InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Drastic mistakes ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the Dragon ~<>~

 

~<>~ Chapter 38 ~<>~ drastic mistakes

 

of all my chapters, this was the hardest one to write. I warn you now; this is indeed dark and contains no fluffy content. I have said many times I love happy endings and nothing makes me happier. So with that said, be warned, Character death imminent. (please don't kill me)

 

~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~ *~*~*

 

 

Kagome sat at the lunch table in an awkward silence with her friends. Hojo, Eri, and Ayume had chosen today of all days to join the new table of outcast friends…and as Murphy's law continued to plague them, no one had anything to say. After pushing InuYasha out of the bathroom, Kagome hadn't spoken a word to him and there was a tension as thick as molasses between the two. That made things bad. Miroku and Sango couldn't look at each other without blushing, which made things odd. And with everyone knowing, or assuming they knew, what InuYasha had done to Kagome in science only added to the fire. Now they sat without saying anything. It was an awkward time indeed.

InuYasha, growing very sick of the tension, stood up and grabbed his backpack. "I'm going out for a smoke…someone get me if something happens…or we stop getting suffocated by the air." He turned on his heels, adverting Kagome's glare, and walked out of the swinging doors. `I shouldn't leave them alone but they do have the letch who can scream like a girl…so I'm sure I'll hear if anything goes wrong.' He sighed and pulled a cigarette from the pack in his back pocket of his overly baggy blue jeans and lit up the second he was out of the school. He sighed in some release as he blew the smoke into the crisp midday air. `Sometimes all it takes is one cigarette…other days it's a whole fuckin pack.' He was still perturbed that his vision and smell had yet to come back. He had worried for a brief time that his ears had gone as well but that sense hadn't been dulled…for some reason. He shook his head and rolled his eyes. On his third drag, he began to feel rather lightheaded. `What the fuck, hanyou's don't get sick, and I sure as hell ain't turning human. Fuck…' he put a hand to his head and slid down against the building. He suddenly felt like he had been run over by a truck. His body ached and his head was spinning. Glancing at the cancer stick in his hand, he groaned and threw it to the ground. `Maybe Miroku was right…maybe it's my punishment for the habit.'

He tried to stand on wobbly legs and attempted to let his eyes adjust to the light. Now everything looked like a Van Gogh painting; the shiny cars in the parking lot were blobs of bright colors, the sky looked like the ocean with waves of white and green…the school looked like a fallen tree in the middle of a forest, a big brown blob…. He grabbed for the door handle, intent on getting back to Kagome and Miroku when Kagome came through the door…at least he was pretty sure it was Kagome. The blob of black and red grabbed his arm to help steady him out on his feet. His eyes phased into darkness from a sudden head rush then back to the acid trip like colors. `Last time I saw things in this perspective, I was under so many fucking drugs I couldn't walk for a fuckin week.' He grabbed onto the blobs shoulder and stopped walking. "Wait Kagome…need…to ….get to Miroku…" he couldn't believe that the voice he heard was his own. He sounded so tired…so befuddled. "K'gom…."

A voice came back sounding rather disgruntled, "come on…we'll rest you down here." It would be along time before he realized that the voice was not who he thought it was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~

Kagome glanced on the clock on the wall and sighed. They had indulged in light conversation after the offensive hanyou had left the cafeteria but everyone was still pussyfooting around what had happened in science. As she expected, the entire school knew that InuYasha had done something to her in class…the variety of stories made her laugh and yet want to die at the same time. she was trying to be light hearted about the subject…she was trying so hard. He loved her…she was sure about that. If he didn't he wouldn't have let her pummel him before kicking him out of the bathroom. And pummel him she did. Three hard smacks across the face, a barrage of angry curses and a very near kick in the balls let him know how she really felt. It only took one period for the rumors to start. One rumor she heard when she walked by freshmen was that he had actually bent her over the desk…there were more colorful ones that made even Kouga blush as they asked him to verify their stories in math. The humor of the events made the day a little easier on Kagome. She looked at the door that InuYasha had stormed out of a few minutes before and she sighed. `He's not gonna quit smoking until it kills him…probably not even then. He's not as bad as some people I know but still…' she sighed and looked at Sango who was staring at her food. With a slight giggle, she leaned closer to the door, "so Sango…you disappeared off the track in gym…I waited by the door for you…but boy were you late for class." She grinned wickedly at the girl who was throwing threats of death in her direction nonverbally. `God, I antagonize worse then InuYasha!' she cleared her throat and took a quick glance at Miroku who had stopped eating and was looking intently at Kagome. "Where were you Sango?"

Sango swallowed her mouth full of fat ridden hamburgers and tapped her nails on the table. "I got caught up in something."

Kagome knew InuYasha would have jumped to correct her with, `or under something', or something like that but she let it slide. "Wow…must have run to class cause you seemed out of breath by time you got there…with rather disheveled clothes."

Sango picked up her math book, a book rarely opened by the girl, and thumbed through random pages, trying to avoid looking directly at Kagome. "Something like that."

Kagome licked her lips and looked to the table. "Well, as long as we're clear on that matter…so…." She looked up at Sango and nudged her with her elbow, "your not pregnant, right Sango?"

Sango slammed the book on the table and stared at her best friend, ready to lash out to make her close her mouth. "Just as much as you are a virgin."

Kagome gawked at the friend for a moment, then closed her mouth with a loud "hmph". She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.
Miroku chuckled but shut his mouth quickly when he got two very threatening glares from the girls.

Kagome stood up after a moment and stretched. "I'm going to go find InuYasha."

Miroku pointed to the door and gave her a wink, "he'll be on the side of the building…and stay away from the school pool, and we don't need that one contaminated as well as the others. I know how you two are with water."

Someone behind the table cleared their throat and Kagome turned quickly. Her breath caught in her throat as she stared at the girl behind her. She wanted to rip her throat out. Suddenly, she found herself at a loss of words as she stared at the girl. Fortunately, Sango did not. "What, get tired of fucking Naraku so you've become a lesbian and want Kagome now? Or are you trying to dick her over as well, like you did Souta?"

Karron blushed under the heavy insinuations and stared at the floor. "I'm…sorry…about everything. I…I didn't know Naraku was going to take it so far. I thought…I figured…."

Kagome crossed her arms and snapped back, "You figured that you'd stay in his good graces after delivering him a human sacrifice on a silver platter. But let me guess…he ditched you as soon as we realized what was going on and tried to kill you."

Karron nodded dully and closed her eyes. "I was a fool…i wanted Diegosan dead so bad, I made a deal with the devil to get rid of him. Somewhere along the line, I let him in my bed and that was when hell started. He demanded…"

Miroku slammed his fist into the table and glared at the girl out from under his purple hood. "Cut your crap Karron…we don't give a damn. You had your chance and made your bed with that fucker in it…get used to it. You'll be dead soon so enjoy life."

