InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Cornered ( Chapter 65 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: *hopskiphop* I've been walking around with the biggest, goofiest grin plastered all over my chops for the last few days, because the fabulous Forthright floored me with the most incredible Xmas gift! She commissioned the talented artist KrisCynical to create a portrait of Fenik in all his bob-cat-eared bishie glory. Copy and paste this link into your browser (take out all the spaces and replace the bracketed words with the appropriate punctuation) to check out the sword-inu on Kris' Deviant Art profile.
 
http(colon)(double slash)www (dot) deviantart(dot)com (slash)deviation (slash)44394234 (slash)
 
We take no responsibility for any keyboards ruined by drool… *gleam*
 
Coarse language alert and lemon fluff warning.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 65: Cornered
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
Two days before the New Moon
 
“Mom! Mom! I'm home! Are there any orders for me?” Kioko Higurashi looked up from her newspaper and cup of tea to see her somewhat wild-eyed daughter hopping on one foot as she tried to remove her combat boots without fully opening all the buckles.
 
“Good morning, Kagome! Where is Inuyasha?”
 
“Right here, Okaa-san… Oi! Wouldja sit down, wench? You're going to twist your ankle trying to do it that way!” The hanyou bent down, grumbling, and flicked open the buckles with his claws while Kagome balanced herself with a hand on his back.
 
“Thanks, koibito… has the Academy phoned, Mom?”
 
“I'll let Lord Sessaki's office know that you've arrived. A car and driver will pick you up tomorrow afternoon, just like last year. Have you had breakfast?”
 
“Not yet; we only arrived back in the village this morning. Am I required at the Academy today for rehearsals?” Kagome asked anxiously.
 
“We are expected to practise sitting, walking and drinking in that kimono today at home; Nekajo-san seemed to feel that you were adequately trained last year. You can't rehearse the battle with the `Spirits of Darkness' until the morning of the New Moon Festival because your opponents aren't available until then. How about some eggs?” She beamed at the hanyou, who perked right up at the idea of something other than rice porridge for breakfast.
 
“Yes, please, Okaa-san. Wench, why don't you have a shower? I need to talk to your mother.”
 
Kagome blinked at the innocent-looking hanyou, then narrowed her eyes. “If you two are going to plot how to sneak a certain guest into my room on the night of the Festival, I think I ought to be part of that discussion.”
 
“Keh. Who says I'm coming to the Palace at all? I might have other plans that night.” He grinned rather broadly at her startled expression, but refused to say anything else, so after looking helplessly at her mother, Kagome turned and headed upstairs.
 
What's he up to?
Maybe he has a hot date planned with your motorcycle.
Ha! I'll bet that's it!
That was quite a ride you gave him last month
Hentai.
I was referring to the tour of Tokyo, Nixie. What did you think I was talking about?
You really don't do `innocent' very well, you know.
The curse of my too-handsome face…
How do you plan on handling Yashita, Kagome?
Uh… what do you mean, Midoriko?
He has not seen you for two months; his need for you will be great.
I want to spend as much time as possible with him for the next three days…
Can you control yourself?
Me? Um…
Be careful, Kagome. You cannot rely on him to protect both of you when he has been denied your touch for so long; I would imagine that for him, these last weeks have been very similar to when the well closed.
Ulp. Thanks for the heads-up, Midoriko.
C'mon, Riko… the poor bastard deserves a break!
Not the kind that will complicate things beyond all reason.
 
She luxuriated in the hot water of the shower, but denied herself a soak in the tub, reasoning that she could have one later that night… maybe with some affectionate silver-haired company. So long as Mom and Ojii-san don't mind… Dressing in shorts and a tank top, she bounded back down the stairs, to a kitchen pleasantly redolent of food. Inuyasha's eyes slid over her appreciatively, and she felt the tell-tale hardening of her nipples that gave away her braless condition; his fanged leer revealed that he'd noticed.
 
“S'matter, wench? It ain't cold in here,” he drawled, smirking.
 
“Cooler than the shower, dog-boy,” she retorted, and moved to assist her mother with serving the eggs, grilled fish and rice with glasses of cooled green tea. The morning was already rather hot, and Kagome was glad of the refreshing beverage. Inuyasha certainly thought so, too, since he downed three glasses of it after removing his haori.
 
“If you girls are going to be busy playing dress-up, I think I'll go back through the well and check out the situation in the village. Shippo was a little upset that we came right through the well, so I'll take him hunting, and see how Shiori is doing.” He stretched and grinned at the two women who meant more to him than anything else in his life. Tipping a wink at Mrs. Higurashi, he added, “Don't forget what we talked about, all right?”
 
“I most certainly won't, Inuyasha. Leave it to me. Are you coming back for dinner?”
 
“Keh! I've been looking forward to one of your dinners ever since we left; rations are okay, but they're nothing to your beef sukiyaki.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi laughed gaily. “Is that a broad hint, Inuyasha? Very well; Kagome and I will go to the market. Don't be too late; Sota has decided that since he starts at the Academy in a couple of weeks, he has to bulk up. His appetite is nearly as impressive as yours!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“I forgot how much of a pain this kimono is to manoeuvre in!” Kagome groaned, flopping onto a cushion in the living room, giving the impression of being afloat in a shimmering crimson pond as the silk flared out around her. “Not to mention how damn hot…”
 
“Refreshment break, and then we'll go out and pick up some things for dinner. You're doing very well, dear; you haven't spilled anything or tripped over it yet!” Mrs. Higurashi set down a footed tray holding tall frosted glasses and a plate piled with sliced fresh fruit. Kagome sat up and shrugged out of the kimono, then scooted over to the tray.
 
