InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 26: Kouga's Conversation ( Chapter 26 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Hi guys! Thanks so much for being patient! I know I am a little late but please forgive me! You guys are the best fans ever! YAY!!! Okay well here is your awaited chapter!

Chapter 26

"You come back here, Miroku!" Sango heard Inuyasha shout as Miroku ran past her. "I'm going to kill you!" Sango looked at Myouga who shrugged his shoulders.

"Inuyasha, I'm sorry! I was just trying to tell you dinner was ready!" Miroku shouted as he ran.

"Come back here you sick monk!" Inuyasha shouted as he ran past Sango and the others. Sango sighed as she watched Miroku and Inuyasha disappear out of the cave's entrance.

"Miroku must have walked up on Inuyasha and Kagome in an awkward position," Sango said as she took a bite of her fish. Myouga nodded.

"Inuyasha! Stop it!" Kagome yelled as she ran after them. Sango, Shippo, and Myouga watched as Kagome disappeared out the entrance of the cave. They soon heard a couple of punches just outside of the cave.

"Knowing Miroku, he probably made some sort of perverted comment, too," Shippo said. Sango nodded.

"Well, let them fight it out," Sango said. "We'll just have more fish!" Myouga and Shippo giggled and agreed. They continued to eat for just a little while longer when something hit Myouga.

"You know…," Myouga said. "Do you really think that they should be out there?" Sango and Shippo quit chewing and looked at him.

Kagome walked outside alone. She couldn't believe that she had lost sight of Miroku and Inuyasha. `Where'd they go?' Kagome thought. She looked back. `I hadn't realized I had walked so far. Where's the cave?' She suddenly felt a chill go up her spine. `Demons!' she thought. She turned around and ran as quickly as she could.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha was pounding on Miroku's head oblivious to the fact that Kagome had even followed them. They weren't very far from the cave. Miroku had taken a left when he ran outside the cave in an effort to lose Inuyasha. Miroku held up his staff preventing Inuyasha from landing another punch.

"Okay, so I deserved the first couple of those punches, but that's it!" Miroku said with a smile.

"Hmph!" Inuyasha said and folded his arms in his haori.

"Inuyasha! Miroku!" Sango shouted when she found them. She ran over to them, but then looked at them curiously. "Where's Kagome?"

"She should be in the back of the cave, why?" Inuyasha said. Sango's face turned pale.

"You mean she's not out here with you guys?" Sango said. Inuyasha realized what was going on. Inuyasha grabbed Sango's shoulders.

"Sango, where's Kagome?" he asked.

"She ran out after you guys! I haven't seen her since!" Sango said in a panic. Inuyasha released Sango and leaped after Kagome.

`Damnit, Kagome! Where'd you go?' Inuyasha thought as he leaped. Miroku walked over to Sango and put an arm around her.

"Do you think we should go after them?" Sango asked Miroku.

"No," Miroku replied. "I'm sure Kagome just wandered off. Inuyasha will not let anything happen to her." Sango nodded and she and Miroku walked back into the cave.

Kagome ran as fast as she could though she had no idea where she was going. She tried to sense Inuyasha, but couldn't. All she could sense were the demons approaching her. Kagome reached for her bow and arrow. `Oh no!' she thought. `I left my arrows in the cave.' She did the only thing she could think of after that.

"INUYASHA!" she screamed.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha ran as fast as he could trying to pick up Kagome's scent. Finally, he found it. Then he heard her. She screamed his name. It was definitely her. `Is she in trouble?' he thought. He ran even faster.

"Kagome!" he shouted.

Kagome ran and ran. She looked behind her to see if anyone was coming when she tripped over a tree root and fell flat on her face. Then, she sensed it…a demon. She looked up to see a figure in the shadows.

"No!" she shouted crawling backward. "Inuyasha!"

"Shhh!" the figure said clamping a clawed hand over her mouth. "It's me! It's me!"

Kagome looked up to see a pair of golden orbs staring at her. She flung herself on him in a tight hug.

"Hey, what's wrong? Are you okay?" he asked.

"No!" she said frantically. "The demons! They're coming!" Inuyasha didn't even respond. He picked up Kagome and began running back towards the cave. Kagome was panting. She didn't want to be kidnapped again. She suddenly felt something warm on her arm. She looked up to see…blood! Inuyasha was pushing himself too soon. He was in no physical condition to be doing any of this.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome exclaimed.

"Ignore it!" he commanded. "I'm fine!" They soon reached the cave. Sango and Miroku saw their panicked expressions.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Sango asked.

"The demons! They're coming! They were probably sent by Kouga!" Kagome said.

"Sango!" Inuyasha shouted drawing his sword. "You and Miroku look after Kagome!" He then turned to walk out the front of the cave only to be stopped by Kagome.

