InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 62: The Ball of the Western Lands (Part Two) ( Chapter 63 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: For those of you following along musically, the only song you will need in this chapter is “Chances Are” by Bob Seger and Martina McBride. It's a very pretty song and perfect for the situation. If you don't feel like playing the music…no biggy. I just think it gives it more effect when there is background music.
 
Chapter 62
 
Inuyasha glanced around. Kagome would kill him if she saw him like this. It wasn't his fault, but he had no idea what to do about them. Finally, he pushed the girls off of him and walked in between them.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha said, grabbing her by the hand and dragging her over to where the girls were. “I would like for you to meet these young ladies! Ladies this is Lady Kagome!”
 
Inuyasha had said the last part rather quickly and had thrust Kagome towards them. Kagome looked over her shoulder at Inuyasha. He was cowering behind her. She sighed and rolled her eyes.
 
“Very pleased to meet you,” Kagome said extending her hand.
 
“Yes, well…” one of them said. “Do excuse us.”
 
The three of them turned around and walked away.
 
“Nice girls,” Kagome said sarcastically.
 
“Oh thank God! Kagome, you are a lifesaver!” Inuyasha said.
 
“Huh?” Kagome said.
 
“Those girls were nuts!” Inuyasha said. “They were complete whores! They were absolutely nothing like you. They had no decency about them whatsoever.”
 
“Oh so you think I am decent?” Kagome said with a smile. Inuyasha smiled.
 
“Yeah,” he said. “You're alright.”
 
[Play “Chances Are” here]
 
The two of them smiled at each other when a slow song came on. The two of them cleared their throats and looked away nervously. There was an awkward moment of silence. Inuyasha finally balled his hand into a fist and summoned all of his courage.
 
“Kagome?” he said.
 
“Yes?” she replied innocently.
 
“May I have this dance?” he said bowing. Kagome smiled. She could get used to Inuyasha being a gentleman, even though she had to admit his overall new attitude was kind of freaking her out.
 
“Of course,” she said with a smile and curtsied.
 
She took his arm as he led her out onto the dance floor. Sango and Miroku noticed they were coming and slowly started moving away from the dance floor to let them have their space.
 
Inuyasha placed his right hand on her waist and extended his left hand. Kagome placed her right hand in his left hand, and placed her left hand gently on his shoulder. The two of them soon began to dance as the music played softly.
 
“So,” Inuyasha began. “Miroku says you guys are going back tomorrow.”
 
“Yeah,” Kagome said looking away. “I guess it's for the best.”
 
“What do you mean?” he asked.
 
“Well,” she said. “I do miss my family and friends and well…you have your duties here…and…well, I just think I would be in the way.”
 
“Are you kidding?” he said with a laugh.
 
“What?” she said.
 
“Kagome, I wouldn't have been able to do any of this tonight without you,” he said. “Hell, I wouldn't have even been able to make out from behind that curtain without you there by my side.”
 
Kagome's heart leapt into her throat. She swallowed it back down quickly. She didn't want to get too excited.
 
“Well, I am glad I could be of service,” she said somewhat nervously.
 
Unbeknownst to either of them, the entire dance floor had cleared. Everyone had left the dance floor to allow the Lord and his Lady to dance by themselves. They hadn't noticed, however. They had been too wrapped up in each other. They smiled at each other as they danced around the dance floor, having no clue that they were the only ones there.
 
“I'll miss you, Inuyasha,” Kagome said suddenly. Inuyasha looked down at her softly. Her words had caught him by surprise.
 
“I'll miss you, too, Kagome,” he said. “You're the best friend I've ever had. I have to follow in my father's footsteps. I feel in my heart that I am doing the right thing.”
 
“Good,” Kagome said. “That's what's important. You should always follow your heart.”
 
“I never thanked you,” Inuyasha said.
 
“Thanked me?” she asked. “Thanked me for what?”
 
“For saving my life,” Inuyasha said.
 
“Oh, Inuyasha,” Kagome said. “You have saved my life so many times. I would have been dead a long time ago if it hadn't been for you. I just don't know who's going to look after me now that I am going to be heading back East.”
 
“I will,” Inuyasha said.
 
