InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 64: The Inauguration (Part I) ( Chapter 66 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Just so you know, I put a lot of red in my stories because the Japanese find the color red as a symbol of good luck. Oh and Inuyasha may seem a little OOC in this chapter, but in my story, Inuyasha has matured a lot. He has grown up to the point to where he kind of acts collected and mature in tough situations…a lot like Sesshoumaru would. Just thought I would explain that little tidbit of information before you started reading.
We never really get to see how mature Inuyasha gets in the real anime!
 
Chapter 64
 
Sango walked solemnly down the hall towards the balcony where the official inauguration was going to take place. She had been shocked to see Inuyasha at the door, but happy at the same time. She hoped those two could work something out. She looked up to find Miroku in a robe she had never seen before. It looked just like his normal black and purple robe, but made of a thicker material, and where there was normally purple, it was red. Sango smiled and Miroku smiled back. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed slightly. Neither of them wanted to leave Inuyasha behind, but they really didn't have a choice. They had their duties back east. There was nothing for them here. Miroku sighed and looked down at Sango.
 
“You look beautiful,” he said.
 
“Thanks,” Sango said somewhat distantly.
 
“How are you holding up?” he asked.
 
“Not so good,” Sango said. “Inuyasha has been like a brother to me. Now, I am forced to walk away from him like nothing ever happened?”
 
“I know, I know,” Miroku said. “I hate it too.”
 
“He came to Kagome's room,” Sango said.
 
“He did?” Miroku asked.
 
“Yeah,” she said with a nod. “I hope everything works out okay.”
 
But before they could say anything else, they spotted Inuyasha escorting Kagome down the hall. Sango sighed.
 
“I guess this is it,” she said.
 
“Yep,” Miroku replied. “I guess so. Let's wish him the best and at least act like we are happy for him, okay?” Sango nodded.
 
Inuyasha and Kagome walked down the hall silently. Neither of them said a word to the other. Inuyasha was nervous, and Kagome hated the fact that everything had to be prolonged. If she had to leave Inuyasha, she really wished she could just get it over with. Kagome looked up and saw Miroku and Sango waiting on them by the balcony entrance.
 
“Good morning, Inuyasha, Lady Kagome,” Miroku said.
 
“Good morning,” they responded.
 
There was an awkward moment of silence. No one said anything. They really had no clue what to say. They had all grown so accustomed to one another's company. It was going to be difficult parting ways. Sango sighed.
 
“Well,” she said. “I guess you better get out there Inuyasha. The crowd is waiting for you.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. Sango walked over and gave Inuyasha a loving hug. He hugged her back. She had grown to be like a sister to him. He had never had a sister, and it would be difficult seeing the closest thing he had to one go away.
 
“Good luck, Inuyasha,” Sango said as she began walking away.
 
Miroku walked over and shook Inuyasha's hand tightly. They looked at each other for a moment, not really knowing what to say, then took each other into a tight hug.
 
“I'll miss you, man,” Miroku said.
 
“Me too,” Inuyasha replied releasing him. “Take care of Sango for me, will you?”
 
Miroku nodded as he too walked away with Sango. They stalled for a moment waiting for Kagome to come join them.
 
“Oh well, um, Inuyasha asked me to stay with him for his speech,” Kagome said a little sheepishly. “I'll be down after it's over.” They nodded and began to walk away.
 
“Oh Sango, Miroku,” Inuyasha called out. “Your seats are this way. I had special seating arranged for you so you wouldn't get lost in the crowd.”
 
One of the servants walked over to Sango and Miroku and bowed. He then turned and lead them away from Inuyasha and Kagome. Sango and Miroku gave Inuyasha confused looks as they passed him. Inuyasha didn't smile, but kept his usual `afraid to show any emotion' look on his face. The servant led the two down the hall, around the corner, and down another hall until they finally came to two double doors. The servant opened the doors and gestured for them to take their seats. Sango and Miroku walked out onto a small balcony overlooking the crowd. Across from them was another building exactly like their side and to their left was a perfect view of the inauguration balcony. Sango leaned over to look down at the rectangular area to see the bustling crowd below. There had to have been thousands of people down there.
 
“Is there anything else I can get for you?” the servant asked.
 
“No, that will be all, thank you,” Miroku said.
 
“Very well,” the servant said. “Lord Inuyasha had these seats reserved especially for you. I feel you will find them quite suitable for viewing the Lord's speech.”
 
“Yes,” Sango said looking at the inauguration balcony to her left. “It's quite the view. Thank you very much.”
 
The servant bowed and exited, shutting the double doors behind him. Sango took her seat next to Miroku. She sighed and looked at him like she had no idea why Inuyasha had reserved these seats for them.
 
“Why do you think Inuyasha had us sit here?” Sango asked.
 
“I don't know,” Miroku said. “Maybe he just wanted us to be within arm's reach of Kagome when we had to leave. It's going to be quite busy down there.”
 
Suddenly, to their surprise, another person emerged onto the balcony directly across from them. They squinted their eyes to see…
 
“Kouga?!” they said in unison.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Inuyasha watched as Sango and Miroku appeared around the corner. He sniffed the air and smirked.
 
“I thought I smelled something nasty,” Inuyasha said as he turned around to greet Kouga.
 
“Kouga,” Kagome said with a smile. “So nice to see you.”
 
Kouga was leaning against the wall with his arms folded.
 
“Feh!” he said. “What did you need me for dog breath?”
 
“I have taken the liberty of arranging your seating for you,” Inuyasha said without any emotion.
 
“Huh?” Kouga said skeptically.
 
A servant soon arrived next to him to take him to his seat as well. The servant bowed and waited for Kouga to follow him. Kouga looked at the servant as if he didn't trust him.
 
“My pack and I will be going back to the mountains…further towards the south this time…as soon as your inauguration is over,” Kouga said gruffly. “For what it's worth…my pack will help your men out when needed. My father would have wanted it that way.”
 
Inuyasha nodded and walked over to Kouga. He extended his hand. Kouga extended his hand and the two of them shared a firm handshake.
 
“I appreciate that,” Inuyasha said sternly. “The same goes for the Western Lands. You can call us when you need our help.”
 
“Yeah, well I still think you're a muttface!” Kouga said as he finally allowed the servant to walk him away, turning his back towards Inuyasha.
 
“And I still think you are a wimpy wolf!” Inuyasha retorted back, turning his back on Kouga as well as he turned to join Kagome and the others.
 
Both men smiled as they walked away. They had hated each other when they first met, but now they seem to have some how form a bond. It wasn't as though they were friends, but as if they were bickering brothers that would bail each other out of tight situations when needed. Their conversations would never lack the insults or even fiery tempers, but deep down, neither of them could say they hated the other. There was a special bond between them now. Perhaps it was because they both carried a canine bloodline, or the fact their fathers had been allies. Nevertheless, they would always be there for each other when the situation presented itself.
 
Inuyasha joined Kagome next to the balcony entrance. He looked over to see Myouga and Satoru standing on either side of the balcony entrance. He looked past them and out the window. The eight wise advisors from the north, south, east, west, southwest, northwest, northeast, and southeast had already taken their positions on the balcony. He looked past them, beyond the balcony's edge, and stared at all of the people below. He took a deep breath and looked down at Kagome. She smiled at him.
 
“You will do fine,” she said, patting his arm. “I'm right here beside you.”
 
He nodded but didn't say anything. `I guess it's now or never,' Inuyasha thought.
 
“Sire,” Myouga said. “It's time, my Lord.” Inuyasha nodded and took a step forward with Kagome still on his arm.
 
