InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Difference in opinion ( Chapter 62 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the dragon ~<>~
 
~<>~ Chapter 62 ~<>~ differences in opinion
 
 
 
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~
 
 
“No.”
 
Rin blinked and stared up at her lover through a dark array of black eyelashes and batted the tools of Satan seductively. “But…”
 
“No.”
 
Rin licked her lips rather slowly before sauntering the extra step towards Sesshoumaru. Placing her right hand between the firm muscles on his chest, she pressed herself closer and bent her head back to look up at him. `This just is so not fair! Reduced to begging…just wait, Sesshoumaru, I'll get you back!' she licked her lips even slower, and gave him the sexiest grin she could muster. “Sessh…”
 
Sesshoumaru cocked an eyebrow and stared down, tucking his chin into his neck, to glare at Rin. He very slowly responded, “Fuck no.”
 
Rin huffed and shoved at Sesshoumaru's chest with the hand that had a moment ago been so intent on seducing the demon. “And just why not?”
 
Sesshoumaru backed up the step, rising his head to give Rin a cold stare, “why do you think? He's a pervert who can't be held on a leash twenty four seven. He's worse then a dog in heat! What in the seven layers of hell makes you think I'll allow you within ten feet of him let alone make out with him?”
 
A rather dull and defeated voice called out from their left, “I resent that remark!”
 
Sesshoumaru snapped his head to his left and hissed, “No, you resemble that remark!”
 
Rin slapped her hand over her mouth to keep from giggling. The whole situation was precarious enough without any wise cracks from Miroku; to tread heavily on any piece of this could bring disaster. `Just wait till InuYasha gets involved…then this really will go straight to hell!' Rin swallowed once and sniffed, “it's something I want to do, Sessh. Come on, what harm can come of it?”
 
Sesshoumaru, who was still glowering at Miroku, regarded Rin out of the corner of his eye, “you really did not just ask me that, correct?”
 
Sango popped a bubble she had been blowing with her gum and shifted nervously, “well…it isn't like he's going to knock her up! Sesshoumaru…it's a play; you know, make-believe!”
 
Sesshoumaru shifted his gaze off the offending hentai to settle on Sango. He eyed her over for a moment and arched his eyebrow, “you who knows the pervert best dares to side with them? Sango, I thought higher of you then that. As per your make-believe scenario, if he were to keep twenty feet from Rin at all times, I would consider it!”
 
Rin rolled her eyes and pushed past Sesshoumaru abruptly. She walked over and wedged herself between Miroku's knees that were slightly spread from his seated position on the radiator. She turned and held out her hands towards Sesshoumaru in a exaggerated shrug, ignoring the yelp from Miroku and his attempts to escape before death found itself at his doorway via Sesshoumaru. “See…not harming, not touching, no intimate contact!”
 
Sesshoumaru growled protectively and wrapped one hand swiftly around her wrist and pulled Rin from Miroku as if lechery were contagious. “And you are not kissing him at the moment either! The answer is no!”
 
Miroku rolled his eyes and held a hand towards Sango without breaking the glower transferring between him and Sesshoumaru. “Maybe you haven't been introduced. Sesshoumaru, this is the love of my life Sango. She is the girl who would rip my balls off if I even thought about touching another girl; she is the girl who would put me in the ground if I went near another girl. She is okay with this…why aren't you?”
 
Sesshoumaru stared at Miroku incredulously. “I will not allow you to put any part of your body near my Rin…let alone your lips!”
 
Rin turned and socked Sesshoumaru in the shoulder once. “Will you get over yourself Sessh? It's only two scenes from the whole play that I would have to…do that.” she rolled her eyes and grimaced. This was not how it was supposed to be. She wanted to role of Frenchy. It should have been cake for her to get that secured place. Hell, she could have been anyone but Kenchi thought since she had such a great voice that she needed a staring role. Now…now everything was screwed up. She was Rizzo due to Sango's strange unrequited absence during auditions and Miroku, who had simply signed up to appease Sango, was Kenickie. The moment they had seen the postings hell ensued. Apparently Sesshoumaru was more aware of his Broadway plays then Rin had first assumed and had nearly taken Miroku's head off at the mere thought. His attitude had only plummeted when looking at the rest of the class. Miroku's understudy was another infamous hanyou letch who was a senior and went by the name Gojyo*.
 
Sesshoumaru knew with Miroku he could at least keep a threatening presence, he also knew that if he forced Miroku from the part, he and Gojyo would be fighting out in the parking lot in a matter of an hour. His other option lay in keeping Rin from the part…but could he? He wrapped his arms around Rin's waist and pulled her back to the chair and into his lap. “No.”
 
Rin bit her bottom lip and crossed her arms angrily. “I didn't want to play this card Sesshoumaru, but Dr. Yamaoto said for me to keep active in school activities, and I think this counts as one!”
 
Sango nodded and shrugged, “look, Sesshoumaru; if Miroku steps one foot out of line, not only does he have to face me but also you! I think that's enough to scare anyone straight!”
 
A voice chuckled behind the four, taking on a rather condescending tone, “Sesshiles is all fluff once you get to know him, aren't you Fluffy? Who's a good boy? Who's a…”
 
Sesshoumaru could swear the entire room took on a red tint as he moved Rin off his lap and had Hiten in a death grip poised three feet in the air off the back wall. He tightened his hand on the boy's throat as he growled, “do you want me to kill you?”
 
Hiten's red eyes sparkled with sadistic delight as he feigned a frightful tone, “oh no, Sesshiles! Bad boy…bad dog…put me…”
 
Sesshoumaru snarled as he dropped the boy to the floor and kicked him once in the ribs. His nostrils flared as he stalked back towards the three who were staring with gaping mouths. Numerous obstinacies passed under the demon's breath as he all but threw himself back into the chair and roughly dragged Rin back to his lap.
 
Bankotsu, who was resting with his head on a table a few feet away, managed to cough out a dry chuckle, “you know he's already seeing rainbows…why do you have to increase the misfortune of that poor kid? He's trippin' Sesshiles…just let him talk out of his ass until he's done from his high.”
 
Sesshoumaru pinned the human with a dark glower that had promises of death just below the surface. “I care not what state of mind you junkies remain in. If you insist on talking trash, be prepared for me to destroy you!”
 
Rin rolled her eyes and loudly proclaimed, “just ignore them, Sessh.”
 
Bankotsu lifted his head slightly off the table, cringed then dropped it back down and barked back, “you sound like InuYasha's wench! Damnit, bitch…we aren't make believe voices that you hear! We don't just go away at your will!”
 
Sango narrowed her eyes, “I'd really watch that mouth of yours asshole, cause if you keep it up, Sesshoumaru will kill you!”
 
Bankotsu rolled his eyes, “I'm shaking in my boots. I think I'd be more afraid of what InuYasha's reaction is going to be to his bitch being teamed up with the pretty boy over there!”
 
Five sets of eyes trained onto the group of boys on the other side of the stage. A group sigh echoed the building as attention was turned back to the matter at hand. Rin held up her hands and gently said, “I am not being the one to tell them! I won't do it!”
 
Sango blew out a loud gush of air and laughed wryly, “I ain't doing it either! No way…just…no. InuYasha is going to have kittens when he finds out! Talk about never seeing Kagome again; he'll lock her up in a tower somewhere until graduate!”
 
Miroku nodded, feeling slightly relieved for the first time in those forty minutes that the death glare from the Youkai was off of him. “I do tend to agree with Rin. InuYasha is going to kill Kouga over this one!”
 
Rin grimaced and stole another glance at the wolf demon. She couldn't remember a time that he looked so happy as he did now. <I>'“Did you not say that Kouga wanted Kagome?”</I> Rin flinched at the memory of Dr. Yamaoto's words. She had spent the good latter part of the pervious day crying and screaming about the evil doctor. It had taken Sesshoumaru nearly four hours to clam her down and another two to get her to take her meds. `But she was right, wasn't she? I mean, look at Kouga…he has always wanted Kagome! He would always want her around when we hung out…he would ask about her before asking about me. I mean, why wouldn't he be ecstatic to play her boyfriend in the play? He wants her and this way, he'll get her.' Rin sighed heavily and ran a hand over her eyes. “Look…let's worry about one thing at a time. I'm going to do this play,” she shot Sesshoumaru a glower that dared him to question her. “And if it makes you feel better, then sit in on the practices. But damnit, I'm going to be Rizzo and their ain't shit you can do about it!” she cringed at the look that passed over Sesshoumaru's face.
 
Sesshoumaru looked down at the girl in his arms, his eyes widening to a near alarming state. “You did not just tell me I had no say, correct?”
 
Bankotsu scoffed once again adding an interlude of, “what, you got wax between those things you call ears Sesshiles? Take the dick out of them and listen up! She said she ain't taking your shit…you go…”
 
The math book that miraculously sprouted wings and liberated itself from Sesshoumaru's backpack hit Bankotsu dead on between the eyes. The boy's head slammed back down into the table as he passed out.
 
Rin stared for a moment from the unconscious boy to stare up at Sesshoumaru whose eyes had nearly disappeared under his bangs. He was pissed. She could feel his breath coming in laboured pants as he tried to control the raging temper she knew that was coursing through his blood. She licked her lips and swung one leg off of his lap to straddle the demon's legs. She lifted herself up and pressed her lips timidly against his. “I love you.”
 
Sesshoumaru sighed deeply before kissing the girl back. He sighed again and rolled his eyes. His eyes narrowed as he shot Miroku a direct glare with promises of imminent death if he dared to defy the set rules. “You are not to touch her unless it is absolutely necessary. You are not to grope, harass or do any of your…former…tricks to cop a feel at any point, or I will kill you.”
 
Miroku widened his eyes and threw up his hands. “I give up! Honestly I do! If I told you I was gay, you would probably still think I would hit on Rin, wouldn't you?”
 
Sango smacked his shoulder and pinned him with a defined stare. “Don't be an ass.”
 
Miroku shot Sango a helpless look. “I haven't touched an ass in nearly a month, besides for yours, that is!” that earned him another smack across the cheek. Miroku turned with the blow and slumped his shoulders. “Fine…I give up. Sesshoumaru, you can be Kenickie. How do you like them apples? You go on stage, make out with Rin and sing while doing it!”
 
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes. “This Sesshoumaru does not sing!”
 
Rin rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Look…this isn't getting us anywhere. Here's what I know; I am Rizzo…I will not switch to be Frenchy cause that would put Aayme in my place we know how that would turn out. Miroku is Kenickie because if he isn't then Sha Gojyo is and I'm just not touching that subject with a ten foot pole!”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes darkened at the mention of the hanyou's name. “The hell you will…”
 
Rin rolled her eyes and shook her head, “that's what I said. Anyway! I am going to be Rizzo, Miroku is going to be Kenickie and the world will be a good place.” She flashed Sesshoumaru a brilliant smile, “questions?”
 
Sesshoumaru met the girl's quirky gaze and sighed in defeat. He was starting to understand just why InuYasha smoked. The clock ticked seconds away as he lost himself in the droning of the class discussion. He would be damned if he ever gave Rin permission to be in the play but he wouldn't inhibit her access to it either. He would idly stand by for the first sign that it was too much for her and would take her home from that point. He didn't want to play the role of the bad guy…he really didn't…but being in situations that the play would put her in…was she really ready to handle it? Would interacting with more people in a group setting help her in her recovery? Sesshoumaru could only pray so. She had been so angry with the doctor the previous afternoon Sesshoumaru had been ready to go back to the office and demand answers. Rin wouldn't say a word, she simply sobbed. Whatever Yamaoto had said to the girl, Rin had taken it to heart and it broke her. Sesshoumaru had made a mess of the basement only after Rin had cried herself to sleep. He had put his hand through the wall countless times, flipped over most of the furniture and had thrown two two hundred pound weights across the room like they were pillows. Ryen arrived before Sesshoumaru moved onto the kitchen, hell bent on destroying everything in his path. It had taken all of Ryen's energy to control the fuming Youkai and the crowd control method he had used rendered Sesshoumaru unconscious. He woke up in his bed, next to Rin with a splitting headache. He had journeyed to the basement while Rin showered for school to survey the damage only to find the room spotless and an exhausted Inu Youkai out cold on the couch.
 
Rin glanced up at Sesshoumaru and sighed. He wasn't happy, she knew that by the waves of tension that was rolling off of him. She had noticed his odd behavior in the morning and had meant to question him over the bruises on his knuckles. Yet the looks he gave her when she pointed to his hands on the drive to school had sent chills down her back. He had looked so sad…so pained. `I guess I caused that. He's upset because of how I reacted to Yamaoto. Was I out of line? Was it that I just didn't want to hear it?' Rin grimaced and crossed her arms over her chest. `She sees everything from an outside perspective. I can understand how she would question the others ignorance towards my situation…I can understand that completely. But Kagome and Sango…no, they had no idea. I don't care what Yamaoto says. They are my best friends and they would never have stood by and watched it happen. I know that. They had no idea!' she swallowed hard as her gaze met the royal blue eyes of her ex boyfriend. `But…did he know? Could he have known? She…she is right, I suppose. Demon senses are right on key, and he even use to question the scents on me when I would hang out with the football players during halftime while cheering. How…how didn't he know?' Rin swallowed hard as her gaze became spiked by malice. `If he knew…if he knew and never did anything… why I'd…' She felt her hand curl into a ball as she forced herself to look away. She hated the inner turmoil that she was feeling, but she knew it was something that needed to be questioned. If Kouga knew, then he could be in alliance with Naraku, and that put all of them in danger.
 
A much more rational part of her brain interrupted her brooding and plotting with a rather light, `he could have been telling you the truth you know. He knew you worked for the bastard. Why would it be odd for you to smell like him? To Kouga, you were always in his presence. And face it girl, you never let Kouga down your pants so how would he smell Naraku in places Naraku shouldn't have been?'
 
Rin frowned and shook her head slowly, `damn…this complicates things.' She spared a glance at Sesshoumaru, who was studying her expression like a med student would a corpse. She swallowed hard and looked away from the demanding golden stare. `Sesshoumaru knew the first time he set eyes on me in the school. When he cornered me in the hallway, he smelt Naraku on me. He knew that the son of a bitch had…he asked if I wanted his help. How did he know, someone who had just met me, in opposition to those who knew me? I don't understand!'
 
`And if you keep trying to figure this out, you'll give yourself an aneurysm. What you know is that Sesshoumaru loves you and is willing to die for you. He is always going to be there for you so don't worry about it! What's done is done!'
 
Sometimes it was harder to meet Sesshoumaru's questioning gaze when she knew what would ensue. He would force her to speak about it and then tell her she was being facetious with a condescending kiss to the forehead. Or Sesshoumaru would take to the other extreme and make a fool of himself by forcing answers out of Kouga. Either way, this wasn't going to be a pretty couple of months. `Yay. Now onto the after party special where InuYasha gets to blow up.' If Sesshoumaru's reaction could be called subtle, InuYasha's would be no less then a nuclear meltdown, she was sure of it. Rin wasn't sure if she wanted to be in the same city when he found out. A part of her had hoped the hanyou would get off of his high horse and try out as well. Deep down she had a feeling Bankotsu was right and InuYasha could sing but he had made no attempt to prove anyone wrong and had simply disappeared. Rin sighed, `I wonder how that went. I should call Kagome. If not only to see how she's feeling but to get the low down.' Rin made a mental note to pick up her cell after class was through. With a sigh, she nestled her head into Sesshoumaru's chest. It was going to be a long day, she could just feel it.
 
~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~~**~*~*~*~**~*~
 
Kagome made a grab for the black piece of metal in InuYasha's right hand that was extended just out of her reach over the both of their heads. With one swipe, then another, she growled and latched onto his arm with her free hand. He yelped then laughed loudly as she tried to bend his arm to her will so she could get the remote. Kagome growled again and tried to sit up. The other offending arm that was wrapped loosely around her waist tightened instantly and held her in placed as he dangled the remote like a trophy in front of her face. Kagome made a swipe with her left then immediately followed with her right before groaning, “Yash, stop being a jerk and change the station!” she felt her cheeks redden as the moans from the television rose in volume. The shirtless hanyou who she had been using as a body pillow up until his `discovery' merely smirked at her.
 
InuYasha grinned like a kid in a candy shop as he watched Kagome's near horrified reaction towards his discovery. “You know, you just got to appreciate flexibility. Do you think you could ever get your legs over my head like that, Kagome?” He winked once at the girl then waggled his eyebrows at her. He pawed at her tank top and gave her a rather phony growl.
 
Kagome slapped her face with her hand and mumbled from behind her fingers, “Souta is going to be home and I really don't want him walking in to find us watching porn!”
 
InuYasha shrugged and held the remote behind his head, “you know Souta has to know about this! It at least explains why the brat is up at two AM.”
 
Kagome digested the news and her eyes widened in disgust. “Do you mind not giving me those images? Come on, Yash, change the channel!”
 
A rather hentai grin was her response. “Then your mother shouldn't own a cable scrambler. I mean, really Kagome…how does your mother miss the fact that you have porn on your television? Unless…” the gold eyes of the hanyou widened and he made a face, “then that's just wrong on so many levels!”
 
Kagome groaned and shook her head, covering her ears. “I can't hear you and I really can't hear that!”
 
InuYasha laughed then brought his mouth to her ear and mimicked a rather high-pitched moan from the actress on the TV. He laughed then dropped his tone an octave to whisper rather huskily in her ear, “we really should try that. I think what you asked for yesterday should carry over till today. What was the phrase…oh yes, `fuck me' I do believe can recall you saying. I didn't get the chance. What do you say, Princess? Feel like getting fucked now?” The look on her face was priceless. She jerked in his arms and nearly fell off the living room couch. InuYasha wobbled slightly then yelped when Kagome thrust her weight towards the floor pulling the two off the couch. As she expected, InuYasha caught his weight right above her on his two hands, abandoning the remote somewhere on the couch. InuYasha's eyes widened as the cocky trademark smirk made its way to his handsome face. “I was only kidding but hell…if you want me so bad, all you need to do is say so!”
 
Kagome gave him a pleasant smile and then brought her hands to his chest. She swallowed hard then thrust him backwards. He rolled to the left and growled playfully when she reached up towards the couch for the remote. She couldn't see it but she could feel it and she almost had it.
 
InuYasha lunged forward and tackled Kagome around her waist, pinning her to the floor. “No you don't princess!” he laughed as she rolled over and tried to turn around to get her legs out from under him. The two turned in tight circles on the floor, Kagome trying to escape from the hanyou's overbearing presence and get to the remote. Laughs came in sobs as she reached out and grabbed his arm. Trying to hold him still, she burst into a fit of giggles as she pulled herself halfway from his grasp. She reached with her free right hand again towards the couch only to have InuYasha lace his right arm under her armpit and pin the limb to the floor. His cocky voice broke through the laughs, “careful, Princess, don't need you hurting yourself. You sure you want to wrestle with me, little girl?”
 
Kagome bristled at the goading and snapped her head to her right to playfully bite down on InuYasha's bicep. The hanyou yelped and she bucked her ass against his hips trying to throw him off her back. She jutted her left arm out in a vain attempt to reach the remote. Again InuYasha tackled her free limb and settled his weight to the center of her back, resting his hips against hers. “God InuYasha, get off me! You weigh to much!”
 
InuYasha grinned maliciously and began an onslaught of tickling the pinned girl's sides. “Oi, wench, I'll get you for that one! Calling me a fat ass…I see how it is!” he laughed as she began to sob in a fit of laughter. “Say uncle and I'll get off!”
 
Kagome felt tears sliding down her face as she tried again to squirm from his grasp. “Never!” she laughed when he huffed and then began twisting side-to-side, trying to avoid his hands. She used the freedom he had left to her and tried to claw her way out from under his grasp. Reaching back, she grabbed one of his hands and pulled him down from where he had sat himself on her ass. He caught himself right above her and braced her hands to the floor. Leaning down to one ear, he paused from the laughter and whispered, “What now, Princess, you're stuck! Just give in and I'll go easy on you,” he poked her in her ribs with two fingers to emphasize his point. She giggled and twisted to one side and InuYasha felt his lips rise in a triumphant smirk, “ …unless you want it rough…”
 
The front door opened and the two teens eyes widened as they turned to stare like deer caught in a headlight at the figure in the doorway. There was a stern cough and silver hair marked the retreat of the demon that had just entered leaving the house in a near second. InuYasha and Kagome jumped apart as if they had just realized exactly how compromising their position had been and while Kagome fumbled with remote, InuYasha ran to the front door, determined to catch his uncle and have a few words with the demon. Slamming open the door, the shirtless hanyou near mowed down the said demon that was blocking Ms. Higurashi from entering the house. “Yo, you make it a point to walk in on people…” His eyes widened, as did Kagome's mothers, as they took in each other's appearance. Ryen rolled his eyes and took the bag of groceries from the woman and side stepped the hanyou to enter the house. He spared Kagome a side wards glance and shook his head taking a short whiff of the air of the house. `Probably the first time in the hanyou's life that he's innocent and yet that television was blasting so loud, I'm surprised neighbors weren't complaining…or having cigarettes. Sex that sounds that good should be illegal. This should be fun.' He rolled his eyes as the fireworks started in the living room.
 
“Just what the hell did we talk about yesterday? Honestly, do you two even listen when I speak to you? I asked you to respect one request but you can't even…”
 
“Mama, no! It wasn't like that! We were…well…”
 
“We were fucking around…wait, I don't mean literally…damnit! Ryen, get your ass in here!”
 
“Kagome, I could hear you two coming up to the house! You really don't expect me to believe…”
 
“No, mama! It was the television!”
 
“Yo, fat ass, get in here!”
 
“The television? The television! So not only were you two engaging in sex in my living room but also watching porn at the same time? Kagome…”
 
Ryen sighed and laughed wryly as he took an apple out of the basket of fruit and strut back into the hellfire. He watched the three's screaming match…one that InuYasha was trying desperately to drag him into. Kauai was ticked and that was not something Ryen was about the mess with. He took a bite of the fruit and gave InuYasha a shit-eating grin. “All yours champ…”
“…and I was gone for three hours! Is this what you two do when I turn my back?”
 
“Yeah, Ms. H…you know us Youkai, insatiable to the last second!”
 
“InuYasha, your sarcasm isn't helping! I told you to turn it off but no, you had to wrestle me for it…”
 
“Wrestle?! Kagome Higurashi, what were you doing wrestling! You're sick young lady! And you…” a finger prodded the fuming hanyou's chest, “you were supposed to make sure she was okay, not taking advantage of her and watching porn on my television!”
 
“Mama…we weren't watching…”
 
“…the fucking porn was just there. Talk to your teenage son about that shit! Oi, old man…please inform Ms. H. that I was not down her daughters pants this time!”
 
Ryen shrugged and took another bite of the apple, “tell her yourself!”
 
InuYasha growled and shot Ms. Higurashi a glower. She was currently pinching the bridge of her nose with a very dark scowl that was directed at everyone in that room. InuYasha growled again and pointed a finger towards the demon, “he knows we weren't…doing that…again!”
 
Ryen chewed the piece of the apple he had ripped off in his mouth slowly, leaning against the doorframe to overlook the situation. He suddenly found all eyes had turned towards him and he scoffed. “Aw, hell…no, Kauai, InuYasha actually had it in his pants this time.” adding in a rather low mutter, he chimed, “it's a miracle.” He coughed once, trying to control the bubble of laughter that was building in his throat. “As for the television, yes there was porn on it and yes, I think you should talk to Souta about that!”
 
Kauai closed her eyes and counted backwards from ten before regarding her daughter. “Kagome…what were InuYasha referring to then when he asked if Ryen made it a practice to walk in on?”
 
InuYasha dropped backwards onto the couch over the armrest and laid back, “I was referring to the fact that the old man just seems to show up places. He just strides in like he fucking owns the place.”
 
Ryen growled a short warning to the hanyou and tossed the rest of his apple into the trash. “I was opening the door for her. You know, chivalry ain't dead InuYasha, at least for some of us.”
 
Kagome coughed once, hiding the smile that broke upon her lips under her fist. `Great, here we go…'
 
InuYasha shot the girl a pointed glare before lifting his head to look over the backrest of the couch, “I don't think I like what you're implying!”
 
Ryen walked across the room to stand by the front door right behind Kauai. Resting his hands on her shoulders, he glowered at the hanyou. “What I mean, InuYasha, is that you should treat your girl out sometime, not keep her inside so you can have your way with her when you want to.” he cocked an eyebrow at the boy's slightly flustered face and gave him a smirk, “cause the outside world is interesting, regardless of the popular opinion.”
 
Kagome swallowed hard and tried to avoid looking to her mother for that moment, knowing her face had to be as red as a lobster. She licked her lips and spared a quick glance at InuYasha, who was finding the ceiling to be nearly as interesting as a Peter Max painting. She waded wearily through the instilled silence that hung in the room suffocating the group then stretched once. “Well…with that said, I think I'm going to go sleep…forever…”
 
InuYasha nearly yelled when Kagome stalked quickly past the two frowning adults and took to the steps quickly. The two grownups nodded once at each other and Mrs. Higurashi turned towards the steps. InuYasha choked back his growl and took a few steps towards the stairs only to be nearly clotheslined by the Inu Youkai. InuYasha did snarl at the demon blocking his path as he cracked his neck to one side, “out of my way Ryen.”
 
Ryen crinkled up his nose and gestured towards the door with his chin, “outside, pup.”
 
InuYasha opened his mouth to snap back a snazzy retort but shut it at the look of death in Ryen's eyes. Rolling his eyes, InuYasha turned and stomped off like a child in the midst of a temper tantrum. He nearly pulled the door off the hinge as he threw himself outside. With a deep huff, he dropped to sit on the steps leading up to the house. “What now, oh so great one? Another lecture perhaps? Or are we going to shoot the shit for a while. Let me know ahead of time so I'm not on the spot, oh so great uncle of mine.”
 
Ryen stared down at the kid then pulled off his leather bomber jacket. Draping the coat over the banister he reached into the back pocket of his cargo jeans and pulled out a pack of Newports and bit down on the end of one cigarette. He pulled it from the carton with his teeth and rotated it to sit at the back right corner of his mouth, “we have a bit of a problem here, kid.” He held the carton out to a vigilant InuYasha who very slowly removed a cigarette as if it was going to blow up in his face if he moved the wrong way. The older demon pulled a lighter out of mid air, it seemed, and lit up the smoke. He held the light down to InuYasha who raised his eyebrows and followed in suit. Ryen took a long drag then without removing the cigarette, let loose a small stream of smoke from the left corner of his mouth. He threw his hands behind his head and dug them into his silver mane, resting his back against the wall of the house.
 
InuYasha withdrew the cigarette to exhale before holding the cigarette out to look at the demon, his eyes darkening with the insinuation. “And what problem would that be, besides you buying cigarettes for minors?”
 
Ryen regarded InuYasha out of the corner of his eye before tapping the cigarette to rid it of its ashes. “No, son…the problem of your lack of control around women. Tell me, Yash…it's all dandy and good that you plan on marrying Kagome. Trust me, that's peachy; my issue though…pup…is that you really seem intent on christening every piece of furniture they own.”
 
InuYasha growled and turned his head to glower up at the demon; “you know damn well I wasn't doing anything wrong this time!”
 
Ryen cocked the boy an eyebrow before snorting, “honestly InuYasha…porn? Talk about a cheap date. And let's talk about dates. Have you ever taken that poor girl out even once on a real date? And when I say real date I mean just the two of you going somewhere without the intention of getting you're…”
 
InuYasha stared at Ryen and cut him off before he finished the sentence, “yes…” he hesitated then rolled his eyes, “well…not really…but that isn't what our relationship is about! It's not like that!” he flushed slightly, whether from anger or humiliation, and looked down, “and we don't always go off just to…you know…do that! I don't see Kagome in the light that you must think I see her in. I love her, Ryen.”
 
Ryen stared at the kid then dropped down onto the step next to him, “what do you know about courting a lady?”
 
InuYasha turned his head slowly to stare at Ryen with narrowed eyebrows then scoffed, “well…being that I wasn't alive in the fifteenth century when they called it that…”
 
Ryen chuckled and shook his head, “that much, huh? Wow…that's rich. Never though the son of Inu no Taisho would be a fool around the ladies. Your father, InuYasha, was quite handy with the ladies. He was pleasant, charming, and rather chivalrous.”
 
InuYasha grew rather sullen and turned to look out towards the setting sun, “wouldn't know much about that, now would I?”
 
Ryen raised one eyebrow and shrugged, “guess not…it won't stop me from telling you though. You got to realize there is something missing between you and Kagome…”
 
InuYasha clicked his teeth and smote his cigarette on the ground. “You know what Ryen?”
 
Ryen flicked away the butt of his cigarette and nodded, “what is that, nephew?”
 
InuYasha smirked and looked at Ryen with a light in his eyes a part of him swore would never shine again. “I don't give a rats ass about what you think about me and Kagome. Get off my dick about it! I love her…she loves me, and I'm going to marry her when she's ready, and we're ready!”
 
Ryen contemplated the thought for a moment before shrugging, “I'm just saying…no, suggesting…that if you really want it to work, take her out. A girl needs to feel like one, not like a sex toy. And to be blunt, that's what you treat her like.”
 
InuYasha nearly slammed his hand into the cement. Instead, he stood up slowly and brushed his pants off. “Are we done here?”
 
Ryen shifted uncomfortably and sighed, “I guess we are.”
 
InuYasha made a face and turned his back to the demon; “I ain't takin' her out when she's sick. And not that I have to answer to you or nothing, but I know I fucked some things up. But it's Kagome's relationship, and mine and I'm really getting sick of telling people to butt out. Don't make me say that again or I swear you'll see just how much like my father I really am.” his voice lowered as he paused at the demons side. “I heard he used to be able to wipe the floor with you. I wish I could have seen it.”
 
Ryen's jaw dropped as he watched the hanyou disappear into the house. After a long moment he was able to shut it and scoffed, “damn…he's more like me then I ever gave him credit for. Maybe for him this will work out.” He threw his head back and smiled up into the orange sky. Maybe things would all work out in the end.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~
 
 
“Kagome.”
 
“I don't want to hear it mama.”
 
“Kagome, I have to say this. I do not like how this is being handled. I tell you one thing and you do another! I ask simple favors and you disregard them with little to no hesitation.”
 
Kagome stared up at her mother from where she had sat herself on her bed by her window. “Mama…we really weren't doing anything.”
 
Kagome's mother sighed and sat down next to her daughter. “Kagome…porn? Come on dear; what happened to that brilliant beautiful levelheaded girl I knew a month ago? You have to understand I like InuYasha, he has been strong influence for you. But Kagome, your grades are slipping, you don't focus on important things such as school…and you really have turned away from everything I have taught you. I would never have found you watching porn…”
 
Kagome threw her hands up into the air and grabbed her down pillow. Burying her head in it, she screamed loud once. Only after the burning desire to thwap her mother subsided did she turn her attention towards the older woman, “mama, we weren't watching it. InuYasha thought it was funny I was repulsed by it and was taunting me with it. We didn't intend to…no…we didn't…no!”
 
Kagome's mother seemed slightly relieved but still persisted. “Kagome. That ring…I know what that means to you and InuYasha. I know what it meant to Ryen and Inuno as an heirloom of their parents legacy. It's the symbol of a deep commitment, one that isn't made lightly. I feel…and forgive me; but I feel like you are rushing into this.”
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly, her eyes telling a different story though. She was furious and her eyes held the fire that was busting at her seams. She obviously took a moment to compose herself before calmly stating in a dead serious manner, “Mama…I'm sorry you feel that way. Yes, this is quick for me. No, I've never really had another serious commitment to anyone. I can see where you are getting your ideas from and honestly, I can completely relate. But mama, you are refusing to see anything I am seeing. You refuse to admit that maybe we do make a good couple and that maybe, just maybe, we can make it work. And guess what, we will make it work because I believe in him, just as he does me. So mama, before you lecture me about us, take a moment to digest that. And in the mean time, please leave my room and tell InuYasha I want to see him.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi licked her lips and shook her head slowly, “Kagome, you're young and in love. I did some careless things when I was in your position and I regretted then for a long time. I don't want to…”
 
Kagome bit back, interrupting the monologue of the woman's horrific past, “get over it mom…that was almost two decades ago. I'm not you and InuYasha isn't Ryen. We can work if you get off our Asses about it. If anyone is going to destroy us, it is going to be you.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi dropped her jaw in pure shock. After a moment the woman composed herself and turned blazing eyes on the young girl, “you don't understand Kagome. You have your head in the clouds. I said the same things to my parents about me and Ryen but guess what; they were right. They were right and I was wrong. Ryen did leave me, he destroyed me and my chance at going to college. I allowed him to. and that is…”
 
Kagome sneered, “just because you got burnt doesn't mean InuYasha will do the same thing. Yeah, Ryen fucked up. He's here now though, isn't he? Don't you understand he didn't mean to hurt you? He's apologized…”
 
Mrs. Higurashi narrowed her eyes, “you don't know what…”
 
Kagome interrupted the woman once again, “yeah, what you went through? I get it. You were hurt. Guess what, InuYasha hurt me as well…maybe not as great as Ryen did you, but I love him and I know what he did was for the best for him and I love him more for it. So go ahead and judge mother, but don't preach to me. I don't want to hear it.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi looked as if she was ready to interrupt when a voice shot out from her door, “I'm done. Kagome, I'm going home…if you want to come back to my place…”
 
Kagome looked past her mother to see InuYasha resting against her doorframe. He was scowling and the obvious upset on his face was enough to tell her Ryen was playing the same game downstairs with him. `Will anyone ever leave us alone and let us be happy? Honestly? It's the same thing every day!' she swallowed once then stood up. “Let me get my stuff.”
 
Ms. Higurashi stood as well and held out a hand, “now wait a minute you two. Both of you have school tomorrow…”
 
Kagome shrugged as she shoved a pair of jeans into her book bag. “I'll have Rin drive me in.”
 
Ms. Higurashi threw an aggravated glower at the hanyou before approaching her daughter. “Kagome…you know what I said about this. Not during the week when you have school. No. I will not allow it.”
 
Kagome breezed by her mother and laced her hand in InuYasha's. “There are a lot of things you've said mother, that you won't allow. So much in fact that I'm starting to lose track. I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
Ms. Higurashi stepped in the teen's path of departure. “Now wait a damn minute…”
 
A hand clamped down on Kauai's shoulder and she turned to find a rather solemn pair of gold eyes staring at the scene in front of them. She paused and shot Ryen a look of confusion. Ryen sighed softly then looked at the two. “If you both aren't at school tomorrow…”
 
“Ryen…” Ms. Higurashi's voice was strained at best. If looks could incinerate, Kagome was sure that her mother would have set Ryen ablaze.
 
Ryen continued regardless of the warning. “…I'll make sure that you both never see each other again. Now go wherever you're going and you young lady, go to bed. You need to get better. Inu…take care of her and I mean that.”
 
InuYasha rolled his eyes, “of course I'll fucking take care of her. What do you take me for?”
 
Ryen didn't bat an eye, “a baka, of course.”
 
InuYasha sneered and fought down the urge to flip the demon off. Before allowing either party to change their mind, InuYasha led Kagome from the scene by her hand, praying to get halfway out of the house incase her mother would try to thwart the attempt again. Nearing the steps, the two paused and took a quick glance at each other.
 
Kagome pulled her hand from his to cough once then frown, “I hate this…”
 
InuYasha dumbly nodded. “I understand they think they know what's best…but they don't…and I'm sick of hearing their hypocritical bullshit.”
 
Kagome nodded slowly, “I agree.” With a distinct frown, she paused from speaking and looked over her shoulder, “do you think…”
 
InuYasha, as if reading her mind, put his arm under her shoulders and took her bag from her while helping her down the steps. “She'll be fine. Ryen probably is going to have a long talk with her. They need to get whatever it is off their chests with each other.”
 
Kagome made a face as they pulled open the door to the house. “InuYasha…if they…well…if they…” she blanched and spit out, “would that make us cousins?”
 
InuYasha missed a step and nearly face planted himself into the ground. He regained his balance and shot Kagome a weary glaze, “no, and I refuse to speak anymore about that. It's just wrong…”
 
Kagome sighed as they walked down the steps. Breezing past them two teenage boys tore their way up the steps in the opposite direction. Kagome turned and called out to the taller of the two, “Oi, Souta…watch out for mom. She…err…learned of your box on the television and what it allows…um…access to.”
 
Souta skid to a stop, glaring down the steps at the two retreating figures. A look of pure dread crossed over his normally happy face. “You're kidding me, right?”
 
InuYasha chuckled as they reached the bottom, “no, Souta…sorry.”
 
Souta slapped a hand over his face and turned back towards the house, “that's just peachy! Wait…” he turned back with wide eyes and then gagged, “god, now I have to sterilize the couch, don't I?”
 
InuYasha flipped the boy off and rounded the street corner with Kagome. A few feet away the girl abruptly came to a dead halt, her eyes widening. InuYasha gauged her reaction, figuring she realized what she had admitted to. Kagome opened her mouth then closed it, “was that…Kohaku…with Souta?”
 
InuYasha fused his eyebrows together in thought. “Who?”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*
 
Rin sat staring out the back window of the house into the midnight black sky. Her bare arms were covered in goose bumps as she desperately tried to warm herself by wrapping her arms around her body. She hated winter…it was always so cold and she could never stay warm. She let her eyes slowly drag their way over towards the clock on the kitchen counter and read the number a few times over. 2:30 am. Rin sighed and shivered again. `I'm sure it would be warm in Sesshoumaru's arms right now.'
 
Rin made a face as tears welled in her eyes. The one place she wanted to be…the one place she knew she belonged and she couldn't will herself to go back there. She couldn't face him. She closed her eyes and leaned her forehead against the cold glass. The frost that was building on the outside of the window couldn't compare to the bitter iciness she felt inside of her mind, her heart…her soul. `How did this go so wrong? Why…why now?' she swallowed what resembled a lump in her throat as a tear slipped from her eye at the moments distraction. She gasped and tried to brush it away. She berated herself mentally as she swept away the falling drops of water. `How can I feel so dead inside and yet still produce human emotions? I don't understand why…why now, why this? How can I ever face him again after that?' she cringed as her nails bit into her skin but she didn't care. She was at least feeling something. Something was always better then nothing, she had been told. Now she wasn't so sure. Her body convulsed with one forced down sob and she threw herself backwards against the wall of the kitchen. Everything had been so perfect…Sesshoumaru had finally backed off her about the play, they had spent that later part of the evening with InuYasha and Kagome, since Kagome had made the decision that she would rather be at InuYasha's and then she had gone to sleep wrapped securely in Sesshoumaru's arms. Next thing she knew, she was screaming bloody murder and couldn't look Sesshoumaru in the face. It had taken her a long while to calm down, most of the time in which she spent in the bathroom throwing up. She had locked him out, telling him to leave her alone. She couldn't face him…not after what she saw. For nearly an hour she sat on her knees praying to the porcelain gods to take her from this pain. She had never wished to die as many times over again as she stared into the clear water. At least then her body would match her soul. She had taken another dosage of her medicine to appease Sesshoumaru, who sat against the door the entire time in silence. She took nearly two hours to calm down but the minute she opened the door, she felt like something inside of her exploded when she saw his face. Then she remembered what made her scream. She had fought with everything in her body to keep from throwing up on the spot and had told Sesshoumaru that she needed to be left alone. Giving him a very cold shoulder, she had just about run downstairs and had sat at the table for over a half hour.
 
Raising a shaking hand to push her hair out of her face, she choked on a sob again. Her breath was reduced to feverish pants as she screwed her eyes shut. Yet she was it again. That first day…the first time Naraku had… she grit her teeth and forced her eyes open. That wasn't what bothered her. She had come to accept everything Naraku had done to her. Could she handle it? In time…but no, this was far worse. Worse then anything she could ever dream of. `I don't understand…'Rin thought taking a sip of the rum and coke she had concocted together in hopes of luring herself into a sedated state. `Why…why would I see something like that?'
 
The part of her brain that dealt with logic…a part that had always sounded like Sesshoumaru, called out to her. `It's simple Rin. You are seeing what you fear most…and in his place you're projecting the image of what you fear happening. You fear Sesshoumaru will hurt you…you fear you will end up in similar situations with Sesshoumaru as you were with Naraku therefore are transposing two situations to your unconscious and are watching your nightmares play out before your eyes in your dreams.'
 
Rin narrowed her eyes and took another sip of the drink. `That makes no sense. I love Sesshoumaru and I know he would never hurt me. It's not a question! I know he wouldn't! He would sooner chew off his right arm!'
 
`How are you so sure? How do you know that one day he will not grow tired of these games you play…of these situations you impose on him? How do you know that one day he will not simply take what he wants?'
 
Rin scoffed and shook her head, “no…no, no, no! I know because I love him! Because I trust him!”
 
There was a long pause that hung in the air like molasses as Rin turned her eyes towards the doorway. Kagome was clutching her arms around her chest as she eyed her friend wearily before treading slowly across the cold floor. Kagome brushed some hair out of Rin's face sloughing over slightly to look her best friend in her eyes. She had woken up when Rin had started screaming and her and InuYasha were at the bathroom in a minute. Sesshoumaru had demanded that they leave as he struggled to hold onto what little sanity he had left. Kagome could see the wear in his eyes…the circles under his eyes. He was exhausted. A part of her had wondered if this had been going on for a while but she knew it was not her place to ask. She had pretended to fall asleep with InuYasha and had nearly done so until she heard Rin pass by her room. It took her a while to maneuver away from the slumbering hanyou but once she had, she walked up to Sesshoumaru's room. The demon was standing by the window and answered none of her questions. She the decided to find Rin, and what she found a part of her wasn't ready for. She had seen Rin the night they had saved her from Naraku. She had spent all the time in the world with Rin while Sesshoumaru was unconscious in the hospital. She knew Rin inside and out. But never in her life had she ever seen Rin look so crushed. The girl looked like she had lost the love of her life. Kagome dropped into the seat next to Rin and stole a sip of her drink, only to nearly spit it back out. Forcing herself to swallow, she stared at Rin incredulously, “That's rum!”
 
Rin turned her eyes slowly to match Kagome's pointed stare. “It's jack and coke.”
 
Kagome shook her head very slowly and held out her hand, “that can't be good to mix with your meds.”
 
Rin blinked back her tears, “I don't care. Let me die then.”
 
Kagome paused and eyed Rin. `Surely she isn't serious…is she?' Kagome let her stare soften to one of pity. “Rin, don't say those things! I'm sure Sesshoumaru would care! He'd be lost without you, you know that right?”
 
Rin tried to force on a look of indifference. “Fuck if I know.”
 
Kagome swallowed hard once again, trying to push off the foot thick layer of ice Rin was enclosing herself in. If she kept this up, she could seriously push people she needed away. Kagome slowly reached for the cup, “I do know Rin. I know mixing heavy medication and alcohol isn't a good thing. Now let's get you some coffee…”
 
Rin reached out and slapped away Kagome's hand. “Lay off. I'm not going to fucking kill myself on it.”
 
Kagome tried to ignore the verbal stab wounds Rin's words were giving her. Kagome blinked back a batch of her own tears. “Rin…I…”
 
Rin took another swig of the drink, “I don't want to talk about it.”
 
Kagome let her shoulders slump slightly and licked her lips, “Sesshoumaru isn't' talking either.” Nothing. “Rin…what happened?” silence. “Rin…answer me! Did he hurt you?”
 
That got her attention. Rin snapped her head towards the girl so fast that her black hair whipped behind her head cutting a fine whistling sound through the air. She nearly lunged at Kagome. “Sesshoumaru would never hurt me! Not now, not ever! Don't you dare forget that! Never! He doesn't deserve the shit I put him through! I don't know why he stays around! It's not like we're sleeping together, I can't offer him anything more then just my body. Why…why would he want me? Why…” the anger in her voice dropped like a rock off a cliff and was replaced by hysterical raptures of tears. “Why would I dream something like that? Why would I see that? I don't understand?” she began to rant, her words slowly drawing together like strings as she slowly began to rock back and forth, “Kagome, I don't understand. I love him, and he would never hurt me! But in the dream…he did! He did hurt me! I know…I know it wasn't…but god, it felt real! He was worse then…he was worse! And…god why would I dream that? I can't even look at him without flinching? Why? Gods why am I going through this? I just want to be happy?” she turned her tear stained face towards Kagome, “why am I doing this to him? Why are they doing this to me? Why won't it just stop?” she brought her hands to her head and slowly began swaying while pulling at her hair, “ It won't stop Kagome! It won't stop! I keep seeing it! Even with my eyes closed, I see him. But I know…I know Sesshoumaru would never…why?”
 
Kagome stared wide-eyed at her friend, watching helplessly as Rin progressed head first into a full-blown panic attack. The girl nearly fell out of her chair as she clambered under the table, curling her knees to her chest. Kagome followed very slowly in suit, praying to the gods that Sesshoumaru would come downstairs to find them. She couldn't do this alone. She knew something was desperately wrong with Rin and had prayed that her psychiatrist had been able to help Rin…but apparently she hadn't. Kagome very slowly wrapped her arms around Rin and pulled the girl into her chest, hugging her friend for all she was worth. “Shush…Rin…it's okay. Calm down…it's me Rin. You need to calm down. It was only a dream.”
 
Rin's tears stained the black tee shirt of InuYasha's that Kagome was wearing. She hugged her friend back not daring once to let go as she continued to cry. “I don't understand what we did to deserve this! I don't know…I don't know. God's Kagome! I saw Naraku the first time he…but it wasn't him! It wasn't Naraku! I saw…I saw…” she choked on her sobs and willed herself to stop speaking. If she didn't voice it, no one would know. No one would ever know what she really saw.
 
Kagome chewed on her bottom lip as she hugged Rin tighter. She understood what Rin could not say. `She's been through so much only to have her mind betray her now. This poor girl!' she shot a glance towards the darkest part of the foyer where two sets of amber eyes glared out from. Like two small lights in the dark, she locked onto them and shook her head slowly. She knew by Rin's words that if Sesshoumaru approached, things could get worse then what they were. But Rin needed help…she needed to be calmed down and sedated. Kagome hugged Rin tighter and rested her cheek on the top of Rin's head. “Rin…you need to take a deep breath. Naraku is behind bars and is staying there! It's over, hon, it's over and you don't have to go through it anymore. Sesshoumaru is here to help you but he's not stupid Rin. He knows you're hurt and he isn't going to just run away when you lash out. He's aware of the situation and is here for you. He loves you Rin, for who you are; he loves all of you…not just one thing or another. You know that he's been here with you from the beginning. I think, and maybe it's just me, but you seem to be stuck with him.”
 
Rin let out a harsh laugh and buried her face in Kagome's shoulder. “I know, Kagome…I know. But a part of me is screaming! A part of me is trying to follow my instincts blindly and just run away. A part of me is afraid he'll hurt me, even though I know he won't!”
 
Kagome gave Rin a small smile and looked down at the girl. “Everyone has doubts Rin, it's natural. You don't think that a part of me is still scared shitless about Yash and me? It's nature, Rin. But you can't let that hold you back. It's just dreams Rin…and like all dreams, you wake up from them at some point or another. I know they might have sucked or hurt or scared you like this but all they are is dreams. and guess what, that Sesshoumaru that you know and love who fell asleep next to you will be there when you wake up.”
 
Rin pulled away from Kagome and snapped back, “you don't know! You don't know what it's like to see his face behind the actions! I feel…Gods I don't know!”
 
Kagome blinked and then stifled a sigh. “Rin…I want you to repeat after me. Got me?”
 
Rin nodded slowly, her eyes sealed shut.
 
Kagome cleared her throat then suppressed a giggle when Rin did the same. “It was only a dream.”
 
Rin paused before grudgingly repeated, “it was only a dream.”
 
Kagome nodded and grabbed Rin's hands in hers, “and when I open my eyes, I'll be safe in my kitchen.”
 
Rin sniffled once, again fighting a battle with tears. “And when I open my eyes, I'll be safe in my kitchen.” She swallowed hard and lost the battle with her tears as another one slid down her cheek.
 
Kagome hugged Rin tighter and bowed her head. “And when I open my eyes, I'll be with my closest of friends who will never let anyone hurt me again.”
 
Rin paused and threw her head back. `But would they? Would they know this time? Would anyone know if I was hurting again? Would anyone know if he…if Naraku had ever…would they know? Would they stop him?' Leveling back up her head, her eyes clashed with Kagome's. The other girl had bright unshed tears brimming on her long eyelashes staring at the girl in aghast. Rin understood the look without the words and yet when they came, the ripped into her soul regardless.
 
“We failed you, didn't we? That also has to do with this. I'm…I'm so sorry Rin…I failed you. We all were deaf to your pleas for help; they slipped by us. We…we're as much the cause of this as Naraku is! I'm so sorry…God Rin I'm sorry. I wish I had seen it…I wish there was something I could have done to help you! I'm so sorry!”
 
The situation suddenly became reverse as Rin embraced Kagome. “It's okay, please don't apologize! Please! Kagome, it's not your fault! That asshole…he's the bastard!” she grabbed Kagome's hands and stared her best friend in her eyes and lied, “there is nothing you could have done to stop him, not a damn thing!”
 
Kagome could just about feel the lie corrupt the air in the room but her friend trying to make the situation better was able to coincide its malicious intent. Kagome knew that Rin could have stopped Naraku; all Rin would have had to do was hand her over to Naraku. But Rin took the attack…she took the beatings and the assault so Kagome wouldn't need to suffer through it as well. Kagome never realized until that moment as the lie hung over their heads how precious of a gift Rin had allowed her to keep. Rin had sacrificed her innocence for her friends ability to savor the days of youth. Kagome shook her head and sobbed, “Rin…thank you! God thank you for being here for me! and I'm sorry I wasn't there…I'm sorry I didn't see it! I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you!”
 
Rin sighed sadly, “but you are helping me…you're here now!”
 
Kagome sniffed once and laughed quietly, rubbing her nose slowly and then her cheeks. “We must look foolish Rin…sitting under a table balling at like three AM.”
 
Rin mimicked Kagome's actions and let out a hoarse laugh. “I guess you're right.”
 
Kagome gave Rin a hopeful smile and moved to sit on her knees. “I say let's make some popcorn and watch a couple movies.”
 
Rin bit her bottom lip and pouted, “Kagome, it's so early in the morning and we have school tomorrow. I don't want to keep you up! Why don't you go on to bed, I'm sure InuYasha is waiting on you…besides, you're sick!”
 
Kagome crinkled her nose as she began to back out from under the table on her knees. “I'm awake now Rin. I don't think I'm going to do much sleeping tonight! I'll get some blankets and pillows and we'll camp in the basement, just like we used to at my house. Sound good?”
 
Rin nodded slowly and crawled out from under the table next to Kagome. She wobbled once and put her hand to her head. “I don't feel so good.” She grabbed the edge of the table as Kagome helped her to her feet.
 
Kagome threw a worried glance from the empty cup of rum on the counter to the girl in front of her. “Maybe you should lay down on the couch, I'll bring you the blankets. Tell you what, I'll walk you down there and while I get the stuff, you decide what we're watching!” she could feel her brows creasing, `if Rin's medication reacts to the liquor…this could be bad.' she swallowed hard and looked back out to the hallway praying that someone would be there who could tell her what to do. The pale shadow of the moonlight dancing across the sand wood floor was her only companion. `Why is it that those two boys are never here when I need them? Damn…' she bit her bottom lip as she watched Rin's face blanch. `She is going to pass out or puke…and I don't want to be on the receiving end of either!' Kagome fought down her fears of Rin's condition to try to take the girl's mind off of the pain. “So…did I miss anything in school over these last two days? Has Kenchi cast any parts for the play yet?”
 
Rin nodded and allowed Kagome to latch onto her arm and help her down the stairs. She was fighting a losing battle with an urge to throw up but hearing Kagome's question, she pushed past that feeling. She offered the other girl a quaint smile and nodded again. “You got the part of Sandy, you know. But I don't think that was even a question!”
 
Kagome slowed up on the stairs but didn't stop. `I got the lead?' she fought to hold in her happy rant that was beginning to fester inside of her as she coughed once. `Keep her talking…if she stops, she could get sick!' “What role did you get?”
 
Rin shrugged and lowered herself onto the basement couch. Closing her eyes and resting her head on the backrest, she responded, “I got the part of Rizzo. So hey, we get to play foils! How great is that?” she grimaced at the added bonuses of their other halves. `maybe I should tell her tomorrow…if she doesn't ask.'
 
Kagome smiled before letting the expression slip from her face. If Rin is playing a part of someone with a significant other…oh, Sesshoumaru must have thrown a fit!' she sat down next to her friend and tilted her head towards her left shoulder, “Rin…who's playing Kenickie?”
 
Rin licked her lips slowly, taking her time to answer Kagome's question. She lifted her head slight from the backrest and popped open one eye to observe Kagome's reaction. “Well…that's the thing. Gojyo got backup…but the lead is Miroku!”
 
Kagome opened her mouth to laugh hysterically…to ask how Sesshoumaru reacted but realizing just how detrimental brining up his name could be to the unstable girl, Kagome chose to drop it instead. “That's great. Look, I'm going to get some blankets and maybe some soup. I think that could help with your medicine better, having something in your system, that is.”
 
Rin nodded, noticing the abrupt 180 in the conversation. She shrugged and rested her head against the pillows. `She's trying to either avoid asking about who her significant other is in the play or avoiding any mention of Sessh…' she groaned at the burst of irrational fear that shot through her body at the thought of the boy. `Geez…one fucking dream and I'm all sorts of skittish about it. How stupid is this? it was only a dream…only one fucking dream and I'm all bent out of shape?' though ration ran through her mind, she could still remember the dream as if it had really happened. `is this how it's going to be? Me afraid of Sesshoumaru because of one dream?' she tried to stop thinking before setting herself into another panic attack. Rather dryly, she choked out, “That's fine.”
 
Kagome smiled sadly, noticing the sudden change in the girls persona and rubbed Rin's shoulder. “will you be okay if i…”
 
Rin nodded quietly and the put her head back and closed her eyes. `I can't live like this. I can't be afraid of the man I love…it's not fair to either of us.'
 
Kagome swallowed hard and stood slowly. `What else can I do? What can I say?' the answer was sounded by the silence of the room. `Nothing…there is nothing I can do but be here for her as a friend.' Kagome backed up two steps never looking away from her friend then bounded up the steps only to near take out InuYasha who was standing at the top of the stairs.
 
The hanyou caught the flying girl by her waist before she plowed into him. He was bare-chested and looked a mess. He rubbed his golden eyes and looked at the wall clock, “movies now, Princess? Don't you think it's a little late?”
 
Kagome shifted her weight and sighed. “She's hurting Yash and I have to do something. It's my fault, and I don't care what anyone says. It is and you know it!”
 
InuYasha growled and grabbed her arms. “It is not your fault Kagome! You didn't rape Rin! Naraku did…he's the bastard who should fry for this!”
 
Kagome stuck out her chin, “well, in the mean time while he doesn't, I'm going to do everything in my power to keep her happy!”
 
InuYasha nodded slowly and looked back up the steps towards the larger form sitting in the stairwell. He made a face and looked back to Kagome. “He ain't taking this to well.”
 
Kagome shrugged and wrapped her arms around InuYasha's waist, “can you blame him?”
 
InuYasha slowly shook his head, “not at all. Damn, I don't know what I would do if I were him besides rip into that bastard!”
 
Kagome rested her head on his shoulder and sighed again, “just be there for him, InuYasha.”
 
 
InuYasha groaned and ran a hand through his silver hair while pulling back from the girl. “Kagome…he doesn't want my help…”
 
Kagome shrugged, “so don't offer it, just be there. He isn't going to thank you for it…or probably even show he's grateful. But he is…I know that. Just keep your mouth shut and be there for him.” She kissed the tip of his nose and let her one hand wander to his ears, gently rubbing one of the two triangle appendages. “I love you but I have to help Rin.”
 
InuYasha flicked the ear out of the grasp and plastered it to his head with a kiss to her cheek. “I love you too, Kagome.” Kagome moved to step from his grasp and in instinct the boy pulled her tighter to his chest. `What would I do if I hadn't of arrived fast enough when Naraku threatened her? What if I had been two minutes delayed? What would be the ramifications? Would she be like Rin is now? Would I be losing her like Sessh feels he is losing Rin?' He could feel Kagome's shoulders tighten in his hands and he quickly stepped them through the archway of the kitchen, out of the eyesight of his brother and the ear range of Rin. He felt her choke down a quite sob and brushed her hair from her eyes. He kissed her forehead and cradled the girl in his arms. “Kag…”
 
Kagome sniffed down tears and shook her head. “Six months Inu…six months she was raped and I did nothing. How didn't I know? What kind of friend am I?”
InuYasha swallowed down the frustration that was welling in the back of his mouth resting like metal on his tongue and jerked her chin up to face him. “You haven't left her side, Kagome. Through all of this, after you found out, you've been with her. You can't blame yourself for not knowing! She covered all the signs!”
 
Kagome shook her head and grabbed onto the front of InuYasha's shirt tighter through her clenched fists. “No! I always said that I would know if my friends were being hurt. When Kouga and Rin started dating, I told Sango that I would know if Kouga hurt her…that I would kill him if he did! But I didn't know…I had no clue…” she squeezed her eyes shut and rested her cheek against his broad chest. “Does that make me a bad person?”
 
InuYasha growled and once again forced Kagome to look up him. Holding onto her chin, he brought his lips to brush over hers. Whispering against the two tender appendages, his warm breath flushed her face. “Don't you dare say that Kagome! You are not a bad person! God baby…you have the biggest heart I've ever seen in a person. I don't think you have any corruption inside of you…not one ounce of selfishness. You are an angel, baby…don't ever think you're a bad person!”
 
Kagome choked down another sob and squeezed her eyes shut. “I want to help her, InuYasha. I want to make the pain go away. I know…I know all this time he was only after me…he said so himself! Rin took the entire weight of the situation on by herself to save me and I had no clue until it was to late! Why…why would she do that? I would have…I would have traded shoes with her to save her, she should know that!”
 
InuYasha's growl cut through the air. He tired to contain it but it slipped out at the mere thought of Naraku touching his Kagome. The bastard should have been castrated for all of this long ago. What was protecting him was that damned security building. If he could only get in…. InuYasha pressed his lips against Kagome's to silence her rant. `How can I help Kagome deal with this? Being there for Sesshoumaru is easy…but how can I help Kagome? How can I make her realize that this isn't her fault?' he shook his head and rested his forehead against hers. “I guess we're in the same boat baby. We both have to be strong for our family.”
 
Kagome nodded dumbly and sighed sadly as she pulled herself reluctantly from his grasp. The nights they had together were limited by her mother's restrictions and the last thing she wanted was to deny herself the night in his arms but the truth was her friend was hurting and she needed someone. Throwing InuYasha a warm yet sad smile she pulled her fingers from his, ones that she hadn't realized were intertwined as she turned and took to the stairs. Passing the hunching figure on the steps, she spared a smile and a pat on the shoulders. Leaning down towards the demon's ear she muttered, “give her time…she loves you Sesshoumaru. She's scared and doesn't know what to do. She's lost…and I swear it on my last breath that I'll bring her back.”
 
Amber eyes slid to the side to regard the girl on his left. Sesshoumaru lifted his head that was resting on the wall to meet Kagome's stare. For a rare occasion, he found himself speechless. His mouth hung agape for a moment, wanting to thank the girl for the efforts but pledge that he would do it alone but found himself unable to speak. `Rin…doesn't need me…right now. She needs her friends…she needs her sisters.' He snapped his mouth shut and let his eyes thank the girl before seeing past her to the basement stairwell. “When can I go to her?”
 
Kagome felt the smile become more complex…more of a frown really…as levels of Rin's anxiety played over in her mind. “I don't know. Give me the night…maybe you should try to sleep.”
 
Sesshoumaru's gaze turned to ice as he stared back to the girl, “you think I can sleep while my mate cries her eyes out? I think not…”
 
Kagome opened her mouth to say something then stopped as the word settled wrong in her mouth. “Mate?”
 
The glower became tinged by annoyance. “Pragmatics, Kagome. She is my intended mate…my intended wife.”
 
Kagome's eyebrows shot up. “Does she know this?”
 
Sesshoumaru looked down towards the basement then to the rock on Kagome's hand. Finally the amber orbs settled on her face. “It is all promises…unspoken words. She knows she has my heart. I wouldn't…attempt…to be this close unless we were to be.”
 
Kagome shifted the weight on her feet and put a hand gently on Sesshoumaru's shoulders. “Maybe you should say it…maybe you should remind Rin what she has. She is unsure of everything Sesshoumaru. I'm not saying take things to the next level but let her know of your hopes…of what you want for the both of you.”
 
Sesshoumaru scoffed lightly and looked down to her hand that rested on his shoulder…to the ring to be more precise. “Did my baka brother finally do something right?”
 
Kagome smiled lightly and brushed by the demon without another word. She hadn't needed to answer that question. `Yes…yes he has.' Grabbing two pillows and a quilt out of the bedroom she pushed past Sesshoumaru once more and shut the door behind her to the basement. “I got…” Kagome's words died on her lips as her eyes settled on Rin. The girl had managed to curl herself up on one small pillow of the couch and was sound asleep in the fetal position. For a girl who had, nearly ten minutes before, torn herself apart with grief, she looked rather peaceful. With a deep sigh, Kagome placed the quilt over Rin and settled onto the opposite side of the couch. She wanted to stay awake to watch her friend. Rin needed guidance and support and someone to be there if she had another dream. Yet no matter how honorable her intentions were to keep a firm alert out for the other girl, Kagome found herself asleep before her head could hit the pillow.
 
 
~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~****~*~**~
 
 
Sorry it's taken so long to update! Life is threatening to go into overload and getting some spare time to write is a hard thing to come by. I promise I haven't given up!!!
*- Sha Gojyo is taken from the anime SaiYuki just cause I love him and his character (and he's god…and far worse then Miroku could dream of…)