“How?” Kagome asked. “You will have so many responsibilities and duties over here that you won't have time.”
 
“I told you I would always look after you,” Inuyasha said. “I'll find a way.” Kagome smiled and rested her head on his shoulder. She stayed that way until the song ended. They held onto each other like they would never see each other again. Inuyasha rested his cheek atop her head as he placed Kagome's hand on his shoulder and allowed his hands to drift down to her waist.
 
[A/N: If you are following in the music, don't start reading the next paragraph until the song starts to slow down towards the end. Just imagine Inuyasha and Kagome dancing close together, holding onto each as if their lives depended on it.]
 
The two of them gazed into each other's eyes. They longed for one another. They hadn't even left each other's arms and they already missed one another. They slowed their dancing as Inuyasha leaned in to kiss Kagome. They were just before kissing when Inuyasha snapped back to reality and realized that they were the only ones on the dance floor and that everyone was watching them. Inuyasha blushed beet red. Kagome opened her eyes to the same sight. She immediately turned three shades of red.
 
“Awwww,” the crowd said, disappointed they hadn't witnessed a kiss.
 
“Um, maybe we should go for a walk,” Inuyasha whispered.
 
“Good idea,” Kagome said as she allowed Inuyasha to lead her away.
 
The two of them walked casually so as not to cause any alarm to anyone. They soon came to the balcony on the other side of the dance floor. A few people had been following them slowly so they could witness everything about to take place. As Inuyasha and Kagome walked onto the balcony, however, Satoru walked over and allowed the thick red curtain that had been temporarily pulled back to swoop down, covering the balcony scene from anyone's view. Moans of disappointment echoed through the crowd, but Satoru stood in front of the curtain to make sure Inuyasha and Kagome had some privacy.
 
Kagome walked to the edge of the balcony and placed her hands on the banister. Inuyasha followed and stood next to her. Kagome sighed and looked into the sky. She knew this would probably be her last night with Inuyasha. Inuyasha was thinking the same thing. He glanced at Kagome out of the corner of his eye. She glistened in the moonlight. Her hair was shining brightly as it blew softly in the wind. Her skin, bathed in moonlight, radiated, beckoning Inuyasha to her. She looked at him. Her beautiful eyes were full of emotion. Inuyasha didn't think he was going to be able to hold himself back.
 
“Kagome,” he said suddenly.
 
“Yeah?” she replied.
 
“You really do look beautiful tonight,” he said sincerely.
 
Kagome turned towards him, her eyes quivering with emotion. She swallowed hard.
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha,” Kagome said. “That means a lot to me. You know…this was your mother's dress…I hope you don't mind me wearing it.”
 
“It was?” Inuyasha said, eyeing the dress. “I don't remember ever seeing this one.”
 
“Myouga said she never got a chance wear it,” Kagome said. “He said she was saving it for a special occasion.”
 
“That's funny,” Inuyasha said. “Myouga said the exact same thing about my tux. It was my father's.”
 
“Really?” Kagome said. Inuyasha nodded. “Well, you look very handsome in it. It looks as if it was made for you. So you don't mind me wearing it?”
 
“Not at all,” Inuyasha said. “You're the only person I would ever want in anything with the Takashi crest on it. You're the only person that deserves to wear it.”
 
Kagome and Inuyasha blushed and looked away from each other.
 
“Er…um…thank you,” Kagome said, blushing heavily.
 
“You've grown a lot you know,” Inuyasha said.
 
“Huh?” Kagome replied.
 
“You've grown a lot,” Inuyasha repeated. “When I first met you…I thought you were this annoyingly happy little twerp that took delight in sticking her nose in my business.”
 
They both laughed slightly.
 
“But now…” he continued. He paused.
 
“But now what?” Kagome asked, urging him to continue.
 
“But now…you've grown,” he said looking away from her. “You've nearly mastered your priestess powers, and you've matured into quite the Lady.”
 
The way Inuyasha had said “Lady” made Kagome's heart skip a beat. It had had a double meaning and both of them knew it. He was insinuating that she was a great Lady of the land…not just a lady in general. Kagome gulped. She had no idea what to say. What did he mean by that?
 
“Inuyasha, I…” Kagome began, but was cut off when Inuyasha turned to her and took both of her hands in his. Kagome gasped, slightly startled by his actions, but she gazed into his eyes nonetheless.
 
“No, wait, Kagome,” Inuyasha said. “There is something I need to tell you before there are any more interruptions.”
 
“Okay,” Kagome said with a gulp.
 
Inuyasha took a deep breath. He tried to gather all of his courage. He had to tell her…it was his last chance. He stared at her hands for a moment, then looked up at her. She was so beautiful beneath the moonlight. He just couldn't get over it.
 
“Kagome,” he began slowly. “Don't leave me.” He touched her cheek. “I don't want to lose you again.”
 
Kagome's heart began beating rapidly in her chest. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She didn't know how to respond to such a request.
 
“Please,” he continued. “Stay here with me. I couldn't have done any of this without you right here by my side.”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome mused.
 
“Kagome,” Inuyasha said.
 
He placed a hand on her neck and wrapped the other around her waist. Kagome responded with the same gesture. He gazed into her eyes, falling more and more in love with her with each closing centimeter. Kagome stared into his eyes, allowing herself to get lost in those amber depths. She moved in as well, drawing their lips closer and closer, until…
 
“I need you, Kagome,” Inuyasha said, taking her lips into a deep kiss.
 
Kagome gasped when he made contact. Kagome melted into the kiss as a single tear rolled down her cheek. Inuyasha opened his mouth slightly, deepening the kiss, allowing their tongues to touch. He tilted her head back further, deepening the kiss even more. He was treasuring every moment. In fact, he was afraid to stop. He was afraid to hear what she had to say after that. He didn't want to hear her response. He had taken her lips so suddenly. Kagome, however, didn't seem to be minding. She was like putty in his hands. He had complete control over her at that point. Kagome and Inuyasha had literally melted into each other. They had no idea that there were three peeping toms (Sango, Miroku, and Satoru) watching the entire scene. Finally they released themselves from the kiss, breathing heavily as if they had taken each other's souls out of their bodies. They stared at each other for a moment then smiled. Kagome took a step back and looked at him.
 
“I need you, too, Inuyasha,” she said as she looked out over the balcony's edge. “But…I have a life back East. I can't just give up everything…my entire life…because my best friend needs help ruling part of the country.”
 
“I understand,” Inuyasha said, his ears drooping a little. Kagome's heart fell. Not only did Kagome hated it when his ears did that, but she had given Inuyasha an opportunity to tell her he wanted her there for more than just her help in ruling the land…and he hadn't said anything. She sighed heavily. She was so disappointed. He looked at her. He wanted to tell her he was in love with her. He wanted to tell her that he wouldn't last a day without her, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to do it.
 
`What good would it do?' he thought. `It sounds like she has already made up her mind. It would accomplish nothing.'
 
`Maybe you should approach her a different way,' Miroku's words echoed in the back of his mind.
 
“Goodnight, Inuyasha,” Kagome said as she curtsied, treating him as her Lord, and turned to walk away.
 
“Wait!” he said. “Where are you going and what are you doing? You know you don't have to treat me like that.”
 
“No?” Kagome said turning around. “Well, you seemed to be enjoying it out there a minute ago.”
 
“In the ballroom?” he asked. “Kagome, I am just trying to be like my father.”
 
Kagome was growing angry with him. He had been given the perfect opportunity to tell her how he felt about her and he didn't. That had led her to believe that her feelings for him were one-sided. She was disappointed, angry, and sad all at the same time. What upset her even more though, was the way he was acting. She felt like he wanted her stay for his own selfish reasons. He wanted to be like his father. He wanted to rule the Western Lands and he needed her help. She had had enough.
 
“You talk differently, you walk differently, hell, you even smile differently!” she said, raising her voice at him. “That's not you out there! It's an imposter!”
 
“And what would you have me do, huh?!” he asked, growing angry. “My father…”
 
“YOUR FATHER!” Kagome shouted. “Is not with us any more Inuyasha! You are not your father and you never will be! You are Inuyasha, and you need to start acting like him! I understand that you need to have better manners, but you don't need to change your entire personality to fit the profile of Lord of the Western Lands! Have you ever thought people may love you just the way you are?!”
 
