InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Obsidian Night ( Chapter 76 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the dragon~<>~
 
 
~<>~ Chapter 76 ~<>~ Obsidian night
 
 
 
The night sky was thick with clouds, desolate without light or the guidance of the moon. There was no shadow cast into the living room of the grand chateau and yet the two figures sat quiet, melancholy, and exhausted. Perched in the bay window of the ancient house, the older of the two had his lover cradled in his lap, his arms wrapped securely around her shoulders like a shawl and his chin placed firmly on her shoulder; his white hair draped around the two like a blanket, yet his eyes were anything but comforting. They were just as clouded as the night sky, just as turbulent and unwelcoming. InuYasha stared out into to bleak night sky as his thoughts traveled to the happenings of the day. They had searched the two houses top to bottom and then leaving Kagome at the house by herself, he had searched the grounds of the house to be sure she wasn't hiding. He had been on the phone nearly all night with his terror-stricken brother, trying to keep him calm and to try to verbally inhibit the two Youkai on the other end from killing each other. Patience was wearing thin and the antagonizing between the parties was grating on all's sanity. InuYasha had called in Miroku and Sango to help with the search, which turned and enlisted Souta and Kohaku as well. Before they knew it, half the school's populations were on the streets looking for Rin. And yet the girl had successfully vanished, not a trace of where Rin had been or was currently existed. Sesshoumaru and Ryen were at the police station right now, placing calls around the city to see if they could figure out anything. Miroku and Sango were on their way back to the Taisho chateau and Sesshoumaru was pulling his hair out. InuYasha cursed silently and shook his head, fighting down the urge to strike out at the world. How had this happened? How did this slip by his eyes? Even though Sesshoumaru had said, in nothing short of a quick dismissal, that he didn't blame InuYasha, InuYasha blamed himself. He had spent most of the night calming Kagome down, who was blaming herself as well. With a grimace set in stone, InuYasha glanced down to the trembling girl in his arms.
 
Kagome had her knees drawn up into her chest, her back against InuYasha's chest and her head on her knees. Though she had stopped the tears from flowing an hour prior, her body still shook with uncontrollable tremors of sobs that threatened to break surface. No one would ever be able to tell her that this wasn't her fault; she had allowed Rin to leave school without so much of a question and now she faced the fact that it may have led to her friend's death. InuYasha had spent the latter part of the evening trying to convince Kagome that Rin was indeed still alive, and yet he lacked any conviction on his own part. Kagome closed her eyes and pled with the moon…pled with the kamis…to allow her best friend to still be alive. After everything Rin had been through, after all of the pain and suffering, Rin deserved to come out on top. Why she would do anything so stupid was beyond Kagome. Rin knew the risks on her life, she knew of those who wished to get at her. Why would she leave by herself? Kagome sighed loudly only to have InuYasha's arms tighten around her. She closed her weary eyes and shook her head slowly. The urge to sleep had never been greater and yet every time she closed her eyes, all she could imagine were the possibilities that her friend faced. She sniffled and opened her eyes slowly.
 
InuYasha turned his eyes to glance at his girlfriend and sighed lightly. His voice was low, tired, worn; “Kag…you should try to sleep.”
 
Kagome shook her head numbly. “I can't…every time I close my eyes…i…I see…” she trailed off and sighed again, a fresh batch of tears pulling at her bloodshot eyes.
 
InuYasha shrugged and let his hands fall to her sides, brushing across the cold metal of the instrument that lay at her side. His eyes fell to the Beretta that was nestled against the couple and he sighed louder. He had pulled it out of its position in the cupboard to give to Kagome while he searched the ground, just incase anyone was stupid enough to attack. She wouldn't let it out of her sight after that. InuYasha would normally have taken it as a knock to his ability to protect her and a question to that judgment but he knew better. She was scared shitless about her friend and if it offered solace, he would allow her to keep the gun by her.
 
The obsidian night was breeched by a dim headlight that trailed up the long driveway towards the front door. InuYasha was on his feet before the motorcycle could reach the front door. He glanced at Kagome who had one hand on the barrel of the gun and he nodded solemnly.
 
InuYasha walked out the double doors of the mansion as the bike came to a rest at the bottom of the steps. Poised ready for battle, InuYasha glowered at the mysterious rider. As recognition dawned across the hanyou, it did little to ease his troubled nerves. He watched the human dismount the bike and felt the growl grow in his throat. He crossed his tanned arms slowly and leaned against the frame of the doors. “Bankotsu…what the hell are you doing here now…at three am?”
 
Bankotsu paused, his back to the hanyou then sighed pointedly. He shoved off his helmet and dropped it onto the seat of the bike and turned to InuYasha, his eyes slightly bloodshot and was looking rather frazzled. He closed his eyes and cursed softly under his breath then swallowed hard. His hands shook, one of the first things that InuYasha noticed, and that worried the demon. Bankotsu ran a hand through his loose black hair and then threaded them through as he tired to gain control of his emotions that were quickly beginning to spin out of his grasp. “Yash…I…” he shook his head again and kicked at the dirt, unwilling to meet his friend's meticulous gaze.
 
InuYasha stood up straight and hopped down the three steps to reach his friend. He had never seen Bankotsu look so disheveled in his life and it concerned him. “What's going on, Bank?”
 
Bankotsu opened his mouth a couple times but only managed to get out a dry rasp. Finally with a harsh tremble of his limbs and the breaking of his emotionless barrier, he lifted his eyes to his friend, absolute horror etched in the aqua orbs. “You didn't answer your cell phone…I've been trying to call you all night.”
 
InuYasha narrowed his eyes then glanced at his phone. “I didn't get your call…I've been on it practically all night.”
 
Bankotsu shifted his weight on his feet as he fidget under the eye of his friend. He wanted to comment as to the cell phone incident…the truth though was that he wasn't man enough to do it over the phone. This was something, he realized with dread and after a phone call that abandoned him to the world, which he had to do face to face. He knew he was a dead man, especially if Sesshoumaru overheard. But he owed it to his best friend...and he had to get it off his chest. “I got to talk to you.” he blanched as he tried to play it cool, “Is Sesshoumaru here?”
 
InuYasha shook his head negatively then gestured towards the house. “It's fuckin' cold out…let's take this inside.”
 
Bankotsu shook his head and shoved his hands into his pockets. “No…I think it's best to keep this out here. I…that is…me and…and…” he closed his eyes and wished away the knowledge of his friends death to the back of his mind. “When Hiten and me…” he stopped and sighed loudly. Lifting his eyes to meet InuYasha's curious one, he broke. “We came here, InuYasha…with a few more motives then taking you back to Kyushu.”
 
InuYasha's eyes instantly darkened as he slowly uncrossed his arms, suddenly more alert and aware then he had been all day. Like seeing a wave coming at his head, InuYasha knew he was about to be dragged under into icy waters. “Such as?”
 
Bankotsu took one hand from his pocket, his eyes darkening as InuYasha flinched, as if waiting for a gun to be produced. He laced it through his hair and stared up into the dark sky. “We…we were told, among other things, to keep you busy…and to distract you away from your brother and his mate…”
 
InuYasha felt the growl building in the back of his throat before he could even move. He knew he didn't like where this was going. With the last bit of patience he possessed, he asked rationally, “by whom?”
 
