” the green youkai said as he glanced nervously at his leader.
“Enough, Jaken,” Sesshoumaru drawled before shifting to face his visitor. “So, you finally decided to answer my summons.” He narrowed his eyes and studied the woman below him.
“My lord,” Kagura said softly. “Even someone such as yourself can't expect a woman to come to your chamber without preparation.”
For a moment, she thought she detected the hint of a smile on Sesshoumaru's face. His visage remained unemotional as he sat back on the throne. “You were dressed when the guards arrived.”
“Preparations aren't limited to dressing, my lord.” Kagura tilted her head and brushed a hand against her silken hair. “One does not appear before their pharaoh without the right attitude.”
Sesshoumaru waved one hand towards Jaken. “You may leave.”
“What?” The little youkai said in surprise. “You're dismissing me…again?”
“Go, Jaken,” the pharaoh said in a stern voice. “I wish to talk to Kagura alone.”
Jaken bowed and shuffled towards a small door along one wall of the large room. He paused long enough to give Kagura an angry stare.
“Do not try my patience,” Sesshoumaru said with narrowed eyes as Jaken started nervously and retreated through the dark passage.
Kagura turned to face the pharaoh. “So, my lord, what is it you wanted to see me about?”
“I spoke with you yesterday about Inuyasha.”
The wind user nodded silently and studied the chiseled face before her. She could see no sign of emotion in his features, but she could sense an underlying tension in the youkai. What was it about Inuyasha that could set someone like Sesshoumaru off? Her curiosity was piqued and she found herself fishing for more information.
“Surely a half-breed like Inuyasha could have no effect on one such as yourself.”
“My reasons are not of your concern,” the pharaoh said in a monotone voice.
Kagura nodded slightly, holding back a smile. She had found the silver-haired youkai's weakness, although she had no idea just how to make it work to her advantage. Yet. She would be sure to watch for her opportunity.
“My lord,” the wind user said as she cocked her head to one side and looked up at him.
“I have a job for you.”
“Job? What is it that a mere wind user can do for one like you?”
“Do not mock me,” Sesshoumaru said with narrowed eyes. “You will do as you are instructed, without any questions.”
“Of course, my lord,” Kagura said as she lowered her eyes. Damn it. So, this pharaoh was planning on using her for his own concerns, too. She would see about that, she thought with a smirk.
“I wish you to find Inuyasha and report back to me.”
“My lord?”
“I wish to know his exact whereabouts, and what he is doing,” the pharaoh explained. “You are not to let him know he is being studied.”
That was all? What a waste of her abilities, Kagura thought as she found herself nodding in agreement.
“And, when I have done that?”
“You will report back to me.” Sesshoumaru shifted in the throne, indicating by his relaxed position on the throne that the audience was over.
The wind user gave him a puzzled look. “Surely you wish me to do more?”
The pharaoh remained silent as he motioned towards the heavy chamber doors.
She was dismissed? Kagura turned and walked quickly from the room, her anger obvious to the lounging guards who watched her retreat down the long corridor to her own room.
If Sesshoumaru thought he could just order her around and dismiss her like a common servant, he had another thing coming. Kagura slid the locking bar into place on her door and walked to the balcony. She shot an angry glance in the direction of the pharaoh's chambers before pulling a feather from her hair and waving her hand. The wilted lotus flower fell to the polished stone of the balcony floor as she flew skyward.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
The temple was quickly overrun with worshippers as word spread through the land about the destruction of the false pharaoh, and the part that Inuyasha and the others played in it. The deity and his priestess found themselves without the privacy they had for the first few days after their return. Their days became filled with the duties of the temple, keeping them away from the town. The visiting priests continued to help, finally moving into the temple in order to best serve Inuyasha. They took up temporary residence in Miroku's new chamber, sharing the space with the ever-growing pile of offerings.
