InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Beware of Things You Get in the Mail ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
Beware of Things You Get in the Mail
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
It had been a few days since Kagome had found out - or, rather, made sure - she was pregnant. She hadn't said anything at school, mostly because the school nurse (at least) would wonder how Kagome knew so soon…especially since a modern pregnancy test wouldn't even test positive for a few days yet.
 
So, aside from Rin and Midori, her schoolmates were left to wonder why she was giddy half the time. When Ayumi, Yuka and Eri caught up with her after school and pressed her about her mood, she had let it slip that she had received a proposal.
 
 
******************
 
 
“But you're so young!” protested Yuka.
 
“It's that hyper-jealous boyfriend of yours, isn't it?” asked Eri.
 
Ayumi was the only one who didn't go completely off the deep end. “Did you accept?”
 
Kagome answered coyly, “maybe.”
 
About that time (and by prior arrangement), Rin and Midori grabbed the miko and whisked her away from the other girls.
 
“Gotta go, guys!” Kagome called out over her shoulder to the three girls who just stood there, staring after her. “That ought to get the rumor mill started,” thought the miko. “A few more days and I'll start dropping hints that I'm pregnant.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Rin and Midori parted ways with Kagome at the bottom of the Shrine steps, getting into a car driven by Jaken who had been sent to pick them up. Kagome waved goodbye and headed up the steps.
 
She opened the front door and walked in. “I'm back!”
 
Her ji-chan emerged from the kitchen. “You got something in the mail, Kagome.”
 
She glanced at the envelope on the table. “Okay.” She set her book bag down. “Not out on a date, today, grandpa?”
 
The old man drew himself up in a huff. “I'll have you know that I'm visiting our neighboring shrine on official business. The keeper of the Hitomi shrine has asked for my help in the art of preparing sutras.”
 
Kagome blinked. “But your sutras never work.”
 
“They do now, young lady.”
 
She shrugged. “No karaoke tonight, huh?”
 
“No, that's only on…Kagome! How do you know about that?” The old man's expression changed so that he looked rather like a twelve-year-old whose “Playboy” had just been found under the mattress.
 
Kagome couldn't help giggling. “A little dog told me.” Suddenly, she stopped giggling. “Wait a sec. Isn't that shrine run by a priestess?”
 
Kagome's ji-chan looked a bit sheepish. “Why, yes. What of it?”
 
“Grandpa! She's hardly older than Mama!”
 
The old man picked the large envelope up off the table and shoved it into his granddaughter's hands. “Read your mail!” He turned and marched off to his room, grumbling the whole way.
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome smiled as she watched her grandpa go; then looked at the envelope in her hand. “You have won! she read. Won what?”
 
She opened the envelope. Inside, she found a letter saying that she, Kagome Higurashi, had won an all-expense-paid, fabulous and romantic weekend beach getaway for two. She frowned as she looked through all the inserts showing a young couple frolicking on the beach. “I don't remember entering any contests.”
 
She looked at the last page of the mailing, which had the instructions on how to redeem the prize. There on the very bottom of the page, in small print, was a notation that she had been “automatically entered” when she made a purchase using her credit card at any…
 
One of the stores listed was the sporting goods store where she had paid for Sango's boomerangs.
 
“That makes sense,” she thought…yet there was still something fishy about the whole deal. She set the mailing down on an end table in the living room. “I'll think about it later.”
 
She headed out back to see Sango.
 
 
******************
 
 
Katashi Sato looked at his half empty glass. “Why did I start drinking this much?”
 
“Do you really think it will work?”
 
Mr. Sato set down his drink and picked up a duplicate of the “contest winner” materials that had been sent to the miko. “I paid top dollar to have this made.” The alcohol making him feel brave, he waved the materials at the shark/man. “We had the record of her credit card purchase at Sesshoumaru's Secret, so I had her account hacked to find out what other purchases she had made and where.”
 
“Continue.”
 
Mr. Sato put the papers down and picked up his drink again. “It was simple enough to add a statement that she had entered the contest automatically when she used her credit card at any of several stores, including one where she most certainly did use it.” Mr. Sato smirked. “She will believe her prize is genuine.”
 
Kano waved dismissively. “Since I don't know that much about things like credit cards and contests, I will have to take your word that this scheme will work.”
 
“It will, Kano. It will.”
 
“It had better.” Kano smiled.
 
“Oh, yeah. THAT'S why.” Mr. Sato drained his glass.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Where's InuYasha?” Kagome had been expecting to find her mate outside with Miroku and Sango.
 
“Come in,” said Sango, motioning Kagome inside the hut. “InuYasha said something about `paying the bills,' whatever that means. He went back to your home and his workshop.”
 
“I see.” Kagome sat down. She noted that Sango was getting used to modern clothing, although she still dressed conservatively. Today she was wearing a sleevless blouse and a blue jeans skirt that was a little shorter than she was used to seeing her in. “Where's Miroku?”
 
“Oh. Your grandfather asked him if he would go through the sheds and storerooms and evaluate some of the shrine's heirlooms,” replied the taijiya. “So far he hasn't found much worth mentioning.”
 
“He probably won't.” Kagome mused, “although there was that katana, and the Noh mask.” She refocused on her friend. “Sango, are you happy, here?”
 
“I…I guess so. Miroku and I are getting married. I have a child on the way…”
 
“WE have children on the way.”
 
“Yeah.” Sango smiled. “That is nice.” The taijiya continued. “We have our own hut…and it looks like we can be useful.” The taijiya leaned against the wall beside her Hiraikotsu. “Miroku and I have been practicing.”
 
“For the demonstrations?”
 
“Hai. I'm actually looking forward to it.”
 
The tatami mat at the front door was moved out of the way and Miroku looked in. “Kagome. I didn't know you were in here.”
 
The miko smiled. “Just the monk I wanted to see.”
 
“Oh? How can I help?” Miroku walked in and leaned against the wall next to Sango.
 
“Have you been teaching grandfather how to make sutras?”
 
“Hmmm. Yes and no.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Remember what I said about your ji-chan's sutras?”
 
“I think so. You said they were pretty good, right?”
 
“I said they were some of the finest I had seen. They're almost as good as mine. Look,” said the monk, “there are two parts of making sutras. The first is designing them properly…knowing what to write on them. Your grandfather's are fine, that way. There were some that were a little strange, but I think he was trying different things because they weren't working.”
 
“Makes sense, I guess”
 
“Thank you.” Miroku smiled. “The second part of making sutras is infusing them with spiritual power. Now that your grandfather is no longer sealed…”
 
“…he can make working sutras.” Kagome nodded. “I get it.”
 
“Exactly.” Miroku noted that his soon-to-be wife was sitting against the wall and slid down to sit beside her. “He has actually come up with some new sutras, including one I wish I had thought of. I could have made a fortune with it!”
 
“What's that?”
 
“Your ji-chan told me that many men - especially older men - in this time lose their ability to - uhh...” The monk lowered his eyes. “My apologies for speaking so bluntly, but they…”
 
Kagome interrupted. “You mean they can't get it up.”
 
Miroku looked up, shock evident on his face.
 
“Sorry. I was just trying to spare you the embarrassment.”
 
Sango, although slightly shocked as well, was giggling. “You sure shut him up.”
 
Kagome turned back to Miroku. “You mean to tell me he came up with a sutra for that?”
 
“Indeed. He told me that his - uhh - response after you unsealed him was only temporary and probably part of his reaction to the unsealing of his spiritual powers…so he became determined to find a sutra that would make the effect more lasting.”
 
“And that little sneak told me he was going to the Hitomi Shrine to instruct the priestess there on making sutras!”
 
“I…see.” Miroku smiled knowingly. “I find myself liking your ji-chan more and more, Kagome.”
 
“Hmpf.”
 
“OOF!” Miroku looked over at Sango, who had just elbowed him in the ribs. “What did you do that for?”
 
“Nobody likes to think about their ji-chan having…well, you know!”
 
Miroku turned back to the miko. “My apologies, Lady Kagome.”
 
Kagome waved it off. “Forget it. I guess we've all been under a lot of stress, lately.” Suddenly Kagome brightened. “Speaking of getting rid of stress, how would you two feel about going to the beach for a weekend with me and InuYasha?”
 
The monk and taijiya exchanged glances. “Sure.”
 
 
******************
 
 
The phone buzzed. “Mr. Sato?”
 
“Yes? What is it?”
 
“There's a Kagome Higurashi on the other line. She said something about redeeming her prize.”
 
“Good. Make absolutely sure you identify us as `Card Promotions' and me as `Mr. Komura.'”
 
“Yes, Mr. Sato.”
 
“Grrrrrr.”
 
“Mr. Komura.”
 
“Put her through.”
 
There was a brief pause, followed by the phone buzzing again. Katashi picked up the receiver and held his nose as a means of disguising his voice. “This is Mr. Komura. I have the honor of speaking with our contest winner, Kagome Higurashi?”
 
“Hai. I received your mailing just today. This isn't part of some scheme to sell time shares, is it?”
 
“Absolutely not! You and your boyfriend, or husband…”
 
“Mate.”
 
“Mate?”
 
“Oops. Did I say that? I meant husband. Gomen.”
 
“Not a problem. You won't have to listen to any sales pitches. The prize is for using your card at one of our participating stores. The contests we run are simply ways to promote using your card while shopping at our partners' stores.”
 
“Good. I have a question, though.”
 
“Yes?”
 
“We have two friends we'd like to take with us.”
 
Instant headache. “The prize is for two.”
 
“I know…but would it be possible to buy a matching trip so that our friends could come along?”
 
Mr. Sato's eyes were beginning to glaze over. On the one hand, his scheme had actually worked. On the other hand, he really didn't need complications. Obviously, there could be only one answer to the girl's question. “Of course they can. In fact, we'll make all the arrangements for you.”
 
“Arigatou, Mr. Komura. My credit card number is…”
 
“Don't you worry about that. You are being so generous to your friends…let us take care of it. Just give me the dates you want for your vacation weekend.” Mr. Sato dutifully took down the dates and assured her that she would receive a confirmation within the hour.
 
“It is very generous of you, Mr. Komura.”
 
“You're quite welcome, Ms. Higurashi. We at Card Promotions thank you for shopping at one of our partner stores…and enjoy your trip.”
 
“Arigatou gozaimasu.”
 
Mr. Sato finished the phone call and hung up. He got out his wallet and, getting out his own credit card, picked up the phone and dialed the beach resort. “This is Mr. Komura from Card Promotions.” There was a sniffing sound from Kano's direction. “Yes. I need to make another reservation.”
 
“That isn't a sharkskin wallet, is it.”
 
“For two. Adjoining. Yes.” Katashi looked up to see that Kano's “friendly” smile had turned from creepy to predatory. He put his hand over the mouthpiece. “Im-Imitation, I believe.”
 
Kano looked dubious. “Let me see it.”
 
Mr. Sato held his hand up to ask for a moment to finish the phone transaction. He then tossed the wallet to Kano as he hung up the receiver. “This could be trouble,” he thought as he poured himself another stiff drink.
 
Kano sniffed at the wallet. While his particular youkai sense of smell was designed more for detecting blood in the water, it was sufficient this close up on land. “Mom?”
 
Katashi's eyes got very big. “Crap.” He gulped his drink and started sputtering.
 
Kano began to laugh, again a most disconcerting sight. “What's the matter, Mr. Sato? No sense of humor?”
 
“Oh…yeah. Eh-heh-heh.” Mr. Sato poured himself yet another drink and downed it immediately. “Asshole.”
 
Kano tossed the wallet back. “Asshole.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome pur her phone away. “Okay, all set.” She turned to Sango and grinned. “There's only one thing we have to do now - shopping!”
 
“Shopping?”
 
“We've got to get you a bathing suit…and we'll pick one up for Miroku, too.”
 
“May I come along?” asked the monk.
 
“No!” shouted Kagome and Sango in unison.
 
Kagome giggled. “You'll see it at the beach.” The miko turned thoughtful again. There was still something bothering her about this whole thing. If only she could put her finger on it!
 
“Kagome?” said Sango. “Is there something wrong?”
 
The miko shook her head. “No, I'm probably worrying about nothing.” Kagome moved towards the door. “I have a couple of things to do. We'll go as soon as Mama gets home.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Kagome pushed the tatami mat aside. “See ya in a bit!” But it still bothered her. There was just something about this whole thing. “What is it? What? What? What?”
 
 
 
A/N: So Kagome's started the rumor mill at school. Wait till she starts dropping hints that she's pregnant! Kagome's ji-chan has been playing with sutras (the little sneak). And it looks like Mr. Sato and Kano's plan is bearing fruit…although Kagome thinks there might be something “fishy” about this contest.
 
Hmmm. Wonder what Miroku's reaction will be to Sango in swimwear. Wonder what Sango's reaction to Miroku's reaction to other girls in swimwear will be.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.