InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Like a Puppy ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Eleven: Like a Puppy
 
{Disclaimer: I don't own nothinks, not even that word which is my grandmothers.}
 
Authors Note: Just got back from band practice, and felt the need to finish this chapter. This year's going to be awesome. Our field show is the music from the musical Wicked on Broadway. It's a grade four show for those of you who know music terms. It's the first professional quality show our school's done. It's gonna be tons of work so I'm going to try to get out as much as I can. Review responses below, ja.
 
Blue Dove/Tsuki Yume: I don't know why it's call a homecoming dance. I've never been to one so I don't know much about them other than the fact that they're following the homecoming game, which again I don't know why the call it that. Sorry I couldn't answer you question.
 
-Flame
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
Okay, so I've been lying to myself this whole time. I did miss her. It was now winter break and Kagome has been gone for three days. Three days! I should have been able to deal with that, but I can't, I miss her, I mean truly miss her. I'm not supposed to miss anyone! I had to see her.
 
Which is why I'm on hold right now. I've sunk lower than low. I was going to ask my father for a favor. He didn't know that I had a girlfriend; though I'm sure he had some sort of suspicion. I was about to hang up and change my mind when my father's voice filtered through the phone line. “Hello? Taishou Hibiki speaking.”
 
“I've changed my mind.” There was a pause before he said anything.
 
“Sesshoumaru? Is that you?”
 
“Yes.” There was another pause. He must be in shock, considering that I've never called him at work before. I wonder if he thought I didn't even know the number.
 
“What did you change your mind about?”
 
“Going to Japan with you.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“I want to go.”
 
“Why the change of heart.” It was my turn to pause and think of an excuse. I didn't really want him to find out about Kagome.
 
“That's my business alone. If you wish you can believe it's because I feel the need to experience what I shall end up doing before I do it in the future.”
 
“I don't buy it, but I suppose there's no problem with you coming along. Pack your things we're leaving in the morning.” So soon, I guess it's a good think I didn't hang up.
 
“All right. I will see you when you get home.” I hung up before he could say another word and went upstairs to pack what I needed for my trip to Japan. I was going to go visit Kagome.
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
I was on the plane next to my father. I believe this was the longest I've ever spent in the same room with him since my mother's death. He was working on his laptop and I was reading yet another book. I was quite glad he wasn't trying to make conversation with me. “Sesshoumaru.” I spoke too soon it seems.
 
“Yes father?” I heard him sigh and I was sure he was shaking his head as well. I'm the only one who calls him father still.
 
“I want you to know that you can go where ever you like while we're in Japan.” That got me to turn my head and actually look at the man.
 
“What?”
 
“I'm not stupid. I know you came for that girl.”
 
“How do you know about her?” My eyes narrowed.
 
“You really think that I don't pay attention to what you do? You're girlfriend is in Japan right, and you miss her.”
 
“Did Inuyasha talk to you?”
 
“No. I watch over you after all. It's not like I abandoned you.” I didn't say
anything but kept looking at the man I hardly knew. “As long as you're back at the hotel room by midnight, you can do what ever you feel like.”
 
“Thank you.” I said after a long pause. Before I returned to my book I was able to catch the look of pure astonishment on his face.
 
“You're welcome.”
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
I stretched once we were able to get off the plane. I think I have come to hate sitting for hours on end, I'm not really looking forward to the return trip. Following my father I stayed silent in the airport. We got our bags and a taxi taking us to the hotel room father had booked for the two of us.
 
“Sesshoumaru.”
 
“Yes father?” He sighed once again as he always does when I call him father.
 
“If I give you the address of the hotel will you be able to find your way there? You look antsy to find her.”
 
“Yes, I'll be fine.” He handed me a piece of paper and I stuck it in my wallet so not to loose it. “Thank you.” I got out of the taxi and began walking down the street. God was I glad to get away from him. I slowly began to relax as I watched the taxi get farther and farther away form me, that was until I made one error. I had no idea where Kagome lived.
 
I sighed and looked around the big city of Tokyo. How could I have been so naïveté? Okay, what do I know that can help me find her? 1) Her last name's Higurashi 2) her mom's in the hospital maybe a few other details I'm forgetting at the moment, but those are the key ones.
 
Walking down the current sidewalk I was on I continued to think about what I needed to do. I could somehow find a phonebook and look for her name, but how many Higurashi's can there be, thousands maybe? I could also go to the hospitals and see if I could find her mother. What would I say then; 'Hi, I'm your daughter's boyfriend and followed her to Japan, even though she doesn't know yet. Can I please know where you live?' Yeah, that would go over real well.
 
With a sigh I looked around for the nearest phone booth. Hopefully there would be a phonebook in one of them, if my luck could hold out; which it thankfully did. I opened the large book and thanking the Gods that I could read kanji found three Higurashi families.
 
The fist one was in Hokkaido, the next in Kyoto, and then one right here in Japan. I remember her telling me her dad died, not only that but I know he remarried Kikyou's mom so I think I can rule out Keitaro Higurashi in Hokkaido. The other two names I wasn't quite sure weather they were female or male. So I'll just call both.
 
I dialed the number for Kuri Higurashi in Kyoto. I hope this isn't her. “Mushi, mushi; Higurashi residence Kuri speaking.” I hung up as soon as the deep and very male voice announced they were Kuri. Okay, so it's a male. I don't think that was Kagome's place. It sounded too young to be her grandfather.
 
So I dialed in the number for Inari Higurashi of Tokyo. The phone rang multiple times and just as I was about to hang up an older male voice came on. “Mushi, mushi; Higurashi residence Suoh speaking.” Could this be Kagome's grandfather? Oh please let it be.
 
“Uh, Konichi wa, my names is Hibiki Sesshoumaru; I was wondering if I could speak to Inari?”
 
“I'm afraid Hibiki-san she's in the hospital.” She…hospital…Kagome…
 
“Really. Then may I speak to Kagome.” There was a pause on the other line and I grew worried. What if I'm wrong and Kagome really is in Kyoto or Hokkaido even.
 
“How do you know she's here?” So I wasn't wrong, thank God.
 
“She told me she was returning home. I wanted to talk to her.”
 
“She's never mentioned your name before.”
 
“She probably didn't mention much except questions about her mother. I know she was very worried about her.”
 
“Kagome's at the hospital with her mother right now. She said she'd be back around five. I'll tell her you called Hibiki-san.”
 
“Arigato.” I hung up and looked at my watch. It was only three; I had two hours to find her house, enough time to get lost multiple times. I pulled out the paper with the address of the hotel and a small pen I always keep on me, one never knows when you need a pen, and wrote down her address from the phone book. Okay, now time to get lost, which is exactly what I did.
 
After the first hour I stopped and got some lunch at a side café. While I was there I asked for directions, not that it helped considering I couldn't understand some of what they were saying. I thought I was good at Japanese, but the way they were speaking it I couldn't understand much. I wonder if they had a kansai accent, that would make sense.
 
So I walked around the large and busy city of Tokyo for another half hour with I asked another person. They were much better help. Not only could I understand him but he mentioned that it was a shrine. So Kagome lived in a shrine. Does that mean she's a miko? Huh.
 
It wasn't long before I was looking up a long flight of stairs. So here's where Kagome lives, granted she wouldn't be home for another…I looked at my watch…ten or so minutes but that was fine. I can look at the shrine. Maybe even pray for her mom.
 
I walked up the stairs and was greeted with a small little paradise. It looked so peaceful here and the atmosphere just helped the feeling. Continuing my trek I made my way over to the area where one prayed. I threw my token thing in my father had given me on the plane incase I wanted to go to any temples as sightseeing and wished and prayed as hard as I could that Kagome's mom would get better.
 
I heard shuffling behind me and turned as I stood at the end of my prayer. An old Japanese man that must have been Kagome's grandfather and the priest of the shrine stood holding a pink sphere keychain.
 
“Konichi wa young man. Would you like on of these Shikon no Tama key rings?”
 
“Shikon no Tama?” The man gasped.
 
“You know not of the Shikon no Tama?” I just shook my head, I had a feeling the man would tell me. “The Shikon no Tama is a jewel made from the purest and darkest energies. It is said that it is able to grant any wish the one who has it wants. It is also able to strengthen it's owner a hundred fold.”
 
“Jii-chan, are you telling that story to the temple goers again?” I looked up and began to relax for the first time in days. Kagome had just walked up the steps and was looking at us. Here eyes widened as she saw me and she froze. “Shou…” I smiled and walked up to her.
 
“Hai, Kagome. I've missed you.” I wrapped my arms around her and felt her relax as well. Who knew I had that kind of effect for her. “How's your mom? Is she doing all right?”
 
“Shou…” She looked up at me, tears beginning to shine in her eyes. “I don't know. She looks so weak…” I tightened my grip on her and closed my eyes. God, please don't let her mother die.
 
“Kagome, who is this?” I heard her grandfather ask behind us. She pulled away and I stood next to her as we faced to old man.
 
“Jii-chan, this is Hibiki Sesshoumaru.” His eyes narrowed and looked at me.
 
“You're the boy who called earlier?”
 
“Hai.”
 
“What are you to Kagome?” I looked to Kagome and she just nodded.
 
“I am her boyfriend.” There was a silence for a minute or two and Suoh looked at Kagome intently.
 
“Is he better than Kouga or that Naraku you've told me about?”
 
“Hai.” Kouga, Naraku? Do I have rivals and not even know it?
 
“Well, Sesshoumaru, would you like to stay for a while? I'm sure Kagome could use some comfort right now.”
 
“I would be honored.” I bowed and the three of us entered the house.
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
It was late and Kagome's grandfather went to bed an hour ago. I looked at my watch, it was eleven o' clock. I had an hour to get back to the hotel. I think I shall take a taxi, I'm not real keen on walking in a foreign country where I've never been before, or any place I've never been before for that matter, in the dark. Who knows what could happen.
 
Kagome and I were curled up on the couch with a movie on. She had long ago told me of how things were with her mother and such. She was better than she had been in the beginning of the school year, nut much though, but it was still a lot for Kagome to handle. I was glad I came. She was beginning to think it was her fault her mom got sick because she wasn't home as much as she should be. I quickly got rid of that notion and many others that were forming.
 
Kagome yawned and I looked down at her. I have to admit, I was tired and she has had long days for a while now, I'm sure she's exhausted. “Kagome.”
 
“Hai?” Her voice sounded very sleepy.
 
“I think I should go and let you sleep. You seem very tired.”
 
“No.” She grabbed my arm and held tightly. “I don't want you to leave yet. I'm glad you came and I missed you. I was such a wonderful surprise.” She looked at me as she spoke. “You make it easier to deal with the reality over here.”
 
“All right.” I said and patted her hand. “I'll stay a little longer.”
 
“Arigato.” It wasn't long though that I felt her relax fully and heard her breath even out. I smiled as the girl I loved slept in my arms. I relished the feeling for a minute or too.
 
I even closed my eyes in bliss. Funny how I don't remember anything after that.