InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 31: Why me? ( Chapter 31 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Wow! I hope you guys like reading! This is a really long chapter! Sorry for it being so long, but I just kept writing and writing and couldn't stop! Oh well, on with the next chapter! Thanks to the reviewers!

Chapter 31

"Shikon no what?" Inuyasha asked.

"The Shikon no Tama," Sotoru said. "It is the jewel of four souls. Whoever possesses this jewel can basically do whatever they want. They are the most powerful being in the world. The jewel is only entrusted to those who will not use the jewel to make themselves more powerful. I didn't know it at the time, but this jewel is the reason my family and I moved here in the first place. My grandfather was a great priest and he had been entrusted with the jewel. I am the descendant of the great priestess Kikyo. While she never married, her sister was entrusted with the jewel when Kikyo died. The jewel was then passed down through each generation until my mother and father were left with the responsibility of protecting the jewel. They lost their lives in battle protecting it. Fortunately, my father and mother were priestly as well. They eventually were able to develop talismans through their combined power that when placed on the chest, made the jewel undetectable. Unfortunately, the demons already knew where the jewel was, so the attacks on the village continued. Some were interested in just feeding. Others wanted the jewel."

"So, why didn't you just take the jewel elsewhere?" Sango asked.

"And bring more suffering and devastation? Absolutely not!" he said. "The people of this town know what they face when they move here. That is also why this entire town is set up like an old marketplace. The town is small and the buildings we have can easily be rebuilt within a few days. If I were to ever take this jewel back to your town, Sango, people would eventually find out about it. If someone powerful enough ever wanted the jewel, they could take out an entire city, killing hundreds in the process. No, it's better if it is kept in a place like this."

"But the evil demons that would want the jewel are dead, right?" Sango said.

"That doesn't mean that the humans and demons that remain on this Earth may not want the jewel. The jewel itself can corrupt those with the purest of hearts," he said. "Someone may think they can handle it, but then the jewel slowly begins to take over them and it becomes their obsession. The jewel has never been used for good. When someone, human or demon, senses the jewel, their deepest desires surface, and unless they have a strong will and a good heart, there is no fighting it. They will try to take the jewel. There is only one person in this entire world that would ever be capable of doing good with this jewel since Kikyo." Sotoru turned and looked at Kagome. He closed the box, latched it, and replaced the talisman. He then walked towards Kagome until he was standing in front of her. He extended the box to her.

"This jewel is meant for you, Kagome," he said. "You are the reincarnation of the great priestess Kikyo. Only you can control, protect, and should it come to it, use its power for good."

Kagome looked at Sotoru and then back at the box. Sango and the others held their breath as they waited to see what Kagome had to say. Kagome looked at her friends. She looked at Sango who just stared at her in disbelief. She looked at Miroku who just smiled at her reassuringly, almost as if he had no doubt the jewel was meant for her possession. She looked at Shippo who just looked excited, confused, and a little scared all at once. Myouga, however, looked terrified. He stared at the box as if it were a ghost. Inuyasha remained expressionless with his arms folded in his haori. She thought back to how the jewel could turn half-demons into full demons. This would be the one thing she wouldn't be able to trust Inuyasha with. He could take the jewel at any time, and she really wouldn't blame him for doing so…not after the way he had been treated all of his life. Kagome sighed and looked at the box.

"I…I don't know if I can do this," she said shakily. Sotoru smiled.

"It's okay," he said. "I have faith in your powers Kagome. You can do this."

Kagome looked at Sotoru in disbelief.

"How do you know that?" she asked. "How do you know that this jewel is meant for me?"

"You are the reincarnation of Priestess Kikyo. That is proof enough," he said. "But if you want more proof, just touch the box."

"Huh?" she said. Everyone looked at Sotoru.

"Better yet," he said as he unlatched the box. "Hold the Shikon no Tama itself."

Inuyasha looked at Myouga. Myouga still looked terrified and shook his head at Inuyasha. Sotoru lifted the lid of the box so the pale pink jewel could be seen. He was about to get Kagome to pick it up when Inuyasha pushed her aside and stood in front of Sotoru.

"What are you getting at, kid?" Inuyasha demanded. "Why is it necessary that Kagome touch it?!" Sotoru smiled.

"She doesn't have to," he said. "It is her choice. She wanted proof that the jewel was meant for her and I was just giving it to her so that she could see the jewel is meant for her." Inuyasha growled and looked at Kagome. She looked stressed and confused. She didn't know what to do.

"Fine!" Inuyasha said. "But if anything happens to her, you remember I am right here behind you ready to slice off that head of yours!" Inuyasha flexed his claws menacingly and stepped out of the way. Sotoru gulped.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome scolded. He ignored her and stood next to Sotoru who extended the box to Kagome once again. Kagome stared at the jewel warily. She looked up at Inuyasha who scowled nervously. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She reached out and picked up the jewel so that is lay in her hand. At first, nothing happened. She just stared at the jewel in her hand. Then, suddenly, the jewel changed from a pale, dull pink to a radiant, bright pink that glowed in her hand. Kagome looked up to her friends immediately. They all held expressions of shock, but it was apparent that she was startled. She was scared. It was another thing she had to do. It was another job for her. She was confused and didn't understand how all of these things had happened to her lately. She didn't understand why everyone either praised her or wanted her dead, and she certainly didn't understand why she was given so much responsibility in the world. First, she was a savior of the human race and now she is the protector of a powerful jewel that, should it fall into the wrong hands, could bring devastation to the entire world….humans and demons alike. Kagome took a couple of steps back staring at the jewel the entire time.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha said in concern. He could tell something wasn't right. He could sense her fear and anxiety. He knew she could just snap at any minute.

She looked up at everyone. Her eyes were shaking as tears filled them. Then the tears fell. She began to shake.

"Kagome," Sango said soothingly. Her friends were really beginning to worry about her. Kagome began breathing heavily.

"Kagome, are you okay?" Inuyasha asked. She looked at him as the tears flowed down her cheeks.

"I…I can't do this!" she said dropping the jewel to the floor and running out of the room.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha called as he raced after her only to have a bedroom door slam in his face. He could hear her sobbing from inside the room. He tried to open the door, but she had locked it.

"Kagome," he said banging on the door. The others stared down the hall at Inuyasha. "Come on, Kagome. Open up!"

Inuyasha's ears lay flat against his head. It hurt him to know she was under so much stress. He decided it was best to leave her alone and walked away from the door to join the others. Sotoru picked up the jewel and placed in back in the box. Everyone returned to the living room and sat down.

"I do apologize," Sotoru said. "If I would have known that it was going to cause Kagome so much pain, I would have never mentioned it. It's just my parents entrusted it to me so that I would one day be able to give Kagome the jewel. They knew that I was around the same age as Kagome and would see the time that she would rid the world of evil demons. When that time came, fate would bring her to me, and I was to give her the jewel to look after."

No one said anything. Miroku and Sango stared at the ground while Shippo fidgeted with his fingers as he worried about Kagome. Myouga looked as if he was still trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, and Inuyasha held a scowl look on his face as he remained deep in thought. He rested his elbows on his knees. He stared off into space, really not looking at anything in particular, until his eyes fell on Kirara. His eyes lit up.

`Kagome loves animals,' he thought as the others contemplated why Inuyasha would be smiling at a time like this.

"Kirara," he said calling the demon cat forward. Kirara pranced over to Inuyasha and tilted her head to the side.

"Meow?" she said. Inuyasha bent down and scratched Kirara's head.

"Can you do me a favor, girl?" he asked.

"Meow?" she replied tilting her head even further to the side.

"Go sit by Kagome's door. Look after her. Do what you can to get her to let you in," he said. "Take care of her. Make sure she's okay. Try to calm her down."