“What were you and Inuyasha talking about?”
 
“Never you mind, Kagome. Don't worry; you'll enjoy it.”
 
Kagome eyed her mother's too-innocent expression, then sighed before changing the subject. “You mentioned `opponents' earlier… do you know for sure if I'm sparring with two `Spirits'?”
 
“Nekajo-san referred to them in the plural, so I assume that means you won't be up against Yashita this year.”
 
“Too bad. I enjoyed doing the flashy-sword thing with him last year.” She munched a handful of grapes, a thoughtful expression softening her face. “I'm really looking forward to seeing him, since he was out of town last month.”
 
“Gitoumaru tells me that his mission to Okinawa was very stressful; it somehow involved an incident involving the American military base, but that's all he would tell me.”
 
“I thought Gitoumaru worked for the Palace, not the Academy?” Kagome questioned.
 
Mrs. Higurashi smiled winsomely. “He is in charge of scheduling public appearances by the Imperial Family as well as Imperial festivals; however, he also inherited his father's position as Lord Sessaki's Sentouken, so he spends a great deal of time in your brother-in-law's company.”
 
Kagome started slightly. “That sounds so weird, hearing you refer to Sessaki as that.”
 
“Rin told me the other day that worrying about you is making her husband a very restless sleeper. If he sleeps as lightly as Gitoumaru, I can't imagine how she would notice a difference…”
 
“The fact that Lord Sessaki even sleeps is amazing!” Kagome interjected hastily, not really wanting to hear any more about her future step-father's bed-time habits. “Shall we go pick up supplies to feed the hordes?”
 
“Cover your chest, my dear, and we'll go.” She chuckled as Kagome made a face, then scooped up the kimono before heading upstairs to find a suitable top. “Sota and Akagane will be joining us as well, so we'll walk home with them. Might as well make the boy who will eat the most of it carry the bags!”
 
“No way he eats that much!”
 
“When was the last time you stood next to him? I suspect he's taller than you now.”
 
Kagome paused on the bottom stair. “I've missed so much around here since all this started…”
 
“You'll have plenty of time to catch up. Shoo! We'd better go, or we'll miss the kids! I'll tell Ojii-san that he's holding down the shrine shop by himself for a little while, and to warn Inuyasha that we're having a guest, in case he comes back before we do. You'd better set aside some time to clean up your gear; Lord Sessaki is expecting a high polish on that sword!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“That was great, Okaa-san!” The hanyou grinned broadly at Kioko before sitting back on his cushion and leaning against the fence surrounding the Goshinboku. They were having a picnic dinner in the shade of the venerable tree; a light breeze ghosted over the ground, easing the baking heat of the courtyard.
 
“It really is too hot to eat inside today, and it's lovely to sit out here under the tree, isn't it?” She directed a beaming smile at Inuyasha before frowning at her two children, who were chopstick-duelling over the last piece of melon. “Don't be silly, you two. There's plenty more in the house!” Kagome won the tussle with her brother, smirking triumphantly… only to lose the succulent chunk to a nimble-clawed hanyou.
 
“Hey!” She jabbed him in the chest, but he merely caught her wrist, smiling indulgently, his golden eyes heavy-lidded. Kagome wrinkled her nose at him, trying not to admire how the tank top showed off his lean body. Her mother had produced a pair of shorts for the hanyou once they returned home; he'd been more than a little reluctant, but had finally given in, especially when Sota had appeared in a pair of florid `board shorts' that made the sedate dark blue ones he was holding look restrained by comparison. His silver hair was pulled back by an ear-concealing bandanna, and he'd allowed Kagome to tie the mass into a thick ponytail. Wriggling her hand free, she began piling up the dishes onto the trays, while returning to watching Akagane out of the corner of her eye.
 
The kitsune was discreetly ogling Inuyasha, and Kagome wasn't sure if she liked it. The concealment-spell-protected female youkai sat very close to Sota, but her eyes kept drifting back to the hanyou, and she appeared extremely appreciative of the view. Akagane hopped up to help carry the trays back to the house, but Kagome wondered if that was to show off her long legs, on full display in a short pleated skirt that was considerably briefer than the one belonging to her middle-school uniform.
 
Nixie…
Huh? What?
Stop that train of thought in its tracks.
Sorry… I'm just not used to other women admiring Inuyasha like that.
He had a few centuries of women flinging themselves at his feet, and didn't give any of them the time of day.
Right… I forgot.
Do us all a favour… and don't. You have enough serious shit to worry about without adding any other baseless concerns to your plate.
Yessir.
 
Thanks to Fenik, Kagome was able to smile genuinely at Akagane a few moments later in the kitchen, when the vixen beamed at her and exclaimed, “Inuyasha is totally hot in that outfit; do you think he could maybe hint to Sota that those floral shorts he's wearing just aren't sexy?”
 
“You're his girlfriend… you tell him. Might as well get in practise at wardrobe advice, if you're seriously thinking of marrying Sota one day.”
 
Eep! Who told you that?”
 
Kagome grinned. “A golden-eyed bird…”
 
“Grrrr! I'm so going to kill Ojii-chan when I see him,” Akagane grumbled as she accepted a box of frozen treats from Mrs. Higurashi.
 
“Ojii-chan? You really call Yashita that?” Kagome almost choked with laughter, and then remembered that Shimano had referred to her as `Obaa-san' with regards to his own children.
 
Akagane grinned cheekily. “Yup. It does seem weird, though… I'm over a century older than you, but you're my granny. I'm still gonna kill Ojii-chan, though.”
 
Kagome followed her into the foyer and murmured quietly, “Not until I've seen him, please; it's been a while.”
 
Akagane shot her a quick glance. “It's been a crappy eight weeks for him, from what my dad has said when he's called home. You might wish he still had the rosary…”
 
Shhhh.” Kagome hushed the vixen before Inuyasha could hear anything incriminating, and the girls handed out the icy desserts.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“After sweating all day, why the hell do you want to sit in a hot bath, wench?” Inuyasha leaned his elbows on the edge of the tub, openly admiring Kagome's nude form as she lay back in the steaming water.
 
“I've been looking forward to a bath all day, for your information. The last full-body dunk I had was in a freezing cold river, if you'll recall.” She cracked an eye to peek at the dripping-wet hanyou who had settled down beside the bathtub after having a shower, but he showed no inclination to join her. Pouting a bit, she closed her eyes again and began poking around in her mental closets, looking for the relevant bits of information about the ceremonial procedures she'd need to follow for the next few days.
 
“Okaa-san says you won't be picked up until tomorrow afternoon, so why don't you come through the well and see Shippo in the morning? Shiori was asking after you, too; we could take them some of those frozen-juice things we had after dinner tonight.”
 
“That's a great idea, but I have to be back early enough for Mom to help me with all the fancy bits. I hate having my hair ironed…”
 
“If it keeps the Emperor happy, then you gotta suffer for beauty, wench.” She sniffed at his amused tone, and rolled onto her side away from him.
She listened to the water lapping against the sides of the tub for a few moments before asking quietly, “What are your plans for tomorrow night?”
 
“Keh. Last year I watched you sleep…”
 
“And you left behind the evidence of your nocturnal voyeurism.”
 
“…so maybe this year you can stay awake for a while? I've never done it in a palace…”
 
Kagome giggled and rolled back to face him. “Only if you can `restrain your enthusiasm'. If you howl like you usually do, you'll bring security charging in to rescue me!” She stopped at the expression in his golden eyes as he reached into the water to take hold of her right hand and gently pull her across the tub. He slid his claws under the thin coiled bracelets until he could rub the pads of his fingers and thumb over the narrow braids.
 
“Who'd think a single strand would be strong enough to bind our destinies?” Kagome's breath hitched at the intensity of his look, and melted willingly when he threaded his claws into the hair at the nape of her neck, tilting her face up for a long, soft, deep kiss. “Are you finished stewing yourself?” he rumbled against her lips, and she nodded, not really wanting to break the sweet contact. He slowly stood up, lifting her with him, her wet body pressed snugly against his.
 
He had just wrapped both of them in a single towel when the door burst open and Sota flew in… and then just as rapidly put on the brakes and tried to dash back out. “Geez, you two… get a room!” The teen hit a wet patch and desperately windmilled his arms as he skidded precariously to a stop.
 
“Was planning on it, brat,” Inuyasha smirked back, as Kagome hid her scarlet cheeks in his chest. “I'll bet you wish you could get that cute little wench of yours wearing only a towel…”
 
“Who's to say I haven't?” Sota leered, having finally recovered his balance by grabbing onto the doorframe.
 
“It only counts if she's naked underneath, runt… and I'd know if you'd been naughty.” Inuyasha waggled his eyebrows suggestively, while Kagome ducked down even further, really, really wishing that she wasn't overhearing this conversation.
 
Sota's grin became positively toothy. “Oh, yeah? At least I wouldn't let the whole neighbourhood know the minute I got lucky… my classmates down the block are still talking about the ear-splitting howl that woke them up months ago…” With a broad smirk, he escaped down the hall, leaving the door wide open.
 
Inuyasha growled, stepped back and draped the towel over Kagome's shoulders, then wrapped another one around his own waist. “Little twerp… wait until I get my hands on him…”
 
“If you'd just learn to lock the freakin' door…”
 
“Now this is my fault? Keh!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Kagome-san! Good morning!” A small silver-haired bullet streaked towards the couple as they arrived at the bottom of the stairs next to Kaede's hut. Chuckling, Kagome held out her arms and Shiori jumped into her embrace, hugging her tightly around the neck. “Good morning, Shiori-chan… how are you?”
 
“Wonderful, Kagome-san! Inuyasha-san! Can we go flying again today?” The little hanyou flung herself at the elder; he caught her mid-flight, then tossed her up in the air, catching her as she squealed happily. Kagome watched, her heart cracking gently at the vitality and boundless affection of the doomed little girl. I wish I'd never asked… it kills me to see her so happy and alive and to know…
 
“We brought treats for you and Shippo, but you have to eat `em quick, so they don't melt all over your clothes. Go find the runt and bring him back to Kaede's hut, okay?” Inuyasha set Shiori on her feet; she hugged him tightly around the leg before tearing off through the huts.
 
Kagome watched her go, and managed to smile fairly brightly. “She has a pretty good turn of speed for a little kid!”
 
`Wait until you see her fly; she can glide nearly all the way across the well meadow in one swoop.” Inuyasha laced his fingers with hers as they strolled over to Kaede's hut, where Miroku and Sango were seated outside on the shady side with the old miko. The sun was already very hot, and it was just past ten o'clock in the morning.
 
“Good morning, Kaede-sama… Miroku… Sango.” All three heads turned and nodded genially, while Kirara gave a small mew from her nest in Sango's lap. It's so nice to see everyone look so relaxed…I wish I felt the same way. Kagome cocked her head on the side, scrutinizing the yukata-wearing monk, who just beamed gently back at her. Miroku looks so different with his hair down; even less `holy', if that's possible!
 
“Good morrow, friends… Kagome-sama, have you been to see Arashi yet? It is quite delightful to see how Kumo is so protective of her. He reminds me of another animal we know very well where his mate is concerned.”
 
“I'll bet Okibi was happy to see you, too…”
 
“Miroku had to leave his robes with the laundress, because Okibi's enthusiastic welcome involved the manure heap… and tenbaryu dung is rather odoriferous!” Sango's grin was a little too cheery while Miroku adopted a lofty expression.
 
“Such is the curse of being highly attractive to a variety of females…”
 
“Keh! I think I'd stick with the two-legged ones, houshi; they're easier on the clothing. Here… try one of these.” Inuyasha handed out the frozen treats, and Kagome had to grin as she showed a puzzled Kaede how to peel off the wrapper. Her smile became even wider at the expression on the old miko's face when she tasted the icy fruit juice.
 
“This is truly delightful, Kagome-sama. What wonders thy time holds!”
 
Shippo and Shiori came racing up, the giggling bat hanyou hanging on around the neck of a smallish pony with a red mane and rather bushy tail. Kagome's heart twinged again, and then she was nearly knocked ass-over-teakettle by a kitsune-shaped Shippo cannonading into her non-armoured chest. Inuyasha's hand barely stopped her head from hitting the ground; as she gasped from the impact, Shippo dangled above her, his brush gripped by a very angry inu-youkai.
 
“Dammit, runt! How many times…” Inuyasha bared his fangs and shook the kit until his teeth rattled.
 
“I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! I lost my footing!” Shippo's wide green eyes were even wider, but they were nothing compared to Shiori's expression as she watched Inuyasha reprimand the kit. Inuyasha caught the little girl's eye and instantly set Shippo on his feet instead of batting him halfway across the village. The kit swayed for a minute, then bowed to the still-growling hanyou. After a moment, Inuyasha stiffly nodded and barked sharply at him. As Kagome slowly sat up, Shippo bowed to her, remaining submissive until she allowed him to butt his head against her hand. “I'm sorry, honoured mother,” he whispered, and Kagome squeezed his shoulder in reply, as she was finding breathing rather difficult.
 
“Here, runt… you and Shiori sit down over by Sango and eat these quick. They'll cool you down after all that running.” The kit was surprised to receive both the treat and a pat from Inuyasha; he lost no time in scampering over to sit with the slayer. Shiori hesitated a moment when the hanyou held out one to her; she bit her lip and looked at him from under her bangs. His lip twitched, and he softly explained, “Shippo used to forget that he's a youkai, and that he could really hurt Kagome because she's human. I thought he'd forgotten again.”
 
Shiori still hesitated, twisting the hem of her kosode in her small hands. “I don't have a tail, Inuyasha-san… how would you discipline me?” she finally asked in a whisper. Kagome could barely hear her, but she knew Inuyasha had from the way his eyes widened and his ears first snapped straight up and then flattened into his hair.
 
“Uh… disciplining you isn't my right, Shiori… I'm not your sire…”
 
“You aren't Shippo's, either.” You could have heard a flea-youkai sneeze in the silence.
 
Inuyasha cocked his head on the side, an intent look on his face. “I'm the alpha of my pack, Shiori, and Shippo has to listen to me.” The kitsune wisely kept his mouth shut at that; the fact that Sango's hand descended firmly onto the top of his head at that moment also helped him restrain the snort that was dying to squeeze out.
 
Apparently Inuyasha's pronouncement wasn't the right answer, because Shiori's eyes filled with tears. Puzzled, the hanyou reacted with lightning speed and pulled the little girl into his arms. “Don't cry…” He looked helplessly at Kagome, who raised her eyebrows and shrugged. Rubbing Shiori's back soothingly, he began to softly purr while resting his cheek against her head.
 
“I-I w-want to be y-your k-kit, too, I-Inuyasha-san…” Shiori finally stuttered out, causing dropped jaws all round.
 
Shippo nearly choked on his treat when he shoved the whole thing into his mouth to leap onto a stunned Inuyasha's shoulder. Reaching down, he petted the distraught little girl's hair. “You can't be a kit because you're not a fox,” he said matter-of-factly. “You'd have to be his pup, but I dunno if you really want to be part of an odd pack like this; we're not exactly normal.”
 
Teary eyes peeked out at him from the security of Inuyasha's arm and then turned upwards, intensely pleading… for something he couldn't give. Inuyasha didn't really know how to respond to the appeal in that vivid gaze, but Shippo stepped into the breach. “Now, come on and eat your treat, or I'll eat it for you. It's really good!” He hopped down, picked up the wrapped frozen juice and offered it to her, his green eyes bright.
 
Inuyasha used the hem of his sleeve to wipe Shiori's cheeks, but he kept her in his lap while she experienced the wonders of the brain freeze. Kagome watched quietly, not intruding on the moment while her heart ached more than her bruised flesh.
 
Once she finished licking every last drop from the stick, Shiori stood up in Inuyasha's lap and hugged the older hanyou around the neck, bumping her head under his chin and bringing a soft, contemplative look to his face. “You can't be my pup, Shiori, but you can be part of the pack… but only on one condition.” Shiori let out a delighted squeal and hugged him even tighter, but he held up a cautionary claw. “Only if your mother agrees.”
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha-san!” She jumped out of his arms and stood before the other adults, bowing deeply to each in turn. “I'll go ask my mother! Come on, Shippo!” The kit grinned widely, `popped' back into a small horse, and the two disappeared around the hut at flank speed.
 
Sango watched them go, shaking her head. “Never a dull moment around here… first a kitsune, now a bat-hanyou… just wait until we add in a couple of human kids as well as a couple of quarter inu-youkai pups…”
 
While Kagome choked quietly, Kaede cleared her throat, and fixed a sharp eye on the gently smirking hanyou. “I take it that I am considered a member of thy pack, Inuyasha?”
 
“Keh. Guess so.” His amber eyes took on a wicked gleam. “You do know what your job is, right?”
 
“Enlighten me, I pray thee.”
 
“You get to stay at the `den' and look after the `pups'…”
 
“Gods preserve us if ever I have to tend to thy pups, Inuyasha. I shall hope that they take after Kagome-sama; they'll have a better chance of achieving adulthood.”
 
Miroku arched an eyebrow. “I have to agree with Kaede-sama, Inuyasha. Any child of yours is bound to be a terror, if you are any indication.”
 
“Oi! What's this? Gang up on the hanyou? Keh… see if I save your sorry asses next time something ugly crawls up on us.”
 
Kagome listened with half an ear to the good-natured teasing, laughing at the right spots, trying very hard to not just stand up and walk away to hide her misery. I feel like I'm being pulled apart by what I know… damn… when did this stop being fun and start being painful?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
“Where's my parade armour? Where's my kimono? What the hell?”
 
Kioko Higurashi leaned against the doorframe and smiled beatifically at her flustered daughter. “The Palace sent a driver to pick it up already; you are to wear your red and white outfit and make sure your weapons are cleaned. There's been a slight change in the programme for this evening and Lord Sessaki felt you would be more comfortable in this heat without all those layers.”
 
“Keh! Sounds like they're finally being sensible; I'll bet you nearly melted last year.” Inuyasha lounged on the bed, stripped down to his hakama. He waggled his ears at Mrs. Higurashi. “Maybe she won't fight us so much if we want to take more pictures this year.”
 
“What a lovely idea, Inuyasha!” Kioko clapped her hands enthusiastically. “Your ride isn't arriving for two more hours; how about it, Kagome?”
 
The grey-eyed girl raked her fingers through her hair and sighed, blowing her bangs off her forehead. “Sure… why not? Let me put my cleaning stuff together; I only need about half an hour to finish up my quiver and sword…” What's going on? Why would there be a change? I don't need any more stress
 
She was too preoccupied to notice the sharp amber-eyed glance sent her way.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome's stress level exploded exponentially when the car she was riding in pulled up to the curb at the bottom of the broad staircase of the Palace's Academy wing, and someone other than Yashita was awaiting her arrival.
 
Sessaki noted the way her face went white, and how her throat moved as she swallowed hard. As the driver opened the door, the tall courtier stepped forward to assist her out of the vehicle, then waved the other man back to his seat. Kagome rested a trembling hand in his long-fingered one, not taking her eyes from his face as he spoke. “Driver, take the Celestial Bodyguard's bag to the Crimson Phoenix room in the Imperial wing.”
 
Kagome tightened her grip on Sessaki's hand as he moved to lead her up the stairs. His eyes flashed yellow for a moment and his stripes and moon became palely visible, although his hair remained dark except for the bit of silver at his temples. “What is it, Kagome?” He kept his voice low and gentle; her power hummed against his palm.
 
“It's not that I'm unhappy to see you, sir,” she whispered, her voice catching. “But… where is my husband?”
 
Sessaki laid his other hand over top of hers and pressed reassuringly. “His flight from Okinawa was delayed; he and Shimano will arrive late tomorrow morning.”
 
“Oh…” Kagome visibly drooped, but then straightened, taking a deep breath. “It's just… that… I was looking forward to seeing him…”
 
“We would all rather that he were here.” He watched the young woman try to smile, but the effort only made her look more fragile, her scars stark against her pale cheek. “Come, Kagome… it is too hot to stand out here, and I believe that Kogashu has some torment or other in store for you.”
 
“I really don't feel like dealing with that wolf right now, sir…”
 
“You have my sympathy.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Unlike the previous year, when Kagome had spent a couple delightful hours being kissed by Yashita in various bushes while touring the gardens before supper in the Western Pavilion, this year she found herself exclusively in Kogashu's and Sessaki's company. The first stop was the gravelled area in front of the Imperial Pavilion, where Sessaki seated himself on the veranda while Kogashu taught her the basic moves of the `fight' she would have with the `Spirits of Darkness' the following night.
 
“I have to break you in now, princess, so you don't make Gen and Hake wet their fundoshi tomorrow…”
 
Kagome petulantly scuffed her boots in the gravel. “Why can't I just perform with Yash again? We pulled it off last year.”
 
Sessaki spoke up from his vantage point. “Traditionally there are two opponents; last year was an aberration, and the Emperor has specifically asked that it not be repeated.”
 
“I didn't think we were that bad…” She grumbled, eyeing the smirking wolf youkai who was tossing his sword from hand to hand and looking a little too complacent for her liking.
 
“The performance was outstanding, but tradition must be upheld. Therefore, two opponents…”
 
Kagome turned to appeal directly at Sessaki. “How about you and Yash, sir?”
 
He appeared to think it over for a moment before shaking his head. “Unfortunately, I have other duties.”
 
“The boys would be so disappointed if you threw them over for a dog, princess,” Kogashu mock-snivelled, pretending to duck at the dual growls sent his way.
 
Kagome snorted and pivoted back to face him. “They've seen what I'm capable of in the past; I can't imagine they'll be thrilled to risk their necks even if it is just for show.”
 
“You wouldn't hurt your `brothers', would you?” He managed to sound slightly shocked.
 
The girl smiled wearily, and sank into an offensive stance. “Of course not; you, on the other hand, are fair game, wolfling… someday I'm going to ask Ayame how she beat you into submission…”
 
Kogashu threw back his head and roared with laughter, not incidentally leaving himself wide open. “Ha! Me, submit to a female? Not a freakin' chance, princess… ” Silver flames roared around her as she dashed in and simultaneously slammed into his shoulder while taking him out at the knees with the flat of her sword before racing back out of range, leaving a very surprised wolf youkai flat on his face.
 
Far enough away that the wolf prince couldn't easily retaliate, Kagome returned her gleefully snickering katana to its scabbard. “You really shouldn't talk with your mouth full, even if it is only gravel. You were saying?”
 
Sessaki snorted into his sleeve. “Your ego is very fortunate, wolf, that Yashita and Shimano did not witness this…”
 
Kogashu slowly stood up while dusting off his somewhat less-than-pristine dark brown haori and glaring ferociously at the amused girl. “Dammit, Kagome! How the hell did you drop me?”
 
She ran a hand through her hair. “No shards equals level playing field, wolfling… I've caught up to you since last winter.”
 
“By the fifth fucking hell…”
 
Grinning wickedly, she tossed off another barb. “Come on… it isn't that bad… I haven't even let Fenik out to chase you around a bit. He could use a chance to stretch his legs…”
 
“That damn dog shows up, I quit.”
 
“No worries… he still doesn't eat garbage. Now, we gonna rehearse, or what?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Sleep well, Kagome.” Sessaki's eyes twinkled with well-suppressed mirth. “Excellent work tonight.”
 
Kagome grinned, feeling much better for working out some of her stress on the hapless wolf prince. “Thank you, sir. What time is reveille tomorrow?”
 
“A servant will awaken you just before 0800.”
 
Kagome bowed formally to the tall courtier and entered her room, sliding the door closed behind her and kicking in the locking bolt. She glanced around the candle-lit gracious surroundings, which included a thick futon invitingly turned down… and smiled. Somebody remembered that I prefer a pillow to a block of wood.
 
Crossing to the window, she opened the shutters slightly so Inuyasha would know they were unlockedwhat if he doesn't come to me? I really don't like sleeping without my hanyou… Sighing, she stashed Fenik against the loaded regalia stand next to the wall, undressed, folded her clothing, and crawled into the bedding but sleep did not descend. She laid there for a while, staring at the delicately carved ceiling beams. Are those phoenixes? She angled her head, peering intently into the gloom, until she was sure that what appeared to be swirling, feathery clouds were actually the curving wings of flaming birds. Giving up the eye-strain inducing activity, she closed her eyes and thought about the evening instead.
 
The dinner had been just as lovely as last year, and the musical entertainment equally so, but their gathering was much quieter with two large personalities missing. Just like last year, she had flamed and set arrows around the perimeter of the Imperial Pavilion at Sessaki's direction while Kogashu lit her way with a flaring torch. When she pointed out that her night vision was nearly as good as both of theirs now, thanks to her battle-sight, Kogashu had merely shrugged. “Tradition.”
 
Back at the Western Pavilion, they refreshed themselves with cool drinks but Kagome had suddenly felt incredibly tired, almost to the point of queasiness, and so they had ended the night considerably earlier than the previous year. Now tucked up in bed, despite being emotionally drained and physically exhausted… Kogashu hadn't gone down easy… she shifted and squirmed, trying to find a comfortable position even though she knew it was a fairly forlorn hope without Inuyasha. Maybe I should just sit up until he arrives… but what if he doesn't?
 
“Keh, wench. You forgot your yukata again; not that I mind, or anything…”
 
Inuyasha!” She sat up, the blankets falling away and reached for him. He obligingly leapt down from the window sill, padded over to the futon and knelt beside her, pulling the Tetsusaiga out of his waistband. A moment after that, he struggled to keep his balance as Kagome burrowed through his clothing until she was tucked against his bare chest, hugging him for all she was worth.
 
Koishii? You all right?” Wondering at her clinginess, he tossed his haori and juban to the foot of the futon before running his claws through her hair. Her dark head bobbed an affirmative to his question, but he wasn't convinced. However, if his girl was in need of some skin on skin contact, he wasn't about to complain, especially when she began tugging on the knot holding his hakama. Letting the fire-rat slide down over his hips and thighs, he kicked the garment off then slowly took her down onto the futon, relishing how she arched into him when he lightly tickled her spine with his claws.
 
Resting on his elbows, he pressed gentle kisses along her brow while using his claw-tips to lightly stroke though the hair at her temples. Kagome leaned into the caresses while working at the blankets between them, wriggling strenuously to push them down and bring him closer to her. “Relax, koishii… what's the rush?” She mumbled something against his throat, and he gave in, lifting his hips so that she could accomplish her goal.
 
His muscular body sliding against hers sent heat directly to her groin, and she rolled her hips suggestively. Now it was Inuyasha's turn to mutter before shoving the bedding down to the foot of the futon and stretching out on top of her, bringing as much skin as possible into full contact. Kagome clung to him, outlining his collarbone with kisses, rubbing her cheek against his chest while he rumbled in a lazy sort of way that made her nipples harden from the vibration. They kissed heatedly, intensely, hands caressing, bodies sliding until hardness entered softness, moving together with increasing urgency until he gasped, then howled into her shoulder, his fangs accidentally nicking her while she muffled her own cry in his chest.
 
Panting, he nuzzled her skin, moving his tongue languidly over the marks he left to take away the sting. When she could make her arm obey, she biffed him in the ear anyways. “Owww… that hurt, dog-boy!”
 
“Keh… you told me I wasn't allowed to howl.” He left her shoulder to kiss her throat before rising up high enough to smirk crookedly at her. “Unless you actually wanted to see me take down a squad of these `se-cure-it-ee' guards with both my swords swinging…”
 
“I'm gonna put Kumo's muzzle on you if you ever do that again…”
 
“Oi… you've already collared me, and now you want to muzzle me? Nice try, wench.”
 
She couldn't help but chuckle at that, and when he slid out of her, she snuggled into his chest, and played with his sidelock where it hung across his chest. After they cooled off for a few moments, Inuyasha reached down to grasp the sheet and pull it up around both of them. Settling back, he tucked her head under his chin while tracing little circles on her hip. Kagome nestled in closer, sighing gently and listened to his heartbeat.
 
Inuyasha knew the moment she fell asleep because she became utterly boneless in his arms. Shifting slightly, he arranged himself for slumber then kissed her forehead. In his turn, he examined the carvings adorning the roof beams while thoughts chased their tails through his mind. Why are your eyes full of sadness when you think I'm not looking, Kagome? Something is eating at you… and I intend to find out what.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha awoke in the very early dawn, his ears swivelling rapidly as his subconscious checked the immediate area for threats. Finding none, he relaxed again and curled around the girl in his arms, delighting in the way she murmured his name and burrowed into the crook of his neck. Gently running one hand up and down her back, he watched her sleeping face and pursued several thoughts from the previous night. She looks so sad every time she sees Shiori… something's up there… and why did her sword react like that to the asshole's sword? If Fenik's somehow related to me, does that mean he's also related to Sesshomaru?
 
Just as that somewhat disturbing thought skipped through his mind, silver-flecked grey eyes fluttered open. Kagome stared at his chest for a moment before kissing the soft skin next to her lips and sliding her arm around his trim waist. She was rewarded with a soft rumble and a warm hug. “Morning, koishii.”
 
“Good morning, koibito… so, how was your first time in a palace?” she asked, suspiciously straight-faced.
 
He snorted, then made her squeak by darting his claws over the curve of her behind to tickle the soft skin at the top of her thighs. “Not bad… looking forward to trying it out as a human tonight, too.”
 
“So'm I… no random damage from carried-away hanyous to worry about.”
 
“Don't be so sure; Miroku was sporting some pretty impressive bruises the other day…”
 
She smacked his chest. “You two hentais! Anything else you were comparing?”
 
“Nope.” His eyes sparkled impishly. “Sango couldn't have bitten Miroku down there unless she's really flexible…”
 
“Oh, that's just… eeyew!” Kagome scrunched up her nose; he tapped it with his claw.
 
“… but Okibi might have had something to do with it when she knocked him into the manure heap the other day.”
 
She laughed then, and although he smiled along with her, he also carefully studied her face. Noting again the pinched look to her eyes and the paleness of her skin, despite being thoroughly warmed up last night before a sound sleep, he decided that there was no time like the present. “Koishii, why does Shiori make you sad?”
 
There was no mistaking her frozen shock, instantly followed by an attempt to divert his attention. Inuyasha became uncomfortably aware of exactly how she intended to distract him when she began kissing his throat while her fingers ruffled the silver curls at the base of his shaft. She's done this before to evade me… sneaky wench. Not gonna work this time...
 
Moving quickly, he rolled her onto her back and pinned her hands on either side of her head, resting most of his weight on her hips and thighs so she couldn't twist away. Her eyes widened and she tensed, as if assessing the strength of his hold prior to making a break for it; he leaned into her a little more heavily, which caused her heart rate to accelerate in his chest. What the fuck? Why's she so scared?
 
Leaning in, he kissed her softly on the cheek, purring gently in an effort to relax her. All her muscles were rigid, almost painfully so, and he frowned into her hair. Enough of this shit. “Kagome, I want you to tell me what the hell's going on.” Spiritual energy suddenly prickled threateningly against his skin, and he reared up, snarling. “Don't even try that shit with me; you know I won't let you go no matter what.” The energy drained away as she audibly clenched her teeth and turned her face to the side; fear tainted her scent. Thoroughly startled and now very concerned, he asked, “Has someone threatened you?”
 
“No! Nobody besides you!” she hissed, her eyes screwed tightly closed, as if she thought she could make him go away if she couldn't see him.
 
“I'm not budging, wench; we'll stay like this all day until you tell me what's going on.”
 
“You're just stubborn enough to do that,” she growled between her teeth, practically vibrating with the desire to run from this situation.
 
“You know it better than anyone.” He relaxed a little more, flattening her thoroughly into the futon. She grunted a little from his weight, but stubbornly refused to give in. He tried purring again, and kept his voice gentle. “I'm waiting, Kagome… first, what's up with you and Shiori?”
 
Nothing!”
 
“It must be something… why are you crying?” It was true; tears leaked out from under her lashes.
 
“Because there's an idiot hanyou crushing me!” She wrenched her arms violently, but that only earned her a tighter grip.
 
“Cheap shot, bitch. Let's try again.” She quivered beneath him, and more salty liquid ran into her hair. Studying the misery etched on her face, he gently stroked her cheek with the backs of his claws. “You know something… something about Shiori, because every time you look at her, there's so much pain in your eyes that it hurts me to see it.” Nuzzling her cheek, he tenderly licked away the tears. “Tell me, Kagome… I can't make it go away unless I know.”
 
She exhaled, trembling, and the fear-scent disappeared but was replaced by sadness so overwhelming he could practically taste it. “Please believe me, Inuyasha… if I could tell you, I would, because carrying this knowledge alone feels like it's killing me by slow inches.” Swallowing hard, she turned her head to look him full in the eye. “I can't tell you or it might screw everything up… and Naraku might win.”
 
That shocked him. “The stakes are that high?” Kagome nodded slowly. Inuyasha chewed his lip thoughtfully while contemplating her anguished face. “Does this have something to do with our `ally' on this side?”
 
“Inuyasha, I can't…”
 
“Just nod, then… don't use words, and you haven't broken any rules.” Kagome gave a long sigh, and then before she thought better of it, gave one brief nod. He contemplated that for a moment. “Keh. This `ally' has to be someone who knew us in the past… shit, someone like a youkai… or somehow knows about the Shikon Jewel quest, because equipment like those huge saddlebags arriving out of the blue, or a map showing our route before we even know the way ourselves are a little too obvious.” The way she stiffened beneath him and snapped her eyes closed indicated that he'd hit on something. “You say this `ally' is trustworthy, Kagome, but if you're being stressed out like this....”
 
“It isn't his fault! I was a little too curious about our mission and found out something I wasn't supposed to. He is trustworthy, Inuyasha… he wants us to win.” Despite Kagome's obvious sincerity, he arched a sceptical eyebrow.
 
Him? I want to know who it is, wench.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Anyone who upsets you needs to be straightened out…”
 
“I shouldn't have asked in the first place, and I've been more than sorry ever since. Please, Inuyasha, just drop it because now you're stressing me out!” There was a note of genuine pleading in her tone and it tugged at his heart. My poor bitch…damn! How am I supposed to protect her from this kind of shit? Now I have to worry about youkai being in this time, too? Give me Tetsusaiga and a horde of demons any day…
 
“Keh. You're off the hook… for now.” He slid off her and released her wrists, propping himself up on one elbow while stroking her cheek with his other hand. “Talk to your `ally' about this when you get a chance, because I expect some answers.” Kagome's face fell; he tapped her nose with a claw. “As your alpha, I want to know who you're dealing with.”
 
He wondered at the odd, dark little smile that flitted across her lips. “If you ever meet him, you'll have to be on your best behaviour… maybe even plan to be a little submissive.”
 
“No fucking way would I ever submit…”
 
He wondered why she chortled gleefully, the sound completely at odds with her previous demeanour. “Don't say that, dog-boy, because you just may find yourself eating your words!”
 
“Keh. Whatever, wench.” Kissing the tip of her nose, he rolled out of the futon and stretched, then began dressing. Kagome sat up slowly, watching him with darkly solemn silver-sparked eyes. “I'd better take off, since I can hear other people waking up.” Shoving Tetsusaiga into his sash, he gave her a very straight look. “Be good.”
 
“Aren't I always?” she asked quietly.
 
He rolled his eyes. “I meant `stay out of trouble'…” He paused when she dropped her gaze to her lap, her expression closing like darkness falling across the sun. Moving swiftly, he cupped her face in his hands, stroking his thumbs over her cheeks as she startled, wide-eyed. “Don't look at me like that… I only want to protect you.” Kissing her softly, he briefly nuzzled her cheek before breathing, “See ya, wench.” Rolling up to his feet with feline grace, he stalked to the window. Blowing her a kiss, he was gone into the pearly-grey light.
 
Kagome flopped back down on the futon, exhaling loudly. Damn, damned damnable… how the hell am I going to get out of this one? It isn't like I can introduce him to Lord Sessaki… argh! What the fuck am I going to do? She clasped her hands behind her head and contemplated the phoenixes roiling across the lacquered beams as her thoughts whirled. Okay… I need to calm down… when Yash arrives, I can ask him about this conversation… I hope he remembers it!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж