InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Celebrations, Surprises and Evil Plans ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
Celebrations, Surprises and Evil Plans
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
InuYasha sat on the roof of the Higurashi home, scanning the street in the direction Kagome would normally be coming from on her way home from school. “Where is she?” Suddenly he craned forward. “There she is!” Rin was on one side of her, Midori on the other. The trio had their arms locked around each other's shoulders and they were laughing, carrying on and high-stepping their way to the shrine.
 
The hanyou jumped down from the roof and onto the shrine grounds where Miroku and Sango were landscaping their hut. “Kagome will be here in a few minutes.”
 
“Thank you, InuYasha,” responded Sango as she tamped the dirt in place around another flower.
 
“She's pregnant.”
 
Sango's head snapped up. “What?”
 
“Something wrong with your hearing? I said, she's pregnant.”
 
“Already?” Sango smiled and went to work on the next flower.
 
InuYasha snorted. Obviously the taijiya had known about Kagome's intentions.
 
Miroku looked nonplussed. “How do you know? Can you smell it from here, InuYasha?”
 
“Feh.” InuYasha could hear that the girls had almost reached the shrine steps. “I saw Kagome, Rin and Midori coming back to the shrine. The way they were acting, Kagome has to be pregnant.”
 
“I…see.” Miroku looked confused again. “But how does she know?”
 
InuYasha didn't really feel like explaining the intimate details of how things worked between him and his mate, and of how Kagome had learned to use her barrier to either prevent or ensure pregnancy. The truth was, he barely understood it.
 
“Uhh…because, you see, when a man and a woman…do it…and the man leaves his…stuff…inside the woman, the…stuff…dies off in a couple of days. But when Kagome and I…do it…and I leave my…
 
InuYasha was bright red.
 
“…stuff inside Kagome, it lives on…at least till the next new moon.”
 
Miroku blinked a couple of times, but kept a placid expression. “Go on, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha growled. He could swear Miroku was enjoying this. “So Kagome uses an internal barrier to either keep my stuff away, or to trap it inside her and…damnit!” InuYasha had noticed the taijiya's back was shaking with laughter.
 
“Don't worry about it, InuYasha. Kagome has told me a lot of this. I'll explain it to him later.”
 
“No need,” said Miroku. “I quite understand. I just wouldn't have missed InuYasha's explanation for anything.”
 
Fortunately for the monk, it was precisely at this time that the back door of the Higurashi household opened and the three girls emerged. “We're back!” announced Kagome.
 
“We stopped at WacDonald's on the way home,” said Rin.
 
“That's one of the few problems with looking like this,” said Kagome. “I wanted to celebrate with a glass of wine, but do you have any idea how hard it is to get served wearing a sÄ“rÄ-fuku?”
 
Midori sidled up to InuYasha. “Daddy? Mommy says I'm going to have a new brother or sister. May I have a pony, instead?”
 
“Feh.”
 
Just as InuYasha was doing his level best to look petulant, Kagome marched right up to him, grabbed his head and pulled him down into a big kiss. When she released him, she held her head down, but looked up into his eyes and pouted. “Now you've done it - sniff - I'm a schoolgirl in t-trouble.”
 
“FEH!”
 
All three girls laughed hysterically. Even Sango joined in. And despite the hanyou's warning growls, Miroku laughed too.
 
Finally, InuYasha gave up his big act and broke up in laughter, swinging his mate through the air in joy.
 
 
******************
 
 
Mr. Sato looked up at his office door as he hung up the phone. There was a quiet knock and he smiled. “Enter.”
 
The door opened and the seedy looking man let himself in. “You wanted to see me, Mr. Sato? Did you have a profitable meeting with Mr. Sesshoumaru?”
 
Katashi watched the man rub his hands together as though he expected piles of money to be thrust in his direction.
 
“Don't worry. You'll get what you deserve. But first…” Mr. Sato indicated a figure sitting in semi-darkness. “…I wish you to meet my new partner in this little venture. His name is Kano.”
 
“Hello, Mr. Kano.”
 
“Just…Kano,” said the seated figure.
 
The seedy looking man fidgeted. “Of course. Kano.”
 
Mr. Sato smirked. “Kano is an expert at dealing with people who are, shall we say, difficult. He is an expert at disposing of…problems.”
 
The seedy looking man glanced at Kano, who returned a most disquietingly toothy grin. “B-But why did you want me to meet him?”
 
Katashi steepled his fingers. “Let's just say I've decided you belong on the inside of this operation. Kano wishes to have you for dinner. He wants to pick your brain.”
 
“But I just bring you pictures…although someone has found all the cameras I had in Sesshoumaru's Secrets. It was quite a loss.”
 
“Yet I remember that you brought me information about this Kagome, and about one of the other girls who happened to be married to our Mr. Sesshoumaru. Valuable information. Information that has led to the position I'm in now.” Mr. Sato smiled at the seedy looking man. “I wouldn't worry about things like lost cameras, if I were you. After fulfilling your part in this operation, you won't have any more worries about petty things like cameras.”
 
Kano stood up and put an arm around the man's shoulder. “Come with me. I know a good place to eat…right by the seashore.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Mama Higurashi heard the commotion from the shrine grounds as she set her bag of groceries on the kitchen table. She quickly put the refrigerated items away and stepped out through the back door. “Is everything okay out here?”
 
“Everything's fine, Mama,” answered Kagome cheerfully.
 
“Ya might as well come out and join us, obaasan,” said InuYasha.
 
“Obaa…?” Somehow that didn't sound like InuYasha was referring to the kids Mama knew the two already had. Mama half stumbled forward. “Obaasan?”
 
“Yup,” said Kagome. She grabbed her mate's arm. “This hentai has gotten your sweet, innocent…”
 
“Innocent, my ass!”
 
“Like I was saying: he has gotten your sweet, innocent, schoolgirl daughter in trouble. Yes, I would say that nine months from now you will be a full-fledged obaasan.” Kagome's expression turned quite cross. “So I expect you to make this reprobate marry me.” The miko's tone turned conspiratorial. “In fact, if I were you, I'd start planning a double wedding with Sango and Miroku. Grandpa can perform the ceremony and…”
 
Kagome paused. Usually, Grandpa would have been nosing into everybody's business by now. “Where is Grandpa, anyway?”
 
Mama couldn't stop smiling. “He said this morning that he was leaving on a date this afternoon.”
 
“Another one?”
 
“Ever since you took that seal off him, he's been very popular.”
 
“I guess he'll have to find out he's going to be a hii-ojiichan, later.”
 
“But how do you know, dear? Have you been to the doctor?”
 
“Umm, no.” Kagome didn't feel like explaining how she had used a barrier inside herself to ensure pregnancy. “My miko powers allow me to meditate and see what's happening inside me.”
 
“Really? Show me.”
 
Kagome sighed…but this was her mother asking. She directed her senses inward. “I'm definitely pregnant, and I can tell you that you will be the proud obaasan of…twins?”
 
“Twins?”
 
“Oi! Did someone say `twins?'”
 
“They'll be identical, then,” said Mama, smiling even more.
 
“Would someone answer me? Did Kagome say `twins?'”
 
“Yes, she did, InuYasha,” said Mama. “She said `twins.'”
 
“Boys or girls?”
 
Kagome snorted. “You ask that every time, InuYasha, and I'll tell you the same thing as I have every other time: I won't know that for a little while yet.”
 
Sango was curious. “You can tell, Kagome? When?”
 
“Yeah, I can tell…usually a couple of weeks in.”
 
“Can you tell what Miroku and I are having?”
 
Kagome asked everyone to quiet down for a minute while she sat down opposite Sango, laid her hand on the taijiya's stomach, and concentrated. After a few moments, she said, “a boy, but there's something I must tell you.”
 
Miroku hurried forward. “What is it? Is there a problem?”
 
“I don't think so…but the child has absorbed youkai characteristics.” Suspicious, Kagome probed both the monk and the taijiya. “You both have, too. It's very weak, but it's there…and they're the same as your child's.”
 
“Is the baby, is anyone, in trouble?” asked a nervous Miroku.
 
“If you're asking if you're going to sprout a horn or something, I'd say the answer is no. You have just enough in you that I can tell it's there. It's so slight, that InuYasha didn't detect it…maybe because he assumed it was Kirara. Really, I don't know what it might do.”
 
All of a sudden, Sota came bursting out through the back door. “Hey! What's everyone doing out here?”
 
“Keh. Your Mama's gonna be an obaasan.”
 
“So that's what all that noise was last night.”
 
“Oh my,” gasped Mama. “You'd better go to your room, dear.”
 
Sota began edging towards the back door. “I could have told you that was going to happen if you two kept that up.”
 
Everyone yelled in unison, “Go to your room!”
 
“Awwww.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Mr. Sato looked up at the tapping on his door. Why hadn't the girl outside called him? “Yes?”
 
“I'm back.”
 
“Enter.”
 
The door opened and the shark/man came in. The creature was picking his teeth with what looked like a small bone that had been bitten in half and gnawed to a point. “A little gamey, but okay.”
 
“You didn't eat my receptionist, did you?”
 
“The girl in the cat suit?”
 
Mr. Sato nodded “yes,” fearing the worst. It wasn't so much that he cared about the girl, but he had been planning on selling her.
 
Kano shook his head. I was talking about the man I left with. I don't know what happened to the girl. Did you want me to eat her?”
 
“N-No. At least not yet.” Mr. Sato looked at the clock and realized his receptionist must have gone home. He thought of something else. “And please don't eat the driver I assigned to you.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“Can you drive?”
 
“Good point. I won't eat the driver. But let me know if I can ever eat that girl. She looks tasty.”
 
“Umm.”
 
 
******************
 
 
InuYasha was feeling a little left out. Sure, there had been the initial celebration, and Mama Higurashi had even gotten out a bottle of wine so that everyone (except Sota) could have a glass, but now the girls were at the kitchen table pouring over bridal catalogs, and InuYasha just felt left out.
 
The hanyou went upstairs for a minute and changed. When he came downstairs, he found the monk watching TV. “Hey, Miroku.”
 
“Yes, InuYasha?”
 
“I'm bored. Would you like to go out for a drink?”
 
“If you mean a place with geishas, no. I've promised Sango that I've given that up.”
 
“Nahhh, just a tavern. There's one a couple of blocks from here, so we can walk.”
 
“Why not take that cart contraption of yours?” asked the monk.
 
“Because it's not a good idea to drive after you've been drinking. You can really hurt someone.”
 
“Ah, I see.” Miroku stood up. “Then, let's go.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Unfortunately for InuYasha, the glamour he used to disguise his appearance did not do anything to actually alter his physiology. What this meant was that while people saw two normal ears on his head, he still had his ultra-sensitive hanyou ears working normally when he and Miroku walked into the tavern…on karaoke night.
 
“Damnit!”
 
“Are you okay, InuYasha?” Miroku noticed the spell disguising his friends appearance flickering momentarily.
 
“Feh.” The hanyou reached into his pocket and got out a small case which he then opened. “Earplugs.” With as much nonchalance as he could muster, InuYasha casually inserted them. To anyone looking, it appeared that he was brushing his hair with his hand. “Follow me.”
 
InuYasha led Miroku towards a table well back from the stage and motioned for the monk to sit down, and then sat down too. “Let me order for both of us.”
 
“Whatever you say, InuYasha.”
 
About that time, a server came by and InuYasha motioned the girl over. “Two Suntory Hibiki, please.” The girl nodded and moved off.
 
“What did you order us? Sake?”
 
“No, not sake. Something I've acquired a taste for. Sip it, though. It's too powerful to drink quickly.”
 
The girl returned with their drinks, bending low as she served them. So low, that poor Miroku's eyes almost popped out of his head.
 
Miroku picked up his glass. “I believe that girl was flirting with me, InuYasha. What have you led me into?” The monk took a sip of his drink, immediately pulled the glass away from his lips, and stared at the drink as if it had bitten him.
 
“Told ya it was powerful.” InuYasha smirked. “Nahhh, she wasn't flirting with you. In this time, the servers earn extra money through something called tipping. If the service is good, you're supposed to give them a little extra money…which is called a tip. Actually, I didn't think the custom had reached Japan yet...”
 
“Is this what I'm supposed to tip, InuYasha?” The monk held up the coaster that had been under his glass. There was a phone number scrawled on it.
 
“Son of a bitch.”
 
Both InuYasha and Miroku turned to look at the waitress, who was getting someone else's drinks at the bar. She smiled, clearly at the monk, and did a sort of small bow in his direction. This served to show off her rather prominent cleavage.
 
“What do I do, InuYasha?”
 
“Why? You want to go with her?”
 
“I can't believe I'm saying this, but no.”
 
“Then, if you want to keep your head relatively free of lumps, I'd find a way to tell her you're taken.”
 
Miroku began to stand up.
 
InuYasha reached out and grabbed his arm. “Not now, baka.”
 
“It's not that, InuYasha.” The monk stood up again and pointed towards the stage. “Look.”
 
InuYasha looked towards the stage. “It couldn't be.”
 
“Isn't that Kagome's ji-chan?”
 
InuYasha stood and stared at the stage. Indeed, it was his mate's ji-chan. The women sitting at the tables immediately surrounding the stage appeared to be in their 50's and 60's, although one or two seemed younger.
 
Apparently, Kagome's grandfather had quite a following.
 
The deejay cut the pulse-pounding music he had been playing and put on some traditional music. Kagome's grandfather began singing to it - not very well…but the women seemed to be eating it up.
 
Fortunately, the song was a short one and Kagome's grandfather was sitting down again. He had each of his arms around women on either side of him. Where the women had their hands, InuYasha didn't want to know. The hanyou sat down again.
 
“So it really is Kagome's ji-chan.”
 
InuYasha looked at Miroku for a moment; then picked up his glass and downed it in one swallow. “Feh.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“We have some planning to do, Mr. Sato.”
 
Katashi took another drink. “I know.” He filled the glass again.
 
“That's probably not good for you, Mr. Sato. I've seen people on board cruise ships drink too much and fall overboard. Good for me, not really good for them.”
 
“Look,” said Mr. Sato, rendered brave by the alcohol. “You didn't have some damned, 30-foot-tall demon dog standing over you, with its damned drool melting the rocks and filling the air with toxic gases. I'll have a few if I want to.”
 
Kano snorted. If he didn't need this fool at the moment, he'd eat him now. Fortunately for Mr. Sato, he did need him. “When dealing with this pack, it is necessary to have a clear head.”
 
“Pack?”
 
“They are Inu-youkai. They have a pack mentality.”
 
“Whatever,” slurred Mr. Sato. “So, what's your bright idea?”
 
Kano actually had given the matter considerable thought. He had plenty of allies in the sea. Many of them were quite fearsome, especially in their true youkai forms. Unfortunately, every single one of them, if they knew that Kagome had the jewel, would grab power for him or herself.
 
“Sometimes, Mr. Sato, the simplest plan is the best. In this case, the simplest plan is a day at the beach.”
 
 
 
A/N: Yeah, Kagome's definitely pregnant…with twins! That's all she wrote for the seedy looking man. Kagome's ji-chan is into karaoke? And Mr. Sato and Kano are planning an attempt on Kagome. Will it succeed? Let's hope not! Mama should get her grandchildren, after all!
 
Hmmm. Wonder what Miroku's reaction to modern-day swimwear will be. Wonder what Sango's reaction to Miroku's reaction will be.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.