“NOBODY loves me the way I am!” he yelled, swiping his arm across his body.
 
“I DO!!!” Kagome screamed at him.
 
They were in each other's faces. Inuyasha held a look of shock on his face. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. Had Kagome just admitted that she loved him? Kagome relaxed and hung her head as she turned around to walk away.
 
“Before the castle…before the journey,” she said, sniffing a little bit. “Before the money and you declaring that you were Lord of the Western Lands…I loved you, Inuyasha…and I loved you just the way you were…a hanyou…living off of the land…without a care in the world. You were rude, crude, violent, and defensive…and I loved you. What makes you think they can't?”
 
“Kagome, I…” Inuyasha began, but she cut him off.
 
“No,” she said. “I don't want to hear any more. I'm going to my room to pack for tomorrow.” She turned towards him one last time. “Goodnight Inuyasha, and if I don't see you before your speech in the morning…good luck. The Inuyasha I know…will do great.”
 
And with that, she left the balcony and exited through the curtain, leaving a dumbfounded hanyou standing alone. When Kagome entered the ballroom, many eyes were on her, including Sango's. Tears filled Kagome's eyes as she left the room as fast as she could trying not to make a scene.
 
“Kagome,” Sango called out after her friend as she raced after her.
 
Miroku sighed as he stood next to Satoru.
 
“Well, that didn't go very well at all now did it?” Miroku said. Satoru shook his head.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha called as he entered through the curtain. He looked around then sniffed for her scent. He started to go after her, but was stopped by Miroku and Satoru.
 
“Hold on there, killer,” Miroku said. “I think it would be best if you left her alone.”
 
“Let go of me, Miroku,” Inuyasha ordered.
 
Miroku let Inuyasha go, but he only took a few steps before he stopped. He hung his head and turned around to face Miroku. He sighed. He knew he had just blown the best opportunity he had been given to tell Kagome how he felt about her.
 
“Kagome's right,” Inuyasha said. “This isn't me.”
 
Miroku and Satoru exchanged glances and smiled. They weren't surprised that the priestess had finally gotten through to him. Miroku placed a hand on his shoulder.
 
“A lot of the guests are leaving,” Miroku said. “Why don't we call it a night?”
 
“That's the best idea you've had in a while,” Inuyasha said.
 
Suddenly the three harlot girls from earlier that night ran up to Inuyasha. They flung themselves at him. Inuyasha caught them, but he was in no mood to deal with them right now.
 
“Oh, my Lord,” the brunette said. “You're alone now aren't you.”
 
“Yeah,” the blond said. “We saw that pathetic little priestess march out of here. She seemed pretty upset.”
 
“Does that mean you're available my lord?” the girl with black hair said batting her eyes at him.
 
Inuyasha looked at Miroku and Satoru then back at the girls. `Kagome,' he thought.
 
“No,” he said pushing them away.
 
“Excuse me, my Lord?” the blond said.
 
“In response to your question…my answer is no,” he said sternly. “Now if you will excuse me.”
 
He began to walk away but they grabbed him and wouldn't let go.
 
“What do you mean?” the black haired girl said.
 
“That little snot deserved what she got,” the brunette said. “We'll give you whatever you want.”
 
“Trust me when I say that there is nothing you have that I want,” Inuyasha said, losing his patience. “Now, if you do not release me I will have all three of you arrested.”
 
“For what?” the blond said putting her hands on her hips.
 
“You three do realize that prostitution is illegal in the Western Lands,” Inuyasha said. They gulped. He smiled. “Oh and just so you know, you disgust me. Clean up your acts, or never step foot in this castle again. Now get off me!”
 
He jerked his arm, wringing himself free of the harlots. Miroku and Satoru smiled as the three girls released Inuyasha, allowing him to walk away. Now that was the Inuyasha they were used to seeing. Miroku and Satoru passed by the three ladies as they followed Inuyasha out of the ballroom.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Once the three men arrived in Inuyasha's room, Inuyasha filled them in on the whole story.
 
“You did what?” Miroku said. “You idiot! Oh, God! Poor Kagome probably thinks you just want her here for your own selfish purposes!”
 
“Are you sure?” Inuyasha asked.
 
*WHAM *
 
The bedroom door swung open to reveal an irate Sango standing in the doorway. She marched towards Inuyasha and towered over him.
 
“Before I beat you into a pulp,” Sango said cracking her knuckles. “You mind explaining to me why Kagome is inconsolable right now? She is crying her eyes out!”
 
“Does that answer your question?” Miroku said to Inuyasha flatly.
 
“She thinks you just want her to stay here because she will be of benefit to the Western Lands. Is that true?” Sango asked.
 
“Well, partly true,” Inuyasha said. “It probably came across that way now that I look back on it, but I didn't mean for it to come out like that at all.”
 
“Well, what happened then?” Miroku asked.
 
“I don't know,” Inuyasha moaned pressing his face into his hands. “I guess I just got caught up in the moment out there. I wanted to be so much like my father. I wanted to make him proud, and in the process I changed who I really was and hurt the only person I've ever truly cared about. I'm such an idiot! I was just so sure that no matter what I said or did she wouldn't have stayed. I just didn't want to risk that type of disappointment. So I asked her to stay any way, but I did it more out of an `I need your help' approach.”
 
“Then why did you kiss her?!” Sango demanded. “Kagome thinks the only reason you kissed her was to entice her to stay even more, so that you could get what you wanted. You took advantage of her feelings for you and kissed her, hoping that would get her to stay!”
 
Miroku and Satoru shot evil glares at Inuyasha, daring him to admit such a thing. Inuyasha bolted up off the bed.
 
“I would never do such a thing!” Inuyasha yelled. “I would never kiss her for reasons like that! I may be an asshole sometimes, but I'm not a piece of shit asshole! And just for the record, I had no idea that she had feelings for me at that point!”
 
“Then why did you kiss her?” she said.
 
“I don't know,” Inuyasha said sitting back down and staring off in a daze as he remembered it again. “I got caught up in the moment. She looked so amazing…and the thought that I may never see her again…I…I just had to kiss her.”
 
Sango, Miroku, and Satoru exchanged glances. They were beginning to see that all of this was just a big misunderstanding. They had to do something, but what? Inuyasha stood.
 
“I should go see her. I at least need to apologize,” Inuyasha said.
 
“You can't,” Sango said.
 
“Why not?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Kagome locked the door and kept the key,” Sango said. “She even took Myouga's key. She doesn't want to see you. She is so embarrassed right now.”
 
“Embarrassed?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“She just confessed her love to you and she never got an `I love you too.' Don't you think you would be a little embarrassed? She thinks you don't have the same feelings for her,” Sango said. “She's just forcing herself to deal with the reality of it all right now.”
 
“But she doesn't need to!” Inuyasha said frantically. Sango took a step back and raised one eyebrow, startled by his outburst.
 
“And just why not?” Sango asked.
 
“Because he doesn't just love her…he's in love with her,” Miroku said.
 
Inuyasha growled at Miroku, but said nothing. Sango smiled excitedly. It was true. He really did love her. He was just having trouble admitting it to himself. Sango walked over to Inuyasha with a huge smile. She then frowned and slapped Inuyasha on the side of the head.
 
*WHACK *
 
“You really are an idiot! Do you know that?!” she said. “Why didn't you tell her that?!”
 
“I told you already!” he said, holding the side of his head. “I had no idea she felt like that about me. But when she finally did admit it to me we were in argument, and she had made me feel like complete shit. I realized a lot of things tonight.” Inuyasha stood. “I need to go for a walk. I need to clear my head.”
 
Inuyasha exited the room solemnly. Sango looked on and shook her head. Miroku and Satoru just exchanged glances and sighed.
 
“What do you think his chances are of making this matter right?” Satoru asked.
 
“I don't know,” Miroku said. “I guess that all depends on Kagome.”
 
“Well, after what I witnessed, he's got a lot of work ahead of him and not a lot of time to do it in,” Sango said.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
A/N: Tada! I hope you liked this chapter. After I reread it I got a little aggravated with Inuyasha so it's cool if you do too…lol! NEXT CHAPTER: REMINISCING