Kirara's eyes brightened as she waved her tail back and forth in excitement. She gave a little nod and then scampered off to sit by Kagome's door. Everyone looked at Inuyasha and then to Kagome's bedroom door. No one said a word as they watched what Inuyasha had done. Kirara pawed and meowed pitifully at the door, begging Kagome to let her in. Everyone sat in silence for a couple of minutes as Kirara worked to get into Kagome's room. Then they heard it. The door cracked open and in walked Kirara. No one saw Kagome. All they saw was the door shut and lock again. Everyone looked at Inuyasha and smiled. Inuyasha blushed as everyone looked at him.

"WHAT?!" he said defensively. "You got something to say then say it!"

Sango and Miroku just shook their heads. Myouga continued to smile, and Shippo acted like he had no idea what the big deal was. Sotoru smiled at Inuyasha. Inuyasha growled at him because he was the only one who had maintained eye contact with him.

"What is it, kid?!" he demanded. Sotoru laughed a little.

"I don't understand why you get so defensive," he said with a laugh. "There's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of."

"Who said I was embarrassed?!" Inuyasha said jumping up. "And don't be getting any stupid ideas! She just needs some protection in case something happens and that's all I am concerned about!"

Inuyasha folded his arms and plopped back down on the couch. It was then that they heard Kagome crying again. Inuyasha's ears flattened against his head. He couldn't stand to hear a woman cry period…especially one he cared so much about. Sotoru rolled his eyes as he watched Inuyasha react to Kagome's sobs. He realized that Inuyasha really was as stubborn and prideful as he had heard.

"It is to be expected that Kagome would eventually have a breakdown like this," Myouga said. "I am surprised it didn't happen sooner. It just shows what a strong spirit that girl has."

"What do you mean?" Sotoru asked.

"Well, think about it," Sango said. "You're fifteen years old, attending school, and then one day you meet and befriend a half-demon only to find out later that the two of you are supposed to fulfill some prophecy and that you are supposedly the savior of mankind. Then you find out that Inuyasha, half-demon and best friend, is the heir to a large castle on the other side of the country, so you decide to make a long journey with him and your friends only to be attacked time after time with someone either wanting you as their wife or wanting you dead or praising you. Then you find out that the person you supposedly defeated back home may be alive and is appearing in your dreams. Then, she comes here only to find out that she has yet another job to do with the Shikon no Tama, which will only bring more attacks and more turmoil her way. I know Kagome though. She is a strong girl and just needs to get this out of her system."

"It's not just that with her," Miroku said staring at the ground. "I also know Kagome, and she probably thinks that she is putting us in danger by having all of this happen to her. She knows that we are never going to leave her side no matter what we find out about her, and I think she hates that she has put us in situations that might have our death sentences."

"But Kagome should know that we don't care about that, right?" Shippo asked. "I mean she's our friend. We'll stay with her." Sango smiled and looked down at Shippo. She nodded her head.

"Yeah," she said. "But that's what makes her upset. She doesn't want to put us in danger, and so she gets upset when situations like this happens. Just let her cry it out. She will be over it in a couple of hours."

"A couple of hours?!" Inuyasha exclaimed. "She can cry for that long?!"

Sango nodded her head.

"Just give her her space and time," Sango said. "She needs this. I am sure Kagome will take on the responsibility of the jewel. She just needs to get this out of her system…oh…and don't rush her Inuyasha. Be a little considerate of Kagome's feelings."

Inuyasha folded his arms and grumbled to himself.

"Oh, I never asked," Sotoru said suddenly. "What brings you all here? Are you all just passing through or did you come here for a specific reason?"

"Well, kind of both," Sango replied. "We had to pass through here anyway on our journey to the Western Lands, but we all were hungry so we decided to stop and get something to eat before we continued." Sotoru smiled and then looked from Sango to Inuyasha.

