InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 18: Kagome's Thoughts and Feelings ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: First I just want to thank you guys for being such great and loyal fans!!! I posted chapter 17 and like four hours later there had already been five reviews! Oh, for that I will work hard to update as much as I can! Thanks so much guys!

I decided that I would answer a couple of you guys' questions on this chapter, too.

FireDemon86: Thanks for being a loyal reader and I will update soon!

Kaye: Thanks! I promise to update really soon! Kagome is pretty cool in this story!

Jubilation15: Yeah, I got tired of Kagome never being able to defend herself on the show until it was absolutely necessary. I am trying to make her as kick ass as possible! Oh, and she is only going to get even more kick ass as the story continues!

Katina108: I am a romantic at times myself! Don't worry there will be lots of Inu/Kag fluff to come! And have patience! Inuyasha and Kagome will come around in due time!

Runswithopenfists: Haha! I love your name! Oh and there will be plenty of more fluffy moments! Inuyasha and Kagome will divulge deep into their relationship as chapters continue. Try to pay attention to the way Inuyasha and Kagome act around each other in battle too. I reveal a lot then. Oh, and yes you were reviewer # 5!

White Tiger Princess: I hate to reveal this information, but since you asked…no…Sesshomaru is NOT dead. He will play a part in later chapters.

Ladykaa28: As far as Kagome letting down her guard, she let down her guard because she knew that it was useless to fire an arrow at him. He would only blow it back at her or blow it away. Kagome also has a hidden meaning for letting down her guard, which you will see in this chapter. And yes, they are too deep for the others to see. You have to remember that she ran for 30 minutes!

RavenShadow2004: Thanks! I promise to update!

KatrinaXaten: Haha! My thoughts exactly!

Kagome's Reincarnation: Let's face it! We all know that them admitting their feelings for each other is coming! And I can assure you that it won't be when one of them is dying! But think about it! If the REAL Inuyasha had him and Kagome admit their feelings for each other right away then what would we have to look forward to?

Kitsune_Bi: Yay for you too! Thanks for reviewing!

Lor: Yeah…cliffies are evil, huh?

A NOTE TO EVERYONE: First, I want to thank everyone who ever reviewed! You guys are great! I just addressed the ones who reviewed after the last chapter was posted! I was so proud of you guys that I thought you all deserved some recognition! If you reviewed before and I left a question you had out, review again and I will be sure to include you on the next chapter. Second, be sure to pay attention to the little things: when Kagome and Inuyasha are in battle, when they are by themselves talking, how they react to the way other people treat them, etc. I reveal a lot during those times. Sometimes you have to read into it.

Well, here is the awaited Chapter 18. Enjoy!

Chapter 18

The man walked towards Kagome. She didn't move. She couldn't move. She didn't know what she would do if she did move. The man smiled sinisterly and kept taking slow steps towards her. He was aware that she was a priestess and could have powers other than a bow and arrow so he was being very careful.

"That's it," he said coaxing her. When he finally reached her, he stood in front of her and looked her up and down. "Nice catch indeed!" When he looked down again, Kagome took the opportunity. She punched him in the face, kicked him in the groin, and then kneed him in the face when the man buckled over in pain. She took off running. She ran as fast as she could though she had no clue where she was going. She knew if the man ever caught up to her, he wouldn't go easy on her. She looked over her shoulder as she ran checking to see if the man was hot on her trail or not when she suddenly ran into something hard.

"Oof!" she huffed as she made impact. She lifted her gaze to find…the man!

"Wh…how did you…what the…" she stammered in disbelief that the man had caught up to her so quickly.

"You stupid bitch!" he said grabbing her by her throat and squeezing tightly so Kagome couldn't breathe. "I know these woods better than anyone else around here. You were running in circles. I caught up to you easily!" He was angry. Kagome had had the nerve to strike him and he wasn't going to go easy on her. He thought about killing her, but then an evil grin came across his face.

"I had a mind to kill you, wench!" he said with an evil smile. "But now I've got a better idea! I will get my powers…then I will kill you!" If Kagome could have breathed, she would have gasped. She began to struggle in his grasp, but to no avail. He quickly flung her to the ground. `Not again!' Kagome thought.

"No…please…don't…do…this!" she cried gasping for air now that he had released her. He laughed.

"You sealed your fate back there bitch!" he said and slapped her across the face.

