InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ It's been a while... ( Chapter 74 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the Dragon ~<>~
 
 
~<>~ Chapter 74 ~<>~ It's been a while…
 
 
Kagome sighed and pressed her chin to her palm as her eyes drifted towards the clock above their lunch table. “Why does time seem to be crawling by today?”
 
A head dropped onto her shoulder and black hair fall across her chest. A muffled voice echoed out, “Because today sucks.”
 
Kagome reached over slowly and patted Rin's head. “I know…how are you doing?”
 
Rin lifted her head and regarded Kagome with blood shot eyes. Her night yesterday had been hell and was something she preferred not to think of. She had been in the hospital up until about one in the morning, being checked and double-checked, tested and retested by different amounts of clinical psychologists. At one point, Rin had asked them that if she were insane if that would allow her to get some sleep. The doctors merely muttered amongst themselves and wrote stuff down. Sesshoumaru had been livid from the moment he stepped foot in the hospital until they got home that night. Rin sat back in her chair and wrapped her arms around her stomach, fighting down the urge to vomit again. Her body hadn't taken kindly to being shoved back onto the medication. `Damn them for making me take it!' It hadn't even been a question; when the hospital found out she had stopped taking her medication, they had gotten Yamaoto on the phone, who nearly shit a brick, when the news hit her. She agreed to allow the hospital put Rin back on the meds and Rin hadn't been all to wiling. That's when the IV had come into play. By time Sesshoumaru and Ryen had arrived, Rin's medication issues had been corrected. Rin hadn't cried until they got home, after about five hours of testing, but the tears had lasted for about three long painful hours.
 
Rin shook herself awake and then stole the soda off Kagome's tray and took a long sip. “Ryen says I should stay on the medication…”
 
InuYasha, who was slouched on the opposite side of the table scoffed. “Shows how much the old man knows! Baka doesn't know it's not good for you!”
 
Sango, who was sitting on Miroku's lap, threw an incredulous glower towards InuYasha, mentally warning him to shut his trap. When she had found out in first period about what happened, she had been quiet. She didn't voice her opinion about the meds and only said, “You were fine this weekend.” In all honesty, she wasn't sure how she felt. She knew that Rin was suffering, and anything it took to make her better she was willing to agree with. Yet Rin had been much happier off the medication. Sango sighed and shook her head once, “and you're not a clinical psychiatrist, InuYasha…so don't make judgment calls.”
 
InuYasha flipped her off and turned his attention towards Rin, “Look…Rin…you know you were good this weekend!”
 
Rin shrugged and tucked her hair behind her ears, “yeah…but doctors said that going cold turkey off medication could really mess my system up. They said it was lucky I didn't go delusional before I did. Made it sound like the medication has saved my life, bastards! I don't want to be on it anymore!”
 
Kagome rubbed her shoulders and threw a careful glance towards her boyfriend, warning him not to push the subject. “Rin…what exactly happened?”
 
Rin closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Turning to glance at Kagome, she hesitated and dropped her eyes to the table. “I…I don't know. Doctors don't know…” she sighed and ran a hand through her hair, “I know that Naraku has the power to control shikigami like figures…to be able to bend the metaphysical world to control beings that aren't alive but exist on a physical plain of existence. I saw him do it once…I think he called it a demon puppet.” She ran her hands over her bandaged arm and sighed. “That's what attacked me in the bathroom.”
 
Sango reached out and touched Rin's good shoulder with a look of sympathy, “I think you went into shock Rin…I know I would if I had been in your shoes.”
 
No one bothered to mention that it was a good thing she was still alive. Ryen had covered that base the night before. As a part of the arguments that proceeded, Ryen had stated that she was lucky that the demon hadn't just killed her, like Naraku probably would have. Sesshoumaru of course had been enraged by that point and led to an hours worth of screaming between the two demons…well, Sesshoumaru nearly hollering and Ryen rebutting everything. Rin hated to admit it but she agreed with Ryen; she was lucky to be alive and in one piece. But she couldn't overlook what happened afterwards; she had once again mistaken Sesshoumaru for Naraku to a point where she had a pain attack that nearly led to a seizure. Rin shrugged half-heartedly and stared at the lunchroom door. “Where is he?”
 
InuYasha shifted his weight in his seat and turned his eyes towards Kagome. Catching the girl's eyes, he mouthed `deep shit'. Kagome arched an eyebrow and InuYasha rolled his eyes. He knew that Ryen and Sesshoumaru had taken the day to do more digging on Tsubaki and his job, though suspended, as to follow the girls around the school and make sure they were okay. He also had a gut feeling they would be paying a certain incarcerated hanyou a visit. God how he longed to be with them for that; just to see the look on Naraku's face when Ryen allowed Sesshoumaru to rip into him. But he couldn't say a word, not to Kagome or Rin; he knew that if he told Kagome about Tsubaki, she would flip and tell Rin, who in turn would believe that once again everything she had been told was a lie and quite possibly could have yet another mental breakdown.
 
Miroku, sensing the distilled air around the ground, cleared his throat. “Why don't we all go for Hibachi after school? Help calm the nerves…”
 
Rin flinched at the word then sighed, “can't…its play practice, remember?”
 
InuYasha huffed and crossed his arms, pouting as he turned his attention towards the girls, “I still don't fuckin get how you bitches were able to get off of suspension but I'm fucking near expelled for the whole fuckin week!”
 
Kagome laughed and reached over the table to place her fingers on his lip, “because, silly; you're the one who threw the party, he just heard on hear-say that we were there.”
 
InuYasha pulled his face away from her hand and growled, “Bullshit! That's bullshit and you know it! Ryen got you guys off the hook, but do you think he'd get me off, you know, his own flesh and blood? No, oh no…” he sat back and grumbled, “just fuckin did it so he could get down your mom's pants, I say…”
 
Kagome's eyes widened as she gasped, “InuYasha! Eww! I really don't need pictures, thanks!”
 
Rin laughed lightly and shook her head, “I do think he has a point, Kagome!” Kagome smacked her in the shoulder and Rin laughed before yawning. “I'm so freaking tired!”
 
InuYasha turned narrowed eyes towards the girl, “that's cause you went to bed at four am and got up at six. You can't be doing that shit, Rin!”
 
Rin shrugged and then dropped her head onto the table and closed her eyes; “wake me up when the period is over, please!”
 
Miroku sighed and tightened his hold on Sango's waist. “When is this all going to be over?”
 
Kagome turned her attention towards their silent group member; “what do you mean?”
 
Miroku gestured around the cafeteria, “school! This is getting so redundant. I just want to graduate so we can all move on and not think about this.”
 
Sango nodded slowly, “they say these years should be the best ones of our lives…”
 
Rin opened one eye and snapped, “Well they fuckin blow and I swear to god, if this is as good as it gets, I'm slitting my wrists!”
 
Kagome snapped her head to stare at the girl and let her jaw hang open. “Rin! Don't say those things! That's horrible!”
 
Rin lifted her head to narrow her gaze at Kagome, “well, it's fucking true and you know it! Tell me that this is supposed to be the best time of my life!”
 
Kagome let her shoulders fall and she sighed, “No, it's not, but think about this; once you're done in school, you can move on with Sesshoumaru and get married and have kids!”
 
Rin rolled her eyes then closed the again, “no thanks! I'm not brining a child into this hellhole of a world and anyone who would, should be shot. Be best if they just sterilize the world and have us start over in a few thousand years.”
 
The silence that fell over the table was suffocating. The sting of Rin's words lashed at them all. Finally she digressed, lifting her head with her eyes downcast, “I'm sorry…that was wrong. You got to excuse the…” her eyes filled with tears but she fought them down, “its side effects at points, you know…mood swings. I didn't mean…I would never…” she fell into a hush and shook her head once.
 
Kagome wrapped her arm around Rin's frame and gave her a tight hug, “it's okay, don't worry!” with an all too cheery voice, she followed, “so, play practice today, ne?”
 