"My parents knew your father well," Sotoru said. Inuyasha's ears twitched. "He protected us many times. My parents would have died at a much younger age had he not helped us out." Inuyasha nodded.

"You lived here when you were younger before moving to where I knew you," Sango asked. Sotoru nodded.

"We originally lived here when I was younger, then we moved to where you guys live now because my parents wanted me to have an opportunity to live like a normal child. Then I was informed of their duties and although I hated leaving you, Sango, I had to go," Sotoru said. "Now, since I have lived here the longest and survived, most people around here kind of consider me the leader of this place. Up until you guys rid the world of evil demons, my life was a lot like Kagome's. I had to organize counterattacks on demons and protect the Shikon no Tama. I was praying that it would happen soon. There were too many deaths and I don't have any children so I didn't know what I would do with the jewel. As fate would have it though, I lived to see you guys here."

Everyone except Inuyasha smiled. Miroku shifted uncomfortably and hadn't said much the entire time. Sotoru stood up and brushed himself off.

"So, where are my manners? I believe I will go into the market and fetch you all something to eat," Sotoru said. Sango stood up.

"Oh, now you don't have to do that," Sango said.

"Oh, no, but I insist," Sotoru said. "My life is much easier thanks to all of you. Please do me the honor of serving you dinner." Sango glanced at the others.

"I guess it's fine with me," Inuyasha said shrugging his shoulders. "Kagome will be in there for a while so we might as well take this time to regain some energy."

Everyone else nodded in agreement.

"Okay," Sango said. Sotoru walked over to Sango and extended his arm.

"Would you like to join me in the market, dear Sango?" he asked. Sango glanced at Miroku out of the corner of her eye who just looked away as if he didn't care. She scowled.

"Why I would love to," she said a little too excitedly and took Sotoru's arm.

"Okay, we will be back shortly," Sotoru said. Inuyasha nodded. Myouga, Inuyasha, and Shippo watched as Sango and Sotoru left the room, then they all immediately directed their eyes to land on Miroku. He ignored their stares and just looked off into outer space.

"Um…correct me if I am wrong, but isn't she your woman?" Shippo asked Miroku.

"It's none of my business," Miroku replied flatly. Shippo fell on his back and rolled his eyes. Inuyasha sat there harnessing all of his anger inside of him until he finally let it out.

"Listen, dumbass!" Inuyasha said grabbing Miroku's attention. "If you are dumb enough to let that guy take off with your woman then don't come complaining to me!"

Miroku said nothing and just stared at the ground. Inuyasha rolled his eyes and stood up.

"Listen," Inuyasha said. "You got it easy man! She is yours and you know it! Just go get her back! Don't be stupid enough to let her take off with your woman!"

"It's none of my concern," Miroku said. "I just want Sango to be happy. If she is happier with him, then she needs to be with him."

"Look, I do agree with Sango on one thing and that is you need to stop groping her all the time," Inuyasha said flatly. "As much as you would like for her to be, she is not a sex toy!"

Miroku said nothing. He just sighed and stared blankly. Shippo and Inuyasha exchanged glances.

"Fine!" Inuyasha said. "But if you let her get away then that is your stupid fault!" Inuyasha walked to the front door. "I am getting some fresh air! You people are stressing me out!"

With that, he slammed the front door behind him. Myouga and Shippo exchanged glances. They were just about to say something when Miroku stood up.

"I don't think that is a bad idea," Miroku said. "Some fresh air would be good for me. I think I will go for a walk."

Shippo and Myouga watched Miroku walk calmly out the front door then grinned evilly.

"Let's go see what's going on with Sango and Sotoru!" Shippo said jumping to his feet.

"Hold on a second. Do you mean spying on them?" Myouga asked with a smile. Shippo smiled.

"No," he replied. "I mean going for a walk and if we happen to run into them then so be it." Myouga laughed.

"Well, I guess I don't have anything else better to do," he said as he stood up and followed the kitsune out the door.

* * *

Kagome sat up as she heard pawing and meowing at the door. She had run into the room crying and was now laying face down on the bed sobbing into the covers. She sniffled and looked at the door as she continued to hear scratching and meowing at the door. She smiled a little and realized that Kirara would probably cheer her up a little bit. Kagome walked to the door cautiously to make sure it wasn't some excuse for Inuyasha to get in. She closed her eyes and focused on her senses. No, Inuyasha wasn't there. It was just Kirara. Kagome unlocked the door and let Kirara in only to shut the door and lock it back quickly.

"Hey, Kirara," Kagome said pitifully as she laid back down on the bed. Kirara jumped on the bed next to her and began nuzzling her neck a little. Kagome smiled and petted Kirara's head.

"I don't know what to do, girl," Kagome said as tears filled her eyes again. "I just want to be a normal girl. I never asked for any of this."

Kagome began sobbing uncontrollably. Kirara meowed pitifully and pawed at her in an effort to comfort her. Kagome lifted her head and looked at the little demon cat.

"Don't let me make you worry about me, Kirara," Kagome said through her tears. "I just never understood why all of this was going on. I don't want to put you guys in danger. I don't want you guys to feel like you have to stay with me to protect me. That's not what I want. I just want everyone to be happy. Why did it have to come to this?"

Then, Kagome lost it and decided to just let out her tears and emotions. The bed was a perfect spot to do so too. Kagome continued to cry for a while until she cried herself to sleep. A little while later, she awoke with tear stained cheeks.

`I wonder how long I have been out,' she thought. Kirara lay curled up next to her on the bed.

"Meow!" she said happily when she saw Kagome was awake.

"Hey, girl," Kagome said patting the little cat on the head.

Kagome sighed and scooted herself to the edge of the bed, but when she did so, a pain shot through her butt.

"Ouch!" Kagome said aloud. She lifted the hem of her skirt to see what had caused her pain. On her butt were five puncture marks. It looked like claw marks….

"Oh God!" Kagome said gasping. She remembered back to her and Inuyasha's little encounter during his bath time. Her butt had hurt the entire time, but she had always assumed that she had landed wrong when Shippo jumped on her on their arrival back at the cave. She had no idea that it was because of this.

`He must have did this,' Kagome said. `Oh God! He would just die if he knew he hurt me…even if it was accidentally. I can't let him find out about this.' She pulled down her skirt so she was covered again and then breathed a sigh of relief.

`What was I thinking doing that anyway?' she thought. `I can't believe I did that. I can't let that happen again. Should I talk to him about it?'

Kirara sat next to her and then crawled into her lap breaking through Kagome's thoughts. Kagome smiled and started petting Kirara. Kirara flipped over on her back playfully pawing at Kagome's hands. Kagome giggled then sighed. Tears filled her eyes again as she thought back to why she had originally ran into the room. Kirara sat up immediately and stared at her sympathetically. Kagome looked out the window. It was a beautiful day and here she was sitting inside this room feeling sorry for herself. She began crying again.

"Kirara," Kagome said. "I just don't want to put my friends in danger any more. I don't want them to feel like they have to stick by me."

Kagome looked out the window again only to have her vision blocked by a figure standing in the window tapping on the glass.

"Agh!" Kagome screamed. "Inuyasha!"

Kirara jumped on the ground and transformed into her larger self. They both stared out the window to see the figure look up. A flash of red and the figure was gone. Kagome panted heavily. She looked up to see the figure still standing there.

"Agh! Help! Inuyasha!" she screamed. The figure tapped furiously on the glass trying to get her attention.

"Hey, stupid! It's me!" Inuyasha barked through the window.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome said with her eyes lighting up. She ran to the window and opened it.

"What just happened out there?" she asked.

"Nothing, really," Inuyasha replied. "I guess it was just one of these villagers trying to get a better look at you or something. He seemed perfectly harmless."

