InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Price of Vengeance ❯ Chapter Six: Declarations ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 6 (Declarations)

Sango cast a worried glance at her friend. Kagome sat mostly submerged under the cooling waters of the swirling brook, refusing to talk. She had returned the night before and refused to look at anyone. Even Shippo had been cowed, and slept with Kirara curled up around him by Sango's side. InuYasha had not returned to the campsite, but Sango had heard him stirring in the tree branches above them. Disturbed, sleep had eluded her until late, when the quiet sounds of the night had lulled her into darkness.

Kagome had risen early, without any of her usual early morning crankiness. Pointedly ignoring InuYasha, she had asked Sango if she wanted to bathe. Sango had quickly agreed, (though she never knew a girl who bathed as much as Kagome), thinking she might get some word as to what had happened between her and the hanyou in the woods last night.

Kagome had carefully laid aside her yellow sundress--it was her only garment, now that the well-gate between here and her home was closed off--and proceeded to scrub herself until she was red all over. She had gone from furious to grieving to numb in a continuous cycle that worried Sango. Never easy with emotions, Sango did not know how to ask the disturbed girl what the problem was.

Drying off her own long black hair with a harsh cloth, Sango was surprised by the bitter words that came suddenly from Kagome.

"He kissed me."

Ignoring her own heart, which felt leaden like a stone, Sango raised her eyebrows in gentle inquiry, wanting to be there for her friend, but not wanting to break Kagome's opening mood with awkward words.

"And then he left. He just left." Kagome hit the water with a fist, sending water splashing out further into the rippling brook. Pulling her hand out, she made a face as she stared at her finger tips. "Ugh. I'm getting all wrinkled. And this water is way too cold!"

Amazed at the girl's lightening change of mood, Sango sat up as Kagome stepped out of the water. The girl was certainly beautiful, white and graceful. Sometimes Sango felt like a stick next to her. Over the past three years, Kagome's curves had filled out into the promise of womanhood. Sango had never really thought about her own body. She knew she was fair, even considered beautiful by some, but next to Kagome's soft curves she felt as hard as leather. Muscles and scars covered most of her frame, from all the training and fighting she had done in her young life. She had never really thought about her own beauty, or lack thereof, until she had compared herself to Kagome, and the way that a certain hanyou looked at the girl.

*And monk.* She hastily added in her mind, picturing Miroku's leering smile. She let out a soft chuckle, which had Kagome staring at her in surprise.

"Miroku." Sango waved her hand airily at Kagome. Kagome's dark brown eyes softened.

"You really like him, don't you, Sango?" The girl asked.

"Me?" Sango blinked. "Like that...hentai?" She suppressed a bitter laugh. If only Kagome knew! But Sango would never let anyone think that she could ever love...

Abruptly changing the subject, she eyed her friend. "So what happened last night, Kagome? We were all so worried about you."

"I know. Sorry I ran off like that." Kagome used the towel on her own wet hair. Her features hidden by black snakes of wet hair and the rough towel, she said haltingly, "It's just..."

Sango reached out and placed a comforting hand on the girl's arm. Giving it a tiny squeeze of understanding and compassion, she whispered. "You don't have to say anything. I know."

*~*~*~*~*

"Aren't they done yet?" InuYasha grumbled, arms crossed as he stared where the two girls had left through the brush of the forest.

"We could go check." Miroku suggested hopefully. InuYasha flashed him a disgusted look.

"Hentai." He growled.

Miroku shrugged as he put more dirt over the ashes of their campfire. "It was just a suggestion." Sitting back on his heels, he eyed the impatient hanyou blandly.

"So. Did you kiss her?"

InuYasha started, and then glared at the houshi.

"What if I did?"

"And then you left her alone, I guess. Stupid, InuYasha." Miroku sighed.

"What would you know about it?!" The hanyou sprung from the ground to the nearest tree branch in a swirl of dust and dead leaves.

Standing, Miroku picked up his staff and shook his head at the half-demon. InuYasha tried to ignore his words, but the hanyou's sharp hearing wouldn't let him.

"You better apologize."

*Damn.*

Shippo waited impatiently for the rest of group to get their things together and start off. Perched on Kirara's neck, he sighed and crossed his arms over his chest like a certain hanyou he knew but would never admit to imitating. "They sure do take forever to get going, Kirara."

The big cat gave him a slight growl in agreement, her red eyes watching her mistress. Sango finished tying her hair back and stepped forward to give the youkai a good ear scratching. The neko rumbled a strong enough purr that it vibrated Shippo on her back, making him giggle and laugh. Kirara leaned into Sango's hands, and the slayer smiled at her friends.

"Stupid cat." InuYasha growled as he passed by them. Kirara growled back, somehow not interrupting her purr while she did it. "Hmmph. Whatever." InuYasha stalked on.

"My, isn't he in a good mood this morning." Miroku said casually as he came up beside Sango, who stared after InuYasha. She had stopped scratching Kirara's ears, and the cat bumped her on the nearest thigh with her large head. Sango took the hint, and continued scratching. Kirara's purr rumbled louder.

"I was wondering..." Miroku leaned closer to Sango, who eyed him suspiciously. "Would you purr for me if I was to----"

Quick as a flash, Sango backhanded the monk with his own staff.

"OW!!" The monk was now on the ground, holding his head, looking aggrieved.

"Hentai!" Sango threw down his staff and stalked after InuYasha.

Shippo stared down at the houshi, wide-eyed and grinning. Kagome, pulling on her hastily repaired backpack, shook her head at the monk. "You never learn, do you, Miroku?" She asked as she helped him stand up. As soon as he was standing, Kagome started following Sango into the woods. Kirara turned after her, Shippo giggling on her back.

Miroku rubbed the knot that was forming on the back of his head as he bent to retrieve his staff. The rings tingled faintly as he followed the neko youkai, asking the thin air around him,

"What did I say?"

*~*~*~*~*

The group traveled through most of the day silent and tense, lost in their own thoughts. Sango was still glaring at Miroku, and InuYasha was still growling over every little rock that got in his way as he stalked on ahead. Kagome kept giving InuYasha hurt, wondering looks, and Shippo wanted to scream at them all for being so tense and cross and childish.

"AAH!" The kitsune's cry caused everyone to whirl around. InuYasha was there in a flash, the Tetsusaiga brightening to life in his hand as he looked wildly around for the cub's attacker.

"Shippo! What's the matter?" Kagome raced to the kit's side as the others drew around the boy and Kirara.

"I just can't take it any more!" Shippo thumped his fists into Kirara's thick fur in a tantrum. The neko wuffed in annoyance.

"Shippo! Stop that!" Sango said angrily.

"You little idiot!" InuYasha yelled at the kitsune, sheathing his sword. "You scared the spit out of me! I'm gonna---"

"Don't you dare touch him, InuYasha!" Kagome grabbed up the cub in a tight hug, glaring at the angry hanyou.

"Calm down, everyone." Miroku said, ever the peacekeeper. "We need to find out what Shippo can't take anymore." InuYasha growled angrily in reply.

"This! You! All of you!" Shippo gestured wildly in Kagome's arms. "You're all acting like babies!"

"Who's the baby, huh?" InuYasha's amber eyes glowed furiously.

"You be quiet, InuYasha!" Kagome glared back, all her anger over his abrupt departure last night finding a good focus. "Leave him alone! And you ARE acting like a baby!"

"Me?" InuYasha growled. "I'm not the one yelling and scaring everyone!"

In one of her amazing changes of mood, Kagome hugged the little cub to her even as she admonished him, "That's true, Shippo. You shouldn't just cry wolf---"

"Wolf!" InuYasha shouted. "Now you're talking about WOLVES!"

Kagome's head whipped up, her eyes frosty. Miroku and Sango stepped back, staring at the pair nervously.

"Uh-oh. Now he's done it." Miroku whispered.

"I bet you're missing that flea-bitten cur, your lover-boy Koga!" InuYasha shouted.

"You stupid..." Kagome hugged Shippo so tight in her fury he yipped. Loosening her hold instantly, the cub made a break for it, and took shelter on Sango's shoulder. Kagome finally found her word. "You stupid...mutt-face!"

"Mutt-face!" They were toe to toe now, glaring at each other like fighting youkai. "You've been spending time with that stupid wolf-boy, haven't you!"

"You stupid jerk! You don't even know what's right in front of you!"

"Look who's calling me stupid! You're the one in love with that stupid mongrel!"

"You really are stupid, InuYasha! If you could see the nose on your face, you could tell who I really AM in love with!"

"How hard can it be? You and that flea-bitten cur should be more than happy together!"

"You stupid jerk! If you would open your eyes, you would see that I was in love with YOU!"

InuYasha blinked. "Wha...?"

Kagome whirled, ready to stalk off, when Kirara suddenly tensed, hissing.

"What...?" Sango immediately spun toward where Kirara was looking, grasping her weapon defensively.

"What is it?" Shippo shook with fear on her shoulder.

Miroku pulled his staff around, looking for the cause of the icy shiver that shot down his back. "Something's here."

InuYasha whirled, pulling the Tetsusaiga free as the brush to their right parted. He stared in shock as his half-brother calmly stepped forward.

SesshouMaru stared at the group with cold detachment. Standing proudly, he surveyed the defensive allies. His intense, golden eyes narrowed on his half-brother and the girl behind him, who regarded the Taiyoukai with a wide brown stare.

"A touching drama, that was." Although his cold face remained expressionless, a slight sneer colored his deep voice.

"You!" InuYasha growled. "SesshouMaru!"

"I know my own name, hanyou. How many times must you repeat it to me?" The Lord taunted, easily inflaming his emotional brother.

"What the hell are you doing here?" InuYasha demanded. "What the hell do you want?"

The Taiyoukai regarded him with icy silence.

"You can't have the Tetsusaiga! It's mine!" InuYasha raised the glowing fang.

"I'm not here for the sword." SesshouMaru replied coldly.

"What?" InuYasha was taken aback. His mouth fell open in frank surprise, showing the tips of his sharp canines.

SesshouMaru allowed a little smile to curve his lips, allowing a glimpse of his own sharp fangs to appear. What he said next shocked them all to the core.

"I'm here for the girl."