Karron took a step back then hung her head. "My brother kicked me out…Surron found out about me and Naraku and kicked me out of the house. I don't blame him…I would have exiled myself sooner if I thought about it. I…I'm so angry that I set up Souta…I don't know why I did it! I…I was like under some type of spell or something of his…Naraku was like a drug."

Kagome scoffed and glared at the girl, standing up to meet her face to face. "If you want sympathy, you're in the wrong place. Frankly, I wouldn't care if you dropped dead tomorrow." She shoved Karron's shoulders and glared at the girl, "you put my brother in jail…you put him right into Naraku's clutches. My baby brother…the boy who gave you his heart! You were playing him like a fiddle!"

Karron sighed and looked to the side, pain swirling in her cat like green eyes. "I know what I did…and every morning since I realized…"

Sango laughed bitterly, "You mean this morning?"

Karron blinked then glared at the three, "you think this is easy for me? God, I thought I was in love with the son of the fucking man who killed my father and siblings! You want to talk about fuck ups? I was wrong…I was so wrong. Now I realize it…after its to late. I can't change the past but I can help with the future. I want to take Naraku out and I want to take him out bad."

Miroku sat back and called out harshly, "get in the back of the fuckin line. We all want him gone."

Karron chewed on her lip for a moment, "I can help…I know all of his secrets. I know how to get around his house…I know what he did and how he did it! Let me help…please!"

Sango snorted and gave the girl a bewildered stare. "Are you dense? You think after you fool us once that we're going to just trust you? You stabbed poor Souta in the back and could have signed his death sentence." She put a hand to her mouth and looked at Kagome. Yet the words didn't affect her.

Kagome blinked once at the girl and narrowed her eyes. "How the hell do we know you're not still in collaboration with Naraku?"

Karron shrugged and ran her foot over the floor, looking down at the ground. "I don't know…if I could prove it, I would. I so would. I wish I could…but….i don't know anything I can say to make you trust me."

Kagome sighed and looked at the other two. Miroku's scowl showed his feelings about the girl and Sango merely stared. Turning back she let her arms fall to her side. "You want to help take him down?"

Karron nodded, hope dancing across her eyes. "More then anything."

Kagome blinked once and then nodded. "All right, you can help take him down."

Miroku stood surprisingly fast and called out in alarm, "Kagome, no."

Kagome turned and gave Miroku a small smile. " It's okay, Miroku, I think we can trust her. I just have a feeling…"

Sango stood up next, her arms crossed at her side, "no, I don't like it Kagome. She betrayed us…she's the reason your brother is in jail."

Kagome nodded once then fixed her stare on Karron. "You realized it, didn't you? That's if Naraku takes out Souta…then he'll take out the others and me. You realized that after all that, you'd be next. Because you know…you know what really happened."

Karron nodded and pulled up a chair from a table next to them. "I want to say I felt horrible about it, and I do…but that hit me first. I realized after he shot at me that I was as good as dead if you all failed in bringing him down. I want to help…I want my revenge for poor Souta…and for my family."

Miroku shook his head and glared at Kagome. "Trusting her could be our downfall."

Kagome looked from Miroku to Karron. She took a deep breath and asked her calmly, "If you agree to help us, what I'm going to ask you to do is big. You might get hurt. But if you can succeed in it, then he's done. Are you willing to put your life on the line?"

Hojo and the others who sat at the table moved closer and stared at the four in utter shock. He was the first to speak, "Kagome…what are you guys going to do?"

Kagome jumped, almost forgetting her friends were there, and frowned. "I don't want you guys a part of this…but I do want to talk to Eri." She reached out a hand to help her friend from her seat. "Come on, girl, we need to talk." She looked at Karron and pointed at her chair. "Stay there, I'll be right back." grabbing Eri's wrist, she hauled the girl into the girl's bathroom across from the cafeteria. Once inside, she checked the stalls then locked the door. She turned to Eri and folded her hands together. "I need a favor."

Eri, who had been in shock the entire time, suddenly snapped out of her daze and nodded swiftly, "anything."

Kagome glanced at the door then back at the girl. She moved closer and whispered, "are you still volunteering with the local press and editor and chief of our school paper?"

Eri nodded again, "hai. I'm going to be going onto payroll at the local press. I can't wait…."

Kagome grinned and put a hand on the girls shoulder, "then how about a news breaking story?"

Eri frowned and sat down on one of the chairs. "Like what?"

Kagome paced for a moment then held out a hand, "I need you to perform a five minute interview with Naraku about his father's death at his home."

Eri's jaw dropped as she stared at the girl dumbfounded. "You want me to what?"

Kagome gave her a sly smile, "I need you to ask Naraku to do an interview for our school paper about his father's death. His father, if I remember correctly, was one of the first few students to graduate from here. It should be a big story. Who else to tackle it but the editor and chief?"

Eri formed a thin line with her lips and asked timidly, "but why at his house?"

Kagome inhaled sharply and opened her Prada purse that rested on her shoulder. "Because…you want a familiar atmosphere with the boy. You are going to ask him if you can tape record the conversation. You have to remember to do that, Eri, its important. Before you start, I need you to stick this," she pulled out a small tape recorder and handed it to Eri. On the back of it, she had put sticky tape to hold it in place, "under the table in his kitchen. Make sure to have it recording. Then pull out this," she handed her the larger hand held recorder, "and tape record with this for his amusement. Keep it short, a few questions and no reference to Souta, none what so ever. He already knows we're friends and he'll try to get out of it for that. I want you to trash me…and trash me good. I'm associating with filth, all that stuff, stuff that would dissuade him from believing that your there because of me. Then after five minutes, get the hell out of there. Got it?"

Eri took the tape recorders and stared at them as if they were weapons of mass destruction. "i….but what if he sees…. the little one?"

Kagome sighed and grabbed her friend's hand, startling her. "Please, Eri…I need you to do this. He won't notice…you have to be steady though. I mean, if you shake, he'll know we're up to something. You need to be sneaky. I won't make you do it….i will ask you to however. Please…Eri…. i need you to do this…my brother needs you to do this."

Eri nodded once then looked at the recorder again. "Kagome, this is only a forty minute tape. How…he's not going to admit to me he killed him."

Kagome nodded. "I know, that's where Karron is going to come in. just worry about planting the device and asking if its okay to record."

Eri put the recorded into her pocket and nodded. "all right. I can do it."

Kagome smiled and hugged her friend. "I know you can."

Eri grinned and hugged her back. "Now I get a question."

Kagome pulled back and stood up. Unlocking the door, she walked into the hallway. "Sure…go for it."

Eri laughed and leaned in towards Kagome and asked in a hushed whisper, "just what did happen in science?"

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~~**~*~*~**

 

InuYasha stumbled behind Kagome as they reached the bottom of the school steps. Sitting down on the curb of the parking lot, he grabbed his head and held onto it for dear life. Everything was so blurry…so wrong. He knew it was wrong and he knew there was trouble but he couldn't figure it out…he couldn't make his senses straighten out. It annoyed him…to feel this helpless. He felt Kagome begin to rub his shoulders, trying to release the tension from earlier. He moaned under her touch, no matter how rough it seemed. "Gods Kag…I don't know…what's wrong…with me. Everything is so…weird."

He heard her shush him and he clamped his mouth shut, the cars shifting like blobs of jello in front of his eyes. `God what did I smoke?' his hand fumbled into his pocket and he pulled out his pack of Newports. "Something…is wrong…"

A hand snatched them away and he groaned, the quickness of the action turning his mind. A rather cold tone pulled at his ears, "nothing is wrong. I'll hold onto these for now. My poor baby…what is wrong?" he felt a hand running through his hair and he brushed he head into it. The voice called out again, "don't worry, Inu, I'll take care of you."

He felt the hand graze his cheek and he pulled back. "Your hands are like ice…." He made a grab for the things by his face that looked like hands but missed by a mile. His vision was getting worse and now the threat of regurgitating their disgusting lunch was beginning to pull at his stomach.

The hand reached back out and grabbed his chin. Holding it tightly, he felt lips brush against his. "Let me make you better."

He kissed her back gently, letting his lips brush over hers. He put his forehead against hers and sighed. "I love you and I'm sorry."

A small laugh was heard above the clanging of something…of what, he didn't know. "I love you too, Inu. More then you'd ever know."

He thought he heard someone cry out…maybe even scream. Yet it was gone as soon as it had been there. His vision changed to darker hues as he felt himself being dragged up from the curb.

The voice that had soothed him called out again, "let's go to the chorus room…no one's there."

He narrowed his eyes and then rubbed them. "Kagome…are you okay?"

He heard a slight huff followed by a rather snippy, "yes, fine. Let's go."

His feet stumbled beneath his body as he felt someone grab his hand and haul him off towards the chorus room. `This isn't right…something…anything…everything…isn't right. Why is Kagome…dragging me…away? I need to figure this out!'

~*~*~*~*~*~**~~~*<Meanwhile>

 

Kagome returned to lunch with a very giddy Eri in pursuit. She slumped into her chair and glared at Karron. She was guessing that the time she was gone was not easy for the girl. The red headed Neko seemed to be on the verge of tears but she could not feel bad for her. What she felt bad for was the feeling of betrayal for her brother that welled in her chest. She just kept telling herself that she needed to trust Karron and it was for Souta's best interest. If it were in her power, she would see Karron go down right along side of Naraku for conspiracy. But that would only be told by time. She cleared her throat and tapped her fingers on the table. "Your mission, if you want to help, is going to be to go to Naraku's mansion at six o'clock tonight. You are to storm through his front doors and make a scene. You need to drag the scene into the kitchen. There you need to get him to confess by six thirty that he killed his father. You must get him to say, `I killed Diegosan'. There's no other way. After he gets that out, feel free to get yourself you of there. That's it."

Karron nodded once and ran a hand through her short hair. "Is that it?"

Kagome nodded. "In the kitchen, six o'clock, confession with him saying he did it."

Karron nodded and stood up. "I got you and I can do that. He'll be scary…but I think I can get it out of him. Why the kitchen, are you going to bug it?"

Kagome blinked and shook her head. "No…like I could get near his castle to do that. It's other plans that you don't need to worry about. Just get in, get his statement, and get out. We'll worry about the rest."

Karron gave Kagome a small smile and nodded. "I can do it."

Kagome nodded and stood as well. "I'm going to tell Yash about this. All of you…secrets remember. Don't say anything unless it's necessary. Eri…five thirty, remember that."

Eri nodded at the not so cryptic message and gave the girl a smile. "I can do that." the bell ran behind them and Kagome grabbed her book bag. Looking to Sango and Miroku she smiled. "I'll meet you in class. I want to see Yash."

Miroku stood up and scowled. "I don't approve…"

Kagome shrugged and pushed her way out of the cafeteria. They would have to trust her…they would have to trust Eri and find a way to trust Karron. Without trust, this was doomed. She made her way out of the school and stopped dead in her tracks. Her book bag fell from her shoulder as she stared at the scene before her. InuYasha was sitting on the curb talking to Kikyo. But that wasn't the least of it. Kikyo leaned over and InuYasha kissed her. He kissed her. Time stood still as she watched InuYasha kiss Kikyo with the gentleness he kissed Kagome with…with the same passion and look in his eyes. Then the words sealed it.

"I love you and I'm sorry."

Kagome shook her head slowly, trying to clear her ears. There was no way her InuYasha just told that slut he loved her. She could feel the tears welling in her eyes as she stared at the duo sitting on the curb.

"I love you too, Inu. More then you'd ever know."

Kagome felt her heart tie itself in a knot as she watched Kikyo help InuYasha off the curb. She wanted to scream to him, wanted to scream at him. Yet her mouth wouldn't work. She tried…but no sound came. Her words were lost to the thundering of her heart. She let out a heavy gasp and stumbled backwards into the door. Kikyo glanced over her shoulder back at the girl as she slowly walked InuYasha across the parking lot with a very demonic smile etched on her face. Kagome felt tears spilling down her pale cheeks and she let out a rugged sob.

Turning on her heels, she slammed open the school doors and pushed her way through the crowded hallways, tears pouring like rain down her face. She didn't care who saw her or who called to her. `That bastard…how could he? Of all people…her…why, why her? How could he do this to me? I thought…. Was this all a game to him? Was he always with her? I gave him everything…he wouldn't…no…he couldn't.'

Kagome pushed her way into the girls locker room, the one place in the school she knew she would be alone. She needed to think…she needed to clear her mind from what she just saw. `God, what was he thinking? Why…why would he do that?' the incident of Kouga and the bet ran through her mind and her eyes darkened as she sat down on the leather couch of the abandoned locker room. `Was it another bet? Did he bet someone about me…that he could get me so easily? Was he…has he been with Kikyo the entire time? No…not Yash…he wouldn't!' a small voice pulled at the back of her mind, screaming in whispers, `but look what he has done to you…he ruined your reputation, he has made you look like an easy whore that just needs to be touched…he demolished everything you've built for two years in two weeks. He used you and threw you out.'

She dropped her head into her hands and began to sob mercilessly. She never heard the door open.

~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*

InuYasha followed behind `Kagome' till they reached the chorus room. He felt her tense up and he blinked a few times, his vision very slowly returning. He saw black…hair? Yes, black hair. He shook his head and put a hand to his temple. "Kag…I'm really not feeling well…"

The girl's back went ridged as he heard people calling his name…the male squeaky voice sounded almost like Miroku. Suddenly he was moving again…quicker…following behind Kagome into…the auditorium? He managed a smirk from his deranged state and coughed out, "if you wanted to be alone…all you needed to do…was say so, Kag." He shook his head and rolled his eyes, his vision still horrendous, "but I'm really not in the mood…"

A breathy sigh was all he got in return before he was shoved into one of the blue plastic chairs that linked together through the large room. He felt her straddle his lap and his grin widened. He placed his hands on her hips and brought his mouth to her neck. "I thought you'd be mad at me…" in the dark, he could feel his senses returning…but something still was not right. `didn't she say she didn't want me touching her for a long time? is four periods really that long? Is this revenge? Am I going to open my eyes to find a room full of kids?' he gasped as she began to kiss his neck and pull at his shirt. `hell, I don't care who sees…' he bent forward to kiss her again.

He was pushed back again, his head hitting the plastic behind him. He whistled at her dominance and ran a hand through her hair. "Well…I'll let you…" his eyes widened slightly as he felt her hand tugging at his pants zipper. He shook his head once, running a hand over his eyes and he blinked rapidly. "Damn Kagome…of all places …"

Kikyo glared up at the boy and sighed as she finally worked his pants loose. "Shut up and let me do this."

InuYasha froze. Though his vision was still blurry, his hearing was right on queue. Had to be the dark…he had always relied on his senses in the dark, and they were always at keenest there. His hearing was fine…and he knew the voice he was hearing was defiantly not Kagome. He blinked again and grabbed the girl on his lap by her hair before she could get near her goal. Pulling her head back sharply, he heard her yelp in shock. He leaned down and narrowed his eyes. Taking a small sniff, he recoiled and threw the girl to the floor before jumping from his chair. He landed a row back and walked to the isle, fury burning in his eyes. "What in the name of seven hells is going on?" he grabbed Kikyo by the front of her shirt and lifted her off the ground, bringing her close to his face. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

Kikyo sighed and flicked the hanyou's nose. "Put me down, you filthy animal!"

InuYasha growled and lifted her higher in spite. "Talk, whore, what are you doing?" he blinked as his eyes widened, "what the fuck did you do to me?" his face blanched as he tightened his grasp, "where's Kagome?"

Kikyo put her hands on his and in a second he felt sudden sever pain. He dropped her to the floor and pulled his hands in to his body. She stood slowly, brushing off her skirt, then glowered at him. "I didn't do anything to you. You assumed I was your slut."

InuYasha fought back the urge to backhand the whore right then and there but settled for punching the wall five inches from her head. His hands hurt…holy shit did they hurt. But he wasn't walking out of here without answers. `That bitch has to be some sort of priestess…she holds some nasty power in that nasty body! What the hell!' Kikyo yelped and he narrowed his eyes, daring the slut to speak. His free hand worked his pants closed with disgust etched under the anger that had overtaken his face. His voice was just above a primal growl, "speak, now! What did you do to me?"

Kikyo shrugged and rolled her eyes. "I didn't do anything, like I told you. I'm just following orders."

Inuyasha's mouth dropped as he felt his blood run cold. He grabbed her shirt again and pulled her closer to him, "orders? What fucking orders? Whose orders?" those words seemed to clear his senses real fast. Like being high, when something traumatic hit him, he was always able to pull himself out of it. Those words had to power of a bucket of ice.

Kikyo sighed loudly and raised a hand towards him, "do you want me to purify you? Put me down now, you filthy…"

This time he did hit her. It wasn't hard…but a smack across the bitch's face seemed to wake her up real fast. She blinked away the tears from the assault and spat back, "think real hard, you fucking mutt! Naraku! He told me to keep you busy while he did what he wanted to, namely your girlfriend."
Inuyasha's eyes widened as he dropped her to the floor. His senses cleared nearly immediately and he sniffed the air. It was faint but he knew he could smell a mix of things that turned his stomach into knots. He smelt Kagome's tears…and fear. He glowered down at the girl and pointed a finger at her, growling deeply, "if anything has happened to her Kikyo, I swear to god, no demon on this world will be able to save you from me! There will not be a rock small enough for you to hide under!" he turned and ran like a bat out of hell from the Auditorium, tracing Kagome's scent with his nose. `God I hope I'm not to late.'

~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*<<In the meantime>>>

Kagome sobbed into her hands for a long moment. In a matter of seconds, her heart had been ripped from her chest by the scene she had interrupted. `God, why would he do that? That note…have they really…has he been with her…this whole time?' she didn't hear the door open but she sure heard the lock being twisted into place. Her head shot out of her hands and she stood slowly. "Hello?" she stuck her head out of the small lounge and glared about the length of the locker room. Nobody was there, but she couldn't get the feeling that she was being watched out of her head. Goose bumps traced her flesh as she slowly made her way towards the wooden door, dragging her feet on the cold cement floor. She reached the door and pulled at its golden knob. It was locked…but not only by the dead bolt which she tried to undo but by the key lock. `Did they lock gym for the night? Shit!' she turned and ran down the length of the gym to the other door. The same fate awaited her at the other door. She pulled at the door and raised her hand to bang on it, opening her mouth to scream.

"Don't…do that."

Kagome felt her body tense at the sound of the very male dominate voice that echoed about the locker room like a clap of thunder. She licked her suddenly dry lips and turned to look out around the large room. There was still no one in the room with her…from what she could see. She took a very deep breath and called out, faking a rather poorly mocked bravado, "who are you? You're in the wrong locker room…get out!"

Laugher echoed from the back sections of one of the rows of lockers and she jumped. The laugher was malicious…evil. The sheer resonance of it made her skin crawl. She inhaled sharply and glanced about the room, looking for some type of escape. There were hallways and dark corners in all directions…and whoever was in here with her could be anywhere. She felt her hands shaking as she slowly made her way towards the sports utility closet. `At least there I can get a bat…or something…'

Kagome walked very slowly down the one row between lockers towards another set. `Why do we have to have such a big fucking locker room?' suddenly the light in front of her to the row she was heading to dimmed and went out like a candle in the night air. She gasped and paused, her heart beat echoing in her ears with each beat. She turned on her heels towards the direction she had come from. She began walking, a little faster, towards the other row of lockers by the door. That light was snuffed out just as quick. She gasped and bit her lip, `I should have stayed with Rin and Miroku…god…what if…' she closed her eyes in the silent knowledge of the identity of her stalker and called out, "I'm not afraid of you, Naraku! Show yourself, coward!"

Another vile laugh broke the dead silence in a terrifying way. "I think you are…Kagome…I can smell your fear, and it smells delicious."

Kagome bit down on her lip, it was all she could do from keeping herself from screaming. She turned in a circle, hearing footsteps outside of her row of lockers. She balled her hands into fists and climbed up on the bench separating the sides of lockers. `I'm not going to be caught off guard like all of those cheep horror flicks!' she glanced to the top of the lockers and with a solid jump, brought herself to grab onto the metal water pipe that traced the ceiling. Soundlessly, she lowered herself to the tops of the lockers. She could see a shadow on the floor, being cast from the little sunlight that made it through the bar covered windows. She jumped to the next set of lockers, seeking out that storage closet. `They never lock it, if I could just…'

A sound that resembled the thunder of the gods echoed behind her and she screamed. Turning around a set of lockers that had been three rows back were flipped over, lying on its right side. Her eyes widened as she slowly stood to her full height. `Screw this!' she took off running down the tops of the lockers towards where the utility closet was. `Almost there…' she never saw the hand that reached up in front of her, until it wound its way around her ankle as she leapt from the one set of lockers towards the next. She fell, chin first, into set of lockers in front of her and her vision darkened, as she tasted the metallic taste of blood. Her head snapped back and her body flew backwards and she landed on the cement floor back first. Everything around her went from a stark white to a pitch black as she lost her battle with consciousness.

~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*

Kagome didn't know how long she was out but it couldn't have been for more then a few minutes. She coughed and turned her head from her lying position and spit out what felt like a mouthful of blood to her side. She opened her eyes to find the room dully lit and glanced to the floor. What she spit out was a mouth full of blood. She gasped and tried to sit up only to gasp again; her hands were tied to something behind her head. She blinked as her vision cleared to find herself back in the lounge, lying on the long leather couch that had been added the summer before. She felt an aching pain in her back and a hammering headache banging away at her temples and a scary rather numb feeling to at the base of her skull. Suddenly remembering what she had been running from, she began ferociously pulling at the ropes behind her, twisting her body with her remaining strength. Everything was still in speckles of light, but she knew she was in danger.

A dark and sadistic voice called out from behind her, "You won't break free, my pet. I made sure to knot those extra tight."

Kagome's eyes shot like bullet to her right. Somehow she had missed the figure standing there, smiling cruelly at her. She bucked against the ropes as her eyes widened in realization. "You won't get away with this, Naraku! InuYasha will come!"

Naraku squatted next to Kagome and ran a hand down her pale cheek. He traced her lips and pulled his finger back, blood covering the tip. He shook his head and licked the blood off of it, staring devilishly at her. "InuYasha won't come for you Kagome, I've seen to it. You know, smoking is a dangerous habit."

Kagome's eyes widened as she tried to sit up. Stars assaulted her eyes and she rested her head back instantly. "What did you do to him?"

Naraku shrugged and let his hand trace her jaw and down her neck. "I did nothing to him…it was all Kikyo. I'm sure they are having their way with each now as we speak. I'm sure he'll be devastated to learn of your misfortunes during his tryst with the girl he was convinced was you. But then again, after a stunt like that in science," he let his hands trace her collar bones and laughed at her stiffening under his touch, "do you really think he cares about you Kagome? Do you think a half demon mutt like him can understand a girl like you…love a girl like you? No, my dear Kagome, you need a real man."

Kagome spit again, this time hitting Naraku straight in his face, "go to hell, Naraku. He's more of a man then you'll ever be!" though she was scared, his words bestowed some comfort in her soul. `he thought she was me…he hasn't been with her…he thought…'

Naraku growled and pulled his hand away only to backhand her roughly, his knuckles digging into her left cheek. "Watch your mouth, you whore! You need a real man to put you in your place! I've been watching you two for a long time…you were so innocent before he tainted you…before he defiled you! I should have been your first…I should have taken you months ago!"

Kagome turned her head with the blow and remained quiet, tears of fear and frustration welling in her eyes, but she wouldn't let them fall. She wouldn't give him that pleasure. "You could never of had me, Naraku! Never!"

Naraku growled and stood up before throwing his leg over her hips, straddling her waist. "I'll have you, Kagome, don't you worry your pretty little head about that. You should worry about what is going to happen to you when I'm done!" he bent down and licked the blood off her chin that had formed in the gash across her skin. He grinned as she tried to pull away futilely.

Kagome gasped and squirmed under his body weight. `No…he will not get away with this. InuYasha…please…god please hear me!' she reared back and opened her mouth to scream.

Naraku took the free second of Kagome readying herself to let everyone in the school know where she was and forced his mouth down upon hers, silencing any of her cries. Using the open crevice to his advantage, he shoved his tongue into her gaping mouth.

Kagome gagged under him and brought her teeth down mercilessly on his tongue, drawing blood from the demon. She smirked at him as he pulled back in a torrent of curses. "Bastard serves you…"

Naraku reared back and backhanded Kagome with all of his power. "Bitch!" Her head snapped to the right like a thrown rag doll and he countered to her left with yet another hard blow. Her body went limp under and he cursed. "The hell I am letting you off that easy…you're going to be awake for this!" he stared hard at her then slapped her a little more gently on her cheek. He knew she was wounded and was borderline unconscious as it was but it didn't matter to him. He wanted what was rightfully his…he wanted her and wanted her now. He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out the vile of smelling salts he had used originally to wake her up. Putting it under her nose, she inhaled sharply and began coughing.

Kagome snapped her eyes open and began to struggle almost immediately. She blinked a few times while thrashing back and forth until her eyes settled behind Naraku and she paused…a look of terror tracing her face.

Naraku smiled and wrapped one hand around her neck. "Now…you will stay awake for this! I have waited to long for this, Kagome! You're…"

A set of claws descended upon Naraku's back, slashing open the skin in four perfect lines. A howl bellowed from the demon's lips as another clawed hand wrapped around Naraku's throat and ripped him away from Kagome. Thrown against the nearest wall, the same set of claws slashed at the demon's chest.

Inuyasha's growl resonated throughout the empty room as he punched at the demon's head, leaving a trail of blood behind him. His eyes were bleeding red and he could hardly control his actions. As he had gotten a hundred feet from the gym, he had smelt Kagome's blood and it managed to release his inner demon. Thinking that Naraku had the audacity to touch what was his…to hurt his mate..there would be reconciliation after this…Naraku was as good as dead. Now he had him in his claws…

Naraku spit blood out of his mouth, along with a broken tooth, at InuYasha and scowled, "put me down, you worthless piece of trash!"

InuYasha simply clocked him again, knocking another tooth from the demon's lips. He let loose a string of very threatening growls as he punched at Naraku again, and again, bloodying the bastard in his grasp.

Naraku, with a sudden rush of adrenaline, brought his knee up and connected with InuYasha in his stomach. The demon form of the boy didn't seem to notice as he continued his onslaught of punches. Naraku growled back as the hanyou's claws pieced his neck. His eyes darkened as he punched at InuYasha, connecting with his face. Once again, it didn't phase the demon or loosen his grasp. Naraku sighed and sputtered out, "If you waste your time killing me, baka, your mate will die."

Even in his demonic form, he paused and stared deep into the other demon's eyes. His voice was deep and very rasp, booming in a rather primordial manor from the back of his throat, "What?"

Naraku grimaced and pulled away from the hanyou's grasp. "She cracked the back of her head open on the cement…if you waste time trying to take your revenge…she'll surely bleed to death."

Inuyasha's eyes dimmed away from the angry red to a rage filled amber. He sniffed the air and turned to look back at Kagome. There was a lot of blood…he could smell it…but was it enough to bring about her death? Did he really want to chance it?

Naraku took the seconds distraction and reared around to kick InuYasha in the stomach. This time the half demon felt it. Naraku pulled back and pulled a butterfly knife out from his coat. Flicking open the blade, he circled InuYasha.

InuYasha felt Naraku kick him and he dropped to his knee, for a matter of seconds. He was on his feet before he could blink and was following Naraku, who was circling him with a rather dangerous looking knife in his hand. InuYasha licked his lips then sneered, "you're going down Naraku!" he lunged at the demon and side stepped the thrust of the knife and uppercut Naraku in his jaw, sending him back a few feet.

Naraku was on his feet quicker then lightning and grabbed for the hanyou. When he jumped out of his path, as Naraku had predicted he would, he countered to his right with a wide swing of the knife and caught InuYasha across his chest with a shallow slash from the knife.

InuYasha growled and jumped back, the blade slicing his flesh was the furthest thing on his mind. It didn't matter how Naraku hurt him…he had hurt Kagome. He had seriously hurt Kagome. He could smell the amount of Kagome's blood was increasing and it dripped from her body. She was hurt bad and he needed to get to her. He threw another punch then jumped back to Kagome. He looked down to see that she was staring at him, struggling against the bonds. His eyes widened and he paused, nothing else mattering but her safety. "Kagome…"

Kagome's eyes widened and she screamed, "InuYasha!"

InuYasha turned back then ducked away from the incoming blow from the sharp end of Naraku's knife. Narrowly missing Inuyasha's head, Naraku drove the knife into the boy's left shoulder blade. InuYasha howled in pain and Naraku pulled back, leaving the knife imbedded in his chest.

"I'll get her later half breed, and you won't be able to stop me!" Naraku threw something onto the ground that exploded into a large cloud of black smoke.

InuYasha began coughing as he tried to push through the smoke to find Naraku to rip his throat out. `how dare he threaten Kagome…this bastard, this son of a bitch!' He heard Kagome begin to cough and he panicked. He reached up and pulled the knife out of his chest, letting loose a stream of blood that soaked through his shirt in a matter of seconds. He turned precariously and pushed his way back to Kagome, blinking through the thick smoke that had filled the tiny room in seconds. The fire alarms of the school suddenly roared and the water sprinklers sprang to life, drenching the duo trapped in the smoke. InuYasha fell on his knees to Kagome's side and ripped at the bonds freeing her. "We…we need to get out of here…now!"

Kagome nodded absently and tried to sit up. as she did so, her world spun again and she fell backwards, her eyes glazing over. The smoke and the water overwhelmed her senses as she felt the darkness of her unconscious pulling at her soul again, begging for her return. Losing the battle once more, she passed out in her lover's arms. She was safe…for the time being.

InuYasha gathered the unconscious girl in his arms and forced his body to stand. The blood from his wounds and from the fight began to vibrate through his body but he knew Kagome needed help. He could feel the back of her head was matted with blood and the thought scared him…the thought of losing her gave him the energy needed to push forward. He stumbled through the locker room and through the gym door he had torn off the hinge. He heard kids screaming as they ran through the now soaking wet hallways but his eyes were focused in front of him. Pushing out the doors of the school, he continued down the yard towards the parking lot. He heard gasps and people surrounding him but he kept walking. Today, Naraku had started the battle, and tonight Naraku would die. No one touched his Kagome, no one! He didn't know his eyes had begun to bleed red again until he felt a hand on his unscathed shoulder. Turning, he let loose a growl that shut up every kid outside of the school. He probably would have reinforced the growl with a swing of his claws if Kagome hadn't been in his arms.

Miroku jumped back and gawked at the demon carrying his friend. He heard Sango screaming running through the crowd that had amassed around the two. Miroku took a step towards his friend calling out to him, "InuYasha…what happened?" he had never seen such a look of anger, of absolute ferocity on anyone's face before. In fact, he had never seen someone's eyes blood red before. But there was a first time for everything.

Sango reached their side and gasped at the amount of blood that coated the duo. "Oh my god, InuYasha…Kagome…. are you…is she…"
InuYasha snarled and shoved another person out of the way as he pushed through the crowed. An inhuman voice called out, "Home."

Miroku stiffened at the barked demand then nodded. "Come on…"

The four made their way to the parking lot in a quick run. Sango opened the back door and InuYasha climbed in, settling the unconscious girl in his lap then cradling her against his chest.

Miroku got into the passenger side and Sango got into the drivers side. Miroku cleared his throat and called out as passively as he could, "we should take her to a hospital."

InuYasha growled loudly and barked back, "no! Home!"

Tears welled in Sango's eyes as she floored it out of the school parking lot. It was all she could do to keep calm. Her best friend was in the back seat bleeding to death and there was nothing she could do to help her. "InuYasha…there's so much blood…she needs serious help!"

InuYasha shook his head with another growl, "No!"

Miroku sighed and exchanged a panicked glance with Sango. He licked his lips as Sango headed towards the hospital regardless of Inuyasha's demands. `To hell with him.' "InuYasha…Kagome needs help. She needs serious help. She's bleeding all over, InuYasha…its not good."

InuYasha nuzzled his nose into her forehead then kissed it gently, "wake up…please…"

Sango gasped and stepped on the gas a little harder. "Deal with it, InuYasha. We're taking her to the hospital!"

InuYasha growled then blinked the red away, sorrowful amber took its place, a look of dread enraptured in his eyes. "No…we can't. Naraku…he'll have people waiting. He did this…that…fucker…shit headed mother fucking son of a bitch hurt her! He hurt my Kagome!" he fought the tears that pulled at his eyes and brought his lips down to Kagome's. Kissing her gently, he rubbed his cheek against hers, his words coming out in sobs of pleas. He hadn't cried in a long time…he hadn't cried much in his life, but now…tears streamed his cheeks as he stared at her quiet, blood covered angelic face. "Please, Kagome, open your eyes. Please…god, please Kagome!"

Miroku narrowed his eyes and clenched his fist. "How did he get to her?"

InuYasha shook his head slowly, his voice dropping down to a dull whisper. He wasn't sure how he heard Miroku's voice; he had been so engrossed in staring at Kagome. Without looking up, he quietly answered, "I was a fool…I thought…. God, they poisoned me! They fucking drugged me so I would lose my senses! I thought…I thought I was with her…. God, this is my fault! Kagome…" he felt a tear slide down his cheek as he clenched her against his chest, "I'll kill him for this. I'll kill him dead! I will bring you his head, I swear to god. Please, don't leave me Kagome…"

Sango pulled up in front of the emergency room and ripped her door open, leaving Miroku, InuYasha and Kagome in the car alone. She ran into the main lobby of the hospital and screamed at the top of her lungs, "we need help!"

Three paramedics rushed to her side pulling along a gurney in a matter of a minute. Someone must have paged them. The four ran to the car as InuYasha stepped out carefully with Kagome in his arms. Two medics reached for Kagome and InuYasha pulled back, a growl their only warning. "Don't touch her!"

Miroku reached out and cautiously laid a hand on his shoulder, "InuYasha, its okay…you can trust them. You need to give them Kagome…they can help her."

InuYasha growled again, directly at the head paramedic before walking to the gurney and laying Kagome down gently. He brushed a strand of her raven locks from her face. Only after she left his arms did he look to his shirt. He was drenched in blood. His eyes widened as the paramedics began to scream out commands. He could hardly make out their words besides for shock…hemorrhaging…serious and ICU. Those were all he needed. He let out another deep growl and turned on his heels to stare at Miroku. "Stay here with her! If you even think of leaving her side…" he turned and looked back at the doctors. He pointed one claw at them in a nonverbal but very prominent threat before he pulled his black shirt over his head. The wounds on his chest had stopped bleeding but he was still coated in blood. Ignoring it, he dropped the shirt to the ground then bent his knees. "Both of you stay here…call Sesshoumaru and tell him to meet me at Abyss. We're going hunting." With those words, he sprung off towards the top of the building and vanished into the overcast sky.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*

Sesshoumaru sat in the driver's seat of Kagome's Jag, watching Rin devour a hamburger from Wacdonalds. He shook his head slowly and did his signature eyebrow rise. With a sigh, he commented dully, "I can't believe you eat that garbage."

Rin blinked then shoved the remaining part of the burger into her mouth, making a display of chewing it and then swallowing. After words she gave him a small smile and shrugged, "only live once, right?"

Sesshoumaru shook his head slowly and pulled out from the parking lot and began the trek back to the hut. Rin had kept her promise to the letter…with him not allowing her to go to school, she hadn't granted him any liberties that would have been so easily taken. Needless to say, she succeeded in irritating him. She had made a show of taking a long hot shower, then insisted on walking around the room in a towel. Sesshoumaru had decided at that point to meditate to keep his head on straight…and his hands away from the back end of the towel. Rin had further more tested her limits in the car by keeping her hand on his thigh, making sure let her fingers trace his leg sensually. Now…now she insisted on stopping for ice cream that he could imagine of watching her eat. `This is my punishment for life…it has to be. Rin is going to be my undoing…'

He sighed as he watched her stare out the window, a small sexy smile plastered to her face. She was enjoying every minute of his discomfort. He was above his brother's game that InuYasha played on and off with Kagome. Rin had told him of the `incident' that the two had before Kagome had tried to break up with InuYasha and the thought had cascaded through Sesshoumaru's mind…it would be fair payback. But he did not wish for payback…no…he just wanted to finish what was started.

Rin turned and unbuckled her seatbelt and pulled her knees to the seat. Sitting on her knees, she leaned over and kissed Sesshoumaru's cheek. "Fluffy…I want to go home."

Sesshoumaru raised both eyebrows and glanced out of the side of his eye at her. "Indeed."

Rin nodded enthusiastically and kissed his cheek again, letting her lips linger on his flesh for a moment. "Yeah…I do."

Sesshoumaru darted his eyes to look at her again as a small smile tugged at his mouth. "Then we shall return to that hut under one condition."

Rin laughed and kissed his neck, "don't worry, I'll keep my clothes on this time…" she kissed him again, letting her tongue trace small circles on his neck, "…maybe…"

Sesshoumaru sighed deeply and removed one hand from the steering wheel and placed it on her shoulder. "Sit down Rin, the last thing I need is for you to catapult out the front windshield."

Rin pouted and sucked at his neck near his pulse. "You sure you want me to sit back Sess? There are a ton of fun…" she let one hand trail down his chest, tracing his abs through the cotton black shirt he was wearing before allowing it to settle on his abdomen. "…Road games we can play."

Sesshoumaru inhaled sharply and gripped the wheel tighter with one hand while he placed his other hand on her wandering one. "Rin…this can wait. I don't want to get into a car accident with something that is not mine."

Rin laughed lustfully and let her tongue graze his neck, "then keep your eyes on the road." She pulled her hand away from his and traced over his hips through the jeans he wore. "You sure you don't want to play a road game, Sess?"

Sesshoumaru growled lightly and reiterated, "put your seatbelt back on Rin…"

Rin frowned then pulled her hand back. "You're no fun."

Sesshoumaru looked at her again then back at the road, "just wait till we get back to the hut…we'll see how much you complain then."

Rin crossed her arms and sat back in her seat, pouting like a scolded child. "My rule still applies. No school, no sex. Plain and simple."

Sesshoumaru felt the corners of his mouth turn up as he stepped on the gas a little faster. "Who said anything about sex?"

The way the words left his mouth sent chills up Rin's back. Thinking about his unspoken promise made her body melt. She licked her lips and dropped her feet to the floor. She looked back at him and smiled. "Sessh….?"

Sesshoumaru looked in his rear view mirror and scowled. His voice became a mere detachment from his eyes, "yes?"

Rin narrowed her eyes and twisted around to look out the back window. "What's wrong?"

Sesshoumaru's scowl deepened and he reached across Rin and pulled her seat belt across her chest. "Buckle it, now."

Rin complied and not a second to soon.

A white van, as if appearing from now where, slammed into the right side of their car, sending the Jag into the shoulder, scraping against the guardrail. Sesshoumaru growled as he slammed on the gas, trying to outrun the bastards next to them. They were on the overpass of all places, coming up to the short brief of forest before nearing his father's mansion and were still a good six miles from the hut. He growled again and put one hand on Rin's chest. He pushed her back in the seat and slammed on the breaks; letting the white van next to them sail ahead a few yards before it started to stop. Sesshoumaru slammed back on the gas and pulled back into the highway and moved into the center of the road. As if by magic, or by design, they were the only ones on the road, besides for two cop cars that were gaining on their tales and the white van that had slammed on its breaks. Rin looked behind them then ahead at the white van that was moving to block in their car. The van moved into their lane and Sesshoumaru switched to get around him. The van switched again, slamming into the hood of Kagome's car.

Rin screamed as she heard the front grill shatter and the metal bend in the impact. Sesshoumaru spun the wheel, keeping control of the car and slammed on his breaks. At least they were off the overpass. His eyes scouted towards the woods and the two cop cars behind them. The Jag was leaking gas, he could smell it through the glass. `If they want to do us in…' he looked next to him at Rin and frowned. `No…I won't endanger her.' he slammed on the break and pulled away from the white van, which had become its hood ordainment and slammed back on the gas. He never saw the black van until it was in his driver's side door. The car had appeared from nowhere and had managed to t-bone the jag, crashing it off the highway, through the guardrail and down the embankment. Sesshoumaru could hear Rin screaming as the car flipped twice before slamming into a tree. Rin's scream was the last thing he heard before he blacked out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Sesshoumaru…please…god please wake up…please, they're coming…they have guns!"

Two pops snapped him back into reality from his hazy consciousness and he growled in pain and sheer fury. He let his eyes wander to his side and sighed in precious gratitude. Rin had worked her way out of the seatbelt and was curled up at his side, her eyes wide with terror. He looked over his injuries quickly, taking into account he couldn't really feel his left arm or his right leg. His eyes bled red as he pushed Rin to the floor…or was it the roof…of the car. "Keep your head down Rin." he lashed out his right arm, allowing his claws to slice through the seatbelt that had him confined to the car. He wrapped one arm around her and lay back to use his right leg and kicked out the shattered windshield. He heard three more pops, one grazing by his ear. "Rin, if they hit the gas tank, this car will explode. Let me out first…I'm quicker with reflexes. As soon as I say so, run." He heard her whimper in understanding and he pulled himself from the vehicle. Using his demonic senses more so then sight, he could just about feel three guys with semi-automatics to his right on the embankment, shooting down and one man approaching from the left. He growled loudly and held out two fingers, calling forth his energy whip. He lashed the electric energy above his head with a crackle of power before lashing out at the three men on the hill. He heard the sickening cracking of bone and the dying gasps that left their mouths before turning like lightning to his left and cracking the whip out and cleanly slicing off the approaching gunman's right arm. With two steps, filled with a demonic boost, he was by the man's side. He grabbed the assassin, who was screaming in pain for him missing joint, with his right hand, and held him against an oak tree. "Rin…get out of the car." He turned back and narrowed his eyes, "did Naraku send you?"

The man smiled snidely and garbled out, "you fucking freak, you're as good as dead! No one fucks with the Onigumo's and lives to tell of it! You and that little cunt are gonna…"

Sesshoumaru simply squeezed his hand and snapped the man's neck like a twig. Dropping him to the floor, he sneered, "let that serve as a warning." He heard the crinkling of leaves to his right and he turned and froze. Rin had crawled from the car and was running towards him…behind her, a man stood with a gun aimed at her back. Sesshoumaru could feel his face twist in horror and anger as he threw himself forward. "Get down!" he heard the shot release from the gun and felt his heart shatter as he heard it impact in the base of Rin's spine. He watched her body drop to the ground like dead weight as he fell by her side. His stared at Rin's unconscious form for a mere second before he slowly looked up at the man on the hill. The man was already trying to reload to shoot off another round from what looked like a shotgun. Sesshoumaru's eyes turned red as he lunged at the man on the hill with unruly speed. The man backed up but it did no good. Sesshoumaru brandished a claw and sliced through the man's left shoulder to his right hip before the bastard could blink. Landing a foot behind him, the motion was one swift strike to Sesshoumaru. He pivoted on both heels to look at the mess of blood and torn open flesh in front of him; the assassin had been split into four pieces of torn flesh.

Sesshoumaru's eyes dimmed back to their topaz shade as he ran back to Rin. `god, let her be okay…please god, you can't take her from me…please, not Rin…not like this.' Blood had begun to pool under the girl as he took her in his arms, horror etching his face, as he looked her over. The wound on her back had torn through most of her skin and muscle, exposing the white of her backbone. He turned her over very slowly and looked upon her face. The stench of death had enraptured her as her eyes fluttered open to gaze up at him. She chocked on blood for a moment before whispering, "guess…I wasn't…fast enough…"she blinked once then shut her eyes.

Sesshoumaru growled and held her tighter to him, "Rin…no…hold on, I'll get you help. Just hold on, please…don't leave me Rin." he was moving before he knew he was. `if they take her from me…Naraku will face more then wrath. He will meet the devil tonight! No…this has to be a dream. I cannot lose Rin…not Rin.' Halfway to the hospital, he could feel her body growing cold. "Rin….Rin!" his feet gave out on him as he fell to his knees in a skidding stop. He looked down at her still face and nuzzled cheek with his nose. "Rin…Rin please, open your eyes. Please, just a little further…Rin, please!" tears of blood had stained the demon's cheeks as he stared down at his lover in his arms. Her heart had stopped. He let out a primal growl that shook even the rock beneath his feet. Throwing his head back to the sky, he bellowed into the clouds, "take me…god give her my life and take mine instead! Not Rin, please…she deserves better. Don't let her die like an animal!" He chocked back a sob and was at the hospital in a matter of seconds. Bursting through the doors, shattering the glass on the walls and breaking the metal frames, he screamed into the ER, "get me a doctor, now!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

Sesshoumaru could hear his cell phone ringing but could not move. His muscles had frozen up on him as he stared off into the abyss of nothing. That's what his life was…was going to be…nothing. He clenched his fists tight, drawing blood as the doctor made his way towards the demon. Sesshoumaru stood up, his eyes wide with worry and panged anger. He was livid…he was going to rip Naraku's beating heart out of his chest…and quite possibly every single cop who sided with the bastard as well. The sun would rise red tomorrow morning by time he was done*.

The doctor shifted her weight nervously before addressing the obviously enraged man. "Sir…Rin…" she sighed and put a hand to her forehead, "she lost a lot of blood sir…the bullet's trajectory entered her back and shot through her spinal cord. She was already…"

Sesshoumaru blinked slowly, his anger fading from his face and voice and replaced by an eerie stoic nature. Yet his eyes…those swirling amber vortexes…now burned with a fire that no one would live from. There was no salvation from this fire…it had a purpose, a trajectory…a target. There would be no failure. Naraku was a walking dead man. His voice was monotone so much in fact that the doctor backed up a step with fear etching her face. "Is she alive?" he knew the answer…he could smell the truth…but he needed to hear it. He needed someone to make the final stab at his heart, killing any trace of emotion he had left.

"Sir, I'm sorry…"

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and turned around.

The doctor called back timidly, "who should I notify? Are you in need of medical attention?"

Sesshoumaru walked away calling over his shoulder, "I'll be back for her. She's all I have left…nothing can cure my pain except for blood." he walked out the doors he destroyed and flipped open his phone with a calmness that he was shocked he could manage. His heart was racing, he felt dizy, hot, cold, angry, horrified, empty, alone…everything that Rin had cured in him, everything he had feared one day feeling again had reared itself in a matter of a half hour. In a matter of a half hour, his life was over. Dialing Miroku's number, a number that had called him over seventy eight times, he waited for the human to pick up.

"Sesshoumaru, thank the gods, we've…"

Sesshoumaru blinked as he strode out of the parking lot, "Rin's dead. Tell InuYasha Naraku's mine. I'm going to Abyss. Its time to hunt."

 

~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~~*~**~*~*~*

 

(Hides from rocks being thrown) as I have said, I'm all about happy endings…just got to make it through the rain. So…if Sesshoumaru has Tokijyn, does that mean he also has Tensaiga? Does he know if he has those swords…or for that matter, does he know what they can do?