InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 57: Sakura's Final Plan of Action ( Chapter 58 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Gomen! I had a severe case of writer's block! But hey! Now I know where I am going with the rest of my chapters! See ya soon! Thanks to all of my reviewers!
 
Chapter 57
 
Inuyasha walked down the corridor away from the Royal Chambers. He was deep in thought. He knew he needed to make a decision as soon as possible. This was too much on him and it was too much on his friends. He couldn't do this any more. He was going to make a decision within the next hour no matter what. He decided to devote the next hour to making his decision and ran off into the gardens.
 
Meanwhile, Sakura emerged from the other side of the hallway and watched as he disappeared. She smirked to herself. `It's time I take matters into my own hands,' she smirked. `Inuyasha is taking too long. He may be able to make a better decision once his woman is annihilated.' Sakura pulled out a key and slipped it into the keyhole of the Royal Chambers. She eased the door open to find Kagome in a deep sleep. `This is too easy,' she thought as she completed her task and swiftly left the room. Unbeknownst to anyone in the castle, a clear, odorless gas began to fill the Royal Chambers.
 
“Sleep tight, Kagome,” Sakura said as she returned to her room.
 
About thirty minutes later, Sango was on her way to the Royal Chambers to check up on Kagome. She had no idea that Inuyasha had told her to take a nap. She was still worried that Inuyasha may have said something to make poor Kagome even more upset. `What is it with him?' Sango thought. `He digs himself deeper and deeper.' Sango walked up to the door and knocked lightly. When no one answered she knocked a little harder. She reached down for the door knob and found the door was unlocked. `Strange,' she thought as she eased the door open to find Kagome fast asleep. Sango tip toed over to her friend to check on her and smiled. She was sleeping peacefully. `She needs this,' she thought. Sango's smiled faded, however, when she noticed the color had drained from Kagome's face. Sango immediately became a little worried. Was Kagome sick?
 
“Kagome?” Sango called out to her friend as she shook her gently. When she received no response, she began to panic. “Kagome? KAGOME! ANSWER ME! WAKE UP, KAGOME!”
 
Sango's face held horror as she took a couple of steps back and screamed at the top of her lungs. In the adjacent hallway, Miroku was walking with his nose stuck in a book. He recognized her scream and burst through the doors of the Royal Chambers. He found Sango on the ground screaming like crazy with tears streaming down her face.
 
“Sango, what's wrong?” he asked as he ran over to her and knelt beside her.
 
“Kagome!” she screamed as she pointed to her friend's lifeless figure on the bed. Sango screamed again, but more out of agony and panic. Miroku ran over to Kagome as Satoru, Shippo, and Kirara emerged through the door.
 
“What's going on?” Shippo asked as he jumped on the bed, but screamed when he saw Kagome.
 
“Shippo! You and Kirara go get the doctor now! Now Shippo go!” Miroku commanded as he frantically checked for Kagome's vital signs. Shippo jumped off of the bed, and he and Kirara bounded out the door in search of the doctor.
 
“What's wrong?” Inuyasha yelled as he ran past Satoru and over to Miroku. His perceptive set of dog ears had heard Sango's frantic scream. “I heard Sango scream. Sango, are you okay?”
 
Sango nodded as she cried frantically into her hands and stared at Kagome. Inuyasha followed her gaze and suddenly realized who was in trouble. He felt his heart stop beating in his chest as he stared at Kagome. He remembered the way she looked all too well. That pale face…it was a look he had never wanted to see again. He pushed past Miroku and lifted Kagome into his arms.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha said shaking her gently. His eyes shook with fear. “KAGOME?!”
 
“Stand aside!” the doctor ordered as he burst into the room. Some servants, including Sakura, had gathered outside the door and were peering inside to see what was going on. Inuyasha got out of the doctor's way and the doctor knelt next to Kagome. Inuyasha looked at Sakura. She had a fake worried look on her face and soon made eye contact with Inuyasha. She pushed past the other servants and into the room.
 
“What's going on?” she asked as innocently as she could. She gasped when she saw Kagome. “Is she going to be okay?”
 
Inuyasha said nothing as he stared at Kagome's lifeless figure as if that would somehow make her get better faster. Miroku looked at Sakura out of the corner of his eye. Sango still looked at her friend in desperation as Shippo and Kirara clung to her shoulders. The doctor suddenly quit examining Kagome and looked at everyone in the room.
 
“Does anyone else feel sort of dizzy in here?” he asked. Inuyasha was furious.
 
“What the hell does that have to do with anything?!” he yelled. “Kagome's life is in danger and…”
 
“Well, actually, yes,” Miroku and Sango interrupted.
 
“That's what I thought,” the doctor responded and pulled out an instrument from his briefcase. It looked like a thermometer, only larger and had a small hole at the end.
 
“What is that?” Shippo asked.
 
“It measures the amount of poisonous gas in the air,” the doctor replied.
 
Suddenly the instrument beeped and the doctor squinted through his glasses to see what the gas level was. He gasped and looked around the room until he found a vent. He placed the instrument to the vent and when he received the reading he jumped to his feet.
 
“Everyone out of the room! The vent is leaking poisonous gas,” he said grabbing a gas mask and placing it over Kagome's mouth and nose so she wouldn't inhale any more of the poisonous fumes. “Grab Lady Kagome and get her out of here.”
 
In a flash, Inuyasha had lifted Kagome and was carrying her out of the room as everyone else scurried down the hall along with them. The doctor decided to lead Inuyasha back to his examining room where he had more supplies. Miroku and Sango were the last ones to exit the room, but Miroku stopped Sango just outside the Royal Chambers.
 
“Sango,” he said. “Lend me your gas mask. There is something I need to investigate.”
 
Under normal circumstances she would have protested, but she was too worried about Kagome to argue with him so she threw him the mask without question and took off after her friend. Miroku fastened the mask on his face and went back inside the Royal Chambers. Miroku was no fool and he knew that a vent inside such an extravagant castle such as this one, would not just suddenly start leaking gas. He walked back over to the vent the doctor received the reading from. It was just under the bed. He squinted his eyes until he found what he was looking for. He walked out of the room and shut the door behind him.
 
“This was no accident,” he said.
 
Meanwhile, the doctor had laid Kagome in a hospital bed and placed an oxygen mask over her nose and mouth. Inuyasha gently stroked the top of her head as everyone else waiting patiently outside. Inuyasha was worried sick. He didn't know what to do.
 
“Is she going to be okay?” he asked the doctor. The doctor smiled and walked over to Inuyasha.
 
“She should be just fine,” he said. “We got there just in time. A few minutes longer and I wouldn't have been able to save her. I have her on a special machine that will balance out her oxygen supply. That along with her ability to heal herself should make her good as new in a couple of hours. Luckily she wasn't exposed to the poison gas long enough for it to kill her. It just made her pass out.”
 
“Damnit!” Inuyasha said turning around and slamming his fist into the wall. “I should have never left her side! I should have been there! I can't believe I am such an idiot!”
 
“Hey,” the doctor said. “Don't beat yourself up about this. It's not your fault. How were you to know that a simple nap could lead to this? You can't be around her all of the time.”
 
`That's right,' Inuyasha thought. `I can't be around her all of the time. Even if we were…there's only one thing left to do.'
 
“Hey doc, you think you can watch over her until she wakes up?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Of course,” he said.
 
“I want you to contact me as soon as you even think she is regaining consciousness,” he ordered. The doctor nodded.
 
“Where are you going?” he asked.
 
“There are a few things I need to take care of,” Inuyasha said.
 
A few conversations and two hours later, Inuyasha had managed to gather every single person that was in the house earlier that day into the dining hall. He looked around at everyone. Many servants were standing along the wall with a few of the other higher ranking servants seated in chairs at the table. Sakura, Rei, Sango, Miroku, Satoru, Myouga, and Shippo were seated at the table as well. Inuyasha stood at the head of the table and stared at everyone.
 
“For those of you that haven't heard,” Inuyasha began. “Kagome inhaled a large amount of poisonous fumes earlier today that nearly killed her. I want to know who was in charge of checking the vents earlier today.”
 
“I…I was sire,” a short, elderly man said at the far end of the table. Inuyasha marched towards the man and grabbed him by his shirt collar.
 
“Tell me! What did you find?! Why was there poisonous gas in the vents!!!” Inuyasha demanded rather angrily. The man shook with fear and couldn't find the words to speak. “Answer me!!!”
 
“Inuyasha, that's enough!” Sango said, trying to calm the hanyou down.
 
“I swear sire!” the man said. “Everything was fine! I checked everything this morning!”
 
“Then why is Kagome in a hospital bed right now?!” he asked angrily.
 
“I…I don't know sire,” he said, extremely frightened. “I really wish I knew. I adore Lady Kagome sire. I would never do anything to harm her.”
 
Inuyasha growled at the old man, but stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to find Miroku standing behind him.
 
“Stop it, Inuyasha,” Miroku said. “The old man speaks the truth.”
 
“And just how do you know?” Inuyasha queried, letting go of the old man.
 
“Allow me to explain,” Miroku said.
 
“This better be good, Miroku,” Inuyasha said, returning to the head of the table.
 
“You have already informed me of your final decision, therefore, I will inform you of my findings,” Miroku said.
 
“Final decision?” Sango asked. “You mean…”
 
“Yes, but everyone will find out his decision in due time,” Miroku said. “Right now the matter at hand…who poisoned Kagome?”
 
“Who?” Sango asked. “You mean it was done intentionally?”
 
“Precisely,” he replied.
 
Inuyasha's ears perked up as he leaned on the table, eager to hear what Miroku had to say. `Whoever poisoned her…I will kill them!' he thought.
 
“I have recently been doing a lot of research and my findings have proved quite interesting,” he said. “First things first, however. Upon my arrival in Lady Kagome's chambers, I immediately felt an ominous presence. It was unclear to me exactly what that was until the doctor announced the vents were leaking poisonous fumes. To confirm my suspicions, I stayed after and searched the vent that was leaking the fumes and found this.” He held up a round disk about the size of a quarter. “To the untrained eye, it would have appeared as nothing more than a large screw to hold the vent in place. However, to the trained eye, it is black magic. Sango told me earlier that when she came to the Royal Chambers to check on Kagome, she found the door unlocked, meaning someone with a key had already been in the room and forgot to lock it back. Someone placed a curse on Kagome while she was sleeping.” Gasps echoed through the room as everyone began looking around the room. Sakura became uneasy in her seat. “The perpetrator was obviously convinced that he or she would not get caught. However, we have something the perpetrator didn't take into consideration. Inuyasha, are you absolutely sure you recognize every scent in this room?”
 
“Yeah,” he replied. “What of it?” Miroku walked over to Inuyasha and handed him the disk.
 
“Tell me whose scent is on the disk,” Miroku said. Inuyasha looked up at Miroku and then back down at the disk. He looked around the room. Eager eyes anticipated his revelation of whose scent was on the disk.
 
Inuyasha sighed. He hated stooping to such levels, but if it meant finding the person who poisoned Kagome, he would do anything. He lifted the disk up to his nose and sniffed twice. His ears shot straight up. He recognized the scent. He began growling furiously. He then turned to the table. He tossed the disk down the table until it slid to a stop in front of its owner.
 
“Sakura,” Inuyasha said. “I believe this belongs to you.”
 
Gasps spread through the room. Sango smiled, finally happy that Sakura had been caught. Sakura stood up and backed away from the table.
 
“There must be some mistake,” she stammered. “Seriously, Inuyasha, you're my betrothed. I know how much Kagome means to you. I would never do anything to hurt you or her.”
 
“Save yourself the trouble, Sakura,” Miroku said. “The only reason I unveiled your true identity is because Inuyasha has already informed me of his decision.”
 
“Decision?” she asked.
 
“I don't really care if that document is real or not, Sakura,” Inuyasha stated. “When I am ready to get married, I'll get married. I'm not going to let some document decide my fate, and as of this point on, I'm sorry, but I am betrothed to no one.”
 
“WHAAAAT?” she said disbelief. “It doesn't matter! You still have no proof that I am the one who poisoned Kagome.”
 
“Search her,” Miroku ordered. “She will still have the key she used to unlock the door to the Royal Chambers.”
 
Some servants walked over and began searching her. They soon retrieved a key from her pocket. It was without a doubt the key to the Royal Chambers. She struggled for a minute, but soon freed herself from their grasp.
 
“So I have a key…big deal,” she said. “I was with Rei the entire time, right Rei?”
 
Rei stood and bowed to Inuyasha. “I am sorry to inform you sire, but my mistress was no where to be found during the time Kagome was poisoned.”
 
“Why you little…” Sakura said angrily.
 
“And if I am not mistaken, you are the only priestess around here other than Kagome,” Miroku stated. “Only a priestess would know how to properly cast the spell.”
 
Sakura balled her fists at her side and cast an evil glare at Miroku. She looked around at everyone else who gave her disgusted looks.
 
“Oh and one more thing,” Miroku said. “I have been doing a little research lately and I find it very odd that every document can be accounted for except for the document you presented to Inuyasha.”
 
“What?” Sango and Inuyasha said in unison.
 