"No! Inuyasha you are in no condition to fight!" Kagome said as she held onto his arm. He looked at her.

"I have to Kagome!" Inuyasha said. "They'll come and get you if I don't. I have no choice. Put your barrier up as soon as I leave!"

"I'm not sure if I know how, Inuyasha! Stay here and use tessaiga as a barrier!" Kagome pleaded.

"No! I need to draw them away from here!" Inuyasha explained. "They don't need to think that I am protecting something. I'll lure them away from here."

"Inuyasha, no!" Kagome said as a tear fell down her face.

"Put up a barrier, Kagome!" Inuyasha said and then ran out of the cave entrance. Kagome fell to her knees.

"He doesn't stand a chance," Kagome said. "I've seen Kouga's tribe. There are way too many of them." Sango knelt next to her friend and rubbed her back.

"Correction, my Lady," Myouga said. "Inuyasha has powers that even you haven't seen." Kagome looked at Myouga.

"Huh?" she said.

"I know you have probably seen him use kaze no kizu. While powerful, it is not the most powerful of Inuyasha's attacks," Myouga said.

"It's not?" Kagome said.

"No," Myouga replied. "Kaze no Kizu can wipe out a hundred demons in one swing."

"What?" Shippo shouted.

"But there are even more powerful attacks that Inuyasha can use," Myouga said.

"That may be true, but he was in no physical condition to take off like that! Look!" Kagome said pointing to the blood still on her arm. "His wounds reopened when he had to go after me like that! I can only imagine what could happen when he battles the demons!" Kagome jumped up and grabbed her bow and arrows.

"I'm going after him!" Kagome stated.

"No, Kagome!" Sango and Miroku shouted. "That's exactly what Kouga wants! He wants to lure you out of hiding so he can steal you from Inuyasha!"

"But you guys would never let that happen right?" Kagome said. Sango and Miroku exchanged glances. "All of you can stay here if you like! But whether you like it or not, I am not going to leave Inuyasha out there all alone!" With that, she ran out the front of the cave.

"Kagome!" Sango shouted grabbing her boomerang. "Kirara!" Kirara roared and transformed as Sango jumped on her back. "Kagome, I'm coming! Inuyasha would never forgive us if we let you out there all by yourself!" Miroku sighed and shrugged his shoulders at Myouga.

"Might as well follow them," Miroku said. "Inuyasha won't lay a finger on them, but he will kill me!" Miroku, Myouga, and Shippo ran out the entrance of the cave and had soon caught up with Sango and Kagome.

* * *

Meanwhile, Inuyasha ran through the forest with his claw clutched to the hilt of his sword. `They're close,' he thought. He soon came to a clearing. Wolf demons were everywhere. Inuyasha growled and crouched down into his fighting stance. When the wolf demons heard Inuyasha growl, they all stopped what they were doing and looked at him. No one said anything. Soon, Ginta and Hakkaku ran up to the front.

"Inuyasha," Ginta said. "Kouga wishes to see you. He knew you would come."

"Keh!" Inuyasha huffed. "What makes you think I am dumb enough to come see him with his tribesmen surrounding me?"

"He also knew you would resist," Hakkaku said. "But he swears under the demon oath that he will not harm you, meaning…"

"I know what the demon oath is!" Inuyasha shouted.

From within the forest, five perceptive sets of ears listened intently to the conversation at hand.

"What's the demon oath?" Kagome whispered to Myouga.

"It's an oath between demons that basically says that neither party will be harmed. Basically, Kouga just wants to talk to Inuyasha, similar to the way the leaders of opposing sides of war would discuss the terms of engagement before actually battling each other," Myouga said. Kagome nodded.

Inuyasha's right ear swiveled towards their voices. `Damnit!' he thought. `What the hell are they doing here? I told Kagome to stay in the cave and set up a barrier!'

"Fine," Inuyasha said to Ginta and Hakkaku. "But it will just be me and Kouga." Ginta and Hakkaku nodded and began leading Inuyasha to Kouga.

"No one had better follow me either!" Inuyasha said looking into the forest and making eye contact with Kagome. Kagome gasped. `He knows I'm here,' she thought. Inuyasha then turned around to follow Ginta and Hakkaku.

"Don't worry, Inuyasha," Ginta said unaware that Inuyasha's companions were in the forest. "Hakkaku and I will lead you to Kouga and no one will follow." Inuyasha nodded his head and followed them.

"Should we follow him?" Sango asked. Kagome stared after Inuyasha.

"He doesn't want us to," Kagome replied.

