InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Final Battle ❯ In The Flesh ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: One of these nights, I'm gonna show what I don't already oh-own...
(There's a lot I haven't got!)
There's a feast waiting for you, and it's never even gotten a taste
It's later than you think, and a disclaimer is a terrible waste of space
 
RECAP: At that, Harry closed his eyes, grunting. After he settled back against the wall, he lifted one eye open. “You know, I'm a little surprised. Normally, you'd bite my head off if I talked to you like that.”
 
“Keh,” Inu-Yasha deemed him with a flicker of a gaze. “That's why I hate being human. You're body's not the only thing that gets annoyingly softer.”
 
 
 
Chapter 19
 
 
 
A slight draft of crisp, wintry air floated throughout the dojo, a signal that the humble fire in the corner had long since died out. The morning sun had perched delicately low in the air, just barely rising above the treetops on the horizon. The beginning sounds of day drifted like soft music, gently nudging the sleeping occupants of the room awake.
 
The frightened scream that ripped out from the vocal chords of a very well-rested redheaded witch turned that nudge into a full-on shove.
 
“WHERE THE BLOODY HELL AM I?!”
 
The panicked, jewel-bright aqua eyes of Ginny Weasley darted haphazardly around the inside of the foreign room, as she immediately got to her feet and tightened her grip on the wand that remained securely enclosed in her hands.
 
Five sets of bleary eyes settled on her tensed-and-ready form, and blinked repeatedly, not yet awake enough to understand the reason for the girl's immediate fear.
 
“God, Ginny...why you got to be so loud in the morning?” Ron groaned, eyes closing again as he shifted sleepily. He stretched his arms up widely in a yawn, and settled them down on something soft. Relishing in the heat of the foreign form beneath his hands, he struggled to burrow closer to the inviting warmth, burying his hands deeply beneath it.
 
Suddenly, he froze.
 
`Why does it feel like these mats are...breathing?'
 
More than an army of giant spiders charging him in an epic battle, more than the threat of Voldemort's return hanging ominously over his shoulder, and even more than his mother, Ron frightened beyond any fear he could ever imagine of what round, squishy, and unbelievably comfortable objects lay beneath his stock-still fingers.
 
Unable to shrug off the burning need to know, he tentatively rubbed.
 
He immediately felt the pricks of a fierce, bark-brown glare, piercing two infuriated holes in his head, as he looked up to the owner of those round, squishy, and unbelievably comfortable objects, which shook beneath his fear-stricken fingers with each threateningly rattling breath the beholder of those eyes took.
 
“You...perverted...BASTARD!!!”
 
A sickening crack resounded throughout the dojo, as Hermione's palm collided with Ron's jaw, knocking his torso sideways and flinging his offending appendages away from her breasts.
 
“Mm...try not to kill Miroku, Sango-chan...” Kagome muttered slightly, still half-asleep.
 
Inu-Yasha snorted. “Oy, get up, lazy wench.” He said, jostling her elbow. Kagome moaned, and buried herself deeper inside of Inu-Yasha's arms, her whole body practically carving itself into his lap. Inu-Yasha's face reddened no small amount, and shifted a bit. “H-hey! I mean it!” He said shaking her a little more urgently. Kagome slightly complied, opening her eyes a little, and relaxing her hold on the happy kit in her embrace.
 
“Alright, Alright...”
 
“Will someone answer my question?!” Ginny shrieked, still in freak-out mode.
 
Harry grinned at the energetic witch, chuckling at how the disheveled, carrot-colored hair that messily flew in various directions from her head made her more than ever resemble the spitfire she was. He contentedly stretched out his limbs, closing his eyes as he did so. “It's nothing to worry about, Gins...we're just in the feudal era.”
 
Ginny's aquamarine oculi bugged out, and fell into a sitting position as her legs involuntarily slid out from beneath her. She stared at Harry.
 
“How long was I asleep?”
 
“Ohayou gozaimassss—Ah! I see you're all up. I was just about to wake you...” Sango said, curiously watching as Ron and Hermione desperately struggled to extract themselves from the knot their limbs had made in the night.
 
“Good morning, Sango-chan...” Kagome sang distantly. “By the way, Ginny, this is Sango. She's the taiji-ya I fought alongside in the feudal era...and the sister I never had.” Kagome smiled.
 
“Huh!” Sango snorted. “More like grandmother, now!” She turned and bowed to Ginny, whose mouth had dropped to gape at the graceful being before her. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Gin-chan.”
 
“Uh...” Ginny sputtered tactlessly. “I-I mean, the pleasure's all mine...” She awkwardly ducked her head in reciprocation to the customary greeting.
 
“Now, I was going to ask if any of you would like some breakfast.” Sango asked, smiling upon the group. “And I thought you might like seeing Kirara again, Kagome.”
 
Before Kagome could squeal out an excited response, Hermione wrinkled her nose at her hair, which had, like Ginny's, swirled about her wildly in her sleep. “I could use a shower more about now...”
 
Kagome noted the flecks of youkai blood on her blouse, and nodded her head in agreement. “Ne, Sango-chan, would you care to join us in the hot springs?”
 
Sango nodded gently, and smiled. “Like old times...I'll fetch Shinamichi; she was last tending to a village boy with a sore throat, and I regret my actions in leaving the poor man alone with her.”
 
Harry shuddered, shaking his head at the image of the girl siccing her overactive libido on some innocent stranger.
 
“Ohayo—ou,” Soutaro called, hopping into the dojo. “Obaa-chan told me to tell you guys breakfast is ready.” He said, his voice directed to the males. “I trust you all slept well enough?”
 
“Well, Ginny did, at least,” Harry snickered teasingly at Ginny, who stuck her tongue out at him in return.
 
Soutaro looked at the said person, and stared at her quietly. “Ah, so you must be the sister of Kagome-sama's friends.” He walked over to her and bowed. “I'm glad to meet you; my name is Soutaro. I am the grandson of Sango and Miroku.”
 
Ginny blushed, and bowed in return, before putting out her hand. “It's a pleasure,” she said, smiling faintly. Soutaro took her hand uncertainly, smiling curiously as she shook it. He looked at her gently, his violet eyes sparkling with a sudden charm.
 
“Ahem...” Ron's voice cut in, as he stood and shot a cold look in Soutaro's direction. “You mentioned food?”
 
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _____________
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Ah...” Hermione sighed, contentedly slipping into the liquid heat of the hot spring. “This is amazing...”
 
Kagome grinned, joining her friend in the water. “Is this your first time in a hot spring?”
 
“Mmhmm...” Hermione moaned softly, closing her eyes. “It's like Nature's Bubble Bath. Without the bubbles.”
 
Sango smiled, delicately folding her kimono on a dry rock before submerging her remarkably well-preserved, yet battle-scarred body into the warm waters. “I think I remember bubble baths. Didn't you bring some of that scented gravel with you once, Kagome?” She chuckled.
 
Kagome groaned, laughing a little. “Yeah...that probably wasn't a great idea for the rest of the forest. I wouldn't be surprised if that little spring near Suruga is still frothing with strawberry suds.”
 
“Oh my God, it is cold!” Ginny shrieked, jumping out of her socks and throwing her clothing haphazardly around the forest. A loud splash signaled her entrance into the spring's safe haven of warmth.
 
“Indeed. It is certainly times like these where within a man's warm, strong arms, rippling with muscles beneath taut, tanned skin, is the best place for a woman to be.” Shinamichi sighed, her slight shivering and rosy complexion having nothing to do with the temperature of the crisp air.
 
Sango rolled her eyes. “So, when are you planning to leave, Kagome?”
 
Kagome frowned, pensively, blowing bubbles softly into the water.
 
“You know you're more than welcome to stay with us for as long as you like.” Sango warmly stated.
 
Kagome dunked her head, massaging her scalp and freeing her stale hair from the filth of battle. She emerged from the surface, trickles of water tickling her nose in their journey down her face. “Thank you,” she said, wiping her eyelids. “But I think we'll have to head back soon after we wash up. I'm afraid of how the rest of the aurors fared after the battle.”
 
“I'm worried about Professor Dumbledore,” Hermione said, rinsing her own mass of brown hair. “I know he's strong enough to protect himself against He—um, Voldemort, but I still can't help but worry. He must have a lot on his mind.”
 
“So must Harry.” Ginny muttered, leisurely floating.
 
The light in Sango's eyes dimmed at the somber expressions on her four companions. `Their eyes are so much older than young women's eyes should ever be.' She mused sadly, thinking on her own dark past. `That creature has destroyed so much, caused so much suffering to so many...when will he stop the destruction of youth?'
 
“Ne, Sango?” Sango looked up at Kagome, whose voice seemed to break the spell of heavy air that had collected around the older woman's shoulders. “Are you happy?”
 
Sango blinked at her friend, then smiled. “Yes, Kagome. I couldn't be happier.”
 
Just like that, the depression in Kagome's eyes cleared away to reveal the same, youthful sparkle reflected in Sango's own eyes.
 
“Thank you.”
 
The other girls seemed not to have noticed the silent exchange between Kagome and Sango, and went about with lighter conversation, taking turns scrubbing each others backs with the marvelous loofahs and shampoos Hermione had generously unearthed from her compact emergency kit. Their laughter and chatter resonated merrily throughout the forest, and trailed out to the two wizards, taiji-ya, retired monk, child youkai and grumpy hanyou in the glen beside the village.
 
“So, what next?” Ron asked, looking at Harry and Inu-Yasha. “Do we have a plan of action?”
 
“Well, the demons aren't gone for good,” Harry surmised. “Inu-Yasha's attack probably took care of some, but—“
 
“—Not even close to the amount Naraku probably has backing him, now.” Inu-Yasha spat, practicing with his Tetsusaiga and Kirara, who had recently joined them. “Anyway, I don't like this waiting around for him to attack. What I know about Naraku, is that he's like a fungus. You don't treat it right away, it'll grow, get nastier, rot...and before you know it, you got no foot.” He grunted, thrusting his sword in Kirara's direction, who artfully dodged.
 
Miroku shook his head. “As twisted as his logic may be, Inu-Yasha has a point. Regarding Naraku, it would be unwise to let him gain too much power.”
 
“But that's just it—he already has too much power. And we don't have enough.” Harry said, scratching his head and squinting from the lack of his spectacles. “We're not refraining from making the first move because we want to, it's just that we have to get stronger before we can even attempt to overtake him.”
 
Ron nodded. “Yeah. And now, Naraku's got the dementors on his side, as well as his bevy of demons.” Harry threw a curious look at his best friend, who shrugged in return. “What? I like calling him Naraku. It's not as scary as V...Voldemort.”
 
“You can call him Dwynwyn, for all I care. What we need now is to get back to the future and kick his ass.” Inu-Yasha said, now sparring with an enthusiastic Soutaro. “It's not enough just to plan and train, if he's still out there.”
 
Harry stood up. “We have to follow Dumbledore's orders, and trust that he's doing the right thing first. He's never once failed me, and he's the only man Voldemort fears.”
 
“Naraku fears no man.” Miroku said, his arms in his sleeve. “This...Dumbledore you speak of...he may be an adversary worthy of Naraku's respect, but I doubt he will avoid striking at him at every chance he gets.”
 
Harry opened his mouth to reply, but closed it, pondering the old pervert's words.
 
“Then, why don't we ask Kouga if he can get his friends to help us?” Ron piped up.
 
“Keh!” Inu-Yasha expelled vehemently. “As if I'd willingly surround myself with more mangy wolves.”
 
Shippou's tail fluttered behind him as a he scurried up Inu-Yasha's exercised body. “No, seriously, Inu-Yasha! Why don't we get some of the youkai on our side to help?”
 
Inu-Yasha threw his sword into the hard ground. He glared at the tiny youkai on his shoulder. “And just what youkai do you know on `our' side?”
 
“Well...you could ask your brother...he was a big help in the last battle we had...?” Shippou chirped uncertainly before scurrying away. Miroku simply shook his head.
 
“As IF I would ask that piece of shit for ANYTHING!” Inu-Yasha roared, lunging at the kit, who darted onto Ron's head, using his tail in a feeble attempt to blend in with his hair.
 
Ron frowned, heedless of his newly acquired toupee`, and looked curiously at Miroku. “Inu-Yasha has a brother?”
 
“He's my HALF-brother!” Inu-Yasha snarled.
 
Miroku sighed. “Inu-Yasha's father had sired another child before Inu-Yasha was born; that one being of a full Inu-youkai lineage.”
 
Harry snickered softly, unable to stop the image of a large golden retriever teaching a younger Inu-Yasha how to fetch, and do other brotherly-sorts of things.
 
“He's really powerful, and really scary. They always get into fights,” Shippou's muffled voice shuddered from Ron's head.
 
Ron nodded gently. “I know just what you mean. My brother Percy's an arrogant ass who thinks he's better than any of us. The family doesn't see much of him, and I like to keep it that way.”
 
Inu-Yasha's eyes flashed. “Yeah, well I'd just as soon never see that jerk-off's face ever again. He'd be better off staying as a perpetually reincarnating dog, anyhow.”
 
Inu-Yasha went to pick up his sword, when he stopped, his nose immediately sniffing the air.
 
The others looked up at him, Shippou's head still buried in Ron's fiery tresses.
 
Inu-Yasha inhaled deeply, a snarl spreading on his face. “Shit.” He said, grabbing Tetsusaiga in a flash.
 
“Speak of the Devil...”
 
 
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _____________
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome smiled in ecstasy after having scrubbed her body clean of the grime from yesterday's activities, and rinsed joyfully in the spring with the other females. “So, Sango. Tell me more about your family. How is Kohaku?”
 
Sango smiled warmly, stepping out of the spring and pulling on her kimono. “He is doing well, I'm happy to say. He's actually a blacksmith in the village, and has a fat, happy wife with fat, happy grandchildren.”
 
Kagome giggled. “I'm so glad. This village is truly incredible! It's grown so much in the past fifty years.”
 
“Mm...yes. It's amazing how times have changed. Of course, not as much of a change as far as 500 years goes, but still...” Sango's voice trailed off, when she suddenly tossed Kagome her bow and arrows, whipped around and brought her sword out in fighting stance.
 
Without thinking, Kagome caught her weapons from the water and readied a bow, aiming in the direction Sango's sword was pointed.
 
Hermione and Ginny frowned at the two women, and carefully drew up their wands in defense against the unseen threat, as Shinamichi unearthed a small dagger from the ground where her garments lay.
 
The women were silent, poised, and ready for what had suddenly intruded on their bath.
 
...Or so they thought, before an elegant boot emerged from the forest's cloak of green, revealing impossibly pristine white sashinuki. Delicate, deadly fingers tipped with greenish claws grazed against a blue and yellow obi, which sat beneath meager, but menacing armor that covered the figure's upper-torso. A billowing, fluffy grey fur was latched onto the side of the right kimono sleeve, and long, perfect strands of silver gracefully trailed down the intruder's sides in cascading sheets of silk. And cold, golden eyes stared emotionlessly from a frame of flawless flesh, marked only by two magenta stripes on each cheek and a royal blue crescent on the center of the forehead.
 
The bathing females could only gasp at the sight before them. Kagome's mouth fell agape, as she lowered her weapon.
 
“Sesshou-Maru...”
 
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ ____________
Gahhh!!! My FLUFFY! ...You know his entrance had to be dramatic.