"Ugh!" she choked out as his hand made impact with her face flinging her face first to the ground. He had hit her so hard that he had nearly knock her unconscious. She rolled over and fluttered her eyes to clear her vision. She could hardly see anything. Everything was a big blur. Kagome felt the man grab her thighs and pull her towards him. She could see colors, but that was about it. She saw green, brown, black, and…red?

"GET THE FUCK OFF HER!!!" the red thing shouted landing a hard punch to the man's face. The man slid fifteen feet on the ground and was soon unconscious. The red thing walked towards the man and towered over him. Kagome tried to focus her vision. She was trying to make out her savior, but still could only see blurred colors. The red thing cracked its knuckles and glared down at the man. The man soon came back to consciousness and looked fearfully up at the red thing.

"Any last words?" it asked. The man shook his head no and jumped up to take off running only to be thrown back down to the ground by a hard punch to the back of the head. The punch was so hard that it had nearly killed the man on impact.

"Don't kill him!" Kagome suddenly shouted. The red thing looked in her direction and then looked back at the man. It grabbed the man by the throat and lifted him a few feet off the ground.

"If you ever touch her again…if you ever come near her again…with or without her permission, I WILL KILL YOU!" it said emphasizing the last statement. It then dropped the man to the ground with a thud. The man choked and sputtered and then scurried away. Kagome's vision was coming to. She was starting to be able to outline things. The red thing came over to her and bent down in front of her.

"Kagome?" it asked. "Kagome, are you okay?" It gently placed a clawed hand under her head so it could lift her slightly. Kagome knew that touch. She knew those hands. She knew that voice.

"Inu…yasha?" she asked.

"Yeah?" he replied. She heaved a sigh of relief.

"I-I can't see…very…well," she stammered feeling quite dizzy. "I'm so glad…it's you." Inuyasha smiled to himself.

"How'd you know it was me then?" he asked a little confused.

"Voice…touch…" she said drifting off as she lost consciousness.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha sputtered. "Kagome? Come on Kagome! Wake up! Don't drift off on me now! You were hit! You can't be doing this! Wake up!" He shook her gently trying to wake her up. He knew she didn't need to be unconscious after being hit like that. She could have a concussion and go into a coma. "KAGOME! Come on! Wake up! Please!" He began to get worried. He continued to shake her. Finally, Kagome came to. She fluttered her eyes open to meet Inuyasha's amber orbs.

"Wh-Where am I?" she asked a little startled.

"We haven't moved or gone any where. It's okay. I'm right here with you," he said gently. He pulled her into his lap and cradled her like a child. He ripped part of his shirt off and started to wipe the sweat and dirt off of Kagome's face. Neither of them spoke to each other for the next few minutes.

After Inuyasha was satisfied with Kagome's cleanliness, he sat there and stared off into space…still cradling her in his arms. Kagome was almost back to full consciousness and noticed that neither of them had said anything to each for a good ten minutes now. Kagome finally decided to break the silence.

"I'm sorry," Kagome said leaning her head against Inuyasha's shoulder.

"For what?" he asked flatly still staring straight ahead.

"For everything," she said. "I overreacted back at camp and I should have never in a million years hit you." Inuyasha began to catch the scent of salt. He glanced down to Kagome and she was crying. He squeezed her a little tighter to comfort her.

"Don't worry about it," he said. "I shouldn't have tried to be so controlling over you. I shouldn't have said what I said either. I-I-I'm sorry." Kagome's eyes grew wide. This was the first time Inuyasha had ever apologized to her since she had known him. Her face softened, but for some reason, she began to cry even harder.

"You just wanted me to be safe is all," she said. "I should have listened. None of this would have ever happened." She nuzzled her face into his chest and began to cry harder. He glanced down at her.

"Let's just forget all of this ever happened, okay?" he whispered in her ear. She nodded. He gave her a comforting squeeze and began emitting a low growl from his chest. It was neither threatening nor menacing, but comforting and loving…almost like a purr. Kagome immediately began to calm. When she realized that she was calming, she looked up at him.

"What was that?" she asked curiously.

"What was what?" he replied.

"You emitted a low growl in your chest and before I knew it, I felt all better. What was that?" she asked again. He blushed, but smiled.