Inuyasha kept his nose keen. Kagome's scent grew farther and farther away from him. `Good,' he thought. `She must have not followed me.' Inuyasha looked around him as he walked. The entire place was swarming with wolves and wolf demons. Something Inuyasha found strange was that there were no women or children. `This can't be Kouga's den then,' Inuyasha thought. `He must have led many of his tribesmen here for protection alone. I'd better keep my guard up. I don't feel good about this.' Soon, Ginta and Hakkaku had led Inuyasha to Kouga. Kouga sat on a straw mat still terribly wounded. He looked up at Inuyasha and smiled faintly.

"It appears I am not the only one still wounded," Kouga remarked as he stared at the large bloodstains on Inuyasha.

"You had better have brought me here for more than that!" Inuyasha retorted.

"I bring you here on business alone," Kouga said nodding for Ginta and Hakkaku to leave. They bowed and then walked away.

"What kind of business?" Inuyasha asked. Kouga sat up as straight as he could.

"After discussing matters with a few of my tribesmen, I have discovered who you really are Inuyasha," Kouga said with a smile. Inuyasha gave him a puzzled look. "You are the heir to the Western Lands. You're father and mother were overthrown by your brother leaving you, a hanyou." Inuyasha growled.

"What's your point wolf?!" Inuyasha said angrily. Kouga smiled.

"Inuyasha, I am also aware that you have not officially taken your place as Lord of the Western Lands," Kouga said. "In fact, if I am not mistaken, you haven't even seen your castle since your mother and father died."

"Be that as it as may, you still have yet to inform me of your point and why you have brought me here," Inuyasha said folded his arms. "What's all of this have to do with you anyway?"

"These mountains border your lands," Kouga said standing up. "Follow me." Inuyasha looked at him skeptically, but complied. Kouga limped along for a short while until he and Inuyasha finally came to the edge of a cliff. Inuyasha looked out over the cliff. He saw a beautiful mountain range barely visible under the morning sunlight.

"You have a quite a journey ahead of you," Kouga said pointing towards the horizon. "Your lands begin where these mountains end. I will grant you safe passage through these mountains. No harm will come to you or any of your companions." Kouga turned around and began limping back towards his original straw mat.

"So that's it?" Inuyasha asked. "You brought me here to tell me that you would grant me safe passage?" Kouga looked back at Inuyasha as he limped.

"No," Kouga said. "We will finish our conversation back where we were…where I am sure no one will hear us." Inuyasha nodded and followed Kouga back to his straw mat. Kouga sat down with a sigh of relief. Inuyasha sat in front of him.

"Our people have fought alongside each other many times," Kouga said. "Your father helped us maintain peace in these mountains. He would always come to our aid. It was almost as if we had an unspoken agreement to be allies. Our fathers were friends. My father came to your father's aid when Sesshomaru tried to kill your family, but, unfortunately, didn't get there in time. You showed the same grace your father had for so long when you spared my life. Why?"

"Don't think I didn't want to kill you!" Inuyasha said angrily balling his fists. He then relaxed and turned his back to Kouga. "Besides, it's pointless to kill someone unless you have no other choice. You recognized the fact that I had won the battle by giving me Kagome, so I let you go. It's as simple as that."

"Ah, yes…Kagome," Kouga said dreamily. "I will come for her when I am healed, but until then you had better take care of her." Inuyasha took a step back in shock.

"Wh-What? I told you to forget about her!" Inuyasha shouted. Kouga sighed.

"I cannot forget about the one I am in love with," Kouga said. Inuyasha's face was burning with anger and jealousy.

"I'm warning you! Stay away from her! She is not yours for the taking!" Inuyasha said. "I told you that I would not kill someone unnecessarily, but I would find it necessary to kill you if you ever came near Kagome again!"

"HA!" Kouga scoffed. "Then I would find it necessary to kill you so that she no longer had you! Without you, Kagome would be mine! This is not over, dog breath! Kagome is mine and I love her!" Inuyasha clutched the hilt of his sword as he growled. His face burned with jealousy and hatred.

"Go ahead and try to take her…if you have a death wish!" Inuyasha said angrily. Kouga smiled.

"Tell me, Inuyasha. Do you love Kagome?" Kouga asked. Inuyasha's breath caught in his throat.

"Th-That's not of your business you wimpy wolf! How dare you ask such a question!" Inuyasha shouted. Kouga smiled.

"I take that as a yes!" Kouga said.

"You'll take that as nothing, wolf!" Inuyasha said.

"Very well," Kouga said standing. "We will continue this conversation when we meet again. None of my tribesmen will harm you as you continue your journey, but you will see me again. As soon as I have recovered, I will come to find my Kagome. A woman who can rid the world of our enemies truly suits me. She will be great for my tribe and will bear me strong pups!" That was it. Inuyasha couldn't take it anymore. He was about to grab his sword and swing when he remembered the oath he had taken when he came to meet Kouga. He growled furiously then smiled.

