InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ Cracking the Shell ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome sighed softly as she rested in the meager shade of the leafless tree. She knew where she was, but that didn't help her. It had been almost a month and she was still here. She didn't expect Inuyasha to actually be able to find her. Every night she prayed that he would somehow know she was safe and happy and be content with his own life. Her eyes swept the desert that did not look anything like a desert. It was getting late. Another hour and the hottest time of day would be upon her. She needed to reach shelter before then.

She pushed off of the tree and began to walk. She hummed softly. The people she now lived with loved to hear her hum and sing. Her songs were nothing like theirs. They thought her a goddess or the bride of a god, fallen from the sky. They had no one among them with miko-like powers, and so the first time she had healed one of them it had seemed as though the gods themselves had descended to bless them. She entered the tiny village.

The word did not fit at all. These people were nomads, wandering the Kalahari in search of food, water, and game. They lived in small family units and one of them had adopted her. She in turn had adopted them. Greetings were shouted at her and she returned them in the few words of their language she had picked up. Then her children were presented to her. She did not know what their original names were, but she had named the twin girls Yuka and Eri after her friends in her own time.

A place in the shade was made for her and she sat down. Eri whimpered softly and with a soft sigh Kagome slid her breast out of the remains of her shirt and gave it to the baby. It had not been hard to make her body give up milk to the orphans. At first she had thought she would need to use the Shikon no tama, but even her own miko abilities had proved unnecessary. Her body had a will of its own and had simply decided to feed the two mouths who so eagerly entreated it.

The day passed as it often did and soon night descended upon them. Kagome found a comfortable spot and began to give the twins dinner. She closed her eyes and leaned her back against a log, trying to soak in some of the heat of the fire during the frigid desert night. A shadow fell across her. She sighed softly. It was probably some elder or mother, telling her to begin to wean the babes. She had had that conversation several times and could almost do it without thinking. She opened her eyes and faced the stranger. A gasp made its way past her lips then she smiled.

"Sesshomaru-sama, please have a seat. It has been a long time since I could converse with someone in my native language."

Sesshomaru sat, watching her intently as she fed the child. "I have been looking for you for a long time. You will return with me. Inuyasha is most…upset."

"I think upset is putting it mildly. You and I both know what he is like." She burped Eri then picked up Yuka, giving her the other breast to rest her chapped nipple. "I cannot leave right away, my healing powers are needed, at least for a little while longer. Did the others see you?"

"No one sees me when I do not want to be seen. Your new friends did not see me. It was not easy to find you."

"No I can't imagine it was. Do you wish to tell me how you managed? I am rather curious."

Kagome finished feeding the children and put them to bed. The pregnant woman was sapping her strength even in her sleep. The birth was going to be hard on both the mother and the child. She rubbed her eyes and winced at the pain of her scorched skin. She stiffened suddenly as she felt someone behind her. Clawed hands slid over her shoulders.

"You are hurting yourself by staying here."

"I have to stay until the birth. I can't leave."

"You stay to help another? What of your own children? What of the kitsune pup?"

"Shippou has Miroku and Sango until I get back. I will return to him."

She turned to look at him and froze as his eyes slipped over her. There was something possessive and animalistic in his gaze. His eyes slid to the curves of her breasts and Kagome had a sudden insight. She turned her body and pulled him closer. To her surprise he did not resist. She pulled her breast out and gently drew his mouth to her nipple. He drank, his arms wrapping around her, pulling her closer. Her fingers tangled in his hair. She was trembling at the feel of his lips upon her, but he too was shaking. After a moment he pulled back. His eyes locked on hers.

"Why?"

"Because I love you."

"But how?"

Her smile was gentle and soft. "I love you, Sesshomaru. Love does not need a reason or a why. Love simply is."

He pulled her shirt back over her breast. "I do not understand."

She reached up and touched his face. "You will someday."

He slipped away from her. She could see the incomprehension in his eyes. He would understand someday. She knew that. He vanished into the night and she lay down next to her daughters. Sleep came more quickly than it usually did for her in the desert air. When she awoke there were loud exclamations coming from the others. Kagome emerged to find a large antelope laying dead by one of the fires. She frowned. Antelope this size did not belong to this region of Africa. The others were exclaiming over it. Slowly she backed away. The family head came over.

"Wise One, what is this?"

She took a deep breath, fighting for calm and trying to find the words. "Food. I will prepare it for you."

"No, Wise One. We will prepare it."

She nodded mutely and stepped back, her mind working at light speed. Sesshomaru was the only one who could have done this, but why? The meal was prepared and they ate. The rest of the day passed as every other before. She healed minor cuts and scrapes almost without thought. Her powers were expanding, but she still couldn't stop the sun burn she got daily from sapping her strength. The sun set and she checked on the expecting mother. Both mother and child were still well, but the position of the baby told her that the birth would be extremely difficult.

Kagome fed the twins and put them down for the night. She stood and stretched, her back screaming in pain. She was tired and sore. Warm hands slid over her back, the pain of the sun burn and the ache from the day seemed to melt. She trembled as his hands massaged away her soreness. She moaned softly.

"Sesshomaru…"

"Who?"

She jerked around and out of San's hands. The man frowned at her. "Go away."

"You seem to enjoy my company. Who is Sesshomaru?"

"I said go."

He backed away slowly. She could see confusion and disappointment on his face. She turned back and sat down, trying to calm down. She closed her eyes.

"You would mistake me for that ningen?"

"I…I'm tired, why are you still here?"

"You question this Sesshomaru?"

"No, just…why are you still here?"

"You are my responsibility."

"Your concern is touching."

She could almost feel the growl he was fighting to bite off. She fought a smile and failed. It was so easy to push his buttons, and so much more fun than Inuyasha. At last she looked over her shoulder at him. He was pointedly looking away from her. She sighed and stood.

"Look at me." He snorted and she walked around so that he was in front of her. "Look at me."

"Why would I do that?"

She reached up and touched his face, pulling his chin down until he was looking her in the eye. "Last night."

"Did not happen."

"And it will not happen again until you admit that you love Rin."

He stepped back out of her reach. She watched as he vanished into the night. She had to go slow. She would start with the one who had already won his heart. Somewhere deep inside she knew he had to learn love. Otherwise his life would be very lonely. He was immortal, and eternity alone was a tragedy she would not allow.