“I'll be next to you when the balcony doors open,” Kagome said. “But I will let you walk to the podium by yourself. Myouga told me while you were talking to Kouga that your speech had been prepared for you and that it was out on the podium already. So, you have nothing to worry about.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her. He wanted to say something to her, but it was too late. Myouga and Satoru flung the balcony doors open, and the crowd went wild. Kagome walked him a couple of feet out onto the balcony, then released him and took a step back. Myouga and Satoru joined her and shut the doors behind them. Inuyasha took a deep breath as he stared at the podium and small microphone before him. He glanced from side to side, four advisors stood on either side of him with emotionless faces. He glanced back at Kagome. She gave him an encouraging smile. He turned back towards the crowd and walked to the podium as the crowd began to die down a little, eager to hear what their new Lord had to say. Inuyasha looked down at the speech before him as the advisors took their seats. Kagome, Myouga, and Satoru took their seats behind the advisors, closer to the balcony doors, with Kagome in the center, Myouga and Satoru on either side of her. He read over the first couple of lines. `I would never talk like this,' Inuyasha thought. He looked back at Kagome again. Her words flashed through his mind: I'll stand by Inuyasha…but I refuse to stand by anyone else.
 
[Flashback to the previous night on the balcony]
 
“YOUR FATHER!” Kagome shouted. “Is not with us any more Inuyasha! You are not your father and you never will be! You are Inuyasha, and you need to start acting like him! I understand that you need to have better manners, but you don't need to change your entire personality to fit the profile of Lord of the Western Lands! Have you ever thought people may love you just the way you are?!”
 
[End Flashback]
 
The crowd was silent as they watched Inuyasha stand there for a moment. Inuyasha smiled slightly. He crumpled up his speech into a ball and tossed it back to Kagome. Kagome caught it, a little startled by his sudden actions. She opened up the crumpled pieces of paper. `His speech!' she thought. `What is he about to do?'
 
Myouga and Satoru leaned over to see what Kagome had in her hand. They began to panic when they realized it was Inuyasha's speech.
 
“What is he thinking?” Satoru whispered.
 
“Quickly,” Myouga said. “We must do something.”
 
Kagome extended her arms out in front of them, stopping them dead in their tracks.
 
“My Lady?” they queried.
 
“Wait,” Kagome said. “Let's see what he has to say.”
 
Myouga and Satoru exchanged glances, but soon back down and settled themselves in nervously in their seats. Kagome smiled at them, then looked towards Inuyasha. She had faith in Inuyasha. She had no idea what he was up to, but something told her to let him be.
 
“I've spent the past few years of my life wondering how my father, Lord Kizoku Takashi would have acted,” Inuyasha began. “I concerned myself with being just like my father, copying his every move and mannerism. Today, however…I no longer stand before you as Lord Kizoku's son. Today…I stand before you…as Inuyasha Takashi…current Lord of the Western Lands.”
 
The crowd went wild. They cheered for him, clapping and whistling. Kagome's eyes filled with tears. She was so happy. This was definitely what she had envisioned. Inuyasha needed some brushing up, but he didn't need to change his entire personality. That person at the ball the night before wasn't Inuyasha. This man was Inuyasha…the new and improved Inuyasha.
 
“It took a great deal of courage for me to stand before you today,” Inuyasha continued, causing the crowd to quite down again. “I realize some of you may have your doubts that a hanyou can rule this land with the same leadership and compassion as a full demon or a full human. To be honest, there was a time when I had my doubts too. How could a worthless hanyou ever become a Lord?” Inuyasha turned and looked at Kagome. “A close friend of mine made me realize that I was wrong.” Kagome blushed as a single tear rolled down her cheek. Inuyasha turned back towards the audience.
 
“I am here to tell you that humans and demons possess strengths that are different and separate from one another…yet when combined…form something powerful,” he continued. “That power only becomes dangerous when it is misused, so today…I pledge to devote every ounce of power within me…to protecting…and ruling this great land of Japan.”
 
The crowd went wild. They clapped and cheered, but Kagome was confused. She leaned over to Myouga.
 
“Why did he say all of Japan?” Kagome asked. “I thought he was ruler of only the Western Lands.”
 
“Yes, my Lady,” Myouga replied. “He is ruler of the Western Lands, but the ruler of the Western Lands oversees all of the other lands. Therefore, it's almost as if he is ruler of all Japan.”
 
Kagome gulped. She knew the color had to have drained from her face at that point. She began to feel a little faint. He was ruler of all of the land? How could she have missed out on that important piece of information?
 
“I have always cared for my father's people as if they were my own,” Inuyasha said. “Today I would like to ask you not to accept me as your Lord because you have to…but to accept me as your Lord…because you want to. This shouldn't be a decision that is forced upon you. This is your decision. Should you find me worthy…I will accept my position as Lord of the Western Lands. However…should you not…I will gladly step down.”
 
The crowd looked to one another for a moment. They had never been given the option to choose their Lord. They really didn't know what to do. Myouga began sweating slightly as Kagome began praying. Finally, a man in the audience started a slow clap. Others soon began to join in, the claps growing faster and louder. Inuyasha smiled and turned to Kagome. She laughed and clapped her hands, tears of joy forming in the corners of her eyes. The elders were on their feet smiling and applauding Inuyasha.
 
“We love you, Lord Inuyasha!” someone shouted from the audience followed by immense cheering and celebration.
 
“Very well, then,” Inuyasha said with a smile.
 
Myouga stood up and walked next to Inuyasha, standing slightly behind him. As his servant, he was required to stand next to his Lord in case he needed anything. The eight wise elders from the far corners of the country remained standing. They were all dressed in plain black robes. A few of them had long, gray beards that stretched below their stomachs, including the elder from the west. It was his responsibility to officially inaugurate Inuyasha into his position. He took a few slow steps forward until he stood next to Inuyasha. The two of them faced each other, leaving their sides to the audience.
 
“Please raise your right hand and place your left hand over your heart,” he said. Inuyasha complied. “Do you solemnly swear to rule this land justly, honestly, and fairly?”
 
“I do,” Inuyasha responded.
 
“Do you promise to never at any point misuse or abuse your power as Lord of the Western Lands?” the man asked.
 
“I do,” Inuyasha replied.
 
“Very well,” he said. “Repeat after me: I, Lord Inuyasha, do solemnly swear…”
 
“I, Lord Inuyasha, do solemnly swear…” Inuyasha said.
 
“…to govern this great nation,” the elder continued.
 
“To govern this great nation…” Inuyasha repeated.
 
“…in a fair and just manner,” elder said.
 
“In a fair and just manner…” he repeated.
 
“…taking into consideration the consensus of the people at all times,” the elder said.
 
“Taking into consideration the consensus of the people at all times,” Inuyasha replied.
 
“I will devote myself, my job, and my life…” the elder said.
 
“I will devote myself, my job, and my life…” he repeated.
 
“To the protection and well-being of Japan and its occupants…” the elder said.
 
“To the protection and well-being of Japan and its occupants…” Inuyasha repeated.
 
“With all the love, compassion, and discipline a father would give a son,” the elder said.
 
“Wish all the love, compassion, and discipline a father would give a son,” Inuyasha said.
 
“Lord Inuyasha,” the elder began. “You have stated before me and all of these witnesses the official Inaugural Oath. Should you ever be found guilty of violation of the inaugural oath, you will be removed from your position as Lord and exiled from this country. Do you understand everything I have just stated to you?”
 
“Yes, I do,” Inuyasha replied.
 
“Well, then,” the elder said with a smile. “Do you choose to officially take your position as Lord of the Western Lands?”
 
“I do,” Inuyasha said. The elder smiled and turned towards the crowd. He walked up to the podium. Inuyasha stood next to him.
 
“Then by the power invested in me and all of Japan, I now present to you for the first time ever,” the elder stated. “Inuyasha Takashi, Lord of the Western Lands.”
 
The crowed went wild. They cheered and clapped and whistled and screamed as Satoru and Myouga placed a thick red robe trimmed in gold around Inuyasha's shoulders. Inuyasha smiled slightly, glad that it was finally over. Everything he had gone through was finally over. He looked over to where Miroku and Sango sat. They were to their feet clapping and cheering for him. He looked to the left. Kouga, Ginta, and Hakkaku stood on the balcony cheering for him as well. Everyone below him was to their feet. He finally turned around to look at Kagome. She smiled at him sweetly, then looked away solemnly. They both knew the time had finally come to say their good-byes. Inuyasha, however, walked back to the podium.
 
“I have one more thing to do before you all continue about your day,” Inuyasha said.
 
Everyone looked up at him, including Kagome. Everyone gathered back around, eager to find out what he had to say. Miroku and Sango exchanged glances.
 
“No Lord has ever made it to where he was without the help of his friends and family,” Inuyasha said sternly, afraid to show too much emotion. “I couldn't have traveled the long journey here, and been able to survive all of my battles had it not been for those who stood by me…nor will I be able to rule without a little help. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to appoint the new rulers of the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Lands.”
 
“What's going on?” Kagome asked.
 
“I have no idea,” Myouga said, shrugging his shoulders. “The Lord has the power to do that, and it was on the `to do' list I provided him the other night. However, I had no idea that he had already made his decision.”
 
Kagome turned to look at Inuyasha. She was nervous. She had no idea what Inuyasha was up to yet again.
 
“First, I would like to appoint the Lord and Lady of the Eastern Lands,” Inuyasha said. “I don't know if you've ever met my friends, Miroku Kazaana and Sango Tajiya, but now I would like to present them to you as Lord and Lady of the Eastern Lands.” Inuyasha gestured towards their balcony. Everyone looked up and clapped for them.
 
“What?!” Kagome exclaimed, nearly jumping out her skin. She looked over to Sango and Miroku and began laughing out of excitement. She clapped and cheered, whistling for them.
 
Sango and Miroku, however, were dumbfounded. They exchanged glances and didn't know what to say. They looked back at Inuyasha.
 
“Wh-Whaaaat?” Sango said finally in disbelief.
 
“Me a Lord?” Miroku said.
 
“Me a Lady?” Sango said. “What should we do?”
 
“Are you willing to do something like this?” Miroku asked.
 
“Uh…well…I guess we've been by Inuyasha's side this entire time,” Sango said.
 
“And he does trust us,” Miroku said.
 
“This is a big responsibility,” Sango said.
 
“A HUGE responsibility,” Miroku said.
 
“Can we really do this?” Sango asked.
 
“Together, I think we can,” Miroku said with a smile.
 
“Together?” Sango asked.
 
“Yes,” he said taking her hand. “Together!”
 
Sango's heart skipped a beat. She took a deep breath and finally nodded. Miroku then looked back over at Inuyasha and waved nodding his head, confirming their agreement to rule the Eastern Lands. The crowd cheered and whistled for Sango and Miroku. Kagome laughed and cheered as well. She had had no idea, but she was really excited that they had chosen to rule together. The crowd soon died down to hear who would be announced as the other rulers.
 
“Next,” Inuyasha announced. “I would like to appoint the Lord of the Southern Lands. I have given this some thought…and well…since the south is mostly made up of mountainous terrain…well…Kouga…”
 
Kouga looked up in disbelief.
 
“I may regret this later, but…I give you jurisdiction of all of the Southern Lands,” Inuyasha announced.
 
Kagome gasped. She hadn't seen that one coming. She looked over at Kouga. He was needless to say stunned. He stood up and looked at Inuyasha as if he had lost his mind. Finally, he laughed slightly and nodded his head, agreeing to rule the Southern Lands.
 
“I present to you, Lord Kouga, Lord of the Southern Lands,” Inuyasha announced.
 
The crowd clapped and cheered for him for a while, but as before, died down shortly to see who the final Lord or Lady would be. Inuyasha turned around and nodded to Satoru. Satoru nodded and left the balcony.
 
“I saved this person for last,” Inuyasha said. “Because I've known this person since before I could walk. He has been there for me and knows probably more than I do about how to rule a country. He has been my right hand servant for as long as I can remember, so before I go any further, I have a presentation to make.”
 
Inuyasha turned and looked at Myouga. Tears started to form in the corners of Inuyasha's eyes though Inuyasha tried desperately to hide it and would have never in a million years admitted it to anyone. Myouga had been the closest thing to a father he had had since his father died. He motioned for Myouga to come closer. Myouga obediently came over to Inuyasha.
 
“Myouga,” Inuyasha said placing a hand on his shoulder. “It took me a while, but I finally have something to give you. You've taken care of me and given to me when you didn't have to…so it's my turn to give back to you.”
 
“PAPA!” a little girl suddenly cried out.
 
Myouga leapt to the edge of the balcony and looked down. There he saw a little girl about eight years old come running through crowd followed by her mother. He couldn't quite make them out until they reached the front of the crowd. When he saw them, he thought he would collapse and faint.
 
“MAYU!!! SHOUGA!!!” he shouted as tears began to stream down his face.
 
He turned to run through the doors of the balcony, but Inuyasha stopped him.
 
“It's okay,” Inuyasha said. “I am already having Satoru escort them up here.”
 
“Thank you!” Myouga said, wrapping his arms around Inuyasha into a tight hug. “Thank you so much my Lord!”
 
[Flashback]
 
“Sesshomaru was infuriated and tried to kill my family,” Myouga explained. “Fortunately, Inuyasha's father managed to protect them for the time being. Sesshomaru was forming a legion of evil demons and I knew that it wouldn't be long before he did kill my family. The attack on my family left my house in ruins and my wife and daughter severely wounded. Sesshomaru and the other demons thought that my wife and daughter had been killed, but fortunately Inuyasha's mother, being a very powerful priestess, was able to revive them. Before Sesshomaru and his demons could find out they were alive, I had Inuyasha's father send them far away where they couldn't be harmed. After that I never saw or spoke to them again. I had heard rumors about their death, but I try not to think about it because they are safer where they are if they are still alive.”
 
[End Flashback]
 
Shortly thereafter, Shouga, Myouga's wife, and Mayu, Myouga's daughter burst through the doors. Myouga released Inuyasha and fell to his knees, wrapping his arms around his daughter. He began crying hysterically as he hugged her for the first time since she was an infant. He picked her up and held her in his arms as he stood. The little girl wrapped her arms and legs around her father. Myouga wrapped a free arm around Shouga and gave her kiss, hugging her.
 
“I've miss you so much!” Myouga cried out.
 
“We've missed you too,” Shouga said. She too was crying.
 
Kagome didn't think she had ever seen something so touching. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She wanted to reach out and hug them too, but she didn't want to interfere with the moment.
 
Myouga put down the little girl and she wrapped her arms around her father's leg. Myouga wrapped both of his arms around his wife, taking her into a tight embrace. His wife was crying hysterically too. They all were so happy to be together again.
 
“Myouga,” Inuyasha said, placing a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Yes, sire,” Myouga said, trying to straighten himself up. “Oh please, allow me to introduce you to my daughter, Mayu, and my wife, Shouga.”
 
“It's an honor, Lord Inuyasha,” Shouga said. “Thank you for sending for us.”
 
“You were hard to find,” Inuyasha said with a slight smile.
 
“Yes, well your father hid us quite well,” she said with a laugh, still hugging onto her husband.
 
“Say hello to Lord Inuyasha, Mayu,” Myouga said.
 
“Hello, Mister Lord Inuyasha sir,” she said as she curtsied somewhat unsteadily. “Thank you for giving me my daddy.”
 
Myouga, Shouga, Inuyasha, and Kagome laughed slightly. She was trying so hard.
 
“She was so eager to meet you,” Shouga said with a laugh, running her fingers through the top of her daughter's hair. “She's been practicing her greeting since we left.”
 
Inuyasha squatted down in front of her and held out his hand. She stared at his hand for a moment before reaching out and touching one of his claws.
 
“Hello, Mayu,” Inuyasha said softly. “How would you like to live with your mommy and daddy in a really big house and come see me often? Would you like that?”
 
The little girl nodded her head. Inuyasha smiled. He stood and walked back over to the podium. The crowd had witnessed the emotional reunion and were busily trying to dry their eyes as well. They paid close attention, however, as soon as they saw Inuyasha return to the podium.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen,” Inuyasha said. “I present to you the Lord of the Northern Lands, Myouga…and his family.”
 
“Lord Inuyasha, you don't mean…” Myouga said.
 
“I do,” Inuyasha said. “I just hate that I will be losing you as a servant.”
 
Myouga smiled as more tears began to form at the corner of his eyes. He didn't know what to say. He was dumbfounded. He had been a mere servant his entire life. He never thought he would have an opportunity like this.
 
“Well, Myouga?” Inuyasha said. “What do you say?”
 
Myouga looked at his family. They smiled at him reassuringly. Myouga nodded his head.
 
“Very well, my Lord,” Myouga said. “As you wish.”
 
Inuyasha smiled and wrapped his arms around Myouga in tight hug. The crowd went nuts. They began cheering and shouting out praises to their new Lords and Ladies. Though he kept his tough exterior, Inuyasha was excited. He finally had people he trusted ruling beside him. He shook Myouga's hand tightly. The elders stood and clapped. They each came by, greeting Inuyasha and shaking his hand, before exiting the balcony and heading towards the reception area. Kagome laughed and smiled out of the corner of Inuyasha's eye. He turned to look at her. She came running over to him.
 
“You did it, Inuyasha!” she said leaping into his embrace. “I knew you could do it! And you were yourself the entire time! I am so proud of you! You will make a great ruler!”
 
Inuyasha held onto her tightly. He didn't want to let go. He knew that when he let go, he may have to tell her good-bye. He released her long enough to look down at her.
 
“Thank you, Kagome,” Inuyasha said. “For everything. I couldn't have done any of this without you.” Kagome's eyes trembled as she smiled.
 
“Oh…you know I will always be here for you Inuyasha,” Kagome said, but her smile soon faded when she realized everything…was over. “I guess…I guess I need to go now. You know where to find me if you ever need anything.”
 
“But everyone will be staying around for the reception,” Inuyasha said, disappointed. “Won't you stay a little longer.”
 
“I can't Inuyasha,” Kagome said. “I would love to, but I really do need to head back. I never really found out if Mom, Souta, and Grandpa were okay after the first battle. I'm really worried about them.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. He wrapped her into a tight embrace. He didn't want to let go and neither did she. Unbeknownst to either of them, everyone had really stopped what they were doing to see if the priestess and hanyou would finally get together. Inuyasha released Kagome. He placed his hand under her chin and kissed her on her cheek.
 
“You take care of yourself,” he said. “And you let me know if there's anything I can ever do to help.”
 
“I will,” Kagome said.
 
She kissed him on his cheek and turned to walk away. They let their hands linger for a moment before releasing each other, Inuyasha finally letting Kagome walk away. The entire crowd moaned in disappointment. Inuyasha shot them a glare, telling them to be quiet. Inuyasha watched as Kagome opened the door to walk off the balcony.
 
A/N: Don't hate me! I swear there is another chapter coming up before it's over! Just be patient. I realized there was a lot that I had to say and my chapter ended up being way too freaking long so I broke it down into two! The next one will be up really soon! I promise!