"You didn't hurt him did you?" Kagome asked. Inuyasha frowned at her.

"Not severely if that's what you mean!" he said. "I punched the shit out of the little bastard but that was about it! He shouldn't have been peeping on you like that! What if you had been changing clothes?"

Kagome smiled and shook her head.

"Okay, fine," she said. "It's not like I can do anything to change it anyway."

Kagome walked back over to the bed and sat down. Her face saddened again as her emotions took over her once more. Inuyasha's grim countenance turned soft and compassionate when he saw Kagome might cry again.

"You okay?" he asked jumping through the window and shutting it behind him. He made sure to shut the curtains as well.

Kagome shook her head no. Inuyasha walked over to her. He could smell the salt from her tears. He knew she was crying again.

"What gives, Kagome?" Inuyasha asked softly. "Why are you so upset?"

"I…I…just…want to be normal," Kagome said. Inuyasha smiled.

"Do you know how many times I have wished that?" Inuyasha asked.

Kagome looked up at him. Inuyasha was half-demon. Her situation was trivial compared to what he had been through. He walked over to her and sat Indian-style on the floor in front of her.

"Sorry, Inuyasha," Kagome said. "I guess I was being kind of selfish to feel sorry for myself. This is nothing compared to what you have been through."

"Well, it's about damn time you started worrying about yourself!" Inuyasha retorted. Kagome smiled slightly.

"Yeah, but I still want you guys to be happy," Kagome said through her tears. "When I take on more, I feel like it makes you guys take on more, too. I don't want that. I don't want you guys to feel like you have to go through this with me because you guys are my friends."

"Never stopped you, did it?" Inuyasha replied. Kagome wiped a few tears from her eyes as she listened to what he had to say.

"Kagome, when I first met you, I trusted no one. Hell, I didn't have any friends. I was half-demon, remember? Demons hated me and humans feared me. I still remember the life I led until I met you. You trusted me. You cared for me, but most importantly, you stood by me. When you found out about Father's castle, you were all too happy to join me in the journey home. You have never thought twice about standing by me since I have known you," Inuyasha said. "So just what makes you think that I am not going to stand by you?"

Kagome's bottom lip quivered as she leapt into Inuyasha's arms nearly knocking him over. She was crying uncontrollably.

"Hey, what gives?" he said in annoyance, but when he felt Kagome's body embracing his, his entire being melted for her.

"Shh! It's okay," he coaxed gently stroking her hair with his claws. He wrapped his arms around her tighter and she seemed to calm even more. Eventually, she had simmered down to a low whimper. Inuyasha lifted her up so he could look her in the eye.

"Everything's going to be okay, okay?" he said gently.

Kagome looked at him. He had never been this nice to her before. What was going on? Kagome smiled and hugged him.

"Thanks, Inuyasha," Kagome said. "I guess I just need to let it all out sometimes."

"Nothing wrong with that," he said. Kagome sat up and looked him in the eye.

"Thanks again, Inuyasha," Kagome said. "Not only for everything you do for me, but for opening up to me the way you did just now."

Inuyasha folded his arms and looked the other way.

"Feh!" he said. "Well, don't get to used to it! I just couldn't stand to hear you cry anymore!"

"You could hear me?" Kagome asked.

"Yeah," Inuyasha said pointing to his demon ears. "After Sango left with Sotoru, I decided to get some fresh air and sat on the roof. I heard everything. But don't think that I give a shit or something! You were just hurting my ears is all!"

"Oh," Kagome said, but then her expression suddenly changed to a panicked one. "Wait a minute! Sango left with Sotoru?! What on Earth for?"

"They said something about going and getting some food from the market," Inuyasha said.

"And Miroku just let her waltz out with him?" she asked in disbelief. Inuyasha nodded his head.

"I told him that if he was dumb enough to let someone take off with his woman then I didn't feel sorry for him," Inuyasha said. Kagome jumped to her feet.

"We gotta go stop them!" she exclaimed as she ran towards the door.

"Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute!" Inuyasha said grabbing her by her arm. "Hold it right there! You're not going to go spying on anybody! Leave them alone! Let them handle it themselves."

"Inuyasha!" Kagome said jerking herself from his grasp. "You don't understand! Sango loves Miroku! I just know it! He just doesn't treat her the way he should!"

"Well, duh!" Inuyasha said. "I would beat the shit out of him constantly to if I were her!"

"But she loves him and as her friend I have to stop her from making a huge mistake," Kagome said. Inuyasha shook his head.

"Let her make the mistake," Inuyasha said. "Look, I am better friends with Miroku than I am Sango, but still. The monk has to learn. Let Miroku be the one to stop them…not you."

"But I thought you said Miroku just watched them walk out," Kagome said.

"He did," he replied. "But I walked out right behind them and jumped on the roof. Miroku walked out shortly after heading in the direction in which Sotoru and Sango had traveled. Shippo and Myouga are up to something to though because they left shortly after Miroku. None of them acted as if they had any clue that I was even in the vicinity."

"Oh," Kagome said.

"Besides," Inuyasha said. "You need to rest for a while."

"Huh?" Kagome asked in disbelief. `Normally Inuyasha is demanding I get up so we can move on,' she thought.

"I'm fine, really," she said in protest. Inuyasha shook his head.

"No, you're not," he said. "Just five minutes ago you were balling your eyes out! Take this opportunity to rest, you stupid girl! Geeze! The others are gone! I will keep a look out for them while you rest."

"But what if something happens?" Kagome asked. Inuyasha rolled his eyes.

"What is it with women being so nosy?" he asked almost to himself. "Look, if anything happens I will know. I am half-demon, remember? I'll be able to tell."

He walked over towards her and bent over slightly to pick her up. When he tried to pick her up, she flinched because of her wounds.

`Oh God!' she thought. `I can't let him know that I am injured.'

"You okay?" he asked skeptically.

"Mmm hmm," she said nodding her head and biting her bottom lip at the same time. He couldn't have positioned her more perfectly for her to feel the pain of the wounds. Inuyasha continued to stare at her skeptically, still holding her in his arms. He held one arm behind her back and the other arm just under her butt, just below the wounds. The way he was holding her stretched out the wounds causing Kagome to wince in pain.

`When is he going to put me down?' she thought. Inuyasha then started sniffing the air.

`Oh, no!' she thought. `My wounds must have opened up from him stretching them so! Please don't let him smell my blood!'

"I smell blood," he said. Kagome gasped. "Your blood." He glared at her as if she was trying to hide something.

"Are you hurt, Kagome?" he asked half out of anger and half out of concern.

"Uh…no," she lied. Inuyasha sniffed her again.

"You're lying!" he retorted. "Where are you hurt at?" He began searching her body for wounds as he walked towards the bed. He plopped her down on the bed only for her to wince in pain.

"Ah ha!" he said. "Turn over!"

"No, you pervert!" she said trying to think of something to cause him not to do it. "What are you trying to do?" Inuyasha growled.

"You dumbass! There is a difference in looking at you for injuries and looking at you for…er…uh…JUST TURN OVER DAMNIT!" he said.

"No!" she said like a little child.

"Kaaagooomeee!" he said in a warning manner.

"No!" she said. "I am not doing it! You are just looking for an excuse to `search' me!" Inuyasha blushed and a look of shock overwhelmed his face.

"Let's get one thing straight! I got no desire to look at you like that, NOW TURN OVER!" he demanded angrily.

Tears filled Kagome's eyes as she shook her head `no' again. Inuyasha was baffled. Normally, Kagome would at least let him take a look at things. She would just watch him the entire time to make sure he didn't get perverted or anything. Now she was about to cry. He had no idea what was going on, but it made him only want to investigate things that much more.

"Kagome, what's going on?" he asked curiously. Kagome shook her head quickly. Finally, he had had enough.

"Kagome, please forgive me for what I am about to do," he said as he grabbed her and turned her over. She said nothing as she lay there. Though Inuyasha could see her face, tears had started to flow down her cheeks.

"I'll be really careful," he said. "And I promise I am not being perverted."

He lifted the hem of her skirt slightly. He saw nothing. He lifted it a little more and saw three marks on the lower part of her bottom. Inuyasha started gasping for breath when he lifted the skirt a little more to reveal five perfect claw marks…his claw marks. Inuyasha covered Kagome up with her skirt quickly and backed away slowly. His eyes were full of shock and terror. Kagome sat up, crying.

"You see," she said. "Now do you understand why I didn't want you looking?! I knew it would make you upset!"

Inuyasha's eyes stared straight ahead in disbelief. His breathing was heavy and his entire body was overwhelmed with shock and fear.

"Kagome," he finally managed to get out. "Did I do that?"

Kagome dried her eyes and looked at him. His eyes were trembling. She knew he wouldn't take it well. It was the first time Inuyasha had ever hurt her in any way…even if it was accidental.

"Yeah, you did," she said solemnly. "But it's okay! Really!"

"No, it's not!" Inuyasha said shaking his head. Tears flung from his eyes as he shook his head. He lifted his clawed hand up to his face and stared at it. He then balled his fist so tight until he was shaking.

"That should have never happened to you!" he said suddenly. "I'm sorry!"

He jumped towards the window, but Kagome grabbed him in mid-air flinging him down on the bed beside her.

"WHAT?!!" he demanded. His face burned red with anger.

Kagome scooted closer to him on the bed. She ran a hand through his silver hair trying to calm the hanyou down. She positioned her lips so they were right above his ear.

"It's okay," she whispered. "Please don't leave me. Stay here with me."

Inuyasha looked up at her in disbelief.

"Why? I hurt you Kagome! It would have never happened if I wasn't a stupid hanyou!" he said angrily slamming his fist into the bed.

Kagome smiled and wrapped her arm around him. He looked at her warily, not sure what to make of her actions.

"But I like that you're a hanyou," Kagome said sweetly.

Inuyasha's eyes trembled as he stared at the unselfish creature before him. She looked so innocent, so pure, so sincere.

"How can you say that?" he asked. He was shocked. "Kagome, I sometimes don't know my own strength. How do you and I both know that this will never happen again? I didn't intend for it to happen the first time. What if I hurt you unintentionally again…only this time more severely?"

"Inuyasha, I met you as a hanyou. I have grown to be close to that hanyou. Therefore, I wouldn't want you to be anything but a hanyou," she said softly. She ran her fingers through his hair. "No matter what the sacrifices are. You are my best friend in the whole world and I will stick by you no matter what."

He couldn't believe it. Even after that, she wanted him to remain the way he was. He sat on his knees and pulled her close to him. He squeezed her into a tight hug.

"Kagome," he mused. Kagome's eyes were wide open at first. He had never really hugged her like this before. There was something different about it. It was like she could sense his feelings for her. Did he love her? Kagome decided not to worry about it and hugged him back, closing her eyes and nuzzling her face into his chest.

"Please promise me you won't ever change," she said. "Please just promise me that if you really want to apologize for anything."

Inuyasha couldn't believe what he was hearing. She didn't want him to change. In fact, she wanted him to make it up to her by promising not to change. He leaned back and looked at her. She meant it. He could see it in her eyes that she sincerely didn't want him to change.

"Okay, Kagome," he said pulling her back into a hug. "I promise."

A/N: Dun, dun, dun! Okay, now some of you could probably figure out where that last part could come into play in the future! Yay! Done with another chappie! Thanks reviewers! Love you guys! Also, for those of you that requested it…there is some major Sango/Miroku fluff in the next chapter so look for it. It might be a couple of days before I get that one done though. See you soon!