InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 8: The Battle Begins ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 8

"Sesshomaru!" Inuyasha shouted. Kagome, Sango, and Miroku were taken aback. How did Inuyasha know this guy? "So you are the leader of this demon revolt? Why do you continue to do this?! Wasn't my mother's blood enough for your revenge?!!" Then it hit Kagome.

"That's Inuyasha's brother!!!" Kagome shouted. Gasps spread through the crowd.

"How do you know?" Miroku asked.

"Because, his brother killed his mother years ago. They had the same father, but not the same mother. Sesshomaru's mother was a demon; Inuyasha's was a human. Sesshomaru detested his father for mating with a human and sent a pack of demons on them killing them both. Inuyasha's father died protecting his mother, and his mother died protecting him!" Kagome stated.

Sango and Miroku exchanged worried glances. They were worried what this new information would bring to the battle.

"Stupid hanyou!" Sesshomaru said. "Humans disgust me, which is why your mother's blood was a mere appetizer to me. My goal is to rid the world of anything human including worthless hanyous like you!" Kagome growled and took a step forward. She knew if he saw her, he would be distracted from Inuyasha. Sesshomaru smiled evilly at her and took a step towards her. "Well if it isn't Kagome Higurashi." Inuyasha was quick to react. He jumped in Sesshomaru's path.

"If you lay even a finger on her…I will kill you!!!" he said protectively.

"It seems you and this priestess have met Inuyasha," he said coolly. He frowned. "Out of my way! I have no time to mess with you!" He swung his sword at Inuyasha, but Inuyasha back flipped back to where Kagome and the others were.

"Are you okay?" Kagome asked running to his side and taking hold of his arm. He didn't look at her, but nodded. She backed away slowly.

"Foolish hanyou!" Sesshomaru said with an evil smile. "Have you forgotten my sword already?" He pointed his sword at Inuyasha and applied pressure.

"Sesshomaru!" Kagome called running from the others. "It's me you want!" She released an arrow that hit Sesshomaru's sword knocking it's attack away from the others just to melt a hole into the ground.

"Kagome, NOOOO!" Inuyasha shouted.

"Stupid girl!" Sesshomaru said and pointed his sword at her releasing its splintering attack. Inuyasha reacted. He ran straight towards Kagome.

"UGHHHH!" he grunted as he jumped on top of her blocking the attack and knocking them both to the ground.

"Inuyasha!!!" Kagome screamed as she noticed the cuts in his haori seeping blood. He was still on top of her. He slowly lifted himself from her.

"Are you okay?" he asked still hovering over her. She nodded.

"But you…" she began.

"I'll be fine!" he said cutting her off. "Kagome, this is no ordinary demon you are dealing with here. Be careful! We need you." She couldn't allow herself to die. They both stood up. Sesshomaru smiled.

"Seems you and this girl know each other better than I thought!" he said coolly. "That will make my victory that much sweeter." The battle then ensued. Sesshomaru lunged towards Inuyasha who blocked his attack with tetsaiga. As the two fought, the rest of the demons took that as their signal to attack everyone else. Priestess, priests, exterminators, and demons fought each other while Sesshomaru focused his attention on Inuyasha and Kagome. Kagome felt helpless as she watched everyone fight. No matter how many demons the others would kill, reinforcements would keep coming.

"There's too many of them!" Kagome heard Sango shout.

"Just keep fighting!" Miroku said. Even though there were more demons dead than priest and exterminators, it didn't matter. The demons just seemed to appear out of thin air. They had to be coming from somewhere. Inuyasha and Sesshomaru continued to fight. Suddenly, Inuyasha smelled a demon scent mixed with Kagome's. He turned his head quickly to see a huge snake-like demon sneaking up on Kagome from behind. Kagome could only sense demon blood. She couldn't smell demon blood so she couldn't smell the difference from one demon to another. `There are probably too many demons around for her to notice!' he thought panicking.

"Kagome!" he shouted.

"Big mistake!" Sesshomaru said and sliced Inuyasha's chest. Inuyasha fell back. `Kagome,' he thought as he looked at her through his pain. He gathered his strength to run to her, but Sesshomaru jumped in front of him blocking his path.

