InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Neighbor ❯ The Battle Rages ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Battle Rages
 
 
Twitch, twitch…
 
InuYasha half rolled over, keeping his arms firmly locked around Kagome's waist and doing his best not to wake her up as he tried to discern just what had pulled him out of his slumber. `Hm, that damn kitten stopped yowling,' he noted.
 
He'd just about slipped back to sleep, nose buried back in Kagome's hair, when the distant sound of glass shattering tugged at him.
 
That wasn't a normal night-time noise…
 
Sighing, InuYasha disentangled himself from his fiancé and headed to the door with one last longing glance at the warm bed. He may not have felt cold like humans, but he certainly knew “comfy” when he was wrapped in it…
 
“Damn you, asshole!”
 
InuYasha's ears perked and he tilted his head back. Damn it, he should have known The Neighbor would have been involved…
 
Cussing under his breath at the kitten as she wound her way around his ankles, InuYasha slowly made his way to the kitchen window, peering outside and jerking back as a heavy, black stereo zipped down from the floor above, crashing on the what sounded like a car below.
 
InuYasha said a quick prayer of thanks that his car was parked on the opposite side of the parking lot. The further from that crazy bitch, the better!
 
“You whore! I spent good money on that!”
 
“How the hell can you call me that?! You slept with her!”
 
“I was drunk!”
 
Crash! Bang! A vase followed the same path as the stereo, shattering on top of the car. InuYasha wondered if the bitch even realized (or cared) that somebody's innocent vehicle was being destroyed in her rage.
 
Oh well, maybe it was hers.
 
“InuYasha?” A tired yawn broke out from behind him, and he turned to wrap his arms around Kagome, as though to shield her from the crazy shit taking place one floor up. “Wha's goin' on?” She rubbed an eye with the back of a fist and he shivered, falling in love with her all over again - she was just so damned cute!
 
“Nothin' too big,” he responded, pointing out the window; a box full of what appeared to be comics fell past next, the subsequent crash finally setting off a car alarm.
 
“God damn it, you fuckin' cunt! Those were collectibles!”
 
“Then go down and collect them… along with the rest of your shit! You're out of here as of tonight, mister!” InuYasha actually cringed as a computer monitor flew past the window; Kagome's eyes nearly bugged out of her head.
 
“Are they crazy? They're going to wreck the cars out there!”
 
The computer's tower fell next, and another car alarm joined in the cacophony.
 
InuYasha snarled at the annoying, repetitive nails-against-chalkboard noises but tilted his head up when he heard what sounded like somebody hitting another.
 
He may want to crack The Neighbor's skull on a fairly regular basis, but InuYasha did not put up with men hitting women. Ever.
 
“Ow, ow, ow! Fuck bitch, put down the fuckin' broom! I'm goin', I'm goin'!”
 
`Okay,' InuYasha conceded, `That's pretty hilarious. At least the bitch has a backbone.' Now if only she had a brain to match…
 
Sharing looks (`Ya wanna?'), the two judged the situation safe from flying objects and went out the front door to gaze at the damage…
 
Just in time to see the ensuing fight in the parking lot as the owners of the two beat-up cars turned on The Neighbor and her dead-beat, cheating boyfriend.
 
The only thing that could have made it better, InuYasha decided, would have been popcorn.
 
The next morning, he was delighted to salvage some mint-condition comics from the disaster-zone below.
 
----
 
 
Disclaimer: Unfortunately, I do not own nor rent InuYasha or the characters of… though I own an ever-expanding collection of merchandise! The “real” InuYasha belongs to the genius of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
“The Neighbor” is a collection of nine pieces set in an Alternate Universe. The collection was written for the LiveJournal Community FirstTweak, for the “SFX” challenge.
 
“The Battle Rages” was written for the “Fuaaa” (or “Yawn”) prompt.
 
“The Battle Rages”, coming in at 610 words, was posted on LiveJournal on August 16th, 2009.