"You know what?" Inuyasha said calmly. "I want you to try to take her again. I really do. It will give me an excuse to kill you! I would die before I saw Kagome in your hands again!"

"Oh, well that's good, then," Kouga said with a smile. "I might just have to grant your wish!" Kouga patted Inuyasha on the shoulder. "Until we meet again?"

"Until we meet again," Inuyasha said with a nod. Kouga snapped his fingers and Ginta and Hakkaku appeared.

"Take him away," Kouga ordered. They bowed and then escorted Inuyasha away from Kouga.

"I think I can take it from here," Inuyasha said after they had walked a little while.

"Very well," Ginta said. He and Hakkaku bowed and left. Inuyasha looked around him. All he could smell was wolves. He sniffed the air and soon picked up the faint scent of Kagome. He ran towards the smell taking out his anger on some unsuspecting trees as he ran.

`Damn Kouga!' Inuyasha thought as his claws slashed through a tree. `How dare he think he can address Kagome in such a way! If I weren't under the oath, I would have killed him right then and there! Kagome would never want someone like him! He doesn't deserve her! That wolf is going to die for thinking such things!' Inuyasha slashed through another tree.

"She'll be great for my tribe and bear me strong pups!" Inuyasha said in a mocking, somewhat girly tone as he slashed through another tree. "Feh! Over my dead body!"

* * *

"What was that?" Kagome said as she heard a tree crash to the ground. Miroku and Myouga looked into the distance and watched another tree fall to the ground.

"Lumberjack?" Miroku said and was shortly hit on the head with Sango's boomerang.

"Yeah right!" Sango said removing her boomerang from Miroku's head and standing up. "Whatever it is, it's coming our way. Everyone get ready." Everyone stood up and prepared themselves for a battle when Inuyasha appeared.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shouted running up to him. She had intended to hug him, but stopped just short. "Inuyasha?" His face held anger and sadness. "Inuyasha, are you okay? What's wrong?" Inuyasha snapped back to reality and smiled weakly at Kagome.

"Yeah, I'm okay," he said walking past her. Kagome and the others watched Inuyasha in confusion.

"Inuyasha, what did he say to you?" Miroku asked. Inuyasha sighed and began to walk away.

"Maybe he's just in one of those moods where he needs to be left alone," Sango said. Inuyasha suddenly stopped.

"Miroku, come with me," Inuyasha said with his back still facing them. Sango and Kagome exchanged confused looks. `Where's he taking me?' Miroku thought as he followed Inuyasha. He looked behind them. He could no longer see Sango and Kagome.

"Inuyasha, are you sure that it's a good idea to wander this far away from Sango and Kagome," Miroku asked.

"Kouga will not be harming us any time soon," Inuyasha said looking straight ahead. "His wounds are deep and he will not attack until he is healed." Inuyasha soon stopped and sat on the ground. Miroku sat next to him. He decided he would let Inuyasha do the talking.

"Miroku," Inuyasha began. "He's going to allow us to pass safely through these mountains." Miroku's eyes grew wide.

"Well, that's good isn't it?" Miroku asked. Inuyasha sighed.

"It turns out that my father and his father were good friends and fought along side each other in many battles. He said that I showed the same kind of grace my father did when I spared his life," Inuyasha said with a sigh.

"Okay, so why the long face?" Miroku asked.

"He may allow us to pass safely through the mountains, but he will be coming after Kagome," Inuyasha said. "Keep her in your sights at all times. I don't want Kagome to know about all of this, but you make sure that everyone else does. She is never to be left alone."

"Wait, but I thought you said that he was going to allow us to pass safely through the mountains," Miroku said.

"He did," Inuyasha said. "He has no intention of harming Kagome." Miroku watched as Inuyasha dug his claws into the ground. "He wants her for his wife." Inuyasha began growling menacingly. Miroku gulped. He knew Inuyasha couldn't have taken that news well.

"I will not allow him to have her!" Inuyasha said angrily. Miroku nodded.

"Don't worry, Inuyasha," Miroku said. "He will have to get through all of us." Inuyasha nodded.

"Thanks, Miroku," Inuyasha said. "I mean, I know Kagome is important to you guys too, but…" Inuyasha stopped. He couldn't say any more. The idea of Kagome being lost forever was too much for him to bear. "Let him come! Let him come for her! This time, my sword won't miss!"

A/N: Tada! Okay I hope you guys are happy!!! Yay another chappie! Okay…need some more reviews or visits or something! Tell your friends about it! LOL! Okay, well I will get the next chapter up within the next couple of days. School has gotten me really busy because this is drop/add week and I am trying to get my schedule straightened out. After that, I am free to update! REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW!