InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Weakness ( Chapter 54 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Coarse language alert and violence. Between Koga, Kagura, and having a human moment, Inu's about had enough…
 
Bouquets to Del Kaiden for her suggestions regarding the dog fight.
 
Heavily referencing the manga.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 54: Weakness
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Now I'm really going to have to kill you, dog-shit.” Koga's voice was low and dangerous. “How dare you force my woman!”
 
“What the fuck are you talking about?” The hanyou's deadly tone promised much pain in the immediate future.
 
“I can't accept that she willingly submitted to the likes of you…”
 
“Get your fucking head out of your ass. Kagome's mine, and by choice…”
 
“I don't believe it.” Koga snapped. “There's no way she'd take you over me.”
 
On the other side of the clearing, Miroku flinched. “I didn't realize that Koga was such an excellent gravedigger,” he murmured. Kagome merely grunted in response, not taking her eyes off the combatants even as she sheathed her sword.
 
“Keh! Shows she has taste. Stupid fucking arrogant wolf…you need to be put out of your misery…”
 
“And you think you can do it, eh? Let's finish this now, and after I've gutted you, I'll show my woman how it's really done….”
 
Inuyasha laughed, a low and chilling sound. “You are so fucked…c'mon, wolf-shit…I'll shut you up for good…”
 
Miroku warily eyed the wolf youkai and the hanyou as they began circling each other. Sango arrived beside them, carrying Shippo and Kirara in her arms; Shippo hopped onto Kagome's shoulder. Kagome reached up to steady him as he scrabbled on her shoulder guard for purchase while she watched the developing confrontation with narrowed, silver-gilt eyes, her sword spiralling with coloured vapour. Glacier-blue and red auras violently clashed; Kagome shook her head. When did I last see this? A couple of weeks ago? The demonic aura surrounding Inuyasha was large, but somehow paler in hue than its usual brilliant scarlet red...kind of like his cheek stripes; they're not as dark, either. His demonic power is fading, but Koga better watch himself
 
Inuyasha roared, and dove for Koga with his claws outstretched…and actually managed to slash the wolf's arm as well as avoid the retaliatory kick. Koga bounced back out of range and licked the wound, his eyes narrowing as he also noted the changes in the inu-youkai's appearance. “What the hell's up with you, puppy? Now your mug's even uglier…and you smell kind of funny, too.”
 
This insolent whelp needs to be taken down a notch
The bastard wants Kagome.
Then he must die.
No argument there.
 
Miroku took a step back as Inuyasha's demonic aura surged again, and the hanyou bared his elongated fangs in a blood-curdling snarl before throwing himself at the wolf prince, and the two combatants became a black-and-silver blur. Kagome's battle-sight clicked on, and she winced at the damage being dealt by claws and feet. The monk gripped her elbow. “Kagome-sama? I fear that you should intervene to bring this to an end. Perhaps you should invoke the `sit' command…”
 
He managed not to back away when she froze him with her glare; Shippo yelped and retreated to Sango's shoulder to escape being zapped. “Sure, Miroku…he's in the middle of a nasty scrap with someone whose guts he loathes…and I'm supposed to drive his face into the ground? He wouldn't speak to me for the next four centuries if I did that…”
 
“I was merely noting the position of the sun. If Inuyasha sustains any severe injuries, there isn't enough time left in the day for him to heal before…”
 
“He won't lose. Even you ought to be able to pick up the increase in his demonic aura.” She turned her attention back to the battle, and realized that the hanyou was biding his time even as he lashed out at the wolf, confining most of his hits to the armoured sections of Koga's body while remaining relatively unscathed. He's provoking Koga…trying to enrage him into blindly attacking…shit…he intends to finish it permanently, unless I do something!
 
“It is indeed impressive…but still weakening.” Miroku was determined to make his point; the whirling battle, which was all but invisible to him, was lasting too long in his opinion.
 
“I'll intervene if Koga starts taking too much damage.”
 
“You seem very confident that it will be the wolf prince…”
 
“Inuyasha took down Ryukotsusei with his youkai's help, and that dragon was a helluva tougher opponent than Koga. If you had seen that battle, you would have a better feel for how much more powerful Inuyasha is now. Koga had better stop provoking him.” As she said this, she suddenly picked up another spike in Inuyasha's aura…and then there was a crackling of tortured wood as Koga was flung into the trunk of a large tree on the other side of the clearing. His body slid down to sprawl untidily on the ground; Inuyasha cracked his knuckles and began to stalk towards him, murderous intent fairly obvious. Koga shook his head to clear it, wiped the trickling blood from his lip, and pushed himself into a crouch. “Oh, shit…” Kagome took a step forward, intending to throw herself in between the two youkai by using her power as a shield.
 
Can I come out and play, Nixie?
Fenik! Could you do the big puppy again?
Rub my ears, sweetheart, and I'll do anything you want
Sic `em, boy! Ignite!
 
The hanyou stopped dead in his tracks when he felt Kagome's power flare, and he turned towards her. The wind of something racing past him blew his hair wildly around his face, and a truly feral growl filled his ears. Slowly, he pivoted back towards the dazed wolf youkai, and found himself facing the very large, silver-furred and molten-eyed canine manifestation of Kagome's sword, its fangs bared in an unmistakeable threat…back off!
 
Our bitch does not wish the wolf's death?
She doesn't want us to kill him in cold blood.
Should we give in to her? It is our right to destroy a fallen foe
Kagome would never forgive us.
Very well. The filthy wolf may live this day; but next time we catch him alone
What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
Exactly.
 
Inuyasha took one step back from the snarling apparition and looked towards Kagome, whose face broke out into a relieved smile when she saw him voluntarily retreat. He held out his hand to her, and she closed the distance between them at a jog, tucking herself close to his side. When the silver ribbons of Kagome's power interlaced themselves with Inuyasha's crimson colour, the dog turned his attention to Koga.
 
Kagome would have laughed, if it had been a less-tense situation. Koga's jaw sagged, and his brilliant blue eyes nearly popped out of his head as he registered that this dog was emanating enough demonic power for several youkai. Blinking, he edged backwards slightly, and was brought up short by the tree trunk. The enormous dog took a step forward, growling low in its throat, and then increasing the volume until the sound was a full-throated roar, with long, deadly-looking fangs only inches from the wolf's face. The girl frowned slightly, wondering at Fenik's extremely threatening display…and then remembered exactly who had supplied the fangs to create him, and their attitude towards Koga.
 
Fenik! Heel!
This wolf threatened my Nixie's mate
It isn't your right to take him down.
He has Jewel shards
Which he is keeping away from Naraku.
C'mon, Nixie…not even one tiny little bite?
Since when do you eat garbage?
 
Fenik's tail, which had been lashing angrily, froze in mid-swish, and she heard his growl turn into what suspiciously sounded like a snicker. In that momentary break in the tension, Koga did the only thing he could do; he held up his hands in a gesture of surrender. “Okay! I get it! Kagome's gone to the dogs…”
 
“ `Bout fucking time you figured that out, wolf-shit.” Inuyasha smirked.
 
Koga took his eyes off the dog for a moment to notice how the pair facing him was wreathed in flickering silver and crimson…and then realized exactly who had released the demonic creature. The dog snarled once more, and then stalked away to stand at Kagome's side, its hackles still up. He watched as the girl reached to pet the creature's ear; as it leaned its massive head into her hand, it twisted up on itself and vanished… into her scabbard. He blinked while rubbing the still-prickling hair on the back of his neck, then grinned.
 
“Damn! You're an amazing bitch, Kagome.”
 
“Keh! Watch your mouth, fucker…”
 
Kagome rolled her silver-rimmed eyes. “Knock it off you two. Play nice.” Isn't that exactly what I said at the wedding? Geez, these two will never learn… When Inuyasha tensed, as if he were going to spring at the wolf anyways, she grabbed a handful of fire-rat. “Both of you will smarten up and drop this crap now. I will not be fought over like a piece of meat… is that clear to all canines present?”
 
“Loud and clear, princess.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Fenik…?
Hey, don't lump me in with these idiots!
 
Miroku cleared his throat as he sidled up beside Kagome. “Did you seek us out for a reason, Koga-sama?”
 
The wolf prince broke off the glaring contest with the hanyou and rolled his shoulders before replying. “I picked up a familiar stench a few days ago, and it brought me here…then I realized it was just him…” He jerked his thumb, smirking at Inuyasha's growl. “Seriously, Naraku's scent is in this vicinity. It's very faint, but definitely here; that's never happened before.”
 
“He must have a new `base of operations', as I believe you called it Kagome-sama. Inuyasha also detected traces of Naraku's scent in this area…is it possible that the protective barrier might be weakening?”
 
“If that's the case, then I'm gonna wipe the bastard out; he owes me for my packmates… Well, look who finally showed up! You lot are too damn slow!” A pair of demons, followed by a pack of lolling-tongued wolves, panted into the clearing; the four-legged animals collapsed where they stood; the two-legged ones doubled over, gasping and wheezing. Sango took one look, and dispatched Shippo with canteens. The kit scampered over and nervously offered them up; Ginta and Hakkaku grinned cheerfully at him, going so far as to ruffle his bangs while they thanked him. They both froze at Inuyasha's threatening growl.
 
Kagome jabbed the hanyou in the ribs and strode over to them, smiling brightly. “Hello, boys! Are you still chasing this guy around?”
 
“Kagome-sama! Always a pleasure…”
 
“You look good, Kagome-sama…”
 
“Drink up…Shippo, could you grab a couple more canteens, and we'll give the rest of the pack some water?” The kit scooted off, and Sango handed him more containers, while she stayed near the horses with Kirara. Kagome knelt in the middle of the wolves and while Shippo perched up on her shoulder and poured, she allowed them to drink out of her cupped hands. A few slurps per animal, with Ginta and Hakkaku assisting, and the pack was refreshed. The alpha female, a massive light brown animal, looked Kagome right in the eye after thoroughly licking her palms, and nuzzled her cheek with a wet nose. The girl smiled. “You're welcome…make sure that Koga remembers to feed you and allow you to rest…he tends to forget that not everyone has Jewel shards.”
 
“Speaking of which, wolf-shit…how `bout you hand those over?” As Inuyasha flexed his claws, Miroku placed himself firmly in between the hanyou and the wolf.
 
“Koga-sama's shards are safe enough with him; our goal is to prevent the completed Jewel from falling into Naraku's hands, and I rather doubt that Koga-sama would willingly give them up.” The monk ignored the hanyou's growl to regard the wolf steadily. Koga snorted, and briefly inclined his head while watching the girl he desired tend to his pack as if it were her own.
 
“The only thing I'll hand to Naraku is his own head…all right, you sorry excuses for demons! On yer feet and try to keep up this time! Farewell, Kagome…and if mutt-face doesn't treat you right, you know who to call!” He vanished before Inuyasha could react; Kagome just shook her head and chuckled before standing up and accepting the emptied canteens from Ginta and Hakkaku, who both bowed to her before wearily starting off after Koga. The rest of the pack flowed around her as they followed; she received more than a few licks on both skin and armour as they passed.
 
Inuyasha leapt to her side as the wolves cleared the vicinity and sniffed her, scowling. “Fucking wolves…can't keep their damn tongues in their dirty mouths…”
 
Kagome poured a handful of water and wiped it over her face, and then rinsed her hands. “Better?”
 
“First hot spring we find, wench, you're going in… gear and all.”
 
“As soon as the sun goes down, won't matter, will it?” she cheeked, before walking over to the horses to replace the containers. Inuyasha followed at her heels, grumbling. “What's the matter now?”
 
“It pisses me off that Koga might get a shot in at Naraku tonight…”
 
“Well, if you want to take the risk of both Koga and Naraku finding out about the night of the new moon, we could follow the wolf…” Sango kept her expression and voice strictly neutral, and was rewarded with a choice expletive as the hanyou put his back to her, jamming his hands into his sleeves. Shippo jumped to his shoulder, and soothingly petted the silver hair; meaningful glances were exchanged around the group when the gesture was accepted by the agitated half-demon.
 
Miroku tilted his head back and observed the sky. “Apropos to that, we should find a place to take cover fairly quickly. Dusk will soon be upon us.” Kagome swung up into Arashi's saddle; Sango followed suit with Juhi, and the group moved off along the path deeper into the forest.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Ugh…how disgusting…I need some fresh air… Kagura vigorously waved her fan, but didn't succeed in dispelling the heavy stink of rotting flesh that hung in the stillness of the castle. She picked her way around the corpses littering the corridor, drawing her kimono skirts in close to avoid brushing against the dissolving flesh.
 
The lively, vibrant court of the Hitomi clan was hideously silent; the human retainers of the beloved young lord whose body Naraku now inhabited had all died from the effects of the miasma-reinforced barrier when the castle was transported from its original location a month previously. I need to get out of here…where the hell is Naraku, anyways? When I want to find him, he's nowhere to be found! The wind witch turned down another corridor, and nearly tripped over Kanna.
 
“Dammit, Kanna! Are you trying to give me heart failure? Well, if I had one to fail, that is…” The ghost-white girl stared up at her with those dark, fathomless eyes, and Kagura felt a chill run down her spine. Instead of answering, Kanna lifted her ever-present mirror; its shimmering surface flickered, then showed the image of a dark-haired demon surrounded by…dogs? No…wolves. Kagura bent closer, squinting carefully, and finally recognized the figure. “Ah, the wolf prince is nearby. What was his name? Ryoga… Kiba…um, Touga? No, that isn't it…hmmm…yes, of course!” She snapped her fingers triumphantly. “Koga! That was the fool's name!” She took a closer look, thinking carefully before looking at Kanna. “Does Naraku know that we have a visitor?”
 
Kanna slowly shook her white head. “I do not know where Naraku is…”
 
Kagura straightened up and stretched her arms over her head, yawning. “Well, there's no need to tell him until after I've dealt with the idiot, is there?” She flicked her fan closed before tucking it up her sleeve and smoothed her hands over her hair. “I shall return, Kanna. No talking to dead people, now….” As she whisked her skirts around her and headed for the exit, she mulled over the sudden appearance of the wolf youkai. Is this purely a coincidence that he happens to be here, or has there been a breach of some sort? Reaching the courtyard, she flung down a feather and as it bore her upwards, a purely malicious smile curved her ruby lips. I have the perfect way to greet you, Koga
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Blast it! I can smell Naraku's stink…no doubt that he's around here somewhere…but where?” Koga kicked a rock in frustration, sending it flying across the grassy meadow along with a large clump of dirt. The wolves milled around Ginta and Hakkaku as they watched their chief take his anger out on the local vegetation.
 
“Could the castle be behind a barrier, Koga?” Ginta ventured, while Hakkaku scratched his head and glanced skyward…then froze. Unable to speak, he reached out and tugged on Ginta's shoulder-fur; when the other demon turned to look at him, he pointed a claw. Ginta followed the line of sight, and yelled. “Up there! Koga…!”
 
A boiling mass of what appeared to be skeletons and armour plummeted towards them from up in the sky; a flash of light arced out of the centre, and the wolves scattered as a wind blade carved a fissure in the ground where they had been standing a moment before. Ginta and Hakkaku yelped and ducked as a kimono-clad woman seemingly appeared out of nowhere in front of Koga, who responded with a hair-raising snarl. A second later, she was flanked and backed by a nightmarish guard; it appeared the contents of a charnel house had arisen and were now arrayed in full battle panoply. The armoured skeletons bobbed slightly in the mild breeze, their empty sockets and slack jaws at odds with how firmly they gripped their weapons.
 
The bewitchingly pretty woman coquettishly tapped a large, over-long fan against her chin, smiling in a manner that made their skin crawl; her red eyes were as hard as ice. “Hello, Koga,” she purred in a voice that oozed false sincerity. “Have you missed me?”
 
Missed you?” The wolf prince was rigid with tension; his voice twisted into a barely-decipherable guttural growl. “I haven't forgotten you for a single moment, you foul…”
 
“Now, now…no need to get crude. Besides, Inuyasha curses so much more creatively than you.” Kagura brushed an imaginary bit of lint from her sleeve and then shot the growling youkai a flirtatious look. “I'm so glad that you decided to come pay me a visit; I was in danger of dying from sheer boredom…oh, isn't there some issue you wanted to take up with me…revenge, I believe?”
 
Damn you, bitch. I'll take your head as a trophy for the wall of my den…” Snarling, Koga sprang for her, claws out for blood.
 
“Honestly, you canines…I'm a witch, not a bitch!” She slightly cracked open her fan; her smile deepened, showing a pair of attractive dimples. “You have to get through my deceased honour guard first, wolf…and they won't be easy to bring down, I promise you.” A quick snap of the fan and her arm was fully extended, her eyes flashing with glee. “ `Dance of Blades'!”
 
Ginta, Hakkaku and the rest of the wolves hit the dirt as the silver wind blades slammed into the ground, sending chunks of rock and dirt whizzing past their ears. Several of the younger pack members tried to burrow under and between their bodies, whimpering; Hakkaku wrapped his arm around one young male's neck in a reassuring gesture. Koga's formidable swearing alerted them that things were not going well; they looked up in time to see Kagura twitch her fan.
 
“ `Dance of the Dead'!” The swaying skeletons, which had so far been immobile, suddenly lurched into the air, and dove onto the charging wolf prince en masse; he punched his way through them, roaring, until he had a clear path to her. Kagura slashed downwards, laughing. “ `Dance of Blades'!” The silver blades screamed in at him; he dodged out of the way and flung himself at her, twisting in mid-air to go in feet first, intending to drive her into the ground and silence her mocking laughter.
 
Instead of connecting with flesh and bone, he punched a sizeable hole in the ground, and heard her snap her fan closed up above him. Her pretty lip was curled in a sneer; the skeletons hovered menacingly, slowly enclosing him. “You move too fast, wolf…can't have that… `Dance of the Dragon'!” He launched himself off the ground, reaching for her, as the skeletons began to whirl around him…and then they crashed in around him, enclosing him in a spiralling vortex of sharp steel blades and jagged bones that slashed at his flesh from all directions. The horrified watchers heard Koga's scream and frantic cursing as he attempted to defend himself from the continuous attack.
 
“Your choice is to die by the blades of the dead, or slither out here and die at my hands, you pathetic fool!” Kagura licked her lips and smiled triumphantly, watching the tornado-like winds do her work for her. You are so easy to trap, wolf
 
“What should we do?” Ginta asked in a low voice, hoping to not draw the wind witch's attention to where they were flattened into the grass. The wolf beside him whimpered and nudged his cheek; he soothed her with a reassuring pat while glancing over at his companion.
 
Fearful eyes met his. “Find Kagome-sama. She'll help us.” Hakkaku whispered. At the mention of the miko's name, the female wolf urgently jabbed Ginta with her nose and then leapt to her feet, calling the rest of the pack as she streaked across the meadow and back into the forest. The two followed at flank speed, the whirling mass of bone towering over them into the night sky.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Kagome…you, um, have company…” Sango's voice just outside the doors of the small wayside shrine they'd found caused the entwined couple within to break apart with small noises of complaint. Inuyasha growled, but the sound lacked its usual chilling effect; Kagome smiled and nuzzled into his skin, laying a kiss on his neck, just below his earlobe, before reluctantly stepping out of the circle of his arms. He yanked her back against his chest.
 
“Who the hell is it? I can't tell…”
 
Kagome squirmed free, tugging gently on his black sidelock. “Won't know until I go out there…sit tight, dog-boy.” She shot him a warning look when he growled again, then re-buckled her cuirass and replaced her weapons before slipping out the door and closing it behind her.
 
To say that she was startled by the personages waiting for her would be an understatement. Miroku was in the act of handing out more water, poured into mess tins and cups, for the panting wolves when the alpha female rose to her feet and crossed to the foot of the stairs. Kagome regarded the animal for a moment, which was looking most beseechingly at her and whining softly, then descended the steps and seated herself at the bottom. The wolf put its great head in her lap; she began petting the animal, scratching behind the ears and around the ruff while assessing the condition of the rest of their unexpected guests. Shippo quietly slipped up onto her shoulder, his tail bushed out to twice its usual diameter. The wolf whined again, and lifted her head to touch her muzzle to his paw. The kit was startled, but cautiously reached out to rub the animal's nose, and she sighed before dropping her head back into Kagome's lap.
 
Ginta and Hakkaku put down the canteens, came around the fire, and bowed very low to her. “Kagome-sama, we request your pack's assistance. Koga has been trapped by Kagura, and we…fear for his life.”
 
“Kagura? Does that mean Naraku's castle is nearby?”
 
“Koga said he could smell it; he was sure we were really close…and then she showed up…” Hakkaku shuddered, and Kagome patted his arm soothingly just as the doors above her burst open and a very human Inuyasha dragged both wolf demons up by their shoulder guards to glare at them eye-to-eye.
 
“If you tell anyone what you've seen tonight, I'll rip your tongues out and feed `em to you…understand?” He shook them vigorously; they nodded their heads rapidly while regarding him with some puzzlement, wondering who this human was, and what they were supposed to keep secret.
 
Kagome shook her head, and met the eyes of the wolf whose head was in her lap. “Males.” The female nodded and matched Kagome's sigh as the girl stood up and headed for the horses to begin saddling them. “Lead on, boys. If Kagura has Koga in her sights, he'll need some help with that hellspawn.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagura smirked. “Well, Koga…are you finely chopped by now, or still alive and too scared to come out of there…?” The whirling tower of bones, armour and steel spun rapidly, accompanied by a chorus of groans, scrapes, crackles and snapping noises as the corpses rubbed against each other and the steel of their weapons.
 
Inside the spinning mass, Koga was becoming desperate as he kicked and punched at the tightly-packed walls of bone and steel. His exposed flesh was a mass of cuts and bruises; he let out a frustrated howl when a sword tip opened up a deep cut across his cheek. Dammit…even when I smash them into pieces, they just rejoin the attack….he risked a quick glance upward while protecting his throat from another sword, and glimpsed a tiny, circular patch of starry darkness. Yes! Crouching, tensing all his muscles, he ignored the walls as they closed in, and then flew upward, straining for that small chance at freedom from death by slow inches.
 
Kagura was just contemplating if she should release the winds binding the skeletal walls, when she was showered in bits and pieces of bone and armour from a spectacular explosion that caused the entire vortex to collapse in a roaring, tumbling mass that deafened her and filled her lungs with dust. She covered her face with her sleeve, and desperately sought the cause of the failure. Is he dead? The whirlwind shouldn't have come apart like that until I allowed it
 
Die!
 
The feral scream from above brought her fan up into position; she flicked it instinctively. “ `Dance of the Dead'!” Koga roared in anger and frustration as the skeletal walls slammed into him again, knocking him off his downward trajectory and throwing him out of range. “ `Dance of Blades'!” The wolf prince was still off balance and cartwheeling through the air when the sharp-edged compressed winds slashed into his flesh…and his precious shards went flying. He landed hard, stunned by the shock of losing his extra strength, and found that he couldn't even stand due to the damage to his legs. Kagura smiled very sweetly indeed as she alighted and scooped up the gleaming shards. “Now that you are merely a wounded animal, shall I put you out of your misery?” She cocked her fan, enjoying the mixture of shock and anger that distorted Koga's face into a snarl, and slowly extended her arm.
 
“Not so fast, Kagura!” She snapped her head up to see the flaming neko-youkai descending on a steep pitch, the monk unwinding his prayer beads while the slayer swung her boomerang out into launch position.
 
“Feh. Looks like you're destined to live a little longer, wolf. Until next time…” Kagura tossed down a feather, and vanished in a gust of wind.
 
Miroku snarled and re-bound the `Vortex'; as they landed, Sango was off Kirara's back and sprinting to the downed wolf. Ginta and Hakkaku reached him at nearly the same time; Kagome thundered into the clearing a half-second after that, an arrow flaming in her fingertips. She took in Koga's wounds in a glance, and immediately dismounted, pulled the medical case out of the saddlebag, and ran to his side while Shippo hopped up onto Arashi's head for a better vantage point. No one noticed the second horse that pulled up short at the edge of the meadow, its dark-haired, red-clad rider's violet eyes narrowing when he saw his mate bandaging the wolf.
 
He dismounted from Juhi and tossed the reins to Shippo. He did acknowledge that Kagome was working methodically and professionally, leaving the fussing to the two wolf demons, but still… “Don't bother making it neat and tidy, Kagome. The fucker's too stubborn to die; he'll be fully healed by dawn.”
 
Koga tore his gaze away from Kagome to glare at the speaker…and then his jaw dropped as he identified the scent of the newcomer…the same scent that tainted the woman beside him, who calmly continued applying a length of gauze to his bicep. He blinked, and took in the familiar fire-rat robes, the scruffy sword, that odd necklace… the sweeping length of black hair and piercing dark eyes. “I-Inuyasha…?”
 
The human smirked. “Lost to Kagura, I see…you must be slipping, to let half-rate spawn like that get the upper hand…”
 
Koga shook himself, but continued to stare, his mind working rapidly. Then, a grudging grin began to work its way across his face, and he slowly nodded. “You've got balls, mutt-face, I'll give you that, showing yourself to me in this form…”
 
“I'll still take you down if you even think of touching Kagome.” Flatly stated, his hand on Tetsusaiga's hilt, Inuyasha stared down at the wolf. He was surprised when Koga looked away, tacitly acknowledging his claim, and couldn't suppress the triumphant grin that flashed across his face.
 
Ignoring the exchange between them, Kagome dabbed at the blood congealing on the wolf prince's cheek. “Are you fit to chase down Kagura and retrieve the shards?”
 
He carefully flexed his legs and grimaced. “Not yet...”
 
“Then you'll have to ride.” She briskly packed away the supplies and stood up. “The shards are moving farther away from here; I can still sense them. If Kagura returned to a barrier-shielded castle in the vicinity, the shards' energy signature would have simply disappeared…and they haven't.”
 
“Naraku's stink is still here, so I think that the castle is very close…what could the witch be up to?” Ginta braced Koga's back as Hakkaku pulled him to his feet.
 
Miroku rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “I wonder…if both of you were able to detect Naraku's scent…is his barrier failing? If it is weakening, and his power ebbing…”
 
“Where are you going with this, houshi?” Sango asked, her eyes as keen as the rest of the listeners.
 
“Remember that Naraku is a hanyou as well; he must have a time of weakness, during which his demonic energy would be either much reduced or completely disappear. Since we cannot find the castle, I would speculate that he experiences a reduction…which means he is vulnerable.”
 
Sango bit her lip. “Do you suppose she is trying to lure us away from this area so that we don't find him while we have a chance of destroying him?”
 
“It is a possibility…but we do need those shards. I propose that we go after her; I trust that you have all memorized this location? We can always return here.” At the murmured assent, they split up into teams. Sango and Kirara took the point position while Miroku took charge of Juhi and indicated that Koga should ride with him; Inuyasha and Kagome retrieved Shippo and Arashi. Just as the hanyou climbed up onto the mare's back, the alpha female approached and rose up onto her hind legs, resting her fore paws on the horse's flank.
 
Kagome looked down at her. “What is it?” The wolf whined something; Shippo squeaked in surprise, and then grinned broadly.
 
“Sure! That'd be great!” He started to spring off, but Kagome caught him by the scruff of his neck and raised her eyebrows. Green eyes dancing, the kit explained. “She asked if I could ride with her…if that's okay with you…” He trailed off hesitantly at the hanyou's grumble, glance flicking between the two adults. Kagome smiled, and lowered him so that he landed easily on the wolf's back, while managing to elbow Inuyasha in the ribs rather hard.
 
“You'll need a bath when we've dumped these wolves…just like your mother, runt…oooof!” The hanyou grunted painfully, noting that it actually hurt when Kagome jabbed him. At least the damn rosary doesn't activate… Following the fiery trail left by the transformed neko-youkai, they urged their mounts to a run, Ginta and Hakkaku pacing easily ahead, the rest of the pack flanking the two horses as they charged into the night.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Not far away, but far enough that there was considerable ground to cover for her pursuers, Kagura wriggled her toes in the cool water of a small lake, watching the resultant ripples break up the reflection of the stars on the glass-calm surface, and sighed. Leaning back on her hands, she contemplated the grassy bank overhung with graceful weeping willows, then tilted her head up to scan the velvety sky. She sighed again, and then sat upright, opening her fist to regard the two Jewel shards glowing in her palm.
 
Well, now what? If I were a dutiful `daughter', I would return to the castle and hand these over to Naraku; but, he seems to have disappeared, so this is my best chance at escape. She chewed her lip and rested her chin on the top of her drawn-up knees. But…the bastard holds my heart in his hands, and could destroy me at any time…what should I do?
 
At that moment, like an answer to her question, the night breeze tugged at her robes, and she realized that there was a large demonic aura close by…a familiar aura, belonging to a very attractive demon… her ruby lips curved in a sly smile. I wonder if he could be tempted
 
On the crest of a nearby hill that gave a distant view of the same lake, Sesshomaru lifted his chin, inhaling deeply through his nose, his eyes half-closed as he searched again for that elusive scent that meant danger. Jaken stayed a respectful distance away; perched on Ah-Un's back, Rin sleepily rubbed her eyes and pouted a bit. She had just closed her eyes, it seemed, when the imp had shaken her awake and brusquely ordered her to mount the tenbaryu. Ah-Un was good for many things, but sleeping on while he walked was not one of them. She longed for the comfort of Sesshomaru-sama's soft pelt, but since it was currently draped over his shoulder, that and sleep both looked out of reach for the moment.
 
The deep rumble of the taiyoukai's voice caught her attention, especially when Jaken's harsh tones answered. “The foul scent of that `Naraku' creature is here, my lord?”
 
“It is not he …but the one birthed from his flesh.”
 
Jaken yelped in surprise when he was swept backwards to land under the muzzles of the tenbaryu; one head briefly peered down at him while the other intently watched something past his lord's shoulder. Rin crept up beside him; she had slipped off the scaly creature's back as soon as Sesshomaru placed himself between his charges and the pleasantly smiling red-eyed woman who arrived in a gust of wind. Ah-Un made an irritated noise and shifted so that his body became another protective bulwark.
 
Sesshomaru assessed the witch carefully, noticing her alert posture and the fact that her fan remained closed. Still, he would take no chances, not with Rin inside the danger zone... Gripping Tokijn's hilt, he prepared to draw the blade, wondering how it would react to cutting what was, in effect, its own flesh. “Kagura.”
 
The woman laughed prettily. “I'm very flattered that you remember my name, Sesshomaru-sama. It is a great honour…”
 
“State your purpose.”
 
Kagura pouted her red lips and peeked at him through her lashes. “Not a conversationalist? Ah, well…you may relax, my lord…I have not come to fight, but rather to propose an arrangement of benefit to us both.”
 
A fine eyebrow arched. “What sort of arrangement?” His eyes narrowed as he dropped his hand to his side; he kept his claws at the ready to dispense his energy whip if she were to attempt treachery. The witch opened her hand, revealing two glowing shards of the Shikon jewel; he regarded them dispassionately and waited for her to speak.
 
“I will give you these shards, if you kill Naraku for me. I gain my freedom, and you gain the power of the Jewel.”
 
If she knew him better, Kagura would have realized the tiny glint in Sesshomaru's eyes meant he was laughing at her, even though his voice remained expressionless. “I have no use for the Jewel; I suggest that you use the power of the shards to free yourself.”
 
Kagura blinked rapidly as she processed the taiyoukai's answer…and then her disappointment stung her onto foolishness. “Y-you arrogant…posturing…fraud! You fear him as well!”
 
“I fear nothing.”
 
Coward!
 
The ice in his eyes dripped into his voice. “Only cowards hire assassins, witch.”
 
Kagura stamped her foot. “Ooh! You! Rrgh!” She ground her teeth, plucked a feather from her coiffure and flung it at her feet. As it bore her upward, she glared over the side at the stoic taiyoukai below and was reckless enough to fire a Parthian shot. “Keep that which you value within reach, if you do not wish to lose it.” She cast a significant look at the small girl-child peering up at her from the safety of the tenbaryu's presence, and allowed a small, malicious smile to creep across her lips as she turned her back.
 
Her feather abruptly rocked wildly in the slipstream, bucking like a frightened horse. With a screech, she threw herself flat on the flexing surface, gripping the sides in white-knuckled hands. Wild-eyed, she peered over the edge to see Sesshomaru impassively replacing his katana at his hip, then turning to stride away down the hill, followed by his cortege. W-was that a warning shot? “Point taken,” she muttered, then composed herself before guiding the feather back towards Naraku's stronghold, wondering what she ought to do now. I have shards, but no takers…dare I make an attempt myself?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“The shards! They're heading back this way!” Kagome shouted, pulling up on the reins to bring Arashi to a halt. Kirara yowled and circled overhead with Sango; the wolves milled around the horses' legs.
 
Koga, riding pillion behind Miroku, threw back his head and sniffed deeply, then grinned over at the girl. “Thanks for the help, and the lift…but this is where we part ways. The witch is mine!” He bailed off Juhi's back and raced forward, disappearing into the shadows of the forest. Ginta and Hakkaku looked back at Kagome and shrugged helplessly; she waved them after their chieftain. Some of the wolves followed, but most clustered around the alpha female, who still carried Shippo on her broad back. Inuyasha bit off a curse and made to follow; Kagome gripped his hands where they clasped around her waist.
 
“No, koibito. It'll be dawn very soon, but we can't risk Kagura seeing you…that's as good as Naraku knowing your secret, and I won't have you risk your life.”
 
He hissed in frustration, but stayed put. Miroku manoeuvred Juhi closer to them, shaking his head. “Koga is a fool to face Kagura without his shards.”
 
“Hell wasps!” Their heads all snapped up at Sango's shout, and indeed, the glistening, brightly coloured insects' distinctive buzzing was easily discernible in the pre-dawn quiet. “I'm going after that idiot Koga! He'll need back-up!” The slayer called down to them, and then she and Kirara soared up over the treetops.
 
“You must definitely stay undercover, Inuyasha. It would be disastrous if Naraku were to find out…”
 
“I know, I know, dammit! Fuck!” While the hanyou swore in impotent rage, Kagome tried to soothe him as she urged all the animals under the trees in the direction that their friends had vanished. Distantly, they heard the whistle of Hiraikotsu being thrown, and then Sango's faint, angry shout. Miroku, his face grim, put his heels to Juhi and charged off through the undergrowth, followed by half the remaining wolves. Shippo caught Kagome's eye from his perch on the back of the large female and waved; she grinned back.
 
“Let's catch up; don't want to miss the show.” Inuyasha grumbled irritably; she patted his thigh where it tucked against hers. “Koga's going to get his ass kicked three times in one day…once by you and twice by Kagura. We don't wanna miss that, do we?”
 
A rather gleeful smile lit up the hanyou's face. “Nope…let's go!”
 
Excuse me, but I believe that I was the one who kicked Koga's ass…owww!
Thanks, Midoriko.
My pleasure.
 
The female wolf gave a short, sharp bark and jerked her head. “She says to follow her…” Shippo called. Inuyasha raised his eyebrows and snorted.
 
“Her nose is better than yours right now…coming!” Kagome urged Arashi forward, and the wolves fell into place around the mare as they picked their way through the bushes, the sounds of battle growing louder and louder in their ears. Finally, they spotted the brilliant flashes of light that marked Kagura's wind blades, and hung back just at the edge of the clearing. Juhi shouldered his way through the undergrowth, whinnying softly, until he could bump noses with his herd-mate. Kagome reached to scratch under his mane as she carefully observed the situation, conscious of Inuyasha's tension as he peered over her shoulder.
 
Miroku, along with Ginta and Hakkaku, was poised for action just to the left; Kirara circled in the air, snarling ferociously as the wolf prince and the wind witch faced off below. Sango readied the Hiraikotsu for another throw, and had it raised to throwing position when Koga's growl echoed across the clearing. “Stand down, slayer! I'm taking Kagura with my own hands! Don't interfere…”
 
“Foolish wolf…you need all the help you can get without your shards…” Kagura snapped open her fan and swung. “ `Dance of Blades'!” The silver crescents streaked at Koga; he barely dodged them, never mind pressing his own attack. Wave after wave cut the ground away beneath his feet, grazed his skin, kept him badly off balance…and nowhere near in a position to extract his revenge.
 
Sango cursed, decided to ignore the wolf and take another shot at the witch herself. Kirara had just barely swung around into position for the most advantageous shot when a rumbling, screaming, tortured sound from behind had Kirara snarling and taking them higher, out of range of both Kagura and what turned out to be a roiling demonic cloud that could only have one source…Naraku!. A large mass broke off from the main body and dove at them; two swipes of Hiraikotsu and they were in the clear.
 
Below, Kagura was momentarily frozen by the sight of Naraku's demons homing in on her… and deeply puzzled. Are these sent to punish me…or assist me…? A second later, Koga's fist connected with her face, and sent her tumbling across the ground. In her shock, she dropped the Shikon shards, and the wolf lunged for them, but not before she recovered. “`Dance of the Dragon'!” Deadly twisters reached for him and severely damaged his already injured arm; Koga slumped to the ground, blood pouring out of a long, jagged gash in his forearm. He looked up in time to see Kagura standing less than twenty feet away, a dark expression in her eyes. “Idiot wolf…you should have run away while you had the chance….” She flicked her fan.
 
Kagome leapt off Arashi, ignited, and flew across the clearing, reaching Koga just as the razor-like twisters erupted from Kagura's fan and came straight for them. She threw up a powerful barrier that deflected the deadly wind-weapons away from them…and then let out a startled cry when she realized that Inuyasha had followed her…and the sun was just about to rise.
 
The hanyou took up a position between the barrier and the witch; Kagome desperately hoped that the swirling clouds of dust the twisters had thrown up would obscure his appearance for another moment or two… She saw Kagura's eyes widen, and knew with a sinking heart that Inuyasha's secret was no longer. A split second after that, his transformation rippled over him, and the Tetsusaiga shimmered into its full size in the pale dawn. “All right, wind-bitch…let's see what new tricks you have up your sleeve…you're fighting me now.”
 
Kagura's eyes narrowed. That was no trick of the light… “You lose your demonic power on the night of the new moon, Inuyasha…”
 
The hanyou grinned rather fangily, and flipped the great blade up over his shoulder. “So? You aren't going to live long enough to use the information.”
 
“Arrogant dog… between you and your brother… `Dance of the Dragon'!” She snapped her fan in a wide arc, and the demonic energy twisted towards him, tearing great trenches in the earth.
 
Inuyasha planted his feet, took a double-handed grip on the hilt, and swung. “`Wind Scar'!” The flames roared away, higher and brighter than ever before…and cut right through Kagura's demonic energy, the twisters collapsing in on themselves and dissipating instantly while the strike itself headed in on the astonished wind witch.
 
By the fifth hell…” Koga muttered, unable to get out much more than that, stunned by the power the hanyou was able to call upon.
 
Kagome looked down at him. “Now do you understand why provoking him isn't really a good idea?”
 
“But it's so much fun…”
 
“Didn't realize you were suicidal…Shit!” Kagome broke off when a huge mass of demonic flesh suddenly dove in front of Kagura and took the brunt of the Tetsusaiga's attack, spattering gobbets of flesh, bone and blood over the entire clearing. The girl dropped the barrier and ran to Inuyasha as he surveyed the carnage, growling angrily.
 
“The witch got away…fuck! And I had her, too…” He sheathed the blade and scowled darkly at the suppurating pile of demonic wreckage. Kagome slid her hand under his arm and gently tugged; he relented and inclined his head so that she could kiss his cheek.
 
“You cut through her twisters like they weren't even there, Inuyasha. With your youkai's help, you've become more powerful than one of Naraku's incarnations…I think that this is a good sign…”
 
“What the fuck do you think you're doing, wolf-shit?”
 
The wolf prince was in the process of digging frantically through the body parts; he gave a satisfied grunt and clenched something in his fist…before his hand went to his legs. Kagome gasped. “The shards…!”
 
Inuyasha sprang at Koga, swearing luridly. “You fucking slimeball…waited until we were distracted to grab `em, huh?”
 
Koga easily evaded the hanyou's claws and straightened. “I need these to gain my revenge on Naraku…once I have that, and only then, I'll hand them over to Kagome. You have my word.” He turned his vivid gaze on the dark-haired girl. “For your sake, Inuyasha's secret is safe with me and my pack.” With a flippant wave, he vanished in a cloud of dust that glowed in the morning light. The alpha female made her way to Kagome; Shippo hopped down from her back and gave the animal a big hug before leaping up onto Kagome's shoulder.
 
The girl crouched to give the wolf a hug as well, ignoring the hanyou's disgusted snort. “Thanks for watching over my kit for me; I really appreciate it. You take care, and don't let Koga starve you.” The wolf licked her cheek and whined briefly, then loped in the direction that Koga had disappeared. Ginta and Hakkaku waved from the edge of the clearing, and then the clearing was quiet.
 
Kirara landed softly, and transformed back to her kitten form as soon as Sango dismounted. The slayer bit her lip, contemplating the pile of demonic flesh. “Do you think…he's trustworthy?”
 
Miroku slid his arm around her shoulders. “Koga-sama, for all his rough edges, is not the one we need to worry about. Kagura saw…and that means Naraku will soon know. We must assume the worst, and plan for it.”
 
Kagome suddenly felt the toll of lack of sleep as well as the stress of the last several hours, and a massive yawn took her by surprise. “I don't know about you guys, but I'm wiped…we need to find a spot where we can catch some shut-eye…”
 
“Keh…after we find some water, wench.”
 
She gifted him with a hairy eyeball. “What are you implying, dog-boy?”
 
“You both reek like wolf, and with my nose back to normal…the stink is nearly making me gag.”
 
“Well, our smell isn't a problem, since you'll be sleeping alone,” she crisply retorted, spun on her heel and marched back to where they had left Arashi on the edge of the clearing. Inuyasha started after her, and was restrained by Miroku's staff thumping against his chest.
 
“You will undoubtedly have dirt for breakfast as well as be in the dog house if you say anything more, my friend.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagura tiptoed along the dank corridor of the stronghold, feeling somewhat deflated. I had a taste of freedom…Sesshomaru refused to help me…lost the shards to Koga, so my chance of striking at Naraku is gone…eh? What…? She noticed a gleam of white moving through the dim light ahead of her, and then heard a familiar childish voice.
 
“Kagura…I wish to show you something…”
 
Shrugging, the wind witch quickened her pace until she was right behind the girl, who silently led her down a flight of stairs beneath the castle, along another subterranean corridor and halted before a trap door set into the planking. Kagura regarded it curiously. “Another level below the dungeons? Whatever for?” She glanced up at Kanna, who regarded her expressionlessly. “No harm in looking, I guess. Probably full of casks of saké… and dead rats…” Carefully hooking her fingers into the ring-shaped handle, she yanked upward…and the hinges moved noiselessly and easily…definitely not what she expected, if this hadn't been opened in some time… something flashed up out of the darkness and wrapped around her throat, choking off her frightened scream.
 
She was yanked headfirst into the opening, and her fall was only broken by the flooring far below. Dazed, she didn't immediately react when the pressure on her neck eased…but she sat up rapidly when a familiar, hated voice purred sibilantly from somewhere above her head.
 
“Did you enjoy yourself, Kagura? Make the most of your freedom?”
 
Naraku… Kagura's eyes adjusted to the dark, and she stared wildly around at the piles of quivering, palpitating flesh, gleaming bone and mismatched appendages. A mound of what appeared to be intestines slithered over and around a giant, flexing bird-like foot; the exposed spinal column of another unidentifiable carcass undulated next to several sets of lungs. The smell of warm, moist, raw flesh nearly made her gag; and then realization struck with the force of Koga's punch. He's a hanyou…just like
 
Several tentacles, some clawed, some spiked, twisted around her, lifted her into the air, and she was face-to-disembodied-face with her hated progenitor, who smirked darkly before leaning in and delicately nuzzling her cheek. “My lovely Kagura….how I have missed you, daughter of my flesh…shall I welcome you inside me once more?”
 
Her eyes grew very wide. If he reabsorbs me…I won't ever be able to escape!… “Please… no, Naraku…I swear I won't act without orders again!.”
 
The dark hanyou's eyes became heavy-lidded and he brushed a light kiss across her damp brow in a parody of a loving father's touch. “See that you do not, Kagura…there will be no second chances.” The tentacles released her, and she fell heavily to the floor. “Leave me…my regeneration will be completed by tomorrow, and we must find a new location for the castle, since the wolf prince has detected its whereabouts.”
 
Kagura bowed, and turned to scramble up the ladder, not daring to use her feathers in this horrid place. Only Inuyasha can defeat him…I will keep the secret of the new moon….
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж