InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - War Councils & War Paint ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
War Council & War Paint
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
It had been a couple of weeks since the first reenactment show had turned into such a fiasco. Due to the publicity generated by that little contretemps, however, attendance had been good; and, although the re-enactors couldn't duplicate exactly the events of that day, the shows had been good enough to keep the people coming.
 
Miroku and Sango now felt like they weren't a burden on Kagome's family, but rather contributors to the well-being of the Higurashi Shrine. Miroku had offered to help generate additional income by reading the palms of young girls, a proposal Sango had quickly vetoed. (Kagome giggled when she remembered the scene. It had been clear to her that the monk was pulling his fiance's leg.)
 
Even Kirara was now a part of the show. Kagome used a variant of a concealment spell she had developed for InuYasha to alter the fire neko's appearance. She couldn't hold it for long on Kirara in her large form, but only a few minutes was necessary…and when the “fearsome youkai” was slain (always in a cloud of smoke and dust, of course), the fire neko could slip away in her kitten form.
 
It was amazing what the public would accept…especially when they could see Sota operating a “projector” during the show. (Just keep the light on Kirara, Kagome had told her little brother.)
 
In any event, that first show - with its surprise appearance by the octopus/kraken youkai - had led to this day's assemblage.
 
The “war council” consisted of InuYasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Rin and Midori. Jaken sat off to the side, grumbling as usual about weak and worthless humans. Mama Higurashi was also there, as were Kagome's ji-chan and her little brother.
 
Sango and Miroku couldn't help glancing at the laptop Sesshoumaru had brought with him, currently displaying a web cam shot of Shippo. The monk and taijiya had grown accustomed to television, and even phones to a degree, but this was remarkable. Kirara, in kitten form, walked up to the computer, nosed Shippo's image…and then looked behind the screen for the rest of the kitsune.
 
Not finding him or even his scent, the fire neko decided her place was beside Sango. She curled up beside the taijiya…occasionally glancing at the screen.
 
“This Sesshoumaru calls this meeting to order.”
 
Kagome's ji-chan stood up. “I object! As the eldest here, I should be in charge!”
 
“Uhhh, grandpa?”
 
The old man glanced away from the staring contest he had started with the Great Lord of the Western Lands. “Yes, granddaughter?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes at the obvious stress the old man had place on “granddaughter”. She was glad to see that Sesshoumaru had developed a lot more patience over the centuries…although one of his eyebrows was creeping up. She spoke gently, but quickly, to her ji-chan. “I feel I should remind you that Lord Sesshoumaru is nearly seven hundred years old and is undoubtedly more of an expert at dealing with youkai than you are.”
 
“But I am the oldest human here.”
 
Mama stopped the old man with a touch on his shoulder. Kagome's mother had the normal Japanese reticence towards contradicting an elder, she felt she had to intervene. “I apologize for disagreeing, but Kagome is over four hundred years older than you are.”
 
Sesshoumaru watched as the old man slumped back into his seat. He mumbled under his breath, “These humans and their egos.”
 
No human could have heard his remark, but he had forgotten that the miko had acquired some measure of his brother's heightened senses by virtue of their mating. The tai-youkai glanced at the miko and winced. An angry Kagome was nothing to trifle with. “Now, if we could continue…”
 
InuYasha had noted his mate's bemusement at Sesshoumaru's remark. “Oi! Who put you in charge?”
 
“Osuwari!”
 
<WHAM!>
 
Kagome stood over the prone hanyou. “We don't need any of that, InuYasha.” The miko smiled inwardly. It had been nice of InuYasha to stick up for her…but this was not the time.
 
It was also nice to know she still had that hold on her mate.
 
“Bitch!”
 
“Only for you, InuYasha. Only for you, she thought back. To her surprise, she had found her mate's use of the appellation arousing. In fact, some of her arousal must have been transmitted to InuYasha through their mental connection: the hanyou's anger had abated…to be replaced by… “Later!”
 
Lord Sesshoumaru smiled slightly. The miko was no longer angry. That was good. He continued, “It is clear that there is an enemy at work who means to increase his own power at the expense of my brother and his mate.”
 
The Great Lord of the Western Lands had asked permission before revealing the next bit of information. “It is also clear that this enemy has discovered the resting place of the Shikon no Tama.”
 
Kagome's ji-chan sprang to his feet. “It's a lie! Kagome destroyed it!” The old man looked over to find his granddaughter sitting quietly, her hand resting against her one side. To his astonishment, he could see a pink glow coming from underneath. “Kagome?”
 
The miko sighed. She had released the concealing spell she had placed on the jewel. Now the old man, his own powers having been unsealed, could detect its presence. “It's true, grandpa. I couldn't destroy it.” She looked down, ashamed. “Although I tried.”
 
She felt an arm around her shoulder and looked up to find InuYasha pulling her to him. “Keh. The best Kagome could do was come up with an accommodation with the jewel.” The hanyou continued, “Even Kagome couldn't banish evil from this world; however, the chief desire of the jewel was to be left alone. It doesn't like being used.”
 
Kagome placed her hand on InuYasha's arm to let him know she would take up the story. “The agreement was that I take the jewel back into my body, where it would remain at rest.”
 
“Kagome!”
 
The miko looked to her ji-chan, who held an expression of horror.
 
“The jewel is evil. It will corrupt you!”
 
“Not my Kagome.” InuYasha drew his mate closer.
 
Kagome smiled and proceeded. “The jewel only corrupts those who try to use it. I have no desire for power. I have not tried to use the jewel's power and never will.”
 
Kagome's grandfather sat down. “So this youkai is after the jewel.”
 
“Exactly so.”
 
All eyes turned back to Lord Sesshoumaru.
 
The tai-youkai continued, “and if these are sea youkai behind this, they are in violation of ancient treaty…and very dangerous.”
 
“Scared, big brother?” InuYasha had managed to rise from the floor and was half-smirking at his brother, who glared back.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes again. Humans or youkai, it didn't matter, brothers would always be brothers. “Osu…” Kagome stopped at her daughter's touch.
 
“Mother.”
 
Kagome looked at Midori, and then back to InuYasha. “Sorry. Old habits die hard, I guess.”
 
Lord Sesshoumaru smirked back at InuYasha. “No more scared than you are…of your mate.”
 
“Why, you…”
 
 
******************
 
 
Katashi Sato was looking over the details associated with catering the Higurashi wedding when his secretary buzzed him. He punched the speaker button. “Hai?”
 
“There's a Mr. Kano to see you. He has several…friends…with him.”
 
Mr. Sato's eyebrows arched. Friends? What did it mean? “Send him in, please.”
 
“Sir? Are you sure?”
 
Katashi frowned. He had gone out of his way to find a capable, yet non-curious secretary. Whomever Kano had brought with him, they must be an interesting bunch. “Send them in.”
 
“Y-Yes, sir.”
 
His door opened and Kano, followed by an entourage that could be described as weird at best, entered. “We needed servers we could trust, you said.”
 
Mr. Sato buzzed his secretary. “You may take lunch, now.”
 
“Sir? It's only 11:00.”
 
“So? Take an extra hour!”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
Kano listened till he heard the outer door closing. “She's gone.”
 
Mr. Sato leaned back in his chair. “Thanks.”
 
“Is she getting too nosy? I could take care of her for you.”
 
Katashi watched as Kano licked his lips. He had lost two secretaries in two weeks, thanks to Kano's helpfulness. “No, thank you…at least not till this operation is over.”
 
Kano looked disappointed, but shrugged and continued. “These sea youkai in this, their human form, will work the wedding reception.”
 
Mr. Sato stared at the milling creatures. “They can speak?”
 
One of the thugs stepped forward. “We ain't stupid, mac, and we can handle a couple o' puny land youkai.”
 
Katashi remembered his encounter on the island and reached into his desk drawer, retrieving a liquor bottle and glass. “Of course.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Lord Sesshoumaru and InuYasha were still shooting each other occasional dirty looks, but their confrontation had definitely abated. Kagome and Rin had worked hard to soothe their respective mates and, of all people, Midori had taken over the meeting.
 
As one of InuYasha and Kagome's oldest surviving children, she had already known of the continuing existence of the Shikon no Tama. “As Lord Sesshoumaru has implied, the jewel cannot be allowed to become an active part of this world again. It has lain dormant in my mother's side. Considering the chaos caused by the jewel five hundred years ago, it is unthinkable to allow it to once again become the object of petty humans and power hungry youkai.”
 
“Uhhhnnnnn.”
 
All eyes turned to Kagome, who was wincing in paid while clutching her side. “I…I don't think the jewel likes the idea, either.”
 
InuYasha had stopped glaring at his brother and was now holding his mate. “Are you okay, Kagome?”
 
“I think so.” The miko dropped her hand from her side. The pain had subsided and the aura from the jewel had turned from an angry red back to its usual pink.
 
 
******************
 
 
Mr. Sato looked over the hired help. No matter how good their human forms were, they always looked not quite human.
 
Katashi took another drink.
 
“What's the matter, Katashi?” Kano had developed a certain casual familiarity with the porn merchant. He had gotten used to calling the man by his first name after they had gotten into the habit of cruising the local nightspots, getting drunk and picking up girls.
 
“You're sure this will make us so powerful the police won't be able to touch us?”
 
“So that was it.” Kano's eyes narrowed slightly. He had told the human that this whole thing would make them powerful, but had not told him the true nature of the jewel. The shark youkai looked around. The youkai he had recruited were brutes and didn't have much imagination, yet it wouldn't do to talk openly. “I feel like going out tonight, my friend.”
 
Mr. Sato downed another round. “As you wish.” Katashi's hand shook slightly as he put the glass down. This whole project had better bring them power. Two more girls would disappear tonight, and the papers were carrying stories about the strange happenings in which girls disappeared and bodies were never found.
 
Yes, it had better bring them power. Great power.
 
Mr. Sato picked up the phone. It was time to call Mrs. Higurashi.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Moshi moshi.”
 
Everyone remained quiet while Mama Higurashi was on the phone. Thanks to their hearing, both InuYasha and Lord Sesshoumaru could pick up the conversation on both ends.
 
“Yes, we have picked out our menu.” As the other listened, Mama rattled off a list of food and drinks for the wedding reception. As the man on the other end spoke with her, InuYasha's eyes narrowed and Lord Sesshoumaru's grin got bigger.
 
When Mama finally said goodbye and hung up the phone, InuYasha sprang to his feet. “That was Sato, alright!”
 
“Indeed,” replied Lord Sesshoumaru, who then turned to Kagome, who was smiling subtly, and then turned back to InuYasha. “Your mate never ceases to impress me, brother.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Ordering sea youkai to serve sashimi is a stroke of genius.”
 
 
******************
 
 
It had been a narrow escape for the human after he put down the phone and announced that seafood would be served at the Higurashi Shrine wedding. Kano had barely gotten Sato out alive…but at least it had given them the chance to go out earlier on their drinking spree.
 
And that meant better-looking, and better-tasting, women.
 
Kano smiled at the thought. He would calm the other sea youkai down later…mostly by pointing out that they ate seafood too. True, these were land creatures eating seafood, but he would get them over the insult.
 
First things first, however. It was time to find some women!
 
 
******************
 
 
The “war council” had been going on for hours and the rough outline of a plan was taking shape. It would require the help of several kitsunes (which Shippo had assured them was no problem) and the creation of another diorama by Kagome.
 
This one would have some unusual features, however.
 
By the time the meeting was over, and despite the bickering between the two brothers, the main features had indeed been worked out. And, although the youkai present grumbled about weak humans and their lack of stamina, it was agreed to resume the meeting the next morning.
 
This suited Kagome, who seemed anxious to “get some sleep” with InuYasha (much to Lord Sesshoumaru's amusement) and Rin, who surprised the Great Lord of the Western Lands with the demand that they get to bed, too.
 
“You require sleep too, Rin?”
 
“Don't think you're getting off that easily, Fluffy!”
 
The Great Lord of the Western Lands was chagrined to find his brother grinning at them as Rin led him away.
 
Sango was about to retire, herself, when Midori took her arm. “Yes?”
 
“It's early, Sango. Let's go out for a drink.”
 
“I…I don't know.” The taijiya placed her hand on her belly, where the slightest of bulges was just beginning to show. “Kagome tells me it's not good to drink during…this time.”
 
Midori smiled. “She's right, but you can have a small glass or two of wine once in a while. I know this great spot not too far from here.” The young miko paused. “Besides, I've always wanted to hear some stories of mom when she was young.”
 
“Didn't she tell you about our adventures?”
 
“Yeah. Some. But I want to hear them from you.”
 
Sango giggled. “Well, there are a few stories I could tell.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Everything had been settled. Surprisingly enough, Miroku had readily agreed to Sango's going out with Midori, and the young miko had helped the taijiya get herself together for the occasion. Midori first made herself up…putting on what she described as “war paint”…then helped Sango with a different hairstyle, some makeup (war paint), and a new outfit Kagome had helped Sango pick out (but the taijiya had been too nervous to wear), and the two were ready to go.
 
The only hold up was when the monk saw his fiancé in her outfit and almost didn't let her go out. Midori managed to smooth Miroku's ruffled feathers with a promise that she'd get his fiancé home early, and the two girls got on their way.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Look at that one.”
 
Katashi looked up from his drink and watched the two girls find their seats. “The one looks familiar to me.” He goggled forward. “At least her breasts do. I never forget a great pair of breasts.”
 
“Good man. They're good eatin'.”
 
Katashi snorted. Kano would remind him of that. “All you think of is your stomach.”
 
Kano sipped at his own drink. He hadn't had as much as Katashi, but he was definitely affected. “Not true. I think of your well-being, my friend.” The shark youkai put his arm around Mr. Sato's shoulders. It didn't do much to reassure the human.
 
“Sure, sure.” Katashi put his empty glass down and stuck his finger out at the shark youkai's nose. The youkai looked like he was struggling against his impulse to eat it. Mr. Sato pulled his finger back. “All you do is eat half the people you meet. You eat our dates. Not just yours, but mine as well!”
 
“So?”
 
“So…if the police catch up with us, you can just swim back out to sea. Me, I'll have a lot of explaining to do.”
 
Kano's eyes narrowed. “And you're catering a seafood reception.” The shark youkai relaxed. “But do not be worried. When we recover the Shikon no Tama from Kagome, our power will be limitless!”
 
“The Shikon no…”
 
Kano had decided a little lie was in order. Even if the human did find out the truth, it would be too late to do him any good. “Yes, the jewel of legend. The miko carries it within her body. It conveys almost limitless power to the holder.”
 
“Limitless…?”
 
“Ah, but only to youkai like myself. Humans cannot use it. Even the miko cannot use it, although she has her own powers. She merely guards it.” Kano sat back, waiting to see if Katashi bought the lie.
 
“I…see.” Mr. Sato was dubious, but what choice did he have? All he could do was play out the game. The waitress was filling his glass. If nothing else good, at least Katashi was a generous tipper…of pretty waitresses, anyway.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Is this okay?”
 
Sango looked around, noticing that not a few of the men in the place were stealing glances in their direction. “I guess.”
 
Both girls sat down. Midori continued, “It's owned by my son.”
 
“You have a son?”
 
“Several sons…and daughters, too.” Midori smiled. “Not as many as Mom, though. Not half as many.”
 
Sango was curious now. “How many do you have?”
 
“Ninety-four.”
 
Sango's eyes got big. “And Kagome has over twice that?”
 
“Yeah.” Midori grinned. “And now you and mom are both pregnant, and I'm going to be an aunt, again.”
 
A distinguished gentleman with just-graying temples stopped by the table and leaned in close to the girls. “Hi, mom.”
 
“Bring your mother and my friend, Sango, glasses of wine, would you, dear?” Midori reached for her pocketbook.
 
“You know it's on the house, mom. Put your money away. Will there be anything else?”
 
Midori thought for a moment. “Sango? How about some sashimi? You might like some of the new variety.”
 
“Sure.”
 
“Very good,” said the man as he left to place the order.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Come on. We're going over and introducing ourselves.”
 
“You go.”
 
“Come on, Katashi. You're my fin man.”
 
“The expression is `wing man.'”
 
“Whatever.” The shark youkai propped the half drunk human up on his feet and half pushed him to the table with the two women.
 
“Ladies?”
 
“Hmm?” Midori looked up. She was no stranger to men approaching her in bars, yet she resented having Sango's tale of her mother interrupted. She was vaguely disquieted by the excessively toothy grin of the one who appeared relatively sober. “Not interested.”
 
“But, ladies,” burbled Mr. Sato, who had just been pinched sharply, unseen to the girls, “my friend and I are two business executives from out of town and we are just looking for the two prettiest, sexiest young ladies from Tokyo to show us around.”
 
Sango blushed, but Midori knew how to handle these jokers. She glanced over at her son and quickly gave him the low sign to let him know she'd handle this herself. “I don't think so.”
 
“Yet you are definitely the prettiest, sexiest young ladies in Tokyo.” The larger man placed Katashi into the chair beside Sango and then took the chair beside Midori for himself. “I think we should all have a good time, tonight. What do you think?”
 
Midori looked at Kano. “He's got confidence. I'll give him that.” The young Miko looked over at Sango. The other man, obviously more drunk than his companion, had leaned his head onto the taijiya's shoulder and looked like he might even doze off.
 
The poor girl, having been told by Kagome that she should not draw too much attention to herself, had the classic “help me” expression on her face. She was torn between not causing a scene and wanting to beat the guy to a pulp.
 
Midori decided it was time to put her miko power to good use. Just as she had used her abilities to heat the drink of one of Kagome's friends in WacDonald's, she now heated the seat of the chair occupied by Kano. “But what IS it that bothers me about him, and why do I smell fish?”
 
Kano was getting increasingly uncomfortable. At first he thought it was his imagination, but now he was certain: his seat was getting warmer. But that should only be possible if someone with spiritual powers was around. Not only around, but around and knowledgeable about how to use them. “The girls?”
 
He stood up, causing the chair to topple over. “OWW!”
 
“What's wrong?”
 
The girl sitting beside Katashi looked as surprised as he was, but the girl asking after him was acting as if she expected his reaction. Kano concentrated his liquor-affected senses on her.
 
Yes, there it was. The girl was a miko, and a fairly strong one too. He thought he could beat her, but he was loath to cause a scene when he was so close to getting the jewel.
 
“Nothing. My friend and I will be going.”
 
Katashi looked up. This wasn't like Kano.
 
Just then, a waitress brought the girls' sashimi to the table.
 
It was the last straw for Kano, who grabbed Mr. Sato's arm and drew the man to his feet. He glanced back at the girls and what they were eating. “Come on, Katashi. There's better hunting elsewhere.”
 
The two staggered across the floor and out of the bar.
 
Midori watched them go. What was it about them?
 
 
 
A/N: Obviously I've had some trouble working on this. As I noted previously, I've been helping a friend with severe personal problems…and obviously this has gotten in the way of my writing. It's hard to write comedy when you're surrounded by depressing circumstances, but I'm trying to get back to it now.
 
Please consider this chapter the first phase of getting back into it. I've had to force myself a little, but sometimes you just have to do that if you're going to get anywhere.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.