InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Lucky Ones ❯ Chapter Thirty-Three ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Lucky Ones

By Terri Botta

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Sole copyright belongs to Viz and Rumiko Takashi. I'm poor so don't sue.

Rating: R for later chapters.

Pairing: Inuyasha/Kagome, Miroku/Sango

Summary: Sometimes Fate hands you a gift you never thought you'd ever get, and it's up to you to accept it for what it is.

Email feedback to: tci100@psu.edu

Webpage: http://www.wordsmiths.net/Botta

*******

Chapter Thirty-Three

Dawn broke over the land and somehow Kagome knew it even in the darkness of the den. Her eyes snapped open as she sensed the coming morning, and she quietly roused herself from the blankets which was no small feat because Yukio was cuddled against her as usual and Inuyasha's limp arm lay draped across her waist. Her adult hanyou made a small sound of protest when she pulled away but did not wake, then she placed Yukio against him and he settled down again with a small sigh. The toddler didn't even twitch when she moved him.

Gathering her clothes and bathing supplies, she left the den as silently as she could and made her way to the stream.

`I'm to bathe and purify the jewel,' she said to herself, pulling the yukata close to her body. `No thoughts of doubt or fear must touch me today. The jewel must be as untainted as I can make it.'

The water was cold as always and the bracing chill woke her up completely as she submerged herself in it. Washing quickly, she made sure she was completely clean before getting out of the stream and drying off on the bank. It seemed odd to her not to dress in her school uniform anymore. She'd been wearing one form or another of it for so long that to suddenly be without the familiar sailor suit felt wrong to her. In deference to that, she had chosen a white dress with blue trim that had a similar crew-neck and a blue scarf. This she wore with her normal cable socks and brown loafers, and, of course, Inuyasha's necklace which she rarely took off for anything other than bathing. The blue beads and silver hair nestled against her skin just above her heart and tangled with the chain that held the Shikon no Tama.

Touching the swirling pink jewel, she closed her eyes and brought forth her love for the hanyou, using it to calm her and help her focus.

`Only pure, good thoughts today,' she reminded herself. `I love Inuyasha. Inuyasha loves me. We will spend our lives together in the house he will build. Our son will grow up big and strong, and never know the pain and hardship his father suffered.'

"Inuyasha is a fool," came a cold voice from behind her and she gasped, whirling around to face the intruder.

She found Kikyou, her face set into a deep frown, staring at her.

"Wh… what did you say?" she asked, trying to slow her pounding heart.

"He left you unprotected with the full jewel. Anything could have come upon you unawares while you were otherwise engaged. It pains me to see that the lessons of the past have not been learned. If he had not left me alone that night, Naraku would have had no chance to attack us both separately," the undead miko continued.

Kagome fought to quell her rising irritation. "If I remember correctly from what I was told, he left you because you spent the night in the shrine praying and he wasn't allowed in," she countered, defending her lover. "Was he supposed to just sit outside the doors where you had shut him out like an obedient dog?"

A flicker of emotion passed through Kikyou's eyes and she smiled slightly, seemingly pleased by Kagome's immediate defense.

"Our separation was as much my choosing as his," Kikyou amended.

`I doubt that. Knowing him as I do, if you'd let him stay with you, he'd have been glued to your side,' she thought dourly.

"But that does not change the fact that he left you undefended at a time when your protection is crucial."

"What makes you think he left me undefended? One scream from me and he'd be here in a heartbeat," she replied.

Kikyou cast around at the trees, her face never changing. "That is provided you had a chance to scream. Your… den is close by?"

Suddenly she didn't want the undead miko knowing the exact location of her and Inuyasha's safe haven. She crossed her arms and nodded. "Close enough."

"You spent the night with him there?"

She nodded again, not sure where the conversation was going. "Yes. And Yukio was with us too."

"You… engaged in carnal pleasures?"

`Carnal pleasures? Is that what you think lovemaking is? If you do, I feel so sorry for you Kikyou.'

"If you're asking if Inuyasha and I made love last night, the answer is yes, we made love."

A cold smirk came to the undead miko's face. "That alone should have stripped you of your miko powers."

"Well, obviously it didn't," she answered, drawing up some purifying energy and running it into her hands for the older miko to see.

"I know and that is an enigma."

"No. I don't think so. I don't think purity has anything to do with miko power. Tsubaki still had power and she was evil. You still have yours and you're dead."

She hadn't meant it to come out as harshly as it had sounded and she winced. "I'm sorry. That didn't come out the way I wanted it to."

"Does it matter? It is still the truth."

"I guess not. Anyway, what are you doing here? I thought you and Kaede would be setting up the ceremony and purifying the shrine."

"My sister is engaged in that task. The houshi is assisting her. I came to see if you were performing your duties as guardian of the jewel," Kikyou replied.

Kagome drew herself up, a little put out by the insinuation that she might not be doing what she was supposed to.

"As you can see, I am bathed and actively purifying the jewel."

Cold eyes flicked to the swirling bauble around her neck, then focused on the other necklace she wore.

`Does she recognize Inuyasha's hair?'

"You must be extremely careful not to taint the jewel today."

`It'd be a lot easier to do that if you'd stop insulting me and Inuyasha,' she thought dourly, but said nothing. `Or maybe… maybe she wants me to get angry and taint the jewel. Maybe she's not really Kikyou. Maybe she's a youkai in Kikyou's form!'

She sent out a tendril of power to see if she could tell if it was really Kikyou, but the thread was slapped back. Wincing she stepped away, ready to defend herself or scream for Inuyasha if need be.

"What's Inuyasha's mother's name?" she blurted.

Kikyou gave her another cold smile. "So he told you of our special word."

`Yeah, code word, secret handshake and everything. Just answer the damn question or I'm gonna scream loud enough to wake the whole village.'

"Yes, he did. Now tell me the name of Inuyasha's mother or I'll scream."

"I could tell you, but I have no knowledge of your special word. I would have no way of identifying you."

"That's easy. I've got the Shikon no Tama."

"You could be a youkai who has stolen Kagome's form and the jewel," the undead miko replied reasonably, her mouth curled into a wry smile of amusement.

"And you could be a youkai who has stolen Kikyou's form," she countered.

"And neither of you are youkai, and both of you should know that because you don't have any youki," came a third voice, tired and a little irritated.

"Inuyasha," Kagome gasped, seeing the hanyou come walking out of the trees. He was naked from the waist up and carrying Yukio.

"Okaa-san!" the toddler greeted happily.

"How do you know, Inuyasha? If we were shape shifters, we could most likely mask our youki," Kikyou answered.

Inuyasha shrugged and crossed over to Kagome, putting an arm around her as Yukio hopped into her embrace.

"Maybe, and maybe you could even mimic her scent. But you can't mimic the scent of me all over her," he said, then turned to her. "Pup had to go out."

She nodded.

"I was good! Went outside the den," Yukio added with a big smile.

"That's my big boy. You're so smart and good."

Inuyasha returned his attention to Kikyou, looking at her with concerned eyes and it was obvious that he was wondering what they had been up to. As usual, Kikyou gave nothing away with her expressionless face.

"Kasumi," he said purposefully.

"Izayoi," Kikyou replied without hesitation.

Inuyasha nodded with satisfaction, then looked to her and raised an eyebrow.

"Mama," she offered.

He smiled softly. "Besides, you think this one wouldn't know his mother?" he added, rubbing Yukio's ears.

"Ears!" Yukio giggled, covering his puppy ears.

"It would not be the first time a hanyou's senses were fooled," Kikyou commented.

Inuyasha scowled a little. "Actually, Naraku never bothered to mask his scent. If I had been more trusting and not been so quick to believe it was you, I would have figured out that it was a fake by scent alone. And you should have been able to tell it wasn't me by the youki. My youki was never as evil or disgusting as that bastard's."

"True," Kikyou agreed.

Feeling the growing tension and knowing the bad vibes could taint the easily tainted jewel, Kagome stepped forward and put herself between the two former lovers.

"Maybe it's not such a good idea to be dragging all of this up right now," she suggested, grasping the jewel in her hand.

"I agree. Kagome, lets go back to the den," her lover answered.

His hand touched her arm and lightly grasped her elbow. The gesture wasn't intimate in any way but it made her shiver regardless; that and seeing him half-naked always made her heart pound a little harder, but she knew she couldn't go with him. She had bathed and now had to concentrate all of her energies on making sure the jewel was ready for his wish. Before she could gently tell him he had to wait, however, Kikyou spoke in a disdainful voice.

"You would soil her with your base desires after she has cleansed herself?"

Inuyasha blinked, then flushed, then grew angry.

"Oi!" he growled, his eyes dark with hurt and upset.

"Kikyou…" she began.

"You make it sound like I rut on her like a mindless animal," he complained.

"Aren't you? I have heard the stories of your trysts from my sister. Sometimes you disappear into your hovel and no one sees you for days. Have you so little control over your lusts that you must sate yourself so often and keep your lover a prisoner in your hole?"

Inuyasha sputtered, his eyes opening wide. "Wh… what?"

"Kikyou, it's not like that. Inuyasha never forces me to do anything I don't want to do," she defended.

"Okaa??" Yukio asked, sensing the growing upset and clinging to her more tightly.

"Shhhh, it's okay, baby."

"He is a beast with no self-control. He always was. Why do you let him touch you? You are a miko. You should not taint yourself with his impurity."

Inuyasha flinched and she saw him go pale. The wounded look on his face broke her heart, and she hurried to reassure him.

"Okay, that's enough. I don't know why you're doing this Kikyou, but it stops right now! There is nothing impure or tainted about Inuyasha, and he's not a beast. He's a sweet, wonderful, devoted man and I love him. And if you ever loved him as much as he says you did, you wouldn't say such horrible things about him."

The undead miko was undaunted. "He is a lowly hanyou; a dirty half-breed spawned by a human and an evil demon. It is beneath you to even associate with him and his ilk. That includes the child you now hold."

Rage seized her and she gritted her teeth, mustering every ounce of self-control she had not to scratch the bitch's eyes out. How dare she say such terrible things about Inuyasha and her baby! She clutched Yukio closer to her, noting that the toddler was trying to make himself as small and unnoticeable as possible.

"Now you wait just one minute! Neither Inuyasha or Yukio are beneath me, and I don't lower myself or dirty myself by loving them! And there is nothing evil about my baby!" she argued vehemently.

"His father was a youkai, the same as Inuyasha's. Their evil runs true in their offspring and there is nothing to be done about it. They are tainted by nature and easily corrupted," Kikyou countered.

"I refuse to believe that Inuyasha's father was evil because he was a youkai," she replied angrily. "From everything I've heard about him, he was a fierce but fair and kind leader who was good to the people living on his lands, and he loved Inuyasha's mother very, very much. No one who could father a son as loving and devoted as Inuyasha, and forge a sword like Tenseiga- it's sole purpose being to raise people from the dead- could be evil.

"I've met lots of youkai who are good and decent people who love and feel pain just the same as we do. Yes, there are evil youkai out there. I've met lots of them too, but you know what, humans can be just as evil as youkai and they don't have any demon blood to blame it on.

"It's wrong to judge someone just by who their parents were or what their bloodline is. People should be judged by what they do and how many people they help. And no one should blame an innocent baby for being born, hanyou or not."

Kikyou raised an incredulous eyebrow. "Judged by what they do?" the undead miko repeated. "And what if I were to tell you that your `loving' and `devoted' good hanyou burned down the very village he now protects and is directly responsible for the loss of my sister's eye?"

Inuyasha gasped and cast her a guilty, worried look, but that only made her angrier.

"I already knew that. I also know no one died that day except you and Naraku was responsible for your wounds not Inuyasha, and that the fire was started by accident. As for Kaede's eye, if she's forgiven him for it then I'm certainly not going to blame him for something that happened before I was even born. And if you weigh all the good he's done since the village burned down, he's more than made up for it. He's saved hundreds of lives and helped twice that many in the years I have known him. He might pretend not to care, but he does and he always does the right thing no matter what. He's the most honest, loyal person I have ever met and he would never purposefully take an innocent life."

`Except when he's transformed… but even then, he only killed the bandits and after that he refused to transform again. That was the whole reason he went after Ryuukotsusei, so he could make Tessaiga lighter and be able to wield it again.'

Kikyou looked at Inuyasha. "What do you think of this, Inuyasha?"

The adult hanyou bared his teeth and growled softly. "What are you up to Kikyou?" he demanded.

"I am showing her your true nature."

"Excuse me, but I've seen his true nature," Kagome interrupted. "I know exactly what Inuyasha is and what he is not, and I don't need you trying to make me think less of him. Nothing you have to say will turn me against him or make me believe he isn't what I think he is."

With that, she stood next to him, shoulder to shoulder and they faced Kikyou together as a unified front. She expected Kikyou to look annoyed or even disgusted, but she wasn't prepared for the look of calm approval and satisfaction she got instead.

"Good," Kikyou said finally after a long, tense silence.

"Good?" Inuyasha repeated, snorting. "What the hell was that all about?"

"You harbor no doubts towards Inuyasha in your heart. You have complete faith and confidence in him. This trust is exactly what you need to keep the jewel pure, and prevent it from warping the wish," the undead miko told her.

"So this was a… a test?" she blurted.

"Yes. I was testing your commitment to each other." She looked at Inuyasha. "Did you see how quickly she defended you and how steadfast she stayed?"

Inuyasha nodded.

"You needed to see the depth of her love for you and trust in it. You still harbor fears that she will someday reject you because you are a hanyou. These fears are exactly the type of feelings you cannot afford to have today. You have seen her unequivocal trust and faith in you; now you must have the same faith in her. Do you understand?"

She felt the tension flow out of him and saw him relax.

`And his faith in Kikyou is restored as well as his faith in me.'

"I understand, Kikyou."

"That being said, she still should not go with you, but rather she should come to the shrine and help with the preparations there."

He wilted a little, his ears drooping, but agreed. "Okay."

She handed Yukio to him, having to literally peel the toddler off of her claw by grasping claw.

"Ooof, let go Velcro Baby and go to Otou-san."

"Okaa-san. Nooooooo…" Yukio whined.

Inuyasha took him and gave him a little shake. "Oi. None of that, pup. Okaa-san is busy right now and that means we have to leave her alone. You come with me and be good. I'll fix us some breakfast and we'll see Okaa-san later."

"Nooooooo…"

"Oi. You wanna get scruffed?"

Yukio sniffed loudly and shook his head. "Noooo."

"Then behave and do as I say."

Kagome leaned over to kiss his little cheek and rub his ears. "Be good for Otou-san." Then she kissed Inuyasha on the lips. "You be good too. Think happy thoughts about me and that will help you stay positive."

"No it won't because you won't be there for me to act on my thoughts," he complained.

She gave an exasperated sigh. "Hentai."

He grinned. "Only for you."

"Aren't I lucky."

"You don't think so?"

She gave him a soft look and a sweet smile. "Every day of my life," she admitted and gave him another kiss. "I love you."

He breathed softly into her mouth as their lips parted. "And I love you, koi."

She stepped away from him and gave Yukio one last rub to his ears. "I'll see you at the shrine."

Inuyasha nodded, his eyes warm. "Okay. I'll get the pup fed and us ready, and then join you."

Grasping the jewel in her hand, she nodded and poured all the love she felt in that moment into it, then she followed Kikyou toward the village.

"I understand why you did what you did," she began, hurrying to catch up to the older miko.

"You and Inuyasha must trust each other. He and I never did. In my heart, I always believed him to be capable of deceiving me."

`And he always thought you would betray him like all the others...'

"Thank you," was all she said.

"Still, it was foolish of him to leave you unprotected."

Now that she thought about it, she really had to agree. She should never have left the safety of the den without Inuyasha. Even though Inuyasha routinely killed any youkai intruders as a matter of course, and dealt with any youkai seeking the Shikon no Tama with extreme prejudice, there was always a chance that a new threat had moved in overnight.

"That was as much my fault as his," she admitted. "I didn't wake him when I left the den."

"I never knew him to be a heavy sleeper."

She shrugged. "He can be when he feels safe. The first time he fell asleep on my bed he slept there the whole night and never moved once."

Kikyou made a soft `hmmm' sound but otherwise did not answer, and Kagome realized how her offhand comment must have sounded.

"That... that was before we were... you know... lovers. Wayyyy before. He came to my house while I was trying to study and caused all this trouble. He wouldn't leave me alone and got into everything. I tried to get my little brother to entertain him but they ended up in the bath and Inuyasha came running back because the water was too hot. He finally passed out on my bed while he was watching me, but only after aggravating me for hours."

Kikyou laughed softly. "He always was a persistent distraction."

`Persistent distraction. Yes, he is isn't he.'

"Well, he certainly never lets you forget he's there."

"Inuyasha was never very good at stealth and secrecy. Every time he tried to steal the jewel from me, I always knew he was there well before he ever moved."

She giggled, knowing exactly what Kikyou meant, but also knowing that the undead miko was wrong. She heard him because he let her hear him. Had Inuyasha been serious about killing Kikyou to get the jewel, she would never have seen him coming. It was only the fact that he didn't really want to harm her that made him break his hanyou silence.

It seemed very strange to be having such a conversation with Kikyou, and she found herself biting her lip with uncertainty as the two of them walked down the familiar path to the village.

"Is it really all right?" she asked finally. "For me to be with Inuyasha instead of you?"

"He and I had our time. It is over now. He has a new life with you and the child you are raising. Besides, you are me. If it were not for the witch Urasue, I would still be inside of you, sleeping my dreamless sleep. So in that way, he is with me- the me in you."

Kikyou's words warmed her and some of her uncertainty faded as she smiled.

"Thank you. I'm... I'm glad. Inuyasha says you have been living at the temple Zenko-ji. He says you have found peace and acceptance there."

Kikyou nodded. "I have."

"I'm glad. Will you return there after... or will you stay in the village for a while?"

"I have not decided. Much will depend on Inuyasha's wish and the aftermath."

"I hope you're right and a good and pure wish makes the jewel disappear. Midoriko has been fighting the youkai souls inside the Shikon no Tama for so long. I hope she'll be able to find peace and go to her rest," she said absently, holding the jewel in her hand.

She didn't see the look of surprise and quiet admiration cross Kikyou's face as she passed the undead miko and headed up the tall stairs that led to the shrine.

The scent of incense and purifying herbs was strong as they entered the shrine grounds, and she found Miroku and Kaede deep in prayer.

"We are setting up a barrier that will, hopefully, keep out any intruders until after the ritual is complete," the monk explained when he had finished his prayer.

Kagome knelt next to him and nodded.

"Are you nervous, Kagome-sama?" he asked.

"About the wish?"

He nodded.

"No. I trust Inuyasha. I'll be nervous until he gets here. Until the jewel is gone it's still attracting youkai and men with evil hearts, and I'm worried about what we will do if we are attacked during the ritual."

"The barrier will keep them out."

"Out of here, but what about the village? With you, me, Inuyasha and Kaede all here, who is left to defend the village? We'd need a barrier to cover the whole town before it would be safe," she said.

Miroku's eyes rose up to look at Kikyou and the undead miko nodded. "Leave that to me."

`Oh yeah, that's right. Kikyou is strong enough to make a barrier big enough to surround the village.'

"Kikyou-onee-sama," Kaede greeted, ending her prayer.

"It appears that we are almost ready, does it not?" the undead miko replied.

"Hai. We have done all we can to protect the shrine and ensure that the jewel is not tainted by evil before Inuyasha makes his wish."

"I am going to erect a barrier to protect the village from youkai attacks while we are occupied here," Kikyou said.

Kaede nodded. "Then there will be three barriers. Yours, the houshi's and mine. I pray it will be enough. The jewel has brought evil to everyone who has tried to use it."

Kikyou nodded, then knelt down to begin creating her barrier around the town. Kagome watched her in fascination as she drew on her miko powers and wove the threads of her energy to make a shimmering shield that grew steadily to encompass the shrine, the surrounding forest and the village.

`She is amazing. I could never hope to be so powerful...' Kagome thought, a small pang of jealousy touching her heart. She shoved it away quickly, but Miroku picked up on it.

"There is nothing Kikyou-sama can do that you cannot. It is merely a matter of desire and training. Kikyou also embraces her holy vocation whereas you do not. That is the only difference between her abilities and yours," the monk explained.

"I've never been able to create a barrier like that," she replied.

Miroku raised one eyebrow. "Have you ever tried?"

She blinked. "No, not really."

"Your powers were honed in combat. Kikyou-sama's were honed in protection. That is why she builds barriers and you concentrate on offensive tactics. I have no doubt that you could create a barrier as strong and large as Kikyou-sama's if you had to."

She smiled at him, pleased by his faith in her. "Thank you, Miroku."

The monk shrugged. "I speak nothing but the truth."

"Kikyou is protecting the village. Kaede's barrier protects the shrine. What does your barrier do?"

"It keeps out anyone who has doubts and fear. All those who feel Inuyasha is a hanyou who will ask to become a full youkai, or those who harbor ill-will towards him, will be refused entry into the inner circle. We are trying very hard to protect the jewel from being tainted," Miroku answered.

She touched the jewel at her neck for the umpteenth time that morning and swallowed hard. Did she harbor any doubts inside her? She felt down into her heart and sighed.

`No. In my heart, I know he will do the right thing.'

"I've been keeping it pure since this morning."

Miroku ran a hand over the glowing bead and nodded. "It is as pure as I have ever seen it. Has Inuyasha shared his wish with you?"

She shook her head. "No."

"I am sure he just wants to surprise us, ne?"

She nodded. "He does love to keep his secrets. It makes him think he has one up on us."

Miroku smiled and chuckled softly. Then he pulled a small dokko from inside his robes and held it between his palms. Kagome knew he was praying and pooling his power into the holy object. Using the dokko instead of his Houriki allowed him to set the anchor for the barrier in much the same way the `Living Buddha' had done on Mt. Hakurei and put it into the small object. He could then set the dokko wherever he chose and it would hold the barrier in place without him having to be in physical contact with it.

The thought made Kagome smile. Miroku wouldn't want to be preoccupied with keeping the barrier up while Inuyasha was making his wish. The houshi was too inquisitive not to witness something which would likely be a momentous event. In truth probably half the village would have shown up for it if Kaede and the village headman had not agreed to keep the ceremony a secret from the majority of the villagers. Oh, they'd see the barrier of course, and probably come to the shrine to see what was going on, but the headman had already placed guards at the shrine entrance. No one who did not belong was going to get onto the shrine grounds before the ceremony was over.

When all was said and done, there were three consecutive barriers, each smaller than the other and all linked to holy objects that powered them. The first was Kikyou's village barrier. The second was the barrier Kaede put around the entire shrine sanctuary. The third was Miroku's barrier that covered just the heart of the shrine. Anyone wishing to witness the ceremony up close would have to pass through both barriers that protected the shrine itself. Once Inuyasha arrived, they would stand in the center of the shrine together and be surrounded by Miroku, Kikyou and Kaede who would pray for the purification of the jewel until the end. It was a bit of overkill, she had to admit, but with the Shikon no Tama involved, she didn't know if such a thing as overkill was possible. The jewel had been used for such evil, destruction and death, that she was glad to see the great lengths that were being taken to protect the purity of it. Nothing was being left to chance. Nothing was getting through. Nothing was going to interfere this time.

With the preparations made and the stage set, all that was left was to wait for Inuyasha. Sango and Shippou arrived shortly after Miroku finished his barrier, and it pleased Kagome to no end to see them pass through it without so much as a flicker from the shield.

`They have no doubts. For all their complaining and teasing, they trust Inuyasha completely. Do they know how strange and wonderful that is? A kitsune and a taijiya trusting and considering a hanyou as one of their own. Inuyasha should be so proud.'

"Ohayo," she greeted as the two came to join her and Miroku. The houshi smiled at his wife and she smiled back.

"Kagome-e-e!" Shippou cried happily and hopped into her arms.

"Shippou-chan. Sango-chan," she said, smiling at them.

"We saw the barriers go up and knew it was almost time," the fox kit explained.

Kagome nodded. "We are waiting for Inuyasha now."

Sango was dressed in her full taijiya armor with hiraikotsu slung across her back.

"I came prepared to defend the shrine from youkai, but it looks like my services won't be needed," she said.

Kagome grinned at the slight note of disappointment in her voice. Sango was itching to get back to `work,' but so far she'd had little opportunity to practice her craft. Inuyasha was usually so swift and thorough in keeping the village youkai-free, present company excluded of course, that very little ever got past him. The last time Sango had used hiraikotsu it was to bring down a carrion-crow and that was a bit like using a cannon to knock out a mosquito.

"Don't worry, Sango-chan. You're still welcome here. I know Inuyasha will be happy to see all of you here to support him. He'll be so proud to know you believe in him and trust him so much."
"Well, we were there almost from the beginning. It's right that we be here at the end," Sango replied.

"I was the first one to join your group!" Shippou enthused.

She smiled and scratched his head. "I remember Shippou-chan."

The kit looked contrite for a moment. "I tried to steal your shards and tricked Inuyasha into getting his hand stuck under a statue."

"You were trying to avenge your father. Both Inuyasha and I understand why you did what you did."

Sango sat down next to her and hugged her knees, a wistful look on her face. "It seems like so long ago. Naraku possessing Kohaku and forcing him to kill Chichi-ue and the others, and me, then blaming it on Inuyasha and sending me out to kill him. He should have killed me then."

"Inuyasha wouldn't have done that. He knew you were being tricked by Naraku."

Sango frowned and looked down. "Before I met Inuyasha, I never would have believed that a hanyou could be good at heart, but… but he's taught me that many of my views about youkai were wrong."

"Me too! I'm a youkai!" Shippou added.

Sango smiled at the kitsune. "You too Shippou."

"Inuyasha has taught us many things about the nature of hanyous and humans," Miroku commented sagely. "And you, Kagome-sama, have taught us many things about accepting people as they are, and about the power of love."

She blushed under the praise. "I didn't do anything special."

"Inuyasha wouldn't think so. I think he thinks your love for him is nothing short of a miracle," Miroku told her. "It will destroy him if you are forced to return to your own time after the Shikon no Tama is gone."

Kagome winced and shivered. "Kikyou believes the well will close and I'll be trapped here. But… but there is a chance that I'll have to go back to my time and stay there," she admitted.

"You're very special Kagome-chan. I hope… I hope you will always be with us," Sango said.

"Yes. We don't want you to leave Kagome," Shippou agreed.

She hugged the kit. "I hope I will be here with you too. But I don't want the well to close either. I want things to stay the way they are."

Miroku sighed. "I think all of us wish for that at one time or another."

Kagome nodded, trying very hard not to let her fears seep into the jewel. She knew it would use anything it could, and she wasn't about to help it any.

`I wonder where Inuyasha is,' she thought. `He should have finished feeding Yukio by now.'

"Where is Kohaku?" she asked suddenly.

"He is watching Miyoko. He hates the Jewel and he knows it. The Shikon shard in his back was what allowed Naraku to control him all that time, and he doesn't want to be anywhere near it. He did tell me that he hopes it disappears from this world forever so it can't hurt anyone else," Sango replied.

Kagome nodded that she understood. "I hope so too."

"Will Inuyasha be here soon, Kagome?" Shippou questioned.

"Yes. He had to feed Yukio and get dressed. Then he was going to come to the shrine."

The fox kit fidgeted. "I hope so. I'm getting anxious."

She smiled. "I know, Shippou-chan."

"It looks like everything is ready," Sango noted, looking around.

"Yes. Kikyou has put up a barrier around the village. Kaede's barrier protects the whole shrine, and Miroku's keeps anyone who has any doubts about Inuyasha or harbors dark thoughts about him out of the center," she explained.

"It certainly seems like you have everything under control," Sango said.

"We hope so," Miroku replied. "The Jewel is very sensitive and easily influenced. We are trying very hard to protect it from corruption as much as possible."

"I don't think you can be too careful at this point," Sango agreed.

"Well, you should be proud. You and Shippou passed through Miroku's barrier without any trouble. That means you both trust Inuyasha very much," Kagome pointed out.

Shippou crossed his arms and huffed, looking very much like Inuyasha in that moment, "Yeah, well, I suppose Inuyasha is alright. Even though he is a meanie most of the time."
She giggled and petted the kitsune's hair, earning her a happy smile.

Suddenly the shield gave a little "ZAP" noise and she swiftly turned her head to see Myouga bouncing just outside of it as Kirara in her kitten form joined them. The firecat mewed and sat next to Sango as Kagome frowned.

`So the flea-youkai doesn't trust Inuyasha. Why does this not surprise me?'

Rising to her feet, she walked over to the edge of the barrier.

"What? You can't come in Myouga-jiichan?" she asked innocently, watching the little youkai shake off the aftereffects of getting zapped.

"Kagome-sama! You are looking well today! I came to see the ceremony with Inuyasha-sama. Would you let me in?"

She looked at the others who all looked back at her with amused expressions.

"I can't do that, Myouga-jiichan. The barrier is keyed to keep out anyone who doubts Inuyasha."

Myouga hopped up and down angrily. "How can you say such things, Kagome-sama? Long I have been Inuyasha-sama's faithful servant!"

She narrowed her eyes. "Oh really. So I guess we just imagined you running off every time Inuyasha got into trouble."

The flea-youkai stopped hopping and looked dejected.

"It is true I run away, but that is because I am an old man and no good at fighting. I would just be a burden to Inuyasha-sama if he had to worry about my safety."

`Yeah, right… The problem is Inuyasha probably would worry about Myouga's safety. Regardless of his cowardly actions, he is still pack and Inuyasha would protect him.'

"Ahh, I see. How noble of you," Miroku replied smoothly.

"Yes, yes. So you see I do trust Inuyasha-sama. Please let me in."

"I am sorry. My barrier is very specific. If you cannot pass it is because you have doubts in your heart. We must protect the jewel from being tainted. If it keeps you out, it is because you are a danger."

Myouga started hopping again. "That is not possible! I am Inuyasha-sama's faithful servant!"

"Is that so?" Inuyasha's voice commented dryly.

`Inuyasha!'

She looked up to see him approaching, Yukio in his arms. He was dressed in his usual fire-rat clothing but today it looked different on him. Today it looked regal, like the fine robes of the shogun, and she realized that it wasn't so much the clothes but how he was carrying himself. His head was up as he walked, his ears forward, and his steps were steady and self-assured as if he knew exactly his purpose in life and what he was supposed to do. He looked older, finer and more majestic than she had ever seen him- even with their son in his arms, and the mid-morning sun sparkled off his silver hair and glowed in his golden eyes. In short, he took her breath away.

"Inuyasha-sama!" Myouga cried. "I must beg your forgiveness. The barrier will not let me in."

"Really?" the adult inu-hanyou answered.

Yukio blinked down at the flea-youkai. "Jiji!"

"Yukio-sama! Rude as ever," Myouga scolded, then let out an "Urk!" as Inuyasha stepped on him. "Oh, I feel so crushed…"

"Keh. Well, at least if you're here it means you're not afraid for your life so that does make me feel better," Inuyasha said, passing through the barrier to stand next to her. "Kagome," he whispered lovingly, and her name was a benediction.

"Inuyasha," she replied, smiling at him.

"Okaa-san," Yukio said, and she nuzzled him.

"Hello, baby. Were you good for Otou-san?"

"Yes."

"That's good. Now, Okaa-san and Otou-san are going to be very busy very soon, and you'll have to be a good pup."

Yukio nodded. "Otou say I stay with Kirara and be quiet."

She tickled him and gave him another smile. "That's right. And it's very important that no matter what happens, you stay with Kirara and be a good pup. Okay?"

For a moment, Yukio looked worried and he chewed on his fist, but nodded. "Okay."

The others stood and gathered around.

"Inuyasha," Miroku greeted with a little bow.

"Miroku," he answered.

"Are you prepared for this?" the houshi asked.

Inuyasha looked at her, his face serious and mature. "Yeah, I'm ready."

"Let us proceed then," Miroku replied.

Inuyasha nodded, then looked to Kirara who mewed and then transformed into her full firecat form. Yukio went without protest when his father gave him to the firecat and she took him to stand next to Sango and Shippou as his parents moved to the center of the shrine grounds.

Kagome and Inuyasha faced each other and Kikyou, Kaede and Miroku came to stand around them in a triangle. Within the perimeter of the innermost barrier, Sango, Shippou, Kirara and Yukio bore witness. On the outside of the third shield but still on the shrine grounds, waited the rest of the spectators: Myouga, the village headman and three of his guards. Inuyasha gave her a reassuring smile.

"Nervous?" he asked.

She smiled at him. "Not now that you're here."

"That's my Kagome. She always has such faith in me. She's what allows me to be so strong."

Around them, the two mikos and the houshi began to pray, surrounding them with purifying energy. Kagome took the Shikon no Tama from around her neck and offered it to Inuyasha.

"I love you. I trust you," she told him.

He gave her a tender smile, his eyes soft and swimming with emotion as he lifted his hands to cup her own, placing the jewel in the cradle of their palms.

"Thank you," he whispered.

She nodded and waited for him to make his wish.

"I've given this a lot of thought," he began. "I have no need to be a full youkai because you've taught me how to accept myself as a hanyou. I have no need to be human for the same reasons. Besides I don't want to be a youkai or a human, I just want to be me. All I really want is to live in peace with you in the house I build and raise our pups, and I don't need a wish on the jewel for that.

"The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I don't want anything from this jewel. It's done nothing but bring evil to anyone who's ever used it, and no one has ever tried to use it for good. Even those who might have had noble intentions in the beginning, had those intentions twisted by the youkai souls in it. What I really want from this thing is for it to go away and stop bringing pain to everyone who touches it. And that's why I chose the wish that I did."

He paused after his explanation and there was a moment of tense silence, then he took a deep breath, wrapped their hands around the Shikon no Tama and began to speak loudly and clearly.

"I wish for Midoriko to win her battle with the youkai souls inside this jewel, and for her to bless my mating with Kagome so that we may be together in love for as long as we both shall live."

He stopped speaking and the jewel began to glow pink, then pure white, the light growing brighter and brighter until it was too bright to see and they all had to shield their eyes. At some point Kagome and Inuyasha realized that the Shikon no Tama was no longer in their hands and a brief panic ensued.

"Inuyasha! The jewel!" she cried.

"I know. It's okay."

She grabbed for him, blinded by the bright light that engulfed them and she felt him wrap his arms around her.

"I'm here. I'll always be here," his voice comforted.

"And peace be with you both," came a new, strange voice.

The light faded and the group saw that a new figure had joined them. She was translucent and dressed in ancient armor.

"Midoriko," Miroku breathed, recognizing the spirit.

"Midoriko?" Kagome repeated, shrinking in Inuyasha's embrace.

The spirit looked at the hanyou and gave him a soft smile. Kagome felt Inuyasha shiver under the mild gaze.

"Inuyasha. It seems that you have grown in the years you have searched to complete the Shikon no Tama. No longer do you wish to become a full youkai," the ancient miko said.

"Bah! I'm strong enough as it is, and that jewel never brought anyone anything but misery and pain. If I'd wished to become a full youkai, I know I would have lost myself and run rampant," he answered truthfully.

The spirit nodded, her eyes wise and approving.

"In all my years of fighting, in the centuries of my chosen imprisonment, always those who possessed the jewel wished upon it either purity or power. None have ever wished it love. It seems that a `lowly hanyou' has finally found the true key to the jewel I created so long ago. It was never about purity or power. Those things are fleeting and cannot last. But love. Love is eternal."

Inuyasha did a double take. "Eh?? But I didn't. I wished for you to win, that's all!"

The ancient miko gave him a sardonic smile. "Are you sure? Did you not also wish for me to bless your union with your beloved so that you might, as you said, `be together in love for as long as we both shall live'? Is that not a wish in and of itself?"

The hanyou sputtered, but Kagome was catching on. "So you mean…?"

Midoriko nodded. "The youkai souls would have their say, and theirs is to grant you both the same life."

"So I'll live as long as Inuyasha?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes."

"But that's not what I meant!" Inuyasha argued.

Kagome turned to him, hurt. "You mean you aren't happy that I will now live as long as you will, and we can grow old together because I won't die centuries before you do?"

The hanyou looked trapped between a rock and a hard place. "That's not what I meant either!"

"Whether that was your true intention or not, that was how your wish was interpreted. Now that the jewel is gone, there is no taking it back," Midoriko said.

"It's gone? Is it really?" Kagome asked hopefully.

The ancient miko nodded. "The Shikon no Tama is no more."

Kagome clapped her hands happily. "Oh! Oh, I'm so glad. You can go to your rest now and find peace."

"That is one of the paths that lay before me."

Midoriko looked at Inuyasha, her eyes wise and gentle. "However, there was another wish you wanted to make, but you had to make a choice because you could only make one."

The hanyou swallowed hard and nodded, but stayed silent.

"You wished you could see your first love restored to a living body so that she would not be forced to subsist on the souls of the dead."

Inuyasha lowered his gaze and nodded slowly. "Kikyou… Kikyou deserves better than a life like… that."

"Inuyasha…" both Kagome and Kikyou breathed in unison.

Midoriko turned to the undead miko. "We are sisters, you and I," she said. "Our souls were cut from the same cloth. Both of us were dedicated to a life of service and sacrifice, with no thoughts for our own needs and desires. Forever alone we were, kept apart from others because we were different. Both of us were betrayed by evil men who sought to possess us. There is no one who knows your heart better than I, my sister, my twin.

"I am not ready to go to my rest. I offer you then, the whole of me within you. In doing so, the last of my power shall become yours, and both of us shall live again in one body."

"You suggest a merger?" Kikyou replied, blinking.

Midoriko nodded. "To do so you would have to release the souls that do not belong to you, but I would replace them with mine and the purified remainder of the youkai souls within me."

Kikyou touched her chest. "I would live again?"

"We would share the body in eternal life. Forever together and never alone."

"I…"

"Kikyou…" Inuyasha whispered.

"Yes," the undead miko replied, answering the spirit's question.

The ancient miko smiled and nodded. "So be it."

Kikyou closed her eyes as Midoriko became a bright, glowing ball of light, which then flew into Kikyou's chest. Kikyou's body jerked from the impact, then countless souls burst forth from her form, streaking off in every direction. One came straight at Kagome and slammed into her, making her gasp and fall to her knees.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha cried, kneeling beside her and taking her into his arms as she recovered from the shock.

"My soul… my soul is whole again…" she panted, clutching her chest.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes."

They turned their attention to Kikyou, who was now floating several inches above the ground, encompassed in a brilliant glow. She remained suspended there for several moments, then she landed softly and sank to the ground, the glow fading.

"Kikyou?" Inuyasha asked nervously after a minute of tense waiting.

Dark eyes opened and the miko slowly sat up. She seemed confused and looked at her hands, then touched her chest over her heart.

"Our heart beats," she said.

"Kikyou-sama? Midoriko-sama?" Miroku questioned, offering a hand.

"We are here."

"Kikyou-onee-sama?" Kaede added.

"Kikyou is no more. Midoriko is no more. We are one. We have merged. We are… Midorikyou."

"Midorikyou," they all breathed.

Slowly, with Miroku's help, the miko who had once been Kikyou rose to her shaky feet. Inuyasha, still on the ground holding Kagome, looked up at her with a mixture of deep sadness and bittersweet joy.

"Kikyou…" he whispered so softly that only Kagome heard him.

Midorikyou looked at the hanyou and his mate.

"We loved you. We thank you for everything you tried to do for us." She put out her hands and they glowed white with power. "We bless your union. May you live in love and happiness for as long as you both shall live."

Kagome felt the power surge into her and was almost brought to tears by it. It wrapped around her and Inuyasha like a comforting blanket, then sank into them, making their skin tingle.

"The ceremony is over. The Shikon no Tama is gone. Go in peace," the miko announced.

As if to emphasize her point, the barrier around the village abruptly disappeared. It was then that they realized that a crowd had gathered outside the shrine grounds, and both Kaede and Miroku dropped their barriers, letting them in. Inuyasha helped Kagome to her feet, supporting her because she was still a little wobbly.

"Are you sure you're alright, Kagome?" he asked.

She smiled at him. "Yes, I'm sure."

"Kagome!" Shippou cried and hopped onto her shoulder.

"Oi! Be careful!" Inuyasha warned.

"Oh, sorry, sorry! Are you alright Kagome?"

She nodded and smiled at the kit. "I think so, Shippou-chan."

"Okaa-san! Otou-san!" Yukio exclaimed as Kirara brought him over to them.

Kagome bent down and picked up her son, holding him close as he hugged her.

"Otou and Okaa gone! I scared!"

"But you were good and stayed quiet, and here we are all safe and sound," she assured him with a kiss.

Inuyasha reached over and rubbed Yukio's ears.

"I'm proud of you, pup. You were a real man."

Yukio beamed at his father.

"Well, that was exciting," Sango said as she joined them.

"I can't believe it's all over," Kagome admitted. "And Kikyou merging with Midoriko. I never suspected that!"

They looked over to where Midorikyou was standing surrounded by Miroku, Kaede, the village headman and a number of other villagers.

"I think it was what they both wanted," Sango commented.

"Yeah, and now Kikyou is alive again and doesn't need souls anymore," Shippou added.

"And your lifespan, Kagome, that's wonderful. I had worried for Inuyasha. Inu-youkai mate for life and they are very loyal. I knew you would die many centuries before he did and I feared he would suffer from terrible grief," the taijiya said.

She took Inuyasha's hand and squeezed happily. "I know. I was worried about that too."

"You were?" Inuyasha asked, surprised.

She looked at him and smiled lovingly. "Of course. I knew your life would be much longer than mine, and I kept thinking about how you would have to live without me once I was gone. Now we can look forward to growing old together. Does that make you happy?"

He smiled back, shyly. "Yes. That makes me happy. I… I was resigned to losing you in a few short decades, watching your hair turn silver like mine, and your face grow old while mine stayed young. I'm… I'm glad that you will be with me now until we are both old."

"Now you just need to finish that house of yours so she can make a proper husband out of you," Sango teased.

"Proper? Inuyasha will never be proper!" Shippou said, then ducked behind Kagome's shoulder.

"Oi!" the adult hanyou growled, threatening the kit.

"Kagome-e-e-e!" Shippou cried as he tried to run.

"Inuyasha, osuwari."

"Gah!" he gasped as he hit the stone pavement of the shrine.

Yukio looked down at his father and giggled.

"You may never be proper, Inuyasha, but I love you just the way you are," Kagome cooed, soothing his ruffled pride.

"Keh!" he snorted as he stood up. His face and mouth said he was angry, but he put his arm around her which told her all was forgiven.

"So? What now?" Kagome asked.

"I know the villagers have prepared a feast. Someone must have told them about the ceremony because the village was buzzing with activity this morning," Sango replied. "I think we will all go back to Kaede's hut to eat. I should also go get Kohaku and my daughter."

"Kagome, do you… do you want to check the well?" Inuyasha offered tentatively.

She shuddered. The well. So far, it didn't look like she was going to get dragged back to the Modern Era and forced to stay there, but she was half afraid to go near the well just in case she had to be in close proximity for it to grab her. If she was going to be tossed back to modern Tokyo, or trapped in the past, she wanted it to be after she had more time with her family and friends.

"No," she replied, shaking her head. "We can do it later. For now, I just want to be with you and our life in this time and be happy."

He smiled and kissed her. "I love you, Kagome."

"I love you too, Inuyasha. So very much. And I look forward to telling you that every day for the next what… six hundred or so years?"

He gave her a silly grin and a little shrug. "Nine hundred at least, maybe more. I dunno how long hanyous live. I never knew one that made it out of adolescence."

"Well, I look forward to finding out together."

"Me too."

At that moment, Inuyasha's stomach growled and they all chuckled.

"C'mon. Let's go get that bottomless pit of yours fed," she teased, taking him by the arm and gently leading the way.

"Ramen?" he asked.

"I'll see what I can do," she replied, hooking her arm through his as they walked side-by-side off of the shrine grounds.

A/N: NO this is NOT OVER yet. Stay tuned. We've got a bit more to go. :)