InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Price of Vengeance ❯ Chapter Eight: Taken ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Eight (Taken)

SesshouMaru's head jerked up toward the disturbance. Growling his annoyance at the distraction, his attention wavered between Naraku's annoying wind demon and the sudden vacuum of power above and to the side of him. Something was drawing power from the very forest and air surrounding them, drawing it into a center, much like the void in the monk's hand when he released the Wind Tunnel.

Kagura's gasp pulled his narrowed gaze back to the pale sorceress. He could feel the sudden suspension of everything. Kagura's winds swirled to sudden silence, and the eerie scream of an Ash-demon was cut off in mid-cry. Even the lightening strike of his poisonous green whip sizzled to stillness. It was as if the very earth drew breath around them.

"ENOUGH!"

The cry reverberated through the Taiyoukai's very being. He could feel the denial throbbing in his soul. Tensing defensively in anger, SesshouMaru gripped the hilt of the Tenseiga instinctively as he stared up at the pulsing power above him. White and pink fire danced around the shadowed form of...something, someone...that flung its arms out in attack.

Basic instincts took over, and the Lord fled the awesome release of that pure power. With reflexes honed and sharpened to the keen precision of a fine sword, the Taiyoukai swept back, away from the onrushing wave of pure energy that emanated from the shadowed center of the furious ball of pink fire. As quick as he was, he barely avoided being swept away in the consuming wave of raw force.

Darting up and away from the sparkling waves of sacred power, the Taiyoukai shot up like an arrow to the relative safety of the air above. Mentally stabilizing his aerial position, he studied the scene far below him in some incredulity.

The pulsating power bathed the surrounding forest for nearly a quarter mile. Eerie screams and defiant yowls from the swarming youkai were abruptly cut off as the surge touched the demon horde and swept them away into dust like a clearing wind. Kagura's scream pierced a new decibel in sound as she was caught in the purifying wave. He saw the Wind Sorceress, her robes and feather torn from her in the initial blast, writhe in pain and horror as the fuchsia-streaked power swamped over her. Her white form, red eyes wide and terrified, mouth open in a silent scream, disappeared into a sudden purple-black miasma, and her essence was gone.

"Kagome!"

The bewildered cry made Lord SesshouMaru turn his head sharply to the left. Behind the spinning sphere, a neko youkai hovered on fiery paws, his hanyou brother's foolish allies on its back. The girl was not among them, and the Taiyoukai looked at the bright figure in the pulsating ball of pure energy with narrowed eyes. Surely, it couldn't be InuYasha's ningen. She might be able to claim the paltry powers of a mortal miko, but this...

The energy was slowly dissipating into points of pink and white light, and the furious fuchsia glow that surrounded the shadow was flickering and losing its focus. The Lord watched coolly as, with a final flare of released energy, the lights flickered and died. The shadowed form crumpled in on itself, and fell toward the forest floor below. Black hair streamed over the girl's face, her short yellow dress billowing in the downward pull of the earth.

"Kagome!"

The cry made the Taiyoukai's eyes narrow. Maybe the girl wasn't as powerful as he thought. To be so easily overcome by a mere release of sacred energy...

Regardless, it would not hinder his plans for his half-bastard brother's woman. He just needed InuYasha awake and aware to make the humiliation of defeat complete.

SesshouMaru waited dispassionately, knowing that the girl's friends would catch the ningen before she fell too far. Even as the girl's limp form shot down to earth, the neko roared and sped under the falling girl. The monk grasped the girl in his outstretched arms, and desperately clutched her limp form to him.

The Lord's attention was drawn back to his brother. InuYasha, blown back into the trees by the sacred energy blast, was gingerly picking himself up. Clutching the rusted length of his sword, the stupid hanyou glared around the now-empty clearing. His angry gaze finally looked up, to meet the Taiyoukai's cold one. Flashing his canines, the hanyou yelled defiance at the Lord.

SesshouMaru smiled.

*~*~*~*~*

"Take us down, Kirara!" Sango ordered the neko youkai, as she peered anxiously over Miroku's shoulder at the limp form of her friend. The neko rumbled agreement, and coasted down at an easy pace, trying not to jar Kagome. Shippo was clutching one of Kagome's pale hands, a look of utter terror and devastation on his little face. Tears brightened his green eyes, and he shook with worry over his friend.

"How is she, Miroku?" Sango asked in a terse whisper as the big cat stretched its fore-paws to land softly on the ground. Uprooted trees and upturned earth marred the greenery, but Kagome's purifying energy had cleared away all signs of the attacking youkai and had even put out the smouldering fires of the Ash-demons.

"She's breathing." Miroku said, tense with worry. He slid awkwardly off the neko, trying to keep Kagome's weight balanced. Kirara rumbled encouragement as Miroku levered the girl into his arms. Shippo, mewling with anxiety, promptly scrambled up the houshi's arm to his shoulder, where he could keep watch on his beloved Kagome.

Carrying her to the base of the nearest tree, Miroku carefully laid Kagome down on the ground. Shippo hopped down to kneel at the unconscious girl's side and grip one of her limp hands in his own small paws. "Miroku! Kagome will be all right, won't she?" Tears slipped down red cheeks.

Sango slid off Kirara, patting the neko youkai in absent thanks, and followed Miroku to the tree. The taijiya carefully laid her boomerang aside, and knelt on Kagome's other side, across from the anxious monk. Picking up Kagome's left hand, she counted the pulse beats in the girl's wrist. Her heartbeat was fast, but strong. Smiling, she met Miroku's worried blue eyes.

"She's all right, Shippo." Miroku grinned, a sigh of relief shuddering through his tense muscles.

The cub whimpered, trying to hold back more tears, and hugged Kagome's hand tightly to him, trembling. He kept his head bowed, his fluffy tail shaking as he tried to contained his sobs.

Sango reached out a tentative hand to the kitsune, and awkwardly patted him on the back. Shippo refused to be moved, and stayed trembling by his Kagome's side.

"Shippo." Sango said softly. "She's just unconscious. That...that...power...just drained her. Kagome will be fine."

Kagome stirred slightly at the sound of her name, a quiver going through her limp body. Lashes flickered on pale cheeks. "InuYasha..." She murmured.

"Kagome!" Shippo's eyes brightened. Letting go of her hand, he dashed the tears from his eyes. "Kagome! It's me, Shippo! Are you okay? Are you hurt? Please say you're okay!"

Kagome's eyelids fluttered before she blinked them open. Her eyes tried to focus, and she shuddered with chill and exhaustion. "Shippo..." She said faintly. The fox cub abandoned her limp hand to pet her pale cheek.

"You're so cold, Kagome! What happened to you? I was so worried! I thought you were..." The kitsune shivered at the evil thought.

"Can you move, Kagome?" Miroku asked anxiously. Kagome smiled faintly at the worry in her friends' eyes. Her fingers fluttered, and she felt empty and cold and as heavy as a ton of bricks.

"I'm so tired..." She whispered, closing her eyes.

"Kagome!" Shippo's anguished cry revived her. With effort, for every move seemed like she was wading though honey, she opened her eyes and tried to stir.

"No, Kagome." Sango said, patting her numbed hand. "Don't move yet."

"The demons..." Kagome whispered.

"Gone. All gone." Miroku said. "You killed them all, Kagome, with your energy wave."

"InuYasha?" Kagome closed her eyes wearily. Why did she feel so cold?

"Er..." Miroku blinked, a chagrined look on his face. The taijiya bit her lip. Kagome's eyes flickered open at their silence, and she managed a faint, tired glare at the two friends.

"I should go see..." Sango said, hurriedly standing up and retrieving her Hiraikotsu.

"Er, me, too." The houshi, flushed with embarrassment, backed away from the exhausted girl. "We'll go find him, Kagome. Don't you worry. He's okay. He can take care of himself, after all. He's pretty tough, you know. But we'll go check, all right?" Avoiding the girl's eyes, he hurried after the slayer.

"Don't worry, Kagome." Shippo said with assurance. Now that he knew his Kagome was fine, all was right in the world, and his usual spunky optimism was reasserting itself. "I'm sure InuYasha is fine."

*~*~*~*~*

"Dammit!"

Inuyasha glared at the rusted blade in his hand, shaking it impatiently like a stick. Indignant rage consumed him. *Why won't the Tetsusaiga transform?*

"Problems, little brother?" SesshouMaru taunted, as he slowly swept down to the ground. Silver-white hair swirled behind the Taiyoukai as he settled softly to the floor and stilled behind the cold, arrogant sneer.

"Shut up, SesshouMaru!" InuYasha yelled, seeing red. "I don't need any stupid sword to finish YOU off!" He flung the bent blade aside, and assumed a defiant fighting stance. White claws gleamed with a razor edge as he brandished his right hand.

"Foolish hanyou." Faint amusement flickered in the coldly golden eyes. "You just threw away your one chance at saving your ningen."

InuYasha roared, jumping at the arrogant youkai. "Iron Reaver, Soul Stealer!" He shouted as his hand, deadly claws extended, reached for his brother.

SesshouMaru easily sidestepped the enraged hanyou, a slight smirk on his lips. Whirling around, his own strong hand grabbed InuYasha's other arm in a tight grip. Green mist poured out of his palm, sizzling the hanyou's flesh as the poison ate through the skin.

"AAH!" InuYasha roared in pain as SesshouMaru's grip jerked him around and poison ate through his left wrist. "Damn you!" He hissed between gasps of pain. SesshouMaru merely regarded him dispassionately.

"You are a half-breed, InuYasha. Accept the fact that you will never be a match for my power." SesshouMaru's voice was unemotional and cool.

"Stupid youkai!" InuYasha growled, amber eyes glowing with red hot rage. His right hand tightened spasmodically, and he flexed his claws. "Iron Reaver!" He snarled at the Taiyoukai, and hit the arrogant Lord in his unprotected left side with all his might.

Growling, SesshouMaru released the hanyou's arm and swept back, away from the tearing claws. Yellow streaks of power followed him. The black armor that protect his upper chest and maimed arm cracked and fell away. A sullen stain of blood seeped through the white silk of his robe, and dripped down his side.

InuYasha laughed as red streaks seeped through the narrowed golden eyes of his enraged older brother. "You're a stupid, posturing dog, SesshouMaru!" He taunted, flexing his claws.

The taunt seemed to mollify the Taiyoukai, and InuYasha blinked, not expecting that the Lord would react that way. What should have maddened the Taiyoukai into uncontrollable rage was having the opposite effect. The red streaks disappeared from the intensely golden stare, to be replaced by the faint amusement of before. InuYasha stared at his brother in frank surprise.

"You are a child, InuYasha." The Lord of the Western Lands said bitingly. "I do not have time for your silly, little games."

*What?*

Quick as lightening, the Taiyoukai's poison whip flicked out and cracked above the hanyou, in and out in snapping sweeps.

Ducking instinctively, InuYasha grinned toothily when the whip did not touch him. "Dumb dog!" He taunted his brother. "You're getting old, SesshouMaru! Your aim is failing!" Raising his right hand, he flexed his white claws meaningfully.

A single brow raised on the arrogant face, and InuYasha heard a faint rustle above him. Suddenly nervous, he glimpsed upward. Amber eyes widening as dark shadows enveloped him, he saw the tall trees surrounding him tilt over menacingly. With a yell of rage, he tried to put up his claws in futile defense as the trees fell over him, crushing him to the ground with their weight. Groaning timber cracked and thudded as more trees fell over the buried hanyou, his cry lost in the roaring of cracking timber.

*~*~*~*~*

"NO!"

The cry came from above SesshouMaru, and he looked up to see the flying neko, InuYasha's ningen allies on its back. With an impatient growl, he raised his glowing hand. The yellow-green mist swirled between sharp claws, and he made a complicated dance with the extended palm. Weaving in and and out in a complex pattern, he suddenly flexed his fingers, claw-tips glinting, and released the ball of poisonous miasma.

"InuYasha!" The taijiya called out, holding her weapon threateningly. Hot brown eyes blazed at the Taiyoukai, and she released her boned Hiraikotsu a moment before the green mist surrounded them. The monk tried to deflect the miasma to the side with his protective staff, but the mist was too powerful for the houshi. The neko snarled and tried to flinch away as the mist expanded and enveloped the interfering ningen. Abruptly, the defiant roar of the neko youkai was cut off as the shield surrounded them.

SesshouMaru easily sidestepped the spinning boomerang, and with a casual swipe of his claws, he broke its reverse spin. The Hiraikotsu, abruptly stopped from its momentum, crashed into the ground, leaving a swath of torn earth behind it. The Lord allowed a slight smile to curve his mouth. It was almost too easy.

*Feeble ningen. Why do they ever try to defy my will?*

The poisonous shield that surrounded the hanyou's allies would keep long enough for the Lord to get what he wanted. Eventually, the ningen would break it open, but not in time to help the girl. SesshouMaru sniffed carefully, and his cold gaze turned toward where the girl lay in the sheltering forest. A faint wisp of youkai scent, tangled with the girl's, made him stiffen, and he was there in a breath's moment, glaring down at them.

The girl lay against the roots of a tree, black hair tangled over her shoulders. Her bright yellow shift (it was too short and revealing to be anything else) only emphasized her pale white skin all the more. The girl's eyes were closed, but the Taiyoukai could tell that the girl was resting, not dead. A small kitsune cub was huddled by the girl's side, avidly watching her. The Taiyoukai felt a spurt of impatience. This was the demon he had sensed?

The fox cub tensed, suddenly sensing the Taiyoukai's own powerful presence. Big green eyes looked over the small shoulder, and the furry orange tail almost stood on end in fright. The Lord silently regarded the little pup, waiting coolly.