Inuyasha growled as the last worshipper left. “I've had enough of this,” he said as he pushed the temple door closed and bolted it for the night. He turned to the exhausted priests and priestess. “How much longer are we going to have to deal with this?”
“My lord,” the head priest said calmly. “Your followers only wish to pay homage to you. You should be honored by their loyalty.”
Kagome moved to her husband's side and placed her hand lightly on his arm. “This won't go on forever,” she said softly as she gave his arm a gentle squeeze.
“It's already been forever,” Inuyasha grunted as he glanced at the priestess. He could see how exhausted she was and he turned and lifted her into his arms. “You are going to bed,” he said as he carried her to their bedroom.
“Inuyasha,” the priestess protested as she was lightly dropped onto the soft mattress. “I can walk by myself!”
“You stay here,” he commanded as he turned and left the room. “I'll bring your food to you.”
Houjou had two plates out and was filling them with warm stew from a covered clay pot. “Your dinner, my lord”, he said as he held the steaming plates out to Inuyasha.
“Ummm,” Inuyasha stammered. “Thanks,” he said softly as he took the food for himself and Kagome. He was going to be happy when the young priest was gone. The man's obvious feelings for the temple's priestess made Inuyasha nervous.
The deity pushed through the mat covering his chamber door and handed Kagome one plate. “Here,” he said as he sat next to her on edge of the bed. “Eat.”
Kagome took the plate and moved to sit next to him. “Thank you,” she said with a tired smile. Her eyes were bright in the flickering light of the oil lamps that burned on each side of their bed.
The two ate in silence for a moment before the priestess stood and placed her plate on the low table next to the soft bed.
“What are you doing?”
“I'm going to get us some water,” she said as she disappeared through the door to the main chamber. “I don't know about you, but I'm thirsty.”
Inuyasha grunted and took another bite of his food. He waited impatiently for Kagome to return with a jug of water and two cups. He took one cup and watched as the priestess poured the cool liquid into it.
The two continued to eat in silence. Inuyasha smiled when Kagome leaned against him, her half-eaten plate of food nearly spilling on the floor. He took the plate and placed it with his on the low table before sweeping her up and depositing her further onto the bed. The priestess complained weakly that she wasn't tired as she snuggled into the softness of the mattress.
“I love this bed,” she murmured. She had grown up with the hard wooden cots that were typical of the land, never dreaming that anyone could sleep on such softness.
“It was a gift from a visiting prince or something,” Inuyasha explained as he moved to lay next to her. He grinned as Kagome slid her arms around him and nestled her head against his shoulder. He pulled her against him and tipped his head to place a gentle kiss on her soft lips, groaning silently to himself that he would have to wait again for any private moments with his woman.
“Good night.”
“I'm sorry,” Kagome said softly. “I know you're disappointed…”
“Feh!” Inuyasha gave her another kiss. “Like you said, it won't be forever.”
“Still…”
“Go to sleep,” the deity commanded.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Kagura returned daily to Sesshoumaru's chamber, each time having nothing new to report. Inuyasha and Kagome remained at the temple for the most part, with no sign of the stream of worshippers abating. Each time the pharaoh listened silently and dismissed the wind user.
This is stupid, she mumbled to herself as she returned to her own chamber. Every day was the same, with the guards arriving just after sunup to issue Sesshoumaru's request for her presence. Every day she returned to her room without making any headway with the mysterious youkai. He remained unmoved by her attempts to get his attention and the wind user was beginning to feel frustrated.
She started when she caught the scent of a human in her room. There, half-hidden by the flowing lengths of gauze that served as curtains to the balcony was a young girl. She was human, and by her tattered clothing and lack of grooming, appeared to be a slave. She held a single lotus flower in her hands, and extended it towards Kagura when she realized she had been spotted. The child smiled at the wind user, but remained silent.
“What are you doing in here?” Kagura demanded. The girl didn't appear to be afraid of her, although she did lower her eyes, directing her gaze at the fragrant flower in her hands.
The child moved towards Kagura, holding the flower out to the wind user. Kagura studied her for a moment before taking the flower. “In the future, you will not come into my room uninvited,” the wind user said sternly as she walked to her door and opened it. The girl nodded silently and walked to the door, her bare feet making soft slapping noises on the smooth, stone floor. She continued to smile as Kagura closed the heavy door behind her.
Kagura studied the flower in her hands for a moment before setting in on her bed. She moved to the balcony and sighed as she took a feather from her hair. Perhaps today she would have something to report back to Sesshoumaru.
 
More days passed, with nothing new to report. Kagura was quickly growing bored of her trivial duty, and had actually entertained the thought of simply not checking up on Inuyasha, and simply telling Sesshoumaru there was no news. Of course, the pharaoh would most likely know she was lying, so she took off again, expecting nothing new. This day, however, she noticed a commotion outside the temple of Osiris, which was just down the street from the palace. A number of carts were lined up in front of the orate building, and the area was filled with humans filling the carts with various items. She could see furniture and bolts of cloth, along with sealed jars of beer and wine. One cart remained empty until a small procession came out of the temple. A number of hefty soldiers carried between themselves a sarcophagus, the design of which was a young woman. The coffin was loaded onto the empty cart and secured before the soldiers took positions around the wheeled vehicle.
Kikyou. Kagura had seen the reanimated priestess first-hand, and had heard the rumors about her history. So, the priestess's mummy was being reinterred in her tomb by Inuyasha's temple. The wind user glanced back at the palace, unsure if Sesshoumaru would find this piece of information important. She smiled to herself. Whether or not the pharaoh was interested in the news, it would give the wind user a chance to see him again. Her daily audiences with the mysterious youkai were not enough for her taste, and she quickly turned her feather and flew back in the direction of the palace.
 
Sesshoumaru looked up as Kagura entered the dark audience chamber. The woman walked slowly to the foot of the stairs leading to the pharaoh's perch, pausing and bowing her head slightly before turning her face to look at him.
“My lord,” she drawled.
“You can not have had enough time to make it to Inuyasha's temple and return,” he said in a low voice.
“Of course, not, my lord,” Kagura continued in a subdued voice. “I only thought you might find what I saw of interest.”
“And, what exactly is it that you saw?”
“The dead priestess from Inuyasha's temple is being transported there, and the caravan that includes her sarcophagus is being readied even as we speak.”
“Yes, I have heard about this dead priestess.” Sesshoumaru shifted slightly on the throne, resting one elbow on an arm of the elaborate chair and leaning his head against it. “It will take a number of days for such a caravan to travel to the temple.”
“Of course, my lord,” the wind user agreed. “The temple's priest and others will be traveling with it. From what I could see, there are quite a few carts being filled with offerings for Inuyasha.”
The pharaoh narrowed his eyes, and Kagura was sure she heard a sound of disgust deep in his throat. Whatever he held against the deity was enough to make him angry, and this coming from an unemotional youkai was a surprise.
“You will continue to report Inuyasha's movements and whereabouts to this Sesshoumaru,” he instructed as he waved one hand vaguely in the direction of the chamber's main doors.
Dismissed again, Kagura thought to herself. She would have to show this new pharaoh that she was not someone he could treat in such a manner. Somehow she would have to prove herself to him, and find a way to gain his trust. A glance back at the motionless figure on the throne reminded her that it would be a difficult task, but she took it as a personal challenge as she left the palace and made her way to hover over Inuyasha's temple.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Worshippers continued to arrive at the temple, but as the days progressed it was obvious that there was a change in the pattern. Word was spreading, and visitors were arriving from farther away. The newest worshippers were not dressed in the same clothing as the earlier ones, who had mostly been common people from small villages. The temple began to receive guests of some power and means, judging by their dress and the value of their offerings. Simple pottery and trinkets gave way to bolts of the finest cloth and exquisite statues and jewelry made of gold. Inuyasha became increasingly agitated as the days progressed.