"NO! KAGOME!!!" he shouted. Sesshomaru blocked his vision. All he saw was the demon dive towards Kagome. He heard her scream and then saw a black cloud of dirt and dust.

"No! Kagome!" shouted Sango and Miroku.

"Get out of my way BASTARD!!!" Inuyasha screamed swinging his sword. His fury carried him. He sliced at Sesshomaru time and time again until finally he injured his arm. This would at least give him time to run to check on Kagome. He ran into the black cloud.

"Kagome! Kagome, where are you?" he shouted. The smoke soon cleared and he saw it. The demon lying there with a purity arrow through its chest and Kagome a few feet away on her hands and knees gripping her bow and panting from fear. He ran to her side. "Kagome are you okay?" he asked examining her. She had a huge gash on her left arm where the demon had grazed her. She gasped when she noticed his chest wound.

"Inuyasha!" she exclaimed.

"I'm okay!" he said. "He just grazed me! What about you?" He touched her wound.

"I'm okay, too," she said. "It just grazed me, too!" Kagome slowly started to see a figure appear in the dust. "Inuyasha, look out!" Inuyasha jumped up just in time as Sesshomaru swung his sword. He landed back down in front of Kagome. Inuyasha drew his sword.

"Kagome, find out where these demons are coming from! These demons just don't appear out of thin air. The others won't last much longer," he said and attacked Sesshomaru. Kagome looked at the others. A lot of them were already dead. Their numbers decreased as the demons' numbers increased. She watched as a demon injured Sango.

"Sango!" she screamed. She knew she had to find out where they were coming from. She was the only who would be able to see it anyway so it was up to her. She heard another slice to Inuyasha and watched as Miroku got injured as well. Her friends were falling apart around her. She had to do something. That was when something shot through her. It was a feeling of determination. She started running. She knew she had to find out where the demons were coming from. The others stopped for a moment to see her aura. It had changed somehow. She looked around for what seemed like ages when…she spotted it! It was a black void that was releasing endless amounts of demons. She ran straight for it. Sesshomaru noticed her actions and jumped to stop her. Inuyasha raced after him and blocked his path attacking him and giving Kagome time to reach the void. A lot of the demons coming from the void turned their attention towards Kagome rather than the priests and exterminators. Sango, Miroku, and the others began attacking as many demons as they could to help Kagome get to the void, but there were still too many. They headed straight for Kagome.

"Kagome!!!!" Inuyasha shouted. He continued to fight Sesshomaru to stop him from getting to her. He knew if he didn't continue to block Sesshomaru, he would chase after her and kill her, but the demons would probably kill her too. Kagome had to deal with the demons on her own. Just then Kagome stopped running just short of the void. She calmly reaching to her quiver and pulled out an arrow. She pulled it back and released the arrow quickly followed by two more. The three arrows emanated a blue light and shot through the demons smoothly killing every demon in its path. The arrows continued traveling killing hundreds of demons on their path towards the void. The others stared in amazement and curiosity. Even Sesshomaru and Inuyasha had stopped fighting to see what transpired before them. The arrows soon pierced through the last few hundred demons and reached the void. The arrows pierced the void causing a huge wave of light and wind to sweep over everyone and everything. When the light disseminated, the black void was gone. Everyone was quiet at first and then cheered. The priests and exterminators began eliminating the remaining demons. Kagome whirled around to look at Sesshomaru. Inuyasha had a proud look on his face and Sesshomaru had an angry one.

"Well, priestess," Sesshomaru began. "I had a feeling this would happen." Just as he said it, three other demons appeared. The first was a woman dressed in a kimono and holding a fan. The second looked like a little girl and she was holding a mirror. The third was dressed in a baboon cloak.

"Just who the hell are these nutcases?" Inuyasha demanded.

"Allow me to introduce myself," the first said. "I am Kagura, leader of the southern lands."

"I am Kanna," said the second. "Leader of the eastern lands."

"I am Naraku," the third said. "Leader of the northern lands. When Sesshomaru approached us with his plan, it was an offer we couldn't refuse."

"Long have I dreamed of a world without humans," Kagura said.

Inuyasha and Kagome looked towards Sango and Miroku who were running up to them.

"You weren't kidding when you said they were after us, were you, Miroku?" Inuyasha whispered. "All of the demon leaders are here."

"I told you," Miroku whispered back. "They wipe out you and Kagome, they have a good shot of wiping out us all, so they obviously are focusing all of their force towards us." Inuyasha looked back to the demons that stood in front of them.

Kagome, oblivious to Miroku and Inuyasha's conversation, stepped forward and said, "Just what do you want with us? Why have you focused all of your attention on us?"

Miroku and Sango gulped. Sesshomaru and the others smiled. "You really don't know, do you, priestess?" Kagome stood there dumbfounded and shook her head. The demons laughed. "Well, I suppose there is no use in spoiling it, so you will just have to find that information out at another time!"

"What's he talkin' `bout Miroku?" Inuyasha asked. Miroku knew that it was now time to spill the beans.

"To give a quick summary, Kagome is the reincarnation of a great and powerful priestess named Kikyo that lived many years ago. Back then, the same war between demons and humans emerged. Because of Kikyo, the humans were victorious and the demon/human laws were passed. Now, history is fated to repeat itself," Miroku explained. "Kagome is far more powerful than Kikyo, but something she lacks is experience. I'm sure that when the demons sensed Kagome's powers emerge, they wanted to attack her as soon as possible so she could not learn of their full potential." Inuyasha looked at Kagome as he let all of this new information sink in. He looked from Kagome to his opponents.

"What happened to Kikyo?" Inuyasha asked. Miroku gulped.

"She died saving the human race," he said almost under his breath for he knew that Inuyasha would not take this information well. Inuyasha's face grew pale then red with anger.

"Well, it looks like that's one part of history that I'm not going to allow to repeat itself," he said and stepped in front of the others in a protective manner. He looked back to other exterminators and priests killing off the last few demons that remained. `This is it,' he thought. `We have to take out these leaders or humanity is doomed.'

"Hey, Sesshomaru!" Inuyasha said drawing his sword and pointing it at Sesshomaru. "Let's finish this once and for all!" Sesshomaru smiled coolly and drew his sword.

"Eager, are we?" Sesshomaru said. "Is humanity really worth your death?" He looked at Kagome. "Or perhaps it's that little wench that you are so desperately protecting!" Inuyasha's face began to burn with anger. "Don't worry, Inuyasha. After I kill you, I will take good care of her…when she becomes my bitch!" Inuyasha had heard enough and lunged at Sesshomaru.

"You'll never touch her, you sick fuck!" Inuyasha shouted as their swords clashed. "You'll…*clash*…have…*clash*…to get…*clash*…through me!!!" Everyone gasped as Inuyasha took one swing with tetsaiga sending Sesshomaru flying back. His allies even stared in disbelief. Sesshomaru stood up slowly and started gathering himself together. He wiped a few small drops of blood from the corner of his mouth. He smiled surprising everyone.

"I had no idea you were in love, Inuyasha!" Sesshomaru said. Kagome and Inuyasha blushed, but neither of them said anything. Sesshomaru frowned. "Love is for the weak! It must be that sickening human blood in your body allowing you to love her!" Sesshomaru griped his sword crouching into a fighting stance. "I will rid you of that human blood!!!" Sesshomaru lunged at Inuyasha continuing their relentless battle. Kagura stepped forward.

"Might as well get this over with," she said arrogantly. She brought her fan to her face covering her face from the nose down. "Quit gawking at them! Your fight is with us!!!" She swung her fan across her body sending what seemed like tiny, splintering darts of red light towards them. Sango jumped over them. Miroku dove to the ground. Kilala grabbed Kagome and jumped over the darts.

"Thanks, Kilala," Kagome said. Miroku stepped forward.

"The wind witch is mine," he said gripping his staff. Sango looked at Kanna.

"I take little miss pathetic!" Sango said moving towards Kanna. "Kilala, help Kagome!" This left Naraku and Kagome. Naraku walked towards Kagome and stopped only about twenty feet short of her.

"So I am left with an inexperienced priestess and cat!" he said with a laugh. "This should be most interesting." He jumped towards her, but Kilala grabbed Kagome and took to the air avoiding his attack. Naraku shot a tentacle at the two but Kilala jumped over it then bit it off. This was repeated time and time again.

Meanwhile, Miroku was facing off with Kagura. "Hmph!" Kagura said. "I'm disappointed. I wanted the priestess! But no harm done. Let's make this quick, shall we, so I can claim the priestess' life!" She brought her fan across her body sending darts out again. Miroku twirled his staff bouncing the darts back towards Kagura. Kagura did a few jumps and flips to avoid them. She stood up with a growl.

"Very well, monk!!!" she said swinging her fan in front of her yet again. This time wind with the force of a tornado was released towards Miroku. Soon, a tornado whirled around him making him invisible. Kagura began releasing endless amounts of darts into the tornado. Miroku's sickening screams of pain could be heard for miles around.

"Miroku!!!" Sango shouted. She started to run towards him, but she knew she had her own battle to fight, otherwise, Kanna would chase after Kagome. Whether Sango wanted to admit it right then or not, it was more important that Kagome stay alive at this point. "I'm sorry, Miroku," Sango said softly allowing a single tear to stain her cheek. She looked towards Kanna. Kanna stood there awaiting her attack. Out of anger that she couldn't help Miroku, Sango flung her boomerang towards Kanna. "Hiraikotsu!" she said watching her boomerang travel to her enemy. Kanna calmly allowed her mirror to reflect Sango's attack back at her. Sango screamed as the boomerang flew back towards her knocking her to the ground. She lay there unconscious.

"Miroku! Sango!" Kagome screamed. Just then, Naraku took Kagome being distracted as an opportunity and grabbed her from Kilala's back. "Aghhhh!!!" she screamed as the tentacle constricted around her.

"Kagome!!!" Inuyasha shouted, but Sesshomaru made sure that his attention was on him only by continuing to attack him again and again. Inuyasha swung his sword at Sesshomaru knocking him to the ground again and leaped off towards Kagome. Sesshomaru soon caught up with him and continued to fight him.

"It's amazing how your strength increases when that little wench is in trouble!" Sesshomaru retorted and took one swing with his sword sending Inuyasha pummeling to the ground leaving a long ditch behind him.

"Inuyasha!!!" Kagome screamed. The others finished off the last of the demons and started racing towards Kagome to help her, but Kanna ran in front of them blocking their path. With one flick of her mirror, she drew out all of their souls. Kagome gasped as she watched in disbelief. Kilala continued to bite at the tentacles in an effort to save Kagome, but there were too many of them. She couldn't get to her. Kagura approached the tornado as Kanna approached the still unconscious Sango and Sesshomaru approached a wounded Inuyasha. Kagome witnessed all of this. "LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!" she shouted as tears started to run down her face. She knew none of them were dead…yet. "STOP IT!!!" she screamed at Naraku. "Let me GO!!!" Just as she said it, Naraku's tentacle began to burn as if he was holding on to fire itself. Inuyasha began to gather himself. His head was facing in her direction and he watched as he tried to stand up. Naraku dropped her.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha yelled wincing in pain as she fell. Kilala caught her just before she hit the ground. Kilala took a couple of leaps away from Naraku, then set her down. Kagome walked in front of Kilala. `Where did that come from?' she thought. Naraku looked at her in disbelief. He was still confused as to how she burned him. Kagome looked around her. She saw Sango still lying on the ground unconscious, she saw a badly wounded Inuyasha, and somehow she was able to see through the tornado and realized that Miroku was still alive trapped inside. Kagome turned back to Naraku with a cold stare. She knew everything now. She began to faintly glow a brilliant blue. Her hair whipped in the wind as it blew over her. Her expression was calm and challenging. Fear overwhelmed Naraku so he attacked. He shot a tentacle straight towards her. Kagome reacted quickly readying her bow and arrow before the tentacle was even half way to her. She released the arrow. The arrow glowed bright blue as it traveled through the air soon piercing the tip of Naraku's tentacle. The arrow traveled up the tentacle soon reaching Naraku's body. He hollered in pain as the arrow ripped him apart soon leaving nothing behind, but a baboon cloak. Kagura, Kanna, and Sesshomaru witnessed everything. Kagura was the first to panic and attack Kagome with her darts. She swung her fan in front of her releasing her darts of red light towards Kagome. Kagome twirled her bow sending the darts of now blue light traveling back to Kagura with lightning speed. The returning darts were to fast to dodge. Kagura screamed as the darts ripped her to shreds and she too then dissipated into thin air.

"Hmph!" Kanna said walking towards Kagome. "I won't be so easy!" She pointed her mirror at Kagome. Kagome stood still remembering what had transpired earlier with the other exterminators and priests. Kagome grabbed another arrow, readied it, and then released it. It soared over Kanna's head. "Hmph!" she said. "Pitiful archer, aren't you?!" Kanna turned around when she realized that she hadn't been Kagome's target. The arrow pierced through the tornado stopping its winds. The winds fell apart releasing a badly injured Miroku. He fell to his knees. Kanna turned her attention back to Kagome. Kagome reached into her quiver to pull out another arrow.

"Kagome, no!!!" Miroku shouted. "You saw what happened to Sango!!!" Ignoring his comments, she pulled back another arrow and released it.

"Kagome!!!" Inuyasha shouted now standing up. Kanna smirked as the arrow soared towards her mirror. Kanna caught the arrow with her mirror, but instead of the arrow being reflected back, it was absorbed. Kanna laughed.

"I told you nothing would happen you stupid girl!!!" she said laughing. Everyone else was shocked. Inuyasha and Miroku were thankful that the arrow hadn't been reflected and Sesshomaru was simply glad that he hadn't lost yet another ally. He was about to return to fighting with Inuyasha when Kagome gave everyone a smile that even sent chills down Sesshomaru's spine. Suddenly, a strong light blew out of Kanna's mirror causing to have to brace herself. As the bright white light emerged, little green balls of light began to float out as well.

"MY SOULS!!!" Kanna shouted as the souls found their way back to their rightful owners. "You bitch! What did you do?"

"My arrows are arrows of purification and healing," Kagome said. "Obviously that mirror of yours needed some purification." The light died down and the mirror shattered into a million pieces. Kanna dropped to her knees touching the broken pieces of her mirror as if it would somehow help her mirror to suddenly come back together again. Kagome stepped in front of her. Kanna lashed out at Kagome sending Kagome flying back to the ground with Kanna on top of her.

"You little bitch!" she shouted choking Kagome.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha shouted jumping forward to run after her, but was held up by Sesshomaru swinging his sword at him. Inuyasha jumped dodging his efforts and using tetsaiga to block him. Kagome clawed the hands gripped around her throat in vain. Her vision was started to blur and her hearing was fading. Suddenly, however, her vision and hearing began to be okay and she noticed that the hands that did have a death grip on her neck were now loose. Kagome looked up to find Miroku's staff buried four inches deep into Kanna's head. Kanna fell to the ground beside Kagome and sunk into the ground never to be heard from again. Kagome looked up to Miroku who was bracing himself on his staff. She stood up and hugged him. Even if it was Miroku, a tiny pang of jealousy hit Inuyasha. As she hugged him, he began to feel a little better. He then released himself from her quickly.

"No!" he said. "You need all of your powers. I'll be fine." Kagome smiled. She knew he definitely would now. Her smile faded when she saw Sango. She and Miroku ran over to her and knelt beside her. She was just beginning to come around. She tried sitting up, but it was in vain. Kagome looked pleadingly at Miroku and he nodded his head. Kagome laid her hand on Sango's chest and closed her eyes. Sango's eyes soon shot open as if she had just been given a shot of caffeine. Miroku stopped her as soon as he knew Sango was well enough to finish the battle. Kagome needed all of the strength she had. Inuyasha, meanwhile, had somehow managed to fight and back flip his way over to them. The four of them now stood…facing the last of the Japanese demon leaders…but, by far, the most powerful.