"It's just something among dog demons. It almost comes naturally. It's a growl meant to comfort pups or console loved ones," he said looking off into space. His blush had grown and he was quite embarrassed that he had emitted that growl even before he knew it. Kagome blushed as well, but smiled. She placed her head back on his shoulder and wrapped her arms around him tightly.

"Thank you, Inuyasha," she said. He looked down at her.

"For what?" he asked.

"For everything; for saving my life multiple times; for taking care of me; and well…for just plain caring," she said giving him another squeeze. "I was a fool for not listening to you." He squeezed her back.

"I told you that I would never let anything happen to you Kagome…and I intend to uphold that," he said. Though Inuyasha couldn't see her, Kagome smiled brighter and sweeter than she ever had before. Inuyasha continued, "That's the reason that I didn't want you running off out here by yourself." He sighed and rested his cheek on the top of her head. "You're my best friend, Kagome. I can't let anything happen to you. I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

`Wow!' Kagome thought. `He is being so open with me. He must have been really scared when I took off from him the way I did. Come to think of it, that was the first time Inuyasha and I had ever left each other on bad terms.' They sat there holding each other for a few more minutes before Inuyasha broke the silence.

"Now," he said lifting his cheek from her head. "Are you okay?" Kagome gave him a questioning look.

"Other than a painful cheek, I'm fine," she replied. Inuyasha shook his head.

"That's not what I am referring to," he said. "Are you okay with everything else?" He raised his eyebrows at her and she immediately caught his drift. She looked away from him, a look of sadness on her face.

"That's not the answer I wanted," he said. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. Inuyasha immediately became sad as well.

"I'm just afraid," she began, "afraid that home will never be the same now that everyone will know who I am. I'm scared I will never be able to see my family again. I'm scared of what this may bring for my family. It hurt so bad to have Yuri and them do and say the things they did." Inuyasha gave her a confused look.

"But they didn't say anything about you," he said. "They just said stuff about me." Kagome looked up at him.

"I know…and that hurt," she said. Inuyasha was taken aback.

"What?" he asked in utter shock.

"I didn't like it when they were treating you the way they were. You say that you will always protect me. Well, I will always protect you from people like that…even if it means giving up my identity," she said. Inuyasha could have been knocked over with a feather. She did all of that for him? He had just assumed that she felt like it was an attack on her since she was basically in the same situation…liked by neither race.

Kagome saw the shocked expression on his face and said, "What is it? Why do you look so stunned?"

Inuyasha shook his thoughts from his head and said, "Well, I just assumed that you felt like you were being attacked too, you know, since we are basically in the same situation, and that's the reason you attacked."

Kagome thought about it for a minute and then said, "To be perfectly honest with you, it never really crossed my mind. When I saw the way they were treating you, it really made me mad, so I decided to reveal myself to them so that THEY could see that I was no different from you and to back off."

`So that was her reasoning?' he thought. `She was just trying to protect me?'

"I knew it would really baffle them when they found out that I was a priestess. There is no telling how much longer they would have continued their assault if I hadn't stepped in," she said. "Besides, I couldn't believe that my friends were behaving in such a way…being so critical of someone before they even knew them." Inuyasha smiled.

`Why didn't I think of that before?' he thought. `Kagome has never liked it when people prejudge.'

"But you really shouldn't have done that, Kagome," he said softly. "You're…you're just like me now. I mean I don't think your situation is quite as bad because I am a hanyou, but in essence, we're the same." Kagome smiled.

"What's wrong with that?" she asked surprising Inuyasha.

"Well…uh…that is…you're always on the run…and food is scarce…and…," he stammered before Kagome placed a finger to his lips.

"Well, I guess we're just going to have to put up with each other then, huh?" she said with a sweet smile. "Seeing as how we are going to be faced with the same problems in life." Inuyasha smiled back and nodded.

"I guess so," he said. `And I really do not have a problem with that, Kagome,' he thought. `I will take care of you.'

"Inuyasha?" Kagome asked breaking through his thoughts.

"Yeah?" he replied.

"Can you stay close to me tonight?" she asked resting her head back on his shoulder. "I feel so much safer when you are around." Inuyasha's heart began to beat wildly in his chest.

"Uh…sure," he said a heavy blush creeping onto his face.

"And Inuyasha?" she asked.

"Yeah?" he replied again. `What could she possibly ask of me now?' he thought as his mind began to travel into the gutter. `CLEAR YOUR HEAD DAMNIT! QUIT THINKING DIRTY!'

"Could you do that low growl thing you were doing earlier?" she asked. "It felt so comforting." `And loving,' she thought but decided to leave that part out for fear that Inuyasha would refuse to do it. For some reason Kagome could almost feel how Inuyasha truly felt about her when he did that.

Inuyasha blushed. He didn't know what to do. He hadn't told her that if the growl wasn't meant for pups, then it was normally emitted when they were trying to console someone they were in love with…like a wife or girlfriend. It was also emitted for other family members, but rarely, and almost never for friends. He actually had done it earlier out of pure accident. It would be rather embarrassing for him if Myouga was around and heard it, but since he knew that no one was anywhere near them, he decided to comply.

"Okay," he said nodding his head. Inuyasha continued to cradle Kagome in his lap with her head on his shoulder as he began to emit the same low growl as before. A sweet and satisfied smile emerged onto Kagome's lips as she listened to the rumbling. Inuyasha was actually pretty nervous about doing it now that he was aware of it. At first, he constantly looked around and sniffed the air to see if anyone was coming, but soon he relaxed and melted into the growl. He looked at Kagome and as he looked at her, he began to realize that the growl was almost impossible to emit for someone you didn't sincerely care about. Inuyasha was able to give the growl without any problem or second thought. It came so naturally to him until it was almost as second nature as breathing.

`What could this mean?' he thought. `Do I truly, sincerely care for Kagome that much?' As he pondered this thought, he turned his attention to Kagome who was resting with her eyes closed and head on his shoulder. Before he knew it, he was leaning down towards her…towards her lips. He was going to kiss her! He was mere centimeters away from her lips when…

"Inuyasha," Kagome moaned in her sleep stopping Inuyasha's movements. He backed off and looked at her wondering what caused her to moan like that.

"Oh," he said out loud realizing that he had changed pitch in his growl when he began leaning towards her. Different pitches in dog demons' growl yielded different results. He was now emitting a growl meant for seducing a mate rather than comforting a mate. He quickly changed his growl back as a huge blush crept onto his face.

`I need to be more careful,' he thought. Soon, Kagome was fast asleep. It was then that Inuyasha decided he needed to start walking back to camp. With Kagome still cradled in his arms, he stood up and started walking.

* * *

"THAT'S IT! IT'S BEEN TOO LONG! I'M GOING AFTER THEM!" Sango shouted grabbing her boomerang.

"Please, Sango!" Miroku urged. "I assure you they will be fine. Just sit down and enjoy the fire." Sango shook her head.

"Miroku, what if something has happened to them?" she said with a desperate look on her face. "I mean, Inuyasha is not invincible ya' know!"

Myouga meanwhile watched the two quarrel in amusement. They were probably the most amusing couple he had ever seen.

"Just give them time. They will be back soon," Miroku said.

"And just what am I supposed to do until then, huh? Sit here and knit?" she asked angrily.

"Well, you know," Miroku said with an evil grin as he reached out and grabbed Sango's butt.

"HENTAI!!!" she screamed and hit Miroku over the head with her boomerang.

`I take that back,' Myouga thought. `They are THE MOST amusing couple I have ever seen!' Miroku rubbed his aching head as he looked up at an angry and impatient Sango.

"Okay, okay," Miroku said. "Give them another fifteen minutes. If they're not back by then, then I assure you that I will go and look for them myself." Sango's eyes lit up, but then she frowned.

"But they could be dead by then!" she said impatiently.

"Says who?" a voice called out. Sango, Miroku, and Myouga watched as Inuyasha emerged from the trees with Kagome in his arms.

"Inuyasha!" Sango exclaimed running up to him. When she reached him, she noticed Kagome's lifeless form. "Oh God! Is she okay?"

"Shhh!" Inuyasha said. "She's fine. She's just resting."

"Oh," Sango whispered to him. Inuyasha walked over to Kagome's sleeping bag and gently slid her in it. He brushed the stray hairs away from her face and then sat next to her…as close as he could get to her without touching her. He sat in his usual Indian-style position with his arms folded into his haori and stared down at her. Sango and Miroku exchanged a smile as they witness how caring the hanyou was towards their friend. Myouga also smiled. He knew that Inuyasha cared about Kagome, probably even loved her, and he had only been around them a day. He also knew that the hanyou was too proud to ever admit such a thing.

"What happened?" Sango asked. "How and where did you find her?" Inuyasha began relaying the story to them and Sango gasped.

"Poor Kagome!" she exclaimed. Inuyasha nodded his head.

"I'm just glad that I got there in time before anything else happened to her," he said with a shudder. The thought of Kagome's innocence being stolen from her both scared and infuriated him. Myouga noticed him shudder proving his idea of Inuyasha being in love with Kagome even further.

"Master Inuyasha," Myouga began. "Why don't we all get some rest. Now that we know everything is okay, I'm sure we all can sleep peacefully."

"I agree, Myouga," Inuyasha said. "You guys go ahead and turn in." Sango and Miroku nodded and snuggled into their sleeping bags…their separate sleeping bags. Even though Sango was now "official" with Miroku…she still didn't want any middle of the night groping. Myouga smoothed out his sleeping bag and then crawled in it. He rested his head on his pillow and was about to drift off to sleep when he noticed that Inuyasha hadn't moved from his position.

"Master Inuyasha? Aren't you going to get any rest?" he asked. Inuyasha looked at Myouga.

"No, Myouga. I will keep watch in case that good for nothing villager decides to come back for Kagome," he said folding his arms tighter to his chest. Myouga sat up.

"I will keep watch if you wish my Lord," Myouga said. "I rested quite well back in the city. You need your rest more than I do." Inuyasha shook his head. "But my Lord you are of no use to Lady Kagome if you are too tired to fight." Inuyasha looked at Myouga. It was then that he noticed that Myouga had been referring to Kagome as "Lady Kagome" the entire time. He normally only addressed a woman as "Lady" when they were married to one of the lords. Inuyasha remembered Myouga addressing his mother as "Lady" and his father as "Lord" and "Master". Myouga also addressed Inuyasha as "Lord" and "Master". He was slowly starting to put two and two together.

"Myouga?" Inuyasha asked. "Why do address Kagome as `Lady Kagome'? The only other person I have ever heard you address as such is my mother." Myouga smiled and decided to seize the opportunity.

"Because, my lord, Kagome is a very respectable woman. She is a priestess and is very high in stature among those familiar with the prophecy. It is only right that I show some sign of respect towards her," he said. He then took a chance. "Besides, my lord, if you do not mind me saying, she is very kind and treated me the same way your mother and father always had. She reminded me of your mother and she even had the same grace and presence of `Lady'. If you do not mind me saying, my lord, as you have taken your father's place, I would love to see Lady Kagome take your mother's place." Myouga tensed waiting for Inuyasha's reaction…hoping that he wouldn't pummel him for suggesting such a thing.

"Get some sleep," was Inuyasha's reply. "We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

"But…master…I…"

"I said get some sleep!" Inuyasha snapped.

"Yes, my lord," Myouga replied in obedience and tucked himself away in his sleeping bag. Inuyasha watched Myouga fall asleep.

`That Myouga,' Inuyasha thought. `Just like Mom and Dad. Suggesting things but not being too pushy about them. Now, that I think of it, Kagome is a lot like Mom…a lot like a `Lady'." He looked down at her and smiled. `Oh, Kagome. Help me decide what to do when we arrive at the castle.' Deep down inside, Inuyasha knew that his decision would be at least somewhat based around Kagome though he would never admit it. He looked into the sky. A crescent moon lit up the sky. He sighed.

`It won't be long now,' he thought.

A/N: Yay! Another chapter is finished for all of my loyal fans! **blows kisses to the crowd** I love you guys! Okay, now if you guys can give me 10 reviews this time I will post the next chapter! Ya'll post 5 reviews so quickly last time that I hardly have time to write the next chapter! But I guess that just means that you really like the story! Thanks guys!!!

Oh, and look at the last thought from Inuyasha. I want guesses as to what everyone thinks I am talking about.

Oh, and remember…suggestions, suggestions, suggestions!!! I like suggestions! I want to know what else you think I should make happen to them! I take people's advice, too. Speaking of which…I suppose I will announce who I got an idea from…

Aditu: Yep! I took YOUR advice! I hadn't thought about them just visiting the castle before you mentioned it, but when I read your review, I started thinking about all kind of things I could make them go through on the way and when they got there. Thanks for your review ;)