“Inuyasha,” Kagome whispered to the deity as a high-ranking dignitary and his entourage walked through the doors of the temple. “Remember, they are here to honor you. Try to be nice.”
“Feh!” the hanyou grunted as the small group approached him. The priests had set up several intricately carved chairs for Inuyasha and Kagome to sit in for their audiences, but the deity preferred to stand, fidgeting as he faced the strangers.
“My lord,” the leader of the party said as he bowed to Inuyasha. “I fear our offerings are more meager than we intended. We were waylaid by thieves as we made our way to your temple, and they have taken most of the items that were of real value.”
Kagome gasped. “Hopefully everyone in your group is all right?”
“Luckily we came out unscathed, but we'll have to send replacements for the offerings we were bringing.”
“You needn't worry about the offerings,” the young priestess said in a concerned voice. “It just worries me that thieves would attack someone in that way.”
“The thieves have become much more active lately, I'm afraid,” the man explained. “We come from the southern reaches of the land, and there seems to be some unrest among the southern tribes. I'm afraid all I have are rumors, but the story is that there is a mysterious force active in the south, and that there are many fleeing the area.”
“Mysterious force?” The words caught Inuyasha's attention. He remembered the stories of the soldiers who had visited the temple a while before.
“As I said, I have only heard some rumors, and have no details,” the man continued. “But, the things we have seen do seem to back those rumors.”
A second man from the small group of travelers stepped forward. “I have seen a group of hunters from the southern tribes. They have become bold and aren't afraid of anything, it seems.”
“The southern tribes,” Kagome whispered. She had grown up with the horror stories about the uncivilized people who lived to the far south. Even the bravest soldiers balked when their duties sent them near the southern reaches of the land.
“Feh,” Inuyasha grunted again. “They would never dare to come here,” he said as he looked at Kagome. “If they did, they would have to deal with me.”
“Of course, my lord,” the leader of the travelers said with a bow. “Unfortunately, though, the areas to the south don't have one such as yourself to protect them. Many people are fleeing to the northern towns and cities.”
“There's got to be something we can do,” Kagome said as she returned Inuyasha's gaze.
“Forget it,” the deity said. “We have our hands full with the duties here.” He turned away from Kagome's concerned look.
“Of course, my lord,” the man added. “We did not come to ask for your help, but to thank you for what you have already done for us. The destruction of Naraku means more than you will ever know. Our own people have suffered greatly at his hands, and now that he is gone, we can focus our attentions on the threat from the south.”
“Suffered?” Kagome asked in surprise.
“Yes, my lady. Naraku's men came through our area frequently, and never hesitated to take what they wanted.”
“What would Naraku send men there for?” Inuyasha frowned as he sat on the chair prepared for him.
“Again, we have not much more than rumors, but the soldiers that did say anything spoke of having instructions to find a powerful jewel in the southern lands.” The man shrugged. “Of course, the idea of a magical jewel is preposterous.”
Inuyasha grunted and crossed his arms, leaning back in the make-shift throne with a troubled expression on his face.
The visiting priests spoke to the visitors for several minutes before ushering them into the sunlight outside the temple. The two men surveyed the flat expanse of sand leading to the neighboring town, noting that there was no sign of any other visitors. They returned to the main chamber of the temple.
“My lord,” the head priest said hesitantly. He could tell that Inuyasha was agitated and didn't want to add to the problem. “It appears that you have no more worshippers today. Your dinner should arrive in just a short while, so you have time to relax.”
“Thank you,” Kagome answered for the deity. She reached her hand to his and wove her fingers between his. “It's been a long day, Inuyasha. You should rest.”
Inuyasha grunted impatiently. Normally he wouldn't let such rumors bother him, but there was something about the man's expression as he talked that worried him. The visitors had come from a powerful clan in the southern reaches of the land, based on the clothing they wore. The one thing he knew about that clan was that they had some of the best fighters and weapons anywhere. If they were being besieged by the southern tribes, it was certain that others would fall easily to the intruders.
Kagome smiled at the priests. “Inuyasha will be resting in his room until our food arrives.” She tugged gently on the deity's arm and led him into their private chambers.
The silver-haired hanyou began to pace the floor, shaking his head when Kagome tried to get him to sit next to her on the bed.
“This isn't good,” he mumbled and he turned around and padded in the other direction. He continued pacing the length of their chamber, only pausing when Houjou spoke from outside their room. Their dinners had arrived.
“I'll get our food,” Kagome said in a concerned voice. She had never seen Inuyasha this worried about anything, and his concerns were beginning to frighten her. She pushed through the door into the main chamber, returning a few moments later with plates of steaming stew and fresh-baked bread.
Inuyasha picked at his food, scarcely tasting the tender meat and vegetables. After a few minutes he placed his uneaten food on the low table and resumed his pacing.
“My lord,” Kagome said as she put her own food down. “Is the news really that bad?”
The deity looked at the priestess in surprise. He hadn't noticed her worried look until that moment and he simply shrugged. “I don't know anything - it's just a feeling.” He moved to the bed and pulled her to her feet, wrapping his arms around her and burying his face in her soft hair. “Nothing for you to worry your pretty head about.”
“Don't pretend it's not bothering you,” Kagome said as she slid her arms around him. “I've never seen you act like this.”
“I told you, it's just a feeling. There's really nothing to base it on, so you don't have to worry.”
The priestess sighed and looked up into his golden eyes. “Is that a promise?”
“I promise there's nothing to worry about,” he mumbled. At least not yet, he continued silently in his head. “I also promise that I won't ever let anyone hurt you.”
Kagome pushed herself up on tip-toes and kissed him lightly. “I'm holding you to that promise, you know.”
Inuyasha snorted and glanced around the room. “It's too hot in here,” he said, changing the subject. His eyes traveled to the wooden rafters for a moment before turning to study the young woman in his arms. “Too hot.”
The hanyou lifted Kagome in his arms and leapt effortlessly to a perch on one of the rafters above them.
“Inuyasha,” she squealed in surprise. She wrapped her arms tightly around him as she looked at the hard floor below them.
“I have you,” he laughed as he took one arm from around her and reached to the dark ceiling.
Kagome could hear the sound of stone against stone and was surprised to feel a slight draft as Inuyasha moved a section of the roof to the side. He dropped his arm, bringing it securely around her before leaping through the opening.
They were on the roof of the temple. The deity gently lowered his priestess to her feet and waved an arm towards the local town. From where they stood the buildings looked like bricks. Kagome could see the light of fires and trails of smoke traveling skyward from cooking fires. The sky was dark, since the moon wouldn't be rising for a while. The stars were bright and easy to see.
“I've never seen the stars look like that,” she gasped as she studied the sky.
“You get more light and smoke in the city,” Inuyasha explained. “If you think they're bright here, you should see them from the middle of the desert, away from everything.
Kagome took a deep breath and closed her eyes as a soft breeze blew over them. “It's so much cooler up here.”
“I used to sleep up here most of the time,” Inuyasha explained as he lowered himself to a cross-legged position on the roof. “Here, sit with me.”
The priestess didn't protest as he pulled her onto his lap. “Didn't you worry about falling off the roof?”
The deity laughed. “I don't sleep that much, and even when I do, I'm a light sleeper. I don't fall off roofs.”
Kagome laughed. “Well, I know I probably would.” She turned her head to study the edge of the roof in the darkness. “There isn't even a ledge.”
“The builders had plans to add another room here,” Inuyasha explained. “It would have been mostly open - not closed in like the room downstairs.”
“Why didn't they build it?”
“I guess they figured I didn't need it when I got sealed.”
Kagome shook her head. “I didn't mean to make you remember that.”
“I should have them build it now. It would be more comfortable to sleep up here.”
The priestess nodded silently. The fresh air and the long day were combining to make her drowsy. She found herself stifling a yawn.
Damn it, Inuyasha thought to himself. He wasn't sure how much more of the daily audiences he was going to be able to take. It was hard enough to have time alone with Kagome when Miroku was at the temple, but for some reason the hanyou didn't feel comfortable being with his woman with that Houjou character around. He would be happy when things got back to normal.
He kissed Kagome. “Soon,” he mumbled as he felt her relaxing in his arms. She was asleep before he could kiss her again.
 
 
“My lord?” Houjou's anxious voice sounded from inside the temple.
Inuyasha stirred and looked at Kagome. The priestess squirmed and stretched against him. “Inuyasha?”
“It's morning,” the deity said as he shielded his eyes from the early morning sun, which cast a reddish gold light across them.
“I'm sorry,” she murmured. “I didn't plan on falling asleep so soon last night.”
“Don't worry about it,” Inuyasha said, trying to hide his disappointment. If things didn't get back to normal soon, he was going to go crazy.
The deity grabbed his priestess and jumped through the opening in the roof, landing lightly on the floor of their chamber. He watched as she gathered up clean clothing for them and walked to the door.
“Are you coming?” Kagome asked as she paused at the door.
Inuyasha followed her wordlessly, talking only to remind the visiting priests to stay away from the river while they bathed.
The two returned to the temple just as their breakfast arrived. Kagome tugged on Inuyasha's arm when she saw the platter of fruit. There were plums, apples, and cut wedges of fresh melons, in addition to the usual figs and dates she had grown used to.
“The fruit is part of the offering from some visitors from the city of the pharaoh,” the head priest explained. “They will be arriving at the temple in a short while, my lord,” he said as he bowed to the deity.
“You're joining us, aren't you?” Kagome asked as she filled her plate with fruit and cheese. “There's more than we can eat by ourselves, and the fruit won't last long once the temperature rises.”
“Of course, if you insist,” Houjou said with a grin as he helped himself to an apple.
The small group ate in relative silence, with Kagome breaking the stillness with an occasional exclamation about a particularly tasty piece of fruit. It didn't take them long to finish most of the food, and the young priestess quickly gathered the dirty plates and washed them. She was just putting the last plate away when Inuyasha grunted and motioned towards the door.
Their visitors had arrived, and Inuyasha and Kagome took their places on their thrones. The priests ushered the worshippers into the temple, presenting them to the deity and his priestess before moving to stand quietly to the side.
“We're honored to meet with you personally,” the man who obviously was head of the small group said with a low bow. “Our offerings aren't spectacular, but we hope you will like them.”
Kagome studied the man for a moment. “I know you,” she said with a smile. “You own the inn near the pharaoh's palace.”
The man nodded. “Yes, my lady.” He turned and bowed to the priestess. “I'm surprised you recognize one such as me.”
“I grew up in the city,” she explained. “I've always loved the food at your inn.”
The man smiled and inclined his head. “I'm honored that you know of my meager establishment. We have always prided ourselves in having the best cooks in the land.”
Inuyasha seemed to be enjoying the casual exchange between Kagome and the visitors. The priestess was happy, meeting someone she knew from her home, and after the stresses of countless audiences with strangers, she appeared to be relaxing.
“We'll have to eat there the next time we return to your home,” Inuyasha said softly in the priestess's ear.
“Of course, my lord,” the man said with another deep bow. “You are always welcome at the inn, and it would be an honor to serve you.”
The others in the small gathering each came forward, holding out their offerings and expressing their excitement at meeting the living deity. When the others were done, the first man stepped forward again.
“I was asked to bring you a message, my lord.”
“Message?” Inuyasha looked puzzled.
“Of course, my lord. We came directly from the city of the pharaoh, where your temple's priest has remained for the past several weeks. He has asked me to tell you that he and the rest of his party are on their way, even as we speak.”
Kagome smiled and squeezed Inuyasha's arm. “That's good news.”
“Naturally, it will take them longer to make the trip than it took us, since they are traveling with a large number of carts.”
“Kikyou,” Inuyasha mumbled.
“Yes, my lord,” the man said in acknowledgement. “The sarcophagus containing the remains of the dead priestess are on a special cart. A number of guards are accompanying them, so there should be no problems during their journey.”
“How long do you think it will take them to get here?” Kagome asked.
“I can't say for sure, but from past experience I'd guess that it shouldn't be more than a handful of days. They will be traveling very slowly with their cargo,” their visitor offered.
Inuyasha gave Houjou a sidelong glance and smirked. So, they would finally be rid of the young priest who couldn't keep his eyes off the temple priestess. It was good news, indeed.
“Of course, we will remain until your temple's regular priest returns,” the head priest said with a nod.
The deity nodded and watched as their guests made their final farewells and made their way back to the nearby town.
A handful of days, Inuyasha thought. It was about time. Funny, but he found himself missing Miroku's lighthearted attitude. The priest was in for a surprise when he found his new quarters taken up by the newest offerings. The travelers were also bringing more offerings from Inuyasha's audiences at the temple of Osiris.
“We need to tell the townspeople to come and get what they want of the offerings when Miroku and the others return,” the deity suggested.
“Of course, my lord.” Kagome could see that the prospect of helping the people of the town made Inuyasha happy.
“We'd be happy to help sort and organize things for you,” Houjou offered.
The priestess nodded. “That sounds like a good idea. It might be wise to let people start taking some things now so we have room for the new things, too.”
“We'll make the arrangements,” the head priest offered.
“At least they won't be strangers,” Kagome said softly to Inuyasha.
“Feh!” he grunted. “We still won't have any time to ourselves.”
“We'll have more time soon.” The young priestess gave her husband a gentle kiss on his lips. “Soon, my lord,” she promised as she stood and led the two priests into Miroku's room so they could begin going through the offerings.
 
 
The temple was filled with people over the next few days. Visiting worshippers arrived early in the day, and townspeople came in the afternoon, creating a steady stream of people. Inuyasha grew increasingly agitated with each day.
“Miroku and the others will be here soon,” Kagome reminded him as Houjou led several worshippers into the temple one morning. “And, the worshippers won't be coming forever.”
“There are already more people here than we need,” the deity grunted as he turned to face the latest visitors.
Inuyasha stood up as the last visitor left the temple and walked out into the bright sunlight outside. He had been confined to the dark temple interior far too much for his taste over the previous weeks. The heat of the desert was a refreshing respite to the dank air inside the stone building. At least the air was fresh, and he could move around.
A movement in the distance caught his attention. The hanyou turned and studied the trail of dust being raised by whatever approached. He paused and sniffed the air before turning and sprinting back into the temple.
“They're coming,” he said excitedly as he grabbed Kagome by the arm and led her into the midday heat.
The priestess squinted against the glare of the sun, but couldn't see anything. “Are you sure?”
“It's them,” Inuyasha said with a smile. “And, about time, too, I'd say.”
He pulled the priestess into his arms and kissed her. “Maybe now things will get back to normal.”
 
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
Author's note. I'm still in shock over the fact that my story was selected by Mediaminer as a featured fanfic. It's a real honor to have my work receive such recognition. The story has also won several awards at the Inuyasha fanguild (groups.yahoo.com/group/iyfanguild). Of course, I could never write this story without Rumiko Takahashi's wonderful story and characters. I also owe a debt of gratitude to Kristine Batey, aka Bachan, who was forever supportive of me and my writing. Kristine was my beta reader until health issues made it impossible for her to continue. Kristine lost a two-year struggle with breast cancer earlier this year, and it is to her memory that I dedicate this chapter.