“Myouga, if you please,” Miroku said. Myouga stood and bowed.
 
“As long as I can remember, my Lord and I kept record of every single document he had ever written. He kept these documents in a special chamber of the library. Miroku and I searched and searched and never came across a document that even mentioned a betrothal of any kind,” he said.
 
“In addition to that,” Miroku said. “We had the document analyzed and compared to documents we found in the chamber with similar characteristics. The writing style and signature of Lord Kizoku was significantly different than that of Sakura's betrothal document. The ink and pen used to write this document was also different from every other document we found.”
 
“Lord Kizoku would always sign his documents with a special quill pen so that no one could ever forge his signature,” Myouga stated.
 
“In fact,” Miroku said. “The only thing we found to be perfectly matched to Lord Kizoku's records was the way the document was sealed.”
 
Everyone turned and looked at Sakura. Her face was flaming with anger. She had been caught. She knew there was no way out of this one. She backed against the wall as Inuyasha took a couple of steps towards her.
 
“Why Sakura?” he asked trying to control his anger. “Why would you do such a thing? I trusted you. Hell, long ago I even cared for you, and you do this?”
 
Sakura sighed. She knew there was no way to back out of this one. Plus, she was pissed.
 
“Okay, I admit it,” she said with a smirk. “I am the one who poisoned Kagome. Will you kill me Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha growled angrily and clenched his fists at his sides. She laughed. She knew Inuyasha could never bring himself to harm her.
 
“The truth is Inuyasha,” she said. “Long ago I cared for you as well, but times have changed as you said. If you want the truth, here it is. I felt as if you had abandoned me long ago…as if you didn't trust me. It was you who betrayed me by leaving and not trusting me to handle things. From then on, I detested demons. That is, until I became more powerful. When I learned you had survived, I trained hard so when that day would come that we would meet again, I would be ready.”
 
“Ready?” Inuyasha asked. “Ready for what?”
 
“For my revenge!” she said. “After you left, I was beaten for not looking after you. I helped search for you, but when I couldn't find you, I was beaten even harder and put in the hospital for days. The only thing that saved my life was me professing my allegiance to Lord Sesshoumaru. Otherwise, they would have let me die. It was I who resurrected the Shichinintai and set them out on you. I soon learned that dog demons mate for life. That is why I forged the document. If I could convince you to marry me, I knew you would be mine forever. I would make you suffer for abandoning me, and I would rule the Western Lands!”
 
“You're one twisted bitch!” Shippo suddenly blurted out. Sango, Miroku, and Myouga looked down at the little kitsune and blinked a few times in disbelief at his sudden outburst.
 
“So that was it, huh? You only wanted revenge and power!” Inuyasha said angrily.
 
“Hahaha!” Sakura laughed. “Of course! Why else would I have done it? To think I would ever love a detestable half-breed such as yourself! Hahahahahaha!”
 
*tap tap*
 
Sakura felt someone tap her on her shoulder. She turned to…
 
*PUNCH*
 
Kagome punched Sakura dead in the face. Sakura went flying and fell flat on her back a few yards away from her.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha said, thankful she was okay.
 
“Kagome!” everyone else said in unison. Kagome was breathing heavily and braced herself on the wall.
 
“Back off bitch!” Kagome said. “And if you ever refer to Inuyasha as such again…*breath/pant*…I'll kill you!”
 
The doctor soon ran in panting for breath.
 
“Forgive me my Lord,” the doctor said to Inuyasha. “She left when I wasn't looking. She must have drug herself the entire way here.” Sakura stood and brushed herself off.
 
“YOU!” she said. “I should have just killed you when I had the chance!!!”
 
Sakura brought her hands in front of her as a pink glowing orb with yellow electricity formed in between her hands and steadily grew larger.
 
“Yeah you should have!” Kagome said, gathering her strength. She suddenly looked as if nothing was wrong with her as she too created a glowing blue orb in front of her with yellow electricity popping away.
 
Inuyasha, Sango, and Miroku stared in disbelief. Were these girls going to duke it out right here in the dining hall? Inuyasha glanced around the room. He had to think of something fast. Kagome was in no condition to fight. She had just recovered from poisoning.
 
The two girls thrust their arms forward and the two orbs flew towards each other. They connected with a crash and sent sparks of electricity flying. Sparks flew as Inuyasha dove to protect Shippo from a streak of electricity. Miroku grab Sango and pushed her behind him. The two priestesses seemed to be evenly matched until…
 
Remembering the encouraging words Inuyasha had told her…how he believed in her…how he would protect her…how he always wanted her by his side…Kagome thrust forward with a loud scream. The blue orb of light soon overpowered Sakura's and headed straight for her. Sakura screamed as what she knew would be her own demise approached her. Kagome screamed again, but this time for a different reason. Sakura fell backwards and closed her eyes…but she felt nothing. She opened her eyes and realized that the orb of light floated over her. Kagome walked forward with her arms still thrust outward controlling the ball of energy. Kagome glared down her.
 
“Get out!” she said in a low tone. “Get out and never show your face here again!”
 
Sakura looked up at Kagome. Kagome was shaking. It was taking a lot out of her to control the orb. Sakura stood up slowly and began walking towards the front door. She walked out the front door and into the lawn. Everyone followed. Sakura walked to the iron gate when she suddenly turned around and in one swift motion sent two balls of energy flying towards Kagome and Inuyasha. Kagome screamed with all of her might and thrust her blue light of energy towards Sakura. Kagome's orb absorbed Sakura's easily and made it that much stronger. Sakura screamed in horror as the orb made impact with her body. She was flung high in the air and into the adjacent forest…never to be seen again.
 
Kagome dropped to her knees, breathing heavily.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha said catching her before she could fall on her face.
 
“Lady Kagome,” the others said gathering around her.
 
“I…I didn't…I didn't want to hurt her…” Kagome stammered, obviously shaken up by the whole ordeal.
 
“It's okay, Kagome,” Miroku said. “You had no choice.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Later that evening, Kagome lay in bed, resting peacefully. Inuyasha didn't leave her this time. He stayed by her side. He sat there staring out the window as he thought of the events that had transpired earlier that evening. `Kagome pushed herself,' Inuyasha thought. `She knew there was something strange about Sakura but I wouldn't listen. Because of my ignorance, she almost died. I can't ever let that happen again.'
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome suddenly said, breaking through his thoughts.
 
“Hey, you're awake,” he said. “Are you feeling any better?”
 
“Yeah,” she nodded as she sat up. “I feel a lot better.”
 
Inuyasha smiled and looked back out the window. The two didn't say anything for a minute, then Inuyasha interrupted the silence.
 
“You've gotten a lot stronger,” Inuyasha said without looking at Kagome.
 
“Huh?” she said, then blushed. “Yeah, I guess I have…but it really only seems to come out when my emotions get high.”
 
Inuyasha listened to her statement then looked at her.
 
“Oh really?” he said curiously. “Why were your emotions high today?”
 
“Uhhhh…” Kagome said as she blushed furiously. “Well, I…was upset…that Sakura had said that to you.”
 
Inuyasha smiled and looked back out the window. Kagome tapped her fingers together nervously as she tried to get her blushing under control.
 
“At least I made my decision before I found out about her,” Inuyasha said. “At least I know I made a wise decision.”
 
“Decision?” Kagome asked. “About what?”
 
“Huh?” Inuyasha said as he turned to look at her. “Oh, that's right. You weren't there. I made my decision about my betrothal with Sakura right before you were poisoned by her.”
 
“And?” Kagome asked nervously.
 
“I decided that I would say the time and the person to whom I would marry,” he said. “I couldn't imagine my parents not wanting me to be happy, and I definitely would never be happy with an arranged marriage. I want to make that decision on my own…when the time is right. I informed Miroku of my decision first and then we gathered in the dining hall. That's when I found out that Sakura was the one who poisoned you and that she had given me a false document.”
 
Kagome was overjoyed to hear him say that. He looked at her. He actually had to admit that he was happy to have that decision behind him. She smiled happily. She knew there was nothing stopping her from being by his side now…except…
 
“Have you thought about what you are going to do about ruling the Western Lands?” Kagome asked. Inuyasha sighed and looked out the window again.
 
“I don't know,” he said. “I'm sure the decision will come to me in due time. I have decided to accept the castle as my own. I will live here and look after my father's people as a normal Lord would…just without the actual title. It will give me some time to decide whether or not this lifestyle suits me, or until I find someone else to rule in my place. It's not something I am too worried about right now though.”
 
“Really?” Kagome asked. “Why not?”
 
“Someone is out there,” Inuyasha said. “I can feel it. It won't be long before we find out who it is. Until that time I will guard my father's people and live here in the castle, even if it takes years.”
 
Kagome nodded. He had a point. She felt it too. There really wasn't any point in making a final decision until they put this obstacle behind them. But he had said that he would look after his father's people…even if it took years. That made Kagome happy. She smiled.
 
“Then we'll stay and look after your father's people too,” Kagome said sweetly as she placed a hand on his forearm.
 
Inuyasha blushed and looked away, pretending her words hadn't touched him. It was great to know he had friends like Kagome, Sango, and Miroku who would stick by him…even in troubled times. But what would happen to them after their battles were over?
 
“Kagome?” he said suddenly, startling Kagome.
 
“Yes?” she said.
 
“There is no telling who or what is out there,” he said. “I want you to promise me something.”
 
“Okay,” she said. Inuyasha stood and walked over to the balcony. He stared out the window and for the first time ever, Kagome could have sworn she sensed some type of fear in him.
 
“There is no guarantee that I will survive this battle,” he began. “I am going to be giving it everything I've got…even if it means sacrificing myself. You should know by now that I will not die until I know you are safe, so…should I die and you survive…I entrust you with everything.”
 
“What?” Kagome said, completely shocked by his statement. “Please don't talk like that! You're going to be fine!!!”
 
“Kagome!” he said like a mother scolding a child that wouldn't listen and whirled around to face her. “It's taking a lot for me to say this! Don't make this more difficult than it already is!”
 
Kagome relaxed and calmed down as Inuyasha turned his back to her once more.
 
“Promise me,” he said. “Promise me that you will look after my father's people should I not survive…that should you choose to not rule the Western Lands yourself…that you will find a suitable ruler. I am entrusting you with everything. I've already informed Myouga and Satoru of my decision.”
 
Kagome was taken aback. She hated hearing him talk like that. He was going to survive! He had to survive! How could he say such a thing? It was just cruel to talk like that. Kaogme felt her heart racing in her chest. She knew Inuyasha would always protect her…but that's what scared her. She didn't want Inuyasha to die because he was protecting her. She would never be able to live with that on her conscience. Inuyasha turned around and looked at her, awaiting her answer.
 
“Okay,” Kagome said with a nod. “I promise.” Inuyasha breathed a sigh of relief.
 
“Good,” he said. “Now get some sleep. We have a long day tomorrow.”
 
“Aren't you going to sleep?” Kagome asked.
 
“I'll keep watch tonight,” he said. “I don't like the chill that's in the air.”
 
Kagome nodded and tucked herself into bed. She knew there was no arguing with him once he made up his mind, but he had really scared her with everything he had just said. She didn't know if she was going to be able to sleep with that on her brain. She tried to keep her eyes closed tight, but she couldn't help but feel extremely frightened for some reason.
 
“What's wrong?” Inuyasha suddenly said, sensing her fear.
 
Kagome rolled over in the bed to face him. He was still standing near the balcony doors.
 
“I'm…just a little scared,” she said. “You really scared me talking like that.”
 
He gave a small smile and shook his head.
 
“You worry too much,” he said. “I don't go down that easily. It's more of a precaution…just in case anything happens.”
 
Kagome nodded and rolled back over into bed. She sighed and continued to try desperately to go to sleep. She couldn't. There was no way.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome said.
 
“Yeah?” he said.
 
“Do you think you could come closer…you know…maybe keep watch a little closer to me?” she asked. Inuyasha blushed, but immediately took on his rough disposition.
 
“What's wrong with you woman?” he asked as he walked over to the bed and sat Indian-style next to her, her back still facing him. “How hard is it to go to sleep?”
 
Kagome rolled over to face him and looked up at him with loving eyes. She then nestled herself against his leg, and closed her eyes. Inuyasha stared down at her as a light blush crept onto his cheeks. He couldn't find it in his heart to rude to her. `This could be my last night with her,' he thought, as he lifted his hand to slowly stroke her head. Kagome was startled by his actions and looked up at him.
 
“Rest easy, tonight, Kagome,” he said gently. “You know I'll never let anything happen to you.”
 
Kagome's heart leapt up into her throat as she blushed heavily. She nestled herself back down and snuggled closer to him. She was truly happy. Inuyasha smiled. `They're going to be after her more than anyone else,' he thought. `I have to be ready. I can't allow anything to happen to her.' Inuyasha continued to stroke her head until she unexpectedly moved in her sleep and murmured his name.
 
“Inu…yasha,” she said softly. “Please…don't…die.”
 
Inuyasha's heart sank. He wanted to be with her too. He wanted them to always be together. `I don't want to die, Kagome,' he thought. `But if it means allowing you to live…I will gladly face that fate.'