"SesshouMaru." The kit whispered, terrified. The Taiyoukai could smell the excited fear on the pup, but he was startled momentarily when, instead of running, the pup jumped around with his fists held at his sides. "You can't have Kagome!" He shouted defiantly.

"Get out of the way, fox child." The Lord growled.

"No!" The kit yelled, and threw a bunch of leaves at the Taiyoukai. Half a dozen kitsune, each an exact clone of the little fox, were running around screaming, "No! No! No!"

Impatient with such nonsense, SesshouMaru allowed his poison whip to snap out at the annoying kits. Back and forth his whip flashed in eerie green light. The merest brush of the lethal whip sent the clones disappearing with a little "pop" of released air. The Lord let the poison sizzle and die once the illusions were taken care of, and he narrowed golden eyes on the trembling fox.

"Leave, kitsune." SesshouMaru warned again, his voice cold.

"No! You won't hurt Kagome! You won't!" The kit huddled over the limp form of the girl. His shouting was causing the girl to stir. SesshouMaru was running out of time...and patience.

The little fox reached into his kimono, and hurled a spinning top at the Taiyoukai. The top enlarged as it spun toward him. SesshouMaru easily batted the toy aside.

"You are beginning to annoy me, child." He said coldly. "I am done with these games." He took a menacing step forward.

Suddenly, the kit changed. Where he had been standing protectively in front of the girl, there was now another girl, exactly alike to InuYasha's ningen, lying beside the first. SesshouMaru smiled faintly.

Except for the tail.

Bright and fluffy, with its hair standing on end in fright. The fox youkai was still too young to think about the little details.

Striding forward, the Taiyoukai reached down with his deadly claws and clamped his hand around the betraying tail. A yelp of fright, and the illusion dissipated. Scared green eyes met the narrowed golden ones as the Lord held the kit up by the tail.

"Enough of your interference, pup. I do not kill cubs, but your childish games are growing tedious." With a casual toss, the Taiyoukai hurled the kitsune into the air. A loud yelp of fright was followed by a rustle of leaves from the trees some distance from the clearing. The kitsune was unhurt, but it would take the pup some time to come back. In the meantime...

SesshouMaru turned his attention back to the girl. So much loyalty and protection for such a little, useless ningen. The kit's defiance was almost admirable, if annoying.

As the Taiyoukai contemplated the ningen before him, the girl stirred and opened weary brown eyes. "Shippo...?" She whispered in confusion.

SesshouMaru was kneeling by the girl's side in a moment. His tail unfurled even as his clawed hand glowed faintly light green. "No." He said simply, taking a strange delight in the sudden frightened tremble that shuddered through the girl's small form as comprehension dawned. The scent of the girl's fear was almost...compelling. SesshouMaru allowed a faint smile to pass over his narrow lips as he touched the girl's forehead with his lightly glowing hand. The girl's eyes fluttered closed with imposed sleep, and her tense body went limp.

Gathering the surprisingly light weight onto his arm, SesshouMaru used his tail to wrap support over the girl's back and dangling legs. The girl's head, facing away from him, rested on his arm, her hair tumbling down like a black waterfall over his arm and chest. He could feel the fast beats of her heart through his white robes, and the girl was surprisingly cool to the touch. The Taiyoukai wondered idly if the girl was more like InuYasha's dead miko than presumed.

Lifting his head up from studying the girl's shadowed cheek, he tested the air delicately with his nose. InuYasha should be releasing himself at any moment. He took to the air, and waited patiently, the unconscious girl held tightly to him.

The sharp sound of cracking wood pierced the forest, and the mournful groans of splintering timber proceeded the sudden explosion as the hanyou finally released himself. Panting with strain, eyes faintly red with anger, the half-breed tensed, looking around.

"SesshouMaru!" He shouted, eyes scanning the forest floor. The Taiyoukai waited for the foolish hanyou to look up.

Amber eyes widening in shock, InuYasha finally saw them.

"NO!"

The shout reverberated and echoed through the forest. SesshouMaru merely smiled.

"Be proud, InuYasha. Now you know the humiliation of defeat. You will never be nothing more than a half-bastard hanyou. Understand your weakness, and bow down to the miserable knowledge that you cannot even protect one stupid little ningen girl."

"NO!!!" InuYasha roared in pain and denial. "KAGOME!!!"

Satisfaction flared in the golden eyes of the cold Taiyoukai. With a mere mental thought, he was soaring up above the tormented hanyou, the girl held tightly to him. The helpless, raging hanyou disappeared behind him as he increased his speed. The first taste of vengeance had been delicious.

And this was just the start.