InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The First Battle and the Creation of the Isle ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Kay, this was first written by my dear friend hydria (aka adri) for an English thingy too. I retyped it and made it longer etc. so that it would actually be a story instead of a 7 page, huge font, double-spaced assignment. Props (lol, props… such a funny word) go to her. So if she ever reads this: Uber props adri!
Moving on.
 
.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.
 
In a land called Tyrith, many years ago, in the capital city of Ulkim, there lived King Varon and his daughter Callia. He ruled Tyrith with a hard hand and loved nothing and no one, not even Callia. When Callia became pregnant with the child of Kelath, God of Love and Poetry, she feared to tell her ruthless father, should he choose to kill her or the baby. When she did finally tell him, his fury was unmatched, until he realized that should the child be a boy, he would finally have a male heir to his kingdom. He decided not to kill his daughter immediately, the usual punishment for a birth out of wedlock, but allowed her to keep her life and unborn child.
All too soon nine months had passed, and Callia gave birth to a baby girl. Knowing her father would not let her live because she was female, the princess pleaded with the midwife to take the child away and raise her unknowing of her royal lineage. The woman agreed and the tiny princess, named Kagome by her mother, was whisked away during the night. The next day, Callia emerged and announced she had given birth, but the child had died. Her father proceeded to lock her away from all who would question the situation.
 
.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.
 
The nursemaid took the baby Kagome to her own daughter, Lilia, who too had just given birth to a girl, Sango. Lilia nursed both children and raised them as her own. Months later, another girl was given to Lilia to care for. They named her Ayame and she was brought up with Kagome and Sango. The girls became close friends, not knowing they weren't really sisters, and were educated to worship the long forgotten Goddess Alzena and her three daughters of Earth, Fire, and Water.
The girls were trained to read, write, sing, and fight. They also learned the history of the three Goddesses and their mother. Since worship of Alzena and her kin was banned, they did so in secret, to avoid persecution by the other villagers.
When Kagome, Ayame and Sango were fifteen, the left to the next town to gather supplies to help cure their ailing mother. When they returned home they found their house burned to the ground by the townspeople, and Lilia dead. The people cried out that she was a witch and had been killing their children with magical enchantments. The girls fled in fear to the nearby mountain range to escape retribution.
 
.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.
 
“Please, Ayame! Try to stop crying! I know it hurts, but we must remain calm if we want to survive.” Kagome snapped at her sister, who was crouched by the stream weeping heavily. Sango rushed to Ayame's defense. “Kagome! How can you say such things? Don't you feel sadness at mother's death too? Can't we stop here for a while.