Bankotsu began to pace, his eyes staring at the dirt. “At first, all we thought was that we could just take you back to Kyushu…that it would be like how it was before the move. It was made to sound as if you were being held captive, and if we could just sweep in to rescue you, it would be like old times. After the shit we went though when you left, with the gang's retaliation and our expulsion…it was a welcome dream. I think…I think Hiten wanted it more then me. But…when we got here, we realized how hard it was going to be. They started giving us more orders; to report the activity between Rin and Sesshoumaru…to tell them of your plans…but…”
 
InuYasha's hand wrapped around Bankotsu's throat before the human could continue. Throwing the human against the brick house, InuYasha closed the distance between the two. His claws pricked into Bankotsu's throat as he growled venomously, “who the hell sent you?”
 
Bankotsu's eyes locked onto InuYasha's as he accepted his fate. “Naraku.”
 
The punch didn't surprise either boy, as Bankotsu's head spun one way, his jawbone cracking on impact. He was dropped onto the ground and a foot quickly embedded its way into his gut. InuYasha ran a hand over his mouth and walked in a tight circle before kicking Bankotsu again. “How the hell could you sell me out?” the pain that InuYasha had felt all night was numbed by the sudden pain of betrayal. He had known that Bankotsu was trouble, but he had never thought him capable of such deceit.
 
Bankotsu coughed up a small amount of blood…probably from his split lip and grunted, “I didn't know…how fucked up he was. I didn't know what he did to Rin.”
 
InuYasha's eyes widened as he growled dangerously, “you piece of shit, I can't fucking believe you!”
 
Bankotsu shook his head and wiped the blood off his chin that spilt down from his lip. “Believe me or not, it's the truth. I know my word…with you…is probably shit right now, but you got to listen to me!”
 
InuYasha's eyes open as his eyebrows disappeared under his bangs. “I got to listen to you? No, Bankotsu…I ain't got to do shit! What I should do, however, is kill you!”
 
Bankotsu took the blow from InuYasha with no returned effort. Sliding across the pavement, the human didn't even have time to catch his breath before the pissed off Inu-hanyou had him in his grasp again. InuYasha turned Bankotsu around and slammed him into the wall of the house.
 
“Why…why would you work for Naraku? Why?”
 
Bankotsu shook his head slowly, “I…I don't know what the hell I was thinking! I just…he offered us major cash and some good supplies to drugs if we would be able to convince you to come back with us to Kyushu. That's how it started. That's why we came here.”
 
InuYasha slowly shook his head, “so the rave…that was all…”
 
Bankotsu swallowed hard and spit to the side, a broken tooth and blood rained down on the pavement. “It was Naraku's set up. He said he wanted more…he wanted us to get you to walk away from Kagome that night. But you didn't…and before you ask, I don't know what he would have done if you had. Fuck man, I figured when he told us about you two that it wasn't anything serious, like how you were with Kara. Then when I saw…when I really saw…it was to late. Hiten…Hiten never believed you were in love, not really. He said it couldn't happen…that guys like us aren't wanted. But I came to realize…”
 
InuYasha pulled him away from the wall only to slam him against it harder. “Fuck your rationalizations, I don't give a damn. What else did Naraku have you set up? What else in my life did you instigate? How bad were you planning on fucking me over? How fast were you going to hand Kagome over to that sick fuck? He would have raped her, Bankotsu, if he got his hands on her. How could you not realize that?”
 
Bankotsu shook his head miserably, “I wasn't…I didn't want to fuck you over, not after I realized everything!” he ran his hand down his chin to crack his jaw back into place. “Naraku didn't set me up for anything more…nothing, man…not a damn thing. He wanted us to drag you out a couple nights; I got the message from his bitch that worked for him. Tsubaki…”
 
InuYasha's eyes darkened, “you knew all along that Rin's shrink…”
 
Bankotsu shook his head, “No, I figured it out maybe three days ago…that she was how Naraku was getting at Rin. When you told me about Rin's episode after Kyoto, I realized that…that…” he rolled his eyes and looked away from the hanyou, “…they're plotting, InuYasha…and it's evil. They started stepping up their orders a few days ago…telling us our time was up. They…”
 
InuYasha's mind wandered from the teenager's words to remember his trip back to Kyushu and his two days of unconsciousness. “You fucking spineless coward! You weren't even fucking planning on allowing me to return from Kyushu a month ago, were you? After you two shit heads attacked me in the field…at my mother's grave, you weren't planning on letting me go! I just got fuckin' lucky Ryen showed up, is that how it is?”
 
Bankotsu was ready for the blow, as InuYasha's fist met his right cheek. He felt his two wisdom teeth crack and he grunted in pain, his focus beginning to blur slightly. He couldn't pass out…not yet. He had to come clean to his best friend and he needed to tell them that they were all in danger. “Listen to me, InuYasha…I know I fucked up. Hiten wanted to keep you there; he struck you down without telling me…then we argued. That's why you were in the field for two days…I wouldn't let him go collect you, I knew if he had…worse things would have happened.” He dropped his head and shaded his eyes with his bangs. “I…I called your uncle. I never told Hiten, but I called your uncle and tipped him off where to find you. I'm not sure if he knew it was me… I realized then that something was wrong, that Naraku had more insidious plots then just relocating you away from Kagome. When I realized the sick fuck's intentions, I told Hiten to back off. That we were going to keep pestering you, but you weren't going anywhere. He didn't understand…but I insisted that we follow you, in case you needed backup.”
 
InuYasha threw the boy harder at the wall, “the fuck I am going to believe that!”
 
Bankotsu grunted with pain, his eyes beginning to fill with unwanted tears; tears of remorse, of knowing he betrayed his kin. “InuYasha…where's Rin?”
 
InuYasha wrapped his hand around Bankotsu's neck and squeezed, “that's what I would love to know. Where the hell is Rin, Bank? Since you're so fucking buddy-buddy with Naraku, why don't you enlighten me! What did you do?”
 
Bankotsu closed his eyes and sighed hard. Muttering to himself, he slowly put his head back to give into the exerted pressure on his neck by the hanyou, “I told him to stop…damnit, he did it anyway. That's why…it's happening.”
 
InuYasha's eyes darkened. “What the hell are you rambling about?”
 
Bankotsu lifted his gaze to stare at InuYasha in a more shell-shocked way. He hadn't wanted to believe to news…he had received the call less then an hour prior. A body of a boy was found on railroad tracks…after inspection, they knew it to be an orphan from Kyushu, staying in Tokyo with one Bankotsu Tanaka. His mouth moved a number of times, yet no words would come out. He understood…and the truth had never been so painful. He had yet to really admit it, he was still in shock over the news. It was like being underwater and trying to breathe, not really fully aware that you were killing yourself. “Hiten's dead.”
 
InuYasha's eyes widened as his hands fell limply to his sides. He gawked for a moment before slowly shaking his head, his hands slowly beginning to tremble. “What? What do you mean…”
 
Bankotsu pulled out of InuYasha's grasp and closed his eyes. “I was called by the Tokyo Police precinct 42. They…they found his body in the subway station down near the east side of town. He…” Bankotsu closed his eyes and shook his head, “he wouldn't listen to me…I tried to warn him! I tried, I really did!” he wasn't sure when he fell to his knees, all he knew was that his blood brother was dead…shot three times and thrown into the tracks of a subway. “Gods…what if he was alive before…and…”
 
InuYasha felt his legs grow into lead weights that pulled him to his knees. Sinking to the ground besides his friend, his eyes mirrored Bankotsu's pain. “I…oh god…” All betrayals seemed so trivial in that moment. A life had been claimed…and another hung in the balance. InuYasha could be mad…and he would be later if they lived through this…but it was happening, Bankotsu was right. People were beginning to die, and no matter how angry he had been at Hiten for his actions against Rin, he was still a brother. InuYasha felt as if someone had stabbed him in his heart and he was simply watching the attacker walk away, helpless to stop him or her, helpess to take revenge. `Hiten's dead…'
 
The boys sat on the steps for what felt like hours yet the moon hardly moved. The front door creaked opened slowly, yet both boys were oblivious. Light footsteps tapped across the cold cement and a tender voice shattered the night's embrace. “InuYasha…what happened?”
 
InuYasha reached over with one arm and caught Kagome around her waist. Pulling her down gently to rest in his lap, he simply stared straight ahead. “Hiten's dead.”
 
Kagome felt her mouth drop open as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders to embrace her lover. Though she hadn't liked the boy, despised was a better term, she could never…no, would never wish death on anyone whose name was not Naraku. Hugging her boyfriend for all she was worth, she gently cooed, “Oh gods, I'm sorry! Oh InuYasha…”
 
Bankotsu shook his head and forced himself onto his feet. “If they killed him…then they made a move. I knew it, something told me after we learned all this bullshit that we couldn't trust them, but he wouldn't listen…he didn't want to hear it! Well, hell…I hope he hears it now. I hope he realized I was fucking right!” Bankotsu walked in a tight circle then ran a hand over his face. In three hours, the boy felt as if he had aged ten years. “It had to be Naraku's men…no one else would have done that. He must have…damnit, he must have decided to go after her.”
 
Kagome's head snapped towards the boy as she tried to lift herself out of InuYasha's lap. “Her…you mean Rin? Do you know where she is?” she snapped her head back around to stare at InuYasha. “Is he saying what I think he's saying?”
 
InuYasha wrapped his arms around Kagome and held onto her thin hips. To the girl, he murmured, “just relax…we've already…talked…about it.” he took a deep breath and lifted his face to stare at Bankotsu. “I don't doubt that it's Naraku's men that have Rin. Otherwise, we would have found her by now. Where would they have taken her?”
 
Bankotsu walked in a circle and ran his hands through his hair. “I don't know.”
 
Kagome pulled at InuYasha's hands then whipped her head around to stare at InuYasha. “Let me up, we'll find out where Rin is…if this bastard knows…” she turned around and yelled, “damnit, Bankotsu…hasn't she been through enough? Do you know what they're doing to her…what they will do to her? Damnit, she's suffered enough!” tears began to stream down her face again as she pulled in vain at InuYasha's arms. “Let me up! Where is she? Where the hell is she?”
 
Bankotsu grimaced and walked back to the couple. Dropping to a crouch in front of the pair, he gazed straight into Kagome's eyes. “I owe you an apology. I…I misjudged you from the start…and I…I didn't want to believe that Yash was happy without his friends around…”
 
Kagome tried to lung at the boy, only to be foiled by InuYasha's hold on her torso. “Fuck apologies. Where the hell is Rin? You bastard, what did you do to her? Who did you sell her out to?”
 
Bankotsu fell backwards when Kagome tried to kick him, which lead to InuYasha locking his ankles around her legs. “I don't know!” he scooted backwards away from the angry female and then sat up straight. “If Naraku's thugs got her…they would have taken her to the clinic. If it was…if it was Naraku…”
 
Kagome stopped struggling as her face lost all color. “That's impossible…Naraku's in jail!”
 
Bankotsu nodded numbly, “for now…but once Rin's officially MIA, Naraku's charges will be dropped.”
 
InuYasha was the first to recover from the shock. “That's insane! The state has so much shit on Naraku, they would never let him off!”
 
Bankotsu shook his head gravely. “No…they had shit on his father Diegosan. The rest is insubstantial.”
 
Kagome blanched as she turned pleading eyes up to InuYasha. “They…they wouldn't! What about the tape? Insubstantial my ass!”
 
Bankotsu's voice shattered the remaining hope that was instilled in the girl's mind. “Naraku's thugs raved for weeks over how they had managed to `lose' most of the damaging material against Naraku. Why do you think so many crime bosses run free? Ryen may have reformed the police station…but he can't turn everyone good with the snap of his fingers. Naraku has men infiltrated all corners of society, ready to purge those against Naraku out of existence. His men are the one's who gathered the evidence…do you really think it wasn't tainted in the process? Come on now!”
 
InuYasha stared down at Kagome, who had fallen mute and was slightly withdrawing from the boy and curling herself into his chest. He lifted his eyes, as if held by weights, to stare at Bankotsu. “If Rin is incapacitated and unable to testify…Naraku walks, is that what you're saying?”
 
Bankotsu nodded slowly, his eyes narrowing to slits. “I'm going to avenge Hiten…he didn't deserve to die like that!”
 
Kagome chewed on her bottom lip, tears swelling in her eyes. Finding InuYasha's gaze, she ventured fearfully, “I…if Naraku escapes, and they have Rin, he'll…” her body shook with one sob as the dam broke once again. “This is all my fault!”
 
InuYasha grunted as the girl turned in his lap and nearly tackled them both onto their backs. InuYasha held her as the tears started again, stroking her hair gently as she cried. “Bank…you know what Naraku will do…we need to stop him. Do you know where else they could have taken her?”
 
Bankotsu paused and thought for a moment before widening his eyes, “Tsubaki has a clinic!”
 
Kagome sniffled and lifted her head to gaze back at Bankotsu. “Did you say Tsubaki?”
 
Bankotsu nodded slowly, “she's one of Naraku's men and has been Rin's psych, apparently.”
 
Kagome's back stiffened as she shot back around to gaze at InuYasha. “Inu…Tsubaki…remember the photos? She went to school with…”
 
“Ryen!” InuYasha cursed and set Kagome to the side before jumping to his feet and pulling out his cell phone. “Damnit, the old man has a shit load of explaining to do.”
Bankotsu stroked his chin then reached out and snatched away the cell phone from InuYasha and slammed it shut. “Wait…now I want you to seriously consider this, InuYasha. How do you know that Ryen isn't siding with Naraku? How do you know you can trust him?”
 
InuYasha glowered at the boy and narrowed his eyes. “I have no reason not to trust him…”
 
Bankotsu shook his head slowly; “you trusted me…and I hate to turn myself into a bad guy, cause I'm a reformed bad guy…”
 
InuYasha walked over and snatched the device away from Bankotsu. “I like to trust my kin, it's something I'm learning to do. If I trust a single person in this world, and if you repeat this, I'll kill you, it's my brother. And if Sesshoumaru trusts Ryen…”
 
Kagome swallowed hard and shook her head slowly, “remember the fight they got into at the clinic? What if that was over trust?”
 
InuYasha sighed loudly and laced his hands into his hair. “I don't fucking know! Damnit, something is going on and it's gonna be bad and for the love of the Kamis, I need to know who I can trust!”
 
Bankotsu shook his head slowly, “I know it's kind of futile to say this, but I swear on Hiten's body that I won't betray you.”
 
InuYasha shook his head, “sorry Bank…fool me once, shame on you…fool me twice, shame on me. I ain't turning my back to you…not yet. You want my fucking trust back, you're gonna have to earn it. Until then…watch this fucking house. Don't let anyone in who ain't me, Ryen or Sesshoumaru.”
 
Bankotsu sneered and shoved his hands onto his hips. “Like hell! I want a piece of the action! Naraku had my best friend…my fucking brother…shot like a dog! I'm not letting that slip by, no way in hell!”
 
InuYasha growled and took a step towards the boy, “look…there probably ain't gonna be a war right now…”
 
Bankotsu shook his head, “the war already began InuYasha…”
 
InuYasha sighed and rolled his eyes. “Fine…Kagome, get your coat.” watching the girl retreat into the house, he turned to his friend. “I'll say this much, if Sesshoumaru finds out you had any part in this, they will never find all the pieces of your body, and that's saying it nicely. He'll probably pull out your guts through your nose and make you eat them.” Bankotsu blanched and InuYasha laughed wryly. “Keep your mouth shut and so help me god, Bankotsu…if you set me up, I'll kill you!”
 
Bankotsu nodded slowly, “I can't expect to gain back your trust, Inu… but…”
 
InuYasha darted up two steps to meet Kagome at the door. “Save it, I don't want to hear your bullshit. Just help us find Rin then get the hell out of our lives.”
 
Though he was definitely not one of Kagome's favorite people, Kagome could just see the insurmountable hurt that danced across Bankotsu's face at InuYasha's words. Not that she blamed InuYasha, at all. She just knew, as she climbed onto the back of the cycle InuYasha had…borrowed…from Ryen a week prior, that it was going to be a long night.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Dragging their feet behind them, worn from walking block after block, the two Youkai pushed through the glass doors of the precinct. Ryen dropped at the first desk that used to belong to one Unmi Auogowa, until Ryen fired him…along with four fifths of the other staff. To say that they were working on a skeleton crew was a vast understatement. Ryen had gained himself some new employees…ones he could actually trust that included a bunch of undergraduates from Tokyo U. any that worked for him, with exceptions of the three receptionists and the building guard, were on the streets with the same intent that he and his nephew held. Sesshoumaru walked to the coffee pot and poured two large cups of pure black substance and brought one to Ryen before leaning against a filing cabinet. His hands were shaking and threatening to throw the liquid over the edge of the cup. The dark circles were becoming residents under the boy's dull amber eyes and his hair looked as if he had been through a hurricane. Ryen gauged Sesshoumaru's state of being then nodded towards a back room with his eyes never leaving his nephews. “Why don't you get some rest…you're beat, I can see it in your eyes.”
 
Sesshoumaru lifted his eyes to stare at his uncle then took a deep drink from the cup in his hands. He closed his eyes for a minute, allowing the caffeine to rush through his system then shook his head no. “I'm going to head downtown after this. We checked the west side, I'm going to go east and see I can find anything.”
 
Ryen sat back in his seat, his golden gaze penetrating his nephews. “I really think you should rest.”
 
Sesshoumaru scoffed and narrowed his gaze. Trying to hold his façade as the ice prince wasn't easy when running on nearly thirty-eight hours of no sleep and little food. Through the cracks in his visage it was easy to discern the scared teenager who faced the knowledge that his mate could be dead. He was scared…scared shitless honestly. To face life without Rin by his side…to know that he had failed yet another who he loved…was impossible. He wouldn't do it. If Rin were dead, he would swallow a bullet without a second's hesitation. The resentment of the situation, of how this turned out weighed heavily on his tone. “Is that an order, Sergeant?”
 
Ryen winced at the animosity. “No…it was more of a plea towards my disgruntled nephew. If you go to the east side tonight, Sesshoumaru…there is a good chance you won't come back. They aren't that friendly over there…and to strut in there demanding answers; they may just try to take you out. And in your physical state right now…they may be able to do it.”
 
Sesshoumaru sneered and turned away from the older man to refill his cup. “That is why I will not be alone.”
 
Ryen raised an eyebrow; having a distinct belief he knew where this was going. “And who, per say, is going with you?”
 
Sesshoumaru placed a lid over the cup and headed off towards the entrance. “My uncle, whom I still hold responsible for all of this.” He paused and looked over his shoulder, “or should I say the sergeant who knew that there was something going on and failed to do anything about it. I'm sure either of these two figures would love to go with me.”
Ryen pinched the bridge of his nose and groaned. “We have been driving the city…walking the city…hell, running the rooftops…since seventeen hundred hours. Do you really want to do this again?” he shook his head and slowly stood from the desk. “I have cops on that side, good men, Sesshoumaru, who are looking for Rin. Sanzo and Church are there, looking for any clues. If they find anything, they'll let me know.”
 
Sesshoumaru didn't pause walking to the entrance. “Church hasn't the mental capacity to fight his way out of a paper bag…and Sanzo wouldn't give a damn, probably would prefer to shoot someone before getting answers. So you tell me, what good are they?”
 
Ryen walked to the coffee pot and took a cup of decaf. “They are good cops.”
Sesshoumaru scoffed, “they are new blood…they don't know the ropes.”
 
“And you do? You haven't even graduated high school yet, pup, let alone gotten your feet wet. I think they know more then you do about this kind of stuff.”
 
Sesshoumaru spun on his feet with his eyes ablaze in misguided anger. The gauntlet had been cast…the proverbial straw that broke the camels back had been laid. Throwing his cup against the wall, he screamed, “What the hell do you want me to do Ryen? Resign and sit here behind a desk hoping someone will find where my mate is? Maybe…just maybe hoping that someone will find her body so we can at least know she's dead? Damnit, I will not give up on her! I won't…I can't! I can't lose her, Ryen…and by the gods, it's my fault that she walked away without my support. If I had…” he brought his hands up to his face and rubbed his tired eyes, dragging them down his flesh, wishing to tear into himself to rid the guilt from his blood. “By the gods, it hurts so much! You don't know, Ryen, you can't know.” He pushed his back against the nearest filing cabinet and slid to the floor, his eyes staring at the black tiled floor as he slumped in defeat. His voice ached in defeat, riddled with uncertainty and fear. “I don't know what I can do anymore…I just…damnit, I want to know she's okay. I need to find her, Ryen…or it's going to eat me alive.”
 
Ryen knelt down in front of his nephew and put a hand on Sesshoumaru's propped knee. “We'll find her, Sesshoumaru, but running yourself into the ground to do so is futile. I'm going to place a few calls to the local precincts…then to hospitals. If she is around the city, someone will have seen her.”
 
Sesshoumaru's mouth moved a few times but wordless assertions of fear and doubt fumbled his speech. He snapped his jaw shut and shook his head slowly, “I can't just sit here…I'll go crazy.”
 
Ryen sighed deeply and dropped to sit Indian style by the entrance to the station. The ware that ate away Sesshoumaru's hardened exterior was as contagious as a cold and soon began to gnaw at Ryen. His eyes darkened with despair as he rubbed his jaw. “I know…I know how you feel…”
 
Sesshoumaru snapped his head to stare at his uncle. “No, you don't. You left Kagome's mother here…with your brother and your best friend, knowing she would be safe. Rin…Rin has no allies where she is now, and I know she needs them. If he…if Naraku gets his hands on her again…I don't want to know what he'll do to her. She…Rin wouldn't be able to go through it again Ryen, if she's…if they…” he let his words trail off in to the dark realm that they knew they would travel, the unvoiced land of horror and violation. “It would kill her.”
 
Ryen struggled with his words then shook his head slowly. “I know that Rin would not be able to travel the dark path again…that if she were forced, she would….” He sighed again and shook his head. “I saw she was wearing those bracelets again, is there any reason why?”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow, “what bracelets?”
 
Ryen stumbled on his words, and then decided not to make matters worse. If Sesshoumaru had been ignorant to the wounds on his mate, now would not be a good time to let inform him of such. “Never mind. We will find her.”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded dumbly, as if to his own thoughts. “I know…and then I'll destroy Naraku for making me worry. I'll destroy him so the question will never be there again, the threat will be extinguished.”
 
Ryen rubbed his face and then fought his way to his feet. “Why don't you try calling home again and check in with your brother and see if he knows anything. I would say to tell him to get his ass down here but Kagome is a target as well.”
 
Sesshoumaru didn't seem to hear him. “Yeah…maybe…” he stood slowly and walked, as if in a trance, to the phone on the other side of the office.
 
Ryen watched him disappear behind the tinted windows then picked up the phone. Dialing a number for the precinct across town, he waited. “Yes…this is Sergeant Taisho Soryeenans with Precinct 51, badge number 23910. I need information…yes, I'll hold.” Ryen drummed his claws on the polished wood and stared around the bleak office. Things were not good…and he was quite sure that if Rin wasn't home by now, that she was in the enemy's hands. He had tried to guide the kids as much as he could without directly getting involved, as their father had governed him and his brother. `Never stand between the child and their goal' his father had lectured him and his brother when they were younger then InuYasha, `or you will be resented. Instead, cultivate the dream, help it grow…but never interfere.' Ryen scoffed and shook his head. `Well…that dogma got me nowhere fast. Now I have a suicidal Youkai with enough power in one finger to level this entire fucking city and another who is one day going to repopulate the city his brother destroyed with his own pups. Where did I go wrong, I wonder?' sarcasm colored his words as he kicked back his chair to rest on the two back legs. A voice returned to the phone and Ryen sighed. `I need to know if you have had a girl by the name of Rin Takisho on your premises…or if she had stopped by. …I see. Yes, that Takisho…yes I am well aware that she is the one who put Onigumo behind bars. …No, I'm not saying that she has been kidnapped, I'm merely interested in her whereabouts. …That's none of your damn business, thanks.” Ryen moved to hang up the phone then paused. “…What boy? In the subway on fifth and Guishen? No…I hadn't heard. Do they…they did? …Oh…” Ryen's face lost color as the name of the boy resonated in his ears. “Thank you, that's beneficial. How? Sorry, that's confidential.” He dropped the phone onto the cradle before another question could be asked. He groaned once and rubbed his eyes. “Sesshoumaru!”
 
Sesshoumaru dragged himself from the desk he had been sitting at…at least he was partially aware he had been sitting at…into the other room. He sat on the corner of his uncle's desk and studied his face. His eyes widened at the perturbed look and his heart hammered once in his chest. It was like all of the caffeine in his system kicked in at that exact moment; his pupils dilated, his breath caught in his throat and his heart doubled in its paces. “What…what is it? What did you find out?” `By the god's, don't let it be Rin…'
 
Ryen sighed again and slowly nodded. “The precinct knew nothing of Rin…but they found a boy dead in a subway down by the edge of the west end.”
 
Sesshoumaru scoffed and stood from the desk, relief washing over him so fast that it threatened to knock him off his feet. Yet his gut…his gut was screaming that it wasn't over, that the news was about to bring his world to its knees. To bad he didn't listen.
 
“It was Hiten…they found him on a subway rail…he's dead.”
 
Sesshoumaru stumbled in his step then whirled around to stare at his uncle, unsure if he heard correctly. “What?”
 
Ryen nodded gravely. “He had, from what they could tell of the remains…a bullet…or three…lodged into his head and has been dead for about six hours.” He stroked his chin then met his nephew's blazing eyes. “I think we need to speak with…”
 
The doors of the precinct flew open, a bitter cold gust of night air assaulted to the two men as InuYasha, Kagome and Bankotsu made their entrance into the station. Ryen raised an eyebrow then looked to the ceiling and mumbled something about only some wishes coming true. “…Bankotsu.”
 
Bankotsu wouldn't meet the cop's gaze and stared intently at the floor, well aware of the sudden feeling of unadulterated hostility that filled the air. He inched away from the frazzled looking Sesshoumaru, somehow finding his state of disarray more threatening then his ice prince routine on any day.
 
Sesshoumaru gazed from his brother to Ryen then to the third boy. Unable to physically threaten him, he dropped his arms to his side, the one time in his life he was willing to plead. His voice shaky, his eyes filled with misplaced hope, he turned his world to Bankotsu. “Do you know…where Rin is?”
 
Bankotsu slowly lifted his aqua eyes to meet those of the demon he had for years feared. It was a knock back to see him so desperate and the pain that suddenly filled the room nearly knocked the wind out of him. He felt like a murderer, as all eyes turned on him. “I…I might…but…if what I think is correct, then time is against us and we got to move fast.”
 
All ears opened as the ideas of hope slowly lifted with the morning sun.
 
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~
 
 
Rin coughed heavily, her eyelids felt as if they would never open. Her lungs burned with the need for oxygen as her entire body convulsed on the bed she had been placed on. The feeling was much like that of the one she had awoken on after being pronounced dead. Cold…metal…unwelcoming; it was a sure fire sign that she was somewhere she didn't want to be. Suddenly all the images from hours prior, that felt like minutes before, flashed before her eyes; the drugs, being chased, Hiten, Yamaoto. She tried to pull her hand up to her mouth to gasp properly but found them locked in place by some type of restraint. She forced her eyes open and gazed around the dimly lit room. It was a sterile room, the walls a dull eggshell, no windows, and a single large metal door. The lights were dim and made it slightly easier for Rin to assess her surroundings. Her arms and feet were both being secured to the gurney she was tied to, and her head felt as if it had been slammed through a metal wall. Splotches of colors rained down in front of her eyes when she tried to move to fast and her equilibrium was completely off. She felt as if she were on a boat, swaying in the gentle current.
 
The echoing grinding of the metal door scraping along the floor filled the room and blared through Rin's ears like firecrackers. She grimaced and squeezed her eyes shut, praying that it would help lessen the throbbing pain. Three figures walked in and shut the door that led to a well-lit hallway. The first and shortest of the three approached the table carefully. Rin narrowed her eyes as if to gain a better line of sight then gasped audibly. She was nearly sure that this woman, based off the angle that the light his her head and illuminated her silver hair, was none other then Launia Taisho…or so she thought. Rin's breath fell into labored pants as the woman paused. If this was Launia, and she had been released from prison, that could only mean that she was in the hands of Naraku. Glancing at her bonds, Rin allowed her body to go slack against the gurney. There was no fighting this, whatever was in store for her, she couldn't ward it off, and she couldn't run away. With a sense of true dramatic irony, Rin chortled and forced out in a rasp, thick voice; “well…I guess I couldn't run forever…now could I?” letting her head hit the rest on the bed, she closed her eyes slowly, “make it fast…I really don't want to have to see him.” How everything had turned around on her so fast was beyond her comprehension. One minute Naraku had been in jail, she had been with Sesshoumaru, and everything finally was beginning to seem, well…normal. For a weekend she had had the life of a normal teenage girl; with her friends, with her love, having fun. `I guess all good things must come to an end' she thought bitterly as she waited for some type of final blow.
 
A short airy and rather piercing laugh echoed from the figure with the silver hair. “Foolish girl, did you really think you could outsmart me?”
 
Rin slowly opened her eyes to stare at the figure next to her. “Dr…Dr. Yamaoto?” Rin rolled her eyes as she realized she was indeed correct. `Great, done in by my psychiatrist…this is wonderful.'
 
Tsubaki Yamaoto clicked her tongue against her mouth as she looked over Rin's state of being. “Tsk, tsk, tsk…Rin, what have you been doing? If you had done everything I told you to, then this wouldn't have to be so painful. Now…now it's going to be.”
 
Rin gave the woman the hardest glower she could manage. “Doesn't this go against your code of ethics, let alone the law?”
 
Tsubaki lifted up a syringe and a small bottle that she shoved the needle into, making show for the young girl. “What ethics? I work for Naraku…or did you forget, oh that's right, you didn't know.” At least she found the humor in her little joke as Rin simply rolled her eyes. “Yes, this entire time I have been working hand in hand with that bastard to destroy you piece by piece. What is sad though, Rin was how fast I was able to turn you against Sesshoumaru. This man, who you claim to love; you were so fast willing to see him as the bad guy, so fast to exile him from your mind.”
 
Rin snapped against the restraints in a dull effort to pull away from the table. “You bitch! I never questioned him! I love him!”
 
Tsubaki wiped her dry eye and sniffed once, “oh teenage love…it makes me sick!” she turned her nose up and threw the now empty bottle across the room. “So, do you want to know why I did it?”
 
Rin glanced from the syringe to the doctor then narrowed her eyes. “Honestly, I don't give a damn. Do what you will to me, but just know that Sesshoumaru won't rest until your burning in hell…where you belong!”
 
Tsubaki stared at the girl then placed the syringe in her pocket. She walked towards Rin and leaned in to her right cheek. “Rin…Sesshoumaru won't live to see Thursday let alone long enough to take vengeance out on me.”
 
Rin fought down the gasp that willed itself to her throat. Swallowing hard, she tried to hold her ground. She could handle the fact that she was about to die, or be hurt, but the thought of this bitch daring the insinuation that Sesshoumaru would be facing death was too much for her. Angrily, she snapped, “Fat chance, bitch! He's smarter then you give him credit for! He'll figure this all out…I don't doubt that he already knows!”
 
Tsubaki smiled and nodded curtly, “oh he does. His uncle made that…crystal…clear when he was threatening me to stay away from you. Stupid man…if he hadn't of opened that insufferably big trap of his; I might not have known that you were onto me. But after your prank in the office today, I knew something was up, so I had our men move.”
 
Rin bit her tongue from lashing out as fear began to chill her bones. “Men? As in more then Hiten?”
 
Tsubaki shrugged and began to pace around Rin's bed. “That's the great thing about assassin's Rin…they can come in pairs.”
 
Rin's mouth fell open slightly. “Bankotsu.”
 
Tsubaki smiled in spite of herself. “I'm sure by now he's killed at least InuYasha and probably Ryen as well. I have a feeling Sesshoumaru will be able to take him down, but the boy is strong…”
 
Rin pulled at her bindings, her eyes ablaze with anger and worry. `No…Sesshoumaru…InuYasha…no, please gods no!' she felt her face morph as hatred pumped through her veins; her eyes darkened, her mouth fell into a sneer and rage burned her cheeks. “You stupid cunt! Damnit let me go so I can kick your ass! You stupid, mother fucking lying manipulative bitch! How dare you!”
 
Tsubaki reached out and gently slapped Rin across her left cheek. “Watch your language, brat…you're already pushing your luck!”
 
Fuck you!”
 
Tsubaki clicked her teeth and stared at Rin's arms. “So…do you want to know what will happen to you?”
 
Rin turned her watering eyes away from the witch that was bent on destroying her life.
 
Tsubaki dramatically monologued anyway. “I'm going to inject you with a mixture that I've spent nearly fifteen years synthesizing. It's a mix of a general anesthetic with a concentrated dose of morphine and a few other surprises. I've been testing different doses on patients that Naraku has so kindly dropped into my lap over these past few years. At first it killed on introduction to the blood stream, but was easy to write off as overdoses since it leaves a chemical trace in the blood to the likes of cocaine. I tired a smaller dose over time and I found that it basically could induce a coma, and if controlled correctly, it could keep a person in a deep sleep for as long as I find it necessary. That means, I inject this into you and you go night-night until I stop injecting you. Unfortunately, the injection is rather painful, since the serum is so thick. I found after some fiddling that it can actually stop the heart if not diluted. So I've come to hook my patients up on morphine drips that keep their muscles numb and once a week, give them their dose of the drug. It keeps them in hibernation, you could say.”
 
Tsubaki laughed as she turned Rin's arm over in the cuff. “You, my dear, had a psychotic episode. You came into the office a mess, threatened my entire staff…even stabbed Botan with a knife you had hidden, but don't worry, she'll recover. We overpowered you and I gave you a muscle relaxant. After that, we took you here under police escort. Your kin will be notified as soon as we can find their bodies.” She worked the thick bracelets on Rin's arms free with a sadistic smile.
 
Rin groaned with shame as the doctor's eyes fell upon her wrists. Knowing she would regret it, she lifted her eyes to meet the doctor's curious glower. “What of it?”
 
Tsubaki met Rin's gaze and laughed loudly. “So…you aren't as stupid as I thought. I was waiting to see something like this, just to know I was getting to you. But you covered it up. Tell me, how did the stench of blood evade the great Sesshoumaru.”
 
Rin felt her face flush as she glanced towards the guards by the door. One was an older man she didn't know, bald and probably in his late seventies. The other was Vincennes. Even if she could take out Tsubaki, there was no way she would make it past those men. She turned slowly to face Tsubaki again, her voice low and guttural. “Does it matter now?”
 
Tsubaki shrugged and worked the other bracelets off her wrist. “Just call me curious.” She ran her fingers over the healing scars on Rin's wrists and her smile brightened. “You used a kitchen knife, ne? I can tell by the way the lines are sliced. But you did it all wrong, Rin…you need to slice…”
 
Rin growled loudly, “shut you're fuckin' mouth, bitch. It's your fault I did this! You put those images in my head; you kept me from sleeping and drove me to the brink of insanity! I thought…I…I couldn't' deal with it anymore. I wanted out, and I chickened out at the last minute. I sat and attempted it time and time again, never cutting deep enough because…because I…” she suddenly shut her mouth and shook her head. The harsh reality of the situation weighed in on her mind and stopped her rant. With a scoff, she looked away. “What does it matter? I'm never going to see Sesshoumaru again.”
Tsubaki shrugged and pulled out the syringe. “It's a shame you didn't at least fuck him once. It's harsh to admit that the only man you've had sex with is Naraku.”
 
Rin's face darkened. “I never had sex with Naraku…he raped me. There's a difference.”
 
Tsubaki shrugged. “Oh, that's the other fun part. While you're unconscious, in a coma that you'll probably never wake up from, Naraku will be released.”
 
Rin's eyes snapped open as she turned to glower at Tsubaki. She had to struggle to find her voice; it felt as if someone had knocked the wind out of her. “W…What?”
 
Tsubaki smiled wickedly. “Without your testimony against Naraku, he's a free man. The rest of the evidence has been…destroyed.” Tsubaki lowered her mouth to Rin's ear, “so all of this, Rin…all of what you have done to protect Kagome and your friends, has been in vain. As soon as he's free, you're heart it going to give out, and Kagome is going to become Naraku's new fuck toy. It was all for nothing.” With that, Tsubaki jabbed the syringe into Rin's arm and the world instantly faded to black. Yet even as she faded, she could swear she heard the cursing of one pissed off Inu Youkai.
 
~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*
 
Three guards pushed back the onslaught of the six-foot-two Inu Youkai as he tried to throw them from his path. He would have killed them had Ryen not explicitly told him otherwise. Hell, he would have done it anyway if the man were not a few feet behind him. The smell around the hospital was making him ill and the smell of crackling energy was almost too much for him. This was more then a sanitary facility that was ridiculously clean, it was a near pure holy ground. They had found the institute with little problem and had barged their way through the first set of security doors with no hesitation. But the further into the large asylum they walked, the harder it got for the Youkai. The only two who seemed immune were Kagome and Bankotsu, yet in Bankotsu's eyes Sesshoumaru could see discomfort. Now three…no, five…guards blocked their way, guns trained on all members of the party. A young girl who Sesshoumaru instantly recognized from the clinic sat at the desk, her brown eyes wide and filled with panic and fear. Sesshoumaru growled again as a faint wisp of Rin's scent assaulted his nose. By the god's he knew she was here and that she was alive. But there was something about her scent, something tainted…possibly heavily medicated. He backed off a step from the guards and flexed his claws. “If you value your pathetic human lives, you will allow this Sesshoumaru to pass and retrieve his mate! Stand down, now!”
 
Ryen paced to Sesshoumaru's side and studied the guns that were leveled at their chests. He reached slowly into his pocket as he slowly spoke, “I am an officer of the law…I am merely retrieving my wallet. I will take no fast action; I wish to show you my badge. Don't do anything brash, gentlemen. I work at the prescient….”
 
The first guard shook slightly in his position against the two and cocked back his gun. “Don't move! Stand down! You are invading a private facility and we will use force to make you leave! I said don't move!”
 
Ryen paused and lifted his golden gaze to rest on the first man's. “I said…I am an officer of the law.”
 
The second guard seemed less resolved then the first. “I…uhh…show us your badge!”
 
The first guard quickly overrode that demand. “Shut the fuck up! I told you, don't fuckin' move!”
 
Ryen slowly nodded and dropped his hand, “okay buddy…I won't move. What I do want though, is to talk to Tsubaki Yamaoto. Just…call her out here.”
 
The girl at the desk gulped loudly. “dr. Yamaoto…is busy right now…with patients. I really have to ask you guys to go…”
 
InuYasha glowered from his position by her desk, his hand firmly attached to Kagome's wrist and spat back at the secretary, “shut the fuck up, bitch. That dike is busy fucking over our friend and handing her to Naraku on a silver platter! We're here to get her back…and if you think a fucking gun is going to stop us, you got another thing coming!”
 
Kagome shot InuYasha a harsh glance then looked at the girl. “Care to tell me why there is such a…holy…feeling around this place. It's like walking into the Vatican….”
 
The girl bristled and stammered for a moment. “It's…just clean. We're a sanctuary for those who need therapy. If you wish to visit a patient, you need clearance; you cannot barge in on them. Most of the people we house here…”
 
Sesshoumaru turned and interrupted with a gruff, “are fuck ups of Naraku's doing and you are simply taking away their free will. We know all about this clinic, as I know that you have my mate back there. And I swear on all that is holy, I will use each and every single one of your bones to tear this structure down piece by piece if you do not let me see Rin!”
 
The girl gulped again and hit a button on her desk rapidly. “You can't go in there…you're not allowed.”
InuYasha frowned then walked towards his brother and uncle. A gun was targeted to his chest and he merely scoffed. “Put away your toy before I shove it up your ass. What the hell is with the holy barrier?” he took another step then growled as Ryen wrapped a clawed hand around his shoulder and yanked him back. he shot the demon an incredulous stare then scoffed.
 
Ryen hissed, “you baka, if you get any closer to those baka's, they will shoot you; and then what good will you be? Besides, you can feel it…you walk closer and you'll be purified!”
 
The door on the side of the desk slid open and Sesshoumaru growled loudly then lunged forward at the black haired woman. Ryen grabbed him by his collar at the last minute, before a bullet whizzed by his ear warning him of the still ominous guards. Sesshoumaru nearly fell to the ground by Ryen's feet from the harsh recoil on his neck then snapped his head to stare at his uncle then back at the woman. “What game are you playing Tsubaki? Where the hell is Rin, what did you do to my mate?”
 
Tsubaki flicked a piece of non-existent lint off her white lab coat and offered a patient smile that was one Sesshoumaru wished he could rip off her face. “I play no games, Sesshoumaru, I take my work quite seriously. As for Rin, I was about to place a call to you, but I see that you beat me to the punch.”
 
InuYasha growled from the opposite side of his uncle, “if this asshole lets me go, I'll show you a punch, you fucking cunt! What the fuck did you do to Rin?”
 
Tsubaki shifted her eyes to dance over the hanyou in her presence with obvious disdain. Speaking with disgust, she sneered, “you must be InuYasha…” she let her words drift off with a sneer then regarded the more stable of the three Youkai, though still the most dangerous. “Ryen, it's…interesting…to see you here. Tell me, what is your…”
 
Ryen tightened his grasp on both boy's collars and grunted, “don't fuck with me Tsubaki. I got these dogs on short leashes and they are craving blood. Unless you wish it to be yours, I sincerely suggest you get Rin and let her go. Now.”
Tsubaki clasp her hands in front of her body, a gleam of malicious sadistic intent sparkled in her teal eyes. “I'm sorry…but I cannot oblige that wish. Rin is ill…”
 
Sesshoumaru growled and clawed at the hand that held him at bay. “She is as you made her! You destroyed her mind! She trusted you…we trusted you…and you betrayed her!”
 
Tsubaki shook her head slowly, “I did nothing of the kind, Sesshoumaru. Rin was unstable to begin with, as you will find in my notes. Mood swings, hallucinations, anger management issues, inability to tell reality from dream…she was a walking time bomb. Well…unfortunately, she exploded. Rin came into my office wielding a knife around four o'clock and demanded answers to conspiracy questions. She was quite delusional. She stabbed my secretary Botan when she approached the girl and we had no choice but to subdue her and place her under a tranquilizer until she could calm down.”
 
Kagome lifted her eyes from the sidelines to meet those of the doctor. “That's a lie, and you know it! You're a doctor, Tsubaki…a real doctor. Don't you have ethics, don't you have morals? You're destroying a teenager's life! You know as well as we do that Rin had no such breakdown!”
 
Tsubaki glanced over towards the other girl as a smile donned her face. “You must be Kagome…I understand now.” she smirked as InuYasha began to growl louder then Sesshoumaru. Turning her attention back to Ryen, she added, “then I removed those hideous bracelets on her arms and saw that she had tried to slit her wrists.”
 
Sesshoumaru's breath caught in his throat as he felt his world crumble around him. His mouth went dry, his eyes widened and his nostrils flared in righteous indignation. “There is no way Rin would attempt to kill herself…none what-so-ever! She would never…” hearing Ryen's short sigh and the wince that was produced stopped Sesshoumaru dead. He turned widened and suddenly horrified golden eyes towards the older man. “She didn't…she wouldn't…”
 
Tsubaki shrugged nonchalantly and made a face. “I don't know how you missed the multiple attempts obviously carved into her wrists, Sesshoumaru…I guess paying little attention to the one you profess to love would be the only feasible way. But whatever the mistake was, she did try it. I'm committing her now, as it's obvious that she is a danger to herself and after her behavior in the clinic, is a danger to others. We'll treat her and when she is more stable, she will be permitted a visitor. Not until then, though. So I'm sorry, but I must insist that you all vacate the premises!”
 
Sesshoumaru fought his way from his uncle's grasp and took a step towards the doctor, his eyes nearly pleading to learn this was all but an elaborate lie. “You're lying…I know you are, I can smell it!” of course it was a lie, but what was one more torch to the existing fire? “You must allow me to see that Rin is safe!”
 
Tsubaki shook her head, “I'm sorry.”
 
InuYasha brushed off Ryen's hand and joined his brother by his side. “You're one cocky wench, you know that? You expect us to believe that load of shit? We know what you do; you shut up those who dare to oppose the Onigumo Empire; you put them into a coma and they just…die.” He blinked as Sesshoumaru slightly swayed in his stance. The barrier's purification power was taking a lot more out on the older Youkai then him. For once he could be happy with his human blood for saving him yet another abysmal fate of passing out. “we're calling you out, bitch…that you're in league with Naraku. do you deny it?”
 
Tsubaki narrowed her eyes and spat, “ I need not to explain myself to a filthy hanyou who isn't worth his salt. Get the hell out of my building, all of you. it is past visiting hours…” her eyes met Ryen's and a whimsical smile appeared on her lips, “unless you have a search warrant…”
 
Ryen stood a little straighter and narrowed his eyes, “if that is what it will take, we'll be back with one in the morning.”
 
Tsubaki glanced at the clock and shrugged. “Being five AM now…I look forward to seeing you…how do you say…pull one out of your ass…by the next twenty four hours.”
 
Ryen laughed wryly, “don't take me lightly, Tsubaki. You know I have enough power to level this facility in a single blow.”
Tsubaki shrugged and turned from the group. “If you excuse me, I have patients to attend to.” Tsubaki strut her way out of the tiny door to the left of the guards with a smile engraved on her face.
 
Kagome pushed past the group and ran for the door before it locked tight. The guards hardly had time to stop her before she pushed past the door and stopped dead. Set up much like any ward on a hospital floor, there was a large nursing station in front of her which Tsubaki stared out at her from and five long corridors heading in either direction, all the walls an iridescent eggshell and the floor a disgustingly pristine white marble. It was dead quite, and her footsteps seemed to echo for miles around her. “Please…you can't do this to Rin! She's been through so much! Just…just let her go! Please!”
 
Tsubaki scoffed and crossed her slender arms as two guards barreled through the door to grab her. taking three steps, she moved closer to the now restrained girl. “it was stupid for you to walk through that door. In here, those fucking Youkai that you travel with can't reach you. It's good that my boss is not present, or you would not walk away. But you're not my goal, Rin has been. And now that she is in here, there is nothing that anyone can do to stop me from setting Naraku free. Once he is free, you won't have to worry about us hurting Rin, she'll never feel anything again…that is after Naraku destroys what is left of her sanity.”
 
Kagome gasped as the two guards latched onto her arms, the screams of three male Youkai coming from the other side of the door ringing in her ears and disturbing the silence. “You can't be serious! You can't do this! You won't get away with it!”
 
Tsubaki leaned towards the girl and shook her head slowly. “Do you know why Rin endured all the pain, has she ever told you?”
 
Kagome swallowed hard and stuck out her jaw, “she had no choice…Naraku was a bastard…”
 
Tsubaki laughed loudly and shook her head as if it were a big joke. “No, you stupid little girl, Rin refused to give you over to Naraku. He offered her, her freedom many times over if she would simply call you into his office, to invite you to her home. She took his wrath over hurting you…she took the punishment for betraying him instead of betraying her friend. She sold her soul to the devil so that you wouldn't have to feel what he did to her at night.” Seeing the horror in Kagome's pale face, Tsubaki had to dig a little deeper. “She let him fuck her so that he wouldn't go after you…so that you didn't lose your innocence. But what a shame that you gave it to that hanyou filth.” She pulled back and smiled as Kagome struggled against the guards, her eyes flashing with murderous intent. Tsubaki shrugged and turned her back, “not that it matters, because once Naraku is free, those Youkai you cling to like a whore will be shot like the dogs they are and then you will be the one who will suffer. And all of your friends efforts…all of her pain…will be in vain.” She glanced over her shoulder at the petrified girl. “How does it feel to know that she will die in a pious effort to save you that only destroyed her life?”
 
With that to swallow, the guards threw Kagome from the holy room back into the waiting room and into InuYasha's arms. InuYasha fell back, Kagome landing safely on his chest, and paused then wrapped his arms around her and hugged her fiercely. “Don't ever do that, you stupid bitch…what the hell were you thinking?”
 
Kagome hugged InuYasha back weakly as her eyes met those of Sesshoumaru. He was standing across the room, closer to the exit with a look of utter misery etched across his face. He resembled a young tree stuck out in the middle of a ferocious storm, his boughs finally cracking under the pressure. `This is all…because of me? Rin…Rin gave herself up to save me?' A sudden calm entered through the girl's soul…one she could never be able to explain for as long as she lived as she quickly picked herself up off the floor. Clearing her throat, she nodded towards the exit. “Let's go…we have a lot of work to do.” turning towards the receptionist, she planted both hands on the counter and leaned closer. “I will be back, with a friend, tonight to see Rin.”
 
The secretary sputtered for a moment then shook her head. “Miss Rin is not to receive visitors yet…she is to unstable.”
 
Kagome met the girl's gaze and held it. her normal brown eyes, so carefree and happy, were nearly obsidian with a looming magical power that no one would dare take on or question. “I didn't ask if I could, I told you I would. I don't care who I have to take down to see her, I will be back and I will see her. You let your boss know that so they can be ready.” She turned from the desk and walked out the door, the three Inu-Youkai following dumbly behind her.
 
Once outside in the parking lot, Sesshoumaru nearly collapsed. His knees hit the ground first before his hands. He lifted his head, his stomach threatening to retch, as he slowly began to come to his senses. Standing under the purification barrier had proven nearly to much for the Youkai. If he had sleep, or more strength, he could have taken down those guards, but he was not at the top of his game. Noticing InuYasha leaning on the car with a similar look etched on his face, he sought out his uncle.
 
Ryen was throwing up in the bushes by the main door. After retching out the contents of his stomach, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand then moved to help Sesshoumaru stand. “She has some type of spiritual barrier up, one to block out anyone with demon blood. They must have known you would come for her, Sesshoumaru…or that I would. Either way, they were prepared.”
 
Sesshoumaru stood with Ryen's support and grunted as they slowly made their way to the car. “How do we get rid of it?”
 
Kagome shrugged and slid into the drivers seat. “to have something that powerful, they either need a very holy priest or some type of spiritual device. I'll bring Miroku and Sango back with me when we come tonight and have them search it out. In the mean time, Ryen, you need to get us a warrant. InuYasha, I want you to pull Bankotsu out of that jail cell you locked him in and find out more about Naraku's pending release. Sesshoumaru, I want you to get some rest.”
Ryen, who took the seat next to him, shoved Sesshoumaru into the backseat. He knew full well he was unable to drive in his current state of being, that barrier took too much out of him. “I'll see what I can do. I have a number of favors owed to me and I have a feeling that someone back home will want to look into this further.”
 
InuYasha met his uncle's gaze with a dark one of his own. “That's what you fucking said about that god damned tape, one that we were almost killed in retrieving, but we see how that turned out.”
 
Sesshoumaru growled and covered his face with one hand. “Let me out…I can't…I can't leave her here.”
 
Ryen reached over and put his hand over his nephew's forehead then grimaced. “You need to get some sleep, pup. You're burning up…that fucking barrier really kicked your ass. You're no good to us like this, and you sure as hell are no good to Rin.”
 
Sesshoumaru grunted and shook his head slowly, “no…I need to get to Rin.”
 
Ryen sighed and offered an apologetic smile to the demon as the car began to move. “Sorry kid…you'll thank me later.” Reaching over, Ryen wrapped one hand over the side of Sesshoumaru's head and shoved his head rather brutally against the window. The Youkai grunted before passing out on impact.
 
InuYasha turned around and growled only to pause and then sigh. He was simply to exhaust to fight. Turning back around, InuYasha rubbed his face. “I'm gonna get some sleep…we're up for a long night.”
 
Before Kagome could blink, she was in a car full of slumbering Youkai. With a roll of her eyes, she pulled the car in the direction of the prescient. She owed Rin…damnit; she really owed Rin after what she just learned. She would save her or die trying, and she had a plan…one that might just work.
 
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
okay, sorry it took so dam long to get this out. Work is finally done, except I have like three papers due by Thursday so after this, I should have more time to write. Anyway, here ya go. Pardon any grammar mistakes, it's the best I can kick out being exhausted.
 
And yes, I did it…I did make another Saiyuki and a Trigun reference. Shoot me. lol. Don't own them either…would love to though…