Rin made a face and glanced at the clock then at InuYasha. She studied his eyes and then smiled at Kagome, “yeah, not much else going on, I guess.” On the inside, she was plotting. She wasn't stupid; something was sincerely amiss. It had been this was since her last visit to Yamaoto and even before then. She had felt it and for the two days she was off the drugs, she knew it. Yamaoto was doing something…plotting something against her. That's why Ryen wanted Rin on the pills, was to avoid her having to see Yamaoto in the hospital. He wanted to keep her out of suspicion as well, if the hospital truly thought her insane, they might throw her into a psych ward. Whatever was going on, Rin knew it was linked to Naraku and indirectly, to her. Sesshoumaru had argued all night long that Rin didn't need to be on the tranquilizers and that it was all a plot against the lot of them. Ryen had rebutted the argument claiming Sesshoumaru was being facetious and that Rin couldn't simply go cold turkey. The argument just seemed to swirl around and around, never truly accomplishing anything but two massive headaches and five threats of breaking bones. `But there is more…something neither one wanted to say because they thought I would hear them. And I know it's important. I'm going to figure this out, and I'm going to do it on my own.'
 
Miroku made a face and glanced across the lunchroom towards where Kouga and his lackeys were goofing off with Karron and Souta. “Hopefully Kouga will be able to remember his lines today, ne?”
 
Kagome nodded slowly, “hopefully it won't be so stressful of a day. I think I've had enough stress for this entire year.”
 
Rin nodded from the table, no one seeing the darkness in her eyes. “Touché.”
~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*
 
Ryen paced the room very slowly; his eyes trained on the wall above his nephews head. “You are to simply just stand there, Sesshoumaru. He will take blind jibes at you to rile you up, he will insult you and say things that will make your blood burn. But you have to restrain yourself; do you hear me? You cannot simply kill this man, no matter how much both of us want to see him dead!”
 
Sesshoumaru followed Ryen with his eyes as he paced with a feral growl in his throat. “Then why bring me here?” Sesshoumaru fought with something inside before growling once more. “He is…” he shook his head and ran both hands across his neck, “I see it now, you know…he'll open his mouth and dare to say something stupid and I'll rip his throat out!”
 
Ryen glanced at his nephew before chuckling, “No, you won't. You are here because I believe you do need a punching bag…and besides, we need to know how he got his hands on the goods to make demon puppets and then make him understand why it's wrong. As soon as I have my information, you can beat him senseless…just don't kill him.”
 
Sesshoumaru sneered, “you know I'd snap his neck if given a chance.”
 
Ryen took a long sidelong glace at his nephew before relenting, “I know what you wish to do to him, Sesshoumaru. I want to see that rat bastard squirm as well, but we need answers.” Tapping his chin for a moment while glancing around the room, the older demon sighed. “Here's what we're gonna do…you see that mirror? It's double sided; you can see through…”
 
Sesshoumaru held up a hand and glowered his uncle, his blood burning against his veins. “I know what a double-sided mirror is. I'm not an ingrate!”
 
Ryen nodded towards the door. “What I want you to do is place yourself on the other side…”
 
Sesshoumaru turned and growled, “no way! I absolutely refuse!”
 
Ryen pinched the bridge of his nose, “Sesshoumaru…”
 
Sesshoumaru reached out and grabbed Ryen's shoulder to keep him in front of him. “Don't berate me of this Ryen! He attacked my mate! If he hasn't done enough to her, he fucking attacked her under my god damned nose and I couldn't do shit about it! He sent one of his fucking puppets out after me and then…”
 
Ryen looked from the hand on his shoulder to the man who owned it. “Sesshoumaru…first, calm the fuck down. Second, take a deep breath and explain yourself rationally and third and most importantly, remove your hand from my shoulder before I remove it from your body!”
 
Sesshoumaru narrowed his molten eyes and yanked his hand away from his uncle. “Don't threaten me, old man; my patience for you grows thin.”
 
Ryen stared hard at his nephew for a moment before shoving the boy's shoulder with enough pressure to send him stumbling backwards and ultimately dropping into a chair a few feet behind him. In a swift moment, Ryen was in front of him with his booted foot on the front of the chair between Sesshoumaru's knees. Leaning forwards, Ryen rested his right elbow on his propped knee. Closing a distance between the Inu Youkai by a few feet, Ryen hissed, “I'm getting sick of your narcissistic disorder, Sesshoumaru. You think the rest of your friends aren't suffering right along with you? For once pull your head out of your ass. You want to make this about Rin then do it right; protecting your mate should be first up on your list, not murdering the sick fuck who did this to her. Tell me, nephew, who will protect Rin when they throw you in the lock up for manslaughter? Who will protect Rin from those bastards who you know will go after her for your mistake of murdering their boss? Who will explain to her that the last fucking person she has left in this world ain't gonna see her again?” Reaching out with his left hand, Ryen patted Sesshoumaru's left cheek twice, “use that head under all that fucking hair, pup! I know you can!”
 
Sesshoumaru never flinched outwardly. Taking a stone cold look at the foot on the chair between his knees, he let his eyes dark up to fire upon his uncle. “Are you done?”
 
Ryen shook his head once and removed his foot from the chair. Turning around, he shoved his hands into his leather trench coat's pockets and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. Pulling one from the carton with his teeth, the lighter appeared magically from his right hand and lit up the cigarette. Twirling the tiny cylinder around his fingertips, he shoved both lighter and carton into his pocket.
 
Sesshoumaru stared at his uncle's back for a moment before brandishing his claws. “Give me one good reason,” he began, as he stood, “why I shouldn't take you out right now?”
 
Ryen shrugged nonchalantly as he blew a stream of smoke from the corner of his mouth, “I can give you a few. First off, you're in a prison; unless you want your exit pass revoked, I'd say it's a pretty stupid idea. Another being that ever god damned guard in this place knows me and unless you want to be acquainted with the reason why they say `don't drop the soap', I'd again say it's a stupid idea.” Pulling the cigarette from his mouth, he added glibly, “And also, because you can't beat me.”
 
Sesshoumaru sneered; he had had enough. First his uncle question his ability to protect his mate, then he had the audacity to call him on it in front of Rin on the drive home the previous night about the events of the day and the prior weekend. If that wasn't bad enough, being treated as if he were but a pup was enough to ignite the Youkai's blood. With a growl, Sesshoumaru rushed his uncle, his hand raised to do some serious harm, intent on making the older Youkai submit.
 
With a fluid motion, one that even Sesshoumaru couldn't follow, Ryen reached to his side, turned on one foot and had his desert eagle shoved right in the Youkai's face. Ryen's hair hadn't even settled from the quick movement before the gun was raised. Nearly colliding with the barrel, Sesshoumaru paused dead in his track, his face twisted in a sort of amazed rage. His nostrils flared as Ryen regarded him coolly. Ryen studied his nephews face then clicked the safety off on the end of his gun. Taking with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth, he taunted, “come at me again, pup…if you dare.”
 
“Grow a pair and put away the toy; if you're any kind of Youkai, you'd take me on hand to hand!”
 
Ryen cocked an eyebrow and studied his nephew for a moment before reinstalling the safety and twirling the gun around one hand in a very cow-boyish manner. Dropping the gun into his hoister on his hip, he cracked his neck to one side and looked toward the door. “You sure you want to do this, kid? I really don't want to hurt you…but I ain't gonna take a hit from you, I'll say that.”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes widened a fraction as he rushed the man again, aiming for the knees, “we'll see.” He was sure he was going to get him…nearly positive. As his hands wrapped around his uncles knees, the man all but vanished. Sesshoumaru put one hand down on the ground and broke into a dive roll to break his fall. Getting up after a nearly prefect summersault, Sesshoumaru turned ready for his uncle to be there. His eyes widened to find him not. His looked around for a moment before his back straightened. He turned as fast as he could to face the table on the far right. To bad he wasn't fast enough.
 
Jumping just as Sesshoumaru reached him, Ryen avoided the teenager's attack and landed behind the kid on the table without a sound in a crouch. It was hard not to snicker watching Sesshoumaru stare dumbfounded to where he had been but hearing the slip of breath, Sesshoumaru was let onto his location. The Youkai turned ready to attack his uncle only to block a swift roundhouse aimed for his chest. In a precision of timing, Ryen used his feet to back handspring off the table as Sesshoumaru wielded around for a third blow. On the offensive, Ryen landed ten feet back from Sesshoumaru. Then in the most insulting of manners, Ryen turned his back to the boy.
 
Sesshoumaru's growl only increased in volume as he again raced towards his uncle. Ryen waited until he was a foot away to turn, and Sesshoumaru was ready. Dropping to the floor to slide under his uncle's arm, he slid past the Youkai as he turned and jumped up on the other side, absolutely sure he had bested Ryen. Still not facing Sesshoumaru, Ryen's left hand shot behind him and grabbed Sesshoumaru by his throat and pinned him to the wall, two feet off the ground. Ryen turned leisurely around to address the boy, not ready for the fist that caught him in his right cheek. His head snapped to the left with a deafening crack and he stayed like that for a moment. Counting backwards from ten, the Youkai very slowly turned his head back to stare disbelievingly at his nephew. Sesshoumaru stared out at him, from his lifted spot on the wall, glowering with as much ferocity as his body would allow. Blood trickled from Ryen's nose as the two Youkai stared each other down. Finally Ryen dropped his nephew to the floor and wiped away the blood that had run onto his lips.
 
Sesshoumaru was ready to attack again until his uncle's maniacal laughter filled the air. He paused and regarded the man with near disbelief.
 
Ryen wiped his nose again and sniffed, then stared at the blood on the sleeve of his white button down pristine shirt with something akin to awe. Staring up at his nephew, amusement seemed to be the best fitting adjective for the look in his eyes. “You fucker…I can't believe you hit me! You are the first person, seriously, in…damn…I don't know how long, in the middle of a serious fight to lay a hand on me.” Walking towards Sesshoumaru, who seemed completely flabbergasted, Ryen wrapped his arm around him and laughed again, “you do have a lot of skills, I'll give you that. Definitely your father's son, I'll say that much. It's good to know that there is still someone in this family with some sort of skill…next to me, of course.” He patted the boy's back and laughed again before grabbing Sesshoumaru's ponytail and yanking his head back to bare his neck.
 
Sesshoumaru's hand shot up to grab his uncles but stopped when he tasted the metal of a gun resting in his mouth. His eyes widened as he looked up the barrel of the black gun to meet his uncle's dead serious gaze.
 
Ryen stared down at Sesshoumaru, his molten amber eyes nearly ablaze with anger. Cocking the gun, he whispered, “You need to keep your attention on your opponent Sesshoumaru. Today you could taste lead if you don't. You will never know who your enemy may be…or what they will look like. Never, and I mean never, turn your back to me, to your brother, or to anyone. Never let your guard down, do you hear me?” pulling the gun away, he shoved it back into his hoister and released Sesshoumaru's hair.
 
The demon pulled away and rubbed his jaw and let out a deep breath. He inhaled sharply and quickly righted himself. “Are you done with your pathetic expositions of power?”
 
Ryen pulled at the collar of his trench coat and shrugged his shoulders, “you done being a conceited little prick?”
 
Sesshoumaru sneered and moved towards his uncle once more, his index finger pointed towards the man, “I'm sick of you, uncle! You think yourself so powerful and so wise and yet you're not! You're no better then me or even that hanyou of a brother of mine! You walk around like god's gift to the world and expect everyone to bow to your command. Fuck that, this ends now!”
 
Ryen closed his eyes and snorted, “this is getting redundant Sesshoumaru. Do you really want another ass kicking?”
 
Sesshoumaru snarled, “You will be the only one to fall today!”
 
Ryen rolled his eyes and sighed deeply, “I'm not going to have this discussion anymore with you Sesshoumaru. Why won't you listen? Why don't you see what I'm trying to help you to?”
 
Sesshoumaru's rage was nearly as stifling as the atmosphere of the rank prison. “I do not need you to tell me how to live my life! You think you know what is best for Rin, you think me inept to protect her!”
 
Ryen sighed louder, “I think you can protect her when your head is not up your ass!”
 
Sesshoumaru shoved a hand towards his uncle, “and this is what I'm talking about! You think yourself better! I'm not taking this bullshit of yours anymore Ryen! Just because you were incapable of saving your relationship with Kagome's mother due to you choosing an idiotic path, because you were inept to save the life of your brother, you think it gives you the right to dictate…to assume…that you know what is best. You already fucked your life, Ryen…why should I give you mine to fuck as well?”
 
Ryen slammed his hand down on the table; wear beginning to show in the demons eyes along with age and a misplaced nostalgia. “You're right, Sesshoumaru; I did fuck my life…I fucked it royally. But it was through those mistakes that I found the meaning of life, the truth behind my actions, the error of my ways and all that fucking bullshit! And honestly, I see you heading down the exact same course. I see you being presumptuous, bigoted towards the other races of the world, and arrogant. I see you running head first into situations,” waving his hand around the abandoned meeting room, “…like this where you make a single bad judgment and lose twenty years plus to your life. I see you thinking that you are protecting Rin, when in fact you're hurting her just as much as this bastard is.” With a sigh, Ryen ran his hand through his hair and shook his head, “why do you think I've stuck around? Why do you think I care? It's not that your just family, Sesshoumaru…you're me, and you're about to make the same fucking mistake I did. I thought I could handle it…I thought if I just ran blindly, I wouldn't be blinded, that no one would beat me.” Ryen dropped his voice as his eyes focused through Sesshoumaru to stare out the wall behind him. “Well I was wrong…and I lost the world. It's not too late for you…but you have to do it right, by the book.”
 
Sesshoumaru pushed Ryen away and crossed his arms, sarcasm dripping from his words. “And tell me, dear uncle, who wrote this book?”
 
Ryen turned and looked towards the far door heading into the prisoner's cells. “The men who are trapped back there; men who take what doesn't belong to them and force you to give them your life, to have but a taste of what they stole from you. Naraku has taken everything from Rin, and in doing so, has taken it from you as well. In giving Rin your heart…in choosing her as your mate, you have taken on her burdens in life, namely Naraku. You're blood begs for his life…your soul calls for his death; but you must use your brain, Sesshoumaru. If you kill him, if they link his death to you, you will never be safe; your mate will never be safe. No matter what he says to you today, you mustn't kill him. Am I understood?”
 
Sesshoumaru stared at his uncle and then shook his head slowly, “what happened to the brash man of which whom I just sparred?”
 
Ryen chuckled lightly and shook his head, “are you sure you wish to be here, to face him, with this knowledge?”
 
Sesshoumaru stared at the far door in slight trepidation before slowly nodding, “I am sure.”
 
Ryen sighed and cocked an eyebrow, “as you wish.” He walked towards the door then knocked twice before returning to the side of the interrogation room where his nephew stood. Leaning his head towards the boy, he muttered, “keep a stone face…if he sees he is getting to you, he will jibe. And he is ruthless…”
 
The said hanyou strut through the opposing door at that moment, two armed guards with him. The dim gray jumpsuit clashed with the inky black hair that spiraled down his back like snakes. The manacles on his wrists were cast off upon entrance and he rubbed the sore appendages with something acute to amusement etched on his face as he regarded his guests. Only after the guards took flank to the doors did Naraku speak. His eyes trained on Sesshoumaru, though his words were directed to Ryen, “so, what brings you back to see me, detective?”
 
Ryen cocked an eyebrow, “what, didn't you miss me?” he stared at the hanyou for a moment before sneering, “And it's sergeant, not detective.”
 
Naraku scoffed and dropped into a chair and kicked his feet up onto the table, “hardly.” A smile crept onto his lips, “still the silent one, Sesshoumaru? I must say, I'm impressed to see you here in person. All this time I thought you were sending your lapdog to do your biddings.”
 
Ryen paced to the table and slapped the boy's feet off the table. Planting two hands on the cold surface, he leaned forward. “Cut the bullshit, Naraku. Tell me how you're making demon puppets from your hole in the wall.”
 
Naraku's amusement soared. “Demon puppets, you say?” the corner of his mouth lifted into a whimsical grin, “I must say I don't know what you speak of. But I am intrigued…”
 
Ryen snarled and slammed his hands on the table once more. “Look at me, you arrogant bastard! I know the black arts and I know of your father's abilities with this particular incantation. I don't doubt for one moment that since his filthy blood runs through your veins that you possess the knowledge as well. What I want to know is where you got your materials from.”
 
Naraku merely laughed…loudly. “So tell me, detective, what did this demon puppet look like?”
 
Ryen tilted his head, amusement filtering into his sadistic glower, “like an ape, really…quite hideous. Had this absolutely horrid black hair and these beady red eyes…quite a turn off, I'll say that much.” He tilted his head towards the mirror, “if you want a better description, look in there.”
 
Naraku's laughed slipped from his lips. His face became more poker orientated as his gaze swept from Ryen to Sesshoumaru. “And tell me…to what do I owe the honor of your attendance? Is this my execution? Have you come to strike revenge for that little cunt that follows you around?”
 
Sesshoumaru swallowed the insult and kept his jaw firmly shut.
 
Ryen reached out and grabbed Naraku's chin to draw his attention focused solely on him. “Pay attention to me, you little shit! What the fuck did you do?”
 
A smile grew on the serpent's face. “I wish I could own up to the events you describe, they sound delightful.” He pulled his chin away from Ryen and sat back in his chair. His eyes never left Ryen. “Tell me, Sesshoumaru; is this another one of your girlfriend's wild stories…maybe another cry for attention. God I hated it how that bitch would cry. I found beating her was the best cure for that. Or just shoving my…”
 
Ryen grabbed Naraku under the table by his foot and pulled hard enough to make the boy crash backwards from his reclined position in his chair onto the floor. In an instant, Ryen had him by his collar. “Unless you want my foot shoved up your ass, you'll stick to answering my questions. Don't even look at Sesshoumaru, as far as you're concerned, he isn't here.”
 
Naraku sneered and continued his line of thought from before, the smile only growing more masochistic on his face. “…Dick in her mouth. It worked…”
 
Ryen dropped Naraku to the floor and kicked him once in the face, sprawling the boy across the room. Before the boy could even hit the wall, Ryen had him by his collar once more. “Let me enlighten you to the precarious situation you have found yourself in. Before you stands a man who is more then happy to oblige to rip the beating heart from your body.”
 
Naraku clicked his teeth and pouted, “Must it always be violence when we meet? Can't we talk like civilized men?”
 
Ryen hissed back, “Only when two men are in the presence of another. You, sir, are a serpent.”
 
Naraku cackled with laugher, “I prefer an arachnid, if you don't mind.”
 
Ryen narrowed his eyes and slammed Naraku against the wall, “actually, I do.” he threw Naraku back into his chair and stormed back around to his. “Tell me of Tsubaki Yamaoto.”
 
Naraku blinked once, then twice and finally shrugged. “I have nothing to say about that whore. She's a psychologist, related in some way to my father and his--“ throwing a short nod of his head towards Sesshoumaru with a lingering glower, “--mother.”
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head slowly and approached the table. “You have dealings with her, we know this. What you are going to tell us is what drugs she is giving Rin.”
The groan didn't quite escape Ryen's lips but the quick pained expression flashed through his eyes. Sesshoumaru had dropped their cards onto the table and by the grin building on Naraku's lips, the hanyou knew it.
 
Naraku sat back once more in his chair, the air of power resurfacing in the audacious looks that crossed his face. “Drugs you say? What kind of drugs? Prescription, illegal…sexual? What's the matter Sesshoumaru; can't get the bitch wet, problems getting it up? You know, I was going to say that you didn't smell like her, but I thought it presumptuous.” He leaned forwards and rested his hands on the table with an eerie type of reminiscent smile, “I can't really recall a time that the bitch ever dried out on me. Maybe I just fuck better.”
 
Sesshoumaru felt his blood rising to a near boiling point as his nostrils flared in outrage. He swallowed once; grinding his teeth together in pure anger yet forced the urge to throttle Naraku down. “Yamaoto has been on your payroll for the last four years. You sign her checks; your name is on the clinic she runs. All of her patients have been people you have dealt with. We know you have associations with this woman…now I want to know what you have ordered her to do with Rin.”
 
Naraku tilted his head and shrugged his shoulders, “I wish I knew what you were talking about, but sadly, I don't.”
 
Ryen scoffed once, stepping in for his blistering nephew. “Sadly, I don't believe a word from that filthy mouth of yours.”
 
Naraku snapped his attention towards Ryen, “then why are you here, detective?”
 
Ryen blinked slowly, “how are you creating your puppets?”
 
Naraku mimicked Ryen's interactions then crossed his arms with a sigh of boredom. “I thought we were discussing Sesshoumaru's inability to please his mate.”
 
Sesshoumaru shot back, “I can please Rin just fine. And if you ever wish to walk again, hanyou, you'll answer his questions.”
Naraku clicked his tongue, “that's not what I've heard. I've heard she has you sleeping on the couch…outside on the porch…anywhere but in bed with her. I wonder if she gets jealous of how frequently your brother ruts with his bitch.” he tapped his chin the smiled ruthlessly, “I wonder how many times she's thought of fucking your brother…my, what a knock to your pride that would be.”
 
Ryen slammed his hand down on the table, cracking the table on both sides of the wood. “Enough! I've had enough of this pissing contest! Naraku, the puppets, where are they coming from?”
Naraku stared at Ryen, who has leapt to his feet, and then stood slowly, “I don't know what you are talking about, and that is the last time I shall say it.” he looked towards the guards and sighed, “I'm sorry, gentlemen, but I grow weary of this talk. Come back to see me sometime in the near future before I am released. After that…only a few people,” he spared a glance at Sesshoumaru with enough of a menacing glower for Sesshoumaru to know just who he spoke of, “will know where I am…and no one will guess where they will be buried.”
 
Sesshoumaru snapped. Taking a step towards the boy, Sesshoumaru reached into the front ride side of his pants and removed an S&W revolver. Before even Ryen could move, Sesshoumaru snapped back the chamber on the piece, showing the five chambers filled. With a flick of his wrist, he jostled the gun to regurgitate all of its bullets save one, and pocketed the four that flew into the air. He spun the round once and shoved Naraku against the wall with one hand.
 
Naraku watched Sesshoumaru carefully and sneered as the Youkai shoved him against the wall. He regarded the gun and laughed, “What American western cliché…”
 
Sesshoumaru snapped the gun's chamber shut and plowed the barrel of the gun into Naraku's mouth, cracking his two front teeth in the blunt force. Pulling back the trigger, Sesshoumaru stoically questioned, “How did you create the puppets?”
 
Ryen reached for his nephew then stopped. He could see the guards standing up to attention and heading their way in no such hurry. To them, if Naraku Onigumo suffered an accidental death, it would be one less shit head to watch. His eyes darted back to his nephew, praying that the Youkai knew what he was doing.
 
Naraku's eyes widened slightly yet his kept his mouth shut save the disgusted look he was burning into Sesshoumaru.
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow then pulled the trigger. The sound of metal scraping the hollow chamber grated on the frayed sanity of all in the room. Sesshoumaru merely cocked the gun back a second time and repeated the question, “How did you create the puppets?”
 
Naraku stuck out his chin and cocked an eyebrow. Sesshoumaru unflinchingly pulled the trigger a second time.
 
Ryen's breath caught in his throat as the chamber was once again empty. He could see Sesshoumaru wearing down the hanyou's outer shell; it was obvious by the frantic fear that burst in the demon's red eyes every time Sesshoumaru's thumb released the trigger. It was a high probability that the next chamber was the loaded one. This game of Russian roulette was getting dangerous, and both me knew it.
 
Sesshoumaru cocked the third chamber and raised an eyebrow. “Puppets…how?”
 
Naraku sneered and as Sesshoumaru's thumb nearly released, his eyes widened as he coughed out some inaudible response, his words muffled by the metal in his throat. Sesshoumaru pulled the gun back, yet still at point blank range of his face. “Ryen…this is uncalled for!”
 
Sesshoumaru cocked an eyebrow and released the trigger. Naraku flinched, his eyes jammed closed. Nothing. All but Sesshoumaru seemed shocked. He merely clicked to the next chamber.
 
Naraku's eyes focused from Ryen to the guards. His voice raised an octave, “what do I pay you men to do? These barbarians are going to kill me while you stand there scratching your balls. Do something!”
 
The older of the two guards simply smiled a sickeningly sweet grin, “why, Mr. Onigumo, I see nothing out of order here.”
 
Naraku turned his attention back to Sesshoumaru, and then spit out a bloody wad of phlegm and teeth. “You bastard! How dare you…”
 
Sesshoumaru pulled the trigger. Ryen moved forward slightly, his mouth hanging open, Naraku's eyes widened and the guards turned their faces. Nothing. Naraku's breath came in pants as Sesshoumaru shoved the gun against his mouth and that was all it took. “I got the material from the conjuror down three cells from me. He had the right wood and I knew the spell.”
 
Sesshoumaru pressed the gun against his lips, “what is Tsubaki planning on doing to Rin?”
 
Naraku sneered and backed against the wall, trying to rid the waving gun from his face, “if Rin doesn't testify, I get released. The state has already dropped my convictions seeing that it was my father who ran all those gangs!”
 
Ryen's jaw dropped. “Bullshit! That's fucking bullshit! They would never…”
 
Naraku's eyes flashed towards the older Youkai in pure fury, “They did…now all they have on me is accused rape…none of which is concrete. If Rin recants, I walk.”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow, “so you're having Tsubaki poison Rin's mind, making her think herself crazy, so what…she'll end up in a home?”
 
Naraku's eyes narrowed, “I don't care what she has to fucking do…all that little cunt needs to do is forget it happened. You tell her that if she can keep that damn mouth of hers shut, I'll think about letting her live!”
 
Sesshoumaru pulled the trigger. Everyone in the room flinched, the guards shut their eyes, Ryen turned his face and Naraku nearly pissed himself. The click of an empty chamber and the dull outraged cry filled the room. Neither Youkai looked back as they left with their needed information.
 
Ryen paused at the security desk, his eyes drilling into those of the man behind the desk. Ryen had a way of making a person want to shrink into oblivion with the glower he could plaster on at any given moment, he could gather a glare cold enough to freeze over hell. He looked over the man for a moment then leaned closer, “I want Naraku in self containment, he is not to have any interaction with other prisoners until I say it is okay, am I understood?”
 
The guard swallowed hard and nodded slowly, slightly backing away from the all to composed Youkai.
 
Ryen leaned closer, his eyes narrowing. “I also want that conjurer's sell raided and all of his artifacts removed. I want a cavity search performed on both men, making sure they have nothing more on them and then relocate the conjuror to section omega, and keep him away from Naraku and under surveillance until I say it's okay to let him breath. I don't want that fucker to take a piss without someone there to flush the fuckin toilet, you understand me?” he leaned closer and slowly repeated, “Not. To. Be. Alone!” Ryen pulled back and threw the man one more razor sharp glance, “and I want Naraku to have two guards outside his cell at all times, understood?”
 
A small yelp was his response. Not bothering to glance at the man, Ryen turned and walked out of the prison, a small smile etched onto his face. `oh, Naraku will not be a happy inmate after this…'
 
Only once they were out of the prison and into Ryen's Shelby did Ryen digress to Sesshoumaru. “You have some balls, kid, bringing in a piece without telling me. What the fuck were you thinking?”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow, “I got what we needed. Didn't I?”
 
Ryen narrowed his gaze. “You gonna tell me where the slight of hand was?”
 
Sesshoumaru shrugged and looked to the gun. “I guess the last bullet got clogged. Sometimes it sticks.” Ryen stared at the Youkai for a long pause before starting the car. Sesshoumaru shrugged and shoved the gun into the top of his pants, well aware that five bullets rested in his pocket.
 
 
~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kagome stood up and stretched her legs. She turned to glance right across the stage towards where Miroku was throwing out lines to Kouga who seemed stumped. So far the only person on this stage incapable of memorizing lines was Kouga, the star of the play. Kagome raised her hand and jumped around a bit, her face slightly scrunched up. She had been practicing her lines with Kouga until half of the cast threatened castration if they had to hear `you're the one that I want' one more time off key. Now they had to listen to horrid renditions of `grease lightning' compliments again of their favorite fuck up. Kagome finally marched off stage and walked to the teacher, whose head was resting on the piano, banging it up and down ever so slightly. “Kenchi-sama…I need to…”
 
Kenchi lifted his red face, obvious irritation playing in his normally passive brown eyes, “Kagome, you can do whatever your heart wants. At least you know your lines…what was I thinking putting him in that position?”
 
Kagome lightly rubbed the teacher's back with a sympathetic smile before skipping towards the doors towards the bathroom.
 
“Oi, Kagome…where are you going?”
 
Kagome paused and sighed deeply before looking back to the wolf demon that was sitting on the stage right next to her. How he moved so fast still shocked her. She flipped her hair over her right shoulder and gave him a patient smile. “Kouga-kun…you're job right now is to get your lines right…don't worry about where I'm going.”
 
Kouga huffed and reached out to touch her shoulder, “Kagome, with that filthy mutt not here right now, I really shouldn't allow you to leave here unaccompanied.”
 
Kagome closed her eyes and sighed again. “Kouga, InuYasha is in the school…just not here…”
 
Kouga laughed lightly and crossed his arms, “because he can't stand the heat.”
 
Kagome shook her head and pinched the bridge of her nose, her patience wearing thin. “It's because, Kouga, he couldn't physically assault you for having to touch me every two seconds.”
 
Kouga grinned sheepishly and removed his hand from her shoulder; “I can't help it if I'm following my quos.”
 
Kagome stared at the wolf incredulously then narrowed her eyes, “this is a dry run, Kouga; no stage direction needed. You don't need to grab me by my waist when we sing.”
 
Kouga shrugged, the lecherous grin that often donned Miroku's face before he would get slapped brimming on Kouga's. “But Kagome…Kenchi didn't seem to mind and it fit the song.”
 
Kagome began to shake her head slowly, “Kouga, I highly suggest you rent the play, not the movie.”
 
The grin began to slide off Kouga's face. “Kags…why can't you loosen up?”
 
Kagome groaned then remembered just why she was up and moving, “Kouga, I need to run to the lavatory…when I get back, we'll pretend like this didn't happen, okay?”
 
Kouga reached out and touched her face, “Kagome, I really don't want to let you walk around by yourself, let me accompany you at least.”
 
Kagome pulled away from the wolf as if he had slapped her, “no, Kouga. Stay here and do something for a change!” she turned on her heels and walked for the door.
 
Kouga growled lightly and rubbed behind his neck, “so…Kag…where's Rin? Aren't you and mutt face supposed to be watching her like some kind of sentry?”
 
Kagome glanced over her shoulder, both hands planted on the swinging door and sighed, “Rin had a doctor's appointment that Sesshoumaru was picking her up for. She asked me to tell Kenchi after chorus.”
 
Kouga's scowl darkened, “I though you told the mutt she was at the bathroom?”
 
Kagome flushed slightly and glanced around. “Rin said that he has been getting really nasty with Sesshoumaru over her doctor and she didn't want to upset him while he was here so she asked me not to say anything.”
Kouga shrugged then turned his back on the girl and paused, “one last offer to let me accompany you to the bathroom?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and shoved her way out the door. “The nerve of some people…I swear!” she grimaced as the door slammed shut behind her. She turned to walk towards the bathroom then paused. It wasn't such a faint sound, the drumming was louder then the guitar but it struck interest in Kagome never the less. Turning to her left instead of right, she slowly walked towards the band room. The closer she got, the louder the pounding beat got and the more enthralling the music became. It was a type of rock; she was sure she heard… a guitar…maybe two and someone beating the hell out of a drum. The lyrics she knew, it was to an American group under the name Linkin Park. The words seemed to light the air ablaze and she was nearly sure that whoever it was could make a killing as a professional artist. Then it hit her, like a lead brick; she had heard the voice before. The night her and InuYasha attended the rave…the same night those two jerks came back into InuYasha's life; it had to be Bankotsu and Hiten. Rounding the corner to the room, Kagome's jaw nearly dropped. The door to the band room was propped open and inside Hiten was on the drums, crashing away at them like a devil incarnate, and Bankotsu was strumming away on an electric guitar that was sharp silver with a purple glint. What made her drool though was her boyfriend, sitting a few feet from them on a chair, a red electric guitar strapped to his chest and he was making it sing like an angel. The sound resonating from the instrument was enough to send chills up her spine. `He never told me he knows how to play!' Bankotsu was singing and Kagome had to hand it to the boy, he had quite the voice. She just couldn't get over the site of her lover…and she had never wanted him more.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~**~~**~*~*~**~
 
InuYasha pushed out of the school doors twenty minutes through play practice, never the more furious with himself or with that stupid wolf shit that wouldn't get his paws off Kagome. Miroku had to physically restrain InuYasha twice and nearly a third time when Kouga intentionally grabbed Kagome around her waist and lifted her into his arms. Kouga's saving grace was the fact that Kagome had smacked him twice and was threatening bodily harm if he touched her again. InuYasha had spent a good ten minutes glowering at the wolf, and when Kagome's back was turned to him, making some truly obscene gestures and choice words towards the wolf, most focusing around three hundred and ten ways to kill Kouga. Kouga stayed at an arms length for a while, until his whispered additional line to Kagome set InuYasha off. It was something that made the girl flush then beat the stuffing out of him, something along the line of wanting to take her outback and show her how a real man takes a girl. Kagome had hit him repeatedly before InuYasha removed her and introduced the wolf's face to the floor. Kenchi promptly kicked him out.
 
His ears flattened to his head as the first drop hit and he growled again and ripped a cigarette out of his pocket. Shoving it into his mouth, he fumbled with a lighter before cursing loudly and casting it to the ground. “Son of a bitch, can't anything go fucking right for once?”
 
A flame appeared in front of his face and InuYasha quickly lit his smoke. Turning, he found Bankotsu leaning up against the building, a similar New Port hanging from his lips. The boys lounged there for a moment, simply smoking and enjoying the flavor, before Bankotsu threw the butt to the ground and stomped on it once. His eyes met the hanyou's and his mouth opened twice, yet no words seemed to spill out.
 
InuYasha watched him carefully then smirked. “I'm impressed…only a cigarette, Bank…could you be laying off drugs?”
 
Bankotsu glowered at the boy then adverted his eyes and huffed, “I heard something about it being bad for you…or something like that.”
 
InuYasha barely contained his smile, “yeah, the Surgeon General said something like that. But then again, I think that was to cigarettes, not weed.”
 
Bankotsu rolled his eyes, “yeah, well, you know I can't read that shit anyway…”
 
InuYasha closed his eyes, wallowing in the nicotine induced high. “Look…about this weekend and well…fuck…since you got here. I never meant, I mean…I…” he sighed and ran a hand through his hair, slick with rain and matted to his shoulders. “I'm…”
 
Bankotsu shoved InuYasha's shoulder, never quite meeting his gaze, “It's cool man, no worries.”
 
InuYasha threw the cigarette onto the ground and turned to his friend. “no, I got to say it. I'm sorry…I've been a dick since you got here. I haven't forgotten what you've done for me, Bank. I mean, hell, you and Hiten are family to me and I just walked away.”
 
Bankotsu shrugged and rolled his eyes. “Don't get so fucking sentimental or I might puke.”
 
InuYasha's smile only lasted a minute before he leaned back to the building. “How's Hiten? Is he okay?”
 
Bankotsu rubbed the back of his head and shrugged. “I guess…he's still being a little bit of a bitch about it. Making snide comments, ya know, about me beating the crap out of him. Shit like that…”
 
InuYasha shook his head slowly, “you shouldn't have done it. I'm sorry I dragged you into it. I mean…he's your best friend and it was wrong of me to get you two against each other.”
 
Bankotsu shook his head once, “Nah, man…I told you, we're okay now. What I did was what Hiten deserved. I might not like that bitch, Rin, but no girl deserves to hear half the shit that dick said to her…especially after what she's been through.” He made a face and shook his head slowly, “damn that asshole Naraku. I mean, I'm bad, I'll admit it but I would never…” Bankotsu's voice trailed off and he shook his head slowly. “Damn…”
 
InuYasha studied his friends face for a moment, a flicker of pure unadulterated shock staining his eyes before he scoffed. “Keh, you can say that again.” InuYasha kicked the dirt at his feet then sighed. “Does Hiten remember anything of the night?”
 
Bankotsu once again shrugged, “I really don't give a damn. He mentioned something about Rin at one point then brooded for a couple hours…this was like Sunday or something, but since then he hasn't said shit to me about it.”
 
InuYasha raised an eyebrow in surprise. “A couple hours? Damn…that's a long fucking time to brood about one thing.” He shifted his weight and avoided his friend's teal eyes. “Look, Bank…I really am sorry. I didn't want to turn you against your best friend…and I still say you should have let me beat the shit out of him.”
 
Bankotsu made a face, “nah, you had to comfort the girl.” The grin that grew on his face was coy, “besides, fucker been asking for an ass beating via me for a damn long time.”
 
InuYasha took one last drag and tossed the butt away into the wet grass. “You gonna tell me just why you were looking to beat the crap out of Rin yourself not more then a half hour before you stood up for her?”
 
Bankotsu grimaced and looked to the clouds, letting the tiny droplets of rain run down his face, trying to let it wash away prior sins. “Yeah, I was hoping you wouldn't hear about that.” he turned to his friend and wrinkled his nose. “Look, she was getting mouthy before, and you know my temper ain't that great; throw some liquor on the fire and I explode. She pissed me off by hurting Hiten, though I'm sure he deserved it then as he did later that night. But I wasn't going to allow her to simply kick Hiten in the balls for being a guy; it was uncalled for. If she had kicked Hiten, however, when we were downstairs, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.” He looked to the ground and studied the sidewalk as if it were a new species. “So…how is she? Was she okay?”
 
InuYasha bit his lip then nodded. “She ended up with my brother in a pool and more things happening that I think may have caused me to go partially blind after walking in on it.”
 
Bankotsu laughed wryly and punched InuYasha in the shoulder, “what did I tell you about live action porn? Not a good thing to get into.”
 
InuYasha chuckled and shook his head, “nah, most definitely not something I want to see again.” he shuddered and laughed.
 
Bankotsu held down his smile. “But yeah, I mean, not to justify what Hiten did, cause I can't, but we were fucked up before we got there off some weed and E anyway so him lashing out was pretty much expected.”
 
All mirth evaporated from InuYasha's face as his friend's words soaked in. turning slowly, he felt the scowl build on his face. “You two are still fucking yourselves up on that shit?”
 
Bankotsu cleared his throat and shoved his hands into his pockets, looking slightly uncomfortable. “Well…I was only high, Hiten was tripping though. He does a shit load more drugs now then before. He'll mix shit and get himself high for three days. It wasn't that bad, that night…but back in Kyushu, he'd get himself so stoned he'd wake up in another city with three days of his life missing. He'd laugh about it as if it were the prefect road trip. I kept telling him that he had to ease up. I mean, don't think I'm saying I'm a pussy and I ain't taking hits of crystal meth or anything…but I ain't stupid like Hiten.” He fell short of his words and looked down.
 
InuYasha shook his head slowly, disgust lingering in his mouth. `And I used to be like them…high for two days at a time, unable to account for certain time I spent god knows doing what.' He shivered at the thought of the things he had done without recollection, a feeling of remorse eating away again at his gut. Taking heed of Bankotsu, InuYasha shoved his hands into his bomber's pockets and slowly began walking back to the school. “If you excuse me, I have a girl to protect and an asshole wolf to castrate.”
 
Bankotsu held out a hand and clamped down on InuYasha's shoulder. “We…we should hang out again, like what we used to, ya know? Just chill out and relax…”
 
InuYasha paused, his face turning to an ambiguous status, “maybe…I just ain't cool with some of the shit we used to do. I don't need to be around it.”
Bankotsu nodded and slowly removed his hand, “I ain't talking about doing a crack pipe, Inu…I'm just saying I'll break out Banyruu and I'm sure I have you're old electric somewhere and we'll just jam.”
 
InuYasha laughed weakly and held out his hand, “it sounds like a plan…minus the crack pipe. I ain't saying I'm gonna drop back into that shit, cause I won't…”
 
Bankotsu latched onto his hand and pulled the boy a little closer, his voice dropping from his normal boisterous cocky tone and the act that normally screamed superiority that lingered in his eyes. He looked around for a moment then hung his head. “Actually…and I've been thinking…” he seemed truly uncomfortable for a long moment as he searched for the right words. He closed his eyes and shook his head, letting go of InuYasha's arm. “Never mind…me and my mouth, right? Just forget it.”
 
InuYasha caught Bankotsu's arm and pulled stopped him from walking away. “no way man, what's up?”
 
Bankotsu looked at InuYasha's hand for a long moment then shook it off. “look, I said forget it. Just let it go.”
 
InuYasha didn't miss the unease that filtered through the boy's face as he shook his head. InuYasha backed off a step and held up his hands, “all right. Just…just know that if you want to talk, I'm here. You can always tell me anything.”
 
Bankotsu nodded in the affirmative and walked towards the doors of the school. “You coming back into school, hoe?”
 
InuYasha nodded and followed his friend into the small building. Bankotsu stopped at the band room and threw a glance towards InuYasha. “me and Hiten got bored…and didn't have shit to do at home…”
 
InuYasha glanced from Bankotsu then to the open door of the band room…or should it be said the broken into band room. With a cocked eyebrow, InuYasha put his head through the door and then sighed, seeing Hiten pulling a guitar out of a closet that he had just jimmied open. He switched his eyes to his friend then sighed. “What's your plan?”
 
Bankotsu threw open the door and strut into the room and then did a slight bow before jumping down two levels towards the center of the amphitheater type room. “Just to do some practice…”
 
InuYasha grunted as a guitar was thrust into his hands. Hiten was at the other end, a small grin building on his face. InuYasha glanced from the electric guitar in his hands to the boy then toward the closet of the band room. “You found that in there?”
 
Hiten shrugged and walked his way back towards the drum set at the top of the room. “Sure…there's lot of fun shit to steal in there!”
 
InuYasha shook his head slowly and sighed before staring at the instrument in his hands. He slowly made his way towards where the other two were gathered with a look of slight trepidation resting in his golden orbs. “Guys…it's been a damn long time…”
 
Bankotsu shrugged and shoved a cigarette into the hanyou's mouth and lit the other end. “It's like falling off a bike, Yash…ain't that hard to get back up.”
 
InuYasha made a face and pulled the cigarette from his lips. “Yeah…I've fallen off a bike before…a motorcycle if I remember correctly cause someone thought it would be interesting to see me ride it drunk. I remember being laid up for three weeks with nearly every bone in my leg shattered.”
 
Hiten shrugged and held up a drumstick, “here's to being a demon with incredible healing powers!”
 
InuYasha took the pic to the guitar from Bankotsu and sighed. “What the hell…a couple tunes won't hurt.”
 
Bankotsu grabbed the silver guitar that sat by his side and threw the purple strap over his head. “Come now, InuYasha…what kind of attitude is that?”
 
InuYasha flipped the boy off then played a few cords for warm up. Closing his eyes, the notes seemed to just flow from his fingertips and in a mere minute of practice, he was rejuvenated with something he hadn't done in nearly seven months. The feeling was…well…electric. He could just about feel the stress flowing from his body as he lost himself in the rhythm. He barely noticed when Bankotsu joined in his rendition of `Fade to Black'.
 
He wasn't sure how long passed as he simply strummed along with his friend but it had to be more then forty minutes. What was supposed to be a five-minute interlude before returning to protect Kagome and Rin turned into an adventure he wasn't so soon about to give up. At some point, he had shrugged off his shirt and was left sitting in his wife beater, a pile of five cigarettes beneath his foot and a smile worth a million dollars on his face. Blaring off the last note to `Price Charming' InuYasha waited for the lead to the next song.
 
“I'm tired of pulling vocals, Inu…I think you need to carry your weight.”
 
InuYasha's head shot up as his eyes widened at the insinuation. “Nah man…I don't sing, you know that.”
 
Hiten performed a rim shot then laughed loudly, “That's a sick joke, you piece of shit. You can sing, you just chose not to, like that fuckin play, not that I damn well blame you. But you can fucking sing, you used to do vocals all the fucking time, and don't tell me you didn't cause then you're a lying piece of shit!”
 
InuYasha flushed slightly and shook his head adamantly, “no way, Hiten…that just ain't happening!”
 
Bankotsu stared at the boy for a moment before beginning a song InuYasha knew all to well. It was the song that had defined the boy's lives up until they were separated back when InuYasha was twelve…they began playing it then and only grew on it when he returned back. Hiten caught on immediately with the drum intro and InuYasha picked up after only a moment. Though Bankotsu was singing, InuYasha couldn't help but add in a few lyrics. InuYasha closed his eyes as the words soothed his soul, a feeling he once knew at least now numbed. “…they point the finger at me again. Guilty by association, you point the finger at me again. I want to run away, never say good bye…”he couldn't help how loud they got with the music or with the singing, he just wasn't ready for what happened next.
 
He smelt her before anyone could notice her standing by the door. His eyes widened yet he couldn't stop playing, he couldn't stop singing. It was something that made his breath catch in his throat, knowing that she was there with them, hearing him do something he swore never to do. His eyes closed and finished the song and made a decision. It was a long coming one, something he knew he would have to do sooner or later. The boys had started another song but stopped when they saw the determination in his golden eyes. Turning his eyes to the door, he cleared it and called “come on in Princess, you know the doors open and I know you're there.”
 
Kagome flushed on the outside of the door, her eyes wide and then grimaced. Man was he going to lay into her for this. She gently prodded the door open and threw a small, embarrassed smile towards Bankotsu who rolled his eyes with a somewhat sideways grin hid on his face. A hand wrapped around her waist and she squeaked before she was pulled into a chair in front of her lover. His eyes locked onto hers and she found herself unable to look away. There was something there…something she had never seen present in him before. Sure, he ranted about it all the time but never had she seen so much confidence in his eyes.
 
InuYasha took a deep breath and let it out slowly. With a final confirmation, he reached out with two fingers and ran them lightly over her right cheek and gave her a slow nod. “I owe you one, Kagome…one I don't think I'll ever be able to pay you back for. This is the least I can do…”
 
Kagome tilted her head to ask what was going on when he glanced up to the other two boys who were behind Kagome. Bankotsu rolled his eyes and seemed like he was about to leave before finally dropping into his chair with an obscenely loud sigh and picked up his guitar. Hiten rolled his eyes as well and seemed rather disgusted but didn't move.
 
InuYasha began the opening notes, Hiten joining in with the drums as InuYasha closed his eyes and began the song …the one song he knew he could offer to Kagome as an explanation to his life, an answer from his soul to hers. He heard her gasp as the first words left his mouth, quite possibly amazed that he could manage to carry a tune, and carry it well.
 
 
“And it's been awhile
Since I could hold my head up high
And it's been awhile
Since I first saw you
And it's been awhile
Since I could stand on my own two feet again
And it's been awhile
Since I could call you

And everything I can't remember
As fucked up as it all may seem
The consequences that I've rendered
I've stretched myself beyond my means”
 
 
InuYasha glanced to Kagome and saw the tears brimming in her eyes. She understood…and to InuYasha that was all that mattered. He swallowed down the small lump building in the back of his throat and blinked a few times before forcing on with the song.
 
 
“And it's been awhile
Since I can say that I wasn't addicted
And it's been awhile
Since I can say I love myself as well
And it's been awhile
Since I've gone and fucked things up just like I always do
And it's been awhile
But all that shit seems to disappear when I'm with you”
 
 
InuYasha heard the sob escape Kagome's lips but couldn't bring himself to meet her eyes. He was sure that if he saw her crying, he would lose it. His hands shook as he tried to steady himself; this was something he owed her. His mother had once told him that music and singing was the best way to express your feelings, that to offer a girl a song was to offer someone your heart.
 
“And everything I can't remember
As fucked up as it all may seem
The consequences that I've rendered
I've gone and fucked things up again

Why must I feel this way?
Just make this go away
Just one more peaceful day!”
 
 
 
It amazed InuYasha to hear Bankotsu backing him up in the song; a part of him was sure that his friends would abandon him when they realized he was going to get sappy with Kagome in the music. Yet as his eyes shifted past Kagome to meet Bankotsu, he saw the gleam of an understanding filtering through his friend's eyes. Bankotsu nodded once, performing the backup lyrics with a voice that InuYasha was sure could one day earn him millions. He switched his glance towards Hiten who was sporting a rather sour glare on his face, directed at Bankotsu. InuYasha dragged his attention away from the Youkai, sure that the two boys would settle there differences later on. They were like brothers, and though Hiten was sure to be pissed that Bankotsu was finally supporting Yash's decision to be with Kagome, he would come around. InuYasha turned back to meet a glassy pair of doe like brown eyes, ones that were windows to her soul. She was absorbing every word, hanging on every syllable, and finally getting that glimpse into the world that InuYasha so vigorously hid from everyone.

 
“And it's been awhile
Since I could look at myself straight
And it's been awhile
Since I said I'm sorry
And it's been awhile
Since I've seen the way the candle lights your face
And it's been awhile
But I can still remember just the way you taste

And everything I can't remember
As fucked up as it all may seem to be I know it's me
I cannot blame this on my father
He did the best he could for me

And it's been awhile
Since I could hold my head up high
And it's been awhile
Since I said I'm sorry”
 
 
The words slipped from the hanyou's lips as he slowly met her tear filled eyes. Letting the guitar slid down his lap, he opened his mouth to say something, anything but no words would form. He mouthed `I'm sorry' and closed his eyes, his head hanging low. This song was his requiem, a song that he had done only in the solitude of his own room and once with the boys. Not even on the highest of acid trips had he dared to perform it and yet it was always in his mind. It was the song of his soul.
 
Kagome nearly threw herself into his arms. Wrapping them around his neck and sitting sideways on his lap, Kagome buried her face in his neck and sobbed silently. The tears that flowed weren't that of sadness or of distraught; they were tears of happiness, tears of knowing that what InuYasha had just performed was music from the depths of his heart, music from his soul. The words were his, asking her to understand the way he was, the way he had been…the words were those of his life. Kagome lifted her face to press her forehead against his right cheek. Her mouth fell open as his arms tightened around her waist. “I love you…so much!”
 
InuYasha pressed against her cheek and nodded slowly, “and I you, koibito.” He lifted his eyes and blinked twice, realizing his two friends were gone. A smile slowly spread on his lips as he slowly shook his head. Those guys, though engaging in activities he wouldn't normally agree with, weren't half bad. He returned his attention to Kagome and kissed her forehead before capturing her lips with his.
 
Kagome poured her heart out in the kiss, allowing him all the access he wished for her mouth, to her heart. Pressing her hands to his back, she deepened the kiss allowing his tongue to swab her mouth for a moment before pulling back and running her hands through his silver hair. “By the gods, how I love you…”
 
InuYasha glanced around the room then sighed. Regretfully, he pulled away from Kagome and put a hand on her shoulder. “Baby…we can't…not today.”
 
Kagome flustered almost immediately and looked to her hands. “I didn't mean…well…not here, at least.” Her head turned up to meet his eyes as a question began to form. “Why…can't we…tonight?”
 
The sly grin that InuYasha was trademarked for returned with a passion. “What's the matter Kag, got something you want me to take care of?” he slid his hands into her lap, letting one wrap around her waist to keep her on his lap and the other onto her knee. “Feeling…frustrated? If I knew that was all it took…”
Kagome slapped InuYasha's shoulder then moaned lightly as he dragged his appendage up her thigh to rest on the waistband of her low cut jeans. She swallowed hard and bushed against his hand. “Not like that at all…I just…”
 
InuYasha smirked and patted her hip then pushed her to stand on her feet. “Good…because it's the full moon and we ain't ready for ankle bitters. Besides, you need to go back to baby sit Rin.”
 
Kagome narrowed her gaze at the hanyou and crossed her arms. “No, I don't…” her eyes widened slightly as she realized her slip. She rushed, “…cause she's…in the bathroom…”
 
It was as if someone turned on some sort of alarm. All the warning bells that existed to mankind went off in InuYasha's head as he jerked up to glower at Kagome. “What do you mean, no you don't?” he grabbed her head as she tried to flee the room like an idiot. Forcing the girl between his knees, he locked her in place, his hands on her wrists forcing the girl to remain still. “Look at me, Kagome.”
 
Kagome glanced at the hanyou and grimaced. He seemed furious. She took a deep breath and stared down at the floor. “No…”
 
InuYasha let go of one hand and grabbed her chin, yanking her to face him. “Why?”
 
Kagome shifted uncomfortably in her stop and grimaced. “Because you'll yell…”
 
InuYasha growled as he sat up a little straighter. `Oh this is not good!' he swallowed once, counting backwards from ten in his mind then asked with as much reason as he could, “why…why would I yell? Where is Rin, Kagome?” he knew he sounded almost frantic but wasn't to far from the truth. Sesshoumaru would skin him alive.
 
Kagome blanched and finally meet his eyes. “She…she told me that you would be pissed if I told you…because you have been against Sesshoumaru taking Rin to see Yamaoto. But Rin felt like she needed to go, so she had Sesshoumaru pick her up right after chorus…”
 
InuYasha's eyes widened as he shot to his feet. “What the hell are you talking about? Sesshoumaru is with Ryen…and they would not take her to see Yamaoto!”
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed slightly in confusion. “But…Rin said Sesshoumaru was picking her up.”
 
InuYasha grunted and grabbed his shirt and threw it onto his body. “Fuck me sideways! Kagome…I talked to Sesshoumaru a little less then an hour ago. He said he and Ryen were just leaving the prison where Naraku is.”
 
Kagome gulped, her world suddenly starting to shrink. “But…then Rin lied…”
 
InuYasha was already halfway to the door. “Tell Kenchi you're leaving…we got to find her, and now!”
 
~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~
 
OFF> dum, dum, dum, dum….
 
Blanket Disclaimer: I don't own the canon characters, so don't sue…I do own Ryen (he's so in my closet) so don't use… I also sadly don't own the lyrics from Stained `It's Been a While' nor Linkin Park `Runaway'. ja ne!
 
-so, I hate to be the bringer of bad news but guys, we have about five chapters to go. X_X. I can't believe it's almost over! But it is…and then we got three epilogues to cover and then…then…::wails in seat on train:: we're done.